PDA

View Full Version : Zags in Summer League Starting July 1

ZagNative
06-26-2017, 06:45 PM
So, we've got Pangos with the Wizards, Shem with the Hornets, Nigel with the Jazz, Collins with the Trail Blazers, Jordan with the Pelicans, and here's a roundup of the preliminary games:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2051.png_zps73h40hjc.jpg

Here's the Hornets Summer League Roster:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Hornets%20summer%20league%20roster_zpsxdfhba8a.jpg

sittingon50
06-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Native, I think Jordan hooked on with the Pelicans. Are they in this summer league (Vegas?) or the one in Florida?

willandi
06-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Native, I think Jordan hooked on with the Pelicans. Are they in this summer league (Vegas?) or the one in Florida?

ZN has him listed with them.

ZagNative
06-26-2017, 08:08 PM
Native, I think Jordan hooked on with the Pelicans. Are they in this summer league (Vegas?) or the one in Florida?Yeah, i missed including him in the heading but included him in the table. I'm counting on Jordan making a good showing in summer league.

MDABE80
06-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Always adds a lot ZN. thanks for your work.

sittingon50
06-26-2017, 10:21 PM
These trifocles ain't gettin' it done!!

Thanks wil & Native.

Kong-Kool-Aid
06-27-2017, 07:23 AM
'Merica day... The Polish Prince vs the Lithuanian Lumberjack ..... The fireworks!

TexasZagFan
06-27-2017, 07:25 AM
These trifocles ain't gettin' it done!!

Thanks wil & Native.

Have you tried multi-focal contact lenses? I swear by them.

Of course, I swear when I'm not wearing them, too. :lmao:

btzag
06-27-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm assuming Wiltjer will also be participating but the Rockets have not released their roster yet? Also any word on Sacre getting another chance with a team? Any info on both these would be much appreciated!

ZagNative
06-27-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm assuming Wiltjer will also be participating but the Rockets have not released their roster yet? Also any word on Sacre getting another chance with a team? Any info on both these would be much appreciated!Thanks for mentioning Wiltjer. Pretty sure he'll be playing in Summer League, so I added him to the table in my first post in the thread.

2wiceright
06-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Always adds a lot ZN. thanks for your work.

I will second that ZN - your hard work is appreciated by all and I think you make us all a little bit more lazy-speaking for myself, Of course, LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZagNative
06-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks, Twiceright! Obviously, I enjoy the research and posting, or I wouldn't invest the time and energy.

Here's a piece from Jim Meehan today about Shem's hopes to prrove himself with the Hornets in Summer League: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/29/przemek-karnowski-trying-to-stick-with-charlotte-h/

Karnowski believes Charlotte was the best of several summer-league options to eventually find his way on an NBA roster, or at least earn an invite to training camp.

That he had options shows NBA teams are satisfied with the condition of his back.

“I did complex testing in LA with my agency and everything was sent out to the teams, all the notes after surgery,” he said. “Obviously they’re aware of my situation and they had to consider that when offering me.

“As much as my surgery was dangerous in 2015 and in 2016 doing rehab, I think I proved to the teams that I didn’t miss a game, I practiced and I’m sure they talked to coach (Mark) Few and my other coaches.”

“He’s quicker than you think, he has very good hands and good basketball instincts,” Hornets league coach Stephen Silas said in a video on the team’s website. “We worked more (Tuesday) on post-ups and (Wednesday) we were playing more to his strength, which is flashing to the elbow, the high post, and making plays that way. I think that’s where his game is as opposed to pounding inside and trying to score.”

The Hornets recently acquired center Dwight Howard from Atlanta. They have 7-footers Frank Kaminsky, a third-year pro who can play on the perimeter, and Cody Zeller, entering his fifth year.

“I think it’s the best situation for me,” Karnowski said. “Great organization and they worked me out so they know what I’m capable of.

“I’m trying to stay (with Charlotte). If not, I’ll think about going to Europe.”

GeorgiaZagFan
06-30-2017, 12:00 AM
I'm assuming Wiltjer will also be participating but the Rockets have not released their roster yet? Also any word on Sacre getting another chance with a team? Any info on both these would be much appreciated!

Kyle is now with the Clippers ...

northsidezagfan
06-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Bit OT but the Jazz traded for Rocky Rubio today. Not great for Nigel but still hooping he has a good summer!

ZagMan in Philly
06-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Bit OT but the Jazz traded for Rocky Rubio today. Not great for Nigel but still hooping he has a good summer!

ok i think, rubio replacing george hill.

Sarenyon
06-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Changes, they're a happening... lots of wheeling and dealing in the NBA this week. KW to Clippers and DS to the Pacers.

CdAZagFan
06-30-2017, 08:21 PM
ZN... went back to look at the schedule for Summer League that you posted (very handy, by the way!) and now there is just an icon there from Photobucket saying to upgrade your account. Can someone repost that? Can't believe summer league starts tomorrow...

