PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Matthews to the New Orleans Pelicans--where is the love on this board?

basketballzag
06-27-2017, 02:42 PM
I told everyone on this board that Gonzaga would have four players sign with NBA teams this year and guess what I see four playing in the league right now. Jordan couldn't have picked a better team to sign with.

primal23
06-27-2017, 02:55 PM
I told everyone on this board that Gonzaga would have four players sign with NBA teams this year and guess what I see four playing in the league right now. Jordan couldn't have picked a better team to sign with.

Wouldn't have made it to the elite eight and beyond without him!!
Good luck Jordan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
06-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Fabulous. Totally thrilled. He can bulk up and throw in some bombs. He had great effort on the defensive end and goodness knows NO needs players. He is all effort . .

ZagMan in Philly
06-27-2017, 02:56 PM
I will definitely try to watch his summer league games, i hope he will light them up.
Go Jordan!

ZagNative
06-27-2017, 02:57 PM
I told everyone on this board that Gonzaga would have four players sign with NBA teams this year and guess what I see four playing in the league right now. Jordan couldn't have picked a better team to sign with.His games are listed on the table in this thead: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?60796-Zags-in-Summer-League-Starting-July-1

Bogozags
06-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Not trying to be pessimistic or a Debbie Downer BUT I remember SG trying to get PT during his first summer league and he received limited minutes but then in the second summer, after getting even less time, he just quit realizing it wasn't going to be...these teams have an agenda to look at certain players...I do hope that Jordan is given an opportunity to show his wares...

gonzagafan62
06-27-2017, 06:03 PM
So much better than some stupid Keegan Hyland thread. Good kid btw

Zagger
06-28-2017, 02:34 AM
Cool. Goes to show what a transfer to GU can do for an athlete ..... the transfer gave Jordan a chance to shine. This very well could too.

thebigsmoove
06-28-2017, 04:22 AM

Jordan wont be in the NBA this year, but its still nice to see him get some action in summer league. The thing about the summer league is that players can shine (ala Adam Morrison) and still never get meaningful minutes once the regular season starts. Ill be more ecstatic if he can earn a contract.

CDC84
06-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Just making a NBA team is a nice way to make a living.........even though the competitive spirit of players craves for PT.

zagbeliever
06-28-2017, 09:23 AM
So proud of this year's team! Also proud of our four pros. I'm glad they all landed somewhere. They will shine.

Mojo13
06-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Just to be clear, this is just a SL invite - nothing more. He has not signed with an NBA team, he is not "playing in the league", is probably not even getting paid for this outside maybe some expenses covered. Technically you might be right as he probably actually signed his name to something that had an NBA team logo on it. So there is that. NBA teams need bodies on these teams. Players love the experience, competition and exposure.

Get very excited if he signs a partial deal (like Wiltjer last year), gets one of the new two-way G-league deals, or even just gets invited to the Pelicans training camp.

For a guy like him the importance is due to loads of European/Asian pro team GMs will be there scouting for talent. Let's hope he gets some decent minutes and can show something to what will most likely be his future employers.

I am throwing out numbers here, so please help me out.....maybe 85% of the guys on SL rosters won't touch the NBA this year? More? Less?

I am not sure you realize the long shot it is for undrafted players to play a game in the NBA. It happens of course (Wiltjer) but even if a guy plays on a SL team he is still a long, long away from the NBA.

TexasZagFan
06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
O/T, but I think Shem is going to dazzle the Hornets this summer.

thebigsmoove
06-28-2017, 12:30 PM

That i can agree with. Hes old school, but i have to beleive there is still room for a 7-1 300 pound monster in the middle who can run plays out of the high post with skill.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
With rosters expanding, though, there is still a chance Jordan could land somewhere. Even if he went between the D-League and the NBA.

Is it likely that he goes to Europe? Sure. But remember, Jordan's defensive value increased playing for Gonzaga. A sharp shooter that can play some D might be enough to get on at the end of a bench somewhere.

Mojo13
06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
With rosters expanding, though, there is still a chance Jordan could land somewhere. Even if he went between the D-League and the NBA.

Is it likely that he goes to Europe? Sure. But remember, Jordan's defensive value increased playing for Gonzaga. A sharp shooter that can play some D might be enough to get on at the end of a bench somewhere.

You are right that this a great year for kids to turn pro. 60 new potential jobs in the NBA with these two way contracts for guys with less than 4 years pro experience. It will be quite interesting to see how they are used. He certainly could snag one - the 3&D skill set is in high demand.

B Wayne
06-29-2017, 07:09 PM
He made the biggest shot in GU basketball history against WV. If I'm wrong let me know.

GonzaGAW
06-29-2017, 07:22 PM
He made the biggest shot in GU basketball history against WV. If I'm wrong let me know.

I will always remember Jordan Matthews, and in large measure because of that one shot
I mean honestly no other shot come close as to being so important.

sittingon50
06-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Calvary's tip-in vs Florida?

Coach Crazy
06-29-2017, 08:07 PM

Great. Now we're going to have another civil war hahahaha.

Zagceo
06-30-2017, 09:26 AM

as one in the house for both plays........yes its does come close

MDABE80
06-30-2017, 10:10 AM
as one in the house for both plays........yes its does come close

See how much luck a team needs to get past the Swt 16? Just look at how we got to the FF.!! Every game in the Tournament could have gone differently.
Tuck this thought away all of you when March comes round.

JPtheBeasta
06-30-2017, 10:21 AM

It seems that the pendulum will swing back to favor big men like Karnowsk at some point. It was encouraging to read recently that at least one NBA coach saw that he was best in high elbow action- that at least suggests some decent footwork/nimbleness It's weird to think that the winningest player in college basketball history had such little draft talk. If this was The Shaquille O'Neill era people would have grabbed him just for his 6 fouls and some potential ability to slow him down a bit.

bballbeachbum
06-30-2017, 10:59 AM
See how much luck a team needs to get past the Swt 16? Just look at how we got to the FF.!! Every game in the Tournament could have gone differently.
Tuck this thought away all of you when March comes round.

true all could have gone different and luck has its place but I'm going with the Zags had their best team ever with the coaching ever cresting through today that affected the outcomes, especially on the defensive end; rim protection with ZC off the bench and no worry about him collecting fouls because Shem is there and JWIII the third best on the team, that is pretty good. All that allowed them to finally dominate the defensive perimeter, never done that before seems to me. and like you always say, defense the key, something we agree on

anyway, great to hear Jordan getting looks, and I can't pick between those two shots