PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Reports

zag buddy
06-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Very few of our players played. Williams, Jones and Wade played. All played extremely well. I will report more tomorrow.

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Very few of our players played. Williams, Jones and Wade played. All played extremely well. I will report more tomorrow.

Thanks, these summer reports help me get my out of town fix.

Zippyzaggy
06-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Not many past Zags present either. Gary Bell and Dranginis played on the skins team. Gary's pregnant wife and son were there. Future Zags?

Really liked getting my first close up look at Jesse Wade. He was hitting from nba range and he rarely missed during warm ups. In the scrimmage he more than held his own hitting a couple deep 3s. He looks to be in great condition. Reminds me of Pangos with better handles, bigger, more athleticism, and dare I say...might be a better three point shooter?

Our only center, Jacob Larson, sat on the sidelines. He did not play. I found that worrisome as he was the only player who didn't. He didn't even throw up any shots during warmups. Thought he'd be recovered from his knee injury by now.

Donny Daniels and Tommy Lloyd were present but didn't coach. Just watched off and on.

Hoping for more players to show up for the next ones. By the way, you can't enter via the back of the Martin Centre anymore because of construction. Entrance from the other side. Scrimmage started at about 10 pm after camp game ended.

*quick blurb on Williams -best player on the floor. He owned the paint
** Melson and Norvell showed up but sat in the stands

Zagdawg
06-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Thank you for sharing!

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Reminds me of Pangos with better handles, bigger, more athleticism,

Pretty much how I see Wade. Hope you're right on the perimeter shooting. Would you say he also scores in more ways than Pangos did?

If there were hardly any players there who were they playing against?

Zippyzaggy
06-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Pretty much how I see Wade. Hope you're right on the perimeter shooting. Would you say he also scores in more ways than Pangos did?

Yes, he'll be able to create more in the paint. Being faster with better handles will be a definite plus over Pangos. He was playing against Gary Bell and Kyle Dranginis and did well. If I recall, he scored a couple baskets via layups too and added a floater

Zippyzaggy
06-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Thank you for sharing!

My pleasure

MDABE80
06-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Good job zippy! Wade will surprise everyone. Superior player. He'll get the system quickly. The only question I have is how he'll do with D1 guards on the other side of the ball.

Coach Crazy
06-21-2017, 09:18 AM

I think we are going to continue seeing the affirmation that Wade is a little bit of a few of the great's.

There is going to be a ton of jealousy and loathing coming out of Provo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Yes, he'll be able to create more in the paint. Being faster with better handles will be a definite plus over Pangos. He was playing against Gary Bell and Kyle Dranginis and did well. If I recall, he scored a couple baskets via layups too and added a floater

That's encouraging and coincides with another poster that said he and Norvell were the two best players in the game about a month or so ago.

zag buddy
06-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Zippy got it right. Jones did look good also. I believe he will see playing time. The only weakness in his game might be his shooting percentage but hard to tell with one night. Williams is the man,energy,aggressiveness and good decisions. He was the leader. Wade surprised me with his hops. Typical great Gonzaga guard. You can not enter on the south side of the building this year. You have to enter from the north side, using the old kennel entrance I went in then downstairs and like a maze finally found the Gym. Maybe some one could explain an easy way after entering to find the gym. There were two or 3 young players there that I wouldn't mind seeing on the team but I have no idea who they were.

Zags_Fanatic
06-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Any old dogs playing? Was really hoping to catch them putting in reps before the alumni game.

hegotit!
06-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Very promising news on Wade. Does he seem like he is in good basketball shape after the long layoff?

Is there a chance he would crack the starting lineup, or would it take an injury to Josh or Silas for that to happen? Silas is so good as the 6th man but definitely has earned a starting spot.

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 10:22 AM
There were two or 3 young players there that I wouldn't mind seeing on the team but I have no idea who they were.

Was one of them this guy?

http://www.krem.com/img/resize/content.krem.com/photo/2017/06/01/AntonWatson_1496383495376_9620510_ver1.0.JPG?prese t=534-401

basketballzag
06-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Zippy got it right. Jones did look good also. I believe he will see playing time. The only weakness in his game might be his shooting percentage but hard to tell with one night. Williams is the man,energy,aggressiveness and good decisions. He was the leader. Wade surprised me with his hops. Typical great Gonzaga guard. You can not enter on the south side of the building this year. You have to enter from the north side, using the old kennel entrance I went in then downstairs and like a maze finally found the Gym. Maybe some one could explain an easy way after entering to find the gym. There were two or 3 young players there that I wouldn't mind seeing on the team but I have no idea who they were.

I'm excited to see Jeremy Jones play this year because he suffered a really bad high ankle sprain last year in the pre-season scrimmage against Baylor (wore a boot for six weeks). The coaching staff played him sparingly until late Feb where he played a few minutes in some blowout games. I'm really excited to see him play a full season this year injury free because he is poised to break out this year and surprise some people (including Jazz ;).

NotoriousZ
06-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Thank you so much for the info! Does anyone know the best time to go down and watch? I have Fridays off and I'd love to take my kids down there sometime.

Looks like another great find by the staff with Wade. The Wade/Norvell era begins!

Reborn
06-21-2017, 11:29 AM
I remember seeing video of Wade back when GU was recruiting him. I was totally impressed, and believed at that time that he could possibly be as good as The Jimmer. That is high praise.I won't be surprised at all by how good he is because he is THAT good. In my opinion this is the best stable of guards ever at Gonzaga. That includes the '99, and 2000 team which had excellent guards. Perkins, Melson, Norvell, Wade, Ayayl, and Kispert.

zag buddy
06-21-2017, 11:54 AM
cgg, I don't believe I saw him.

zagbeliever
06-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much. Desperate for Zag news. :)

MDABE80
06-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Unless I miss my guess, I suspect Jesse Wade will be at the PG spot by January. Josh will play what he played last year. Silas is a terrific 6th.
Corey can play 2 or 3. Norvelle will be also a serviceable 2 o3. Ayayi might be the best of all at the 1 or 2 spot. Speed to burn with great handles with good shooting. Pound for pound though, I like Wade. A LOT!

hooter73
06-21-2017, 04:51 PM
No need to say I told you so to everyone about Jesse, but... :)

Larsen though is majorly concerning.

cggonzaga
06-21-2017, 05:13 PM

I don't think you're the only one that felt this way hooter ;)

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Are they playing again tonight? Thanks

btzag
06-21-2017, 07:23 PM

Well sounds like perk and Melson were there and also DNP... Now if the report was that he was limping around or on crutches this board would explode. Could also just be rehabbing on the side and not cleared by staff to play pickup games yet. Who knows? I'm not going to freak out. Yet.

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Nothing from tonight?

Zagdawg
06-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Scrimmage starts at 10pm usually

IowaSERE
06-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Scrimmage starts at 10pm usually

Does anyone know if they play on Sunday? I'm going to be in town and would love to see them play.

TheZagster
06-21-2017, 11:48 PM
I remember seeing video of Wade back when GU was recruiting him. I was totally impressed, and believed at that time that he could possibly be as good as The Jimmer. That is high praise.I won't be surprised at all by how good he is because he is THAT good. In my opinion this is the best stable of guards ever at Gonzaga. That includes the '99, and 2000 team which had excellent guards. Perkins, Melson, Norvell, Wade, Ayayl, and Kispert.

PremierBall on Twitter, one of the top high school and college basketball scouts on the west coast said this in February of 2014 in a tweet - "Mark my words '15 G Jesse Wade (Gonzaga) is going to be a legend in Spokane. His skill-set and competitiveness is off the charts. Big-time*" We shouldn't be surprised when Jesse becomes one of the great Gonzaga guards, he was Mr. Basketball in the state of Utah when his competition included Frank Jackson from Lone Peak HS/Duke BlueDevils. Jackson is in the NBA draft this year and is projected to go around #19 or #20 in the first round. Jesse made the decision to serve a higher purpose for two years as a Mormon missionary, and now we get to enjoy his talents in the Kennel, hopefully for four years but who knows, he's gonna be that good. One thing to remember, as good a player as he is going to be for us, he's an even better person. If you get a chance to meet him, take the opportunity, and bring the family.

thespywhozaggedme
06-22-2017, 05:22 AM
Any updates from last night? Thank you

thespywhozaggedme
06-22-2017, 09:18 AM
nothing from last night? I'm like an addict itchin' for a fix. lol

Zags_Fanatic
06-22-2017, 09:56 AM
nothing from last night? I'm like an addict itchin' for a fix. lol

Couldn't go last night but planning on checking it out tonight so I'll have a report after.