ZagNative
06-30-2017, 09:25 PM
ZN... went back to look at the schedule for Summer League that you posted (very handy, by the way!) and now there is just an icon there from Photobucket saying to upgrade your account. Can someone repost that? Can't believe summer league starts tomorrow...Lousy Photobucket! They now want $400 a year for accounts that allow 3rd part web hosting! Imageshack here I come!

Note: I've updated the chart to show Wiltjer now with the Clippers and Sabonis with the Pacers.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/577x607q90/r/924/IErg3N.jpg

Here's the link to the full list of summer league games: http://stats.nba.com/schedule/summerleague/#!/?rfr=nba

ZagNative
07-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Shem playing now for the Hornets vs. the Heat on NBA TV, Comcast #630. /Box Score (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170701/CHAMIA/hornets/analysis). Hornets leading 69-59 ith 1:46 left in the fourth quarter. Shem not setting the world on fire.

Pacers vs. Magic coming up in a couple of minutes.

willandi
07-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Shem playing now for the Hornets vs. the Heat on NBA TV, Comcast #630. /Box Score (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170701/CHAMIA/hornets/analysis). Hornets leading 69-59 ith 1:46 left in the fourth quarter. Shem not setting the world on fire.

Pacers vs. Magic coming up in a couple of minutes.

Stats showed 7 minutes, 1-1 from the floor and 3 boards...also 3 fouls and 2 turnovers. It also looked (from the stats) to be a guard oriented game.

Jstock12
07-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Apparently, Domas' trade won't be officially completed until after the FA moratorium, which likely means he's not going to play in any of those summer league games.

Can't wait to check out Shem!!! I really hope he makes it to the NBA.

CodeCobalt
07-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Ah, I missed the first half and didn't see him at all... was wondering what was up.

side note, what a pain to watch these games on ESPN! I swear I have like 15 of them but none had the summer league games, then I went on my phone to load the watch espn app and not on there. Finally launched the ESPN app on my firestick and it was there... :-/ Weird.

Karnowski looked too focused on showing everyone he can run the court and trying to guard the perimeter to be effective in anything. Set up some good screen though, even if he got called on one he shouldn't have. Had a pretty good drive to the hoop. Amendola (I know i'm spelling it how it sounds), looked like a tough guy to guard.

Apparently, Domas' trade won't be officially completed until after the FA moratorium, which likely means he's not going to play in any of those summer league games.

Can't wait to check out Shem!!! I really hope he makes it to the NBA.

So will Sabonis not get to participate in any summer league games? That's really unforunate for him, although I'm sure he'll stay in the league.

I see he is on the OKC summer league roster, but that was released before the trade. Wonder if they'll give him minutes since he won't be part of their team and it's not beneficial to OKC.

MDABE80
07-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Anyone know if Shem got some time?

CodeCobalt
07-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Anyone know if Shem got some time?

It's posted above. just under 7 minutes, 1-1 from the floor on a nice drive/lunge to the basket like we're used to. 3 fouls (one on a legal screen, but according to the announcers, it was "because he's huge and NBA refs arn't used to a guy that big setting multiple screens at the arc.") 2 turnovers. Ran up and down the court good, but seemed to be told to play the perimeter... Which on defense and offense just made him look lost. Everytime someone would cut to the rim, Karnowski would follow him to about the foul line, then start going to the arc to guard someone out there.

MDABE80
07-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Zeller, Howard and Kaminski as bigs already there? I doubt Shem will stick. BUT D league or another team perhaps. Thanks for the heads up Cobalt.
Honestly I can't see Shem on the perimeter. We'll see i guess. 2 pts, 3 boards in 7 minutes. Not so bad but I didn't see the quality of play. Doesn't sound good.

MontanaCoyote
07-01-2017, 05:16 PM
After the Hornets last summer league game, what are the "possibles" for Shem?

adoptedzag
07-02-2017, 01:58 PM
It's bad news when the summer league coach has to call a timeout to yank you. PK hasn't had the best two games.

ZagNative
07-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Box score Hornets vs. Pacers (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170702/INDCHA/hornets/analysis)

Ezag
07-02-2017, 04:22 PM
It's bad news when the summer league coach has to call a timeout to yank you. PK hasn't had the best two games.

He's not getting much time to do anything. I am afraid NBA won't be calling for PK

bartruff1
07-02-2017, 05:45 PM
He looked terrific on the local sports news tonight, albeit for a short period of time...

jazzdelmar
07-02-2017, 06:05 PM
He's not getting much time to do anything. I am afraid NBA won't be calling for PK

Should be ok in Europe. NBA was never a possibility.

willandi
07-02-2017, 06:17 PM
It's a tough one for him. The outside game is what the summer league shines at. He made a couple of nice moves, but forced the shot over leaf. Probably still should have made it.

It will just depend on what teams see, and what they are looking for

willandi
07-02-2017, 06:51 PM

Since you obviously are on speaking terms with all the NBA owners and execs, why don't you give them a call and get him a job, unless you don't want him in the NBA?

