PDA

View Full Version : Brock Ravet 2019

Pages : [1] 2

Zagdawg
06-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Prior to his performance at the Gonzaga team camp, the Kittitas high school star admitted that he hadn’t heard much from the Zags staff.
“Actually, before the team camp, I really hadn’t heard much from Gonzaga,” he said with a laugh. “The main school before then had been Oregon St.”

However, the tradition of having elite campers play with current and former Zags changed everything for Ravet.

“It still doesn’t feel real,” explained the 2019 guard. “It didn’t take me too much time at all, because Gonzaga has always been my dream school. He (Coach Few) just asked me if I wanted to commit, and for me, it was just a once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn’t pass up.”

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1788031-gonzaga-adds-its-2019-class

Kiddwell
06-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks for sharing. Still wonder if the Zags see something in young Brock that they saw in Northwestern's Bryant McIntosh (a bit taller, three-star outta high school, who figured prominently for the Wildcats). Or maybe someone else among our Big Dance opponents. Very happy for Brock and expecting his game to mature and mature as he completes high school.

:clap:

:]

MDABE80
06-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Take 30 minutes and listen to his interview Z Native posted last week. It's really worth it.

ZagaZags
06-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Take 30 minutes and listen to his interview Z Native posted last week. It's really worth it.

Link?

509er
06-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Take this for what it's worth but a friend of mine was talking to Few at an AAU tournie Brock was playing in 3-4 weeks before he committed and Few didn't know who he was. Maybe he was playing possum or maybe it was a case of love at first sight.

Zagdawg
06-28-2017, 12:22 PM
ZN link

https://player.fm/series/superstar-showcase/brock-ravet-pg-kittitas-28

Zagdawg
07-22-2017, 11:18 AM
Aaron Burgin‏
@FullTimeHoops1

2019 Eastern Washington Elite PG Brock Ravet is very good. The 6-2 lead guard is crafty, scores it from multiple levels and dimes it

Radbooks
07-22-2017, 11:38 AM
There were a couple of nice tweets about him yesterday too:

Josh Gershon‏Verified account @JoshGershon Jul 20

Liked 2019 #Gonzaga commit Brock Ravet today. Combo guard from Washington who can handle, pass and shoot. Plays hard.

And an interview:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1792593-pump-brock-ravet-talks-gonzaga-commitment

zagsfanforlife
07-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Iknow a few people connected w the aau scene. Said Dickau highly recommended the kid and he can really play.

JPtheBeasta
07-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the reports. I guess the coaching staff may know what they are doing after all [/sarcasm].

Wade and Ravet are looking like a good one-two punch.

Zagdawg
07-26-2017, 08:20 PM
https://twitter.com/kthurst20/status/890418984247476224

webspinnre
07-27-2017, 02:39 PM
https://twitter.com/kthurst20/status/890418984247476224

Don't love the feet after the shot, but lovely step-back.

BYUZag
08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
I've spent the last 2 weeks on the road following Brock's AAU team, Eastern Washington Elite Red. Total of 8 games.

I'm a believer now :)

Kid is currently a shoot first point-guard, but with his handles and (relative) quickness, he'll be able to compete in the WCC.

Worthington
08-01-2017, 01:39 PM
I've spent the last 2 weeks on the road following Brock's AAU team, Eastern Washington Elite Red. Total of 8 games.

Kid is currently a shoot first point-guard, but with his handles and (relative) quickness, he'll be able to compete in the WCC.

Thanks for your assessment!

I have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. What would you say Brock needs to work on most over his final 2 years of high school? Do you see him as being an instant impact player coming into college basketball or is he somebody who will likely need a few seasons to grow into a major role with the team?

Appreciate any more insight you're able to provide :)

cggonzaga
08-01-2017, 01:41 PM

I heard some games he looked great and others not so much. Still a lot of inconsistency in shot and shot selection. Heard he struggled against elite, long athletes and athleticism may be an issue in college although he does have some shake and in the box quickness. Overall he had a good couple of weeks and impressed some scouts but not enough to call him high major.

maynard g krebs
08-01-2017, 01:44 PM
he'll be able to compete in the WCC.

Around here that's a pretty tepid endorsement.

BYUZag
08-01-2017, 02:45 PM
I have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. What would you say Brock needs to work on most over his final 2 years of high school? Do you see him as being an instant impact player coming into college basketball or is he somebody who will likely need a few seasons to grow into a major role with the team?

Appreciate any more insight you're able to provide :)

Here's my honest opinion, my expertise is more post-play and bigs, but here goes...

To the best of my knowledge, he's an "old" junior, has already turned 17... (Same with Anton Watson, I believe...) So, he's not really going to grow a ton more. He does seem to have some more physical development left in the tank, young face, slight build currently, but now sure how much.

He's been "the man" on his high school team for 2 years already, granted, in a lower classification. If he had played in the GSL, he would have been 1st Team All-GSL, and my guess, would have scored 20 points a game on most teams.

He has incredible body control and technique on small, often overlooked parts of the game for a guard, like rebounding, being ball-sure in traffic, and variety in finishing around the rim.

He needs to work on defense and being a floor general. He often overlooks his big guys to kick the ball out to another guard, misses some of the drive and dish for more of the drive and kick...

...At times settles for step-back 3's when aggressively guarded when there are much better matchups on the floor.

Has spent some serious time on his game, with high-level instruction. That much is very obvious.

BYUZag
08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Around here that's a pretty tepid endorsement.

LOL, I get it, but that's my assessment :)

BYUZag
08-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I heard some games he looked great and others not so much. Still a lot of inconsistency in shot and shot selection. Heard he struggled against elite, long athletes and athleticism may be an issue in college although he does have some shake and in the box quickness. Overall he had a good couple of weeks and impressed some scouts but not enough to call him high major.

I'd concur with your assessment, but production-wise, he was leaps and bounds ahead of almost every guard he matched up against.

Some of that is the team basically gave him free reign to create, but that's the AAU environment.

I'd guess he ends up as a 3 star recruit on major services by the time HS is over.

cggonzaga
08-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Same with Anton Watson, I believe...

Pretty sure Anton is actually young for his age. Agree with your assessment on Ravet.

cggonzaga
08-01-2017, 07:26 PM
I'd concur with your assessment, but production-wise, he was leaps and bounds ahead of almost every guard he matched up against.

Some of that is the team basically gave him free reign to create, but that's the AAU environment.

I'd guess he ends up as a 3 star recruit on major services by the time HS is over.

Basically what I heard. Fun couple of weeks BYU?

soccerdud
08-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Pretty sure Anton is actually young for his age. Agree with your assessment on Ravet.

in the end, don't we all aspire to be young for our age?

cggonzaga
08-01-2017, 08:31 PM
in the end, don't we all aspire to be young for our age?

Touché, ha. Meant young for his grade.

BYUZag
08-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Basically what I heard. Fun couple of weeks BYU?

Amazing time, wouldn't trade it for the world. AAU basketball has it's ups and downs. Much more of a grind than High School, for sure.

Great, closely contested games, and then utterly crappy blowouts...

Amazingly talented, classy competition, and then rude and ignorant coaches/fans the next game...

(We had one opposing coach scream at his players during a time-out... "You punks are getting eaten alive by a bunch of slow, skinny, white kids who live on wheat farms in the middle of nowhere!" He then noticed I was listening from the stands and yelled over to me, "Hey, no disrespect intended!")

...College coaches show up and watch closely, expected college coaches "no show" or text the player later and say, "sorry, I was in the wrong gym".

It's a ride :)

This team, Eastern Washington Elite, plays in the April season at 3 events (Bellevue, Salem and Spokane), and then 3 events in the July season (Bellevue, Anaheim and Vegas) and is extremely well-run organization, with Jim Psomas being the head coach. Jim is highly-respected in PNW basketball, a straight shooter and class act.

Worthington
08-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Here's my honest opinion, my expertise is more post-play and bigs, but here goes...

To the best of my knowledge, he's an "old" junior, has already turned 17... (Same with Anton Watson, I believe...) So, he's not really going to grow a ton more. He does seem to have some more physical development left in the tank, young face, slight build currently, but now sure how much.

He's been "the man" on his high school team for 2 years already, granted, in a lower classification. If he had played in the GSL, he would have been 1st Team All-GSL, and my guess, would have scored 20 points a game on most teams.

He has incredible body control and technique on small, often overlooked parts of the game for a guard, like rebounding, being ball-sure in traffic, and variety in finishing around the rim.

He needs to work on defense and being a floor general. He often overlooks his big guys to kick the ball out to another guard, misses some of the drive and dish for more of the drive and kick...

...At times settles for step-back 3's when aggressively guarded when there are much better matchups on the floor.

Has spent some serious time on his game, with high-level instruction. That much is very obvious.

This is awesome, thank you!

He definitely still does look young for his age so hopefully he will continue to grow/fill out. In a perfect world, I'd love to see him transfer to a school that plays in a higher league. He's already proven everything that he can at the 2B level, I can't imagine that he's going to be challenged very often by equal/superior athletes in that league, which is really what he needs exposure to.

BYUZag
08-02-2017, 11:14 AM
This is awesome, thank you!

He definitely still does look young for his age so hopefully he will continue to grow/fill out. In a perfect world, I'd love to see him transfer to a school that plays in a higher league. He's already proven everything that he can at the 2B level, I can't imagine that he's going to be challenged very often by equal/superior athletes in that league, which is really what he needs exposure to.

Considering that his HS head coach is Tim Ravet, his dad, I don't think he's going anywhere :)

He's averaged around 30 points a year as a Fresh/Soph, so haven't looked it up or anything, but surely he'll have a shot at setting career scoring records...

maynard g krebs
08-02-2017, 11:15 AM
LOL, I get it, but that's my assessment :)

"I'm a believer" and "he can compete in the WCC" struck me as contradictory.

BYUZag
08-02-2017, 11:29 AM
"I'm a believer" and "he can compete in the WCC" struck me as contradictory.

