PDA

View Full Version : Kamaka Hepa

doctorzag
06-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Visited Washington today, Will be at Texas tomorrow.

DixieZag
06-17-2017, 10:08 AM
I was so sure he'd be a Zag.

Don't know current status but doesn't seem to be happening, does it, anyone?

Zag_Dad
06-17-2017, 10:34 AM
I was so sure he'd be a Zag.

Don't know current status but doesn't seem to be happening, does it, anyone?

Why doubt that he'll be a Zag? Lots of kids visit other schools before choosing the one they know in their heart they will commit. I haven't seen anything to cause me to believe he is less interested in GU than he was a month ago. Maybe I missed something?

Zag_Dad
06-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Scout "Crystal Ball" still has him as a 50% GU commit with Oregon and "foggy" both sharing second place at 25%. FWIW, two out of three of the Oregon predictors have Hepa committing to Gonzaga:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Kamaka-Hepa-at-Jefferson-151226/CurrentExpertPredictions

willandi
06-17-2017, 01:04 PM
If I got an expenses paid trip to visit campuses, I would certainly go. I wouldn't have visited UW as an official, he can go there anytime. Maybe Florida or Miami, Connecticut...see the USA on somebody else's dime!

doctorzag
06-17-2017, 01:58 PM
If I got an expenses paid trip to visit campuses, I would certainly go. I wouldn't have visited UW as an official, he can go there anytime. Maybe Florida or Miami, Connecticut...see the USA on somebody else's dime!

Washington was an unofficial.

scrooner
06-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Lots of things to see and do at Louisville, so I hear.

sittingon50
06-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Lots of things to see and do at Louisville, so I hear.

Right now the leader in the clubhouse is "duck & cover."

DixieZag
06-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Scout "Crystal Ball" still has him as a 50% GU commit with Oregon and "foggy" both sharing second place at 25%. FWIW, two out of three of the Oregon predictors have Hepa committing to Gonzaga:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Kamaka-Hepa-at-Jefferson-151226/CurrentExpertPredictions

I am glad to hear that. I had heard so little about him with regard to us, and that was why I asked the question. My "doubt" was based solely upon hearing so little.

And, in answer to another post, I certainly don't begrudge a kid taking all 5 visits. In fact, if it were me, or my son, even if I'd picked with absolute certainty, I'd still go on trips, both to hear what they have to say, but also just to see new places, meet new people, might never have that opportunity again.

I am heartened by the thread, though Sittting is someone I listen to.

sittingon50
06-18-2017, 03:24 PM
I know absolutely nothing on this one at this time Dix, other than I would love the Zags to snag him.

75Zag
06-19-2017, 04:46 PM
"Kamaka Hepa"

If he does not make it in college basketball, he has a great career ahead selling Ukuleles or vacuum cleaner filtration systems in Hawaii.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
08-13-2017, 06:31 AM
Gonzaga: “They have been talking to me for a long time, since I was a freshman. I have gone to their team camps since I was young and we have always had a good relationship with them there. Coach (Brian) Michaelson has done a great job of building a relationship with my family and they are definitely one of my top schools.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/four-in-front-for-hepa

bigblahla
08-13-2017, 06:52 AM
I know absolutely nothing

Sergeant Shultz - is that you? :roll:

Love ya "50" - couldn't help myself.

Go!! Zags!!!

Goshzagit
08-13-2017, 06:57 AM
We are his sentimental favorite.

Considering he grew up in Alaska and lives in rainy NW, seems to be gravitating towards warmer/sunny weather.

Have a feeling USC or Texas whom are both coming on strong as of late, esp in recruiting circles.

Hopeful but kinda trending downward.

