PDA

View Full Version : Matt VanKomen offered ( Updated )

MDABE80
06-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Few and staff offered Matt last night.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDDT6CWV0AAw7oc?format=jpg

Yikes! At camp no less. Good scoop I think ZagsGuru! Surprise me. Nothing about him accepting.

Kiddwell
06-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Kiddwell likes footers! Different body type, but wonder how his talent level compares to footers Sacre and Karnowski at same age. Talent level.

:adored:

:]

doctorzag
06-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Few and staff offered Matt last night.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDDT6CWV0AAw7oc?format=jpg

Yikes! At camp no less. Good scoop I think ZagsGuru! Surprise me. Nothing about him accepting.

This was already covered yesterday in the 2019 thread.

GoZags
06-25-2017, 04:57 AM
My apologies. I thought the staff was evaluating him. NUKE the thread mods. In between Hoopfest activities all day, I overlooked the essentials. The sory just showed up on facebook.

Nothing wrong with this thread, Doc as it DOES have news. Sure, the news was "out" for those following the long '19 thread ... but it IS news and not every boardmember would have known about this kid (let alone his new offer from Gonzaga). So ... thanks.

WallaWallaZag
06-26-2017, 06:49 AM
...besides, if a guy is offered he deserves to have his own thread...and some of those long recruiting threads have turned into hell in a hand basket or whatever the saying is anyways.

CDC84
06-26-2017, 08:11 AM
As Mark Few always says with kids like Matt Van Komen, it's all about how much do they really want it. Does this kid REALLY love basketball, or did some guy grab him in class and say, "Hey, you're a tall dude, you can play basketball and be a hit with the chicks." If he loves the game and has a desperate desire to improve, he has a chance to be great, because most kids his size don't care once they realize the game isn't as easy as it was in high school. You just cannot teach size like that, but the kid needs to love the game. It's quite possible that the staff discovered an uncommon work ethic in this kid.

cggonzaga
06-26-2017, 08:54 AM
This is certainly the feeling I got about Matt at team camp last week. He was physical and didn't shy away from competition. I really liked his makeup. Also, a better athlete than I thought going into it. I know I only saw him a couple games but came away very impressed.

titopoet
06-26-2017, 11:09 AM
As Mark Few always says with kids like Matt Van Komen, it's all about how much do they really want it. Does this kid REALLY love basketball, or did some guy grab him in class and say, "Hey, you're a tall dude, you can play basketball and be a hit with the chicks." If he loves the game and has a desperate desire to improve, he has a chance to be great, because most kids his size don't care once they realize the game isn't as easy as it was in high school. You just cannot teach size like that, but the kid needs to love the game. It's quite possible that the staff discovered an uncommon work ethic in this kid.

Both his parents we college BB players, so my guess is that he has a understanding of what it take to play at a high level.

TheOtherGreatOne
06-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Come on down Matt. Look at what the staff did with Olynick and Karnowski. If you are serious about your basketball and willing to do the work, this staff will help you develop into the best you can be. At 7'6'' or whatever you are when you get here that could make you into a super star.

DixieZag
06-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Both his parents we college BB players, so my guess is that he has a understanding of what it take to play at a high level.

I have it on extremely good authority, one MBB member step from Mark Few's mouth, that the "comes from a basketball family" is a guiding theme in recruiting.

Whether it started with Pargo, or Olynick, Pangos, whatever, continues to Sabonis/Wiltjer, this becomes one of the very core things they look for, precisely because of what you said - knowing what "this level" takes well ahead of time brings huge benefits.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Is anyone else kinda surprised that he didn't accept on the spot like Watson and Ravet? Maybe MVK is holding out for a Pac offer.

DixieZag
06-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Given his size and coordiation so young, I'd bet he's waiting for a high major. P 12 might be what he wants. Utah's in the Pac so probably thats it. Close to home and such.

What is his size? I saw the reference to 7'6 or something like that and couldn't decide if that was a joke or serious. Can you share, or know?

BTW- I think irrespective of each '18, '19 thread, each player that gets serious consideration (offer), is just fine to have own thread, thank you.

Coach Crazy
06-26-2017, 03:42 PM
What is his size? I saw the reference to 7'6 or something like that and couldn't decide if that was a joke or serious. Can you share, or know?

BTW- I think irrespective of each '18, '19 thread, each player that gets serious consideration (offer), is just fine to have own thread, thank you.

Agreed. Probably better to keep discussions on track too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
06-26-2017, 05:05 PM

He's legit 7'3" maybe 7'4".

DixieZag
06-26-2017, 06:36 PM
He's legit 7'3" maybe 7'4".

Wow.

