PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Coleman Lands?

quadcityzag
06-27-2017, 10:35 AM
If you want to delete this thread and put any updates under the graduate transfer thread, that would be fine with me. But I was just curious if there are any reports, news or evidence that Jalen Coleman Lands was visiting campus this past weekend. There are a bunch of posts of how he would fit right in, this and that but haven't heard anything if he was spotted or actually was in town for hoopfest over the weekend. Whats the latest info?

SLOZag
06-27-2017, 01:26 PM
If you want to delete this thread and put any updates under the graduate transfer thread, that would be fine with me. But I was just curious if there are any reports, news or evidence that Jalen Coleman Lands was visiting campus this past weekend. There are a bunch of posts of how he would fit right in, this and that but haven't heard anything if he was spotted or actually was in town for hoopfest over the weekend. Whats the latest info?

The following tweet was sent out by Jeff Rabjohns (@JeffRabjohns) the morning of June 24: "Former Cathedral/La Lumiere guard Jalen Coleman-Lands, transferring from Illinois, is visiting Gonzaga this weekend."

Perhaps twitter jocks on this Board can pursue that tweet for an answer to your question.

thebigsmoove
06-28-2017, 04:31 AM
Looks like he visited DePaul early june and Xavier mid June. Will be interesting to see if he actually is cool with the depth we have at Guard already.

Spokaneer
06-28-2017, 06:28 AM

I'm good with the guards we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coach Crazy
06-28-2017, 09:12 AM
With Josh and Silas being seniors, I am all for a kid like this. As long as he understands what his role and opportunity would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sittingon50
06-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Josh is RS Jr.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Josh is RS Jr.

Oh, duh. My bad.

doctorzag
06-28-2017, 11:31 AM
With Josh and Silas being seniors, I am all for a kid like this. As long as he understands what his role and opportunity would be.

Coleman- Lands would have to sit out a year so Melson will not even be on the team when he is eligible.

thebigsmoove
06-28-2017, 12:31 PM
for some reason i think a lot of people thought he was a grad transfer, He is not. He is going to be a redshirt junior in 2018-19, and redshirt senior in 2019-20.

Coach Crazy
06-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Coleman- Lands would have to sit out a year so Melson will not even be on the team when he is eligible.

Right. He wouldn't have a place this year. With Silas gone that would leave a spot open, provided it was not awarded to someone else.

If he was a grad transfer, it really wouldn't make sense.

btzag
06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Well there are plenty of open schollies both years. But I really like the idea of an older and more physically developed guard to go along with Wade, Ayayi and Norvell in 2018. Perkins of course would be the leader and vet but who knows if he chooses to go pro after this year whether NBA or Europe? Plenty of opportunity here for Jalen and a great staff to develop him!

Mantua
06-28-2017, 05:23 PM
http://bustingbrackets.com/2016/09/10/illinois-basketball-jalen-coleman-lands-breaks-shooting-hand-eight-weeks/

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/05/25/jalen-coleman-lands-to-transfer-out-of-illinois/

What year did he redshirt?

He's had a couple of injuries and his coach was fired. All things considered he looks like a pretty good player who hasn't reached his potential.

DukeSilver
06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm good with the guards we have.

I'm personally ready to welcome a former top-40 guard with two years of eligibility remaining with open arms ... A year of training with Travis Knight and getting used to the system / scrimmaging with the team should go a long ways towards realizing his potential here at GU.

Mantua
06-28-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm personally ready to welcome a former top-40 guard with two years of eligibility remaining with open arms ... A year of training with Travis Knight and getting used to the system / scrimmaging with the team should go a long ways towards realizing his potential here at GU.

I completely agree. I like what this article says about his background and character.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/doyel-jalen-colemanlands-is-more-than-a-basketball-player-much-more

TexasZagFan
06-29-2017, 04:55 AM
Well there are plenty of open schollies both years. But I really like the idea of an older and more physically developed guard to go along with Wade, Ayayi and Norvell in 2018. Perkins of course would be the leader and vet but who knows if he chooses to go pro after this year whether NBA or Europe? Plenty of opportunity here for Jalen and a great staff to develop him!

