PDA

View Full Version : Anton Watson Commits

Pages : [1] 2

DukeSilver
06-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 1m1 minute ago

Gonzaga Prep standout forward Anton Watson tells me he's committed to Gonzaga. Two years left at G-Prep, first member of GU's 2019 class

Zag_Dad
06-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Gonzaga Prep standout forward Anton Watson tells me he's committed to Gonzaga. Two years left at G-Prep, first member of GU's 2019 class

WOW!! That's pretty cool. Can't wait to watch him play over next couple years as a "Bullpup" till he joins the Bulldogs!

basketballzag
06-21-2017, 11:51 AM

This is a huge verbal commitment for Gonzaga because they have needed that elite level SF and this kid seems to have the potential to be very elite.

Zagdawg
06-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Outstanding News!

Kiddwell
06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Anything more "official?" Tweet? Something like that?

:adored:

:]

basketballzag
06-21-2017, 12:07 PM

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/21/gonzaga-prep-standout-anton-watson-verbally-commit/

Kiddwell
06-21-2017, 12:12 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/21/gonzaga-prep-standout-anton-watson-verbally-commit/

Mighty "official!" Thanks!

:adored::adored::adored:

ZagaZags
06-21-2017, 12:13 PM

Jim Meehan‏ is pretty darn official. I'm looking forward to following Anton Watson for his remaining 2 seasons at G-Prep.

sittingon50
06-21-2017, 12:25 PM
:clap:

madness
06-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Awesome news! Now we just need some local fans to live stream/YouTube all the Prep games for the next two years. Go Pups!

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Sweet!

Zags_Fanatic
06-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Awesome! Welcome to the family, Anton!

kitzbuel
06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Excellent!

Wonder if he will try to run with the guys at at all this summer?

Malastein
06-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Who was the last G Prep guy to play at Gonzaga?

zag buddy
06-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Was it David Stockton

Zagdawg
06-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Chris Sarbaugh walked on

Hoopaholic
06-21-2017, 03:13 PM
LOVE IT.........gives me a solid reason to go up and watch some games

jazzdelmar
06-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Does he pencil out to a 4 or 5 star?

soccerdud
06-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Does he pencil out to a 4 or 5 star?

i'm excited about him and he looks awesome and this is in no way intended to be a downer-- but if ZC playing for a top-10 HS team is a 4-star, I can't imagine Watson from g-prep being given a 5-star rating by the services. if he is, i gotta think we're looking at our second 1-and-done-- and that's not a projection i'd be willing to make yet. i'd guess he'll end up 60-80ish and underrated. I'm not sure whether that entire range is typically considered 4* territory or if some high 3s sneak in there. probably depends on the service.

ETA: it's worth noting that he's not currently listed in the rivals top 150 for 2019 and is not currently listed in 247's overall or WA state 2019 rankings. the only site i saw that has him included in any sort of ranking is transitionhoops.com which has him as #3 in WA (http://www.transitionhoops.com/articles/posts/2016/september/top-ten-basketball-players-class-2019) for 2019. i'd imagine that a lot of this is lack of familiarity and that we'll see him climb some as he gets exposure, but i don't think that there's any indication we're talking about a top-20ish nationwide prospect. and as an early commit with strong ties to the school, he probably won't be particularly hyped or a focus for people putting together evaluations or rankings. so, no, i probably wouldn't pencil him in as our first 5* recruit.

jazzdelmar
06-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Project? Rated 6th best in state and 137th in country on one site.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/anton-watson/O0fTHskeEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Malastein
06-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Let's hope he puts in the work the next couple years with the Zags to become even better than that! Who is the best G Prep Zag ever?

Norwester
06-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Let's hope he puts in the work the next couple years with the Zags to become even better than that! Who is the best G Prep Zag ever?

You're kidding, right?

If not, how about John Houston Stockton?

soccerdud
06-21-2017, 05:30 PM

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/anton-watson/O0fTHskeEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

so, was your previous question a sarcastic one? or did you stumble upon that link after posting?

i was just trying to respond reasonably and fairly without people thinking i was tearing the kid down. can be a pretty tough line to walk in this neighborhood. but no, he probably doesn't pencil out to a 5-star recruit.

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 05:49 PM
I think we're getting a dandy who was about to see his recruitment blow up over the next 2 years. Kids from Spokane, WA just don't get highly rated through recruiting sites. I know Mallon was highly rated as a sophomore but fell quite a bit his junior and senior years. I don't imagine GU offers too many sophomores so that should tell us a lot about how good he is. I think the kid has a chance of being an elite 3 or stretch 4 if he grows a little more. Believe dad played at Idaho or something like that. I'm very excited about this one!

Stache
06-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Anton's AAU team went up against Shaq's kid last summer and Anton was the best player on the court. He is a tweener at about 6'7". He is smooth, has a fluid and consistent outside shot, and he is a quick leaper even if he does not have the elevation of some with super sized hops. He is tough inside and has the ability to change his shot to get it to the hoop. Not really big enough to be a SF at this level of D1 (need to be 6-9 to 6-10?), and he needs continued work on handles to be a 3. He is a great kid. Polite, smart and has a great family. I suspect he will be more heavily noted and written up this summer.

kitzbuel
06-21-2017, 06:26 PM
He is a sophomore in high school. I am willing to bet he will do some growing yet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reborn
06-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Anton's AAU team went up against Shaq's kid last summer and Anton was the best player on the court. He is a tweener at about 6'7". He is smooth, has a fluid and consistent outside shot, and he is a quick leaper even if he does not have the elevation of some with super sized hops. He is tough inside and has the ability to change his shot to get it to the hoop. Not really big enough to be a SF at this level of D1 (need to be 6-9 to 6-10?), and he needs continued work on handles to be a 3. He is a great kid. Polite, smart and has a great family. I suspect he will be more heavily noted and written up this summer.

The 3 is the small forward position. I think you're talking about the 4=Power Forward.

Stache
06-21-2017, 06:37 PM
I watched him all year. He's not really a power forward right now. Maybe a few more inches and some muscle will make that a fit but his skills translate to a 3 imo

WallaWallaZag
06-21-2017, 06:42 PM
I watched him all year. He's not really a power forward right now. Maybe a few more inches and some muscle will make that a fit but his skills translate to a 3 imo

reborn is referring to your typo above...SF should be PF

"Not really big enough to be a SF at this level of D1 (need to be 6-9 to 6-10?)"

jazzdelmar
06-21-2017, 06:55 PM
so, was your previous question a sarcastic one? or did you stumble upon that link after posting?

i was just trying to respond reasonably and fairly without people thinking i was tearing the kid down. can be a pretty tough line to walk in this neighborhood. but no, he probably doesn't pencil out to a 5-star recruit.

Stumbled upon it. Work to do.

btzag
06-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Super excited about this guy in our program especially with two more years to grow and develop. This zags staff knows bb talent and if they offered him this early they 'know something'!

Malastein
06-21-2017, 08:18 PM
You're kidding, right?

If not, how about John Houston Stockton?

Brain fart...

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Wonder when kids start getting star bumps after committing to Gonzaga like commits at the blue bloods get?

soccerdud
06-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Stumbled upon it. Work to do.

gotcha. i read your previous post in a hurry earlier and thought it was a response to mine and found it quite confusing. i think my head couldn't get around you asking if he was a 5-star and then you wondering if he's a project in the space of a single post. now i realize it was a misinterpretation on my part. my apologies.

what i should have said is: "all sophomores are projects (see collins, zack), but there's plenty of time, potential, and opportunity for him to grow. i am thinking we got a good one :)"

Mantua
06-21-2017, 10:19 PM
I have watched Prep's televised games for years. Anton was especially fun to watch last year. I couldn't be happier to see him commit to GU as a great player and as a homegrown player.

Stache
06-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Missed the typo on SF/PF. Thanks.

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 06:33 AM
https://twitter.com/SWXRightNow/status/877697586647384064

Inside The Kennel‏
@InsideTheKennel
Hey @aaronwbeach know you have seen Anton Watson play. What's your scouting report

Aaron Beach‏
@aaronwbeach
Aaron Beach Retweeted Inside The Kennel
Love him! High ceiling, great athlete, really smart player. Was best overall player at Spring Showcase. Blue chipper if he keeps growing

dhozagfan08
06-22-2017, 07:17 AM
I was thinking about past players with his body type, and the most recent one that came to mind was Nunez. That got me wondering how much of an advantage will it be for him to have committed so early? Hopefully he gets to spend a lot of extra time around the program and hits the ground running as a freshman. We've been waiting for a long time to have a player with a conventional sf frame. Would hate to have another player like Nunez who doesn't work out.

thebigsmoove
06-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Im super excited about Anton. Vastly underrated right now. Hes gonna be a special Zag.

Zagdawg
06-22-2017, 01:32 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1786809-gonzaga-lands-first-2019-commit

Reborn
06-24-2017, 11:56 AM
I was thinking about past players with his body type, and the most recent one that came to mind was Nunez. That got me wondering how much of an advantage will it be for him to have committed so early? Hopefully he gets to spend a lot of extra time around the program and hits the ground running as a freshman. We've been waiting for a long time to have a player with a conventional sf frame. Would hate to have another player like Nunez who doesn't work out.

The problem with Nunez is he couldn't shoot from the outside. He was going to drive to the hoop every time and soon defenders never bothered to guard him from the outside. He was a little soft in my opinion as well. This kid will be better than Nunez, imo.

cggonzaga
06-24-2017, 12:03 PM
The problem with Nunez is he couldn't shoot from the outside. He was going to drive to the hoop every time and soon defenders never bothered to guard him from the outside. He was a little soft in my opinion as well. This kid will be better than Nunez, imo.