Well, as noted above, you can't teach the 6'10 guy to play 7'3 or 4. We sure have seen the advantage to the disruption such a guy can make defensively.

If he can move his feet, be in the proper place on offense, maybe hit an occasional FT - there's some stuff to really want in there.

Coach Crazy
06-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Wow.

Well, as noted above, you can't teach the 6'10 guy to play 7'3 or 4. We sure have seen the advantage to the disruption such a guy can make defensively.

If he can move his feet, be in the proper place on offense, maybe hit an occasional FT - there's some stuff to really want in there.

Watch his tape from Freshman year to Sophomore year. I think there's a shot he can get the footwork down.

You're not likely to get the post entry as deep with a kid like that...but with his length? I mean...as long as he isn't getting dislodged, I don't know that he's gonna get a shot blocked all too often. A nice turn around and hook. Kid could be solid producer.

ZagNative
02-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Reported on the 2019 recruits thread that he's coming for an unofficial visit this weekend during the BYU game. Since he's already been on campus for basketball camp last summer, does this visit look more like there will be an announcement that he's decided to accept the offer? We've got just one open slot on the roster for 2019 arrivals ...

https://i.imgur.com/LTFGMY2.jpg

ZagNative
02-02-2018, 10:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOCWTGVv-Xs

Kiddwell
02-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Wow. This game is already gigantic for NCAA Dance reasons (not to mention revenge). Now it's gigantic for recruiting too. GU vs. BYU in two ways.

:boxing:

:]

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2018, 05:56 AM
Reported on the 2019 recruits thread that he's coming for an unofficial visit this weekend during the BYU game. Since he's already been on campus for basketball camp last summer, does this visit look more like there will be an announcement that he's decided to accept the offer? We've got just one open slot on the roster for 2019 arrivals ...

Well technically, you are correct that we only have one spot available for 2019, I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks that Rui and Tillie will still be there by then. I really want the kid out of Dallas, Timmie.

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2018, 05:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOCWTGVv-Xs

Ha, he looks like a praying mantis out there.

caldwellzag
02-03-2018, 07:09 AM
I see Van Komen as a red-shirt candidate for sure, he needs to put on some weight and strength, but you can't teach his height. Personally, I would hold that spot for Johnson (out of Utah also). I believe Van Komen did say he would not go on his mission, so that is a plus where Johnson maybe heading towards a mission. 2019 is looking like a great class already, add that to a good 2018 class (I like Foster more than most I am sure), and Harris already headlining a 2020 class the future is looking bright in Spokane!

Zagdawg
02-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Interview after his last visit

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/2019-Recruit-Matthew-Van-Komen-Earned-An-Offer-From-Gonzaga-This-Summer-107618590

caldwellzag
02-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Interview after his last visit

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/2019-Recruit-Matthew-Van-Komen-Earned-An-Offer-From-Gonzaga-This-Summer-107618590

Thanks for posting that, that was the article that I had read about the mission, but couldn't remember which recruit it was that said that.

JAGzag
02-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Seems like a Will Foster clone, maybe with a little more athletic ability.

willandi
02-03-2018, 08:39 AM

The video shows that he can put the ball in the hoop and is a strong inside presence, albeit against shorter HS opponents.

VanKomen looks a lot like a taller Collins. He needs to grow into his body a bit, still a little awkward running, but that will happen as he gets older. He would be a great center for Gonzaga. Let's hope he commits tonight!

I was a fan of Foster's and feel he kind of got short shrift with the Zags. The intention was for him to RS and be developed, but others injuries etc wouldn't allow it, so he was kept active as the non-playing back up...just in case. He wasn't real happy the way it went.

GonzaGAW
02-03-2018, 08:46 AM

in 2018-19 would not Larsen and norvell be sophmores with kispert and wade? the red shirted last year.
likewise should not ayayi be grouped with the incoming freshmen, foster and petrusev?

never mind I see that they are, the colors threw me off.

bdmiller7
02-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Don't have to hold a scholarship for Johnson if he's going on a mission, he won't count against the scholarship count until 2021. Would love to get Van Komen and Johnson.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Don't have to hold a scholarship for Johnson if he's going on a mission, he won't count against the scholarship count until 2021. Would love to get Van Komen and Johnson.

I’ll see Drew Timme in action next Friday. Based on the year he’s having, I sure hope there will be a scholarship for him.