He's a ton of fun to watch play at this stage, which is a regionally competitive AAU team. Has a swagger, confidence and finishing moves that only come from endless hours in the gym. Will he be a contributor in the WCC? My bet is yes.

MDABE80
08-02-2017, 12:03 PM
He's very young yet. I'm thinking that with his work ethic, he'll acquire additional skills to be a higher major kid. How far he goes is up to him. Surely the coaching is there for him. Can't remember seeing a better shooter at his age. Lots of angles and lots in his repertoire. He'll get more if he works for it.

Goshzagit
08-02-2017, 01:20 PM
He's very young yet. I'm thinking that with his work ethic, he'll acquire additional skills to be a higher major kid. How far he goes is up to him. Surely the coaching is there for him. Can't remember seeing a better shooter at his age. Lots of angles and lots in his repertoire. He'll get more if he works for it.

Elite shooting backcourt is a luxury, yet combined height of said [future] backcourt is a small concern (pun intended).

Our 6'1" under backcourt(s) of the past seem to struggle vs the bigger/physical guards, esp come Tourney time, which is complete opposite of this years squad of 6'3"+ who dominated the South Carolinas, Xaviers, etc with big, strong guards.

We'll be fine, and I like the local talent flocking to GU.

maynard g krebs
08-02-2017, 02:19 PM
He's a ton of fun to watch play at this stage, which is a regionally competitive AAU team. Has a swagger, confidence and finishing moves that only come from endless hours in the gym. Will he be a contributor in the WCC? My bet is yes.

Guess I wasn't clear. "Contributor in the WCC" is well below the benchmark for GU players. The nonconference and post season? What's your take on that?

Reborn
08-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Being a Sophomore in high school is being pretty young still in all ways. He will get bigger; He will get stronger; He will become more intuitive in his play. He will be more intelligent. This kid is a gem imo. He wouldn't be offered by Mark Few if he isn't a gem. To me this rubbish about being a "contributer to WCC" or "contributer to OOC play and post season play" is just really not the case of how Mark Few and his staff evaluate the high school players that they are interested in. Why some of you use this framework to evaluate a high school player's talent just shows me that you must not have a lot of experience with evaluating talent. I've watched film of this kid and I've seen him play and he is the real deal. Few knew that and offered him early and offered him at Gonzga's camp. Few had not seen him play much before the camp. I think Mark Few is a great judge of talent and IQ and the kind of player who fits into his program. I don't really understand all of the negative doubts some of you have about this kid. Your thoughts are not about the ability of this kid but more about yourselves.

TheOtherGreatOne
08-02-2017, 02:53 PM
He reminds me of a cross between Raivo and Dickau. If he turns out to be as good as either of those two he will be a contributer no matter who we are playing. Don't forget he will only be a jr. this year. Who knows he may turn out to be better than both. I think that would be pretty awesome if he did. Just because some of these self proclaimed talent evaluators that say he can't play even though they have never actually seen him play don't mean jack. Let's just set back and watch him develop and hope he becomes yet another Zag all American. Just remember the talent evaluaters said Adam Morrison couldn't play either, and he turned out to be a pretty good player, remember.

Kiddwell
08-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Regarding height, how tall are Brock's parents, big brothers? (Uncles, older male cousins?) Hoping for two years of b-ball growth, a couple more inches.

:]

ZAG 4 LIFE
08-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Mark has always valued kids that can shoot the ball well, and pass the ball well.
The questions surrounding young Mr. Ravet will likely be focused on the other
End of the floor... will he be able to defend good D1 guards? Of course that is true
Of most incoming freshman guards at GU... with the recent exceptions of guys like
Melson and GB Jr. Hopefully Brock grows to 6-3, and to make up for relative lack
Of talent he faces in his HS league, keeps getting high level comp in The AAU off
Season circuit.

BYUZag
08-03-2017, 10:30 AM
I don't really understand all of the negative doubts some of you have about this kid. Your thoughts are not about the ability of this kid but more about yourselves.

Wow.

Are we talking about the same thread and conversation?

Negative doubts?

And then an "Ad hominem" attack on anyone that expresses anything but a 100% glowing statement that the kid is the next John Stockton?

Uhh... Ok.... :)

...Let's just be happy for the kid, he's got 2 more years of HS ball, 1 more year of AAU, and he's already committed to one of the greatest teams in the country?

He's a bonafide scorer, shoots a step-back 3 that's unseen at the HS level, and has more moves than you can count at the rim?

Do I think he's going to be a 4 year All-American and lead the Zags to 4 National Titles? Geesh, I'd hope so, but that's not reality.

BYUZag
08-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Hopefully Brock grows to 6-3, and to make up for relative lack
Of talent he faces in his HS league, keeps getting high level comp in The AAU off
Season circuit.

There are rumors that he may play next AAU season with the John Stockton coached Griffins. The main players on that team are Anton Watson (doing a lot of point-forward time), and Tommy Lloyd's son. Stockton's son is on the team as well, and AJ Few was in the past. (AJ played with Eastern Washington Elite Black, the B team, some this spring/summer.) I don't think it will happen though. The Griffins don't have the team-wide talent to compete in upper pools, and have been more of a "home grown" team than other options. ...If Brock returns to the Eastern Washington Elite Red team, and they can get the rest of their players back, they are going to rock some big-name teams worlds next summer... This summer, they upset "Gamepoint Pump N Run" by 15, when Gamepoint was seeded #1 and EWE was seeded #32 :) (That's the same team that beat Lavar Ball's "Big Baller" team by 20!) This AAU season they only had 2 seniors on the team (Campbell from Ferris and Christensen from University), so if they can pickup another couple of big guys, they'll be re-loaded. :)

JPtheBeasta
08-03-2017, 11:10 AM
This this may all be well and good, but how are Brock's abs??!!

(This is a joke. If there is any confusion, please see the Flex thread)

Reborn
08-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Wow.

Negative doubts?

And then an "Ad hominem" attack on anyone that expresses anything but a 100% glowing statement that the kid is the next John Stockton?

...Let's just be happy for the kid, he's got 2 more years of HS ball, 1 more year of AAU, and he's already committed to one of the greatest teams in the country?

He's a bonafide scorer, shoots a step-back 3 that's unseen at the HS level, and has more moves than you can count at the rim?

Do I think he's going to be a 4 year All-American and lead the Zags to 4 National Titles? Geesh, I'd hope so, but that's not reality.

I only said that "some of you have." Some is not very many to me. If you feel you're in that group it's cool. I never put you there. I didn't come close to saying that people with different ideas than I have should not post here. If you knew me better you'd know that I have been maybe the biggest supporter through the years of allowing a diversity of opinion here. But I also believe it's fair for me to criticise what others say. There is no rule that says that we can not criticise the criticisers. hahahaha I only criticise you for saying that I am attacking others. What was your adjective? An ad hominem attacker of anyone who expresses anything but a 100% glowing statement that the kid is the next John Stockton. I get tired of people like you that feel so defensive about my comments and feel your being attacked. All I said is that I didn't understand why some fans had negative feedback about this kid. I wasn't attacking them. I just don't understand their criticisms. and if I do I disagree. Is disagreeing an attack in your world?

zag buddy
08-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Be careful reborn, not everyone is logical.

Reborn
08-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Be careful reborn, not everyone is logical.

thanks for the advice

doctorzag
08-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Wow.

Negative doubts?

I do not think he was referring to you . There are some posters however who were ripping on Brock before they knew anything about him. You gave a very fair and positive assessment of Brock so I do not think Reborn meant to include you with some of the crazy posters.

cggonzaga
08-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I only said that "some of you have." Some is not very many to me. If you feel you're in that group it's cool. I never put you there. I didn't come close to saying that people with different ideas than I have should not post here. If you knew me better you'd know that I have been maybe the biggest supporter through the years of allowing a diversity of opinion here. But I also believe it's fair for me to criticise what others say. There is no rule that says that we can not criticise the criticisers. hahahaha I only criticise you for saying that I am attacking others. What was your adjective? An ad hominem attacker of anyone who expresses anything but a 100% glowing statement that the kid is the next John Stockton. I get tired of people like you that feel so defensive about my comments and feel your being attacked. All I said is that I didn't understand why some fans had negative feedback about this kid. I wasn't attacking them. I just don't understand their criticisms. and if I do I disagree. Is disagreeing an attack in your world?

What am I missing here? I don't see anybody in this thread being overly critical. Maybe you're talking about BYU and myself but quite frankly we appear to be the only people in this thread that have actually seen him play or spoken to firsthand witnesses that have seen him recently. I don't get the criticism of posters in this thread. Having a bad day?

Zagdawg
08-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Couple of fans with the standard --"not tall enough" , "not enough stars" "why doesn't he have offers from Kentucky and Arizona" ---- not the majority of the posters --but there are a couple of debbie downers who have some challenges with the Zags signing him.

JPtheBeasta
08-03-2017, 06:25 PM
We need a player or two like him at all times.

Reborn
08-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Couple of fans with the standard --"not tall enough" , "not enough stars" "why doesn't he have offers from Kentucky and Arizona" ---- not the majority of the posters --but there are a couple of debbie downers who have some challenges with the Zags signing him.

Here are a few more: "impressed some scouts but not enough to call him high major." "A lot of inconsistency in shot and shot selection. "Struggled against elite long athletic players." "Athleticism may be an issue in college." "He'll be able to compete in the WCC." Maynard g krebs calls this statement "a pretty trepid endorsement." Maynard also says "I'm a believer and he can compete in the WCC are contradictions." In other places there has been much talk about the fact that because He plays in the B conference he can't be THAT GOOD. And by the way I saw him play at least 8-10 times over the last 5 years. He's from Kittitas and I'm from Yakima. He also played against my grandson for a few years.