I'm not usually one who looks to the next season, but I'm a bit concerned 2019 is going to be like 2015, where we were down to 7 scholarship players active. I'm confident that Larsen, Norvell, Kispert, Wade, and Ayayi will return. I'm not so certain about Rui, JP, or Tillie returning.

Coach Crazy
06-29-2017, 05:18 AM
He moves well without the ball. He's a good 3 point shooter, and could take that part of his game up one more level.

Can play with or without the ball. Has the quickness to drive past defenders and the athleticism to attack the rim. Gets up quick, and has a quick release on his shot.

In other words, would be a great guard to play alongside Josh and Wade. As long as he is willing to play within the system and the time he'd be allotted...I'm all in favor of this one.

Coach Crazy
06-29-2017, 05:22 AM
I'm not usually one who looks to the next season, but I'm a bit concerned 2019 is going to be like 2015, where we were down to 7 scholarship players active. I'm confident that Larsen, Norvell, Kispert, Wade, and Ayayi will return. I'm not so certain about Rui, JP, or Tillie returning.

Really? I think your comments are telling of how far this program has come. But I'm personally not worried. Anton is gonna end up hovering around that 100-150 range, and Kamaka (although, he has one-and-done potential) may sign here. Add to that the possibility of Coleman-Lands, and some other Euro's, and I just see this team doing keeping up the rhythm.

We're turning into the Spurs of college basketball...

jazzdelmar
06-29-2017, 05:41 AM

JP?

TexasZagFan
06-29-2017, 05:50 AM
JP?

Josh...I'm looking for JP to have a great year at the point, though I don't know if he'll have his degree by the end of the year.

ZagsGoZags
06-29-2017, 06:19 AM
Really? I think your comments are telling of how far this program has come. But I'm personally not worried. Anton is gonna end up hovering around that 100-150 range, and Kamaka (although, he has one-and-done potential) may sign here. Add to that the possibility of Coleman-Lands, and some other Euro's, and I just see this team doing keeping up the rhythm.

We're turning into the Spurs of college basketball...

I would like to be the Spurs of college basketball, and with Karno for five years, I like the analogy.
But they play with the constant of Bill Duncan, and we don't have an equivalent for that right now.
I expect the staff to try to get one more big this summer ... I hope they succeed.

Coach Crazy
07-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Chose DePaul

btzag
07-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Chose DePaul

Wow picked DePaul over GU and Xavier.

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2017, 09:52 PM

Start at DePaul or back up Norvelle and Kispert here.

doctorzag
07-03-2017, 06:03 AM

His high school coach was hired at Depaul as an assistant.

Reborn
07-03-2017, 06:09 AM
As I've been saying over and over again, there just isn't room for kids that want to start, or even get significant minutes on the court, at GU.

thespywhozaggedme
07-03-2017, 06:14 AM
As I've been saying over and over again, there just isn't room for kids that want to start, or even get significant minutes on the court, at GU.

Correct, and that's why the Debbie Downers should not be too bummed out that were missing out on second tier recruits. Our young studs are just that, studs.

zagsfanforlife
07-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Start at DePaul or back up Norvelle and Kispert here.

Lol you are one of the greatest apologists on this board. Fact is we swung and missed on another. Will you ever be critical or can we just assume that whoever we miss on you didn't want anyways?

thespywhozaggedme
07-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Lol you are one of the greatest apologists on this board. Fact is we swung and missed on another. Will you ever be critical or can we just assume that whoever we miss on you didn't want anyways?