BobZag
06-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Let's not so quickly forget just how wonderful Pangos was. If Wade can be close to Pangos, that would be good news. But better than Pangos already? I can't believe that.

jazzdelmar
06-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Let's not so quickly forget just how wonderful Pangos was. If Wade can be close to Pangos, that would be good news. But better than Pangos already? I can't believe that.

With you, Beez. KP held his own in the global challenge vs Rivers, etc al. No comparable track record for JW. But let's hope he shines out of the box.

bartruff1
06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I'll believe it when I see it...

MDABE80
06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015-gonzaga-recruiting/2014/6/2/5770972/gonzaga-commit-jesse-wade-shines-at-pangos-all-american-camp

cggonzaga
06-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Jesse seems like the kind of kid that can't wait to prove people wrong.

MickMick
06-22-2017, 12:33 PM

No doubt.

Any comparison to Pangos that doesn't include assist to turnover ratio is complete bunk and I don't even know if you can derive such a comparison from a scrimmage.

Pangos did not turn the ball over and was a terrific assist man. Distribute the ball without giving it away. That......was his calling card and no Zag has done it better. Assist to turnover ratio is what made Pangos great, not speed or height or whatever other comparisons that are being made to Wade in this thread.

thespywhozaggedme
06-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Still nothing?

Zags_Fanatic
06-22-2017, 09:06 PM
At the Kennel now. Jones, J3, Beach and ??? Vs. Wade, Gray and two unknowns. Wade is an absolute beast right now, looks like he would be ready if the season started yesterday. J3 and Jones also looking very strong. Anton is watching as are Few, Daniels and Tommy Lloyd. Norvell is sitting on the sidelines.

IowaSERE
06-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know if they are scrimmaging Sunday?

MDABE80
06-22-2017, 09:14 PM
They don't play Sunday.

TheZagster
06-22-2017, 09:58 PM
How are things going? Who looks good? What do you mean Wade is an absolute beast right now?

Zags_Fanatic
06-22-2017, 10:19 PM
How are things going? Who looks good? What do you mean Wade is an absolute beast right now?

Seems like they started earlier tonight, I got there at 9:45 and they were already playing and they stopped around 10:15. Only saw 4 current players but J3 and Jesse Wade both looked great.

Wade was knocking down threes and had some spectacular footwork around the basket to make a few baskets. He had active hands and played good D.

J3 is absolutely ripped right now but seemed a little gassed at the end. He had some good athletic plays and seemed to have a nice chemistry playing with Jeremy Jones. I saw him knock down a couple of threes and he was pretty aggressive going to the basket for a pickup game.

Jeremy Jones oozes potential and had some nice plays tonight. Pretty shot from the perimeter, knocked down 1 or 2 3s.

Jack Beach could probably play solid minutes on an early '00s team but he still looks a step or two below Wade.

Norvell didn't play but he made an absurd number of half court shots after the game and was interacting with the HS kids.

jazzdelmar
06-23-2017, 04:36 AM
How long til the Baylor scrim? :D

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 05:43 AM
Seems like they started earlier tonight, I got there at 9:45 and they were already playing and they stopped around 10:15. Only saw 4 current players but J3 and Jesse Wade both looked great.

Wade was knocking down threes and had some spectacular footwork around the basket to make a few baskets. He had active hands and played good D.

J3 is absolutely ripped right now but seemed a little gassed at the end. He had some good athletic plays and seemed to have a nice chemistry playing with Jeremy Jones. I saw him knock down a couple of threes and he was pretty aggressive going to the basket for a pickup game.

Jeremy Jones oozes potential and had some nice plays tonight. Pretty shot from the perimeter, knocked down 1 or 2 3s.

Jack Beach could probably play solid minutes on an early '00s team but he still looks a step or two below Wade.

Norvell didn't play but he made an absurd number of half court shots after the game and was interacting with the HS kids.

Thanks so much. Looks like Wade is gonna become a legend before he plays 1 regular season game. Wonder why Anton didn't play. You gonna be there again tonight? Thanks again

Zags_Fanatic
06-23-2017, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much. Looks like Wade is gonna become a legend before he plays 1 regular season game. Wonder why Anton didn't play. You gonna be there again tonight? Thanks again

Wade definitely looking the part, this year will be awesome for him as he had time to develop off the bench. No scrimmage tonight, it's the Hoopfest Alumni Game! I'll definitely hit up more scrimmages this summer.

WallaWallaZag
06-23-2017, 08:39 AM

norvell sitting on the sidelines once again is a little ominous...really hope this doesn't turn into a blake stepp type of situation...

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Wade definitely looking the part, this year will be awesome for him as he had time to develop off the bench. No scrimmage tonight, it's the Hoopfest Alumni Game! I'll definitely hit up more scrimmages this summer.

Thanks

Zags_Fanatic
06-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Holy crap, after seeing the latest TSSF article I just made the realization that Brock Ravet was the mystery kid playing on the J3 and Jeremy Jones team last night. I just checked him out on twitter and there are lots of people congratulating him on getting an offer from GU (which it sounds like he is going to accept very quickly).

My impressions were that he was holding his own as the youngest player on the court. He had a pretty shot from the perimeter and was able to find a couple of holes in the lane and split defenders that either made our current players look lazy or made Brock look very crafty. His team from Kittitas was there loudly cheering him on during one particularly good stretch.

MDABE80
06-23-2017, 09:39 AM
9 pm was the start time last night. Over by 1015.
Rivet is quite the show.. . ... I always wary about these types of kids. Always look so good until they run into a very good D1 defender. "Wait and see" is always the best policy. He surely looks like a winner though...even at 6 ft- 6 1. He really needs those last two years of HS. Listening the ZN post, I could help but think how close the Kittitas group of players sounds. Very nice kid. The interview was from nearly 3 months ago. Humble kid. Just a team guy even though he's averaged 31 ppg in his first two years.

BUT in Jesse's case, I just think he's just too talented to sit for long. Jesse is going to take some minutes from somebody.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 10:42 AM
9 pm was the start time last night. Over by 1015.
Rivet is quite the show.. . ... I always wary about these types of kids. Always look so good until they run into a very good D1 defender. "Wait and see" is always the best policy. He surely looks like a winner though...even at 6 ft- 6 1. He really needs those last two years of HS. Listening the ZN post, I could help but think how close the Kittitas group of players sounds. Very nice kid. The interview was from nearly 3 months ago. Humble kid. Just a team guy even though he's averaged 31 ppg in his first two years.

BUT in Jesse's case, I just think he's just too talented to sit for long. Jesse is going to take some minutes from somebody.

The poster directly above you just said that he was more than holding his own against our current Zags.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Apparently one of them was Brock Ravet, mystery solved.

zag buddy
06-23-2017, 11:23 AM
If that was Brock he weighed about 130 lbs, played well. After a session he and Dragnis were bouncing the ball and ducking it. Not bad for a kid that looked 12 and about 5'9",

GoZAGsMang
06-23-2017, 11:53 AM
If that was Brock he weighed about 130 lbs, played well. After a session he and Dragnis were bouncing the ball and ducking it. Not bad for a kid that looked 12 and about 5'9",

It would be one thing if he was ducking Vitor Belfort, but I really doubt he was ducking a basketball.

GoZAGsMang

hooter73
06-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Holy crap, after seeing the latest TSSF article I just made the realization that Brock Ravet was the mystery kid playing on the J3 and Jeremy Jones team last night. I just checked him out on twitter and there are lots of people congratulating him on getting an offer from GU (which it sounds like he is going to accept very quickly).

My impressions were that he was holding his own as the youngest player on the court. He had a pretty shot from the perimeter and was able to find a couple of holes in the lane and split defenders that either made our current players look lazy or made Brock look very crafty. His team from Kittitas was there loudly cheering him on during one particularly good stretch.

see now thats pretty cool. If he was goign up agasint our current or the past guards who were there (Bell Dranginis) and he was making it happen, dude will be a great recruit.

MDABE80
06-23-2017, 01:20 PM
If he was offered a ride by the staff, they see something in him. Is he young though!! He says he just work on basketball day and night according to Zag Native's link . He's got the focus. His own work ethic is outstanding. We'll have to wait and see if he continues this pace.