Yeah I don't see the Nunez comparison. Maybe athletically. Watson is much tougher and pretty decent down low.

dhozagfan08
06-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Yeah I don't see the Nunez comparison. Maybe athletically. Watson is much tougher and pretty decent down low.

The comparison was body type. How many wings have we had with that type of frame. I think he can be way better than nunuz. I also think Nunez could have been way better than he was if he had bought into the system more.

Reborn
06-24-2017, 12:40 PM
The comparison was body type. How many wings have we had with that type of frame. I think he can be way better than nunuz. I also think Nunez could have been way better than he was if he had bought into the system more.

Nunez could not shoot from the outside, and it hurt him. Nunez was a 4, not wing. He'd be called a "stretch 4" most likely.

CDC84
06-24-2017, 08:57 PM
It's great to finally have another top 100 caliber, national recruit come out of Spokane. Locals will have the opportunity to see this kid play and develop throughout the rest of his high school career. That's going to be a very cool thing.

And if he totally blows up as a prospect, Few and Co. don't have to travel very far to make their presence felt :)

DixieZag
06-25-2017, 08:51 AM
I've never seen him play, and don't know BB as much as some here. And, I've never been a D-1 athlete. But, I know Adam Morrison wasn't on any sort of national recruiting site as anything special, and yet halfway through Adam's frosh year at GU, he was the best player on the floor. So, I know to throw any rating stuff out the window.

And this:

“I can start watching them practice and get to know my future teammates and coaches, so it’s a great opportunity for me.”

Seems to me that any kid who specifically cites that is one who knows what it takes to develop. Plus, a 6'7 210 soph is likely to add some numbers to that, and that's pretty rare for a guy people say could develop into a 3.

kjstoph1
06-27-2017, 08:01 PM

Watson has been coached by Stockton for years. I wouldn't ever want to piss John off by calling one of his players a 'project'. They are as solid fundamentally as you will find.

soccerdud
06-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Watson has been coached by Stockton for years. I wouldn't ever want to piss John off by calling one of his players a 'project'. They are as solid fundamentally as you will find.

that's awesome info. hadn't heard that. thanks.

Coach Crazy
06-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Why do you guys take things so personal? Critiquing a player is normal. The staff does it in order to define and concentrate their efforts.

John doesn't care what anyone says on here, and even if he did, while I respect what did for GU and all he accomplished, why should that keep someone from talking basketball?

If you don't agree with someone's critique, make a rebuttal on principle. Please stop trying to use trump cards (no puns, bro's). Talk ball. If you don't think he is a project, why do you think that? John probably works with kids that aren't good enough to play at GU. A kid being a project is not an indictment on John, and being fundamentally sound isn't everything.

Talk ball. Please. Every kid has something to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
06-27-2017, 08:47 PM
He's playing at team camp this week. Just sayin.

Zagsker
06-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Why do you guys take things so personal? Critiquing a player is normal. The staff does it in order to define and concentrate their efforts.

John doesn't care what anyone says on here, and even if he did, while I respect what did for GU and all he accomplished, why should that keep someone from talking basketball?

If you don't agree with someone's critique, make a rebuttal on principle. Please stop trying to use trump cards (no puns, bro's). Talk ball. If you don't think he is a project, why do you think that? John probably works with kids that aren't good enough to play at GU. A kid being a project is not an indictment on John, and being fundamentally sound isn't everything.

Amen to that

Zagsker
06-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Off topic a bit but LC played a team from Cali today and the Cali team had a dude that was taking it to the LC guy...don't know his name but he was a beast

Also Culp from GPrep, don't know if he is projected as a WR in college but he is going to end up being a TE or DE imo

MDABE80
06-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Kj! It's been ages wince you've posted here! Welcome back. Valued opinion. Cougs going to do much this year???

Zagger
06-28-2017, 03:48 AM
I love it when local kids get on the team! Welcome Anton!

EEzag
06-28-2017, 08:33 AM
I love it when local kids get on the team! Welcome Anton!

Watson is not a project. He is a great athlete with great basketball IQ. The Prep system doesn't really 'feature' players, so it may not look like he's a beast, but he is. A project to me is a guy who couldn't make it in your system unless you poured more than the average amount of effort and resources into him in the hopes that he would surpass a guy that would just be able to play of the streets. A project is also a gamble. When Watson shows up on campus he'll be more than ready to contribute. He gets the game.

Deezy is projected as a WR. He's got some growing to do inside and outside of the weight-room to play DE or even a Hybrid DE/LB. Athleticism will not be the issue with that guy.

kitzbuel
06-28-2017, 09:19 AM

I believe kg replied back to you. Shouldn't take it so personal.[emoji41]

BobZag
06-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Is Anton as good as Sean Mallon?

Be objective.

Zagdawg
06-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Similar -- Anton averaged 19 pts a game a sophomore and Mallon averaged 18 pts as a sophomore.

Time will tell as he continues to develop and grow-- will he be a wing or a forward in college.

EEzag
06-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Be objective.

I'll be honest I don't remember Mallon as a sophomore. I remember Sean as a really skilled PF his senior year. I remember Sean competing very will at the State Tourney his senior year. At this point, comparing Sean his senior year to the sophomore AW is difficult because they are way different. AW translates to a wing today, a face up wing with some range. He can slash and throw down. Sean his senior year (correct me if I'm wrong) was a back to the basket player. He relied more on technique and that he had a height advantage. Not much of his game was more than 10 ft from the basket. In hindsight, SM didn't pan out as well as we had hoped, but the projection in HS was slightly inflated. He probably should have been a 3-star. He did have difficulty guarding more athletic centers and forwards and that never changed.

If Mallon was playing in high school this year, he'd put up good numbers on that Ferris team. But we'd want Watson more, wwwaaaaayyyy more upside. If he doesn't grow an inch or change his body at all from today as a Soph, he'd be a 3/4 star recruit. If he grows some (and I don't know if he will) and continues to develop his game (again, can't assume) he'll be a 4 star for sure (if he signed with Oregon or Zona he's be a 4/5 star).

Coach Crazy
06-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Be objective.

If you gave me a choice between Sean Mallon's already known college career and the potential of Anton Watson? I think there is a strong case to take Anton.

maynard g krebs
06-28-2017, 11:19 AM
(if he signed with Oregon or Zona he's be a 4/5 star).

Oregon hasn't had a 5 star step on the floor yet in the Altman era (Dorsey was close), though that changes in the coming season with their first since Aaron Brooks. Arizona gets 3 a year. UCLA or Zona is how I'd put that.

kjstoph1
06-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Kj! It's been ages wince you've posted here! Welcome back. Valued opinion. Cougs going to do much this year???

I will have to check and see whether WSU still fields a basketball team.

I'm relatively certain the AD assigned it to club sport status since his arrival.

kjstoph1
06-28-2017, 12:09 PM
I believe kg replied back to you. Shouldn't take it so personal.[emoji41]

I take it personal in that I've coached against John/Anton - and couldn't beat either of them.... And, yes, they'd both be pissed being labeled a 'project' and would then use that as fuel to get better.

Watson comes from good genes -his dad at one time was the leading scorer at Idaho; his brother likely could have played bball there too had he not concentrated on football. Pretty sure mom was a D-1 athlete too.

I'd take him a hundred times over any other kid in E. Washington right now. He needs to continue to get better facing the basket and stepping outside - but, honestly, he's going to be a heck of a lot more successful at that than some AAU superstar who has jacked threes from his hip since the third grade. His mechanics are really nice and he can get to the rim. Basketball IQ off the charts (that's the Stockton influence) and if there's any criticism, it's that he probably needs to play a little less mechanically and use his athleticism even more.

You aren't a four year starter at Prep unless you have chops. He has chops. Prep should have won it this year. They'll win it at least once, if not twice in the next two years.

And, yes, he's as good as Mallon - much more athletic. Not as sized (yet) but he's very very good with two more years to show that. Nobody in town will be able to guard him as a senior. Nobody can guard him right now.

cggonzaga
06-28-2017, 12:18 PM
I take it personal in that I've coached against John/Anton - and couldn't beat either of them.... And, yes, they'd both be pissed being labeled a 'project' and would then use that as fuel to get better.

Watson comes from good genes -his dad at one time was the leading scorer at Idaho; his brother likely could have played bball there too had he not concentrated on football. Pretty sure mom was a D-1 athlete too.

I'd take him a hundred times over any other kid in E. Washington right now. He needs to continue to get better facing the basket and stepping outside - but, honestly, he's going to be a heck of a lot more successful at that than some AAU superstar who has jacked threes from his hip since the third grade. His mechanics are really nice and he can get to the rim. Basketball IQ off the charts (that's the Stockton influence) and if there's any criticism, it's that he probably needs to play a little less mechanically and use his athleticism even more.

You aren't a four year starter at Prep unless you have chops. He has chops. Prep should have won it this year. They'll win it at least once, if not twice in the next two years.

And, yes, he's as good as Mallon - much more athletic. Not as sized (yet) but he's very very good with two more years to show that. Nobody in town will be able to guard him as a senior. Nobody can guard him right now.

Your analysis is spot on. Also, sophomores don't generally lead the GSL in scoring at 20ppg.

JPtheBeasta
06-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Be objective.

An example of objectivity: Could Anton jump over a phone book if you asked him to?

MDABE80
06-28-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm sure he could. Sean had a bit more cariety to his game when he was a Sr. Anton is a very good player and a very coachable kid. As I look back, I think he'll be a lot better than Sean was. Way better leaper. He'll need some weight and more variety in his shots. Noting that he has a couple years to develop, I'm not worried. AND, since he's in the fold and he is just up the street, I'm thinking staff will work with Coach Mcintyre in his development.

maynard g krebs
06-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Prep should have won it this year.

