PDA

View Full Version : Brock Ravet Commits to Gonzaga

doctorzag
06-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Brock led the state of Washington in scoring as a freshman. Won state title as soph. Dad is a coach and he is a Zag fan. Zags are on him and he could be our second 2019 commit.

ZagMan in Philly
06-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Brock led the state of Washington in scoring as a freshman. Won state title as soph. Dad is a coach and he is a Zag fan. Zags are on him and he could be our second 2019 commit.

A heck of a free throw shooter...
http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/ellensburg-s-brock-ravet-wins-national-free-throw-shooting-contest/article_3094b690-53b5-11df-9050-001cc4c002e0.html

soccerdud
06-21-2017, 02:35 PM
A heck of a free throw shooter...
http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/ellensburg-s-brock-ravet-wins-national-free-throw-shooting-contest/article_3094b690-53b5-11df-9050-001cc4c002e0.html

'twas cool getting our first Mickey D's AA out of high school. getting a Naismith Hall of Famer out of high school seems like the logical next step.

watched a couple of highlight vids and he has an unorthodox but very effective shot. same story with his handles. can and will pull up from anywhere but no idea if he can make space and get his shot off (low release point) against next level athletes or if he will even be a high-major quality prospect. that being said, he's sure fun to watch and appears pretty dominant at this level.

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Hmmmm. I saw both Floyd's play in B tournament and they were much better than this kid. It's so hard to tell with lower classifications as the competition just isn't there. I could maybe see him as a walk on. Any link or anything regarding where your information came from as to us being on him?

ZagMan in Philly
06-21-2017, 05:06 PM
he got some range on his jump shots
http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/washington/kittitas/kittitas-secondary-school/brock-ravet

doctorzag
06-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Hmmmm. I saw both Floyd's play in B tournament and they were much better than this kid. It's so hard to tell with lower classifications as the competition just isn't there. I could maybe see him as a walk on. Any link or anything regarding where your information came from as to us being on him?

Its on Scout as well as many other stories you can google. I need to learn how to link.

demian
06-21-2017, 06:20 PM
what classification was David Pendergrafts Brewster High School team? Was Brewster HS a Class A or Class B team when Pendo played there? Kittitas HS is a Class B school. I would just be curious. Because if Pendo played at a Class B school then I would say if your good your good it doesn't matter what classification you play at because David Pendergraft was very good in high school, I saw him play in Yakima his senior season. I was impressed and Pendos Brewster team played against a real good West Valley HS team who was a state tourney placing 3A school (I believe) at the time. So maybe this kid is really good. One of the main things I care about from this point going forward though for our recruits who are guards and wings is can you defend at an elite level and can you stay in front of the guy you are guarding, do you have the foot speed and the toughness to play hellacious man to man defense? You also need to be a "two way player" to be a GU recruit now in my opinion. Have to be a weapon on offense as well as a badass on defense. Those are just my thoughts and wishes for recruits to possess those qualities. If this kid fits both of those criteria as a GU recruit (admittedly I have no clue one way or the other on this kid as I have never seen him play) then I don't care what classification he played at sign him up.

doctorzag
06-21-2017, 06:54 PM
what classification was David Pendergrafts Brewster High School team? Was Brewster HS a Class A or Class B team when Pendo played there? Kittitas HS is a Class B school. I would just be curious. Because if Pendo played at a Class B school then I would say if your good your good it doesn't matter what classification you play at because David Pendergraft was very good in high school, I saw him play in Yakima his senior season. I was impressed and Pendos Brewster team played against a real good West Valley HS team who was a state tourney placing 3A school (I believe) at the time. So maybe this kid is really good. One of the main things I care about from this point going forward though for our recruits who are guards and wings is can you defend at an elite level and can you stay in front of the guy you are guarding, do you have the foot speed and the toughness to play hellacious man to man defense? You also need to be a "two way player" to be a GU recruit now in my opinion. Have to be a weapon on offense as well as a badass on defense. Those are just my thoughts and wishes for recruits to possess those qualities. If this kid fits both of those criteria as a GU recruit (admittedly I have no clue one way or the other on this kid as I have never seen him play) then I don't care what classification he played at sign him up.

Kispert only played in 1A which is just a notch above 2B

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 07:28 PM
The Floyd's played B at the time. Pretty sure Brewster was 1A when Pendo was there. Kispert played 1A in a good conference. I would suggest there was a big difference in competition between King's and Kittitas this past year. I'm all for if a kid can play a kid can play. I saw at least 6 guards in the GSL this past year that were better than Ravet. Not that he's a bad player because he's not. He can fill it up no question. As of now I just don't see him making it at GU. That's just my opinion.

demian
06-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Kispert only played in 1A which is just a notch above 2B

Ok that's actually a good reference of kispert from 1A. Thx for adding that. Maybe Ravet can get it done from a class B school to a big time college hoops program. How would you compare Ravet to the Elijah Pepper kid from class 2A Selah HS who lost in the state 2A title game to Foss of Tacoma? There both in the same class. ( I have seen Elijah Pepper play)

demian
06-21-2017, 08:00 PM
The Floyd's played B at the time. Pretty sure Brewster was 1A when Pendo was there. Kispert played 1A in a good conference. I would suggest there was a big difference in competition between King's and Kittitas this past year. I'm all for if a kid can play a kid can play. I saw at least 6 guards in the GSL this past year that were better than Ravet. Not that he's a bad player because he's not. He can fill it up no question. As of now I just don't see him making it at GU. That's just my opinion.

Thx for clarifying the pendo and Brewster classification, I thought Brewster was 1A.

MDABE80
06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
1. Good foot speed
2. Lower release sort of like Raivio
3. They only film the ones that go in but what range!
4. Quick on his feet...ankle breaker plus!
5 Really good passer
6. Looks he was born with a basketball in his hands. Really good court sense and where his teammates are.
7. Hops?
8. FT's obviously excellent.
9. Ball handler plus!

Needs a better league for development. WOW though.......with these skills and at his age Few needs to run over there pen in hand!! lol

Great future this boy.

bigblahla
06-22-2017, 12:33 AM
1. Good foot speed
2. Lower release sort of like Raivio
3. They only film the ones that go in but what range!
4. Quick on his feet...ankle breaker plus!
5 Really good passer
6. Looks he was born with a basketball in his hands. Really good court sense and where his teammates are.
7. Hops?
8. FT's obviously excellent.
9. Ball handler plus!

Needs a better league for development. WOW though.......with these skills and at his age Few needs to run over there pen in hand!! lol

Great future this boy.

He's got an offensive game and if he plays "D" with as much energy I'd agree to the WOW factor....Looks like a great Zag to me.

Go!! Zags!!!

509er
06-22-2017, 05:20 AM
I would guess this kid is playing more games against really good competition than he is against B competition with the way HS Elite AAU teams are set up. If he can play, the coaches are on him. I don't think college coaches spend much time watching HS basketball anymore. They just go to the elite AAU tournaments and see everyone at once.

I saw this kid play at the state B tournie. I think he's a blast to watch and will be a fan favorite wherever he goes.

LongIslandZagFan
06-22-2017, 06:19 AM

So... I guess my question would be... what does classification have to do with hitting from beyond NBA range? Oh... and if the coaching staff is on him... I'll trust THEIR judgement on whether he can play at the next level.

Averages 32 ppg.

hooter73
06-22-2017, 07:04 AM
After watching Jesse's (Wade) picture perfect step back threes for so long Brock's shot just seems so unconventional, but then you realize his highlight video where hes nailing from NBA distance, splitting defenders on drives, up and under layins, spin moves in transition in the paint around defenders, and seeing some nice assists are all as he is 15 years old. Thats a well rounded game for a 20 year old, for him to have all that - and hes not thinking about it, hes just letting it come to him ie no hesitation - all at such an early age, well thats just awesome. Who knows how well he will develop but cool to see it from local kids.

cggonzaga
06-22-2017, 07:17 AM
So... I guess my question would be... what does classification have to do with hitting from beyond NBA range? Oh... and if the coaching staff is on him... I'll trust THEIR judgement on whether he can play at the next level.

Averages 32 ppg.

Like I said it is just my opinion. And unless I've missed something online I don't see any concrete evidence GU is looking at him. Much like Naje Smith shows GU has interest on Scout. I'm sure GU talks to many kids without ever making an offer. Also I'm not one to discount a kid because of classification. I've seen this kid play many times, both in HS and AAU. His AAU team plays "elite" in PNW tournaments only and he isn't even the best player on that team with no other D1 offers. Also he's a 17 year old sophomore as far as I know. He plays ok defense like most scorers. Again, good player but I don't see GU caliber.

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Joe Harris at 1A Chelan wasn't too bad of a player either.

cggonzaga
06-22-2017, 08:28 AM
You all do realize the Pendo's, Harris' and Kispert's (all over 6'6") were not only being recruited locally but also nationally as well?

I don't see Ravet is even being recruited by Seattle U, Western, PLU, UW, WSU? I would imagine all the lower college classifications would be all over this kid. Even lower D1 such as Seattle U or Eastern.

thespywhozaggedme
06-22-2017, 08:37 AM
You all do realize the Pendo's, Harris' and Kispert's (all over 6'6") were not only being recruited locally but also nationally as well?

I don't see Ravet is even being recruited by Seattle U, Western, PLU, UW, WSU? I would imagine all the lower college classifications would be all over this kid. Even lower D1 such as Seattle U or Eastern.

He's only a rising sophomore. Were those guys that you mentioned recruited by those schools after their freshman year?

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 08:40 AM
http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/members/kittitas-freshman-brock-ravet-s-basketball-success-has-followed-him/article_96439c5e-3199-11e6-bee4-1f5dc6f6f141.html

mgadfly
06-22-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm pretty sure I've heard the story (myth) of Pendo being offered and committing as a four year old or something (maybe as a sophomore or freshman). I don't remember him being nationally recruited as it was a done deal that he was going to GU. But maybe the myth has grown and my recollection is faulty.

sittingon50
06-22-2017, 09:20 AM
I'm pretty sure I've heard the story (myth) of Pendo being offered and committing as a four year old or something (maybe as a sophomore or freshman). I don't remember him being nationally recruited as it was a done deal that he was going to GU. But maybe the myth has grown and my recollection is faulty.

Pendo committed between Frosh & Soph season @ Brewster.

Stanford, Duke, UNC, Indiana, Virginia, Wyoming, BYU & Air Force were all corresponding.