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Any updates? Need me fix. lol Thanks

sittingon50
06-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Any updates? Need me fix. lol Thanks

Am thinking with the alumni game Friday & Hoopfest all weekend that the goings on in K2 might be a bit slow for a few days. Only a guess, however.

ZagsGoZags
06-25-2017, 12:35 PM
How tall is Jesse Wade?
When he committed was it 5'11" ?
Another thread recently witnessed an opinion that he is 6'2" and taller than Kevin Pangos
In here I read six feet.
Does anybody have an informed opinion on this? If he is 6'2" he is close to Josh Perkins ...

Every time I hear somebody concerned about our lack of bigs next year, and hope we Dance
next year, I get worried. The season HBO covered us two years ago was enough excitement
of that kind to last me for another decade, at least.
But I'll tell you who starts drooling
every time he hears we might have weak team coming up:
That would be Randy Bennett. If there is any consistent theme, in my mind, to Bennett is
he will justify his pre season cupcake schedule by expecting to beat the zags once or twice.
His whole system might as well read "We React To GU."
We matched up so well against them last year, and so poorly the year before.
I really want to see us defeat them twice in conference.

cggonzaga
06-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Isn't there team camp again this week?

DixieZag
06-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Can anyone expand on what's keeping Norvelle from scrimmaging? This is worrisome, it would seem.

cggonzaga
06-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Can anyone expand on what's keeping Norvelle from scrimmaging? This is worrisome, it would seem.

Saw him walking around K2 last week after a workout. Looked totally normal.

Zagdawg
06-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Camp schedule

2017 Gonzaga Men's Basketball Summer Camps

June 20-23 Team Camp 1 (BOYS High School Teams)
June 25-28 Team Camp 2 (BOYS High School Teams)
July 13-16 Team Camp 3 (BOYS High School Teams)
July 20-23 Advanced Skills Camp (BOYS Entering Grades 3 - High School)
July 24-26 Fundamental Skills Camp (BOYS & GIRLS Entering Grades 1 - 7)

http://www.gonzagabasketballcamps.com/

Zags_Fanatic
06-27-2017, 12:14 PM

He was shooting around after the scrimmage, knocking down an inordinate number of half court shots. Probably is mostly healed but not yet cleared for full contact.

TexasZagFan
06-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Camp schedule

A potential 2020 signee will be at the camp 7/20-7/23... :pray:

That's if he survives driver's ed the next couple of weeks.

Markburn1
06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
A potential 2020 signee will be at the camp 7/20-7/23... :pray:

That's if he survives driver's ed the next couple of weeks.

Will he be driving to Spokane? Or will it be you?

Bogozags
06-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Will he be driving to Spokane? Or will it be you?

IF TZF has to drive, then thank god for navigation systems, which will make it soooo much easier for a man of his age to find his way "back home" to Spokane! :)

cggonzaga
06-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Camp schedule

Thanks ZD. Wonder if G-Prep is there this week or next? Good opportunity for the locals to check out Watson.

ZagNative
06-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks ZD. Wonder if G-Prep is there this week or next? Good opportunity for the locals to check out Watson.Yup! Per G-Prep's website, they're due at GU basketball camp 2 June 25-28. http://www.gprep.com/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=257812&type=d&pREC_ID=587066

MDABE80
06-27-2017, 02:44 PM
This upcoming season should generate a St championship for Prep. Some very good kids returning.

2wiceright
06-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Good job zippy! Wade will surprise everyone. Superior player. He'll get the system quickly. The only question I have is how he'll do with D1 guards on the other side of the ball.

Bingo, that's why there are so many stars in scrimmages until they get under the lights.... Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a much superior freshman (off mission) be THAT good. Really recommend his book "Can't Miss" lest some of us forget just what he really accomplished as one of 'the' best point guards to wear a Zag Uni. Both individually and unselfishly getting us to the cusp and a bad break (no pun intended G. Bell) or two away from this years team. Still, would have needed Goss, IMHO, to make or win the championship....

zag buddy
07-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Thursday, Friday and Sat b. camp. We should see what players are practicing and how they are coming along. HS boys camp 13-16.

TexasZagFan
07-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Thursday, Friday and Sat b. camp. We should see what players are practicing and how they are coming along. HS boys camp 13-16.

Keep me posted, please. That will give me an idea who's going to be at next week's camp. My grandson wanted to meet Zach, I had to give him the bad news he'll have to wait for when Portland plays the Mavericks.

At this time, I don't know who his favorite Zag will be for next year.

TexasZagFan
07-11-2017, 11:27 AM
IF TZF has to drive, then thank god for navigation systems, which will make it soooo much easier for a man of his age to find his way "back home" to Spokane! :)

I've gotten lazy, since the new "Zagmobile" came with navigation. Comes in handy at times, when I'm trying to find a particular street address. Driving back to GU is a different story, at least for a few more years. I'm like a carrier pigeon, I can find my way back to Spokane, no matter where I may be at the moment...lol.

DixieZag
07-11-2017, 04:24 PM
At this time, I don't know who his favorite Zag will be for next year.

Which makes him just like most of us. Lots of questions.

You won't need navigation on the way home, can go by the sun, keep heading south by southeast and the beauty of Texas is you'll hit it eventually, and I'm sure you can ask directions to DFW-Metro once there. I hear it's a very friendly country.

Just_An_Old_Zag
07-11-2017, 06:54 PM
i always enjoy this thread..wishing i could sit in the stands and watch em...thanks for the updates..one thing let pangos be pangos let ravio be ravio let wade be wade..just not roe v wade...ok j/k that was a joke...comparisons are inevitable but we should let each young man be himself and enjoy him as a Zag among Zags

TexasZagFan
07-12-2017, 05:42 AM
Which makes him just like most of us. Lots of questions.

You won't need navigation on the way home, can go by the sun, keep heading south by southeast and the beauty of Texas is you'll hit it eventually, and I'm sure you can ask directions to DFW-Metro once there. I hear it's a very friendly country.

+1

My wife is making the trip with us, she'll be sure to let me know when I've taken a less desirable route. ;)

thespywhozaggedme
07-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Any reports from last night? I need my fix, I am going through withdrawals. LOL

Zags_Fanatic
07-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Any reports from last night? I need my fix, I am going through withdrawals. LOL

The camps this week are Thursday-Saturday. I'm planning on heading down Thursday and probably Friday.

thespywhozaggedme
07-12-2017, 10:13 AM
The camps this week are Thursday-Saturday. I'm planning on heading down Thursday and probably Friday.

Oh, ok, sorry. I thought they started last night. My bad

sittingon50
07-12-2017, 10:20 AM
+1

My wife is making the trip with us, she'll be sure to let me know when I've taken a less desirable route. ;)

Fortunately my wife still can't read a map & I'm the only GPS in the car. :D

thespywhozaggedme
07-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Tonight, correct? Someone please, please, please post some highlights for us out of town junkies. Thanks in advance

thespywhozaggedme
07-14-2017, 08:15 AM
Anything from last night?

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Sadly had to back out last night, wife got sick so I couldn't make it. Set on heading over tonight, though!

thespywhozaggedme
07-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Sadly had to back out last night, wife got sick so I couldn't make it. Set on heading over tonight, though!

Hope you feel better. Anyone else there last night?

bballbeachbum
07-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Tonight, correct? Someone please, please, please post some highlights for us out of town junkies. Thanks in advance

second this big time! and thanks in advance

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 08:16 PM
At the Kennel now, last camp game is being played so scrimmage should be close to 10 but a report is guaranteed.

thespywhozaggedme
07-14-2017, 08:40 PM
At the Kennel now, last camp game is being played so scrimmage should be close to 10 but a report is guaranteed.

Great! You don't know how badly I need my fix. LOL Thank you so much.

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Kispert, Norvell, Wade, McClellan, Rui(!), Jones, Perkins, Melson, Bell, Beach and J3 in the building so far.

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Norvell, Perk, Melson, JJ and Wade vs. J3, Bell, Beach, Alberts and McClellan to start

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Norvell is killing it so far, a couple of nice threes. Seems to be playing at full speed. J3 the other standout. Kispert just subbed in, knee looks good and he is absolutely ripped, knocked down a quick 3.

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Kispert looks like an All-WCC player right now, he is crushing it on both ends just went up for a followup where is elbows were at the rim. Stroking it from three and playing with a ton of confidence.