TheOtherGreatOne
08-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Was coach Few not the national coach of the year ? I think he and his staff know who to recruit and who not to. Anyone they sign is a ok with me, and that includes Brock.

cggonzaga
08-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Here are a few more: "impressed some scouts but not enough to call him high major." "A lot of inconsistency in shot and shot selection. "Struggled against elite long athletic players." "Athleticism may be an issue in college." "He'll be able to compete in the WCC." Maynard g krebs calls this statement "a pretty trepid endorsement." Maynard also says "I'm a believer and he can compete in the WCC are contradictions." In other places there has been much talk about the fact that because He plays in the B conference he can't be THAT GOOD. And by the way I saw him play at least 8-10 times over the last 5 years. He's from Kittitas and I'm from Yakima. He also played against my grandson for a few years.

Seems pretty sensitive Reborn. Those comments aren't that bad and there is plenty of truth to them. Maybe I'm wrong or haven't noticed but if you've seen the kid play 8-10 times over the years why no mention of him being a kid GU should be recruiting? Also instead of questioning others giving their opinions how about giving us your honest scouting report? Will it be nothing but positive? He has nothing to work on?

soccerdud
08-03-2017, 08:09 PM

"Reaching for his saddlebag
He takes a rusty sword into his hand
Then striking up a knightly pose
He shouts across the ocean to the shore
Till he can shout no more"

Reborn
08-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Was coach Few not the national coach of the year ? I think he and his staff know who to recruit and who not to. Anyone they sign is a ok with me, and that includes Brock.

I don't feel it's my place to say publicly who Few and staff should recruit or who they shouldn't. I enjoy my participation here during the off-season. I get involved in writing about some of the players Mark Few is recruiting but overall I don't get too involved with very many. I have participated in the discussion of Ravet because I have seen him play and believe he will be a great player at GU. I like him a lot (obviously). When I see a player who I believe could play at Gonzaga I usually call the Athletic Department and talk to one of the assistants. I'd rather do that than build the kid up here on GUboards to try to show how much I know. Once a player has signed with GU I can then begin to talk about him in a positive light. I have never seen my role here on GUboards to give scouting reports. I see myself as a fan and I'm at a party with all of you on GUboards and we are having discussions about many things; sometimes disagreeing and sometimes arguing. I have never been to a post game party where all the discussion was positive or negative; there are always going to be people at the party with a different outlook on the game or on the issue being discussed. Honestly I was not just talking about the two of you. There have been other statements made in other threads about Ravet that have been negative imo.

MDABE80
08-03-2017, 09:35 PM
3 months till first tilt. Some are getting itchy. Deep breath everyone. 3 months have past since the FF. We're only halfway home.

maynard g krebs
08-03-2017, 10:53 PM
FWIW I tend to agree w/ Reborn and Dickau. From the bit of highlights I've seen I think this kid has a chance to be special as an offensive player, though I can understand why there are doubters. Interesting that Dickau likes him, because Dickau himself was told he wasn't big or athletic enough to be a high major player by some coming out of hs.

SWZag
08-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Interesting comments here.

- Maybe transfer to a higher high school league to get experience
- Maybe not big or strong enough
- etc etc.

One man comes to mind.

Small Eastern Washington high school. That name is Pendo. Man, that's a name that will live forever.

Love picking up solid local / regional talent. This program was built on underdogs.

MDABE80
08-08-2017, 11:26 AM
SW is correct/ I do think a season at G Prep would help him.

Zagger
08-09-2017, 03:56 AM
......We'll be fine, and I like the local talent flocking to GU.

Me too. I love the Pendos, etc. that play for the Zags. It's a neat mix to see locals and guys like Karnowski, Tillie, Rui, etc. on the floor playing together @ GU. Kind of a BB melting pot and has got to enrich every player's life. I believe that's a huge part of the team building that Few pulls off - tossing a diverse (culture wise) bunch together all with a common goal. Sorta reminds me of the Enterprise :)

Zagdawg
11-28-2017, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/Brock3ravet/status/935719475499778048

cjm720
11-28-2017, 10:09 PM
https://twitter.com/Brock3ravet/status/935719475499778048

He sure looks small...but wow. Impressive

WallaWallaZag
11-28-2017, 10:22 PM
He sure looks small...but wow. Impressive

not important, but a serious question: has there been a zag scholarship player who couldn't dunk?
i'm guessing dickau maybe...i think pangos and stockton both could...raivio?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-29-2017, 02:22 AM
not important, but a serious question: has there been a zag scholarship player who couldn't dunk?
i'm guessing dickau maybe...i think pangos and stockton both could...raivio?

Perkins?

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Perkins?

despite his inability to finish around the rim, he can actually dunk quite easily...guys give him a hard time for having never dunked in a game though...

thebigsmoove
11-29-2017, 06:24 AM
despite his inability to finish around the rim, he can actually dunk quite easily...guys give him a hard time for having never dunked in a game though...

I actually love that about him. Hes not about showboating.

soccerdud
11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

pretty sure he was going to dunk in the tourney last year, but he had to avoid the girl with the mop.

WallaWallaZag
11-29-2017, 08:29 AM

well...i don't think it has anything to do with that...he doesn't have the ups to dunk in traffic so it has to be wide open breakaway. he certainly likes fancy dribbling and no-look passes.

CDC84
11-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Brock is ranked at #77 with scout.com

https://www.scout.com/Season/2019-Basketball/ScoutRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Anton Watson is at #66

willandi
11-29-2017, 09:49 AM

pretty sure he was going to dunk in the tourney last year, but he had to avoid the girl with the mop.

well...i don't think it has anything to do with that...he doesn't have the ups to dunk in traffic so it has to be wide open breakaway. he certainly likes fancy dribbling and no-look passes.

There is always the possibility of injuring ones hand or wrist when dunking, especially if one is shorter. I know I often felt the sting, and that was on 8' baskets. I can't even imagine on 10' ones!

cggonzaga
11-29-2017, 11:38 AM

https://www.scout.com/Season/2019-Basketball/ScoutRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Anton Watson is at #66

I’ve heard Anton is just getting better and better. He’ll be a 20+ppg scorer again this year and probably 25-30pg scorer next year. Pretty impressive numbers in the GSL.

zag buddy
11-29-2017, 11:56 AM
I believe I saw him playing with the guys in summer scrimmage. I didn't know who he was. He looked about 13, 5'7" and 120 lbs. But after the scrimmage he and I believe it was Steven Gray were having a mini dunk contest. I was amazed he held his own just fine. Reminded me of Spud Webb.

Zagdawg
12-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Prep basketball standouts Ravet, Pepper ready for more
High-scoring juniors set their sights on getting back to respective state championship games

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/news_watch/prep-basketball-standouts-ravet-pepper-ready-for-more/article_837cffae-d65a-11e7-a1b4-6f80bf4425db.html

North Idaho Zag
12-02-2017, 04:18 PM

Anton Watson is at #66

When I go to the link it shows them at 193 & 194 on one chart and 206 and 207 on the other.

Zagdawg
12-09-2017, 06:27 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Ryan Kuhn‏
@RSKuhn
10h10 hours ago
Final. Kittitas 88, Warden 42. Brock Ravet finished with 29 points.

Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Mitchell Johnson‏
@SportsWithMitch
11h11 hours ago
First time watching Gonzaga verbal-commit Brock Ravet at Kittitas and this dude is insane

WallaWallaZag
12-09-2017, 06:47 AM
When I go to the link it shows them at 193 & 194 on one chart and 206 and 207 on the other.

scout recently merged with 247 sports...so the rankings you're seeing are from 247 and not what used to be scout (they filed for bankruptcy and cbs acquired them)

Zagdawg
12-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Kittitas boys basketball makes quick work of Warden to start the season

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-basketball-makes-quick-work-of-warden-to-start/article_3964dcaa-dc2d-5816-bd79-aaeb2379aeca.html

ZagNative
12-09-2017, 10:12 AM
29 points for Brock Ravet!

Kittitas boys basketball makes quick work of Warden to start the season

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-basketball-makes-quick-work-of-warden-to-start/article_3964dcaa-dc2d-5816-bd79-aaeb2379aeca.html

CDC84
12-09-2017, 01:27 PM

The link changed due the business issues described above. The rankings were based on a scout article that came out in September.

https://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Updated-2019-Top-100-College-Basketball-Prospects-107662546

CDC84
12-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Evan Daniels told me that the rankings on Ravet and Watson will be fixed soon. They're top 100 guys.

Goshzagit
12-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Very similar to Jesse Wade, but Ravet a bit taller and more natural athleticism.

Wade is a tad quicker with & without the ball, but not as nifty of moves as Ravet. Both are superb shooters.

I would say Jesse more of a shooter, Brock more of a scorer.

Neither are very good defenders at the point of attack. Will definitely need to recruit some bigger, lengthy guards to compliment these guys in upcoming years.

Ravet kinda reminds me of Gerry McNamara for 'Cuse. Will fill out like him I think. Sneaky athlete, fearless, and can score in waves and ways from all over the court.

Wade kinda reminds me of Steve/Bryce Alford type. Shoot first, work the ball around, can dribble drive off shot fakes but that's about it. Smart players.

MDABE80
12-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Brock will score upwards of 30 ppg in his league. He scores from anywhere on the offense side of the 10 sec line. Not seen many like him. Love to see him in the GSL for his senior year. I always say that though! lol If he hits the AAU circuit this upcoming Summer, I guess we'll know more. His handles are great. He'll be a good one for us.

cggonzaga
12-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Very similar to Jesse Wade, but Ravet a bit taller and more natural athleticism.

Wade is a tad quicker with & without the ball, but not as nifty of moves as Ravet. Both are superb shooters.

I would say Jesse more of a shooter, Brock more of a scorer.

Neither are very good defenders at the point of attack. Will definitely need to recruit some bigger, lengthy guards to compliment these guys in upcoming years.

Ravet kinda reminds me of Gerry McNamara for 'Cuse. Will fill out like him I think. Sneaky athlete, fearless, and can score in waves and ways from all over the court.