(Bravehearts: pp143-146).

demian
06-22-2017, 10:02 AM
Like I said it is just my opinion. And unless I've missed something online I don't see any concrete evidence GU is looking at him. Much like Naje Smith shows GU has interest on Scout. I'm sure GU talks to many kids without ever making an offer. Also I'm not one to discount a kid because of classification. I've seen this kid play many times, both in HS and AAU. His AAU team plays "elite" in PNW tournaments only and he isn't even the best player on that team with no other D1 offers. Also he's a 17 year old sophomore as far as I know. He plays ok defense like most scorers. Again, good player but I don't see GU caliber.

My son just went through the recruiting process for college football in the spring and fall of 2015. One thing I found out as a dad and observing the recruiting process for my son is that "Medium interest" means nothing. It means that the school had an assistant coach who made contact with a player that they have seen some film of and they are interested and want to learn more. Could mean they have called the kid to make an initial personal relationship with that kid plus the 100 other kids they called also. Could mean the assistant called the kids coach to ask what the coach thinks of the kid just to learn more info on the kid. Could mean the assistant stopped by the kids school to meet with him and talk with him face to face to gauge more of the kid in a face to face setting. Probably the assistant coach invited the kid to the college team camp on said campus so the assistant coaches and head coach can see the kid compete in front of other similar caliber players on there campus and maybe coach the kid a bit during camp to see how the kid responds to coaching etc etc. while all of that was great and cool for my son and yes even for me as a dad. It ultimately meant absolutely nothing as far as a scholarship offer coming through. Under this guidelines I listed for my interpretation of what "medium interest" means my son had "medium interest" from football schools such as University of Hawaii, university of Wyoming, Eastern Washington University, North Dakota State University, Army West Point, University of North Dakota. None of those schools ended up offering my son a scholarship. Preferred Walk On offers from Wyoming and from Eastern Washington was the best that came from that group of schools with "medium interests". Which was all fine and good because a Big Sky Conference team came through with a full football scholarship offer that had not shown ANY "interest" at all until it came down to getting serious about an actual offer. They made a full scholarship offer when they were serious and sure about what they had learned about my son, they didn't waste our time with "camps" and empty conversations. It was straight forward and we really loved that approach. Maybe basketball recruiting is different from football recruiting, I don't know, but to my experience in football recruiting "medium interest" ultimately meant nothing

MDABE80
06-22-2017, 11:39 AM
https://www.hudl.com/profile/7112190/brock-ravet

cggonzaga
06-22-2017, 12:15 PM
My son just went through the recruiting process for college football in the spring and fall of 2015. One thing I found out as a dad and observing the recruiting process for my son is that "Medium interest" means nothing. It means that the school had an assistant coach who made contact with a player that they have seen some film of and they are interested and want to learn more. Could mean they have called the kid to make an initial personal relationship with that kid plus the 100 other kids they called also. Could mean the assistant called the kids coach to ask what the coach thinks of the kid just to learn more info on the kid. Could mean the assistant stopped by the kids school to meet with him and talk with him face to face to gauge more of the kid in a face to face setting. Probably the assistant coach invited the kid to the college team camp on said campus so the assistant coaches and head coach can see the kid compete in front of other similar caliber players on there campus and maybe coach the kid a bit during camp to see how the kid responds to coaching etc etc. while all of that was great and cool for my son and yes even for me as a dad. It ultimately meant absolutely nothing as far as a scholarship offer coming through. Under this guidelines I listed for my interpretation of what "medium interest" means my son had "medium interest" from football schools such as University of Hawaii, university of Wyoming, Eastern Washington University, North Dakota State University, Army West Point, University of North Dakota. None of those schools ended up offering my son a scholarship. Preferred Walk On offers from Wyoming and from Eastern Washington was the best that came from that group of schools with "medium interests". Which was all fine and good because a Big Sky Conference team came through with a full football scholarship offer that had not shown ANY "interest" at all until it came down to getting serious about an actual offer. They made a full scholarship offer when they were serious and sure about what they had learned about my son, they didn't waste our time with "camps" and empty conversations. It was straight forward and we really loved that approach. Maybe basketball recruiting is different from football recruiting, I don't know, but to my experience in football recruiting "medium interest" ultimately meant nothing

Thank you for the insider information Demian. This was how I understood recruiting so it's nice to see this verified.

He's only a rising sophomore. Were those guys that you mentioned recruited by those schools after their freshman year?

He'll be a junior next season. I had heard he was held back a year, again I believe he's 17 already. And yes, Pendo, Harris and Kispert were all hearing from schools after their sophomore years if not earlier.

demian
06-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the insider information Demian. This was how I understood recruiting so it's nice to see this verified.

He'll be a junior next season. I had heard he was held back a year, again I believe he's 17 already. And yes, Pendo, Harris and Kispert were all hearing from schools after their sophomore years if not earlier.

Your welcome cggonzaga. It was a neat experience to go through that with our son but there was a lot you have to sift through to get to legitimacy of scholarship offers. By the way I would not be surprised to see this Ravet kid transfer to Garfield HS in Seattle to play for Brandon Roy to try to increase his situation. There is a kid from Yakima who moved from Yakima to seattle prior to last season to play his freshman season at Nathan Hale HS for Brandon Roy and that kid has since trasfered to Garfield HS to play his sophomore season at Garfield HS for new coach Brandon Roy. This same kid and Ravet were teammates in younger AAU years. I could see Ravet transferring to Garfield. Just my thoughts. No inside info on that whatsoever

soccerdud
06-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Your welcome cggonzaga. It was a neat experience to go through that with our son but there was a lot you have to sift through to get to legitimacy of scholarship offers. By the way I would not be surprised to see this Ravet kid transfer to Garfield HS in Seattle to play for Brandon Roy to try to increase his situation. There is a kid from Yakima who moved from Yakima to seattle prior to last season to play his freshman season at Nathan Hale HS for Brandon Roy and that kid has since trasfered to Garfield HS to play his sophomore season at Garfield HS for new coach Brandon Roy. This same kid and Ravet were teammates in younger AAU years. I could see Ravet transferring to Garfield. Just my thoughts. No inside info on that whatsoever

one of the earlier articles mentioned that ravet's dad is his HS coach. maybe you're right, but that makes it seem a little less likely.

MDABE80
06-22-2017, 01:31 PM

He should come to GPrep. They're going to win a state champion ship this year. Better competition and the coach is spectacular.

demian
06-22-2017, 03:04 PM
He should come to GPrep. They're going to win a state champion ship this year. Better competition and the coach is spectacular.

I actually like that idea better MDABE80. GPrep would be great. What a neat campus and environment at GPrep. I went there last July 1st for the All State football game. it was played at GPrep football field. Very cool place.

Birddog
06-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Kelvin Sampson, then at Oklahoma went after Pendo after he had verbaled to Gonzaga.

Norwester
06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Kelvin Sampson, then at Oklahoma went after Pendo after he had verbaled to Gonzaga.

It was Cameron Dollar. http://a.espncdn.com/ncb/news/2002/0825/1422719.html

demian
06-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Saw something on Facebook today here in the yakima valley area stating that Brock Ravet has been offered a Full Scholarship by Gonzaga. Also appears to be some indications of a gonzaga "offer" on twitter as well.

cggonzaga
06-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Twitter sure seems to indicate he's GU bound. I do believe he's at camp this week so I'd think it would be possible. Congrats if so. I'll be happy to eat crow.

scrooner
06-22-2017, 10:10 PM
I worry about early commitments from guys named "Brock".

ZagNative
06-22-2017, 10:40 PM
I came upon this recording of a fairly lengthy interview with Brock: https://player.fm/series/superstar-showcase/brock-ravet-pg-kittitas-28

The interviewer made me cringe a fair amount, but I did enjoy the interview. Brock sounds like a modest, good kid.

sittingon50
06-22-2017, 11:14 PM

:roll:

:clap:

Coach Crazy
06-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Twitter sure seems to indicate he's GU bound. I do believe he's at camp this week so I'd think it would be possible. Congrats if so. I'll be happy to eat crow.

We'll split the pie. I don't see it, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooter73
06-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Ha!

cggonzaga
06-23-2017, 05:57 AM
We'll split the pie. I don't see it, either.

I was going to ask what you and a few others thought. I see a preferred walk on at best but I guess that's why I don't coach at that level.

Coach Crazy
06-23-2017, 08:54 AM
I was going to ask what you and a few others thought. I see a preferred walk on at best but I guess that's why I don't coach at that level.

I don't think you have to be a coach to see that, though. We disagree on some things, but we also see some things similar.

His form and mechanics are inconsistent, and are not sound...even foundationally.

He's not long, incredibly fast, and I don't see his ball handling and passing as setting him apart.

McClung is a class (talent wise) above him.

Would also need to see how he reacts to being met in the lane on dribble drive penetration. Doesn't seem strong enough to meet that pressure and finish.

Zags_Fanatic
06-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Just posted on the scrimmage thread but Brock was playing with J3, Jeremy Jones and Jack Beach at the scrimmage last night. Few, Daniels and Lloyd were all there and now from his twitter account it seems that he received an offer yesterday. Looks like we will have 2 2019 kids locked up very early this year.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 10:44 AM
I don't think you have to be a coach to see that, though. We disagree on some things, but we also see some things similar.

His form and mechanics are inconsistent, and are not sound...even foundationally.

He's not long, incredibly fast, and I don't see his ball handling and passing as setting him apart.

McClung is a class (talent wise) above him.

Would also need to see how he reacts to being met in the lane on dribble drive penetration. Doesn't seem strong enough to meet that pressure and finish.

And literally; MM is 2018, BR is 2019.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Just posted on the scrimmage thread but Brock was playing with J3, Jeremy Jones and Jack Beach at the scrimmage last night. Few, Daniels and Lloyd were all there and now from his twitter account it seems that he received an offer yesterday. Looks like we will have 2 2019 kids locked up very early this year.

Well, they obviously didn't check with crazycoach, he's gonna give those coaches a stern what for.

jazzdelmar
06-23-2017, 11:02 AM
I actually like that idea better MDABE80. GPrep would be great. What a neat campus and environment at GPrep. I went there last July 1st for the All State football game. it was played at GPrep football field. Very cool place.

As long as he doesn't go to Huntington Prep....

MDABE80
06-23-2017, 12:41 PM
He's really got the scoring down. I don't like his form either but the ball goes in the basket.......a lot. also a lot of "desperation" form in him. I'm thinking he'll need lots of development. If he develops, great. If not, well we'll see. He has a two more HS years....he may grow an inch or so but his dad is about 6 ft .
The really important thing is that he blossoms to a D1 player with great shooting and other skills like defense, passing ball handling. I believe he'd get a leg up if he came to GPrep (so staff can keep up and watch him) or a larger school with stiffer competition. He's got tons of potential and if he's keeping up with some of our own players , it might be an indicator of his future.