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Just finished up, standouts were J3, Kispert, Norvell and Melson in that order. Kispert threw down a 360 dunk to win the last game. Said his knee is perfect which seemed obvious on the court. Wade was quiet but he was sneaky on d and hit a couple of threes. Sadly Rui didn't play but he did warm up before and after.

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Sadly Perkins got injured, looked like his shoulder. He ran off the court immediately and didn't make it back out.

Zagricultural
07-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Sadly Perkins got injured, looked like his shoulder. He ran off the court immediately and didn't make it back out.

Ooh man that is not good at all!!!!

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 10:29 PM
Ooh man that is not good at all!!!!

Don't want to start a panic or anything, he ran off the court but the game kept going and nobody seemed too concerned. Hopefully he's alright.

maynard g krebs
07-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Kispert threw down a 360 dunk to win the last game. Said his knee is perfect which seemed obvious on the court.

Thanks so much for the report, but I'm a bit confused because it's Norvell w/ the knee issue, and Kispert a stress fracture inhis foot.

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for the report, but I'm a bit confused because it's Norvell w/ the knee issue, and Kispert a stress fracture inhis foot.

My mistake, I told him his knee looked great on the last dunk and asked if it was better and he politely agreed and said it was perfect. Now I look like an idiot to Corey and guboards :roll:

bballbeachbum
07-14-2017, 10:47 PM
My mistake, I told him his knee looked great on the last dunk and asked if it was better and he politely agreed and said it was perfect. Now I look like an idiot to Corey and guboards :roll:

no you don't.
much appreciated

maynard g krebs
07-14-2017, 10:56 PM
no you don't.
much appreciated

ditto.

hooter73
07-14-2017, 11:27 PM
Much appreciated and a small reminder not to put too much into individual reports, guys are always working on something so if Wade for example is in a defensive learning mode with his individual growth at the moment, or if kispert is working on his rim finishes, the main takeaway is that the guys are there playing together, growing their continuity with each other. Love hearing about it all!

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Much appreciated and a small reminder not to put too much into individual reports, guys are always working on something so if Wade for example is in a defensive learning mode with his individual growth at the moment, or if kispert is working on his rim finishes, the main takeaway is that the guys are there playing together, growing their continuity with each other. Love hearing about it all!

Could very well be the case for Jesse. Kispert was really impressive in every facet, though. Moving well without the ball, knocking down 3s, slashing to the basket, hustling on defense, blocking shots and following misses. Had a nice high-low pass to J3 for an easy dunk as well. I will also say that he looks a lot more mature than he did 6 months ago and he has been putting in serious time in the weight room because I think he is at the peak of where he needs to be in terms of strength vs. agility. Extremely impressive tonight.

sittingon50
07-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Thanks Fanatic!

MDABE80
07-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Didn't go tonight. Wife's bday. I do thin the new guys have so much talent, they'll be challenging for every minute while still joining a tight knit group from the remains of last year's team. I suppose the core is J3, Tillie, Josh, and Silas. But they new guys will add much. We'll know more after the PK extravaganza and surely more by January. Kispert, Wade and Norvelle should be lights out by then. I do hope Rui adds a lot. 5 winners and good core of 4 returning.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-15-2017, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the report Fanatic!

Thrilled to hear Norvell played and played well...hope he's 100% healthy now. Key piece. The news on Kispert is very exciting. Makes me hope to see some minutes where Zags run late 90's stuff with two guards, two wings and one post. Not a starting lineup but just a rotation that gets Rui and Kispert meaningful minutes:

Perkins / Melson / Kispert / Rui / JWIII
OR...more shooters:
Wade / Norvell / Kispert / Tillie / JWIII

Coaches will have some fun, I hope, cooking up the best lineups and sets with this group.

ZagMan in Philly
07-15-2017, 04:40 AM
Just finished up, standouts were J3, Kispert, Norvell and Melson in that order. Kispert threw down a 360 dunk to win the last game. Said his knee is perfect which seemed obvious on the court. Wade was quiet but he was sneaky on d and hit a couple of threes. Sadly Rui didn't play but he did warm up before and after.

I am surprised that Rui is already back in Spokane. Maybe he is still jet lagging. Good to see him back on campus though. Looking forward to his breakout year with the Zags!

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Thank you so much ZF! The news on Kispert is very exciting. People were saying the same thing about Collins last summer that he was just killing it in the scrimmages. And we see how that went. If Cory is so good Few will not be able to keep him off the court.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 05:23 AM
Apparently Cory is more athletic than many have given him credit for. Unfortunately there's often a stereotype for white players. Really excited to see him and ZN on the
court. Hope Josh'a injury is nothing major.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 05:28 AM
For those that are old enough to remember, would Thunder Dan Marjele be a good comparison for Kispert? Thanks

Reborn
07-15-2017, 05:32 AM
Wow! Great to hear about the new guys. Reading about Kispert is like music to my ears. Maybe it's time for a star in the great state of Washington to shine again. And I just love those kids from Chicago. I must say that I have a regret that Larsen isn't playing. I feel he's a big piece to the puzzle. Does anyone know what's going on with him. Glad to hear Rui is on campus and in the gym. Thanks guys for all the really great reporting.

TexasZagFan
07-15-2017, 05:33 AM
Didn't go tonight. Wife's bday. I do thin the new guys have so much talent, they'll be challenging for every minute while still joining a tight knit group from the remains of last year's team. I suppose the core is J3, Tillie, Josh, and Silas. But they new guys will add much. We'll know more after the PK extravaganza and surely more by January. Kispert, Wade and Norvelle should be lights out by then. I do hope Rui adds a lot. 5 winners and good core of 4 returning.

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Abe!

My grandson is looking forward to seeing the players next week.

Goshzagit
07-15-2017, 05:52 AM

Perkins has had minor shoulder stability issues since high school.

After his shoulder dislocation in HS, he has suffered several subluxations since.

Mostly in practice, but has 'tweake' his shoulder time and time again.

Not surprised no one was concerned. After the muscles calm down, he'll probably be good to go by today. Been this way since he got here. He has these once or twice a season, and off season. Very normal for anyone after they've suffered a dislocation

From what I'm told, he hasnt had subsequent dislocation since he was 18 but some movement/instability in that shoulder. He can generally play through the tweaks, & not something of concern unless it pops out again.

I could see Josh trying the surgery route AFTER he graduated just to tighten things up again.

Great news on Kispert, as I posted a few days ago, watch out for him by mid season taking serious mins on the court. Freakishly strong and skilled for an 18 yr old.

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Wow! Great to hear about the new guys. Reading about Kispert is like music to my ears. Maybe it's time for a star in the great state of Washington to shine again. And I just love those kids from Chicago. I must say that I have a regret that Larsen isn't playing. I feel he's a big piece to the puzzle. Does anyone know what's going on with him. Glad to hear Rui is on campus and in the gym. Thanks guys for all the really great reporting.

Reborn... I wouldn't worry too much about Larsen... he's only 9 months post ACL repair surgery...
Assuming he continues to respond well to his rehab and strengthening programs, I would
Guess he'll be good to go in September

Coach Crazy
07-15-2017, 06:24 AM

Based on the clip of him dunking on Twitter, I'm guessing he stability is getting close to being back. They did wonders with Shem's back, perhaps with Larsen's knee, as well.

ZagMan in Philly
07-15-2017, 06:38 AM
For those that are old enough to remember, would Thunder Dan Marjele be a good comparison for Kispert? Thanks

I hope so spy. Dan M. was a good NBA player, 14th pick in 1988 First Round. Now the head coach at Grand Caynon U. A place where nobody wants to come and play on their court.

3zagda
07-15-2017, 06:46 AM
ZF, Thanks for the report. Its exciting to here how well some of the new guys are playing. I can not wait to see Zach N. play

I have a question: To those who have seen him in person, does Cory look 6'6"? Does he look taller than Zach N.? Josh or Silas?
He sounds like a David Pendergraff type player.

Coach Crazy
07-15-2017, 07:09 AM

I don't see an exact comparison, but it's something I've considered. Marjele seemed longer, more athletic and a little more skilled in his ball handling. I'd have put Dan as 2/3, whereas Corey looks like a big 3, and might play an undersized 4 for some teams.