I think Kentwood beats em 7 times out of 10. They have the benefit of playing tougher comp all year. No stars but that Kentwood team was damn good.

bigblahla
06-28-2017, 07:07 PM
An example of objectivity: Could Anton jump over a phone book if you asked him to?

In context that is too funny....love Mallon but he needed two steps before he could start running...he even made Gourde look fast....those were the days....miss Chunk..

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
06-28-2017, 09:53 PM

Nice to see you here, stoph.

Vanzagger
06-28-2017, 10:52 PM
I remember Sean at Ferris. Super skilled and versatile. I think as a Zag a couple things happened after his redshirt. He didn't have to be as skilled because Adam's fast start and his speed was probably hurt a little by added bulk.

I think he made plenty of winning plays regardless of any stats.

sittingon50
06-29-2017, 12:17 AM

This.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2017, 03:25 AM
This.

One of the classiest Zags of all time......

TexasZagFan
06-29-2017, 05:45 AM

Where can I find that metric at Scout.com?

TexasZagFan
06-29-2017, 05:47 AM
I remember Sean at Ferris. Super skilled and versatile. I think as a Zag a couple things happened after his redshirt. He didn't have to be as skilled because Adam's fast start and his speed was probably hurt a little by added bulk.

I'll add my +1 to that. He was a fine basketball player.

JPtheBeasta
06-30-2017, 05:43 PM
In context that is too funny....love Mallon but he needed two steps before he could start running...he even made Gourde look fast....those were the days....miss Chunk..

Go!! Zags!!!

Nicely put :) I'm glad my comment was taken humorously. I am a big Mallon fan and said the above in good fun. He did a lot down low despite his relative lack athleticism.

JPtheBeasta
06-30-2017, 05:46 PM

That's a very eloquent way to put it. I couldn't agree more.

Zagdawg
07-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
206HS/NWACScouting‏ @BillElleby 6h6 hours ago
More
2017 NW Premiere Showcase 17U BC Semis E.WA Elite Red/Griffins Semi Stars of Game Gonzaga Committ 2019 Anton Watson 6'7 F Griffins 15pts,9R

MiamiZags
07-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

Wasn't "Chunk" Violette's nickname?

EEzag
07-17-2017, 05:07 AM
Wasn't "Chunk" Violette's nickname?

Yep. He wanted "Chisel", but got Chunk. Bad idea to come up with your own nickname. And did someone say Gourde was faster than Mallon? Both guys labored pretty hard to get up the court. Not sure who was faster.

Radbooks
07-22-2017, 12:40 PM
From twitter yesterday:

Josh Gershon‏Verified account @JoshGershon Jul 20

First look at 2019 #Gonzaga commit Anton Watson. 6-7 versatile SF who is a high level passer. Can score inside & out. Nice pickup for Zags.

And an interview:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1792592-pump-anton-watson-talks-gonzaga-commitment

Zagdawg
07-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Evan Daniels‏Verified account
@EvanDaniels
Gonzaga locked up a quality player in 2019 pledge Anton Watson. Combo forward that can impact the game in a variety ways.

Zagdawg
12-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Boys basketball preview: Anton Watson something special for Gonzaga Prep

"It doesn’t take a scout with 30 years of experience to realize that Gonzaga Prep’s Anton Watson is something special."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/06/boys-basketball-preview-anton-watson-something-spe/#/0

spokzagis
12-07-2017, 12:39 PM
If anybody goes and watches GP, I'd be interested to hear about Liam Lloyd. Tommy's Kid. Sounds like he is pretty good.

Spike#1
12-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Yep. He wanted "Chisel", but got Chunk. Bad idea to come up with your own nickname. And did someone say Gourde was faster than Mallon? Both guys labored pretty hard to get up the court. Not sure who was faster.

I remember it differently. He came in as a freshman with a little baby fat still on him, and was given the nickname "Chunk". Later, in his career, not sure exactly, Jr / Sr year, he had worked to change his physique, getting pretty ripped, his nickname then evolved into "Chisel". From Chunk to Chisel as I remember it...

cggonzaga
12-07-2017, 03:08 PM
If anybody goes and watches GP, I'd be interested to hear about Liam Lloyd. Tommy's Kid. Sounds like he is pretty good.

Haven’t seen him yet but heard he’s about 6’2”-6’3” and is a pretty good shooter. Will only get better as year continues.

ZagsObserver
12-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Haven’t seen him yet but heard he’s about 6’2”-6’3” and is a pretty good shooter. Will only get better as year continues.

Obviously young to assess. That said, I doubt we are talking D1. Then again, very few make d1.

ZagNative
12-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Gonzaga Prep plays Post Falls High School tonight at Post falls (2832 E Poleline Ave) at 7:00 pm. It would be great if some guboard members could make the trek across the state line and give us a report on Anton, AJ, and Liam tomorrow. Here's a pre-game story frm the Coeur d'alene Press. (http://www.cdapress.com/sports/20171207/nelke_homecoming_for_g-prep_boys_coach)

The game should be quite the story in itself.

Gonzaga Prep (2-0), ranked No. 1 by the Seattle Times in 4A, Washington’s largest classification, playing at Post Falls tonight at 7 at The Arena.

Post Falls (1-0) is ranked No. 1 in 5A, Idaho’s largest classification.

At least one G-Prep player should look familiar to Post Falls fans — junior Anton Watson, a former Coeur d’Alene resident and younger brother of ex-Coeur d’Alene High and Idaho Vandals star Deon Watson. The 6-foot-7 Anton Watson has verbally committed to Gonzaga.

“Anton is the real deal,” McLean said. “GU can recruit any kid they want in the country and the world — look at their roster. Anton is a GU signee, so you know he is really special. The days of GU throwing an offer out to a “local” kid is long gone.

“G-Prep also has the supporting cast around Anton. They are big, the most physical team we have played in a long time and have the pedigree it takes to win. They have two of the GU staff members’ kids on their team (AJ Few, a senior guard, and Liam Lloyd, a sopomore guard) and they can both really shoot it; I am assuming they have spent some time in the gyms shooting. The challenge with G-Prep is that they know who they are, accept their defensive mentality and execute their game plan so well. Some teams that accumulate all of this talent don’t play together or don’t play really hard on the defensive end. G-Prep is not like that, they play with the intensity to win on both ends and that is a credit to Matty and his staff.”

JPtheBeasta
12-07-2017, 08:06 PM
It’s cool to hear all of the good press he is getting.

JPtheBeasta
12-07-2017, 08:08 PM
To anyone who has seen him play, is Watson going to be a somewhat undersized PF or more of a wing guy?

cggonzaga
12-07-2017, 09:07 PM
To anyone who has seen him play, is Watson going to be a somewhat undersized PF or more of a wing guy?

I think he’ll be a 3 but at the rate he’s growing he may become a very athletic stretch 4.

JPtheBeasta
12-07-2017, 09:39 PM
I think he’ll be a 3 but at the rate he’s growing he may become a very athletic stretch 4.

Thanks. Watson at the 3 is intriguing. For some reason I had him pegged as a 4 this whole time. Including Watson, there’s going to be a pretty good 4 man rotation down low in 2019 for the Zags.

Mantua
12-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Prep 69
Post Falls 48

cggonzaga
12-07-2017, 11:42 PM
http://www.nwprepsnow.com/videos/2017/dec/07/gonzaga-prep-vs-post-falls-boys-high-school-basket/

Malastein
12-08-2017, 02:45 AM
So Watson scored 28 of G Prep’s 69 points? Sounds like a baller...

vandalzag
12-08-2017, 06:19 AM
Watson is tough. If he grows a little more he will be handful. Can play out to 20 feet. Pups are legit for the state run this year, especially if they get healthy across the board. Looking forward to watching Lloyd's son develop, has some potential.

ZagNative
12-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Box Score of Gonzaga-Post Falls (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/37244-gonzaga-prep-vs-post-falls)

Spokesman-Review Game Story (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/07/gonzaga-preps-anton-watson-scores-28-points-in-win/#/5) includes some nice photos:

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/12/07/POST1_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7041162086f31df6a 374511

Gonzaga Prep’s Anton Watson defends a pass attempt by Post Falls’ Jacob Pfennigs, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Post Falls, Id. (Dan Pelle / The Spokesman-Review)

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/12/07/POST3_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7041162086f31df6a 374511

Carter Sonneborn (34) and Liam Lloyd (21), of Gonzaga Prep battle Tanner McCliment-Call (10) and Alan Ballew, of Post Falls, for a loose ball, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Post Falls, Id. (Dan Pelle / The Spokesman-Review)

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/12/07/POST6_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7041162086f31df6a 374511

AJ Few, of Gonzaga Prep, takes a charge on Drake Thompson (3), of Post Falls, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Post Falls, Id. (Dan Pelle / The Spokesman-Review)

Worthington
12-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Those highlights were extremely impressive. Looks like he has developed his perimeter skills quite a bit, that inside out crossover that led to the huge poster dunk is something I hadn't seen out of him before. Fluidity out in transition looked amazing, every bit as good as you could want from a wing player. The name of the game these days is versatility and it looks like Watson has the goods to play both the 3 and 4. I had heard lots of scouts rave of his basketball instincts and IQ, but his skills and athleticism look equally impressive. Could be special.

Mantua
12-08-2017, 01:07 PM
So Watson scored 28 of G Prep’s 69 points? Sounds like a baller...

11 rebounds!