Worthington
06-23-2017, 01:44 PM
I had checked out this thread a couple days ago and dug up a video of Brock Ravet that I thought was recent. Didn't think much of him after watching that video, but I've just now realized that it was over a year old footage. This video below is highlights of his run through the State Championships this year. I like this kid a lot after watching the newest highlights, reminds me of a guy like Ravio and even Wade. Looks very crafty, nice handle, can shoot it the lights out off the dribble, made some really beautiful passes in the highlights. Very much in the mold of many of the point guards that have made Gonzaga so successful over the past two decades. Absolutely sold after watching the highlights, this kid is a flat out player.

His story reminds me of Jesse Wade, who was offered after dominating a stretch of a scrimmage against then current and former Zags. I'd be stoked to get an early commitment here.

http://www.hudl.com/v/1wEBqc

katman50
06-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Damn, what a dead eye shooter. Funny looking shot but it goes in. Has good handles and seems very quick.

Zagdawg
06-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Inside The Kennel‏ @InsideTheKennel 4m4 minutes ago

Have seen some buzz on both an offer and commitment from 2019 guard Brock Ravet, but have yet to confirm on our end.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 02:15 PM
I had checked out this thread a couple days ago and dug up a video of Brock Ravet that I thought was recent. Didn't think much of him after watching that video, but I've just now realized that it was over a year old footage. This video below is highlights of his run through the State Championships this year. I like this kid a lot after watching the newest highlights, reminds me of a guy like Ravio and even Wade. Looks very crafty, nice handle, can shoot it the lights out off the dribble, made some really beautiful passes in the highlights. Very much in the mold of many of the point guards that have made Gonzaga so successful over the past two decades. Absolutely sold after watching the highlights, this kid is a flat out player.

His story reminds me of Jesse Wade, who was offered after dominating a stretch of a scrimmage against then current and former Zags. I'd be stoked to get an early commitment here.

http://www.hudl.com/v/1wEBqc

Thanks for posting this. I hate to say it, because I hate the looks of it, but his shot is almost identical to Lonzo Ball's. It's so awkward and ugly, but it's very effective and really quick. I saw a sports science clip on his shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNxoTKvG20

Coach Crazy
06-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Well, they obviously didn't check with crazycoach, he's gonna give those coaches a stern what for.

They don't need my input to do something.

zagsfanforlife
06-23-2017, 03:17 PM
I am with a few others--- not seeing GU bound top 15 program talent when i watch that tape. In fact, the first four shots i just watched in his videos he had different motions and release points on all four shots--- not a good combination to be a consistent shooter at the collegiate level. We shall see. We have signed two in this years class and i am skeptical about both. But i have been skeptical all offseason. Lots of swings, lots of misses--- hopefully these two are homeruns.

Dont we still have like 3 or 4 open scholarships?? am i missing something??

Zagdawg
06-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Morrison was another one that shot at strange angles -- but he was quite a bit taller too.

Worthington
06-23-2017, 08:36 PM
I know there have been some conflicting reports on this one, but this seems pretty official. Another local kid for the class of 2019. Welcome aboard Brock!

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/a-dream-coming-true-kittitas-brock-ravet-verbally-commits-to/article_ae47eb23-26b5-522e-ad71-0d592ed1c9f5.html

Highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/v/1wKSHs

Stache
06-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Low release on shot. Interesting to see him in aau competitions

Murphy outgo lifer
06-23-2017, 10:39 PM
I think Raivio is the best comp for this kid. The question I think most people are struggling with is do we want to go back to those type of guards. Especially after seeing what guards like NWG can do for us both offensively and DEFENSIVELY. I think Wade gets a pass from most of us because he seems more athletic than past guards and he has played against better competition, both in league and in camps like the Pangos All-American Camp.

I personally think this kid could make a good back-up point guard for a couple of years and then be ready to lead the team his senior year kind of like David Stockton did for us. He might need a red-shirt year as well.

sittingon50
06-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Congratulations Brock!

demian
06-24-2017, 12:26 AM
I think Raivio is the best comp for this kid. The question I think most people are struggling with is do we want to go back to those type of guards. Especially after seeing what guards like NWG can do for us both offensively and DEFENSIVELY. I think Wade gets a pass from most of us because he seems more athletic than past guards and he has played against better competition, both in league and in camps like the Pangos All-American Camp.

I personally think this kid could make a good back-up point guard for a couple of years and then be ready to lead the team his senior year kind of like David Stockton did for us. He might need a red-shirt year as well.

I was never a Derek Ravio fan. I do not want to go back to those type of guards AT ALL. But Ravet committed to GU so welcome aboard young man

zagsfanforlife
06-24-2017, 12:28 AM

Welcome Brock. I will be rooting for the kid wholeheartedly. You are correct in addressing concerns i have though... going back to a small guard who to me has inconsistent shot mechanics. I do hope that Few is setting his bar higher than "David Stockton by his senior year" though. No offense to David--- decent player, but as the program reaches new heights, so should its recruiting. My take and i will get blasted for it, but its remained consistent. Should aim as high as we can in recruiting. Unless Few is seeing the Singleton's, the Brandon Williams and conceding that any top west coast talent we will get beat out by Arizona or UCLA these days and instead we need to go after the gritty 1999-early Pangos era type of guards.

MickMick
06-24-2017, 01:09 AM
He grew up a Zag fan. Living his dream.

Awesome!

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 03:22 AM
So post FF, the zags recruiting net is shrinking to local zip codes?

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 03:23 AM
I was never a Derek Ravio fan. I do not want to go back to those type of guards AT ALL. But Ravet committed to GU so welcome aboard young man

Amen, Demian, with you 100%.

tyra
06-24-2017, 04:21 AM
I understand the concerns some have. But whenever I read that kind of thing, I think about all the players who didn't "fit the mold" and yet proved extraordinarily successful. Ammo was unorthodox to say the least. Isiah Thomas ("Pick me last") is only 5'9" tall for goodness sakes! Remember Jon Brockman at the UW? Not tall enough, not big enough, not enough wingspan to be the unbelievable rebounder he was. So I always want to affirmatively hold forth the expectation that the coaches see something special in these kids. And by the way, highlight reel or not, Brock was hitting plenty of treys from way way out there! I mean downtown!

VaBeachZAG
06-24-2017, 05:26 AM
I understand the concerns some have. But whenever I read that kind of thing, I think about all the players who didn't "fit the mold" and yet proved extraordinarily successful. Ammo was unorthodox to say the least. Isiah Thomas ("Pick me last") is only 5'9" tall for goodness sakes! Remember Jon Brockman at the UW? Not tall enough, not big enough, not enough wingspan to be the unbelievable rebounder he was. So I always want to affirmatively hold forth the expectation that the coaches see something special in these kids. And by the way, highlight reel or not, Brock was hitting plenty of treys from way way out there! I mean downtown!

Agree 100%. I'm sure in the process of extensively evaluated this kid the coaching staff knows far more about him than anyone on this forum. His highlight reels show some undeniable talent (eye for the basket, good motor, etc.). With the right kind of coaching/training this HS sophomore has potential to really blossom into a high value D1 player in my opinion. Is he a bit of a gamble, sure, but one well worth taking in my view. It's not like the future success of GU basketball rests solely on the shoulders of this kid, so how about giving him some benefit of the doubt?

ZagMan in Philly
06-24-2017, 05:33 AM
This kid is a winner, and has two more years to grow. Welcome Brock!

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 06:16 AM
The comparison to Ammo is not germane.

Unorthodox and sloppy are two different things. Adam also had size and length.

This kid doesn't have great handles, doesn't show that he sets himself apart by how he passes, doesn't actually shoot that well (in that the ball doesn't seem to drop smooth), he's not tall or long, nor fast, not physically developed. Oh, and do you watch his footage and think "yeah, I could totally see him running some screen and action"?

We didn't give Jack Beach schollie. Soooooo...why this kid?

This seems more like a Make-A-Wish Foundation thing.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 06:19 AM

This kid doesn't have great handles, doesn't show that he sets himself apart by how he passes, doesn't actually shoot that well (in that the ball doesn't seem to drop smooth), he's not tall or long, nor fast, not physically developed. Oh, and do you watch his footage and think "yeah, I could totally see him running some screen and action"?

So does the 7-3 kid they signed yesterday. It's bizarro recruiting, make the F4 and sign 2-3 stars.

Zagdawg
06-24-2017, 06:22 AM
College coaches get paid to coach for reasons and we are fans for reasons. They worked with him for the last week and liked what they saw.

Lets give the kid the two years to continue to develop and see what he can do before we write him off.

cjm720
06-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Congrats, Brock! I hope this Brock sticks :)

His game and shot reminds me of Raivio

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 06:33 AM
College coaches get paid to coach for reasons and we are fans for reasons. They worked with him for the last week and liked what they saw.

Lets give the kid the two years to continue to develop and see what he can do before we write him off.

I agree that college are where they are for a reason, but if we are using this reasoning to stymie critical, intelligent discourse, then we've stepped into a logical fallacy.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 06:35 AM
So does the 7-3 kid they signed yesterday. It's bizarro recruiting, make the F4 and sign 2-3 stars.

I actually like the Van Komen offer. He made big leaps from his Freshman campaign. If he continues at this pace, he'll be a 4 star kid. M

Will he be Shem? No, but he won't be Will Foster, either.

Murphy outgo lifer
06-24-2017, 06:37 AM

To my knowledge he has not signed yet, just offered. However, I completely agree with what you are saying. Also, all of these kids are in 2019 so I would have expected us to take some lower rated players in 2018 to make up for the recent misses not the class two years from now. Maybe these are roster fillers but still signing them two years out seems wierd to me.

Matt Van Komen - The guy is tall but has no athleticism and or strength. I read that he has only been playing basketball for 4 years and that he has had massive growth years for awhile so maybe the staff sees his skills now and thinks that he will really be good once he stops growing and gets more coaching. To be honest though I have no idea what we are doing with him, maybe Few likes to have big men projects so that in case of injury he has some extra depth, however, that did not happen with Edwards when Karnowski went down.

Colory me confused...

Zagdawg
06-24-2017, 06:40 AM
Agree thats almost as bad as watching 3 minutes of video and declaring a kid not fit to be a Zag when the professionals that do this for a living have been watching him throughout the year and in person again this week and decided he has the tools necessary to be a Zag.

Life is crazy like that.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 06:42 AM
Agree thats almost as bad as watching 3 minutes of video and declaring a kid not fit to be a Zag when the professionals that do this for a living have been watching him throughout the year and in person again this week and decided he has the tools necessary to be a Zag.

Life is crazy like that.

These professionals of which you speak, they have never made any mistakes? I mean other than playing #10 picks 16 minutes a game.

