PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards to transfer to Portland State U.

demian
06-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Ryan Edwards to transfer to Portland State U. Good for Ryan. Big Sky Conference is a good Conference. Best of luck to him

Coach Crazy
06-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Good choice. Hope he ends on a successful note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sittingon50
06-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Good Luck Ryan.

bartruff1
06-25-2017, 10:48 PM
This is very good news....I am so happy he is going to have a fresh start...

Zagdawg
06-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Best of luck in the next steps Ryan!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
06-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Sooooo, are we going to talk about how he was leaving to "join the workforce"?

Or how we have scholarships to burn, and our top need is a big body to take some fouls and try and clog the lane?

Or how the coaching staff said he'd have minutes this year if he stayed?

Seems like keeping him would have been close to the equivalent of getting a guy like Kameron Rooks.

Now, if one of the euro bigs comes over, I'm sure his minutes would return to zero, but if not, this seems odd.

The optimist in me says this is a sign that a euro will still join even though it's almost July.

The pessimist in me wonders why everyone else is just saying "cool!" instead of pointing out this isn't what we thought Ryan's next move was.

bartruff1
06-26-2017, 08:06 AM
BS....Ryan has the right to pursue his own self interest and to change his mind in that pursuit .....

Zagdawg
06-26-2017, 08:10 AM
If you are looking for a job -- Portland is a not a bad place to do it-- get tuition/room/board covered -- play a little hoops and go on a job search. Good number of radio/TV broadcasting options -- plus he can hang out with Collins and Wiltjer when they are in town.

TexasZagFan
06-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Or how we have scholarships to burn, and our top need is a big body to take some fouls and try and clog the lane?

Seems like keeping him would have been close to the equivalent of getting a guy like Kameron Rooks.

Now, if one of the euro bigs comes over, I'm sure his minutes would return to zero, but if not, this seems odd.

The optimist in me says this is a sign that a euro will still join even though it's almost July.

The pessimist in me wonders why everyone else is just saying "cool!" instead of pointing out this isn't what we thought Ryan's next move was.

IMO, Ryan's minutes next year were going to be limited, even without adding another Euro big or grad transfer. I'm getting the sense we'll be playing small ball next year, thanks to the depth at guard and small forward. If we get into foul trouble at the 4/5, I could see Rui playing the five with four guards on the court.

I'm very excited about our prospects for next year, it's going to be one heckuva journey.

hooter73
06-26-2017, 09:34 AM
When Andy Poling transferred to Seattle U and they played Eastern in Cheney, half the Zag team was in the stands cheering him on. I would put decent money on seeing the same thing happen in this case. Good Luck Ryan.

GrizZAG
06-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Personally I think Ryan was underutilized and had skills, he just didn't get enough run time. I think we wiffed on losing him. Classy kid that made us Montanan's proud. Best of luck to him, I expect we will be surprised how well he does.

seacatfan
06-26-2017, 10:37 AM
When Andy Poling transferred to Seattle U and they played Eastern in Cheney, half the Zag team was in the stands cheering him on. I would put decent money on seeing the same thing happen in this case. Good Luck Ryan.

Pretty sure Poling transferred to Seattle Pacific.

former1dog
06-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Personally I think Ryan was underutilized and had skills, he just didn't get enough run time. I think we wiffed on losing him. Classy kid that made us Montanan's proud. Best of luck to him, I expect we will be surprised how well he does.

I respectfully disagree. I'm also a Montanan and while Ryan gave use plenty of reasons to be proud, his performance as a basketball player wouldn't be my top choice. It was very clear that Ryan had the skills and of course the size to be a success, but his fitness was very clearly going in the wrong direction and that is what limited his opportunities on the court. In my opinion, of course.

johno
06-26-2017, 11:03 AM

I wondered about this too. From what I read, I though his collegiate basketball days were over. Perhaps it means that another Big is coming. Anyway, good luck Ryan!

jbslicer
06-26-2017, 11:50 AM
I respectfully disagree. I'm also a Montanan and while Ryan gave use plenty of reasons to be proud, his performance as a basketball player wouldn't be my top choice. It was very clear that Ryan had the skills and of course the size to be a success, but his fitness was very clearly going in the wrong direction and that is what limited his opportunities on the court. In my opinion, of course.
Edwards was about 40lbs overweight.

maynard g krebs
06-26-2017, 11:51 AM

So the kid changed his mind. We all have that right. No big deal. After years of riding the pine, why not go somewhere you can play a lot v being bench insurance against a rash of injuries.

As a former hs jv benchwarmer who "blossomed" into an intramural allstar, I totally get Ryan's choice and wish him nothing but the best. Playing in games>practicing.

TexasZagFan
06-26-2017, 12:39 PM
So the kid changed his mind. We all have that right. No big deal. After years of riding the pine, why not go somewhere you can play a lot v being bench insurance against a rash of injuries.