Seriously? He wasn't going to start over Kispert or Norvelle. It really is that simple. And I think this is the first time in 20 years of posting on these boards that I've been called an apologist. First for everything. LOL

zagsfanforlife
07-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Seriously? He wasn't going to start over Kispert or Norvelle. It really is that simple. And I think this is the first time in 20 years of posting on these boards that I've been called an apologist. First for everything. LOL

The simple fact is that we have tried on 6 kids now for 17 or 18 and have not gotten one we wanted.

bartruff1
07-03-2017, 07:57 AM
We should hire Lavar Ball....not just for the laughs but also to get some of the Ball Boys....

TexasZagFan
07-03-2017, 09:10 AM
The simple fact is that we have tried on 6 kids now for 17 or 18 and have not gotten one we wanted.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder735/500x/50943735/master-po-patience-grasshopper.jpg

We're in great shape this year, could go 10 deep.

2018 appears to be a bit thin, but the cupboard is far from bare: Kispert, Norvell, Larsen, Tillie (?), Wade, Ayayi, Jeremy Jones.

Assuming for now that Josh and Rui are in the final year, won't be coming back...same could apply to Tillie.

TexasZagFan
07-03-2017, 09:10 AM
We should hire Lavar Ball....not just for the laughs but also to get some of the Ball Boys....

Spokane isn't big enough for Lavar.

JPtheBeasta
07-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Serious question: What is the staff doing wrong?

TexasZagFan
07-03-2017, 09:17 AM

Reading these threads??? :lmao:

Sorry, that wasn't a serious answer.

thespywhozaggedme
07-03-2017, 09:17 AM

And how many of those where we seriously considering? In other words are we just kicking tires or are we seriously committed to bring them in? If we were bringing them were we bringing them in to be starters or bench depth? Our team for this upcoming season is loaded and I would not be shocked if we reached the elite eight.

thespywhozaggedme
07-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Nothing. For the one millionth time we play in the WCC, any coach worth his salt will negatively recruit against that and unfortunately it works. The fact that we are so good despite our conference is a testament to how good of a coach Few is. We are a national powerhouse in a mid major conference. Please everyone let that sink in.

TexasZagFan
07-03-2017, 09:20 AM
And how many of those where we seriously considering? In other words are we just kicking tires or are we seriously committed to bring them in? If we were bringing them were we bringing them in to be starters or bench depth? Our team for this upcoming season is loaded and I would not be shocked if we reached the elite eight.

This team will be much better in March than November. We need to avoid the injury bug, something SMC has accomplished two years in a row.

primal23
07-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Spokane isn't big enough for Lavar.

I doubt LA is big enough, heck the planet might not be big enough for his ego.

kitzbuel
07-03-2017, 10:34 AM

The real question is; despite all these set backs, how is the staff still excelling?

Reborn
07-03-2017, 10:53 AM

your post is anemic because of what you said about the Zags "striking out" on Lands. It carries no weight at all. I believe you are wrong on this debate. Lands NEVER would have played at Gonzaga and I believe he knew it.

bartruff1
07-03-2017, 01:09 PM
I doubt LA is big enough, heck the planet might not be big enough for his ego.

He should run for office...

DixieZag
07-03-2017, 01:11 PM
While it's true that there's no room for anyone coming in, that didn't stop us in the last few years, each of which, it seemed as though we were stuffed to the gills, only to hear of someone rather unexpected coming.

And, yes, we play in the WCC, but that didn't stop us from landing all those guys referenced above. It's not like we just now started.

They've been unable to land any of them. Though it's no reason to panic, there's enough to wonder why. Whether we were ever real committed to anyone, or whether there are names we don't know of that are higher priorities. I think news from Europe would be apprecaited.

zagsfanforlife
07-03-2017, 02:36 PM
your post is anemic because of what you said about the Zags "striking out" on Lands. It carries no weight at all. I believe you are wrong on this debate. Lands NEVER would have played at Gonzaga and I believe he knew it.