Zagdawg
Congrats ---Welcome to the family!

Murphy outgo lifer
I actually like the Van Komen offer. He made big leaps from his Freshman campaign. If he continues at this pace, he'll be a 4 star kid. M

Will he be Shem? No, but he won't be Will Foster, either.

I actually liked Foster his last year in the program as he added a nice extra big off the bench with a unique skill-set, however the thing that I did not like is that it took 5 years to get him to be serviceable.

I would be curious to hear what do you see in Matt that stands out compared to Foster? I think Foster was actually more athletic as he ran pretty well for a big guy and had better hops then Matt. I think Matt has better foot work and probably better hands but I still think he would be a big project.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Life is crazy like that.

There is enough tape on this kid to evaluate him. You may personally not have the expertise and wish to stay close to the staff's pick, on this one. But some of us do have the expertise to evaluate.

Remember when people on this forum were adamant about the DE mock draft being indicative of what would happen for Zach in the draft? I believe there was a rebuttal to that position that ended up being right.

Not being on a staff or with an organization doesn't mean you don't have the expertise. As of right now...Brock Ravet isn't even at Raivio status.

Perhaps he has some great bench celebration/handshake skills?

bartruff1
06-24-2017, 06:59 AM
I think Mark knows what he is doing. I will never understand the gratuitous swipes at players like Derek who did so much for the program.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 07:02 AM

As I said yesterday I think it's imperative that you schedule an appointment with the coaching staff before they make the grave mistake of signing him. Let them know that you, crazycoach, know better than them.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 07:04 AM
I agree that college are where they are for a reason, but if we are using this reasoning to stymie critical, intelligent discourse, then we've stepped into a logical fallacy.

There's been intelligent discourse? All I see is a bunch of Debbie Downers questioning the coaching staff, as if they know better.

bartruff1
06-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Congratulations Brock, you look like a Zag to me.....try and ignore the experts in here and enjoy your time at Gonzaga.... and your time at Kittitas....I look forward to seeing you play some games in high school this year and next..... :cheers:

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 07:06 AM

Life is crazy like that.

How dare you question crazycoach.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 07:08 AM
These professionals of which you speak, they have never made any mistakes? I mean other than playing #10 picks 16 minutes a game.

You are seriously questioning a coaching staff that just took a team that plays in a non-P5 conference to the championship game? Your inability to self reflect is utterly astounding.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 07:10 AM
I think Mark knows what he is doing. I will never understand the gratuitous swipes at players like Derek who did so much for the program.

I think there's a subliminal pattern with crazycoach. He hates Kispert, Ravio, Wade, and now this Ravet kid. What do they all have in common?

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 07:12 AM
For the two Debbie downers in this thread, not every single player on a teams roster is going to be a four and five star kid. Even Kentucky has end of the bench fillers that's probably what these two guys are going to be. And that's OK. The sky is not falling.

zagsfanforlife
06-24-2017, 07:17 AM
There's been intelligent discourse? All I see is a bunch of Debbie Downers questioning the coaching staff, as if they know better.

Recruiting isnt an exact science--- if it was we would have a team full of Ammo's who werent highly sought by the big boys but ended up being lottery picks. For every Ammo there is a Keegan Hyland, Mathias Keita or Andy Poling...the staff swings and misses at times. There are a lot of scholarships to fill and while some may be very good rotational players or even stars, there are many who are not even mid major D1 caliber.

To just say-- "hey you arent Mark Few so shut up, your opinion doesnt count" doesnt really hold weight to me. Few makes recruiting mistakes and as CC alluded to, some of us have been around the game enough to at least express what we see from kids especially at this age. Not a resume discussion but for instance myself-- i have high school coaching experience, DII college coaching experience, D1 college assistant experience, and have worked player development for players such as Paul George, Tyler Dorsey, Deron Williams, Cuttino Mobley, Elton Brand, amongst others. Coach Crazy also clearly has lots of coaching experience.

Could people expressing negative opinions of these kids be totally wrong and these guys be the next hidden gem? Sure. Again, recruiting is not an exact science. Its obvious these kids were at the GU camp, probably played against current players and showed enough to the staff for them to offer right away. To me, seems a bit of a stretch coming off a NC appearance to be offering 2019 kids who have little interest from other schools at this time. As some of you have predicted 2018 could be a special year-- say we make another Final Four appearance. That would be 2 in 3 years--- are we going to kick ourselves that we have only 1 open scholarship to offer high major kids who are now realizing GU is an elite national program?

There are hits, there are complete misses. But what makes a message board REAL is opinions from both sides. I hope Brock ends up being the next great guard in GU history. I sure will root him on.

Zagceo
06-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Strange offer ......IMO

zagsfanforlife
06-24-2017, 07:19 AM
I think there's a subliminal pattern with crazycoach. He hates Kispert, Ravio, Wade, and now this Ravet kid. What do they all have in common?

If youre going to allude something, might as well say it. Funny thats your opinion of the guy--- coach is a white dude himself. hahahahahahhahaha

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 07:22 AM

He didn't need more than 20 or 21 though, Jazz. Even KAT only got used in the 20's at Kentucky.

Coach Cal talked about the idea of efficiency players once, and it converted me to that idea. You can prove more value by playing a kid 17-21 mpg and being efficient, than playing him in the high 20's/low 30's and having a stat grabber.

If you're saying that he would have stayed efficient with more minutes, and that would have brought us more success, then that's another discussion to be had.

But they did right by Zach, with regard to getting him to the next level.

bartruff1
06-24-2017, 08:00 AM
No one is asking anyone to shut up...you are welcome to your opinion....some of us have a different opinions based upon the demonstrable fact that a coach has won 500 games or so....just some perspective...

Having testified as a " expert witness " , my experience is you have to demonstrate why your opinion should matter....Mark has a very credible resume ....

btzag
06-24-2017, 08:17 AM
For the two Debbie downers in this thread, not every single player on a teams roster is going to be a four and five star kid. Even Kentucky has end of the bench fillers that's probably what these two guys are going to be. And that's OK. The sky is not falling.

This. Though I think Watson in two years will be a steal.

Remember a year ago the experts on this board were convinced that Tillie was a sure redshirt due to how he looked in videos...

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 08:23 AM
If youre going to allude something, might as well say it. Funny thats your opinion of the guy--- coach is a white dude himself. hahahahahahhahaha

Kids from small rural towns that did not play in major metropolitan areas.

GoZags
06-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Jazz, ZC was closer to 18 minutes a game rather than the 16 you continue to mention in your tiresome diatribes (and subtle/not so subtle jabs) against Mark Few. And just think ... if ZC didn't lead the Western World in fouling out, he "may" have gotten even MORE minutes than the 17.2 he ended up with.

For the record, I wouldn't have minded him getting more minutes .... especially in the National Title game .... sure was too bad he could only stay on the floor for 14 minutes in the most important game in Gonzaga Basketball history.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Recruiting isnt an exact science--- if it was we would have a team full of Ammo's who werent highly sought by the big boys but ended up being lottery picks. For every Ammo there is a Keegan Hyland, Mathias Keita or Andy Poling...the staff swings and misses at times. There are a lot of scholarships to fill and while some may be very good rotational players or even stars, there are many who are not even mid major D1 caliber.

To just say-- "hey you arent Mark Few so shut up, your opinion doesnt count" doesnt really hold weight to me. Few makes recruiting mistakes and as CC alluded to, some of us have been around the game enough to at least express what we see from kids especially at this age. Not a resume discussion but for instance myself-- i have high school coaching experience, DII college coaching experience, D1 college assistant experience, and have worked player development for players such as Paul George, Tyler Dorsey, Deron Williams, Cuttino Mobley, Elton Brand, amongst others. Coach Crazy also clearly has lots of coaching experience.

Could people expressing negative opinions of these kids be totally wrong and these guys be the next hidden gem? Sure. Again, recruiting is not an exact science. Its obvious these kids were at the GU camp, probably played against current players and showed enough to the staff for them to offer right away. To me, seems a bit of a stretch coming off a NC appearance to be offering 2019 kids who have little interest from other schools at this time. As some of you have predicted 2018 could be a special year-- say we make another Final Four appearance. That would be 2 in 3 years--- are we going to kick ourselves that we have only 1 open scholarship to offer high major kids who are now realizing GU is an elite national program?

There are hits, there are complete misses. But what makes a message board REAL is opinions from both sides. I hope Brock ends up being the next great guard in GU history. I sure will root him on.

I don't think anyone is telling anyone to shut up. But the constant questioning of a national coach of the year and sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer is laughable. It's constantly questioning every move he makes. Even the best coaches get things wrong sometimes, but I would think it's safe to say that Mark few has a pretty good track record and knows what he's doing.

GoZags
06-24-2017, 08:33 AM
I don't think anyone is telling anyone to shut up. But the constant questioning of a national coach of the year and sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer is laughable. It's constantly questioning every move he makes. Even the best coaches get things wrong sometimes, but I would think it's safe to say that Mark few has a pretty good track record and knows what he's doing.

Agree. Somehow the guy muddled his way to being 1:41 away from a National Championship for Gonzaga Basketball. If only he'd had the advice of our message board experts .... the Zags would have been cutting down the nets in Phoenix.

zagsfanforlife
06-24-2017, 08:36 AM

Remember a year ago the experts on this board were convinced that Tillie was a sure redshirt due to how he looked in videos...

As our president would say -- WRONG. . I loved tillie from the moment i saw his clips in the 3 vs 3 tourney.

zagsfanforlife
06-24-2017, 08:36 AM

mhmmm..

northsidezagfan
06-24-2017, 08:39 AM

BS. Vancouver is not rural and Wade is from just outside SLC, his high school had 3500 kids.

Worthington
06-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I have no problem when someone questions a decision that the coaching staff makes. I just want to talk about Brock Ravet and why I'm extremely excited to have him as a future Zag.

I honestly feel like I'm watching different footage than some of you when it comes to this kid. There are certain attributes that should almost be unquestionable when it comes to Ravet, I mean we're talking about a guy who's on pace to be the all-time leading scorer in Washington high-school basketball HISTORY. Scream lower level league all you want, but you don't accomplish that feat without having some serious skills.

Say whatever you want about his release, there's no doubt Ravet can shoot the lights out. He's putting up 30+ points a game and his highlights consistently show him knocking down shots off the dribble from Steph Curry range with ease. His ball-handling, in my eye, appears to be elite, and that's not a conclusion that I usually draw from watching 6 minutes worth of film. The phrase 'ball on a string' comes to mind when watching him (view :40 and 1:12 of http://www.hudl.com/v/1wWAY6). There's one instance in his highlights where he slips on a wet spot, keeps his dribble, and still manages to recover and take his defender off the bounce. Which brings me to my next observation, this kid does not appear to be strictly 'just a shooter'. While he doesn't possess elite level explosiveness, he appears to be very quick and has the kind of shake in his game that gets defenders off balance. He's not throwing down many in game dunks at this stage, but I see a very crafty finisher around the rim who's capable of finishing with either hand. I actually saw more of an ability to get to the rim in his highlights than in Jesse Wade's at the same stage (take that for what you will), as there are multiple instances where he blows by his defender with a quick first step.