Zagdawg
07-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Sounds like someone wants to be able to say-- "I told you so".

Big K will be fine wherever he lands -- he is a great member of the Zag family-- just happy he was able to make it back to play the game he loves.

MontanaCoyote
07-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Sounds like someone wants to be able to say-- "I told you so".

Big K will be fine wherever he lands -- he is a great member of the Zag family-- just happy he was able to make it back to play the game he loves.

He's giving it his all, that's for sure. I hope you're right. Pulling for him with all I've got.

ZagNative
07-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Nigel's Jazz scheduled to be on NBA TV (Comcast 630) at 6:00. Fingers crossed...

TexasZagFan
07-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Nigel's Jazz scheduled to be on NBA TV (Comcast 630) at 6:00. Fingers crossed...

Thanks for the heads up. I need some variety as the Rangers are dreadful this year...absolutely dreadful. Fundamentals are so lacking, I wonder why they're paying their coaching staff. No plate discipline (270+ K's in June), pitchers nibble around the edges (too many walks), they run into too many outs.

Mojo13
07-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Re: Kyle Wiltjer.
I actually think he is a free agent now. I believe the Clippers had an option until July 1 to signed him for the 2017/2018 season. He originally signed a partial guaranteed deal with the Rockets last year, where in Year 2 nothing was guaranteed and a Rockets option.

I have not heard a peep from Clipperland about them picking up Wiltjer's Year 2. I can only assume he is a FA and not associated with any NBA team right now. That is why I originally said my guess is he returns to the Rockets on a two-way G league deal - which is still a possibility. I believe he was mere grease to that CP3 trade and the Clippers never wanted him (I could be wrong).

I am also seeing rumors of Baskonia (ACB and Euroleague) negotiating with Wiltjer over the last couple days.

I don't see him on any Summer League roster. Do you?

And I am 95% certain Pangos is going back to Zalgiris in the fall.

kitzbuel
07-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Re: Kyle Wiltjer.
I actually think he is a free agent now. I believe the Clippers had an option until July 1 to signed him for the 2017/2018 season. He originally signed a partial guaranteed deal with the Rockets last year, where in Year 2 nothing was guaranteed and a Rockets option.

I have not heard a peep from Clipperland about them picking up Wiltjer's Year 2. I can only assume he is a FA and not associated with any NBA team right now. That is why I originally said my guess is he returns to the Rockets on a two-way G league deal - which is still a possibility. I believe he was mere grease to that CP3 trade and the Clippers never wanted him (I could be wrong).

I am also seeing rumors of Baskonia (ACB and Euroleague) negotiating with Wiltjer over the last couple days.

I don't see him on any Summer League roster. Do you?

And I am 95% certain Pangos is going back to Zalgiris in the fall.

Killian's bro plays for Baskonia.

Mojo13
07-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Killian's bro plays for Baskonia.

Played.

Kim Tillie just signed with Olympiacos. That may be why they are looking at Wiltjer.

isongd
07-03-2017, 05:47 PM
NWG hurt? Halfway into the 2nd and hasn't played.

ZagNative
07-03-2017, 06:04 PM
NWG hurt? Halfway into the 2nd and hasn't played.The NBA is out to torment Zag fans ....

Ezag
07-03-2017, 06:09 PM
The NBA is out to torment Zag fans ....

Yea no Wilch, No Sabonis, limited PK and so far no Goss.....hmmmm

ZionZag
07-03-2017, 07:47 PM
NWG hurt? Halfway into the 2nd and hasn't played.

Was at the game and he's just fine. Top cheer leader on the bench........I'd heard somewhere that he won't play until Vegas. Dante Exum stole the show and their top 2 choices played a lot (Mitchel from Louisville is goodl). Fultz looked good and Tatum is the real deal in the first game.

ZagNative
07-03-2017, 09:24 PM
From twitter:

Nigel Williams-Goss‏Verified account @NigelWG5

Yes, I will play Wednesday. Sorry to everyone who thought I was playing today. But great win for the squad!!!!

ZagNative
07-03-2017, 09:45 PM
So Shem is up for tomorrow ...

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/577x607q90/r/924/IErg3N.jpg

ZagNative
07-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Shem did not play in today's Hornets vs. OKC game.

willandi
07-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Shem did not play in today's Hornets vs. OKC game.

I hope that isn't indicative of management having lost faith (if they ever had it) in Shem. He is the only center on the team and has to guard stretch fours. He does many things well but that isn't his strong suit. It seems to me (my opinion), that in a game situation, with guards and wings that worked inside out, he would do much better. The summer league is composed of players trying to prove that THEY belong, not as team players, but as shooters.

thebigsmoove
07-05-2017, 09:31 AM
I hope that isn't indicative of management having lost faith (if they ever had it) in Shem. He is the only center on the team and has to guard stretch fours. He does many things well but that isn't his strong suit. It seems to me (my opinion), that in a game situation, with guards and wings that worked inside out, he would do much better. The summer league is composed of players trying to prove that THEY belong, not as team players, but as shooters.

