PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Draft Thread

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Domantas Sabonis‏Verified account @Dsabonis11 1m1 minute ago
Wishing goodluck to everyone and especially to my Zags tonight!!! #NBADraft #ZagUp #ThunderUp ⚡️

strikenowhere
06-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Spurs looking to dump Aldridge for a top-10 pick....would be nice to see Collins land there!

sittingon50
06-22-2017, 09:22 AM
A day after the NHL awards were announced I'm hoping for a hat trick for the Zags tonight!

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Stephen Zimmerman Jr‏Verified account
@BIGG_ZIMM
I got a lot of boys in this draft but I have to give a special good luck to @zcollins_33 your dreams come true tonight ����

silas .‏
@KampaignSilas
Big day for @ZagMBB. Good luck to the brodies @zcollins_33 @NigelWG5 @PKarnowski !!!!

Domantas Sabonis‏Verified account
@Dsabonis11
Wishing goodluck to everyone and especially to my Zags tonight!!! #NBADraft #ZagUp #ThunderUp ⚡️

Nigel Williams-Goss‏Verified account @NigelWG5 2h2 hours ago
No matter what happens today this is only one day and another step in my journey. Good or bad my marathon is far from over. �� #GodSpeed

Rem Bakamus‏Verified account
@RemFifteen
Today's the day I've been waiting for my whole life. Looking forward to hearing my name get called #2017NBADraft

katman50
06-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Am hyped for the Zags in the draft. Where will Zach go? Top 10 or maybe sneak into the top 5? When will Nigel's number come up? Middle of the second round? I hope. Last but not least, will Shem get drafted. I am excited for all of them and wish them the best.

Zags_Fanatic
06-22-2017, 09:57 AM
A day after the NHL awards were announced I'm hoping for a hat trick for the Zags tonight!

Nice to see Spokane's own Derek Ryan nominated last night even if he didn't take the award.

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Rem Bakamus and Sam Adams liked
Kyle Wiltjer‏Verified account @kwiltj 2h2 hours ago
To all those in the draft, getting drafted isn't the end all. You can get a great opportunity somewhere as an undrafted free agent! ����

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Kelly Olynyk‏Verified account @KellyOlynyk 13m13 minutes ago

Good luck to my zags in the draft tonight! @ZagMBB keep ridin the wave �� �� #ZagUp #NBAdraft

tinfoilzag
06-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Who goes first? Zach Collins or Lauri Markkanen

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Dan Dickau‏ @dandickau21 25m25 minutes ago

I remember 15 years ago sitting at my parents house waiting for my name to be called in 2002 @NBA Draft good luck @zcollins_33 @NigelWG5

ZagNative
06-22-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm tracking the draft picks on CBS' site: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/drafttracker

Watching on ESPN, Comcast #173.

Oh, boy.... this is going to be a long night. Way too much jawing already....

Bogozags
06-22-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm tracking the draft picks on CBS' site: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/drafttracker

Watching on ESPN, Comcast #173.

Oh, boy.... this is going to be a long night. Way too much jawing already....

All that jawing...trying to sell advertising...I'll just left the room to come here...and watch on espy internet...

From what I have heard, ZC should go top ten and praying for the other three!

jazzdelmar
06-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Ho-hum. Boring so far, set in stone weeks ago.

Coach Crazy
06-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Dennis Smith is a steal at 9. Zach should have gone higher than the other two big's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinfoilzag
06-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Looks like #10 pick to Portland for Zach.

Coach Crazy
06-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Zach. To. Portland.

mtzaga
06-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Adam Silver can't pronounce Gonzaga.

ZagMan in Philly
06-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Zach. To. Portland.

interesting....

Mantua
06-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Congratulations Zach!

I liked the frank and relaxed approach to the interview. Top Ten!

CDC84
06-22-2017, 05:20 PM
It's obvious that Portland sees Zach as a 4. Zach's first main job is going to be learning how to guard without fouling. I suspect he will be relied upon more for his defense and shotblocking at the beginning.