It's hard to say much about his passing by just going off his highlights, but he throws several in the video that showcase high level ability and would make Josh Perkins proud. One of my favorite elements of his profile is that despite his height (probably about 6'1 at this stage) he appears to have a very good wingspan (my guess would be about 6'5). 'Shorter' point guards of the past like Dickau or Pangos have had similar height, but also quite small wingspans at their position. Ravet may not be done growing, but his length should allow him to play bigger than his size and hopefully are an encouraging sign of his defensive potential.

I could go on, but long story short, I am thrilled to have this kid on board. There's always some question about how players like Ravet who play in less talented high school leagues will adjust at the next level, but, like Corey Kispert, I think this kid is a cut above and should do great things. If he gets the chance to play some quality competition in front of talent evaluators over the summer, I think he will really start to blow up.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Yes actually I think Watson will be a four or five star. I wasn't talking about him I was talking about Ravet and the 7'3 kid. Sorry for not being clear.

Reborn
06-24-2017, 08:57 AM
I can't really see how anyone could not like this kid. I mean did you watch the video of the state tournament? That was one of the best videos I've ever seen. And he's just a sophomore. My God the kid can shoot. I mean HE CAN SHOOT from beyond the pro 3 pt line. way beyond. Consistently. He is fast. He blows by his defender time after time. This guy is one of the most dominating players I've ever seen on tape. He's a winner, and I like that. He scored 47 points in the championship game. That's a lot of points fans. Don't judge him because he plays in the B league. Watch his videos. Against a team in the state tournament named St George, Kittitas was trailing the whole game and down by 5 with a couple minutes left, and this kid brought them back and won single handedly. Those who know me know I really like good 3 pt shooters. This guy can go out further than anyone I've seen and put it in the basket. I mean who would guard a kid that far out? OMG!!!

Go Zags!!!

I almost forgot. He lives right in Spokane's back yard in Kittita (Ellensburg). Two hours away from Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 08:57 AM
BS. Vancouver is not rural and Wade is from just outside SLC, his high school had 3500 kids.

Vancouver? None of those guys are Canadian. And I didn't realize Wade was from Salt Lake City. But yes, all of those guys happen to be white but I don't know if that factors into crazy coaches dislike for them. Only he would know that.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Welcome Brock.

cggonzaga
06-24-2017, 09:19 AM
To my knowledge he has not signed yet, just offered. However, I completely agree with what you are saying. Also, all of these kids are in 2019 so I would have expected us to take some lower rated players in 2018 to make up for the recent misses not the class two years from now. Maybe these are roster fillers but still signing them two years out seems wierd to me.

Matt Van Komen - The guy is tall but has no athleticism and or strength. I read that he has only been playing basketball for 4 years and that he has had massive growth years for awhile so maybe the staff sees his skills now and thinks that he will really be good once he stops growing and gets more coaching. To be honest though I have no idea what we are doing with him, maybe Few likes to have big men projects so that in case of injury he has some extra depth, however, that did not happen with Edwards when Karnowski went down.

Colory me confused...

I got to watch Matt this week at camp. He's pretty decent. Would not describe him as non-athletic. Jumps pretty well and moves well for his size. I also wouldn't say he's weak for a 17 year old 7'4" giant. Will Foster comparison is beyond dumb. This kid is already light years ahead of where foster ever was.

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 09:25 AM
I got to watch Matt this week at camp. He's pretty decent. Would not describe him as non-athletic. Jumps pretty well and moves well for his size. I also wouldn't say he's weak for a 17 year old 7'4" giant. Will Foster comparison is beyond dumb. This kid is already light years ahead of where foster ever was.

Yeah, he's developing well for a kid that tall and long. And he still has yet to enter his junior year. 2 years to continue developing, and an Summer with Travis would have him ready to go.

I don't see MVK as a Top 100, but as a 4 star? Sure. And able to contribute as a freshman.

Worthington
06-24-2017, 09:27 AM
More recent Ravet highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/1wVy1r

The more I watch this kid, the more I like his game.

Worthington
06-24-2017, 09:28 AM
I can't really see how anyone could not like this kid. I mean did you watch the video of the state tournament? That was one of the best videos I've ever seen. And he's just a sophomore. My God the kid can shoot. I mean HE CAN SHOOT from beyond the pro 3 pt line. way beyond. Consistently. He is fast. He blows by his defender time after time. This guy is one of the most dominating players I've ever seen on tape. He's a winner, and I like that. He scored 47 points in the championship game. That's a lot of points fans. Don't judge him because he plays in the B league. Watch his videos. Against a team in the state tournament named St George, Kittitas was trailing the whole game and down by 5 with a couple minutes left, and this kid brought them back and won single handedly. Those who know me know I really like good 3 pt shooters. This guy can go out further than anyone I've seen and put it in the basket. I mean who would guard a kid that far out? OMG!!!

Go Zags!!!

I almost forgot. He lives right in Spokane's back yard in Kittita (Ellensburg). Two hours away from Gonzaga.

Completely agree.

Here are some more extremely impressive Ravet highlights (how ridiculous is that fake behind the back move?)

http://www.hudl.com/v/1wVy1r

GoZags
06-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Vancouver? None of those guys are Canadian. And I didn't realize Wade was from Salt Lake City. But yes, all of those guys happen to be white but I don't know if that factors into crazy coaches dislike for them. Only he would know that.

Fwiw directly across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon is the 4th largest city in the State of Washington .... Vancouver, WA.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Fwiw directly across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon is the 4th largest city in the State of Washington .... Vancouver, WA.

Ah, i'm in idiot. But you guys know that already.

HenneZag
06-24-2017, 09:41 AM
The kid can play. He has a good feel for the game, high IQ and fits the mold of the type of players we go after. My concern is his shooting mechanics, he shoots from the chest, not sure how tall and rangy he will be in 2-3 years but that's concerning when he will be playing against elite level athletes once he makes the jump to college. He does have some Ravio in his game that I do like!

Not the way I thought our recruiting would go, but we have plenty of time to plug some nice peices into the 2019 class.

Welcome aboard Brock I'm looking forward to watching your growth the next couple years.

GoZags
06-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Ah, i'm in idiot. But you guys know that already.

Captain George Vancouver was a shifty, cagey guy. Left his name in quite a few places.... and I think it was just to confuse future generations. Good thing Peter Puget wasn't as publicity driven. Thus, there's only one Puget Sound.

Zags_Fanatic
06-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Completely agree.

Here are some more extremely impressive Ravet highlights (how ridiculous is that fake behind the back move?)

http://www.hudl.com/v/1wVy1r

Just learned from the video that it is Brock Rav-AY. Continuing our tradition of talented french players.

MDABE80
06-24-2017, 10:19 AM
It's most unusual for a kid from 1400 population Kittitas to even think about coming to a FF team. I like the magic of it. Brock might be a huge surprise. He's got two years to play in HS. His future is here. I have reservations about this but the kid can shoot. Other aspects of his game will evolve. No doubt.
If h has shortcomings, that will become clear as he progresses. I like the idea of him putting up huge pts in HS. It's nothing short of spectacular. One thing though, GU isn't an A or B league. Let's wish him the best and hope his story is wonderful. He deserves his chance.
One thing too: Parents read this blog and website. Think before you post.

amaronizag
06-24-2017, 10:40 AM
I agree that Brock's shooting stroke is inconsistent and fundamentally flawed. BUT, the kid can really shoot!!! He has a low release, but it's very quick so he doesn't get blocked at the HS level. Arnold Palmer and a lot of the self taught golfers of old had a butt ugly stroke but they had phenomenal touch and timing so it worked. That is obviously the case with Brock. I love that he can shoot with so many different release points and off balance shots and they still go in. His stroke can be fine tuned as he matures, but he is clearly gifted and works very hard because you can't teach someone touch and feel. Given the same amount of practice as Brock has put into his shot, very few people would achieve the same success at making baskets as Brock. He has more God-given shooting skills than most. Can't wait to see what he looks like when he takes the floor for GU in November 2019 after another 900 days of working on his shot and all around basketball skills. Could be another Curry or could be a good backup guard, time will tell.

Reborn
06-24-2017, 10:42 AM
I just finished watching a video of his freshman year. This video shows his passing skills much more than his other one. The kid can pass (Pete Maravich).

I understand the concern about his shot not being over his head. But he is soooo young. He will get that shot up higher as he gets older. For right now the fact that he has that step back jumper really helps him get the shot off. The other fact is that he blows by his defenders so easily if they play up on him....So you will see his defenders playing off of him in order to protect him from driving.....as far as what I see that really isn't working for his defenders as he blows by them with ease. As one poster said, he dribbling skills are excellent too. He varies his speed a lot to keep defenders off balance, and has a good head fake hesitation move which also keeps them off guard also. I'd like to see him at least 2 more inches.

GorgeZag
06-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Whats great is when people say "trust Few" for HS recruits, but then question why we are looking at grad transfers. Shouldn't you trust him for both?

doctorzag
06-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Bingo.

doctorzag
06-24-2017, 11:16 AM

Why does that matter??

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 12:10 PM
You are seriously questioning a coaching staff that just took a team that plays in a non-P5 conference to the championship game? Your inability to self reflect is utterly astounding.

Chill out Spy, point is even Bill Belicheck makes mistakes.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 12:13 PM

Way more than two.

sittingon50
06-24-2017, 12:15 PM
There is enough tape on this kid to evaluate him. You may personally not have the expertise and wish to stay close to the staff's pick, on this one. But some of us do have the expertise to evaluate.

Remember when people on this forum were adamant about the DE mock draft being indicative of what would happen for Zach in the draft? I believe there was a rebuttal to that position that ended up being right.

Not being on a staff or with an organization doesn't mean you don't have the expertise. As of right now...Brock Ravet isn't even at Raivio status.

True, but Raivio is in his 30's & been playing professionally for years. Maybe we could give this kid a little more time, just to be fair.

doctorzag
06-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Way more than two.

Imagine if we were recruiting Dickau now? Too slow,too short, too white. Crazycoach would have a field day ripping him apart.

doctorzag
06-24-2017, 12:49 PM

If there is one person on this board with no expertise its crazycoach who posts such nonsense that any rational thinking person can tell is garbage. CrazyCoach isn`t even at Wildman status.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 01:05 PM

Agreed, and I even mentioned that. But if New England patriots fans on a New England Patriots fan message board consistently questioned move after move that he made it would be a little absurd, no?