This is what JazzDelmar was stating above, Shem isnt going to get much run in todays NBA. The classic center isnt in high demand in a league where stretch 4s and 5s dominate. It really upsets me, Shem is probably a decade late, but he would have been a force in the 90s or 80s.

Sarenyon
07-05-2017, 11:35 AM
According to his Twitter, Shem is moving from the Hornets to the Magic for the rest of summer league.

ZagNative
07-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Shem with 4 points early in the game. Box Score (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170705/ORLNYK/magic/analysis)

MontanaCoyote
07-05-2017, 01:22 PM
This is what JazzDelmar was stating above, Shem isnt going to get much run in todays NBA. The classic center isnt in high demand in a league where stretch 4s and 5s dominate. It really upsets me, Shem is probably a decade late, but he would have been a force in the 90s or 80s.

Oldster here. Could have been an all star in the 60's!

willandi
07-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Shem with 4 points early in the game. Box Score (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170705/ORLNYK/magic/analysis)

14 and 5 now

bartruff1
07-05-2017, 02:52 PM
I just love that guy, could that be so wrong ?.....so proud of what he was at Gonzaga...... so happy that he has recovered from his back injury to play so well again.....to have 137 career wins and the Jabbar Award are remarkable accomplishments...

Zagdawg
07-05-2017, 03:34 PM
https://twitter.com/gdfactoryclips/status/882733382207188994

adoptedzag
07-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Przemek Karnowski Full Highlights vs Knicks (2017.07.05) Summer League
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=LrK020v-yKA&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTXtC69zK_vs%26feature%3Dshare

Ezag
07-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Przemek Karnowski Full Highlights vs Knicks (2017.07.05) Summer League
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=LrK020v-yKA&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTXtC69zK_vs%26feature%3Dshare

Wow that was pretty impressive display of offense from Karno! Nice to see him get some minutes with Orlando since Charlotte didn't give him hardly anything

kitzbuel
07-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Wow, he looked good.

Zagdawg
07-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Utah and NWG (against Philly ---Fultz) on ESPN3 now.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?bucketId=9&id=3098304

ZagNative
07-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Live Stats Jazz vs. Sixers (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170705/PHIUTA/jazz/analysis)

willandi
07-05-2017, 06:39 PM
I didn't see the first half, stats didn't look good for NWG. The play in the 3rd quarter looked better.

I would have to think that his first game, playing Fultz, the #1 pick, and a player that NWG played against when the Zags beat UW, would have to help the mental part. Of course he belongs, he already beat this guy!

MontanaCoyote
07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
I just love that guy, could that be so wrong ?.....so proud of what he was at Gonzaga...... so happy that he has recovered from his back injury to play so well again.....to have 137 career wins and the Jabbar Award are remarkable accomplishments...

No, it can't be wrong! I'm with you and still in Karno denial.........he's really not gone, he just can't be.

Pulling for him with all I've got. He's earned a shot. I'm praying he gets his chance to shine.

MDABE80
07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
AfterNigel got over his jitters he did very well. Shem was outstanding! Shocked
The announcers! Me too sorta. But then you look at his size and his movement and he's one of those who will fit somewhere.

TexasZagFan
07-06-2017, 04:50 AM
AfterNigel got over his jitters he did very well. Shem was outstanding! Shocked
The announcers! Me too sorta. But then you look at his size and his movement and he's one of those who will fit somewhere.

Agreed...once the smoke clears from free agency, and teams fill out their squads while trying to stay under the luxury tax, Karno (and Wiltjer) will find a home. I didn't realize that the CBA requires teams to pay a minimum team salary of 90% of the cap. That explains to a large degree the head scratching amounts paid to veteran journeymen (JJ Redick - $23 million???)...and why Kelly is going to make 8 digits this year.

Younger players like Karno, Wilt, and Nigel will be an asset to many teams, due to their skills, maturity, and low salaries.

Zagdawg
07-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Karnowski with 20 pts and 9 boards 3 assists and 8/8 from the free throw line but Orlando falls to Charlotte.

willandi
07-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Karnowski with 20 pts and 9 boards 3 assists and 8/8 from the free throw line but Orlando falls to Charlotte.

Curiously, the box has him playing for Charlotte.

The secret lies with Charlotte.

willandi
07-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Agreed...once the smoke clears from free agency, and teams fill out their squads while trying to stay under the luxury tax, Karno (and Wiltjer) will find a home. I didn't realize that the CBA requires teams to pay a minimum team salary of 90% of the cap. That explains to a large degree the head scratching amounts paid to veteran journeymen (JJ Redick - $23 million???)...and why Kelly is going to make 8 digits this year.

Younger players like Karno, Wilt, and Nigel will be an asset to many teams, due to their skills, maturity, and low salaries.

Sadly, Jazz has decreed that Karno will not play in the NBA.