As a former hs jv benchwarmer who "blossomed" into an intramural allstar, I totally get Ryan's choice and wish him nothing but the best. Playing in games>practicing.

My kids have benefited from our middle schools and high school having multiple teams. They dug the opportunity to play in actual games, versus riding the pine. The local HS has two frosh and two JV teams in football and basketball. Middle schools (all 3) had A, B, and C teams for FB and BB. That's why 80+ boys tried out for freshman basketball.

In Ryan's case, what school wouldn't love to have him, playing on a regional power, practicing daily against top talent, being in a culture that stresses academics, etc.?

mgadfly
06-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Edwards was about 40lbs overweight.

I'd agree he was this last year, but he was in a lot better shape to start his sophomore season. It was Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Edwards. Every indication was that Edwards was in shape and ready to roll. He certainly looked in better shape than he did this past season. Karno went down with an injury and he still didn't see hardly any action.

I don't think any level of conditioning was going to displace Karno, W3, and Collins. And Tillie would be a big stretch too. If you bust your rear, get in shape, end up 1 of 3 big guys on the roster, and still the staff doesn't believe you are good enough to get minutes, what would make any sane human being think they would get more minutes with the team bringing in W3, a McDonald's All-American, and two highly touted bigs from Europe?

I don't think his conditioning had anything to do with his minutes. He is a very good player but nothing was going to make him better than Collins (who was our 3rd big).

TheOtherGreatOne
06-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Best of luck big guy. I hope you dominate the Big Sky.

adoptedzag
06-26-2017, 02:04 PM
I'd agree he was this last year, but he was in a lot better shape to start his sophomore season. It was Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Edwards. Every indication was that Edwards was in shape and ready to roll. He certainly looked in better shape than he did this past season. Karno went down with an injury and he still didn't see hardly any action.

I don't think any level of conditioning was going to displace Karno, W3, and Collins. And Tillie would be a big stretch too. If you bust your rear, get in shape, end up 1 of 3 big guys on the roster, and still the staff doesn't believe you are good enough to get minutes, what would make any sane human being think they would get more minutes with the team bringing in W3, a McDonald's All-American, and two highly touted bigs from Europe?

I don't think his conditioning had anything to do with his minutes. He is a very good player but nothing was going to make him better than Collins (who was our 3rd big).

Conditioning has everything to do with his minutes. Conditioning is hard. Doing the hard things earns you minutes. \_(ツ)_/ Showing up to school 40lbs overweight means that you didn't do the work required to be in shape and ready to go. Skills aside, he has a very good arsenal of post moves, but so does every other post-up player on GU's roster or being recruited by GU. Doing the hard things seperates him from the pack. He wasn't willing, so...

Don't get me wrong. i wanted this kid to succeed. I wanted him to be a "come from nowhere to a pro prospect" story that we could all hang our hats on. But there's wanting and there's working.

ZenZag
06-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Conditioning has everything to do with his minutes. Conditioning is hard. Doing the hard things earns you minutes. \_(ツ)_/ Showing up to school 40lbs overweight means that you didn't do the work required to be in shape and ready to go.....But there's wanting and there's working.

This makes it sound like the young man had moral flaws....i.e. he was lazy. None of us can know that. How much does genetics play into weight issues? For him, perhaps he has to work twice as hard as another big guy in order to keep weight off. I just hate to see moral judgements made against these guys....from everything I heard he was a great young man. No need to imply he was lazy.

mgadfly
06-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Conditioning has everything to do with his minutes. Conditioning is hard. Doing the hard things earns you minutes. \_(ツ)_/ Showing up to school 40lbs overweight means that you didn't do the work required to be in shape and ready to go. Skills aside, he has a very good arsenal of post moves, but so does every other post-up player on GU's roster or being recruited by GU. Doing the hard things seperates him from the pack. He wasn't willing, so...

Don't get me wrong. i wanted this kid to succeed. I wanted him to be a "come from nowhere to a pro prospect" story that we could all hang our hats on. But there's wanting and there's working.

I don't think you are giving him nearly enough credit for doing the hard things prior to his sophomore season. He did what was asked of him, came into the season in good shape, and just wasn't good enough to displace Wiltjer or Sabonis.

Maybe this is chicken and the egg, but I think after getting shut out that year, there really wasn't any reasonable chance he was earning minutes no matter how many hard things he did. For example, if Rem would have only done more hard things, he would have been a starter. That's just not true and we all know it. Rem wasn't ever going to be better than the guys in front of him no matter how many hard things he did. And it was the same conclusion Edwards appears to have drawn when he was in pretty good shape two seasons ago, was literally the only option they had off the bench, but decided to play not super well conditioned Wiltjer every minute possible.

adoptedzag
06-26-2017, 02:36 PM
I don't think you are giving him nearly enough credit for doing the hard things prior to his sophomore season. He did what was asked of him, came into the season in good shape, and just wasn't good enough to displace Wiltjer or Sabonis.