BavarianZag
02-03-2018, 02:47 PM

He is indeed on campus for an unofficial.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180203/461cb1cfdfdbf791e3abb07f800b2694.jpeg

BavarianZag
02-03-2018, 02:59 PM
I see Van Komen as a red-shirt candidate for sure, he needs to put on some weight and strength, but you can't teach his height. Personally, I would hold that spot for Johnson (out of Utah also). I believe Van Komen did say he would not go on his mission, so that is a plus where Johnson maybe heading towards a mission. 2019 is looking like a great class already, add that to a good 2018 class (I like Foster more than most I am sure), and Harris already headlining a 2020 class the future is looking bright in Spokane!

Van Komen put up 20 (including 6for6 from the line) vs. Johnsonís team last night. They won by 18.

Here is one of his 6 dunks in the game (over I. Johnson)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180203/7d4d2f32f7a87004956d522bf41835e2.jpg

I think Van Komen needs work, but he has a ton of upside. I think more so than Isaac. I also know his family and he is looking for a place to put in that work. High character kid that will continue to get better.

cggonzaga
02-03-2018, 03:00 PM

No offense to Foster but VanKommen is much better. Saw him play a couple times this summer. The potential is high but he needs to put some weight on. He’s a top 100 4 star guy.

MickMick
02-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Loving this offer.

Coach Crazy
02-03-2018, 05:59 PM
No offense to Foster but VanKommen is much better. Saw him play a couple times this summer. The potential is high but he needs to put some weight on. Heís a top 100 4 star guy.

If he can put some weight on, I am closer to this than him being like Will Foster. And he doesn't even have to be starting in 2019. If he were to put on 20 or 30 pounds by the time he takes the court as a freshman, I'm all for the luxury of having that kid as your backup 5 to Jakob.

hooter73
02-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Yeah calling him a foster is not a compliment.

Zagger
02-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Hope he commits ...... or committed ... tonight.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Yeah calling him a foster is not a compliment.

It's past time IMO to lay off Foster. The coaches don't offer scholarships without a basis for their decision.

hooter73
02-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Foster was what he was. Vankommen is no foster.

Zags_Fanatic
02-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Did anyone see VanKommen in the second half tonight? He was in the front row until halftime but didn't see him after. Maybe he got some complaints from the second row and went to stand in the tunnel with Roth? :roll:

Zagdawg
02-03-2018, 09:12 PM
He was not in his seat after the 1st half---but looked like he was enjoying the kennel club and the game. Lots of early work by our bigs in the game.

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2018, 09:15 PM
He was not in his seat after the 1st half---but looked like he was enjoying the kennel club and the game. Lots of early work by our bigs in the game.

I wonder why he left at halftime? That seems highly unusual but I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

sittingon50
02-04-2018, 12:23 AM
He moved over to the other side of the section, 2 or 3 rows back. Was nearer the band & KC.

He & his Dad had pretty wide eyes & smiles when Zombie Nation got going & (at least when I checked) seemed to really enjoy what they were witnessing during the rest of the evening.

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2018, 06:47 AM
He moved over to the other side of the section, 2 or 3 rows back. Was nearer the band & KC.

He & his Dad had pretty wide eyes & smiles when Zombie Nation got going & (at least when I checked) seemed to really enjoy what they were witnessing during the rest of the evening.

Cool, now that's a great report. Hope we get a commit sometime today

BavarianZag
02-04-2018, 10:36 AM
I wouldnít expect a commitment this weekend. This was an unofficial visit that was about getting a greater feel for the university.

From what I know, he is a Gonzaga lean. But there are a couple of other schools being considered. From what I just heard, this visit may have even put some distance between GU and those other schools.

sittingon50
02-04-2018, 11:09 AM
But there are a couple of other schools being considered.

Pregame, one of the BYU Assts. came out of their locker room, walked the length of the floor & sat down & chatted up Matt & his family.

BavarianZag
02-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Pregame, one of the BYU Assts. came out of their locker room, walked the length of the floor & sat down & chatted up Matt & his family.

Pretty confident BYU isnít anywhere on his list. The Utes are though. I suspect itís Zags #1 and Utah #2.

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2018, 11:45 AM
I wouldn’t expect a commitment this weekend. This was an unofficial visit that was about getting a greater feel for the university.

From what I know, he is a Gonzaga lean. But there are a couple of other schools being considered. From what I just heard, this visit may have even put some distance between GU and those other schools.

Which is why it's not unrealistic if he pulls the trigger today.

Zagdawg
02-06-2018, 09:40 AM
“I got in on Saturday morning, and then the coaches walked me around campus and we talked for awhile,” Van Komen said of his unofficial visit. “Then, after that I went to the game. The game was insane and the fans were just crazy.”

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Gonzaga-Hosted-Priority-2019-Recruit-Matthew-van-Komen-For-Its-Game-Against-BYU-114727138

Hooray4Daye&Gray
02-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Those same fans from Saturday and a whole lot more from around the world would be thrilled to root you on in a Zags jersey too!