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Wiltjer is already negotiating with a euro team. Karno probably will be as well unfortunately. Nigel i think has a chance in the Utah backcourt. I really wish he would have come back, his draft stock couldnt have really got much worse with another year and 1 year away from a graduate degree. Oh well.

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Highlights from this morning for Karno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wh6wa8K8gI

Kong-Kool-Aid
07-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Wiltjer is already negotiating with a euro team. Karno probably will be as well unfortunately. Nigel i think has a chance in the Utah backcourt. I really wish he would have come back, his draft stock couldnt have really got much worse with another year and 1 year away from a graduate degree. Oh well.

Source on Wiltjer?

MDABE80
07-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Highlights from this morning for Karno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wh6wa8K8gI
SMoooooooooooth thanks for the post. He look a lot better than he did here ( UNC). Good to see.

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Source on Wiltjer?

Just twitter rumblings. We should know more by August 1st when he either needs to be waived or his 1.3 million salary for 2017/18 becomes fully guaranteed:

His 2016/17 contract includes a $275,000 guarantee, HoopsHype has learned. His 2017/18 contract is not guaranteed, but becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by August 1, 2017 or seven days following the last day of the moratorium for the 2017/18 season.

http://hoopshype.com/player/kyle-wiltjer/salary/

ZagNative
07-06-2017, 10:30 AM
That's a nice stat line for Karno: http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/magic/2017_sl_d6g2.pdf

http://i.imgur.com/3wFOeIC.jpg

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 10:35 AM
That's a nice stat line for Karno:

with them waiving Stephen Zimmerman, i wonder if Karno might get a rookie minimum deal with Orlando for a partial guarantee. Similar to what Wiltjer got from the Rockets this year.

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Looks like Zach and Nigel will be facing off in Zachs hometown of Vegas on Saturday at 3pm PST:

http://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/game?gameId=400959175&league=nba-summer-las-vegas

and Jordan will play on Friday at 3pm PST:

http://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/game?gameId=400959168&league=nba-summer-las-vegas

Kevin Pangos on Saturday at 1pm PST:

http://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/game?gameId=400959174&league=nba-summer-las-vegas

TexasZagFan
07-06-2017, 11:17 AM
That's a nice stat line for Karno: http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/magic/2017_sl_d6g2.pdf

http://i.imgur.com/3wFOeIC.jpg

8 for 8 from the FT line? Where did that come from? lol

TexasZagFan
07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
with them waiving Stephen Zimmerman, i wonder if Karno might get a rookie minimum deal with Orlando for a partial guarantee. Similar to what Wiltjer got from the Rockets this year.

The way things are going, quite a few teams will be looking to rookie minimum contracts to keep them out of salary cap hell.

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 11:47 AM
The way things are going, quite a few teams will be looking to rookie minimum contracts to keep them out of salary cap hell.

There is a chance, i certainly hope he sticks somewhere. Hes one of my top 5 favorite Zags.

MontanaCoyote
07-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Let's ask Jazz to pull for Shem making the NBA. Surely he can do that!?

ZagNative
07-06-2017, 12:40 PM
I enjoyed this Jim Meehan story about Shem: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jul/06/karnowski-double-teams-way-to-positive-summer-leag/

It remains to be seen if Karnowski’s last few games lead to a training-camp invitation or a roster spot in the Las Vegas summer league, which opens Friday. He showed his soft touch around the basket, passing ability and basketball IQ by absorbing Orlando’s system in one shootarond.

“We’re right in the middle of that now,” Smith said. “I doubt Las Vegas because they’ve started practicing but you never know after (Thursday’s) game.”

Karnowski certainly impressed Orlando summer league coach Chad Forcier.

“We had to give him a crash course in under an hour’s time (Wednesday morning) in everything we were running,” Forcier said. “He picked it up the very first time and didn’t forget anything. It was amazing.”

Zagdawg
07-06-2017, 12:42 PM
He is putting the work in-- I really hope he finds a spot that works.

“We had to give him a crash course in under an hour’s time (Wednesday morning) in everything we were running,” Forcier said. “He picked it up the very first time and didn’t forget anything. It was amazing.”

maynard g krebs
07-06-2017, 12:46 PM

He had a 3 game stretch last Dec. where he went 11/12, then late in the season had a 9/10 game and a 5/6 game. Has nice form and sometimes gets in a groove where for a brief stretch you'd think he's an 80% shooter, and then it falls apart. I still think it's mental and that with his form and touch, he has the capacity to shoot them like Sacre did, but who knows if that'll ever be a reality.

thebigsmoove
07-06-2017, 01:06 PM
He had a 3 game stretch last Dec. where he went 11/12, then late in the season had a 9/10 game and a 5/6 game. Has nice form and sometimes gets in a groove where for a brief stretch you'd think he's an 80% shooter, and then it falls apart. I still think it's mental and that with his form and touch, he has the capacity to shoot them like Sacre did, but who knows if that'll ever be a reality.