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Bingo.

When did I say I didn't like Wade or Raivio? Also, I don't hate anyone. Critiquing someone's game does not constitute hate. If you don't have the understanding for what I am saying, please ask for clarification. Don't make someone into a monolith because you're not in the mood for intellectual stamina.

bartruff1
06-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Whats great is when people say "trust Few" for HS recruits, but then question why we are looking at grad transfers. Shouldn't you trust him for both?

I do

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 01:12 PM
True, but Raivio is in his 30's & been playing professionally for years. Maybe we could give this kid a little more time, just to be fair.

I'm talking about Raivio's time at GU. Why would I would be referencing a Derek Raivio in his 30's?

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Agreed, and I even mentioned that. But if New England patriots fans on a New England Patriots fan message board consistently questioned move after move that he made it would be a little absurd, no?

Questioned move after move? You need to spend more time reading. Please stop misrepresenting what people say here.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 01:35 PM

No attempt here to throw the well deserved COY out with the bath water. Just commentary on some micro events, and a general frustration that the wonderful F4 experience has not yet produced a bounty of results with respect to recruits.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 01:54 PM
No attempt here to throw the well deserved COY out with the bath water. Just commentary on some micro events, and a general frustration that the wonderful F4 experience has not yet produced a bounty of results with respect to recruits.

How do we know it hasn't produced results? Besides I don't care how we get them I care that they're good. And we have a proven method of success.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2017, 01:59 PM
How do we know it hasn't produced results? Besides I don't care how we get them I care that they're good. And we have a proven method of success.

This comment leads me to believe you are not really interested in a discussion among many posters with varied opinions. Out.

Markburn1
06-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Jazz used the word yet. And I agree. I think we were all looking for more four star recruits along with a five. Gonzaga may well see that, but so far it hasn't come to fruition. It's possible some of the elite recruits are looking at the championship game as a one off. I'm pretty sure Few and company will have to continually prove they belong. Probably will never be Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc. but it wouldn't surprise me to see more four and five star recruits in the near future.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2017, 02:04 PM
This comment leads me to believe you are not really interested in a discussion among many posters with varied opinions. Out.

Huh? You said that our final four appearance, (and by the way I think we should always say championship game appearance, it sort of diminishes how far we went), hasnt reaped any recruiting results and I said how do you know. Sometimes it takes a year or two afterwards to see the benefits. Not sure what got your panties in a bunch about what I wrote.:confused::confused:

Coach Crazy
06-24-2017, 02:16 PM

I would hope for more. But I am glad they understand the situation and are adjusting. This staff has shown the ability to adapt. They may just end up going the RC Buford route. While I would like to see more 5's and McD's, kids like Joel Ayayi can still turn into NBA players.

I would take Brandon Williams in a heartbeat, but in some ways a player like Joel Ayayi will add more value to the program...if he pans out.

Unfortunately, you don't always find an environment where a critique can be compartmentalized the way it should, by observers.

Markburn1
06-24-2017, 02:32 PM
I would hope for more. But I am glad they understand the situation and are adjusting. This staff has shown the ability to adapt. They may just end up going the RC Buford route. While I would like to see more 5's and McD's, kids like Joel Ayayi can still turn into NBA players.

I would take Brandon Williams in a heartbeat, but in some ways a player like Joel Ayayi will add more value to the program...if he pans out.

Unfortunately, you don't always find an environment where a critique can be compartmentalized the way it should, by observers.

Coach, I would add to your critique a general skepticism of players that score at the rate that Brock has up to this point. If you watch the highlights, his best passes come when there is no other option. Lots of times that causes the recipient of the pass to have to attempt a less than optimal shot. The highlights show Brock dominating the ball to the point that his teammates are standing around watching. That could be a result of Brock getting no resistance, but I would like to see him develop a team mentality that adds a dimension to his scoring mentality. Perhaps the coaches have seen that in him by watching him in person at his games and the scrimmages. He has a ways to go, but he does have a lot of time to improve. Too early to call him a great find. Too early to say he won't work out. I wish him all the best.

bartruff1
06-24-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't understand why a FF would automatically lead to significantly better recruits.....??? Did that happen at Butler or any other mid major that made the NC game ?? Spokane is still Spokane..... the WCC is still the WCC....Gonzaga is still Gonzaga....

Kentucky hasn't suffered from not advancing....nor Duke...nor UCLA....or Arizona... did Washington ?? I suspect the same schools that dominate the " best recruiting class" will still dominate for a variety of factors, including where they are located....

Portland had a top twenty recruiting class for 2017...

Bogozags
06-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Going back to George Mason, VCU, and Butler...their FF appearances did not make recruiting 4* and 5* any more successful and I don't believe that our FF is going to make any difference either.

I do hope that our FF WILL prove me wrong but like someone else said, Spokane is Spokane and the WCC is still the WCC...Every 4* and 5* recruit knows about GU and what it has accomplished over nearly two decades but it is next to impossible to get them on campus for a visit.

Tommy has had great success abroad and I just hope he is extremely happy at GU and doesn't have the ambition to take a HC job anywhere else except for GU...without the Canadians, Euro's and Rui from Japan, he has brought in for us, it would have been difficult to have tasted all the success we have experienced.

Let's just be happy being a good sized fish in a big fish pond and continue to maintain the steady success we have enjoyed to date...

Markburn1
06-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Going back to George Mason, VCU, and Butler...their FF appearances did not make recruiting 4* and 5* any more successful and I don't believe that our FF is going to make any difference either.

I do hope that our FF WILL prove me wrong but like someone else said, Spokane is Spokane and the WCC is still the WCC...Every 4* and 5* recruit knows about GU and what it has accomplished over nearly two decades but it is next to impossible to get them on campus for a visit.

Tommy has had great success abroad and I just hope he is extremely happy at GU and doesn't have the ambition to take a HC job anywhere else except for GU...without the Canadians, Euro's and Rui from Japan, he has brought in for us, it would have been difficult to have tasted all the success we have experienced.

Let's just be happy being a good sized fish in a big fish pond and continue to maintain the steady success we have enjoyed to date...

Those situations were different in that the coaching staff that got them there did not stick around. Coach Few is here for the long haul.

maynard g krebs
06-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I have no problem when someone questions a decision that the coaching staff makes. I just want to talk about Brock Ravet and why I'm extremely excited to have him as a future Zag.

I honestly feel like I'm watching different footage than some of you when it comes to this kid. There are certain attributes that should almost be unquestionable when it comes to Ravet, I mean we're talking about a guy who's on pace to be the all-time leading scorer in Washington high-school basketball HISTORY. Scream lower level league all you want, but you don't accomplish that feat without having some serious skills.

Say whatever you want about his release, there's no doubt Ravet can shoot the lights out. He's putting up 30+ points a game and his highlights consistently show him knocking down shots off the dribble from Steph Curry range with ease. His ball-handling, in my eye, appears to be elite, and that's not a conclusion that I usually draw from watching 6 minutes worth of film. The phrase 'ball on a string' comes to mind when watching him (view :40 and 1:12 of http://www.hudl.com/v/1wWAY6). There's one instance in his highlights where he slips on a wet spot, keeps his dribble, and still manages to recover and take his defender off the bounce. Which brings me to my next observation, this kid does not appear to be strictly 'just a shooter'. While he doesn't possess elite level explosiveness, he appears to be very quick and has the kind of shake in his game that gets defenders off balance. He's not throwing down many in game dunks at this stage, but I see a very crafty finisher around the rim who's capable of finishing with either hand. I actually saw more of an ability to get to the rim in his highlights than in Jesse Wade's at the same stage (take that for what you will), as there are multiple instances where he blows by his defender with a quick first step.

It's hard to say much about his passing by just going off his highlights, but he throws several in the video that showcase high level ability and would make Josh Perkins proud. One of my favorite elements of his profile is that despite his height (probably about 6'1 at this stage) he appears to have a very good wingspan (my guess would be about 6'5). 'Shorter' point guards of the past like Dickau or Pangos have had similar height, but also quite small wingspans at their position. Ravet may not be done growing, but his length should allow him to play bigger than his size and hopefully are an encouraging sign of his defensive potential.

I could go on, but long story short, I am thrilled to have this kid on board. There's always some question about how players like Ravet who play in less talented high school leagues will adjust at the next level, but, like Corey Kispert, I think this kid is a cut above and should do great things. If he gets the chance to play some quality competition in front of talent evaluators over the summer, I think he will really start to blow up.

I'm with you on most of this. I see instincts for the game that can't be taught. Think it's on Maxpreps that says he has a 35" vert as well. Also says he shot 47%, and I'd guess a lot of his attempts are 3's.

As to level of play, I remember the questions about Ryan Spangler playing at a similar level in Okla. At the time he was signed, I said when a guy puts up that kind of numbers, you have to be good to do that regardless of who you are playing against.

Watching the videos, I'm seeing something special too.

sittingon50
06-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm talking about Raivio's time at GU. Why would I would be referencing a Derek Raivio in his 30's?

You wouldn't Coach. Just trying to help keep things cooler (a.k.a. have a little fun) on such a hot day.

P.S.
Big fan of Raivio. Think he may just be the most underrated Zag in the "modern era."

Bogozags
06-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Those situations were different in that the coaching staff that got them there did not stick around. Coach Few is here for the long haul.

Each of those coaches remained with their respective university for at least two more years and in those two+ years their FF successes did not parley into above average recruiting.

I hope the past doesn't repeat itself

cggonzaga
06-24-2017, 05:22 PM
I'm with you on most of this. I see instincts for the game that can't be taught. Think it's on Maxpreps that says he has a 35" vert as well. Also says he shot 47%, and I'd guess a lot of his attempts are 3's.

As to level of play, I remember the questions about Ryan Spangler playing at a similar level in Okla. At the time he was signed, I said when a guy puts up that kind of numbers, you have to be good to do that regardless of who you are playing against.

Watching the videos, I'm seeing something special too.

Watched him play yesterday morning again against Ferris. Scored 10-12 points. Ferris will probably be top 3 in the GSL this upcoming season and probably has one of the best defensive guards in the league. When he was guarding Ravet I think he scored 1 bucket. I'm just not understanding this one but time will tell.

23dpg
06-24-2017, 07:20 PM
I don't understand why a FF would automatically lead to significantly better recruits.....??? Did that happen at Butler or any other mid major that made the NC game ?? Spokane is still Spokane..... the WCC is still the WCC....Gonzaga is still Gonzaga....