I'd imagine you'd be just as thrilled to learn from the best development coaches in college basketball as you build on your defensive prowess and take your offensive game to the next level.

thespywhozaggedme
02-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Was hoping for a weekend commit. Oh well, he's taking his time, can't fault him for that.

zagdontzig
02-14-2018, 02:47 PM
https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19352350

Story passes the sniff test, let's hope it's true.

Coach Crazy
02-14-2018, 03:33 PM

Can't see why he would choose Utah, at this point.

caldwellzag
02-14-2018, 03:51 PM

I do not see him signing anywhere but Gonzaga as of right now. Unless he blows up over the summer and the blue bloods are after him, Gonzaga is nearly a perfect fit.

DixieZag
02-14-2018, 04:01 PM
I knew he was tall, but not much else. For those of you like me, TTSF has a decent breakdown from almost a year ago: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/6/27/15875258/2019-recruiting-matt-van-komen-utah-center-gonzaga-bulldogs

He can dunk without jumping, which is a skill often overlooked when evaluating talent, so I am told.

JPtheBeasta
02-14-2018, 04:24 PM
I knew he was tall, but not much else. For those of you like me, TTSF has a decent breakdown from almost a year ago: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/6/27/15875258/2019-recruiting-matt-van-komen-utah-center-gonzaga-bulldogs

He can dunk without jumping, which is a skill often overlooked when evaluating talent, so I am told.

I can jump without dunking.

I know the physics of it, but thinking about being able to dunk without jumping makes my mind explode.

MontanaCoyote
02-14-2018, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=JPtheBeasta;1360617]I can jump without dunking.

I know the physics of it, but thinking about being able to dunk without jumping makes my mind explode.[/QUOTE

He'll do!! We'll have to come up with a name for a 'no jump hook dunk.' Another good player, even better kid for Gonzaga.

OntZags
02-14-2018, 05:27 PM
I can jump without dunking.

I know the physics of it, but thinking about being able to dunk without jumping makes my mind explode.

As a 5'8 dude with a pretty legit vertical who can't dunk, it just kinda makes me angry lol. :)

JPtheBeasta
02-14-2018, 07:42 PM
As a 5'8 dude with a pretty legit vertical who can't dunk, it just kinda makes me angry lol. :)

It sounds like we all could use that Vertimax apparatus that Dominick Harris posted a picture of himself using. I was born blessed with a love of basketball but cursed with a strong affinity for gravity.

Zagger
02-15-2018, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=JPtheBeasta;1360617]I can jump without dunking.

I know the physics of it, but thinking about being able to dunk without jumping makes my mind explode.[/QUOTE

He'll do!! We'll have to come up with a name for a 'no jump hook dunk.' Another good player, even better kid for Gonzaga.

How about "stunk" .... standing dunk. Might be confusingly fun. "He stunk!" or "He stunked" or "Did you see that stunk!?!?" or "Stunk, stunk, stunk!" from the KC. :)

bigblahla
02-15-2018, 04:25 AM
[QUOTE=JPtheBeasta;1360617We'll have to come up with a name for a 'no jump hook dunk.' Another good player, even better kid for Gonzaga.

How about "Va-Plunk" ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

Bogozags
02-15-2018, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1360619]

How about "Va-Plunk" ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

Ok, just a little marketing...we could start selling t-shirts saying...

Home of the GU Va-Plunk!

BavarianZag
02-15-2018, 06:23 AM

I can confirm the same. This definitely passes the sniff test ;-)

zagdontzig
02-15-2018, 07:04 AM
I can confirm the same. This definitely passes the sniff test ;-)

That's great. Wonder what we need to do to get a reputation for developing guards similar to the one we have for developing bigs...

thespywhozaggedme
02-15-2018, 07:09 AM
That's great. Wonder what we need to do to get a reputation for developing guards similar to the one we have for developing bigs...

pretty simple answer: some of our guards lasting in the NBA

ZagzKrak
02-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Get a few guards that do well in the NBA

Coach Crazy
02-15-2018, 09:11 AM
pretty simple answer: some of our guards lasting in the NBA

Recruiting Dominic Harris's is a big piece of that puzzle.

thespywhozaggedme
02-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Recruiting Dominic Harris's is a big piece of that puzzle.

I think Norvell will have a pretty decent NBA career as well.

caldwellzag
02-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Anyone heard anything else about Van Komen? I saw today that 247 updated his interest to Warm on both Gonzaga and Utah.

doctorzag
03-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Matt blocked 130 shots this year. Only one player in Utah high school basketball has ever blocked that many shots in a season. Shawn Bradley.