For those who can get the SWX channel, GPrep @ Ferris will air live at 7 pm Tuesday, December 12th.

jazzdelmar
12-08-2017, 01:17 PM
What kind of comp is this?

Mantua
12-08-2017, 01:24 PM
It’s exciting for those of us who have been following GPrep basketball (and football) for years.

vandalzag
12-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Middle of the road. Similar to the level that Morrison faced while in the GSL. The good news is he has put up similar results during the summer when playing against a higher level of comp.

23dpg
12-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Middle of the road. Similar to the level that Morrison faced while in the GSL. The good news is he has put up similar results during the summer when playing against a higher level of comp.

I thought I’d read that Post Falls was the top ranked team in Idaho. Take that for what it’s worth.

cggonzaga
12-08-2017, 01:45 PM
GSL basketball is nothing to sneeze at. It’s good competition like most anywhere. People always brag on Seattle scene yet the east side is always very competitive at State every year. Confident the 4A state champion will be Prep or Richland, both east side schools.

Last night’s game was high level.

seacatfan
12-08-2017, 01:52 PM
GSL basketball is nothing to sneeze at. It’s good competition like most anywhere. People always brag on Seattle scene yet the east side is always very competitive at State every year. Confident the 4A state champion will be Prep or Richland, both east side schools.

Absolutely. You can go back quite a few years, whether it's men's hoops, women's hoops, football, east side schools are well represented in State Championship games at the 3A and 4A level. Spokane and Yakima both produce some decent talent in various sports. Vancouver too. It's not like State Champs always come from greater Seattle area.

scrooner
12-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Wow. That last dunk cracked me up.

jazzdelmar
12-08-2017, 02:21 PM
No cause for pause that he’s a two star ranked in the 3d hundred by the only rating site that bothers? Just asking.

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
12-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Post Falls is the number one ranked team in Idaho's best division.

bdmiller7
12-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Before Scout merged with 247 I believe they had moved him up to 66 in they're top 100. I believe Kispert had similar rankings about this same point in his high school career. He doesn't play on one of the big AAU circuits so most scouting sites probably have not seen him play.

23dpg
12-08-2017, 03:35 PM
No cause for pause that he’s a two star ranked in the 3d hundred by the only rating site that bothers? Just asking.

I’m not a recruiting expert but I thought two star signified a kid who hasn’t been evaluated thoroughly enough to be given a grade.
He is the best player on the highest ranked team in Washington.

BYUZag
12-08-2017, 04:00 PM

I agree, G Prep or Richland for the 4A title this year... For those of you that are G Prep / Richland / GSL fans, with waaaaay too much time on your hands, here's a full game from AAU ball this summer, Eastern Washington Elite vs Griffins...

EWE has:
Brock Ravet - Kittitas / Gonzaga commit
Tanner Christensen - University / Idaho signee
Shamrock Campbell - Ferris
Cole Northrup - Richland
Garret Streufert - Richland
Shayden Byrd - Gonzaga Prep
Johnny Hilman - Genesis Prep
Mitchell Breezee - Twin Falls, ID

Griffins have:
Watson - G Prep / Gonzaga commit
Lloyd - G Prep
Sam Stockton - G Prep
Jumari Jones - G Prep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqwDXIO8ag&t=382s

thespywhozaggedme
12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Very impressive highlights. Kid's a baller.

ZagNative
12-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the heads up! Got the DVR set!

QUOTE=Mantua;1344069For those who can get the SWX channel, GPrep @ Ferris will air live at 7 pm Tuesday, December 12th.[/QUOTE]

Zagdawg
12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
#20 is Brock -- he looks good -- scored a ton of points early.
#21 is Watson -- looked good also.

Mantua
12-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Prep beats Kelso tonight 69-41.

Anton Watson scores 20 points, two points thanks to a beautiful alley-oop from Liam Lloyd.

Zagdawg
12-09-2017, 07:28 AM
https://twitter.com/KREMEvan/status/939358460851789825

DixieZag
12-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Is it just me or does Anton have the type of frame that promises to build out really well and we could have a very big shouldered, hard to move, strong wing, PF-type?

ZagNative
12-09-2017, 10:38 AM
KREM 2 video coverage of lastnight's game vs. Kelso (http://www.krem.com/sports/high-school/watson-puts-on-a-show-lewis-clark-comes-back/498176056)

Zagger
12-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Way to go Anton! Welcome! :)

Club Prez
12-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Gonzaga Prep will play a couple of games in the Puget Sound region - on Thursday, December 21, they will play West Seattle in Showare Center in Kent at 7 pm as part of a part of a day long set of games. Then on Friday, December 22, they play at Wilson in the Tacoma area.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/gonzaga-prep-bullpups-(spokane,wa)/basketball/schedule.htm

http://gametimeevents.org/2017-2018-high-school-hoops-events/

CDC84
12-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Evan Daniels told me that the rankings on Ravet and Watson will be fixed soon. They're top 100 guys.

cggonzaga
12-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Evan Daniels told me that the rankings on Ravet and Watson will be fixed soon. They're top 100 guys.

Watson has to be top 50 right? Scary to think what’s out there if he’s not.

ZagNative
12-12-2017, 04:10 PM
I've got the DVR set but hope to remember to catch the game live tonight.

For those who can get the SWX channel, GPrep @ Ferris will air live at 7 pm Tuesday, December 12th.

jazzdelmar
12-12-2017, 04:17 PM

Look forward to that.

vandalzag
12-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Look forward to that.

The kid can play. If he grows some more he will be a force. Perfect fit for the Zags.

hooter73
12-13-2017, 08:26 AM
G-Prep vs Ferris last night, both top ten teams in the state. Watson with 15 and a few nice assists

http://www.nwprepsnow.com/videos/2017/dec/12/gonzaga-prep-vs-ferris-boys-high-school-basketball/

cggonzaga
12-13-2017, 08:41 AM
G-Prep vs Ferris last night, both top ten teams in the state. Watson with 15 and a few nice assists

http://www.nwprepsnow.com/videos/2017/dec/12/gonzaga-prep-vs-ferris-boys-high-school-basketball/

Watson didn’t have a great game last night. Ferris played zone all game and limited Anton’s touches. Great game and exciting finish though.

BYUZag
12-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Video of the full game (G Prep vs Ferris) is available through the SWX app, look for "High School Basketball" Dec 12, 2017, girl's game is first video, and part of boy's game. Second video is the rest of boy's game. It's also on http://www.swxrightnow.com, but good luck finding it, that site is a mess.

509er
12-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Watson didn’t have a great game last night. Ferris played zone all game and limited Anton’s touches. Great game and exciting finish though.

That was a really fun HS gMe to go to. Prep had the superior talent but Ferris scrapped enough to be in it. Lloyd’s kid can shoot.

cggonzaga
12-13-2017, 12:34 PM
That was a really fun HS gMe to go to. Prep had the superior talent but Ferris scrapped enough to be in it. Lloyd’s kid can shoot.

I can imagine. It was fun watching on tv. Well coached teams. Ferris’ best player Campbell had a somewhat off night. He has a good game and Prep is in all kinds of trouble in that game. Lloyd may be D1 when all is said and done. He’s only a sophomore but the future looks bright.

cggonzaga
12-13-2017, 12:35 PM

I can imagine. It was fun watching on tv. Well coached teams. Ferris’ best player Campbell had a somewhat off night. He has a good game and Prep is in all kinds of trouble in that game. Lloyd may be D1 when all is said and done. He’s only a sophomore but the future looks bright.

SunDevilGolfZag
12-13-2017, 12:45 PM
I was at the game. Exciting down the stretch. Prep was very lucky to win the way the game unfolded. Two well coached teams, not that far apart talent wise overall. Lloyd's kid reminds me of Brett Bailey as a sophomore. He's got swagger and knows how to play. At 6'4" already he'll be a fun one to keep an eye on. Watson is smooth with nice athleticism. Reminds me a little of Jeremy Jones at this point.

cggonzaga
12-13-2017, 02:54 PM
I was at the game. Exciting down the stretch. Prep was very lucky to win the way the game unfolded. Two well coached teams, not that far apart talent wise overall. Lloyd's kid reminds me of Brett Bailey as a sophomore. He's got swagger and knows how to play. At 6'4" already he'll be a fun one to keep an eye on. Watson is smooth with nice athleticism. Reminds me a little of Jeremy Jones at this point.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Few is very high on Anton.

Prep has 2 starters recovering from football injuries. Shaeden Byrd is a big bodied talented 6’3” guard that will make a big difference once healthy. Also, UW football commit Devin Culp. 6’5” athletic, big bodied type. Formerly a highly thought of basketball prospect. Talent difference becomes much greater once they’re back...really against anybody in the state.

Mantua
12-13-2017, 03:28 PM
I’ve heard through the grapevine that Few is very high on Anton.

Prep has 2 starters recovering from football injuries. Shaeden Byrd is a big bodied talented 6’3” guard that will make a big difference once healthy. Also, UW football commit Devin Culp. 6’5” athletic, big bodied type. Formerly a highly thought of basketball prospect. Talent difference becomes much greater once they’re back...really against anybody in the state.

Does Byrd have an injury that will heal quickly? I knew about Culp’s injury. I noticed that Culp was great emotional support last night. Anton was up against some tough defense, but made some timely passes. I was glad to see him begin to adjust his game to fit the circumstances and imagine that he will improve on that. When Culp and Byrd are back GPrep should be able to handle the zone (tall passers).

SunDevilGolfZag
12-13-2017, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=cggonzaga;1345530]I’ve heard through the grapevine that Few is very high on Anton.

Easy to see that. Long, nice court presence and awareness, good ball handler and passer, nice stroke.