I remember at one point when he was a freshman, one of the announcers was talking about how he was supposedly a quality free throw shooter in Europe. I then remember spending the next few games dumbfounded at how poorly he performed at the line.

basketballzag
07-06-2017, 03:32 PM

I think Jazz said that as it pertained only to the Hornets. Right Jazz---I'm giving you an out.

willandi
07-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Hard to change the meaning.

ZagNative
07-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Live stats for Nigel, Jazz vs. Celtics (http://http://www.nba.com/games/20170706/BOSUTA#/boxscore)

btzag
07-06-2017, 05:32 PM

Don't give a crap about the NBA but Karno is by far the best basketball player on that Magic roster by a mile.

MontanaCoyote
07-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Don't give a crap about the NBA but Karno is by far the best basketball player on that Magic roster by a mile.

He's one smart kid and he's sure played well. Got to be hard being so far from home, so far from Spokane and so far from his Zag buddies. So very proud of him.

Zagdawg
07-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Jake Fitzgibbon‏ @JakeFitzYo Jul 3
More
Former Kings point guard David Stockton will play for the Phoenix Suns in the Las Vegas Summer League. Played with the @NZBreakers last year

thespywhozaggedme
07-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Magic fans gushing about him in their summer league thread:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1591277

soccerdud
07-06-2017, 09:37 PM
i get why you would move this thread, but WHY WOULD YOU MOVE THIS THREAD??? seriously, please put it back.

there've only been a dozen threads with any activity today. they can all be displayed simultaneously on 2/3rds of the front page. it's not like it's preventing discussion (or visibility of discussion) about next year's team or pushing other important things off. this is great to keep an eye on right now without having to watch multiple subforums. please.

eta: moving this to old dogs is the ultimate example of being a pedantic a-hole to the detriment of basically all of the denizens of this forum. trust me, i'm kinda an expert on this subject.

ZagNative
07-06-2017, 10:07 PM
I'm right there with you, soccerdud. Dumb decision to move this thread.

To the Mod who made the brilliant decision to move the thread, please explain your reasoning, or better yet, move the thread back to the main bb forum.

Whatever .... here's a revised table that includes David Stocton's games with the Phoenix Suns:

http://i.imgur.com/IvQsUgV.jpg

MDABE80
07-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Karnowski, Przemek CHA 4 15.8 10.0 16 26 61.5 5.0 1.0 0.80 0.30
10-5 with 61.5% shooting over 4 games. He looked better as the games went on. He's got a chance. Likely though, D league and see how he develops.

Likewise I'm a bit puzzled by moving the thread. Among the more interesting this Summer.

Nigel tonight payed for 11 mins but had a 0-0 stat like but had 2 steals. Given how Mitchell and Exum looked, I suspect he's in trouble.

Let's hope both show up BIG in Vegas. Collins?

ZagNative
07-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Ive been curious to see if Kyle would be playing for the Clippers in Summer league. The answer is "yes." http://www.nba.com/clippers/press-release-la-clippers-announce-mgm-resorts-nba-summer-league-roster-schedule#

thebigsmoove
07-07-2017, 04:15 AM
Ive been curious to see if Kyle would be playing for the Clippers in Summer league. The answer is "yes." http://www.nba.com/clippers/press-release-la-clippers-announce-mgm-resorts-nba-summer-league-roster-schedule#

This is exciting. Hopeful he can really shine.

bartruff1
07-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Thanks ZN.....and yes, this is exciting....like watching your kids compete ....hoping for the best and concerned that they won't be injured...

for me, this is a whole new aspect for a Gonzaga Basketball Fan.... thanks again ZagNative...

MontanaCoyote
07-07-2017, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme;1324834]Magic fans gushing about him in their summer league thread:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1591277[/QUOTE

They sure are! Great to see others appreciate him the way we did. I don't know about the losing 30 pounds post. What do you guys think? Would that help him get even better or is he best in the current version?

Mojo13
07-07-2017, 08:20 AM

Yes...this is great to see.
I've been quite confused to the actual status of Wiltjer with the Clippers. Being whether he is a free agent, restricted free agent or the clips exercised the 2nd year of a guaranteed or partially guaranteed deal.

I am leaning that it wasn't exercised (I didnt hear a thing about it, live in LA and have been combing the interwebs and twitter) and he is now some sort of free agent playing for a camp invite and contract.

Anyone know anything more?

The Clips aint too deep at PF so he has a chancing of sticking with them.

ZagNative
07-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Jordan's first summer league game coming up in about 12 minutes. Live on NBA TV, live stats should be here: http://www.nba.com/pelicans/summerleague17.

Should also be available to view online at ESPN3: http://www.espn.com/watch/

ZagNative
07-07-2017, 01:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEKWQD4XgAElb4L.jpg

MontanaCoyote
07-07-2017, 05:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEKWQD4XgAElb4L.jpg

Looks PDGood! Am I wrong?