It is my opinion and the opinion of many that Portland needs to trade Lillard or McCollum. Having two 6-3 guards against the better teams in the league is always going to be a massive hurdle for the Blazers in the playoffs. Too many defensive issues with that. They need to keep one guy and pair him with a tall guard. They might be able to get that tall guard just thru trading Lillard or McCollum.

CDC84
06-22-2017, 05:55 PM
TSN - high end picks in NBA draft are not justifying their hype:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2017-lottery-history-no-1-picks-all-nba-teams-hype-kyrie-irving-anthony-davis-john-wall/wajaqhy5xgq01uy442sbjjuj6

Some pretty good analysis, and a nice little dig at Fultz.

JPtheBeasta
06-22-2017, 06:07 PM
I couldn't be happier for Zach.

Mantua
06-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Five guys from Oregon are still waiting to hear their names called.

TexasZagFan
06-22-2017, 06:26 PM
I couldn't be happier for Zach.

Sacramento took a huge gamble, trading for a guy who has had acl's on both knees surgically repaired. Not sure they'll hold up over that 82 game schedule.

Portland is having an excellent night, by adding Zach and Swanigan.

seacatfan
06-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Sacramento took a huge gamble, trading for a guy who has had acl's on both knees surgically repaired. Not sure they'll hold up over that 82 game schedule.

Portland is having an excellent night, by adding Zach and Swanigan.

So glad it wasn't Portland taking a chance on a big man with a history of leg injuries in the first round. Been there, done that. More than once.

willandi
06-22-2017, 07:16 PM
Adam Silver can't pronounce Gonzaga.

Who is a damn Sliver?

Why is an 18 year old French player allowed to be drafted but 18 year olds here are not? I know he has been playing Euro ball professionally for a few years, but if 18 is old enough, it should be old enough. Shouldn't have to drop out of school to be drafted as an 18 year old. I would guess he had an alternative school set up, but why isn't 18, 18?

seacatfan
06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Dennis Smith is a steal at 9. Zach should have gone higher than the other two big's.

2 other bigs? I see a bunch of guys listed as SF and Markannen as a PF. Who am I missing? Anyway Markannen and Collins are such different players that I don't think it's a matter of who is better, more of a team drafting based on what they think they need. And Collins going #10 is pretty darn good. There were quite a few on this board that thought he was making a big mistake when he declared.

seacatfan
06-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Ivan Rabb becomes another poster child for why you should strike when the iron is hot. Probable at least mid first rounder last year, slips to early second round this year. But at least he came back to Cal for a fairly mediocre season for the Bears.

seacatfan
06-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Maybe he just doesn't project very well in the NBA, but surprised Dillon Brooks hasn't been picked up yet. I don't like him much, but dude is a baller. Could be a steal as a late 2nd rounder.

Maybe same story for NWG?

OZZY
06-22-2017, 07:46 PM
German Isaiah Hartenstein, who watched a lot of GU ball (and loved the way we play) from overseas before playing with Kevin Pangos last year at Zalgiris is grabbed at 43 by Houston.

Would have loved him to have gone to GU instead of playing pro...

btzag
06-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Pretty cool to see Brian Michelson there with the Collins family representing the Zags staff!

basketballzag
06-22-2017, 08:08 PM
NWG to Utah

Coach Crazy
06-22-2017, 08:10 PM
There it is. Looks like I'll be going to more Jazz games.

btzag
06-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Yes NWG!

ZagNative
06-22-2017, 08:11 PM
NWG with #55 to the Utah Jazz! Praise be!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2033.png_zpskucog77u.jpg

ZagNut08
06-22-2017, 08:12 PM
its the Zags not the Zogs, love it.

basketballzag
Karno getting ton of interest right now. He is a high demand Post draft sign

Bogozags
Yes NWG!

FANTASTIC!

Might this be another record, having two Zags drafted in the same draft?