MDABE80
12-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Best athlete of the bunch is Jamaari Jones. 6 3 200 solid. Seems like Culp is injured frequently. Anton looks good but he's got to broaden his game. he's big in HS but in college, he'll need a lot more to be a standout.

Zagdawg
12-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Lindsay Joy‏
@SWXLindsayJoy
12h12 hours ago
Anton Watson has been dunking so much tonight that he literally broke the basket off the wall

Lindsay Joy‏
@SWXLindsayJoy
Following Following @SWXLindsayJoy
The one that broke the basket wasn't even the best one.... (these all happened in a three-minute span)

https://twitter.com/SWXLindsayJoy/status/941544046132051968

thespywhozaggedme
12-15-2017, 07:54 AM
How did I miss this?!?!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/939032012924391431

Kiddwell
12-15-2017, 09:54 AM

...who's Evan Daniels?

webspinnre
12-15-2017, 02:35 PM
...who's Evan Daniels?

Long-time person with scout.com.

kitzbuel
12-15-2017, 03:12 PM
How did I miss this?!?!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/939032012924391431Damn....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Bogozags
12-15-2017, 06:36 PM

Which is the more accurate recruiting listing/evaluator: Scout or ESPN?

ZagNative
12-17-2017, 08:30 PM
From the Seattle-Times (https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/showare-shootout-top-ranked-gonzaga-prep-taking-pre-christmas-tour/):
The Bullpups will play West Seattle in the top game at the ShoWare Shootout in Kent on Thursday.

The Gonzaga Prep boys basketball team rarely crosses the mountain pass for games in western Washington until it’s time for the state tournament at the Tacoma Dome.

A tweak in its Greater Spokane League schedule will end that trend.

The top-rated Bullpups are the highlight of the seventh-annual ShoWare Shootout at the tourney’s namesake arena in Kent on Thursday. Gonzaga Prep (6-0) plays West Seattle (4-2) at 7 p.m.

After the matchup against the Wildcats, who finished third in the Class 3A state tournament last season, Gonzaga plays at Wilson (4-1) on Friday and at Davis (5-0) in Yakima on Saturday.

Wilson’s UConn-commit Emmitt Matthews, a 6-foot-7 forward, and G-Prep’s Anton Watson, a 6-8 Gonzaga commit, are two big draws for the showcase.

Birddog
12-18-2017, 04:34 AM
UConn-commit Emmitt Matthews, a 6-foot-7 forward,
How does UConn get a commitment from a west side kid? Seems like the PNW schools would have the edge unless maybe he's not all that.

jazzdelmar
12-18-2017, 04:50 AM
How does UConn get a commitment from a west side kid? Seems like the PNW schools would have the edge unless maybe he's not all that.

From UConn board : The Huskies may tap back into the West Coast as they host Emmitt Matthews, Jr., a wing from the state of Washington, for an official visit next weekend. West Virginia is the only program to have also set up an official visit date with the Pacific Northwest native as he should be valued for his shot-making and versatility given his 6-foot-7 standing stature.

Currently a 3 star, ranked 165 in the US. How did GU miss 'em? ;)

https://247sports.com/player/emmitt-matthews-jr-94640

vandalzag
12-18-2017, 06:55 AM
From UConn board : The Huskies may tap back into the West Coast as they host Emmitt Matthews, Jr., a wing from the state of Washington, for an official visit next weekend. West Virginia is the only program to have also set up an official visit date with the Pacific Northwest native as he should be valued for his shot-making and versatility given his 6-foot-7 standing stature.

Currently a 3 star, ranked 165 in the US. How did GU miss 'em? ;)

https://247sports.com/player/emmitt-matthews-jr-94640

I think the staff is now doing this just so you have something to post about. They were most likely concerned that you would become complacent after the National Championship appearance.

jazzdelmar
12-18-2017, 06:57 AM
I think the staff is now doing this just so you have something to post about. They were most likely concerned that you would become complacent after the National Championship appearance.

"Complacent?" Now you're on the right track.

WallaWallaZag
12-18-2017, 09:14 AM

his dad was a star athlete in jersey and he played during the summer in philly...

Birddog
12-18-2017, 09:41 AM
his dad was a star athlete in jersey and he played during the summer in philly...

That makes some sense of it then.

hooter73
12-18-2017, 09:58 AM
or he may have a west side / blue bloods only attitude that GU doesnt want in their program...

I know nothing about the kid so no offense meant, but GU recruits on many different reasons, not just national ranking. I think we forget that all too often.

ZagNative
12-18-2017, 11:41 PM
G-Prep plays at Shadle tomorrow (Tuesday) at 7:15. Hoping a guboards fan goes and comes back with a report on Anton's performance.

ZagNative
12-19-2017, 08:57 PM
From Twitter:

Spokesman Sports‏ @SpokesmanSports

FINAL: Gonzaga Prep boys 76, Shadle Park 48. Anton Watson sat most of 4th and ended with 22 points.

ZagNative
12-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Game story for G-Prep vs. Shadle in the Spokesman-Review. (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/19/gonzaga-prep-boys-turn-up-defensive-pressure-to-cr/)

vandalzag
12-20-2017, 06:05 AM

That can't be the reason. It must be something that our coaches are failing to do.

Mantua
12-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Anton will get to sit for at least a couple more 4th quarters.

Nice mentions: Liam and AJ.

ZagNative
12-22-2017, 11:23 AM
"Gonzaga Prep holds down West Seattle to stay undefeated," Spokesman-Review. (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/21/boys-basketball-roundup-gonzaga-prep-wins-again-ho/)

Anton Watson scored 21 points and Gonzaga Prep (8-0) defeated West Seattle (4-3) 44-28 in a nonleague game at the ShoWare Center in Kent, Washington.

The Bullpups held West Seattle to 22 percent shooting and allowed only single-digit points in each of the final three quarters.

Game Stats (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/35236-west-seattle-vs-gonzaga-prep)

Zagdawg
12-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

206HS/NWACScouting

@BillElleby
22h22 hours ago
HS Boys 2017 Showare Shootout Gonzaga Prep 44 West Seattle 28 F Gonzaga Signee Dunk Time 2019 Anton Watson 6’7 F Gonzaga Prep 25pts,14rebs,4steals,3assist,3 Dunks @twonster4080 @PaulBiancardi

https://twitter.com/BillElleby/status/944058712221655041

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

206HS/NWACScouting

@BillElleby
22h22 hours ago
HS Boys 2017 Showare Shootout Gonzaga Prep 44 West Seattle 28 F Gonzaga Signee Dunk Time 2019 Anton Watson 6’7 F Gonzaga Prep 25pts,14rebs,4steals,3assist,3 Dunks @twonster4080 @PaulBiancardi

https://twitter.com/BillElleby/status/944058712221655041

Wow great stat line, talk about filling up the box score!

Zagdawg
12-22-2017, 08:25 PM
https://twitter.com/PikeParker/status/944348056207507456

Zagdawg
12-22-2017, 09:29 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

TJ Cotterill

Verified account

@TJCotterill
1h1 hour ago
More
Final: Gonzaga Prep 63, Wilson 51. Wilson had a third quarter lead but G-Prep uses huge run to put this one away and stay undefeated. Anton Watson with 24 points. Emmitt Matthews Jr. with 18 points. #wabkbscores

Mantua
12-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

TJ Cotterill

Verified account

@TJCotterill
1h1 hour ago
More
Final: Gonzaga Prep 63, Wilson 51. Wilson had a third quarter lead but G-Prep uses huge run to put this one away and stay undefeated. Anton Watson with 24 points. Emmitt Matthews Jr. with 18 points. #wabkbscores

ABC JAM Productions@ABCJAMPro

8:58 pm

“This was one heck of a game as Gonzaga Prep beat Wilson 63-51 sparked by a 23-5 run to end the 3rd and start the 4th.”

Devin Culp was named to All State Football 4A First Team (tight end) today and should be cleared to play for Prep basketball soon. Culp is a UW Football commit.

http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/2017/dec/22/gonzaga-preps-devin-culp-named-first-team-4a-all-s/

demian
12-23-2017, 12:41 AM
ABC JAM Productions@ABCJAMPro

8:58 pm

“This was one heck of a game as Gonzaga Prep beat Wilson 63-51 sparked by a 23-5 run to end the 3rd and start the 4th.”

Devin Culp was named to All State Football 4A First Team (tight end) today and should be cleared to play for Prep basketball soon. Culp is a UW Football commit.

http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/2017/dec/22/gonzaga-preps-devin-culp-named-first-team-4a-all-s/

Devin Culp is possibly the best high school football player I have ever seen from our great state of Washington. I have never seen him play hoops but I imagine he is outstanding

cggonzaga
12-23-2017, 01:00 AM
I have never seen him play hoops but I imagine he is outstanding

No offense to Devin but he’s not. Was highly regarded as a freshman but basketball just never panned out. He pretty much provides solid defense and rebounding at this point.

Zagdawg
12-23-2017, 09:07 AM
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/high-school/article191391794.html

Birddog
12-23-2017, 09:51 AM
They locked up on the defensive side,” Wilson coach Dave Alwert said. “We tried to force offense. When we didn’t score at a good rate, we forced the action, our guards overdribbled and we got rushed.
He could have been talking about the Zags on Thurs.

vandalzag
12-23-2017, 10:44 AM
No offense to Devin but he’s not. Was highly regarded as a freshman but basketball just never panned out. He pretty much provides solid defense and rebounding at this point.
He was good as a Freshman and then discovered football. Still a solid High School player. Prep is going to be hard to stop when he and Byrd get back to playing. Look out for Tommy Lloyds kid he is a shooter.

cggonzaga
12-23-2017, 12:38 PM
He was good as a Freshman and then discovered football. Still a solid High School player. Prep is going to be hard to stop when he and Byrd get back to playing. Look out for Tommy Lloyds kid he is a shooter.