Jstock12
07-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Attaboy Shem :) I think if he was 10-15lbs lighter he'd be even better and would be guaranteed to make the roster of some team. It would also put less strain on his back. I'm salivating just at the thought of a mobile 260lbs version of Shem.

bartruff1
07-08-2017, 05:39 AM
Attaboy Shem :) I think if he was 10-15lbs lighter he'd be even better and would be guaranteed to make the roster of some team. It would also put less strain on his back. I'm salivating just at the thought of a mobile 260lbs version of Shem.

I am certainly no expert and I am sure Gonzaga and those interested professional teams have the experts....but I have always wondered how he would play at 50 pounds less....I know when I take off 15 or 20 pounds it really helps my back and my stamina and flexibility with no apparent loss of strength...

MontanaCoyote
07-08-2017, 05:49 AM

If you are right about a weight loss being a big plus for Shem, here's hoping a NBA team ( or two or three) agree, sign him and let him play his weight down to whatever they think it should be.

One thing's for sure; You know he would get it done. Just give Shem the chance. He's faced much more demanding challenges. Comparatively, this one's a piece of cake......Oooops....better make that a stalk of celery!

Jstock12
07-08-2017, 06:29 AM
I am certainly no expert and I am sure Gonzaga and those interested professional teams have the experts....but I have always wondered how he would play at 50 pounds less....I know when I take off 15 or 20 pounds it really helps my back and my stamina and flexibility with no apparent loss of strength...

I think Shem wouldn't even need to lose much muscle mass. Just get that body fat percentage down.

Kong-Kool-Aid
07-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Wiltjer only gets 8 minutes for the Clippers and Jordan didn't get on the court for New Orleans. Disappointing.... both events.

MontanaCoyote
07-08-2017, 09:04 AM
I think Shem wouldn't even need to lose much muscle mass. Just get that body fat percentage down.

Was thinking along those lines. His size matters, especially on D. Remember the line that it takes cab fare to get around him? Maybe just a little lower fare will do it!

MDABE80
07-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Pangos ( Wizards) look so much better with speed, passing and defense but Wiz is a terrible team. Pangos has not taken one shot with 4 min left in the 1st quarter.

bartruff1
07-08-2017, 12:33 PM
PJ sez he knows how to play and thinks he has a shot to be a third guard....I hope so...

ZagNative
07-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Box Score Wizards vs Grizzlies (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170708/WASMEM/wizards/analysis)

Edited to add: Grizzlies win it 91-88.

Kevin had a nice game, with 8 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists and a single turnover.

MDABE80
07-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Importantly too ZN, he ran that team and did an NBA PG performance. Maybe he'll get his chance this year. Just so solid in all phases.

ZagNative
07-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Portland vs. Utah just starting. Live Stats (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170708/PORUTA/blazers/analysis)

Spokaneer
07-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Solid game for Kevin. Seemed to make the correct play all day. He would've had double digit assists if the Wizards could finish better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
07-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Both Nigel and Z Collins on the floor. nice to see. Announcers really speak highly of Gonzaga's program..

CodeCobalt
07-08-2017, 02:44 PM
grr ESPN. Every game today with zags in it is on ESPNU, the one I don't get. Collins looks like he's doing alright, albeit early foul trouble.

They even had the UW GU game earlier on ESPNU.

CodeCobalt
07-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Haha, Nigel just helped stop Zach when he went under the rim.

Zach started off the half pretty lively, but hasn't done much the last 15 minute.

Nigel hasn't really gotten the ball in scoring position. He brings the ball up, passes it, gets open and instead of passing to him a defended shooter puts up a rimshot every time. His stats don't reflect his game.

CodeCobalt
07-08-2017, 03:34 PM
There was a nice bio on Zach Collins at half time. He was asked how often he's blocked and he said "Honestly, probably never." Then proceeded to shoot with three USC volleyball players trying to block his shot and nailed it everytime.

Then half time ends. Bradley of UNC blocks his shot pretty hard. :-/

ZagNative
07-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Jordan Mathews Pelicans vs the Atlanta Hawks coming up in a minute on NBA TV. Live Stats here. (http://www.nba.com/gametracker/#/20170709/ATLNOP/pelicans/analysis)

Here's hoping Jordan gets some playing time and has a good game today!

Edited to add: No sign of Jordan yet. Drat!

Also edited to add: I like this live stats set up better (but still no Jordan in the game!) http://www.nba.com/games/20170709/ATLNOP#/boxscore

ZagNative
07-09-2017, 12:57 PM
David Stockton's Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks on now. Live Stats here. (http://www.nba.com/games/20170709/PHXDAL#/boxscore)

ZagNative
07-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Coming up later today:

Nigel's Utah Jazz vs Wiltjer's Clippers at 5:00 pm on NBA TV.

Zach Collins Portland vs. Boston at 5:30 on ESPN 2.

Stats for both games should be available in the left-hand column of this page: http://www.nba.com/games/20170709/UTALAC#/video

ZagNative
07-09-2017, 05:54 PM
What the hell is going on with Wiltjer? 1 of 7 shooting for 2 points in 13 minutes?