Coach Crazy
06-22-2017, 08:19 PM

Good. Because he's not a fit for Atlanta.

23dpg
06-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Mathias Lessort was picked 50th overall by the 76ers. Espn said he was almost a Zag.

basketballzag
06-22-2017, 08:21 PM
It wouldn't shock to see 3 Zags make a roster this year. Mathews will be brought in as well but is likely headed to Europe.

Rem maybe opting for the big money internationally over the NBA.

ZagNative
06-22-2017, 08:31 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2034.png_zps8ozrqkio.jpg

ZagNative
06-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Thank goodness Nigel was drafted. I grew increasingly concerned the longer the draft went on without his name being called and I began to practice managing my disappointment, imagining Nigel's devastation at a sad end to his lifelong dream.

Life is good!

Now we just need to see a happy ending for Shem and Jordan ...

ezcure17
06-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Hey all Guess who plays each other on sat July 8th at the NBA summer league!!!! Yep Utah vs Portland!! How ironic right?? Awesome!!!

Mantua
06-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Hey all Guess who plays each other on sat July 8th at the NBA summer league!!!! Yep Utah vs Portland!! How ironic right?? Awesome!!!

Portland and Utah won't blackout Spokane broadcasts until the regular season starts, right?

Reborn
06-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Thank goodness Nigel was drafted. I grew increasingly concerned the longer the draft went on without his name being called and I began to practice managing my disappointment, imagining Nigel's devastation at a sad end to his lifelong dream.

Life is good!

Now we just need to see a happy ending for Shem and Jordan ...

I felt just like you, ZN/ I'm so grateful to Utah Jazza/

TexasZagFan
06-22-2017, 08:52 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2034.png_zps8ozrqkio.jpg

Utah's history with Zag point guards is, shall we say, prolific? LOL

sittingon50
06-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Congrats Zach & NWG. Great way to wrap a a very memorable year!!

Here's hopin' that Shem & Jordan can find a system (like Kyle did) that can use their talents.

:clap::clap:

Ekrub
06-22-2017, 09:02 PM
No Mika... Glad we don't have to deal with him next year.

GonzaGAW
06-22-2017, 09:18 PM
we knew Zach's name was going to be called, but so many of us were on pins and needles for nwg!
I'm so happy for both, congrats to each, it makes me (and zag nation) so proud to see good young men representing Gonzaga so well.

and p.k. and Jordan, we have not forgotten you two. good hunting and success in your future basketball endeavors, we will be tracking the both of you.

in the end its all good, I and many said we'd gladly forego an extra year with nwg and Zach, if it meant we got to the final four. school wins, fans win, players are justified in their decisions to leave. win, win, win.

Zag365
06-22-2017, 09:25 PM
FANTASTIC!

Might this be another record, having two Zags drafted in the same draft?

So happy to see Zach go in the top 10 and then NWG get his name called (should be a good personality fit with the Jazz).

This isn't the first time two Zags drafted in same year. Happened in 1971 with our two bigs - Bill Quigg and Howard Burford.

zagbeliever
06-22-2017, 10:25 PM
NWG with #55 to the Utah Jazz! Praise be!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2033.png_zpskucog77u.jpg

This makes me incredibly happy!

ZagaZags
06-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Portland fans not too thrilled about the Zach Collins pick/trade.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/6/22/15858128/2017-nba-draft-zach-collins-trail-blazers-trade-kings-10

Mantua
06-22-2017, 10:40 PM

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/6/22/15858128/2017-nba-draft-zach-collins-trail-blazers-trade-kings-10

What's with Seth Davis? Zach Collins doesn't have length????? I think there was only one guy in the draft with a longer wingspan. Zach's wingspan > LeBron's.

Mantua
06-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Tidbit: Oregon's Chris Boucher just signed with Golden State as an undrafted free agent. I'm glad for him after all the tough breaks he's had.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/06/chris_boucher_signs_with_golde.html

Jordan Bell also ended up at Golden State.