Kentucky hasn't suffered from not advancing....nor Duke...nor UCLA....or Arizona... did Washington ?? I suspect the same schools that dominate the " best recruiting class" will still dominate for a variety of factors, including where they are located....

Portland had a top twenty recruiting class for 2017...

This statement has been repeated on here frequently and is absolutely false. Their 2017 isn't even top 50, it's much lower. There was one site that had them 17th. It was from a "pay to rank us" site.

Here is a composite top 50 ranking. http://usatodayhss.com/2017/usa-today-sports-2017-composite-team-boys-basketball-recruiting-rankings

As for the lack of 4-5 star recruits for GU, I get the angst and am slightly disappointed myself. Time will tell. Best of luck for all who do come to Spokane.

soccerdud
06-24-2017, 07:54 PM

hey hey hey, let's not casually throw around accusations of reverse-abeism.

doctorzag
06-24-2017, 08:07 PM
hey hey hey, let's not casually throw around accusations of reverse-abeism.

Your not a jerk at all are you.

MickMick
06-24-2017, 08:16 PM
As far as I'm concerned, he passes the eye test.

That kid is a scoring machine.

maynard g krebs
06-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Watched him play yesterday morning again against Ferris. Scored 10-12 points. Ferris will probably be top 3 in the GSL this upcoming season and probably has one of the best defensive guards in the league. When he was guarding Ravet I think he scored 1 bucket. I'm just not understanding this one but time will tell.

I could easily be wrong on this one; just seen a couple of 4 min videos. Saw a lot of stuff I liked, and I tend to trust the evals of the coaches based on past history, but I'm far from an expert, and they've been far from 100% too.

I also agree w/ most of the opinions you've posted, and you've seen him a lot more than I have. Guess time will tell. Projecting his development, given his 300+ maxpreps rating, is certainly iffy.

soccerdud
06-24-2017, 08:32 PM
Your not a jerk at all are you.

nice to meet you, pot. they call me kettle (and other, worse, things). i think we have much in common. lets get a drink sometime.

edit: haaaaay, "pot" isn't ridiculously bleeped out anymore. cool.

cggonzaga
06-24-2017, 09:50 PM
I could easily be wrong on this one; just seen a couple of 4 min videos. Saw a lot of stuff I liked, and I tend to trust the evals of the coaches based on past history, but I'm far from an expert, and they've been far from 100% too.

I also agree w/ most of the opinions you've posted, and you've seen him a lot more than I have. Guess time will tell. Projecting his development, given his 300+ maxpreps rating, is certainly iffy.

I would certainly prefer to be wrong and I hope I am. I also agree 100% I will defer to the staff when it comes to who they recruit. And to be clear, I see a good player just not GU good.

bartruff1
06-25-2017, 01:40 AM
This statement has been repeated on here frequently and is absolutely false. Their 2017 isn't even top 50, it's much lower. There was one site that had them 17th. It was from a "pay to rank us" site.

Here is a composite top 50 ranking. http://usatodayhss.com/2017/usa-today-sports-2017-composite-team-boys-basketball-recruiting-rankings

As for the lack of 4-5 star recruits for GU, I get the angst and am slightly disappointed myself. Time will tell. Best of luck for all who do come to Spokane.

Well, it might be wrong but it is not false....it is true that Portland was rated #17 by Hoop Scoop.....

Coach Crazy
06-25-2017, 06:55 AM

I do not see the what others are posting about his video. There are times where you have a Corey Kispert type that can play at a lower level but still develop be a high major player. This kid doesn't yet have some of the physical makeup, style, and skill set to be that type of player.

When a defensive player at Brock's high school level can essentially hedge him to the baseline on an attempted dribble drive penetration, for example, I have a problem with that. Could he overcome everything and become a GU caliber player? Sure. Any is technically possible. But I don't deal in gambles like that. Trying to make a rule out of an exception leads to failure.

Reborn
06-25-2017, 07:01 AM
I do not see the what others are posting about his video. There are times where you have a Corey Kispert type that can play at a lower level but still develop be a high major player. This kid doesn't yet have some of the physical makeup, style, and skill set to be that type of player.

When a defensive player at Brock's high school level can essentially hedge him to the baseline on an attempted dribble drive penetration, for example, I have a problem with that. Could he overcome everything and become a GU caliber player? Sure. Any is technically possible. But I don't deal in gambles like that. Trying to make a rule out of an exception leads to failure.

I'll stick with the evaluation that Mark Few and his staff did on Ravet. Oh! And mine too. lol Sorry coach.

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2017, 09:49 AM

How did I miss this gem? lol

maynard g krebs
06-25-2017, 10:21 AM
I don't deal in gambles like that. Trying to make a rule out of an exception leads to failure.

Well, the logical extrapolation from that is that you're predicting failure for Gonzaga basketball, which has now been succeeding mightily for two decades by making just this kind of gamble.

This kid does some stuff that can't be taught, or quantified by all the "rtg"s in the world. It may or may not work out- pretty strong divisions of opinion here as to how good he can be-. but imo it's worth taking a chance, as they did with 200+ rated when offered Adam Morrison.

Thirteen roster spots, and you need 7 or 8 really good players. You can afford to take some chances, and taking those chances when you identify some special talent in a kid who isn't considered elite is a big part of the Zags' success. I'll still go w/ the coaches on this one.

soccerdud
06-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Well, the logical extrapolation from that is that you're predicting failure for Gonzaga basketball, which has now been succeeding mightily for two decades by making just this kind of gamble.

you can take it one step farther. gonzaga basketball going to 19 straight ncaa tournaments is the very definition of taking an exception and turning it into a rule.

Coach Crazy
06-25-2017, 11:40 AM

This kid does some stuff that can't be taught, or quantified by all the "rtg"s in the world.

No. It would only be logical if I called into question the idea of taking chances or projecting at all. Taking chances must happen. Gambling on a player you don't think is going to pan out simply because you hope he might overcome glaring weaknesses is going to get you fired and a program failing.

I'm working under the assumption that I can be correct in my assessment of players. Some here are working under the assumption that no matter what they or others might see, the coaching staff should be trusted in every scenario. Or some are proficient and simply defer to the coaching staff. I don't have as much problem with the latter, as long as one stays in their lane and doesn't try to assess critiques from others. Otherwise, both of those are appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy.

I'm going to use hyperbole, but it will illustrate the point fairly, as some here are unwilling to acknowledge more subtle nuance. If Mark Few signed a paraplegic, would you trust that the player was going to work out? That somehow the kid would produce?

Of course not. And if you're thinking "duh, Coach", that's an obvious one, and wouldn't happen. You're right. It wouldn't. But in that example is the point that some here are able to critique nuance and produce a projected result. Not because we don't trust the coaching staff, not because we bet against the program. Not because we hate the kids. Because we see an unfavorable result.

And yes....*Everyone*, absolutely *everyone* gets it wrong at some point. And some in stretches. Even the Phil Jackson has been awful with the Knicks. But some of us have the audacity and the confidence to be right. I've missed on some and I have absolutely nailed some. You don't have to join the party, but don't pee on the fire.

2wiceright
06-25-2017, 01:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned, he passes the eye test.

That kid is a scoring machine.

Offensively his release and ability to score from anywhere reminds me a little of (I hate this name!) Delly.... I guess we'll all see:horse:

maynard g krebs
06-25-2017, 02:36 PM
No. It would only be logical if I called into question the idea of taking chances or projecting at all. Taking chances must happen. Gambling on a player you don't think is going to pan out simply because you hope he might overcome glaring weaknesses is going to get you fired and a program failing.

I'm working under the assumption that I can be correct in my assessment of players. Some here are working under the assumption that no matter what they or others might see, the coaching staff should be trusted in every scenario. Or some are proficient and simply defer to the coaching staff. I don't have as much problem with the latter, as long as one stays in their lane and doesn't try to assess critiques from others. Otherwise, both of those are appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy.

I'm going to use hyperbole, but it will illustrate the point fairly, as some here are unwilling to acknowledge more subtle nuance. If Mark Few signed a paraplegic, would you trust that the player was going to work out? That somehow the kid would produce?

Of course not. And if you're thinking "duh, Coach", that's an obvious one, and wouldn't happen. You're right. It wouldn't. But in that example is the point that some here are able to critique nuance and produce a projected result. Not because we don't trust the coaching staff, not because we bet against the program. Not because we hate the kids. Because we see an unfavorable result.

And yes....*Everyone*, absolutely *everyone* gets it wrong at some point. And some in stretches. Even the Phil Jackson has been awful with the Knicks. But some of us have the audacity and the confidence to be right. I've missed on some and I have absolutely nailed some. You don't have to join the party, but don't pee on the fire.

You said, and I quote, "But I don't deal with gambles like that. Trying to make A rule out of AN exception (caps mine) leads to failure".

That's what I'd call an absolute statement, and what I was responding to.

Then, you contradicted yourself by saying "taking chances must happen". And the sentence following that is a non sequitur, as the coaches aren't gambling on a player THEY don't think is gonna work out; it's YOU that thinks that.

Also seems to me that you're the one pissing on the fire, to borrow your metaphor.

I'd also suggest you lower the condescension level, just a bit.

Have a nice day.

Coach Crazy
06-25-2017, 03:01 PM
You said, and I quote, "But I don't deal with gambles like that. Trying to make A rule out of AN exception (caps mine) leads to failure".

That's what I'd call an absolute statement, and what I was responding to.

Then, you contradicted yourself by saying "taking chances must happen". And the sentence following that is a non sequitur, as the coaches aren't gambling on a player THEY don't think is gonna work out; it's YOU that thinks that.

Also seems to me that you're the one pissing on the fire, to borrow your metaphor.

I'd also suggest you lower the condescension level, just a bit.

Have a nice day.

I didn't contradict myself. You took my statement out of context. If you look at my breakdown's of players, I do in fact talk about player needs, even for players I like. I do not believe that there is no risk in signing a player I like. I never said that directly, nor implied implied it.

Admitting that anything is possible doesn't mean I think it's probable. Nor that it's an advisable standard for risk. It's also possible to win the lottery 10 times in a row, but I wouldn't go out and buy lottery tickets on based on that "possibility".

I'm not looking for any contention. I've gotten personally attacked for making basketball statements. Seek to understand, please.

Also, this is a message board. If all we're going to do is play the "well, the staff says so...sooooo" card, then what are we doing here?

hooter73
06-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Ah the reminder of why to stay off the boards in the off season has come early this year.

I'm not a fan of heavy handed modding, but instead of just a lock could someone maybe clean this crap up and get it off of the recruit threads?

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-25-2017, 03:21 PM
But some of us have the audacity and the confidence to be right. I've missed on some and I have absolutely nailed some. You don't have to join the party, but don't pee on the fire.