But even as one of his vocal critics in the past, I'm not sure how he's going to be a surprise at being productive. Which some have floated.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 07:16 AM
I hope so spy. Dan M. was a good NBA player, 14th pick in 1988 First Round. Now the head coach at Grand Caynon U. A place where nobody wants to come and play on their court.

Just from the description they sound very similar; dead eye shooters but also athletic enough to take it to the hole and dunk and extremely active.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 07:18 AM
ZF, Thanks for the report. Its exciting to here how well some of the new guys are playing. I can not wait to see Zach N. play

I have a question: To those who have seen him in person, does Cory look 6'6"? Does he look taller than Zach N.? Josh or Silas?

I don't see the Pendo comparisons at all. David was the epitome of a utility player where as Corey seems to be an Alpha male who eventually will be the leading score on the team. Plus Cory seems head and shoulders more athletic than David.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 07:20 AM
I don't see an exact comparison, but it's something I've considered. Marjele seemed longer, more athletic and a little more skilled in his ball handling. I'd have put Dan as 2/3, whereas Corey looks like a big 3, and might play an undersized 4 for some teams.

But even as one of his vocal critics in the past, I'm not sure how he's going to be a surprise at being productive. Which some have floated.

You've gotta be pretty athletic to do a 360 dunk. I haven seen you post enough here I think you will be man enough to admit that you were dead wrong about Cory, if in fact it turns out that you were.

DixieZag
07-15-2017, 07:25 AM
I don't see the Pendo comparisons at all. David was the epitome of a utility player where as Corey seems to be an Alpha male who eventually will be the leading score on the team. Plus Cory seems head and shoulders more athletic than David.

Pendo was a utility player right up until they needed him to take the lead. Once Heytvelt received his suspension, as I recall, we went through some growing pains and then it was Pendo who became the alpha male and scored far more than previously. As I recall, Pendo's improved play was the only reason we made the tournament that year. Others may have better memory.

DixieZag
07-15-2017, 07:30 AM

No, you don't. You look like a fan who knows enough to know he was dealing with a malingering injury and cared enough to ask. I'm sure he knew it was just a normal mistake and answered regarding the actual injury.

Thank you for the report.

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2017, 07:58 AM

From my angle he was much closer to J3 than Silas Melson and looked like a legit 6'6". That was one of the things that stood out. Corey looked like an elite wing that can do a bit of everything very well and is an athletic monster. He made the 360 dunk look absolutely effortless.

HenneZag
07-15-2017, 08:07 AM
From my angle he was much closer to J3 than Silas Melson and looked like a legit 6'6". That was one of the things that stood out. Corey looked like an elite wing that can do a bit of everything very well and is an athletic monster. He made the 360 dunk look absolutely effortless.

So next year.

Perkins/ Norvell/Kispert to start at 1-3 ...Pretty good 1-3, all can shoot.

GuZag2012
07-15-2017, 08:34 AM
In terms of Kispert, Majerle was a name I thought off for comparison too, but another name I thought of was Wally Szczerbiak as a player. Wally was a big strong forward & great shooter which kinda sounds a bit like Corey.

cggonzaga
07-15-2017, 08:37 AM

Walked by Silas earlier this summer, dude was legit 6'4 if not taller.

Let's keep perspective people. We had a McD's All American that didn't start as a freshman. I'll stick with a starting 1-3 of Perkins, Melson and Norvell. Lots of depth though at the 1-3 so each guy better show up every night.

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2017, 08:44 AM
So next year.

I will be shocked if Silas doesn't start next year. Rui, Norvell and Kispert will likely split time at the 3 with Rui floating between 3-4 and Norvell floating between 2-3 based on matchups. Jeremy Jones was flashing some potential last night as well. As much talent and as many bodies as the squad lost this year they seem to be fully reloaded and there will have to be some tough decisions on minutes again this year.

Goshzagit
07-15-2017, 08:44 AM
In terms of Kispert, Majerle was a name I thought off for comparison too, but another name I thought of was Wally Szczerbiak as a player. Wally was a big strong forward & great shooter which kinda sounds a bit like Corey.

Terrific comparison.

I always thought of Doug McDermott (who is fairly athletic as well), yet I like the Wally-comp better.

Similar body type/style, Szczerbiak used his raw strength in his game, and so does Kispert

DukeSilver
07-15-2017, 08:45 AM
So next year.

Rui and Kispert competing at the 3 has got to be music to Zag fan's ears ... It's been a long time since we've had that much talent at the 3 spot.

HenneZag
07-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Rui and Kispert competing at the 3 has got to be music to Zag fan's ears ... It's been a long time since we've had that much talent at the 3 spot.

Yep I didn't mean to leave out RUI, the wing is looking bright! Kispert probably overall more well rounded, RUI has unlimited potential.

zagsfanforlife
07-15-2017, 09:11 AM
So next year.

I would be shocked if Melson didnt start his senior year

HenneZag
07-15-2017, 09:18 AM
I would be shocked if Melson didnt start his senior year

I agree. Melson is a SR this upcoming season. I'm talking about after this year.

zagsfanforlife
07-15-2017, 09:21 AM
I agree. Melson is a SR this upcoming season. I'm talking about after this year.

Gotcha... not a bad 1-3 eh? Although.... Rui in his junior season??? could be a legit star then...

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Are they playing again tonight?

GoZags
07-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Bingo.

Although I am thinking Sarunas Marcilionius (sp?).

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2017, 09:38 AM
Are they playing again tonight?

Yes they are playing tonight but I won't be able to make it so hopefully someone else will be there. Definitely worth the price of admission to finally see Kispert and Norvell playing.

Coach Crazy
07-15-2017, 09:42 AM
You've gotta be pretty athletic to do a 360 dunk. I haven seen you post enough here I think you will be man enough to admit that you were dead wrong about Cory, if in fact it turns out that you were.

Right. Corey is athletic, and trust me...I very much want to be able to make that comparison. Marjele was built differently and more a dribble-drive threat. But I'd be just fine with Corey producing at that level.

Corey has progressed well. Further than I would have thought. One of my original positions was that I wanted TJ Leaf and Brendan Bailey. So, the jury is still out on some of it.

But I think Corey is going to end up being the barometer by which glue guy's are judged after his career is done. More so than Byron, Drang, and Silas. And no one should be surprised at what he does here. I mean, maybe perhaps a one-and-done or something to that degree.

I at least hope that everyone can move on from worrying about he big's situation as much, and enjoy the fact that Zack, Rui, and Corey may end up on the court at the same time. In transition.

BobZag
07-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Y'all forgetting Wade. Fraschilla basically seconded my opinion. Pangos 2.0

Wade will figure prominently in future Zags plans.

sittingon50
07-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Y'all forgetting Wade. Fraschilla basically seconded my opinion. Pangos 2.0

Wade will figure prominently in future Zags plans.

This.

maynard g krebs
07-15-2017, 11:19 AM

I made that comparison about a year ago. Not that you'll see this post, of course. lol.

maynard g krebs
07-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Every bit of 6'6 compared to other players, maybe 6'7 "in shoes". Haven't seen them side by side but I'd guess CK is between one and two inches taller.

Some similarity to Pendo in terms of motor and smarts, but more athletic and a better passer and shooter imo. I expect a much bigger impact.

VaBeachZAG
07-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Right. Corey is athletic, and trust me...I very much want to be able to make that comparison. Marjele was built differently and more a dribble-drive threat. But I'd be just fine with Corey producing at that level.

Corey has progressed well. Further than I would have thought. One of my original positions was that I wanted TJ Leaf and Brendan Bailey. So, the jury is still out on some of it.

But I think Corey is going to end up being the barometer by which glue guy's are judged after his career is done. More so than Byron, Drang, and Silas. And no one should be surprised at what he does here. I mean, maybe perhaps a one-and-done or something to that degree.

I at least hope that everyone can move on from worrying about he big's situation as much, and enjoy the fact that Zack, Rui, and Corey may end up on the court at the same time. In transition.

To the contrary, I am more concerned than ever about the lack of quality/depth at the 5. Why, because that seems to be the one missing factor that could elevate this team to great heights. These guys sound exceptional from all reports and they deserve a chance to go as far as possible (second weekend or more in the tourney anyone?). Chances of getting there are much more likely with quality and depth at the 5 to match what they seem to have in all other positions. Looks like this could be a very very good team, but it's not complete yet...