And Collins ain't setting the world on fire either, with 5 points in 21 minutes...

Nigel's only got 4 points, but he has 8 assists.

CodeCobalt
07-09-2017, 08:59 PM
They all looked pretty bad today minus Nigel, and he just looked okay.

Mojo13
07-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Wiltjer look awful so far. Makes me worried so far for him even getting a D-league two way deal. Hopefully he snaps out of it.

Pangos looking excellent - I wonder what the interest level is in him with NBA teams? He can easily be a 3rd string PG on a number of teams in the NBA. I wonder if that is what he wants this year - or if it is even possbile. He looks to be the lead guard for Zalgiris this year and is under contract. Another year as a lead guard in the Euroleague would be better for him long term than the 14th man on an NBA roster.

ZagNative
07-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Today's games (Monday)

1:30 PM Pangos Wizards vs. Heat, NBA TV

3:00 Mathews Pelicans vs. Brooklyn, ESPNU

3:30 Stockton Phoenix vs. Rockets, NBA TV

7:00 Wiltjer Clippers vs. Bucks, ESPN 2

Stats for all games should be here: http://www.nba.com/games/20170709/UTALAC#/video

RenoZag
07-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the listings, ZN.

ZagNative
07-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Kevin's starting. That's good to see ..

BOX SCORE (http://www.nba.com/games/20170710/MIAWAS#/boxscore)

Jstock12
07-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Kevin's starting. That's good to see ..

BOX SCORE (http://www.nba.com/games/20170710/MIAWAS#/boxscore)

I hope you're getting paid for the work you're doing here! ;)

webspinnre
07-10-2017, 04:49 PM
ZN is highly compensated.

ZagNative
07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
A minute and a half until half time, and Kyle hasn't entered the game yet. Hooboy, Kyle .... Box Score (http://www.nba.com/games/20170710/LACMIL#/boxscore)

Hoopaholic
07-10-2017, 07:38 PM
A minute and a half until half time, and Kyle hasn't entered the game yet. Hooboy, Kyle .... Box Score (http://www.nba.com/games/20170710/LACMIL#/boxscore)

Not good when GM spends 5 minutes talking about players picked up and no mention of Kyle. Ouch

Bogozags
07-11-2017, 02:47 AM
Not good when GM spends 5 minutes talking about players picked up and no mention of Kyle. Ouch

Hoop that could be a good thing, because they might already consider him as part of the roster and then again, they plan on releasing him altogether which makes him a FA...I think he winds up back at Houston or at the very least gets invites to attend several team camps for a look see.

I say this because you can't "coach" his offensive skill set nor his creativity, which gives his opponents fits. I just believe he is a very unique player just like Reddick. Red Dick is no "day at the beach" defensive player but he is adequate and I believe Kyle will also become an adequate defensive player...IMO

ZagNative
07-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Three games today:

1:00 Collins' Portland vs Spurs, NBA TV

1:30 Nigel's Jazz vs. Grizzlies, ESPNU

3:00 Pangos' Wizards vs. Bulls, NBA TV

Live Stats should be here: http://www.nba.com/games/20170709/UTALAC#/video

ZagNative
07-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Portland - Spurs box score today (http://www.nba.com/games/20170711/SASPOR#/boxscore)

Nigel's Jazz vs. Grizzlies Box Score today (http://www.nba.com/games/20170711/UTAMEM#/boxscore)

Ezag
07-11-2017, 02:49 PM
What the hell is going on with Wiltjer? 1 of 7 shooting for 2 points in 13 minutes?

And Collins ain't setting the world on fire either, with 5 points in 21 minutes...

Nigel's only got 4 points, but he has 8 assists.

Other than Shem, almost all the other Zags in summer league have not been good

ZagNative
07-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Well, if you're still up for trying o see some Zags in Summer League, here are some Las Vegas tournament games on deck today:

1:00 PM Jordan Mathews New Orleans vs. Atlanta, NBA TV

3:00 Kevin Pangos Washington Wizards vs. Miami, NBA TV

5:00 Nigel's Utah vs. Stockton's Phoenix, NBA TV

7:00 Zach Collins Portland vs. Chicago, NBA TV

Live stats will be here: http://www.nba.com/games/20170709/UTALAC#/video

Zach apparently sustained a minor injury in the last game and so may not be playing.

ZagNative
07-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Jordan Mathews New Orleons vs. Atlanta, DNP

Kevin's Washington vs. Miami, on now on NBA TV, with 1:00 left in the first, Washington leading 26-20, Kev with 5 points in 6 minutes. Box Score (http://www.nba.com/games/20170712/WASMIA#/boxscore)

bartruff1
07-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Cunningham doesn't get shorted on his attempts ......if you are used to Few Ball, this stuff is hard to watch....but Kevin still playing team ball...

ZagNative
07-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Nigel's Jazz vs. Stockton's Phoenix on NBA TV now. Box Score (http://www.nba.com/games/20170712/UTAPHX#/boxscore)

sittingon50
07-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Thanks Native.