No question. And they’re already the top team in the state.

Mantua
12-24-2017, 02:37 PM
No question. And they’re already the top team in the state.

Richland might give Prep some trouble. They are 9-0 and have Riley Sorn, a senior 7’3" center.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/riley-sorn-7-foot-3-richland-washington-basketball

demian
12-24-2017, 03:08 PM
I watched G Prep play here in Yakima yesterday vs Davis HS and I thought Anton Watson looked real good. Versatile player.

northsidezagfan
12-24-2017, 08:23 PM
http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/2017/dec/23/boys-basketball-gonzaga-prep-improves-to-10-0-afte/

24 points for Anton vs Davis

northsidezagfan
01-06-2018, 10:06 AM
21 in essentially 2 quarters vs Central Valley

WallaWallaZag
01-06-2018, 10:08 AM

are there any future games where he'll match up with div 1 talent?

vandalzag
01-06-2018, 10:21 AM
are there any future games where he'll match up with div 1 talent?

In the GSL he will have 1 or maybe 2 more against the 6' 9" kid from Uhigh who is going to Idaho. Most likely will run into Richland once or twice they have 1 or 2 D1 kids. Most likely a couple more at the State tourney if Prep moves forward.

jazzdelmar
01-06-2018, 10:23 AM
In the GSL he will have 1 or maybe 2 more against the 6' 9" kid from Uhigh who is going to Idaho. Most likely will run into Richland once or twice they have 1 or 2 D1 kids. Most likely a couple more at the State tourney if Prep moves forward.

Quite a gauntlet. Hope he goes to some select summer camps: Lebron, Nike, et al.

WallaWallaZag
01-06-2018, 10:34 AM

too bad g-prep isn't 3a...state would be fun...wonder if there are any other high major 4a talents...idaho-level doesn't really get one too excited.

zag buddy
01-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Didn't watson go to post falls hs in Idaho and transfer to gonzaga prep?

vandalzag
01-06-2018, 11:13 AM
too bad g-prep isn't 3a...state would be fun...wonder if there are any other high major 4a talents...idaho-level doesn't really get one too excited.

It would be fun to watch them in the 3A. Most of the top schools in Seattle are glorified AAU teams and run to state will be a meat grinder.

vandalzag
01-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Didn't watson go to post falls hs in Idaho and transfer to gonzaga prep?

Lives in CDA started at Prep as a Freshman. The ex-hack writer for the Spokesman Greg Lee likes to refer to him as a transfer, but that is because Lee is an Idaho guy.

hooter73
01-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Would love to see Watson in camp after clinic etc all summer long.

cggonzaga
01-06-2018, 01:25 PM

Couple things. I personally think Prep and Richland are the best teams in the state regardless of classification. Ferris isn’t fair behind.

As for Christensen at U-High, he’s pretty legit. Very high motor for a big strong kid and good athleticism. Idaho will probably win the Big Sky this year and it wouldn’t shock me if they won a game in the tournament.

a13coach
01-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Was at the game last night and yes AW had a pretty easy night going against a 6'4" Soph and 6'9" Frosh (who needs a good year to acclimate to his size) and then CV throwing a bunch of 6'1-2" guys at him. Double teaming left Prep's Jamaari Jones to feast. The game was very easy for AW and he even seemed a bit aloof but he could score at will against the lack of size or experience.

Mantua
01-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Today in a new poll, MaxPreps has GPrep ranked #23 in its national computer rankings. 3A Garfield is not in in the top 25 in the computer rankings, but is ranked #14 on MaxPrep’s National Excellence rankings and Prep doesn’t make the top 25.

WallaWallaZag
01-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Couple things. I personally think Prep and Richland are the best teams in the state regardless of classification. Ferris isn’t fair behind.
As for Christensen at U-High, he’s pretty legit. Very high motor for a big strong kid and good athleticism. Idaho will probably win the Big Sky this year and it wouldn’t shock me if they won a game in the tournament.

don't follow closely enough to know, so i'll take your word for it...wouldn't surprise me as great coaching and team play can overcome individual talent anyways, and i would say past zag teams have exemplified this.
my point was that i'd like to see watson match up against other high-major talent as those results are a much better indicator of ability at the next level...more so than overall team success

jazzdelmar
01-10-2018, 05:43 AM
don't follow closely enough to know, so i'll take your word for it...wouldn't surprise me as great coaching and team play can overcome individual talent anyways, and i would say past zag teams have exemplified this.
my point was that i'd like to see watson match up against other high-major talent as those results are a much better indicator of ability at the next level...more so than overall team success

That’s what I’m talking about.

vandalzag
01-10-2018, 06:35 AM

The majority of the evaluation occurs during AAU and summer camps that is where he has played against the high level talent you interested in seeing and what resulted in his being offered. Very little weight is put into how that players do within their HS league due to the lack of comp.

ZagNative
01-10-2018, 11:40 AM
From today's S-R: (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/09/gsl-boys-anton-watson-scores-30-points-and-gonzaga/)

Anton Watson scored 30 points and visiting Gonzaga Prep (13-0, 7-0) beat Rogers (5-7, 2-3) 62-55 in Greater Spokane League play on Tuesday.

G-Prep used a 17-8 run in the second quarter to take a 40-18 lead into intermission then withstood Rogers’ 25-19 fourth-quarter advantage to hold on to the win.

Liam Lloyd added 17 points for the Bullpups, who entered play rated No. 1 in state 4A in the latest WIAA RPI.

northsidezagfan
01-10-2018, 03:59 PM
http://usatodayhss.com/2018/super-25-computer-regional-boys-basketball-rankings-week-6/amp?__twitter_impression=true

USA Today has Prep at #7 in the country!

ZagNative
01-13-2018, 01:20 PM
From the S-R yesterday, "Anton Watson scores 24 points to guide Gonzaga Prep past Lewis and Clark" (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/12/anton-watson-scores-24-points-to-guide-gonzaga-pre/http://)

Gonzaga Prep entered Friday’s game against Greater Spokane League rival Lewis and Clark rated No. 1 in state Class 4A. It looked every bit the part.

Anton Watson scored 24 points, including 18 in the first half, and the Bullpups (14-0, 8-0) systematically handled the visiting 16th-rated Tigers (8-6, 5-3) 64-25.

“We came out with great energy, great focus,” Gonzaga Prep coach Matty McIntryre said. “I thought we did a good job getting the ball where it needed to go for us to be successful. Simple plays are winning plays. We kept the game very simple tonight and I was proud of that.”

Jamaari Jones had 13 points and Jacob Parola added 10 for G-Prep, which held LC to single digits in each of the four quarters.

“We put a lot of emphasis and pride in our defense,” McIntyre said. “We think the defense can come every night and play intensely.

WallaWallaZag
01-14-2018, 07:47 AM
The majority of the evaluation occurs during AAU and summer camps that is where he has played against the high level talent you interested in seeing and what resulted in his being offered. Very little weight is put into how that players do within their HS league due to the lack of comp.

i actually think (and i know at least a few coaches who agree with me) that the big-time high school team tournaments where top teams match up regardless of classification/location are where the best evals take place as there is better coaching involved and teams actually run offense and play defense. for instance, the spalding hoophall classic going on right now...

vandalzag
01-14-2018, 08:58 AM
i actually think (and i know at least a few coaches who agree with me) that the big-time high school team tournaments where top teams match up regardless of classification/location are where the best evals take place as there is better coaching involved and teams actually run offense and play defense. for instance, the spalding hoophall classic going on right now...

Agreed basically saying same thing that the evals have nothing to do with how they perform in their regular leagues, since D1 players are the exception.

ZagNative
01-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Tonight's game vs. University (http://www.nwprepsnow.com/games/2018/jan/16/45387/): Gonzaga Prep 64, University 57

Anton Watson scored 37 points as the Bullpups (9-0 GSL) pulled away late to close out the feisty Titans (2-7). Tanner Christenson's 13 points led the Titans, who pulled within a single point after three quarters after trailing by double digits in the first half.

hooter73
01-17-2018, 08:13 AM
That'a boy! When he turns it on and turns it up, Watson can put up the numbers.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Tonight's game vs. University (http://www.nwprepsnow.com/games/2018/jan/16/45387/): Gonzaga Prep 64, University 57

That's crazy that he scored 37 out of their total 64 points. And this kid still has a whole nother year to continue to grow physically and skill wise. He may wind up being our highest rated recruit ever and he's right in their own backyard. Pretty cool!

Mantua
01-17-2018, 09:39 AM

Watson drew a lot of fouls, making 13 out of 17 free throws and 12 field goals.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Watson drew a lot of fouls, making 13 out of 17 free throws and 12 field goals.

Do you think he winds up being a three or a four for us? Or similar to Rui, where he can play both? Thanks

hooter73
01-17-2018, 10:10 AM
That's crazy that he scored 37 out of their total 64 points. And this kid still has a whole nother year to continue to grow physically and skill wise. He may wind up being our highest rated recruit ever and he's right in their own backyard. Pretty cool!

No, but he may be dang good if his IQ continues to grow and develop. Right now he's bigger and more skilled than everybody he plays against, but the competition is not exactly Montverde Academy...

hooter73
01-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Do you think he winds up being a three or a four for us? Or similar to Rui, where he can play both? Thanks

I dont see him as being able to defend a quick wing or a real power forward as of yet. Depends on which way his development goes. Speed verses strength remains to be seen which way he goes.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 10:18 AM
No, but he may be dang good if his IQ continues to grow and develop. Right now he's bigger and more skilled than everybody he plays against, but the competition is not exactly Montverde Academy...