IowaSERE
07-15-2017, 12:11 PM

I spoke with a D1 coach in WA that recruits Seattle exclusively, and that was the comparison that I made and he said that it was spot on. He just kept saying how he has such a great motor.

maynard g krebs
07-15-2017, 12:35 PM
To the contrary, I am more concerned than ever about the lack of quality/depth at the 5. Why, because that seems to be the one missing factor that could elevate this team to great heights. These guys sound exceptional from all reports and they deserve a chance to go as far as possible (second weekend or more in the tourney anyone?). Chances of getting there are much more likely with quality and depth at the 5 to match what they seem to have in all other positions. Looks like this could be a very very good team, but it's not complete yet...

I'm with Coach on this. On the college level, the Zags have 5 guys who can play the 4 and/or 5 spot incl CK and Rui.

Look at the Oregon team that made the final 4 this year; started Dillon Brooks at the 4 spot and he was a matchup nightmare playing there. Started 6'8 Jordan Bell at ctr, and he's really a 4; Brooks' real position is wing. They played with essentially two pg's in Pritchard/Ennis, both 6'2 or less, a 6'4 sg in Dorsey, and the above.

A lineup on the floor of, as one example, 6'3 Perkins, 6'5 Norvell, 6'6 Kispert, 6'8 Rui, w/ 6'9 JW3 or 6'10 Tillie is big by college standards, fast in transition at all spots, and can all shoot the 3. (Has me thinking of the famed Carolina secondary break). There is plenty of size and versatility as is.

Anybody would still love to see one of the Euro bigs added- who wouldn't?- but it's more of a luxury/injury insurance than a need imo. Love the roster as is.

zag buddy
07-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Tonight is the last night of this session to see them play.
Remaining schedule to see them play is July 20,21,22 & 24 and 25. This is correct I believe.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Tonight is the last night of this session to see them play.
Remaining schedule to see them play is July 20,21,22 & 24 and 25. This is correct I believe.

Will you be there to give us a first-hand report? Thanks

VaBeachZAG
07-15-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm with Coach on this. On the college level, the Zags have 5 guys who can play the 4 and/or 5 spot incl CK and Rui.

Look at the Oregon team that made the final 4 this year; started Dillon Brooks at the 4 spot and he was a matchup nightmare playing there. Started 6'8 Jordan Bell at ctr, and he's really a 4; Brooks' real position is wing. They played with essentially two pg's in Pritchard/Ennis, both 6'2 or less, a 6'4 sg in Dorsey, and the above.

A lineup on the floor of, as one example, 6'3 Perkins, 6'5 Norvell, 6'6 Kispert, 6'8 Rui, w/ 6'9 JW3 or 6'10 Tillie is big by college standards, fast in transition at all spots, and can all shoot the 3. (Has me thinking of the famed Carolina secondary break). There is plenty of size and versatility as is.

Anybody would still love to see one of the Euro bigs added- who wouldn't?- but it's more of a luxury/injury insurance than a need imo. Love the roster as is.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't like the idea of Williams or Tillie being forced to play major minutes under the basket. I loved the idea of basically platooning the bigs as was done last season (i.e., Collins and Tillie team subbing with PK and Williams). I don't look forward to facing the likes of Landale without depth at the 5. Others are, of course, free to disagree and that's fine, lets just see how it plays out the upcoming season.

HenneZag
07-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Did they change the entrance to get into the kennel to watch the scrimmages, I plan on going tonight.

zag buddy
07-15-2017, 04:30 PM
If I don't lay down I will go. You have to enter on the north side.

HenneZag
07-15-2017, 04:39 PM
If I don't lay down I will go. You have to enter on the north side.

Cool. So Northside entrance on the actual Kennel?

GrizZAG
07-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Anxiously await coming reports. This is a great thread and thanks to those who share.

Spokaneer
07-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Is Larsen on campus?

Spokaneer
07-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the report. This team will be athletic with the ability to defend!
Looking forward to the season.

El Zag
07-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Remember Corey in that pro am last August . He made many good plays . 3:10 ; 4:40 6:10 (dunk) 6:50 (coast to coast 3pt buzzer beater-3rd period)and 10:15 (ties game with 26 seconds left).. just to name a few..He’s # 43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udjU0vvjIgw

zag buddy
07-15-2017, 06:44 PM
I use the old kennel. Go down the steps one flight then in.

thespywhozaggedme
07-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Thanks in advance

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Cool. So Northside entrance on the actual Kennel?

Sometimes the door will be propped open at the student entrance of the Kennel. Last night I went in the north entrance of the Martin center and walked down to the main floor to get to the Kennel through the tunnels.

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Is Larsen on campus?

Larsen was not at the scrimmage on Friday but it seems like he has been around this summer. He was definitely at a scrimmage a few weeks ago but didn't play. Zags official twitter account put up a video of him this week.

HenneZag
07-15-2017, 10:27 PM
I will post more tomorrow, it's bed time now. I caught most of the scrimmage so I will give my 2 cents in the a.m.

Kispert is built like a college senior, confident can do a bit of everything, strong drives, a cpl of nice dunks, a few 3s etc.
Wade is quiet out there , but a pesky defender, had some very impressive 3s in tough spots, and in transition.
Norvell was a lil off tonight but had some nice drives, dishes and some 3s.

Gary Bell, Dickau, JW3, Mclellan, Wade
Vs
Kispert, Melson, Norvell, Beach, Jeremy Jones

Perkins and Rui in attendance DNP.

Melson looks confident, went against Mclellan and they battled, Melson more than held his own being aggressive on the drive, step backs, 3s etc, he's ready to make a jump. I forgot how beautiful GBJ jump shot was I lost count of how many 3s he hit.

JW3 was solid, fluid will be big for us next year.

Like I said I will post more tomorrow. The one thing I did like is the young guys did not back down, especially on the defensive end.

Zagceo
07-15-2017, 11:48 PM
Gary Bell, Dickau, JW3, Mclellan, Wade
Vs
Kispert, Melson, Norvell, Beach, Jeremy Jones

Perkins and Rui in attendance DNP.

Dickau coached in Vegas today and flew back to Spokane and scrimmaged tonight? AFGM play again Sunday.

HenneZag
07-16-2017, 05:08 AM
Dickau coached in Vegas today and flew back to Spokane and scrimmaged tonight? AFGM play again Sunday.

Dickau was there, if that's the case that's impressive!

Coach Crazy
07-16-2017, 05:41 AM
We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't like the idea of Williams or Tillie being forced to play major minutes under the basket. I loved the idea of basically platooning the bigs as was done last season (i.e., Collins and Tillie team subbing with PK and Williams). I don't look forward to facing the likes of Landale without depth at the 5. Others are, of course, free to disagree and that's fine, lets just see how it plays out the upcoming season.

I would also like to see another big...or two, trust me. I get that depth can become an issue because of injuries.

Here are a few things: I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. If the staff was that worried about depth at the 5, I don't think they would have let Ryan transfer (or they thought he was that much of a non-factor).

The offense will run a little different, this year. You might see more motion. I would recommend being excited about the wing position, this year. P.S. all 3 are very good passers. You'll still see big involvement, it just won't be as much deep post entry. But Rui, Zack, and Corey are gonna make people look foolish this year.

Will it be as efficient? No. But they'll also have more transition opportunities, better free throw shooting on the floor, a barrage of 3's, and more dribble-drive penetration.

What you will still see is the PNR and PNP game (pick n roll, pick n pop). In fact, I'll bet that our storm trooper of a freshman in Larsen puts someone in a neck brace with the way he attacks the rim on one of those.

Seeing as how I like people trusting their own analytical ability, I'll amend one of my statements. If you see a legitimate reason to worry about the big's, make some room for the excitement we should have for the sudden embarrassment of riches at the wing.

Imagine those three in Paul Westhead-type transition game. The Kennel would come off its foundation after a finish on one of those.

Rangerzag
07-16-2017, 06:10 AM

If Dan coached in Vegas yesterday he was not in the picture when the camera showed the bench. He was mentioned by the commentators as being there at half for a pep talk, but when the camera showed the bench numerous times after that DD never could be seen. There were only three people evident on the bench. It was not hard to take inventory.

bartruff1
07-16-2017, 06:21 AM
I am not worried about the offense at all .....it is the defense that concerns me ....and it is defense that that travels far...they lost a lot of defense....