Wade kinda reminds me of Steve/Bryce Alford type. Shoot first, work the ball around, can dribble drive off shot fakes but that's about it. Smart players.

Don’t see the Wade comparison at all. For Ravet’s sake of playing time I’m sure he hopes you’re wrong too. Ravet has a lot of shake and bake to his game and can pretty much get whatever shot he wants. I’d say he reminds me of Raivio more than any Zag. However defense is a huge question mark. At this point he’d really have a hard time guarding D1 guards and isn’t near big enough for the 3. Sounds like a hard worker though so we’ll see.

ZagNative
12-10-2017, 12:50 PM
From Twitter (https://twitter.com/LukeTScribe/status/939745413464125440http://):
Luke Thompson‏Verified account @LukeTScribe

Kittitas guard Brock Ravet exploded for 41 points tonight in an 84-44 win at Almira-Coulee-Hartline. #RavetWatch

gonzagabasketball
12-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Anton Watson is at #66

At their positions? I dont see them anywhere on the top 100 players list.

jazzdelmar
12-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Ravet is 38th point guard. Sigh. Watson is 37th PF. Sigh!

Goshzagit
12-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Watson is more wing than PF. At least right now.

Ravet has much to improve vs bigger competition yet Watson is the real deal.

Easily Top 150 player. Probably Top 15 at his position

cggonzaga
12-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Before you get carried away jazz, watch both of them and then tell me what you think. Both are top 100. Watson is top 50. Think Rui athletically but with b-ball IQ.

JPtheBeasta
12-10-2017, 04:37 PM

You know better. Diamonds in the rough and all that.

jazzdelmar
12-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Watson is more wing than PF. At least right now.

Ravet has much to improve vs bigger competition yet Watson is the real deal.

Easily Top 150 player. Probably Top 15 at his position

Top 150? Oh, that’s a relief.

cggonzaga
12-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Top 150? Oh, that’s a relief.

I’ll go this far with Ravet and keep in mind I’m not a huge fan. Offensively he’s top 50 in the country. He’s very very good offensively.

jazzdelmar
12-10-2017, 04:53 PM
I’ll go this far with Ravet and keep in mind I’m not a huge fan. Offensively he’s top 50 in the country. He’s very very good offensively.

Top 50 point guard? Top 50 player would be a 4-5 Star.

cggonzaga
12-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Top 50 point guard? Top 50 player would be a 4-5 Star.

I said top 50 offensively jazz. Any position. Bottom 300 defensively.

ZagNative
12-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Couldn't find a story about Brock's peformance tonight in Kittitas' game vs. Mabton, but this post (http://www.maxpreps.com/games/basketball-winter-17-18/kittitas-thorp-vs-mabton/12-15-2017-KF7ZtmO4bUqH71Ac_Smpqw.htm#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=885b8991-b7cc-4077-9bcb-bd37b20a0f8c) leads me to believe he must have had a good stat line:

The Mabton (WA) varsity basketball team lost Friday's home conference game against Kittitas/Thorp (Kittitas, WA) by a score of 90-27.

Edited to add: Some game results from the Yakima Herald (http://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/girls-prep-basketball-roundup-toppenish-holds-off-prosser-rally/article_b59c3e6a-e234-11e7-bd13-1f72bd97337b.html):

KITTITAS 90, MABTON 27: At Mabton, Conner Brown had a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds and Brock Ravet had 21 points, 12 assists, and eight rebounds for the Coyotes.

Bogozags
12-16-2017, 04:27 AM
Couldn't find a story about Brock's peformance tonight in Kittitas' game vs. Mabton, but this post (http://www.maxpreps.com/games/basketball-winter-17-18/kittitas-thorp-vs-mabton/12-15-2017-KF7ZtmO4bUqH71Ac_Smpqw.htm#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=885b8991-b7cc-4077-9bcb-bd37b20a0f8c) leads me to believe he must have had a good stat line:

Edited to add: Some game results from the Yakima Herald (http://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/girls-prep-basketball-roundup-toppenish-holds-off-prosser-rally/article_b59c3e6a-e234-11e7-bd13-1f72bd97337b.html):

Sounds like they need a “mercy rule” in WA

jazzdelmar
12-16-2017, 04:42 AM
Sounds like they need a “mercy rule” in WA

In recruiting?

Bogozags
12-16-2017, 05:13 AM
In recruiting?

Nah, in scoring...lol

vandalzag
12-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Jazz what was Kispert's ranking 6 games into his Junior year? How about Norvell? I will take the staffs judgement over these "expert" recruiting sites.

Zagdawg
12-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Your trying to talk sense into the guy who doesn't think Perkins should be our point guard, D. Stockton was only on the team because of his dad, and thought Karno was our 3rd or 4th best big.

bartruff1
12-16-2017, 02:14 PM
I don't understand the Ravet offer, makes no sense to me, neither did Wade....but I do understand that the coaching staff has been winning 90%of their games for 20 years so they obviously know what they are doing...

Bogozags
12-16-2017, 02:27 PM
I don't understand the Ravet offer, makes no sense to me, neither did Wade....but I do understand that the coaching staff has been winning 90%of their games for 20 years so they obviously know what they are doing...

Well, they have made a mistake here and there but being 90% right all the time is a pretty high percentage...then you have to take work ethic into account...and they are still juniors too! Fingers are crossed here...

ZagsObserver
12-16-2017, 04:04 PM

Agree on Ravet but time is usually the ultimate truth-teller. They are trying to make sure they don’t make a mistake like they did with the Chelan boy several years back.

jazzdelmar
12-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Your trying to talk sense into the guy who doesn't think Perkins should be our point guard, D. Stockton was only on the team because of his dad, and thought Karno was our 3rd or 4th best big.

Correct on all counts

vandalzag
12-17-2017, 06:25 AM
Well, they have made a mistake here and there but being 90% right all the time is a pretty high percentage...then you have to take work ethic into account...and they are still juniors too! Fingers are crossed here...

Recruiting is more are than science. As far as the star ratings go I would like to see how many of the gurus have seen the players in question, So the staff will miss some and they will luck into some. It is unfortunate that they lack the perfect vision that Jazz has in talent evaluation, game planning, etc.. But I guess we will have to live with their shortcomings. And I am with you on the Junior statement. There was plenty of debate about Kispert on this board when he committed.

ZagNative
12-17-2017, 09:23 AM
From Twitter:

Luke Thompson‏Verified account @LukeTScribe

Elijah Pepper scored 20 in Selah’s 67-53 win over Wapato and Brock Ravet netted a quadruple-double with 32 points, 11 rebounds, 11 steals and 12 assists as Kittitas beat another overmatched opponent by a ridiculous amount of points. #PepperWatch #RavetWatch

realtydog
12-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Brock and his team are not playing great competition ------like GU playing Sisters of the Poor-----how can someone measure his play with this?????

jazzdelmar
12-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Brock and his team are not playing great competition ------like GU playing Sisters of the Poor-----how can someone measure his play with this?????

Thank you.

cggonzaga
12-17-2017, 10:46 AM
It’s true he plays very poor competition during the high school year. However, he plays very good competition during AAU. Even during AAU season he still scores on anybody. He struggles a little against elite athleticism but who doesn’t?

Look, I don’t personally think he’ll be a star at GU but he could be a Kyle Bankhead or better.

Zagdawg
12-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Matt Baide

@chronMatt
Dec 21
More
Nonleague Boys Basketball: Kittitas 78, Toledo 67. Reece Wallace with 29 points and Junior Arroyo with 10 points. Some kid named Brock Ravet scored 31 points for Kittitas.

demian
12-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Some teams in the class B division that Ravet is playing against are honestly the equivalent of an “average” 8th grade aau team. There are numerous 8th grade AAU teams that would kill the same class B division teams that Ravet is playing against this winter.

jazzdelmar
12-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Some teams in the class B division that Ravet is playing against are honestly the equivalent of an “average” 8th grade aau team. There are numerous 8th grade AAU teams that would kill the same class B division teams that Ravet is playing against this winter.

D. Empty your box. Bornie too....Merry X

raise the zag
12-23-2017, 07:17 AM
As much as I question Greg Foster as a PG prospect, I think this kid is legit. Even though Brock is 4" shorter -- he is much more fluid, quicker, and savyy.

His height is a question mark/concern, but has the moves, understanding, and can score in every way.

A somewhat weird "hitch" in his shot, but it goes in. Could become a serious scoring threat at D1 level someday, and has some intriguing quickness, and hesitation steps.

jazzdelmar
12-23-2017, 07:21 AM
As much as I question Greg Foster as a PG prospect, I think this kid is legit. Even though Brock is 4" shorter -- he is much more fluid, quicker, and savyy.

His height is a question mark/concern, but has the moves, understanding, and can score in every way.

A somewhat weird "hitch" in his shot, but it goes in. Could become a serious scoring threat at D1 level someday, and has some intriguing quickness, and hesitation steps.

Not exactly a full throated endorsement, Razor.

demian
12-23-2017, 02:00 PM
D. Empty your box. Bornie too....Merry X

Jazz - I deleted a couple messages from my inbox. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well Jazz

ZagNative
02-02-2018, 11:52 PM
From Twitter tonight:
Brock Ravet Retweeted
BigBallerBrandNW @Tommy1John8

Another massive game by Kittitas’s @Brock3ravet as he gets 32, drops 9 dimes and snares 7 boards. Way to go Yotes @studballer1323

caldwellzag
02-03-2018, 07:12 AM
From Twitter tonight:

That is one heck of a high school game at any level. Ravet's could be special for the Zags!