Agreed, but I believe Austin day or Zach Collins were our highest recruited players to this point ever. I think both were in the high 30s if memory serves me correct. Watson has a chance to go even higher than them at the end of next season.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 10:19 AM
I dont see him as being able to defend a quick wing or a real power forward as of yet. Depends on which way his development goes. Speed verses strength remains to be seen which way he goes.

What do you mean "as of yet"? I was specifically asking for projection, down the road. What people think his position will be for us.

cggonzaga
01-17-2018, 10:53 AM
What do you mean "as of yet"? I was specifically asking for projection, down the road. What people think his position will be for us.

I think he’s another Rui but closer to a 4 than 3. I think hooter is underestimating Watson due to body language. That’s just Anton though. He’s like Robinson Cano in that he makes it look so easy that it appears he isn’t giving 100% effort. Next thing you know he’s gone for 37 against another D1 big. Hooter is also underestimating the GSL like many on the west side do. Yet the GSL constantly represents very well in the state tournaments.

sittingon50
01-17-2018, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=cggonzaga;1352321] He’s like Robinson Cano in that he makes it look so easy that it appears he isn’t giving 100% effort. QUOTE]

CANO ISN'T GIVING 100% EFFORT WHEN HE JOGS DOWN TO 1ST ON AN INFIELD GROUNDER!@#$%^&

(*thread derail*)

hooter73
01-17-2018, 12:11 PM
My "as of yet" was to mean nobody, himself included, knows what his body type will be like yet. He's 16 years old right now I think. He could grow to 6'11 or put on 40 pounds of muscle or see dramatic improvements to his foot speed while remaining a skinnier 6'8. Its just an unknown. No malcontent intended. I am very excited to follow his career.

Goshzagit
01-17-2018, 12:11 PM
an underrated aspect to Watson's game is his ability to draw contact/fouls.

he shoots an enormous amount of FT's every game.

this is tougher than it seems and often overlooked -- either going to get a foul called or score. Love it.

overall, Zags ranked around 140th in FT's attempted, meaning we don't draw many fouls compared to other teams, its a good skill to have or add to this squad.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 12:13 PM
My "as of yet" was to mean nobody, himself included, knows what his body type will be like yet. He's 16 years old right now I think. He could grow to 6'11 or put on 40 pounds of muscle or see dramatic improvements to his foot speed while remaining a skinnier 6'8. Its just an unknown. No malcontent intended. I am very excited to follow his career.

Ok, fair enough

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 12:15 PM

this is tougher than it seems and often overlooked -- either going to get a foul called or score. Love it.

Yeah, that's why I am hoping he can add the three ball and become a true small forward that can slash to the hoop and get five or six free throws every game. He would be a great mismatch.

cggonzaga
01-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that's why I am hoping he can add the three ball and become a true small forward that can slash to the hoop and get five or six free throws every game. He would be a great mismatch.

Don’t get it wrong, Anton can shoot the 3. Just not a huge part of Prep’s offense. Obviously they’d rather have him scoring at will closer to the basket.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Don’t get it wrong, Anton can shoot the 3. Just not a huge part of Prep’s offense. Obviously they’d rather have him scoring at will closer to the basket.

He can? That's good to know. Would you say his game is similar to Rui's, but just a few inches shorter?

hooter73
01-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Not many people's games are like Rui's. More so Anton is a tall wing with a mid range game and can play a bit under the basket because he's taller than everyone. Although that is Rui's game in Japan too now that I type it. Anton is plenty dynamic, not as explosive.

DixieZag
01-17-2018, 04:03 PM

overall, Zags ranked around 140th in FT's attempted, meaning we don't draw many fouls compared to other teams, its a good skill to have or add to this squad.

Can stop a lot of runs by just getting someone to the line once or twice.

Rui would seem to be a good candidate on this team, or Norvelle.

cggonzaga
01-17-2018, 04:55 PM
He can? That's good to know. Would you say his game is similar to Rui's, but just a few inches shorter?

I’d say his and Rui’s games are pretty similar. He’s not as explosive as Rui but plenty athletic. I’m pretty sure we’ll see Anton mix it up from perimeter and interior this upcoming AAU season into next basketball season. I’ve heard Few is very high on Anton.

Worthington
01-17-2018, 09:12 PM
I think he ends up as a small forward. He's got NBA size and length for the position and moves like a wing, but needs to develop his ball skills and three point shot to play on the perimeter at the division 1 level. His intangibles are already through the roof. Watson is graceful and smooth in comparison to Rui's strong and overpowering.

ZagNative
01-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Scorebook Live Report (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/37261-gonzaga-prep-vs-ferris/recap)

Gonzaga Prep edges Ferris 61-57

Jan 19, 2018

Gonzaga Prep - Gonzaga Prep's Anton Watson led the way with 17 points as the Bullpups beat Ferris 61-57 in a game at Gonzaga Prep." Watson's points came on 6 field goals and 5 of 10 free throws during the game. Ferris was led by Shamrock Campbell's 20 points and Michael Ervin added 16. Ferris fell to 10-3 overall while Gonzaga Prep improved their record to 16-0. Ferris' next game is scheduled to be played at Mead High School on Tuesday Jan. 23 at 5:30pm versus Mead. Gonzaga Prep will host North Central on Tuesday Jan. 23 at 5:30pm.

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Scorebook Live Report (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/37261-gonzaga-prep-vs-ferris/recap)

hope the free throw shooting this game was an aberration...otherwise that's got to improve by a lot if he's going to play wing.

MDABE80
01-19-2018, 09:10 PM
This is a good outcome beating Ferris. 16-0 and headed to the playoffs soon. Those kids could win the 4A championship. Usually Anton is better with FT's. He's got lots of development to do if he's going to get lots of minutes at GU. He's got time though. I wish Ravet would come over.

Mantua
01-19-2018, 09:38 PM
The three best scorers for Ferris are seniors. Ferris is very aggressive and will be a huge threat in the GSL and Regional Finals. Those seniors are going to be motivated. The good news for Prep is that Ferris has six graduating seniors and only three juniors, so next year looks good for the Bullpups.

Thanks for posting the Scorebook Live link, ZN. I should have. I was leisurely mousing over the stats and Twitter and the Northwest Preps site.

I was surprised that Watson missed the last two free throws which were also the last two shots in the game. Ferris is a very good team and probably wore him out.

Check out the pictures and game story:
http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/2018/jan/19/top-rated-gonzaga-prep-stays-undefeated-with-an-ov/

a13coach
01-20-2018, 10:53 AM
This is a good outcome beating Ferris. 16-0 and headed to the playoffs soon. Those kids could win the 4A championship. Usually Anton is better with FT's. He's got lots of development to do if he's going to get lots of minutes at GU. He's got time though. I wish Ravet would come over.

Question Doc, is this wish merely so that Ravet could get some playing time w/Anton?

MDABE80
01-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Yes. That would
Likely help a lot. I wonder though if a major step up in competition

and daily practice might help him perfect or
At least improve his all around game.

a13coach
01-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Yes. That would
Likely help a lot. I wonder though if a major step up in competition

and daily practice might help him perfect or
At least improve his all around game.

From a player development perspective I agree that would benefit young Mr. Ravet but from a team/coach perspective I would not recommend such a move. For one it would only be for a year and currently the Prep system is built out for several years (oodles of players that have and are in the system) so it would be a challenge to introduce a newcomer to the system and possibly disrupt the team chemistry. Secondly that would also have quite the impact on the Kititas team. At this age teaching the kids how to work with lesser talent and putting their team first is vital. Plus in the long run Prep is already fighting the perception as a AAU-like built team no need to lead them further down that path and become a Monte Verdi or Huntington Prep type school.

cggonzaga
01-23-2018, 11:45 PM
http://www.nwprepsnow.com/videos/2018/jan/23/north-central-vs-gonzaga-prep-boys-high-school-bas/

I truly believe we’re looking at our 2nd burger boy when it’s all said and done.

Also, I’ve heard rumblings Watson and Ravet may team up in AAU this summer.

hooter73
01-24-2018, 08:55 AM
AAU and camps would be the best thing in the world for him basketball wise this summer. Anymore I honestly dont know how many kids get to the AA status without having had a personal trainer since they became a teenager.

A little exaggeration but I doubt its that far off. With being a GU verbal commit I dont know how much he can really do at the University as far as playing with the teams, getting instruction etc. NCAA rules and all that.

CDC84
01-24-2018, 09:44 AM

Yeah, we don't have guards and wings who attack the basket that much. Anyone know how Watson is as a foul shooter? It's one thing to get to the foul line, but you have to hit the shots. Hopefully he's at least around 78%. Even better if he's like Hachimura.

cggonzaga
01-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Yeah, we don't have guards and wings who attack the basket that much. Anyone know how Watson is as a foul shooter? It's one thing to get to the foul line, but you have to hit the shots. Hopefully he's at least around 78%. Even better if he's like Hachimura.

I’d say 75% or better. Anton has a nice stroke.

Mantua
01-24-2018, 11:05 AM

http://www.nwprepsnow.com/teams/gonzaga-prep-basketball-boys-17/

Watson made 5-6 free throws last night.

You can see the most of the minimal box scores for Prep’s season if you click on each game, (no box score available for Genesis). I’d figure out his free throw percentage if I weren’t at working right now.