Based on what? Guy wouldn't be eligible till 18-19. You forgetting that? Melson gone, perk 1 year left,who is in his way? Kispert, norvell, wade? Putting a ton of confidence in kids that haven't played one game in the ncaas vs a kid who averaged 10 at a big 10 school and was top 75 out of high school

Coach Crazy
07-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Correct, and that's why the Debbie Downers should not be too bummed out that were missing out on second tier recruits. Our young studs are just that, studs.

Not quite sure how he would be in the same positional rotation as Kispert? He's not going to get minutes at the 2, and even if he did....very limited.

As well, if you're calling Coleman-Lands a second tier athlete, then you're throwing a slight at CK, as well. Would he start over Norvell? No, of course not. That was one of the great misses of his class by the scouts. But he's more of an actual athlete than CK. Not the same position, not as strong, but athletic, quick, and has some ups.

Coach Crazy
07-03-2017, 04:56 PM
While it's true that there's no room for anyone coming in, that didn't stop us in the last few years, each of which, it seemed as though we were stuffed to the gills, only to hear of someone rather unexpected coming.

And, yes, we play in the WCC, but that didn't stop us from landing all those guys referenced above. It's not like we just now started.

They've been unable to land any of them. Though it's no reason to panic, there's enough to wonder why. Whether we were ever real committed to anyone, or whether there are names we don't know of that are higher priorities. I think news from Europe would be apprecaited.

It's about player expectations. Coleman-Lands had a coaching connection there and wanted to play more minutes and possibly have a more focal role than he would have gotten here.

J3, NWG, Mathews all bought in. Winning in the post-season and a certain level of personal development were a priority. That hasn't necessarily been the case with some of the kids who have gone elsewhere this year.

thespywhozaggedme
07-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Based on what? Guy wouldn't be eligible till 18-19. You forgetting that? Melson gone, perk 1 year left,who is in his way? Kispert, norvell, wade? Putting a ton of confidence in kids that haven't played one game in the ncaas vs a kid who averaged 10 at a big 10 school and was top 75 out of high school

OK, I will make you a username bet. At the end of their respective careers I will bet that Wade, Kispert, and Norvelle will all have better statistical careers then your guy. Zagazags lost a bet with me and will have to post under a different username for this upcoming season, do you want to suffer the same fate? LOL

ZionZag
07-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Geez......I was under the impression that the guys we brought to the picnic last year constituted one of the best recruiting classes in the history of the school. Please take a deep breath............

Coach Crazy
07-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Geez......I was under the impression that the guys we brought to the picnic last year constituted one of the best recruiting classes in the history of the school. Please take a deep breath............

It was. One of the big issues is that people are having a hard time trusting an adjusted offensive approach with less deep post entries. There will be more motion. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Especially considering our depth at the wing.

Another big one was Zach leaving for the NBA, which really plays off of point number one.

There are other things, but regardless of those that haven't played, yet. There is some tremendous potential. We need to get used to freshman playing and being a reason for our success.

If you would have said that Killian Tillie and Zach Collins would be necessary for a Championship run, you would have been laughed at.

bartruff1
07-04-2017, 04:55 AM
After 20 years of the most remarkable success, I have no reason to question the Staffs ability or dedication ....Can hardly wait to see the new team play and expect it will be very successful by any objective measure...

JPtheBeasta
07-04-2017, 06:32 AM
I was hoping that the people complaining about lackluster recruiting so far would offer some ideas about what the coaches could do better. I'm disappointed.

Coach Crazy
07-04-2017, 07:18 AM
I was hoping that the people complaining about lackluster recruiting so far would offer some ideas about what the coaches could do better. I'm disappointed.

I don't think results-based logic is going to work for this program, with regard to recruiting.

You have to follow the formula. What if they would have agreed to play Taeshon at the 2 just to get him? You have an amazing talent, but it's probably not worth the trade-off's.

NotoriousZ
07-05-2017, 10:43 AM

That's spot on. Was it Tommy who said we know about 10 percent of what goes on in recruiting? I'll go with that and trust that the staff is doing everything possible to get the players we need.