75Zag
06-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Zach Collins has tremendous up-side and the Blazers got a great player at the 10th position. They must think he is pretty special to trade TWO first round draft picks to get him. This also validates Zach's decision to leave GU early - he is going to be a very wealthy young man (and yes I know that money does not buy happiness etc etc etc zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Zach is going to have to deal with the fact that many Portland fans and media folks have become extremely grumpy and anxious as to why it has been 40 years since the Blazers won their last NBA Championship. The Blazers have a number of weaknesses and drafting Zach does not guaranty Portland will be playing for the NBA Championship next June, but the Oregonian sports reporters are looking for someone to blame, so I hope Zach has a thick skin. Looking forward to watching him mature. Oregonian fan comments tonight are brutal, but hopefully Zach can paste hundred dollar bills all over his computer screen and not read the comments.

Go Bulldogs and Congratulations Zach Collins!!!

CDC84
06-23-2017, 12:12 AM
As someone mentioned on this board.....if Matthew Dellavedova can play in the NBA, so can Nigel Williams Goss. I am not wearing Zag-colored shades when I say this: NWG is the better all around player on both ends. I also feel some scouts are out control with their assessment of his athleticism. It will be a liability in the NBA, but some of these guys act as if he has his feet in cement. If he were that slow, he wouldn't have been able to defend as well as he did his JR year at Gonzaga against good teams.

Not a surprise that Shem didn't get picked, but he's going to make big bucks in Europe. No need to cry in your beer over him.

Bogozags
06-23-2017, 02:35 AM
So happy to see Zach go in the top 10 and then NWG get his name called (should be a good personality fit with the Jazz).

This isn't the first time two Zags drafted in same year. Happened in 1971 with our two bigs - Bill Quigg and Howard Burford.

Yes you are right...let me restate by saying the first time two Zags have been chosen in the same draft, when there were only two rounds of drafting... :-)

thebigsmoove
06-23-2017, 03:53 AM

Where have you seen this? Im not seeing anything regarding him receiving any interest from an NBA team to sign yet?

TexasZagFan
06-23-2017, 03:54 AM

Unless my critical thinking skills have seriously deteriorated, judging from the comments, the average Trail Blazer fan knows nothing about Zach and even less about Zag hoops.

I knew Zach was gone during the South Carolina game. Tenth player selected in a deep, deeper draft.

BTW, Portland fans need to understand that Zach played behind the best collegiate center, and the winningest player of all time.

SteelCityZag
06-23-2017, 06:00 AM

True, and though there were fewer teams in the league back then, the draft also went 19 rounds instead of the current two-round format. Would this be the first time since the draft was reduced to two rounds?

bartruff1
06-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Unless my critical thinking skills have seriously deteriorated, judging from the comments, the average Trail Blazer fan knows nothing about Zach and even less about Zag hoops.

I knew Zach was gone during the South Carolina game. Tenth player selected in a deep, deeper draft.

BTW, Portland fans need to understand that Zach played behind the best collegiate center, and the winningest player of all time.

The old time fans remember when they selected Sam Bowie rather than Michael Jordan....

Zagdawg
06-23-2017, 06:18 AM
Przemek Karnowski‏Verified account
@PKarnowski

Congrats to my bros @zcollins_33 and @NigelWG5 on getting their name called tonight! Don't count me out yet tho ��

Zagdawg
06-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Dan Dickau and 6 others liked
Rem Bakamus‏Verified account @RemFifteen 10h10 hours ago

Blessed to announce I have signed a 3 year deal with @scorebooklive and @SBLiveNW for the 2017-18 season. #Blessed

Zagdawg
06-23-2017, 06:22 AM
Inside The Kennel‏ @InsideTheKennel 45m45 minutes ago
Zags that we know will be in NBA Summer League:

@zcollins_33- @trailblazers
@NigelWG5 - @utahjazz
@KPangos - @wizar

rennis
06-23-2017, 07:26 AM
As someone mentioned on this board.....if Matthew Dellavedova can play in the NBA, so can Nigel Williams Goss. I am not wearing Zag-colored shades when I say this: NWG is the better all around player on both ends. I also feel some scouts are out control with their assessment of his athleticism. It will be a liability in the NBA, but some of these guys act as if he has his feet in cement.