MDABE80
01-24-2018, 12:48 PM
I randomly scanned 6 games. Nothing under 50% and 100% in some..like 9-9 or 9-10.
I guess about 75%.

maynard g krebs
01-24-2018, 03:36 PM
http://www.nwprepsnow.com/teams/gonzaga-prep-basketball-boys-17/

Watson made 5-6 free throws last night.

You can see the most of the minimal box scores for Prep’s season if you click on each game, (no box score available for Genesis). I’d figure out his free throw percentage if I weren’t at working right now.

82/106 if I added right and didn't skip a game somewhere. A shade over 77%.

cggonzaga
01-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Shade over 6 attempts per game. Not bad for a player that doesn’t primarily play from the block.

Mantua
01-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Thanks Maynard G!

For those who don’t follow the GSL it’s useful to know that Ferris was ranked as high as 4th in the State rankings and is coached by Sean Mallon. When Anton plays in games a against other good teams, there is a target on his back. He looked exhausted after the Ferris game. Ferris seniors swarmed him during the entire game. When Prep plays weaker teams, Anton gets to rest on the bench for whole quarters. Next year Prep will be playing without two graduating defenders and good athletes, Sam Lockett and Devin Culp.

MDABE80
01-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Losing Sam is big but 4-5 will be back. It'll be a great team. This league is a decent league but nowhere near bigger city leagues. Watson is doing very well. But he's a long kid who's in the 6-7 6-8 range and a decent athlete. He's got quite a way to go to be an McD's AA. G-prep could win the State title this year if they don't get nuked by some superior kids from the bigger city. Matty's a great coach and gets the most out of his kids. He coaches solid play not so much the high flyer flashy routine. He wins with his formula.

cggonzaga
01-24-2018, 11:17 PM
Losing Sam is big but 4-5 will be back. It'll be a great team. This league is a decent league but nowhere near bigger city leagues. Watson is doing very well. But he's a long kid who's in the 6-7 6-8 range and a decent athlete. He's got quite a way to go to be an McD's AA. G-prep could win the State title this year if they don't get nuked by some superior kids from the bigger city. Matty's a great coach and gets the most out of his kids. He coaches solid play not so much the high flyer flashy routine. He wins with his formula.

Couldn’t disagree more but what’s new. League is obviously better than you think otherwise they wouldn’t fair as well as they do at the state tournament. Calling Watson a decent athlete is insulting. He has work to do to become a burger boy but he’s not that far off. Especially considering he’s already ranked in the 50’s right now despite not a lot of exposure. Prep possibly loses at state but it won’t be to a superior or more athletic team.

MDABE80
01-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Comparison to what's usually on the McD's team, I doubt he's a strong candidate but who knows//he may develop. This City league is not weak but it's not a high end league. To wit.....very unusual that any of these players find their way to an upper D1 squad. Indisputable. As far as athletic teams, take a look at the teams from the Seattle area.3A or 4A. Prep is a big better as a fundamental team and so they win often but when it comes to the leapers and such, it's not very close. Your opinion is yours.....mine is different after watching and plying in the league for decades. To each his own.....

cggonzaga
01-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Prep is a big better as a fundamental team and so they win often but when it comes to the leapers and such, it's not very close

There isn’t a team more athletic than Prep in the state. Maybe as athletic but not more. The Kentwood team that beat Prep in the semi’s last year by 3 and won the state championship by 20, stated Prep was the best, most athletic team they’d played all year. I’m not saying it has always been this way but certainly in the past few years.

doctorzag
01-25-2018, 11:24 AM
New 247 rankings out today have Watson up to #46 in the country.

northsidezagfan
01-25-2018, 11:41 AM
There isn’t a team more athletic than Prep in the state. Maybe as athletic but not more. The Kentwood team that beat Prep in the semi’s last year by 3 and won the state championship by 20, stated Prep was the best, most athletic team they’d played all year. I’m not saying it has always been this way but certainly in the past few years.

I agree with this. It's a far cry from even the teams of a dozen or so years ago when I was there.

cggonzaga
01-25-2018, 12:12 PM
New 247 rankings out today have Watson up to #46 in the country.

Very nice!

MDABE80
01-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Good to know Cqq. They don't look like it to my eye,.....but so be it. If anyone might remember a pair at LC ie Frank Taylor and Lance Brigham, you'd know what I mean by GSL ( wasn't created yet by most of the teams were the same) athleticism. Pretty rare to have a superior athlete these days. But given the lack of D1 players coming out of the league, I'd say the local league simply doesn't match up with other city leagues. A team may be great but the league itself is substandard for a population of 650,000. Prep is very good this year...........no doubt. We'll see what happens...

Watson though, at #47 is progressing nicely. He's got more time to develop skills. Who knows, he may grow and shoot 3's like a pro. I hope so.

cggonzaga
01-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Good to know Cqq. They don't look like it to my eye,.....but so be it. If anyone might remember a pair at LC ie Frank Taylor and Lance Brigham, you'd know what I mean by GSL ( wasn't created yet by most of the teams were the same) athleticism. Pretty rare to have a superior athlete these days. But given the lack of D1 players coming out of the league, I'd say the local league simply doesn't match up with other city leagues. A team may be great but the league itself is substandard for a population of 650,000. Prep is very good this year...........no doubt. We'll see what happens...

Watson though, at #47 is progressing nicely. He's got more time to develop skills. Who knows, he may grow and shoot 3's like a pro. I hope so.

I understand you’re talking about other cities as well but just in reference to Seattle this year there is what...4-5 D1 players? City of 3 million? Spokane has 3 most likely with a generous population of 650k. Times have changed a bit.

Again, I agree Watson has some work to do but he certainly isn’t far off from AA status. I think we’ll see a big jump over the summer especially if him and Ravet team up.

MDABE80
01-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Great ! But who are the 3 this or next year. Watson's a 2019 kid. I don't know any any higher end D1 kids coming out this year.

cggonzaga
01-25-2018, 05:50 PM
Great ! But who are the 3 this or next year. Watson's a 2019 kid. I don't know any any higher end D1 kids coming out this year.

Christensen at U-High going to Idaho. Smith at LC will be D1 somewhere. Have heard Eastern possibly. Campbell at Ferris possibly ends up D1.

northsidezagfan
01-27-2018, 10:08 AM
http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/2018/jan/26/gsl-boys-gonzaga-prep-routs-mead-to-remain-undefea/

19 for Anton last night as Prep clobbers Mead.

ZagNative
02-02-2018, 09:00 AM
From the Spokesman-Review: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/feb/01/gsl-boys-anton-watson-helps-gonzaga-prep-to-undefe/#/1

Junior Anton Watson scored 16 points and Gonzaga Prep won its third consecutive 4A Greater Spokane League boys regular-season title in style – completing an undefeated season in the process – as the Bullpups defeated visiting Central Valley 60-43 on Thursday.

Liam Lloyd added 12 points – all on 3-pointers – for Gonzaga Prep (20-0, 14-0), rated No. 1 in Class 4A in the WIAA RPI system.

exclusivelee
05-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Lucky to gain such an early commitment from Anton Watson. Accolades and invitations are piling up for the kid who is in Fewie's backyard. Among the 32 selected to the U18 US men's national team tryouts, as well as to the prestigious NBPA Top 100 Camp:
https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Gonzagas-2019-Commit-Anton-Watson-Will-Be-Trying-To-Earn-A-Spot-On-The-U-18-Team-118098340

cjm720
05-10-2018, 01:59 PM
I have a feeling Anton might’ve our highest ranking incoming player ever...

caldwellzag
05-10-2018, 02:08 PM

I agree, I think he could be top 50 on the next ranking and higher if he has a great senior year. Kid is going to be special.

soccerdud
05-10-2018, 02:52 PM

until dom harris :)

no shade @anton there.

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 03:04 PM
until dom harris :)

no shade @anton there.

Very much. Dom is going to do some special things on the court. I don't think everyone quite gets that, yet. We're not talking about some nice "Hey, he cracked the Top 50. Good for him." recruit. He has Top 1-3 in the draft by Freshman or Sophomore year potential.

zagsfanforlife
05-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Very much. Dom is going to do some special things on the court. I don't think everyone quite gets that, yet. We're not talking about some nice "Hey, he cracked the Top 50. Good for him." recruit. He has Top 1-3 in the draft by Freshman or Sophomore year potential.

Wait, what?

Like 1st overall pick in the draft? He looks like he is going to be special.. i agree.. and love what Shawn is doing with his son, but ???? that is pretty ambitious, sir.

cggonzaga
07-05-2018, 08:05 AM
https://twitter.com/hoopreview/status/1014742714640822272?s=21

hooter73
07-05-2018, 08:29 AM
Wow! That a boy!

Zagdawg
07-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Gonzaga Guru

@GonzagaGuru
40m40 minutes ago
More
Anton Watson unloaded 33 points, along with 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks, & 1 steal on 10/14 2 PT, 1/1 3 PT, & 10/13 FT.
Liam Lloyd had a strong outing with 17 points & 3 rebounds on 5/8 3 PT & 1/3 2PT. My oh my @twonster4080 is having a strong week vs top talent

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1017941288757297152

thespywhozaggedme
07-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Gonzaga Guru

@GonzagaGuru
40m40 minutes ago
More
Anton Watson unloaded 33 points, along with 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks, & 1 steal on 10/14 2 PT, 1/1 3 PT, & 10/13 FT.
Liam Lloyd had a strong outing with 17 points & 3 rebounds on 5/8 3 PT & 1/3 2PT. My oh my @twonster4080 is having a strong week vs top talent

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1017941288757297152

That stat line is absurd! 9 assists to boot!?!?!?

MontanaCoyote
07-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Anton a freshman in ‘19?