Zagdawg
02-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Kittitas boys basketball defeats Tri-Cities Prep to win second straight league title

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-basketball-defeats-tri-cities-prep-to-win-second/article_1f7b5781-a60f-52c7-82c0-89aefec140bc.html

Reborn
02-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Kittitas boys basketball defeats Tri-Cities Prep to win second straight league title

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-basketball-defeats-tri-cities-prep-to-win-second/article_1f7b5781-a60f-52c7-82c0-89aefec140bc.html

Kittitas was up 44-13 at the half. And Tri-Cities Prep is in 2nd place. Ravet scored 31 points.

doctorzag
02-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Brock went for 55 points tonight!! 15 Three pointers. Eight assist also.

katman50
02-03-2018, 08:37 PM

Only 55? He is in a slump.

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2018, 08:41 PM

WOW!!!

Zagdawg
02-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Great game--15 threes--wow.

VanLith10
02-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Watched Ravet play several games over the past 2 years. Kid is a stud plain and simple. I believe he will excel at GU.

willandi
02-03-2018, 09:10 PM
The 3 point line is different with higher competition!

Zagdawg
02-08-2018, 09:50 AM
https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/2019-Gonzaga-Commit-Brock-Ravet-Is-Having-A-Huge-Junior-Year-114874562

Coach Crazy
02-08-2018, 10:13 AM
I've been pretty quiet after a certain point of speaking my piece. But I still don't get it.

JPtheBeasta
02-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Keep hauling in those rebounds

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 10:23 AM
I've been pretty quiet after a certain point of speaking my piece. But I still don't get it.

How we landed the #9 pg in the entire nation for 2019?

Coach Crazy
02-08-2018, 10:29 AM
How we landed the #9 pg in the entire nation for 2019?

Forget to take your meds, again?

Zagdawg
02-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Or you could say we landed the #77 player in the country for 2019.

"When Gonzaga picked up a commitment from Brock Ravet during the summer, many people were surprised as he didn’t have much of a recruiting profile on the national stage. Seven months later, and Ravet is now the 77th ranked player in the 2019 class and putting up video game numbers at Kittitas high school."

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 10:51 AM

I stand corrected, #7 pg in the nation for 2019.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol&Position=PG

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 10:52 AM

btw, wasn't someone recently banned for saying exactly what you just said?

Coach Crazy
02-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Or you could say we landed the #77 player in the country for 2019.

"When Gonzaga picked up a commitment from Brock Ravet during the summer, many people were surprised as he didn’t have much of a recruiting profile on the national stage. Seven months later, and Ravet is now the 77th ranked player in the 2019 class and putting up video game numbers at Kittitas high school."

Because I don't think his play justifies that ranking. Playing against short, unathletic talent doesn't disqualify you from being ranked high. BUT...it absolutely warrants enhanced scrutiny. If you look at the PG's that are ranked around him on 247, he doesn't hold up to their play. If you look at the ESPN rankings of the 8 PG's that are currently ranked, he doesn't hold up to their play.

Pretty sure we have already discussed something similar to this, but there are flaws to both ESPN and more regional style recruiting coverage. ESPN tends not to delve as deep as they could for rankings, and more regional input tends to neglect more empirical factors. At least beyond a certain bonafide group.

23dpg
02-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Because I don't think his play justifies that ranking. Playing against short, unathletic talent doesn't disqualify you from being ranked high. BUT...it absolutely warrants enhanced scrutiny. If you look at the PG's that are ranked around him on 247, he doesn't hold up to their play. If you look at the ESPN rankings of the 8 PG's that are currently ranked, he doesn't hold up to their play.

Pretty sure we have already discussed something similar to this, but there are flaws to both ESPN and more regional style recruiting coverage. ESPN tends not to delve as deep as they could for rankings, and more regional input tends to neglect more empirical factors. At least beyond a certain bonafide group.

You are entitled to your opinion and I believe that you have put some thought and analysis in it. You obviously know basketball and player developement. But isn’t that a similar argument that many (I think you included) made for Kispert?. I’m willing to give the staff the benefit of the doubt at this point.
Also, I see nothing in Spy’s rebuttal that warranted your reply. He simply stated what the class rankings were.

Zagdawg
02-08-2018, 11:12 AM
I'll probably lean toward the validity of an ex Zag player who watched the player in person and recruiting experts who do this for a living over a few of our website "experts".

Give the kid a chance to prove himself on the Zag basketball court before you take his scholly away.

doctorzag
02-08-2018, 11:38 AM
I'll probably lean toward the validity of an ex Zag player who watched the player in person and recruiting experts who do this for a living over a few of our website "experts".

Give the kid a chance to prove himself on the Zag basketball court before you take his scholly away.

Exactly! Listen to John Stockton,Mark Few, all the recruiting experts or.... listen to Coach Crazy.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 11:43 AM

I've come to the conclusion that coach crazy's biggest fan is coach crazy.

Goshzagit
02-08-2018, 11:51 AM
If you look at the PG's that are ranked around him on 247, he doesn't hold up to their play. If you look at the ESPN rankings of the 8 PG's that are currently ranked, he doesn't hold up to their play.

I fully respect your thoughtful analysis on this board, yet "says who?" in this instance?

I don't get this opinion.

I'm with you on ESPN following trends and trending names, but 247 is legit, as you know. Very reputable scouts, analysts, and recruiting experts.

U Zig, I Zag
02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
These ranking services are not scientific and college interest, 'mix tape' views and general overall chatter probably help to heighten the profile of a particular player. I think most of the pros at this can see a player's attributes despite the competition they are playing, but certainly numbers against lesser players will be inflated. Of all fans we should understand that, being in the WCC. That said, 15 3's is pretty sweet. Glad Brock wants to be a Zag.

doctorzag
02-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Something I do not think you are factoring in is the fact that he is putting up these numbers despite being double and triple teamed every game. The other teams whole game plan is to shut him down and they cannot stop him. Many players could not hit 15 threes with no one guarding them, let alone being double teamed.

bdmiller7
02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
ESPN had Kispert as a 2star at the beginning of his senior year when the other recruiting services had him as 4star long before. Sometimes they can be a little behind especially on small school kids. They still don't have a grade for Watson or Ravet.

ZagsObserver
02-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Something I do not think you are factoring in is the fact that he is putting up these numbers despite being double and triple teamed every game. The other teams whole game plan is to shut him down and they cannot stop him. Many players could not hit 15 threes with no one guarding them, let alone being double teamed.

Yep. And let’s not pretend that the most athletic player is the best basketball player. Many of the guys you are thinking of, Coach, are not nearly the shooter Ravet is.

soccerdud
02-08-2018, 12:50 PM
I've come to the conclusion that coach crazy's biggest fan is coach crazy.

on this account we're all pots and kettles. however, it does seem particularly humorous coming from you. well played, intentionally or not, this post made me spit out my coffee.

i'm concerned about brock's size, athleticism, and competition-- but i'm also really excited about what i've seen of his stats, skillset, and drive. i'm glad he's a zag, and am looking forward to seeing what he can do for us.

IowaSERE
02-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Jesse Wade looked just as good on tape. I hope that Ravert has a little more athleticism and is able to get more than 5 min a game once he's here.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 12:58 PM
I fully respect your thoughtful analysis on this board, yet "says who?" in this instance?

I don't get this opinion.

I'm with you on ESPN following trends and trending names, but 247 is legit, as you know. Very reputable scouts, analysts, and recruiting experts.

"Because I said so" is now considered "thoughtful analysis"? lol crazy coach is basing his opinion on nothing.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 01:00 PM
on this account we're all pots and kettles. however, it does seem particularly humorous coming from you. well played, intentionally or not, this post made me spit out my coffee.

i'm concerned about brock's size, athleticism, and competition-- but i'm also really excited about what i've seen of his stats, skillset, and drive. i'm glad he's a zag, and am looking forward to seeing what he can do for us.

Me? I'm a lot of things, but if you think I have a high opinion of myself, you must be confusing me with another poster. I'm the king of self deprecating humor and routinely refer to myself here as an "irrelevant anonymous dork on a message board". I know that my opinion is literally worthless.

Reborn
02-08-2018, 03:28 PM

I saw Brock Ravet guarded by a six foot six player from White River. He was one of the better defensive player in this Christmas festival, including a few 4A schools. And the 6'6" in player could dunk like you wouldn't believe for a high school player from an A school. Ravet scored 40 off this kid. It was unbelievable.

I remember that I didn't think too highly of B schools either until I coached a few years in the B league. Teams like Mortan, Naselle, Valley, on and on are GOOD. Also there was a guard who played on the great 1965 gonzaga team named Billy Suter who was 5' 9" and you would never believe how this kids was until you saw him play live. Also David Pentergraf came from a B school. We called him Pendo.

Go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Jesse Wade looked just as good on tape. I hope that Ravert has a little more athleticism and is able to get more than 5 min a game once he's here.

No he didn't and their body types are very different. Ravet is built like a linebacker.

IowaSERE
02-08-2018, 04:34 PM
No he didn't and their body types are very different. Ravet is built like a linebacker.

Not too many 6-1 175 pound linebackers.

Jesse is also listed at 6-1 175 pounds.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 04:57 PM

One is 16, the other is 21. Plus, I doubt Brock is 175lbs despite what is listed, but anyway, this is dumb, you're trying to make me trash one of our own while building up the other, I'm not gonna play that game.

23dpg
02-08-2018, 05:22 PM
One is 16, the other is 21. Plus, I doubt Brock is 175lbs despite what is listed, but anyway, this is dumb, you're trying to make me trash one of our own while building up the other, I'm not gonna play that game.

Good call.
The Wade vs Ravet comparisons are ....hmm...lazy.
Like the Wade and Ravet and Ferrari thread.

cggonzaga
02-08-2018, 07:39 PM

I love watching B school basketball. However, it’s nowhere close to 3A, 4A basketball in the state of Washington. You have kids that transfer from the benches of GSL schools that average high teens at B schools every year. What Ravet does against the B schools is not impressive to me especially considering he is a high D1 player.

Where Ravet does impress is over the summer in AAU. Against very good to elite competition, he still scores on most anybody. He can be streaky like most great scorers but he’s tough and won’t back down. Whether that transfers to GU we’ll see. I hope it does. He’ll have to be hidden on defense but that wouldn’t be a first here.