We were the first to show interest -- most times this is a great position to be in, sometimes they want to meet others at the party who look cuter but not nearly the personality. Choosing the girl next door is usually best long term and happiness but hard to ignore the girls from outta town who seem so fun

Zagdawg
08-13-2017, 07:05 AM
On a positive note- Texas just had 2 forwards commit -- hopefully that will give Hepa second thoughts.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20306747/gerald-liddell-no-32-espn-100-2018-commits-texas-longhorns

raise the zag
08-13-2017, 07:26 AM
On a positive note- Texas just had 2 forwards commit -- hopefully that will give Hepa second thoughts.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20306747/gerald-liddell-no-32-espn-100-2018-commits-texas-longhorns

If he didn't notice, he should.

Both are Top-100 forwards. Same size, position, and class as Hepa.

One is 5* and higher ranked, other is 4* and ranked the same.

Playing time early on can matter these days. He is our #1 target with an opportunity to play right away and develop.

Coach Smart and Texas is an enticing option, yet wonder if this rules them out? Although his official visit is over Labor Day wkend.

Gotta be between USC & Gonzaga at this juncture, although we all heard his visit to LA went really well.

jazzdelmar
08-13-2017, 07:53 AM
10%.....says same thing about all the schools.....wind is shifting..

http://247sports.com/Player/Kamaka-Hepa-86002

http://www.scout.com/Player/Kamaka-Hepa-86002

Goshzagit
08-13-2017, 01:06 PM
10%.....says same thing about all the schools.....wind is shifting..

http://247sports.com/Player/Kamaka-Hepa-86002

http://www.scout.com/Player/Kamaka-Hepa-86002

Ya, sensing USC but ya never know...

He'd be a perfect 'Zag' type player too, really hope he chooses us. For selfish reasons but also for fit.

His blue collar skill set, attitude, & versatile post game would be a perfect fit in our system. Could be a star.

Coach Enfield coached Florida Gulf Coast to some glory years prior to USC, and is a run, gun, spread you out, and knife type of Coach. Transition opportunistic type offense. Definitely doesn't feature post players in his approach. A 6'9, moderately athletic kid, with rapid developing post moves, isn't his forte, if you will.

He's a very good recruiter tho

cggonzaga
08-13-2017, 01:11 PM
I'm still confident he'll be a Zag.

jazzdelmar
08-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Ya, sensing USC but ya never know...

He'd be a perfect 'Zag' type player too, really hope he chooses us. For selfish reasons but also for fit.

His blue collar skill set, attitude, & versatile post game would be a perfect fit in our system. Could be a star.

Coach Enfield coached Florida Gulf Coast to some glory years prior to USC, and is a run, gun, spread you out, and knife type of Coach. Transition opportunistic type offense. Definitely doesn't feature post players in his approach. A 6'9, moderately athletic kid, with rapid developing post moves, isn't his forte, if you will.

He's a very good recruiter tho

Andy's best recruit ever is still Mrs. E.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/07/17/andy-enfield-wife-amanda-enfield-at-the-espys/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/andy-enfield-supermodel-amanda-marcum-ncaa_n_2918013.html

HenneZag
08-13-2017, 06:19 PM
We already lost out on Taeshon Cherry to USC, if we lose Hepa I will blow a gasket.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
08-14-2017, 07:59 AM
We already lost out on Taeshon Cherry to USC, if we lose Hepa I will blow a gasket.

No kidding. People mentioned Texas just signing PFs that could be ahead of Hepa in the rotation. Same thing with Cherry at USC.

If Hepa chooses to split time at Texas or USC instead of being big man on campus in Spokane, it would signal a wind change of kids prioritizing factors above stability, winning and playing time. Which is hard for me and many others to understand.

EEzag
08-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Andy's best recruit ever is still Mrs. E.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/07/17/andy-enfield-wife-amanda-enfield-at-the-espys/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/andy-enfield-supermodel-amanda-marcum-ncaa_n_2918013.html

tru dat.

LongIslandZagFan
08-14-2017, 09:12 AM
UT and Ducks should be the bigger worry. Don't see him going to USC to be the 5th person at a position.

realtydog
08-14-2017, 09:50 AM

Zags didn't lose out on a kid that never even visited ---was not ever in the running I bet ----just a college name for misdirection -----dearly hope Hepa is not practicing the same protocol

cggonzaga
08-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Zags didn't lose out on a kid that never even visited ---was not ever in the running I bet ----just a college name for misdirection -----dearly hope Hepa is not practicing the same protocol

Cherry was very much on our radar.