Maybe this is chicken and the egg, but I think after getting shut out that year, there really wasn't any reasonable chance he was earning minutes no matter how many hard things he did. For example, if Rem would have only done more hard things, he would have been a starter. That's just not true and we all know it. Rem wasn't ever going to be better than the guys in front of him no matter how many hard things he did. And it was the same conclusion Edwards appears to have drawn when he was in pretty good shape two seasons ago, was literally the only option they had off the bench, but decided to play not super well conditioned Wiltjer every minute possible.

So, kids are supposed to pack it in at the first sign of adversity? Yes, he wasn't going to displace Wiltjer, because Wiltjer has god given gifts that allow for a coach to overlook a slightly unathletic stretch 4 who worked his butt off on his conditioning to improve himself. Again, don't get me wrong, I love Ryan, I think he was a good player, but if that competitive fire isn't there to work so hard that the coach has no choice but to start you, then it is what it is. He was always going to be a 4-5 year player. Not a one/two and done.

This makes it sound like the young man had moral flaws....i.e. he was lazy. None of us can know that. How much does genetics play into weight issues? For him, perhaps he has to work twice as hard as another big guy in order to keep weight off. I just hate to see moral judgements made against these guys....from everything I heard he was a great young man. No need to imply he was lazy.

I wouldn't necessarily say lazy, but that competitive fire that drives these alpha types to be the best regardless of the situation. It's a between-the-ears thing. Genetics aside, you can be heavy but still be in great shape, an example was standing next to him with a giant beard.

seacatfan
06-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Good luck to the big fella. I always thought he had potential, but after barely getting minutes after Karno went down injured, I think the writing was on the wall that Edwards was never going to be a big part of the rotation at GU.

bartruff1
06-26-2017, 03:08 PM
His APBR is off the charts and his GmSc is to die for ....best wishes....go get um..... hope you are doing Zag games in the future..

zag67
06-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Congrats Ryan. Good luck and hope you have a GREAT season.

MDABE80
06-26-2017, 03:15 PM
He's a very nice kid, well raised and cordial. I'm thinking he's worked too hard to just walk away. I hope he does well in his new adventure. H'es had years to improve. I think he just was left behind when Karno and the others showed up and did so well. I thought he might get some minutes in the upcoming year. He probably will at PDX St.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Will his team be in GU's bracket for the PK80?

amaronizag
06-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Portland State and GU are in the same (Motion) bracket. On Thanksgiving Day, Portland St plays Duke in the morning session, GU plays Ohio St in the evening session. I doubt Portland St will beat Duke. If Portland St and GU both win, they could meet in the Championship on Sunday. If one of both lose before Sunday, they could still play in a consolation bracket.

Vanzagger
06-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Good for him. I'll try and catch him at Reese

Coach Crazy
06-26-2017, 05:02 PM
If he wants to play one more year? Good. He might as well. He didn't pan out the way I wanted him to, but that happens. He's going to have played a level of basketball that many do not. He will be able to transition into a career the way many do not. He's been a part of top level post season play. Many never do.

There is a chance he didn't embrace the opportunity to stay fit and improve the way he could have. But it doesn't matter, at this point.

He just needs to stay focused on the road ahead and enjoy the ride he's had, thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sylean
06-26-2017, 08:56 PM
congrats to Ryan...don't blame him...however, we really needed him this year...

RenoZag
06-26-2017, 09:14 PM
A reliable source tells me it was an "out of the blue" approach by PSU to Ryan that became an earnest courtship. I wish him well and hope we see and hear good things during his last year of eligibility. He's had to bang against some pretty good competition in practices for a long time. Maybe that experience will translate to success in the Big Sky.

thebigsmoove
06-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Im proud to have called Ryan a Zag. He was the consummate teammate even when he wasnt getting the PT that he might have preferred. His 3 years at Gonzaga will make him always a Zag in most of our eyes, Hope he can find a role with the Vikings and continue to grow into the wonderful Man that we all know he is capable of being. We love you Ryan!

bartruff1
06-27-2017, 05:37 AM
Im proud to have called Ryan a Zag. He was the consummate teammate even when he wasnt getting the PT that he might have preferred. His 3 years at Gonzaga will make him always a Zag in most of our eyes, Hope he can find a role with the Vikings and continue to grow into the wonderful Man that we all know he is capable of being. We love you Ryan!

I wish I had written that....I will add that Keegan had a very good career in Division 2 and graduated with honors in both basketball and as a student, who went on to get a Masters in Finance (I think)...a great young man from a fine family....

sittingon50
06-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Ryan will be playing for Barret Peery, the new Coach @ PSU. He was an Asst. for Herb Sendek at SCU last year.

75Zag
06-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Good luck to Ryan. The PSU web site is featuring Ryan's recruitment as a major milestone for PSU. I will stop by to check out a few Portland State games.

Go Bulldogs!