JPtheBeasta
02-08-2018, 09:03 PM
I hope that the people who have been so skeptical of Ravet will be rooting for him to succeed at GU. I don't see much point to the consistent denigration of him as a player. I get the point that we should temper expectations because of his level of competition, but that was established probably over 100 posts ago.

maynard g krebs
02-08-2018, 09:07 PM

With all due respect, you didn't get it w/ Kispert either, unlike some of us. ETA after reading the rest of the thread I see someone beat me to it on that,, but I'll leave it anyway as it was my first thought.

And as I've posted before, a lot of experts told Dan Dickau to play in a mid major conf before he committed to UW because of his size and body type. And I've read that Dickau is a fan of Ravet; I'd bet fifty cents that Few might have had a conversation w/ Dan before offering Ravet.

kitzbuel
02-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Test

caldwellzag
02-09-2018, 05:36 AM

One thing to remember about Jesse is he went on a 2 year mission where at best he got 30 minutes a day to shot some hoops. Any athlete, let alone a shooter, will tell you that is not enough time to fine tone your skills. Jesse is only a freshman coming off a 2 year layoff, by his senior year we might all forget that he hardly played as a freshman.

Ravet's game has similarities, but they are not the same. When watching tape of both of them it is easy to tell that Ravet's is ahead of where Wade was at this point in time, plus he will come right into our system instead of taking 2 years off.

raise the zag
02-09-2018, 06:14 AM

Posted in another thread:

He's going to be special in a couple years.

I don't see the comparisons with Wade, at all. Both good shooters, but take a moment to review Wade's highlight tapes...

Jesse is pure finesse, smooth shooter, one dribble crossovers for open looks. Tremendous shooter, beautiful form, sound basketball, but lacks moxy, or edge.

Ravet is gritty, nasty, wiggle, & really pushes the ball and finds open spots in the teeth of the defense. His competition isn't great, but he has something.

While Wade did ONE dribble crossovers, Brock does THREE dribble crossovers and sacrifices his body for the shot. Just a different mentality.

Jesse is the type of player who wins HORSE in shiny, fancy gym, Brock wins 1 on 1 games on an asphalt court with a chainlink net.

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2018, 06:17 AM
Posted in another thread:

While I may agree with the sentiment the reason that I disike that post is because it's making us choose sides, pitting one player against the other. They're both Zags and I'm proud to have both of them on the team that I cheer for.

zag67
02-09-2018, 06:26 AM
I agree on picking sides. Why? Brock has another year of high school before we even see him at GU. That means that Jesse will be a junior when he is a freshman. Both can do their thing before they graduate. And remember a solid backup is still really necessary in the games we play. Not every recruit needs to be a super star. Just like the pros draft most players on potential, colleges need to recruit on potential and hope you are right more than you are wrong

Birddog
02-09-2018, 06:42 AM
While I agree with the sentiment the reason that I disike that post is because it's making us choose sides, pitting one player against the other. They're both Zags and I'm proud to have both of them on the team that I cheer for.

How else would we attain polarization? That's what the GUB is all about these days.

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2018, 06:51 AM
How else would we attain polarization? That's what the GUB is all about these days.

It's awful

Mr Vulture
02-09-2018, 10:30 AM
We heard the same things about Kispert and his competition level last year. Brock Ravet can clearly play and I don't see Jesse Wade, whom I still think can be a good player for us in the coming years, as much of a comparable. The difference is that Brock is still a junior in HS, he will continue to grow and get better, whereas Jesse is going to be fairly close to being physically developed. Bottom line is that talent it talent, I see it Brock...I'm not saying he will be a superstar but I do think that he will be at worst an extremely good floor spacer with his shooting.

GrizZAG
02-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Larry krytkowiak came from a small town in a lowly league and I believe another Larry played in a farm community or something like that in Indiana.
Bird is legend and LK had a great NBA career
I'm sure there are plenty of similar examples

cggonzaga
02-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Larry krytkowiak came from a small town in a lowly league and I believe another Larry played in a farm community or something like that in Indiana.
Bird is legend and LK had a great NBA career
I'm sure there are plenty of similar examples

If Ravet was 6’9” this comparison would make sense. Ravet is barely 6’1”.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Seeming discounts of a Zag recruit are really kind of astonishing, IMO

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Seeming discounts of a Zag recruit are really kind of astonishing, IMO

Vander Blue

willandi
02-10-2018, 06:38 AM
If Ravet was 6’9” this comparison would make sense. Ravet is barely 6’1”.

True, and we know Spud Webb and Isaiah Thomas are too short to play in the NBA.

Wasn't the comparison more about being from small, rural towns rather than stature?

Samiam
02-10-2018, 07:04 AM
5’3” Muggsy Bogues lasted 14 years in the NBA. 6’1” John Stockton had a nice career too.

cggonzaga
02-10-2018, 10:45 AM
True, and we know Spud Webb and Isaiah Thomas are too short to play in the NBA.

Wasn't the comparison more about being from small, rural towns rather than stature?

The average height of an NBA player since 1985 is 6’7”. Ravet being that elite a player has less to do with his small town upbringing than his height. Thanks for naming 2-3 players 6’1” or less that have made it in the NBA.

I’m not the one disparaging Ravet’s ability. Unlike many here I’ve seen him play multiple times and against multiple talent levels.

bdmiller7
02-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Here's a list of the last 15 national champs and they're point guards height.
03 Syracuse McNamara 6'2"
04 UCONN Brown 6'1"
05 UNC Felton 6'1"
06 Florida Green 6'0"
07 Florida Green 6'0"
08 Kansas Chalmers 6'1"
09 UNC Lawson 5'11"
10 Duke Scheyer 6'5"
11 UCONN Walker 6'1"
12 Kentucky Teague 6'2"
13 Louisville Siva 6'0"
14 UCONN Napier 6'1"
15 Duke Jones 6'1"
16 Villanova Arcidiacono 6'3"
17 UNC Berry 6'0"
I don't care about the average NBA height or really how tall Ravet is. Only 1 of the last 15 champs had a pg over 6'3" and that was Scheyer who wasn't a pg but had to play there because they didn't have one. I only care about if they can get the job done in college at GU. I trust the coaching staff is making the right decision.

googs27
02-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Perfect, bdmiller7

U Zig, I Zag
02-10-2018, 04:31 PM
If I was a recrut or had interest in GU I would certainly stay away from here. Presumably the parents and family do as well and I would think that the GU coach’s suggest as much. Ultimately the players are adults when on campus and the fans need a place to discuss, vent, etc but I have always been uncomfortable with some of rectruit discussions that get disparaging. Doesn’t have to be all positive, certainly, but sometimes it seems like it goes off the rails.

ZagsObserver
02-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Here's a list of the last 15 national champs and they're point guards height.
03 Syracuse McNamara 6'2"
04 UCONN Brown 6'1"
05 UNC Felton 6'1"
06 Florida Green 6'0"
07 Florida Green 6'0"
08 Kansas Chalmers 6'1"
09 UNC Lawson 5'11"
10 Duke Scheyer 6'5"
11 UCONN Walker 6'1"
12 Kentucky Teague 6'2"
13 Louisville Siva 6'0"
14 UCONN Napier 6'1"
15 Duke Jones 6'1"
16 Villanova Arcidiacono 6'3"
17 UNC Berry 6'0"
I don't care about the average NBA height or really how tall Ravet is. Only 1 of the last 15 champs had a pg over 6'3" and that was Scheyer who wasn't a pg but had to play there because they didn't have one. I only care about if they can get the job done in college at GU. I trust the coaching staff is making the right decision.

Great post

zag67
02-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Agree great post - bdmiller7

willandi
02-10-2018, 05:32 PM
The average height of an NBA player since 1985 is 6’7”. Ravet being that elite a player has less to do with his small town upbringing than his height. Thanks for naming 2-3 players 6’1” or less that have made it in the NBA.

I’m not the one disparaging Ravet’s ability. Unlike many here I’ve seen him play multiple times and against multiple talent levels.

Sorry. You suggested that the comparison to Bird and Krysko would have been more valid if Ravet were 6'9"

Zagdawg
02-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Ravet with 23 pts to help lead his team over Lake Roosevelt

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/bailey-gibson-sparks-kittitas-boys-hoops-in-opening-round-of/article_e42c5384-d57a-59ee-b1b1-eae4d3d3444d.html

ZagNative
02-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the update Zagdawg

Zagceo
02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
If I was a recrut or had interest in GU I would certainly stay away from here. Presumably the parents and family do as well and I would think that the GU coach’s suggest as much. Ultimately the players are adults when on campus and the fans need a place to discuss, vent, etc but I have always been uncomfortable with some of rectruit discussions that get disparaging. Doesn’t have to be all positive, certainly, but sometimes it seems like it goes off the rails.

discussions on message board are similar to fast food...most are quickly forgotten EXCEPT when others TRY and change another's opinion...creating conflict and prolonged disagreement on an opinion that could have been ignored like fast food.

its also what fuels message boards

I recall Byron W mother posting on the guboards...very positive

ZagNative
02-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Live stats for Kittitas-Oroville District Semifinal on now (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/51493-kittitas-vs-oroville-blue), Kittitas leading Oroville 59-27 at the end of the third, Brock with 30.

katman50
02-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Am looking forward to Brock, as a Zag. Home grown boy. The guy seems fearless. I like him.

katman50
02-16-2018, 08:19 PM
38 points thus far.

ZagNative
02-16-2018, 11:35 PM
From Twitter:

LeftCoastRecruiting‏ @LC_Recruiting

Looks like Gonzaga commit, Brock Ravet outscored Oroville by himself. Ravet with 38 pts. Oroville put up 32 pts as a team. Final: Kittitas 84, Oroville 32
They play Brewster in the District Final today (Saturday) at 6:00 pm.