HenneZag
07-16-2017, 07:01 AM
I will try and give a good report on the scrimmage, I wasn't really keeping track of the score or anything like that, I was more looking at the individual, especially the new guys. It's more of a freestyle type game so its hard to get a full gauge, some players were just chucking up shots any chance they got.

I am really excited about Kispert, like some have mentioned already, he's built like a tight end. He just seems smart, doesn't force the game takes what the defense gives him, he was driving to the basket, taking open mid range as well as the 3 ball and connected on most. He's not afraid to mix it up on defense, several times frustrating JW3. He had some nice follow-up put backs 2-3, a fast break dunk, just a good feel for the game. He will be able to play 3-4 and will be a matchup problem for opposing teams.

Jesse Wade- Like I mentioned last night, not vocal just went about his business. It was hard to really get an overall feel, several players brought the ball up the floor and GBJ was taking most of the shots. Wade did get into a flow mid way through the scrimmages and hit some big shots, he seems to shoot better while in motion than when he's set if that makes sense. Some mentioned his defense skills as being an issue, with that said he was pesky and really frustrated Norvell last night. He has quick hands and is good at attacking angles. As far as the Pangos comparison I don't know if I see it yet, both great shooters, Pangos is better when set, Wade can get it up quickly. Pangos imo early on was a better distributor and changed speeds a lil better.

Norvell- His shot was off last night, although he did other things very well, attacked the basket, had some nice passes in transition and hit some nice mid range shots. He and Bell went toe-toe which was fun to watch, GBJ didn't make it easy for Zach.

Jeremy Jones- He shot the ball very well. When he was open and had time he pretty much sank every 3 he shot, granted he wasn't being pestered a whole lot. He also attacked the basket quite nicely. He will get some more minutes this year and will be a nice option in certain match-ups but I still see some younger guys getting the nod.

JW3- he had some nice moves near the basket last night, spin moves, up and unders. He was solid not much more to say he will be a huge key to our success next season.

Melson- He was in attack mode, and wanted the ball, wanted to take the shot. He and Mclellan went toe-toe, Melson to me was most impressive last night hands down, he did a little bit of everything, hit several 3's, step backs, mid range and attacked the basket. EM is an elite defender so I came away impressed.

I was really hoping to see Larsen, but he was not in attendance. I'm not sure what style of game he will bring to the table. As of right now we will have a bunch of guys that can get up the floor in transition and really be able to shoot the ball at every position. We will probably see a different style of play so i'm excited to see what we will come up with. Hoping the staff can snag a player or 2 just for depth at the 4-5 spots.

That's all I got for now, I'm sure some may see it differently, had a good time watching last night.

tyra
07-16-2017, 07:12 AM
The idea that either Rui or Cory can provide some limited help at the 4 calms my "Big" jitters down quite a bit. But we are still thin should either JWIII or Larsen suffer an injury or get in very early foul trouble in any given game.

cjm720
07-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the reports. Love the depth and youth on our squad, but I keep coming back to: what guard can break down and get by the defender? It's not something we typically have and IMO is part of why NWG was able to get to the promise land. He also brought that alpha dog mentality. Who's going to step up and lead?

JPtheBeasta
07-16-2017, 08:36 AM
I am not worried about the offense at all .....it is the defense that concerns me ....and it is defense that that travels far...they lost a lot of defense....

+1,000. Unless Rui and Kispert can defend people like Landale, depth on defense could be the Achilles heel.

thespywhozaggedme
07-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks so much for the reports! Wonder why Rui didn't play.

cggonzaga
07-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reports. Love the depth and youth on our squad, but I keep coming back to: what guard can break down and get by the defender? It's not something we typically have and IMO is part of why NWG was able to get to the promise land. He also brought that alpha dog mentality. Who's going to step up and lead?

Interesting. That's one area I'm not worried about. We don't have anybody that can attack the basket like NWG but Perkins, Wade, Melson, Norvell, Kispert and Rui can all get to the hoop. There aren't many as good as attacking the basket as NWG was in college ball. We were pretty lucky to have him.

Zags_Fanatic
07-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Henne! That all sounds really consistent with Friday night, hopefully Perkins will get better soon. Glad to see you had the same impressions of Kispert that I had. He was so well built for a Freshman and so damn good on the court that I thought maybe I was exaggerating it a bit in my mind but now my expectations are sky high for him, especially a year or two down the road.

ZagNative
07-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks to all who posted! Such fun to read!

maynard g krebs
07-16-2017, 10:43 AM
+1,000. Unless Rui and Kispert can defend people like Landale, depth on defense could be the Achilles heel.

They'd be guarding the 4. Larsen, Tillie, or JW3 would guard Landale.

But Oregon used Dillon Brooks to guard both Frank Kaminsky and Jacob Poeltl, both 7' first rounders, with great success. I actually think Kispert has similar ability with his strength.

maynard g krebs
07-16-2017, 10:58 AM
It's not something we typically have and IMO is part of why NWG was able to get to the promise land. He also brought that alpha dog mentality. Who's going to step up and lead?

NWG shot 35% in the NCAA tourney overall; 26% in the WVA and UNC games.

Zags_Fanatic
07-16-2017, 11:39 AM

NWG's leadership will be sorely missed and he had the deadliest floater I've seen from a Zag, but I think we have three players right now that can slash to the basket as well or better than he did. Hopefully they can learn to get it on the basket from 5 feet out like he did because that was certainly a valuable skill to have in traffic.

zag buddy
07-16-2017, 03:29 PM
I did go last night, got there at 10;10 and they quit at 10:30 so I didn't see much. I believe the time change was due to the youngsters having a catered barbecue before ending their session at noon today. I do agree with the excellent reporting of Hennezag. The only other news I might add is that Perkins had his shoulder wrapped with large quantities of saran wrap and dnp. I will try and go again at the next session.

jchocolate99
07-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks so much for the reports! Wonder why Rui didn't play.

If I had to guess I bet their doing the same thing they did with Sabonis after he played with his national team and telling him to get some rest

JPtheBeasta
07-16-2017, 07:27 PM
They'd be guarding the 4. Larsen, Tillie, or JW3 would guard Landale.

But Oregon used Dillon Brooks to guard both Frank Kaminsky and Jacob Poeltl, both 7' first rounders, with great success. I actually think Kispert has similar ability with his strength.

I appreciate the optimism.

thespywhozaggedme
07-16-2017, 07:32 PM
If I had to guess I bet their doing the same thing they did with Sabonis after he played with his national team and telling him to get some rest

Ah, ok. Thank you

Zagricultural
07-16-2017, 08:48 PM
I did go last night, got there at 10;10 and they quit at 10:30 so I didn't see much. I believe the time change was due to the youngsters having a catered barbecue before ending their session at noon today. I do agree with the excellent reporting of Hennezag. The only other news I might add is that Perkins had his shoulder wrapped with large quantities of saran wrap and dnp. I will try and go again at the next session.

Man I hope it's nothing serious

amaronizag
07-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Showed up tonight but no scrimmage. Ask Texas Zag Fan for a report tomorrow night. He'll be there.

TexasZagFan
07-21-2017, 07:10 AM
Showed up tonight but no scrimmage. Ask Texas Zag Fan for a report tomorrow night. He'll be there.

Big D got a great picture with Josh. All I have to do is figure out how to upload it from my smartphone.

The campus is nearly unrecognizable from 15 years ago, but the effect remains the same: Big D and his uncle have "decided " they're following in my footsteps by attending GU.

willandi
07-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Big D got a great picture with Josh. All I have to do is figure out how to upload it from my smartphone.

The campus is nearly unrecognizable from 15 years ago, but the effect remains the same: Big D and his uncle have "decided " they're following in my footsteps by attending GU.

That's great! Hope they get to play for the Zags too!

TexasZagFan
07-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Just returned from the MAC. Tonight's scrimmage was a 3 on 3, featuring Rui, J3, Jeremy Jones, and 3 players whom I don't know yet. Sorry, but 2 of the 3 may have been Kispert and Norvell. It was a bit ragged, but fun to watch.

Afterwards, Rui and Kispert (?) put on a slam dunk show that was spectacular.

Was unable to get pictures, cleared out quickly. However, Eric McClellan was there for a workout. He was kind enough to pose for a few photos .

On the way out, I noticed the tribute to Fr. Tony. A perfect ending to another great day in Zagland.