Boom. his feet are anything but slow. he had the fastest time in one of the agility drills in the entire combine. We all know he isn't Kyrie Irving. Then again, nobody else is either. The NBA pendulum swings and when/if the game returns to a point-guard-as-distributor-of-the-ball-and-not-a-chucker and we see some teams use the post effectively (let's say 4-5 years from now) NWG will be the perfect player in that role, even if it's just coming off the bench to give different looks/change game flow.

Zag365
06-23-2017, 08:07 AM
True, and though there were fewer teams in the league back then, the draft also went 19 rounds instead of the current two-round format. Would this be the first time since the draft was reduced to two rounds?

Obviously the conditions in 1971 were different. Wasn't trying to make a qualitative comparison; just answering the quantitative question. You can belittle the past but there were a number of significant achievements in Gonzaga MBB history that are forgotten, overlooked. We should know our own history even if the national audience thinks that, aside from John Stockton, the MBB program never achieved anything previously and success only began with Casey Calvary making the putback tip.

JPtheBeasta
06-23-2017, 08:29 AM
As someone mentioned on this board.....if Matthew Dellavedova can play in the NBA, so can Nigel Williams Goss. I am not wearing Zag-colored shades when I say this: NWG is the better all around player on both ends. I also feel some scouts are out control with their assessment of his athleticism. It will be a liability in the NBA, but some of these guys act as if he has his feet in cement. If he were that slow, he wouldn't have been able to defend as well as he did his JR year at Gonzaga against good teams.

Not a surprise that Shem didn't get picked, but he's going to make big bucks in Europe. No need to cry in your beer over him.

Jay Bilas did mention that he was the fastest in the "lane drill," fwiw, but did follow it up with him having old-school game.

MontanaCoyote
06-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Przemek Karnowski‏Verified account
@PKarnowski

Congrats to my bros @zcollins_33 and @NigelWG5 on getting their name called tonight! Don't count me out yet tho ��

Will NEVER count you out, Shem, Never! Checking every hour to see if a UFA pops up or something else. You have earned a shot. You deserve a shot. Please keep me/us posted. Where will you be the next few weeks?
MontanaCoyote/John Vincent

Zags_Fanatic
06-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Obviously the conditions in 1971 were different. Wasn't trying to make a qualitative comparison; just answering the quantitative question. You can belittle the past but there were a number of significant achievements in Gonzaga MBB history that are forgotten, overlooked. We should know our own history even if the national audience thinks that, aside from John Stockton, the MBB program never achieved anything previously and success only began with Casey Calvary making the putback tip.

Not to belittle the past, just a little anecdote. My dad worked for the Utah Jazz in the early '80s and during the draft one year he was asked to call the draft pick from one of the late rounds (8th or 9th) to let him know he had been selected in the draft. Apparently the player got confused and upset because he thought he was being drafted into the military and didn't remember signing up for selective service.

Zagdawg
06-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Sam Adams‏ @SWXSamAdams 2m2 minutes ago

Just got off phone with Jordan Mathews, who will play for New Orleans NBA Summer team. Had other options: HOU and Memphis. Chose N.O. on fit

sittingon50
06-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Good Luck Jordan!!

(thanks Zd).

ezcure17
06-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Shem just announced that he will be playing for the charlotte hornets in the summer league!!!!!

Zagdawg
06-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Nice interview -- I liked that John Stockton was so involved with NWG development and actually talked to Utah ahead of the draft providing them his feedback.

https://www.facebook.com/MOREFOX5/videos/10155439562214450/