ZagNative
02-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Kittitas-Brewster Live Stats (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/51572-kittitas-vs-brewsterhttp://)

23dpg
02-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Brock with 25 at half.

katman50
02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Brock with 25 at half.

Is that all?

23dpg
02-17-2018, 06:34 PM
40 in the 4th. I have a feeling he’s not in the game.

katman50
02-17-2018, 06:44 PM
40 in the 4th. I have a feeling he’s not in the game.

Yep. For sure!

scrooner
02-17-2018, 06:45 PM
In the Oroville game, he had 38pts, 9 rebounds, 8 assists. I can't find additional stats for the Brewster game yet.

katman50
02-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Brock may be another Ravio. Onions!

Reborn
02-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Wow!! 40 points and 9 threes' 9-9 from foul line. I keep tellin ya he's good. Better than Ravio.

Go Zags!!!

willandi
02-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Wow!! 40 points and 9 threes' 9-9 from foul line. I keep tellin ya he's good. Better than Ravio.

Go Zags!!!

Weak competition! Better teams guard the free throw line better!

Reborn
02-17-2018, 08:02 PM
Weak competition! Better teams guard the free throw line better!

Fortunately, for you and others, one day you will have the pleasure of watching this special kid play. Keep doubting. If thats what you see or know.

ZagsObserver
02-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Fortunately, for you and others, one day you will have the pleasure of watching this special kid play. Keep doubting. If thats what you see or know.

I think it was sarcasm on on Willandi’s part.

Radbooks
02-17-2018, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, Reborn.

willandi
02-17-2018, 08:26 PM

It was tongue in cheek. How does free throw defense apply to actual play?

thespywhozaggedme
02-17-2018, 08:31 PM

I think you need to get your sarcasm detector recalibrated. He, like you and I, are on the Ravet bandwagon.

scrooner
02-18-2018, 09:14 AM
Incidentally, is it RAV-et or ra-VEY?

cggonzaga
02-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Incidentally, is it RAV-et or ra-VEY?

The latter.

Reborn
02-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Thanks. Good advice. I totally misread what he said. Sorry.

BobZag
02-18-2018, 02:45 PM
The latter.

iS HE fRENCH?

cggonzaga
02-18-2018, 03:57 PM
iS HE fRENCH?

I don’t know but the pronunciation sure is.

sittingon50
02-18-2018, 04:47 PM
The latter.

I coached a cross country kid up here in the great white north.

Spelled the same way and pronounced as cg indicates.

ZagNative
02-23-2018, 05:52 PM
Game coming up at 8:00. I expect Live Stats (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/teams/139708-kittitas-coyotes)here.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Game coming up at 8:00. I expect Live Stats (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/teams/139708-kittitas-coyotes)here.

is it on tv?

ZagNative
02-23-2018, 07:01 PM
is it on tv?Not that I know of. It's scheduled in Ellensburg, a fairly small city in the middle of the state.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Not that I know of. It's scheduled in Ellensburg, a fairly small city in the middle of the state.

oh, ok. Thanks

ZagNative
02-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Here are the stats: Live Stats (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/51815-kittitas-vs-brewster)

At the half, Kittitas leads Brewster 40-20, Brock with 18.

Reborn
02-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Not that I know of. It's scheduled in Ellensburg, a fairly small city in the middle of the state.

The game will be played at Cental Washington University, a very nice facility.

ZagNative
02-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Kittitas wins it 76-37, Brock with 22 points.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Kittitas wins it 76-37, Brock with 22 points.

He had 18 at the half so he must've barely played the entire second half

Zagdawg
02-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Ravet coming to Spokane to play in the quarterfinals on Thursday of this week. Would be worth it go to see him in person.

"Kittitas leaves for the 2B State Tournament at the Spokane Arena on Wednesday and will start its final run on Thursday when it plays in the quarterfinals."

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-basketball-takes-down-brewster-in-regional-round/article_13d0ee93-07ae-5939-8115-4b66aa4ab28b.html

thespywhozaggedme
02-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Ravet coming to Spokane to play in the quarterfinals on Thursday of this week. Would be worth it go to see him in person.

"Kittitas leaves for the 2B State Tournament at the Spokane Arena on Wednesday and will start its final run on Thursday when it plays in the quarterfinals."

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-basketball-takes-down-brewster-in-regional-round/article_13d0ee93-07ae-5939-8115-4b66aa4ab28b.html

Yes! Would love multiple first hand accounts if at all possible.

Zagdawg
04-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Ravet 21 pts and 4 assists in leading his team to a win against some solid competition

https://twitter.com/LC_Recruiting/status/987882335482728448

Also another game win

LeftCoastRecruiting

@LC_Recruiting
Follow Follow @LC_Recruiting
More
Final: @WASupreme 81, G3 Grind 72 . Willie Thomas 22 pts, @PBGDOO 18 pts, Shaw Anderson 16 pts, @Brock3ravet 15 pts @Edward_turner5 5 pts, 6 ast, 4 stl

23dpg
04-21-2018, 08:38 PM
First game vs Jamal Mashburn. Quick google search reveals it is indeed the son of. 67 national rank recruited by Louisville, Miami and Florida.

Nice win.

cggonzaga
04-21-2018, 11:02 PM
I gotta say, young Ravet is beginning to change my mind on the impact he may be able to make at GU. A huge summer could really move him up the rankings.

Zagdawg
04-22-2018, 06:27 AM
Also Damari Monsanto on the opposing team ranked #69 by Rivals 6'5" shooting guard

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/damari-monsanto-208482

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 07:25 AM
I gotta say, young Ravet is beginning to change my mind on the impact he may be able to make at GU. A huge summer could really move him up the rankings.

Never a doubt in my mind. When you watch him, he has the aggression, wiggle, mindset, game to develop into an offensive star at the next level. His play making and shot making are natural. Been a big proponent of him since the beginning...and this coming from a Jesse Wade skeptic. Finesse vs nastiness on offense. Similar games, wayyyyy different mindsets. The latter is 80% if the battle once you have/hone the skills. Said it all along, Ravet will be a star for GU. Honestly, one of the more cant miss guards we have recruited on offense since Pangos.

Having said all that, Ravet makes Wade look like Gary Payton on defense.

Generally, tough to scout a prospects defense at HS level. However, Ravet wouldn't be recruited at the D3 level for his defense. When he "tries" he fouls, as in instantly. Notice he will have 5 or 6 fouls vs better competition limiting him on offense, as he is almost always the best offensive player on the floor...no matter the ranking.

There is zero fundamentals on that end. I quit basketball my freshman year in HS (remained the manager though) and I could blow by Ravet with one move. Not an exaggeration.

Ravet will get instant playing time for us. A blue chip shooter and playmaker and just has the right mental make up to his game, yet we will have to spend a ton of time trying to coach him on defense.

Odd really. Ravet is quick twitched and uses angles well on offense, yet no lateral quickness on defense.

Reborn
04-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Sorry. But your assessment of his defense is exaggerated, Quite a bit, imo.

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Sorry. But your assessment of his defense is exaggerated, Quite a bit, imo.

Are you sure, Reborn?

I've sung high praises in the face of doubt since he signed with us, but the kid does not play defense. He may hustle, but some of the other 5'9" kids on his team are better defenders.

Another poster pointed out how our current walk-on, Paul Pennington blew by him over and over and over again.

I've only seen that with Brock. If not getting blown by, then he fouls to make up for it.

Not saying there is no hope, obviously will get coached up once he arrives, just stating how it currently rates. At the same stage, he is light years behind many other prospects on defense.

However, I am grateful we have him, and for his offensive prowess, play, and skills. He will be fun to watch from Day 1.

No one liked the Gerry McNamara (one of the best 'Cuse players of all-time), yet I think its pretty spot on. Not much defense, but smart enough to make up for it, a bulldog with the ball, elite shooter, and strong/savvy kid.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2018, 10:54 AM
How is he going to be a contributor to a top 20 team at his height and if his D is so atrocious? Puzzling scouting report.

Zagdawg
04-22-2018, 11:03 AM
For a fan who thinks being a good college basketball player requires someone to be tall and play good defense -- this will be a conundrum -- for fans who understand the basketball has multiple aspects that can allow a player to contribute to a top 20 team -- it is not so much an issue.

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 11:13 AM
How is he going to be a contributor to a top 20 team at his height and if his D is so atrocious? Puzzling scouting report.

Hopefully it comes around, as not an effort issue with Brock, rather a fundamental issue.

Coaching and off-season program specified for defensive fundamentals will work wonders.

Our defense has really improved since Donny Daniels was brought on board. Maybe not 3pt close outs, but one on one M2M certainly has...

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time we've hidden a player on defense to fully utilize his shooting/scoring/ability.

cggonzaga
04-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Never a doubt in my mind. When you watch him, he has the aggression, wiggle, mindset, game to develop into an offensive star at the next level. His play making and shot making are natural. Been a big proponent of him since the beginning...and this coming from a Jesse Wade skeptic. Finesse vs nastiness on offense. Similar games, wayyyyy different mindsets. The latter is 80% if the battle once you have/hone the skills. Said it all along, Ravet will be a star for GU. Honestly, one of the more cant miss guards we have recruited on offense since Pangos.

Having said all that, Ravet makes Wade look like Gary Payton on defense.

Generally, tough to scout a prospects defense at HS level. However, Ravet wouldn't be recruited at the D3 level for his defense. When he "tries" he fouls, as in instantly. Notice he will have 5 or 6 fouls vs better competition limiting him on offense, as he is almost always the best offensive player on the floor...no matter the ranking.

There is zero fundamentals on that end. I quit basketball my freshman year in HS (remained the manager though) and I could blow by Ravet with one move. Not an exaggeration.

Ravet will get instant playing time for us. A blue chip shooter and playmaker and just has the right mental make up to his game, yet we will have to spend a ton of time trying to coach him on defense.

Odd really. Ravet is quick twitched and uses angles well on offense, yet no lateral quickness on defense.