Zags_Fanatic
07-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Just returned from the MAC. Tonight's scrimmage was a 3 on 3, featuring Rui, J3, Jeremy Jones, and 3 players whom I don't know yet. Sorry, but 2 of the 3 may have been Kispert and Norvell. It was a bit ragged, but fun to watch.

Afterwards, Rui and Kispert (?) put on a slam dunk show that was spectacular.

Was unable to get pictures, cleared out quickly. However, Eric McClellan was there for a workout. He was kind enough to pose for a few photos .

On the way out, I noticed the tribute to Fr. Tony. A perfect ending to another great day in Zagland.

Thanks for the report! That Rui/Kispert show must have been incredible. Nice to hear the Rui is out there playing.

ZagnetitForce
07-21-2017, 10:49 PM
I thought that was Wade playing and went against Rui in the slam show? Norvel was also playing and I think the 6th might have been a walk on or manager or something. Also present but not playing were Perkins and Melson (who has a short cut now.....looks totally different). I guess Melson has a hurt ankle. Rui was by far the standout for the 3 on 3.

HenneZag
07-22-2017, 06:21 AM
How many more days of camp? I will try and go tonight

thespywhozaggedme
07-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Thanks as always guys

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 06:49 AM
How many more days of camp? I will try and go tonight

This camp ends tomorrow at noon.

Wouldn't surprise me if my son talks his friends into coming back for a team camp next year. Spending a few days up here has been a great experience for him.

DixieZag
07-22-2017, 09:26 AM
This camp ends tomorrow at noon.

Wouldn't surprise me if my son talks his friends into coming back for a team camp next year. Spending a few days up here has been a great experience for him.

Congrats on your son's plans to attend GU. Proud moment, exciting time.

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Congrats on your son's plans to attend GU. Proud moment, exciting time.

Thanks Dixie. And "Big D" will be the first commit of the recruiting class of 2029. :lmao:, but he is completely on the Zag Train.

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 09:59 PM
No scrimmage tonight, a highlight video from last year was shown. It kicked a$$!

Big D, Class of 2029, scored his first basket as a Zag, with a huge assist from Corey Kispert...lol. Had a chance to meet Jesse Wade's family, to include his fiancé. They'll be married next month.

Corey was hitting nothing but net at 40 feet, even swished one from 3/4 court. When we left at 10:30, Corey was working on his dribbling.

Zach Norvell was friendly and approachable, and Josh was Josh. We are indeed blessed to be represented by these young men.

NotoriousZ
07-22-2017, 11:04 PM
I went down there with my 10 and 9 year old boys hoping to see a scrimmage, and white that didn't happen we did see that awesome highlight video and met Jesse Wade and Corey Kispert after most of the crowd left. Jesse was so kind to us! After we watched him, Corey and another kid who might have been Jesse's younger brother play a little half court shoot around game, Jesse talked with us for a little bit and asked if my kids wanted to shoot some hoops. How freaking cool is that?!? So my kids are playing lightning with Jesse Wade and then Corey comes in for some two on two. In hindsight I wish I'd taken a video but I was too excited to think of it. What a great experience though.

Just_An_Old_Zag
07-22-2017, 11:28 PM
NortoriousZ how great for you and your sons. I wish they still offered the Parent Child Basketball camps. Have some fantastic memories and photos of the camps my son and I attended.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2017, 03:27 AM
Tex, Notorious, et al, you dads and grandads and brothers are living the dream. Memories forever. You're at ground zero for building shining moments to come. Drink deeply, my friends.

TexasZagFan
07-23-2017, 05:29 AM
I went down there with my 10 and 9 year old boys hoping to see a scrimmage, and white that didn't happen we did see that awesome highlight video and met Jesse Wade and Corey Kispert after most of the crowd left. Jesse was so kind to us! After we watched him, Corey and another kid who might have been Jesse's younger brother play a little half court shoot around game, Jesse talked with us for a little bit and asked if my kids wanted to shoot some hoops. How freaking cool is that?!? So my kids are playing lightning with Jesse Wade and then Corey comes in for some two on two. In hindsight I wish I'd taken a video but I was too excited to think of it. What a great experience though.

Notorious, I feel your pain. That 6 YO boy you saw struggling to get the ball above the rim was my grandson. He wasn't successful until Corey hoisted him up. I was so nervous in Nashville that I completely itched recording his "dunks" during halftime. Fortunately, my son captured the show.

Trust me, your memories of last night will remain etched in your brain forever, video or no video. Those autographed shirts will always evoke fond memories.

TexasZagFan
07-23-2017, 05:46 AM
Tex, Notorious, et al, you dads and grandads and brothers are living the dream. Memories forever. You're at ground zero for building shining moments to come. Drink deeply, my friends.

My wife has drunk deeply from the well, jazz...lol. We're making one more trip to the Zag store this morning, at her request, to get a ball for autographs when camp closes at noon. i suspect we'll be buying another cap for Big D, as the one we bought yesterday is now adorned with 5-6 autographs... lol.

Can't wait to hear my son talk about camp.

slickguser
07-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Tex, Notorious,
I don't often have much to share on this forum, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciate your posts in this thread. Not only does it show the family orientation for Gonzaga from a fans perspective, I also enjoy reading about how great the players are outside of games. Gonzaga and its fans, coaches, and players really are something special. As fans, we are very lucky.

NotoriousZ
07-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Tex, I did see your grandson hoop it up with Corey...the players were so good to the children. I would have came over and introduced myself but it seemed like you all were family I wasn't sure if we weren't intruding enough as it was. And you're right Jazz, that night will never be forgotten.

TexasZagFan
07-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Tex, I did see your grandson hoop it up with Corey...the players were so good to the children. I would have came over and introduced myself but it seemed like you all were family I wasn't sure if we weren't intruding enough as it was. And you're right Jazz, that night will never be forgotten.

Hopefully we'll see each other later today. I'll be wearing my D/FW alumni chapter shirt. The bulldog is surrounded by Texas. On this trip, I met several who post here for the first time in person...it's been a gas!

NotoriousZ
07-23-2017, 08:30 AM
My kids aren't in the camp, we just came down to see a scrimmage and got lucky. Don't think we can make it today but I'm looking forward to your next report. Have fun and keep up the good "work."

MDABE80
07-23-2017, 10:34 AM
My wife has drunk deeply from the well, jazz...lol. We're making one more trip to the Zag store this morning, at her request, to get a ball for autographs when camp closes at noon. i suspect we'll be buying another cap for Big D, as the one we bought yesterday is now adorned with 5-6 autographs... lol.

Can't wait to hear my son talk about camp.

Good trip Tex. These events are priceless. Always think or wonder how many can get these permanent good memories in our lives. Well, for some reason WE do but out there in the rest of the country, I wonder how many people really can understand the "family" concept of this great team and university. It's amazing at GU if you think about it. Few/Tommy pick these great kids.....or they make them great people by the time they leave. And the alumni return with their own kids/grandkids to give them a long drink of the culture we have.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Good trip Tex. These events are priceless. Always think or wonder how many can get these permanent good memories in our lives. Well, for some reason WE do but out there in the rest of the country, I wonder how many people really can understand the "family" concept of this great team and university. It's amazing at GU if you think about it. Few/Tommy pick these great kids.....or they make them great people by the time they leave. And the alumni return with their own kids/grandkids to give them a long drink of the culture we have.

Renewal. Per Vatican II, accommodata renovatio. A return to the sources.

JPtheBeasta
07-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Good stuff Tex and Notorius. Cockles warmed. This camp sounds like such a great experience.

I'll be looking forward to Kispert draining shots from 40', and maybe another guy doing it in 2029 :)

NotoriousZ
07-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Good stuff Tex and Notorius. Cockles warmed. This camp sounds like such a great experience.

I'll be looking forward to Kispert draining shots from 40', and maybe another guy doing it in 2029 :)
In the little bit of action I saw, Wade was draining the threes, including a half court shot on his first try and a running out of bounds catch-and-shoot corner three--all net.

webspinnre
07-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Love these stories.

bartruff1
11-21-2017, 12:53 PM
It is good to look back once in awhile and see how accurate the scrimmage opinions were....assuming you are able to laugh at yourself...

kitzbuel
11-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Tex's opinions are by far the most accurate, but then he did talk mainly about his grandson.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MDABE80
11-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Tex has a beautiful family. He and his wife mange it perfectly. We spent some time last Summer. I wish it had been longer. Lotsa love in his troop.