I've generally appreciated and respected your opinions here on GUBoards Coach Crazy, but your "audacity and confidence to be right" comment makes me laugh out loud and undermines any credibility you had imho.

JPtheBeasta
06-25-2017, 06:00 PM
It seems like if GU wants bench depth in the form of a knock down shooter that they can run off of screens and maybe even run some plays for, then why not? Does he have a good enough handle to get them into their offense? We know he can shoot, so if he can get his shot off against taller, more athletic players then the Zags could use him. He doesn't appear to be an elite athletic talent but, assuming Wade is the PG of the future, he could spell Wade without having to change what they do on offense much.

ZagNative
06-25-2017, 07:25 PM
This thread has gone horribly bad. Apologies to Brock's family and friends ...

GoZags
06-25-2017, 07:29 PM

Agree 100 percent.

JPtheBeasta
06-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Agree 100 percent.

+1

I just realized that the comment I made above in an attempt to support him might come across as unintentionally critical, and sells him short. I hadn't seen the tournament video that was posted yet. His alleged poor form is belied by his ability to shoot effortlessly from NBA range. I was basically making a shot-put when I tried to shoot from that far out at his age. He also showed handles that were good enough to make a kid do the splits at the top of the key. He is crafty going to the hoop and can spin it up there off the glass. In the limited data provided, he appears to have good feel for the game. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Zags uniform.

Proudzagmom
06-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Thank you, Zagnative. I'm excited for this young man and Gonzaga. You'll see!

Zagdawg
06-25-2017, 09:57 PM
+2

Happy he is a Zag.

ZagaZags
06-25-2017, 10:29 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/C378Q4pZ1dSog/giphy.gif

MDABE80
06-25-2017, 10:32 PM
No no............ZN's quite correct in her thoughts.There have been some kids in the past who read the boards. Their parents did too. The kids were so offended that they didn't go to the

school that chose them. In the past on this board, thee have been a few parents who wrote me to see why some ( a few ) on the board were so offensive toward their kids.
Given this background it might be prudent to comment on basketball but not use the board beyond that. Personal things, demeaning things....usually are not encouraged. It's hard to expect a parent to be enthusiastic for their kids to come here when the negative comments are so cutting.

ZagaZags
06-25-2017, 11:01 PM
No no............ZN's quite correct in her thoughts.There have been some kids in the past who read the boards. Their parents did too. The kids were so offended that they didn't go to the

school that chose them. In the past on this board, thee have been a few parents who wrote me to see why some ( a few ) on the board were so offensive toward their kids.
Given this background it might be prudent to comment on basketball but not use the board beyond that. Personal things, demeaning things....usually are not encouraged. It's hard to expect a parent to be enthusiastic for their kids to come here when the negative comments are so cutting.

I'm sure Zach Collins dad had some good input for David Singleton's father for what to expect at Gonzaga. I'm shocked he chose UCLA.

kitzbuel
06-26-2017, 03:05 AM
Good Lord, yes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Birddog
06-26-2017, 04:20 AM

Bingo ZN, some of the regulars here really know how to roll out the "welcome mat". The vainglory demonstrated by several posters on multiple threads is over the top, but I guess saying that is redundant, my bad.

Zagdawg
06-26-2017, 06:13 AM
Same feedback he gave to Chase Jeter I am sure.

WallaWallaZag
06-26-2017, 06:35 AM
I've generally appreciated and respected your opinions here on GUBoards Coach Crazy, but your "audacity and confidence to be right" comment makes me laugh out loud and undermines any credibility you had imho.

i've got to agree with flex on this one...while i fully respect crazy's basketball knowledge, this just screams arrogance and immaturity

Worthington
06-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Personally, I have no problem when posters share their critiques of players, but a few comments on this thread crossed the line into disrespectful territory in my opinion.

I think we can all agree that some of the best players in program history probably would have some of the same things said about them that Brock Ravet's critics have said about him if they were being recruited today. Regardless, we're all going to be cheering him on during the rest of his high school career and hoping for the best in his development. I think we've got a good one, time will tell if he can be up there with some of the greats.

TexasZagFan
06-26-2017, 09:00 AM

Jazz, Belicheck was just another guy until Tom Brady arrived on the scene. His record at Cleveland was hardly HOF worthy. Dak may end up doing the same thing for Jason Garrett.

MDABE80
06-26-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry but this is humorous to me. You all think very highly of the power of this board. If this has anything to do with a kid's or family's decision then I'm not sure I'd want them at GU anyways. You think this board is bad? Check out others across the country and get back to me. No athlete would go to college anywhere if they read message boards. And you're one to talk Abe! Josh Perkins's dad has IM'd you than?

No no Cgg. no weaseling. When I've criticized Josh, it's because of his play here at GU. I've always said he's in the wrong position at a PG. Instead, I've always liked Josh in the SG roll.
You, however, aren't giving brock a chance.......before he's even showed up. Quite different. No matter, What I wrote above is accurate.
Offending kids and their parents by throwing shade before we've even seen him is to be avoided.

ZaggyZaggerson
06-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Mini-Raivio.

TexasZagFan
06-26-2017, 10:13 AM
No no Cgg. no weaseling. When I've criticized Josh, it's because of his play here at GU. I've always said he's in the wrong position at a PG. Instead, I've always liked Josh in the SG roll.
You, however, aren't giving brock a chance.......before he's even showed up. Quite different. No matter, What I wrote above is accurate.
Offending kids and their parents by throwing shade before we've even seen him is to be avoided.

I'm surprised Josh's dad didn't IM you when you kept calling him "Jenks". :lmao:

Really looking forward to meeting you in next month.

It takes a special parent to raise a kid right nowadays. My stepfather, RIP, loved to mess with my head, to teach me how to take a joke. A couple of my mom's aunts thought he was horrible, but I learned to not take it personally.

I've backed away from that approach with my kids. Sure, I kid them, but not as pointedly as my stepfather did to me. It's a different era, and improperly delivered verbiage can leave invisible welts. Shoot, there are cousins on my wife's side that haven't forgiven me for a couple of remarks I made at an inter-family softball game 25+ years ago.

I have no issues with pointing out where a player can improve on his game, such as J3 and his FT woes. My objection comes when it gets personal. Over the past couple of years, Josh and Silas have been the two most singled out on these boards. I couldn't believe some of the comments made about Zach Collins when he declared for the draft, a decision that proved to be the right one for him.

My kids have never been more than bench warmers, "C" teamers. They're good kids, productive citizens. I saw the other side during the Dance when my Dukie coworker made his comments about my son. I can only imagine what it must be like for the parents of the young men who represent our alma mater so ably and honorably.

Ok, I've had my say. Welcome Brock!

maynard g krebs
06-26-2017, 11:32 AM
I was a fan of Dan Dickau three years before he played a game for Gonzaga. Bought a season ticket his fr year after seeing him in their preseason exh game v a traveling club team. Attended all but a couple of his UW games.

Dan was a fairly highly rated hs player; 14th on the Best in the West team (LB Press-Telegram) and # 25 pg nationally on one site, so probably ranked somewhere in the lower end of the top 150 by consensus.

He had offers from Stanford and UW among others, but was hardly an elite recruit. In one story I read, he said he had received advice that he should go to a mid major league because of his size and body type, and that he would have problems v high major competition athletically. He said he chose UW because he wanted to try to compete at the highest level possible, or words to that effect. (Paraphrasing memory from 20 yrs ago).

With the caveat that you never know for sure from video highlights, I see a lot of similarity btw Brock and the YOUNG Dickau, 3 years before most of you started watching him. Ball handling, vision. passing, deep shooting range, natural scoring instinct.

Feel for the game. This staff's ability to see that in lower rated players is the main thing that put the program on the map in the days before more elite talent started to arrive.

Will he get there? Who knows. But he has a shot (no pun intended). That's what the staff sees imo. Well worth a shot. 30 ppg from a hs fr on any level says a lot. I see an instinct for the game that can't be taught. Same instinct I saw in Dickau as a UW fr.

NotoriousZ
06-26-2017, 11:51 AM
Welcome Brock!

We should probably start a new welcoming thread. Criticizing the players and coaching staff understandably happens quite frequently here, and I've been guilty of that from time to time (sorry). But posting negative comments about a kid before he's signed is the worst thing you can do here IMO, that is if you consider yourself a fan of GU.

MDABE80
06-26-2017, 11:54 AM
My bad Abe, wayyyy different scenario. So it's only ok to slam a kid once he's arrived at GU? I get it now. :explode:

Also, show me where I don't give the kid a chance or verbally attacked him? I've pointed out what I've seen watching the kid on multiple occasions in person, not just watching highlight videos. I don't believe anything I said was mean or personally attacked the kid. I also stated on multiple posts I would be happy to eat my comments and hope he proves me wrong and am glad he's now a Zag. I've also stated in Zag staff I trust.

You can say what you want ( and will from prior experience) but criticizing a kid who's in the wrong position but praising him when he finds the right position and excels...is OK.
You're weaseling. it is NOT ok to go after a fresh recruit. I repeat:It's NOT ok. I've never done that. Josh gets no criticism from me outside of losing the ball twice when the second half started a play or two like that is fair game. you bet. Just shows he's a way better SG than a PG bringing the ball up.

Way to derail a thread though. Nice job.

MDABE80
06-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Welcome Brock!

We should probably start a new welcoming thread. Criticizing the players and coaching staff understandably happens quite frequently here, and I've been guilty of that from time to time (sorry). But posting negative comments about a kid before he's signed is the worst thing you can do here IMO, that is if you consider yourself a fan of GU.
This in SPADES.!!! got the point yet CGG?

TheOtherGreatOne
06-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Welcome Brock, I am looking forward to watching you develop into the best you can be. This is an excellent place for you to reach your full potential, just look at what this staff did with Kyle Wiltjer, they developed him into an all-American.

willandi
06-26-2017, 12:31 PM
ensus.

In one story I read, he said he had received advice that he should go to a mid major league because of his size and body type, and that he would have problems v high major competition athletically. He said he chose UW because he wanted to try to compete at the highest level possible, or words to that effect. .

Lucky he transferred to GU so he could pursue his dream of competing against the best..especially post season.

Kiddwell
06-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Thinking back on this year's NCAA Dance, maybe some of the guards on opponent teams reminded GU's coaching staff of Brock. In particular, I'm thinking of Northwestern's Bryant McIntosh. He's a bit taller than Brock, but Brock seems to have the same "sniper's" knack for shooting. (Referencing McIntosh's body of work for the whole season, not just his game vs GU.)

Happy you're aboard, Brock!

:000tens:

:]