I still think he’s far from can’t miss but he’s closing the gap. I’ve always thought of him as elite offensively as I’ve seen him play against good and bad competition. He’s pretty consistently scored against everybody. However, D1 basketball is a different beast so we’ll see.

I’ve always known his defense leaves much to be desired. Defense can easily be improved though.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2018, 11:14 AM
For a fan who thinks being a good college basketball player requires someone to be tall and play good defense -- this will be a conundrum -- for fans who understand the basketball has multiple aspects that can allow a player to contribute to a top 20 team -- it is not so much an issue.

Like I said, the scouting report is a conundrum.

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Do you remember Tyler Haws for BYU?

That is who Brock reminds me of, albeit a bit shorter.

An offensive machine.

Man, he was good. Made scoring/shooting look so easy.

He averaged over 21+ ppg from his Sophomore to Senior season. Routinely put up 25 vs us.

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Like I said, the scouting report is a conundrum.

IF Brock was 2" taller and his defense was more sound, he'd be a Top-40 type player, imho.

Nearly every scouting "report" is a conundrum, esp at the HS level. Strengths, weaknesses, overall, & areas of improvement.

Heck, RJ Barret can't shoot a lick, thus a conundrum when praising his ability.

Zagdawg
04-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Instead he is ranked #77 in the country -- and only going to improve as the year progresses.

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Instead he is ranked #77 in the country -- and only going to improve as the year progresses.

Exactly.

Sometimes we forget he's a 2019 recruit. Often times, recruits make big improvements during their Senior season, as schools of interest give feedback and tell them what to work on, etc.

Since Brock already has a few State Championships under his belt, I'd like to see him transfer his final season, but totally up to him. Move to a higher division and specifically work on defending better athletes.

Brock already holds his own in AAU play, Camps, All-Star tourneys, etc, yet looks silly on the defensive side in those games.

Another year of improved focus, strength, and fundamentals is what he needs. Scoring 35 ppg is fun, but he's already proven his offensive self, time to round out his game.

As Joe Cremo said,

“I’ve always been a guy to try to get guys involved, be a complete player, elevate my defense, and keep getting better. Offensively, I feel like I can do much more than shoot the ball. I’m not a freak athlete, but making plays for other guys. That’s where you have to find the fit.”

OntZags
04-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Heck, RJ Barret can't shoot a lick, thus a conundrum when praising his ability.

That's not quite fair to say. I've seen him shoot very well in several different games. But he is incredibly inconsistent with his shooting and it is clearly his biggest weakness.

But he checks off literally every other box, hence the lavish praise. Him improving his shooting is the difference between him becoming a very, very good NBAer or a possible top-5 NBA player.

Since Brock already has a few State Championships under his belt, I'd like to see him transfer his final season, but totally up to him. Move to a higher division and specifically work on defending better athletes.

Agreed. Obviously entirely his and his families' call but I think he would benefit from moving for his final year. Paying at G Prep would not be a terrible idea as in addition to improving his d he would get the opportunity to develop chemistry with Watson. You'd have to think that team would have a fighting chance to get the Nationals.

doctorzag
04-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Ravet 21 pts and 4 assists in leading his team to a win against some solid competition

https://twitter.com/LC_Recruiting/status/987882335482728448

Also another game win

LeftCoastRecruiting

@LC_Recruiting
Follow Follow @LC_Recruiting
More
Final: @WASupreme 81, G3 Grind 72 . Willie Thomas 22 pts, @PBGDOO 18 pts, Shaw Anderson 16 pts, @Brock3ravet 15 pts @Edward_turner5 5 pts, 6 ast, 4 stl

Five of ten from deep.

tummydoc
04-22-2018, 04:06 PM
How is he going to be a contributor to a top 20 team at his height and if his D is so atrocious? Puzzling scouting report.Just needs to grow the "stache". We've seen dynamite offense and no defense before...

tummydoc
04-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Oops, just looked at his height. More Jesse than Adam.
Just needs to grow the "stache". We've seen dynamite offense and no defense before...

Zagger
04-22-2018, 04:57 PM
Oops, just looked at his height. More Jesse than Adam.

I think John Stockton and Brock Ravet are the same height :)

kitzbuel
04-23-2018, 03:26 AM
With 2 steals he is obviously not a complete defensive liability.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
04-23-2018, 04:38 AM
With 2 steals he is obviously not a complete defensive liability.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Really stretching, Kitz.

MileHigh
04-23-2018, 04:58 AM
From my brief time following Few, it seems that you are not going to play guard for him unless you can defend. If this kid is really that bad on defense, he will be pulling splinters out his butt.

jazzdelmar
04-23-2018, 05:27 AM
From my brief time following Few, it seems that you are not going to play guard for him unless you can defend. If this kid is really that bad on defense, he will be pulling splinters out his butt.

Thank you, Mile. There seems to be a large dose of amnesia or denial on the board when it comes to this regarding Ravet.

TexasZagFan
04-23-2018, 05:39 AM
Thank you, Mile. There seems to be a large dose of amnesia or denial on the board when it comes to this regarding Ravet.

No doubt in my ex-military mind that Zach Norvelle has bought in when it comes to playing defense. The improvement he showed kept him on the court after Corey was fully recovered from his ankle injury.

EEzag
04-23-2018, 07:43 AM
No doubt in my ex-military mind that Zach Norvelle has bought in when it comes to playing defense. The improvement he showed kept him on the court after Corey was fully recovered from his ankle injury.

don't kid yourself, even when Norvelle bought in, he struggled a lot. Kispert just was worse on D.

In todays game you have to be able to guard the pg position on the perimeter or Rui and Tills are going to foul out a lot.

thespywhozaggedme
04-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Kispert was a starter until he got hurt and he is a really atrocious on defence

caldwellzag
04-23-2018, 08:41 AM
A student of mine who played in this same tourney, actually played Ravet team. His report on Ravet is he can shoot the lights out and is tough on the court. He was pretty impressed. His team had Paul Pennington on it, until he signed his Preferred walk on with us. He was super impressed with Paul and said if he was 6'2 he would be a 4/5 star guy. He said Paul is small, but extremely good on the defensive end and can get to the basket and score.

raise the zag
04-23-2018, 09:17 AM
A student of mine who played in this same tourney, actually played Ravet team. His report on Ravet is he can shoot the lights out and is tough on the court. He was pretty impressed. His team had Paul Pennington on it, until he signed his Preferred walk on with us. He was super impressed with Paul and said if he was 6'2 he would be a 4/5 star guy. He said Paul is small, but extremely good on the defensive end and can get to the basket and score.

As I said earlier, Paul could become the next David Stockton.

Both Prep Hoops & local media named Pennington the top guard prospect in the State for TWO years running.

3 steals per game, 7 assists per game, 20 pts per game.

But only 5'9", 150 lbs.

Tore it up on the tourney circuit in Seattle.

Huge pick up for a walk on

caldwellzag
04-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Both Prep Hoops & local media named Pennington the top guard prospect in the State for TWO years running.

But only 5'9", 150 lbs.

I agree. I have seen him play against Idaho talent, but that assessment is about like us assessing Brock against small school Washington talent. It was nice to talk to my student today, who plays club ball with him against good competetion.

doctorzag
04-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Why are we not questioning Brandon Williams defensive abilities?? The games that I have seen he plays little to no defense.

doctorzag
04-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Dan Dickau was first team all defensive in WCC was he not?

EEzag
04-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Why are we not questioning Brandon Williams defensive abilities?? The games that I have seen he plays little to no defense.

Maybe because highlight YouTube videos only show offense and the occasional blocked shot? To be honest, I have no idea if he can D up.

cggonzaga
04-23-2018, 10:17 AM

But only 5'9", 150 lbs.

I’ve heard Paul is much closer to 5’7” than 5’10” unless he’s grown recently.

raise the zag
04-23-2018, 11:40 AM
I’ve heard Paul is much closer to 5’7” than 5’10” unless he’s grown recently.

Could be. Going by his listed height with shoes is around 5'9".

Have a feeling about this kid.

Might find a niche role in a few yrs time. All our preferred walk ons can ball, yet Paul is on another level with his overall skillset.

He rec some interest at the D1 level, and Coach Few targeted him after watching him succeed vs top tier competition.

His team won the Seattle Championships with Paul at PG.

cggonzaga
04-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Could be. Going by his listed height with shoes is around 5'9".

Have a feeling about this kid.

Might find a niche role in a few yrs time. All our preferred walk ons can ball, yet Paul is on another level with his overall skillset.

He rec some interest at the D1 level, and Coach Few targeted him after watching him succeed vs top tier competition.

His team won the Seattle Championships with Paul at PG.

Yes, he can play from what I’ve heard. Has some David Stockton in him by all accounts.

Zagdawg
04-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Inside The Kennel

@InsideTheKennel
4h4 hours ago
More
After struggling a bit this weekend, @Brock3ravet went off tonight with 21 points on only 11 shots against one of the top players in the country in RJ Hampton

Zagdawg
05-03-2018, 05:37 AM
https://twitter.com/AWProductions_/status/991852783719481344

hooter73
05-03-2018, 05:49 AM
That’s an awfully low release but it seems to work for him. Going to be interesting to see these guys play and develop for sure.

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2018, 06:01 AM
That’s an awfully low release but it seems to work for him. Going to be interesting to see these guys play and develop for sure.

It's identical to Raivio's and it worked for him. I'm so curious to see how Ravet projects to high major D1 hoops. That clip is really impressive though, I will say that.

jazzdelmar
05-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Burnt by Wade, a major miss, I am from Mizzou on Ravet. How does he get that shot off against beefy, 6-4 guards like Creighton, among others, had this year?

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Burnt by Wade, a major miss, I am from Mizzou on Ravet. How does he get that shot off against beefy, 6-4 guards like Creighton, among others, had this year?

A. How did Raivio do it? B. He's doing it in AAU this year. C. What does Wade have to do with Ravet? D. How can you declare Wade a "major miss" after one season? Players do get better.