VaBeachZAG
08-15-2017, 06:07 AM
Cherry was very much on our radar.

Agreed. But was GU very much on his radar?

LongIslandZagFan
08-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Agreed. But was GU very much on his radar?

That was Realty's point.

Just an honest question... if a kid really had no intention at all of coming to GU... did the Zags really lose out? Just seems that Zags were never really in the cards from day 1.

Bogozags
08-15-2017, 06:42 AM
That was Realty's point.

Just an honest question... if a kid really had no intention at all of coming to GU... did the Zags really lose out? Just seems that Zags were never really in the cards from day 1.

Exactly! If after a kid visits GU and choses to go elsewhere, then we lost them but if there wasn't a visit as LIZF stated, then there really wasn't any interest...

Alum08
08-15-2017, 06:43 AM
No kidding. People mentioned Texas just signing PFs that could be ahead of Hepa in the rotation. Same thing with Cherry at USC.

If Hepa chooses to split time at Texas or USC instead of being big man on campus in Spokane, it would signal a wind change of kids prioritizing factors above stability, winning and playing time. Which is hard for me and many others to understand.I wouldn't read that much into it. Some kids want warmer weather (especially coming from AK). Some want to move further away from home. Some may want to play in a major conference. Some just like the campus better. Austin is a fun city, Compton less so, but it's close to the beach. Heck maybe he's interested in tech or biotech, who knows.

MileHigh
08-15-2017, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't read that much into it. Some kids want warmer weather (especially coming from AK). Some want to move further away from home. Some may want to play in a major conference. Some just like the campus better. Austin is a fun city, Compton less so, but it's close to the beach. Heck maybe he's interested in tech or biotech, who knows.

USC is in South Central LA not Compton....about a 30 minute drive in LA traffic to go from Compton to SC....and to me, Socal/LA is much more fun than Austin, TX and I have spent considerable time in both

MDABE80
08-15-2017, 09:33 AM
SC's quite a ways from Compton. A private university situated right south of Downtown LA. Muchbetter these days with billions poured into that area. It's a very nice, well funded campus. Good school. I'm thinking Hepa would hit the brakes if he saw it as busy as it is. I don't know what Hepa's thinking but absent an encouraging blast from him, I'm hoping but am doubtful he find his way to Boone. If he's a one and done kid ( I kinda doubt he is right now), it shouldn't matter too much where he lands. GU, SC, Texas.......all good programs. I think he'd thrive with us................moreso than the other two.

Worthington
08-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Hepa would be a perfect fit for GU and I think GU would be a perfect fit for Hepa. I'm sure he will do well wherever he chooses to play, but Hepa to Gonzaga just makes too much sense to me.

jazzdelmar
08-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Fight on! USC is indeed a well funded place Doc.

University of Southern California

Ranked #25 on U.S. News & World Report’s list of the best American colleges, University of Southern California (USC) is known for its highly regarded schools of film, business, medicine, and engineering. Over the last quarter century, USC has benefited from a number of monetary and building gifts, including a $35 million dollar donation from alumnus Gordon S. Marshall (after whom the school of business was renamed), a record $110 million donation from the W.M. Keck Foundation, and a $50 million gift from the Price Family Charitable Fund. USC’s current endowment is $5.6 billion.

Endowment: $5.6 billion
Average Cost per Student: $27,544 per year
Average Salary of Full-Time Faculty: $115,780
Annual Research Budget: $345 million

MDABE80
08-15-2017, 01:39 PM
I know that. Huge budget and endowments. But just what does that mean to a HS kid like Hepa? I don't know but I'm thinking he's just kid who wants to play some high end ball. He may stray but it's pretty simple. "Get me a coach I like, a staff that schools me and let's go lace em up"

Zag_Dad
09-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Gonzaga is set to host Kamaka Hepa this weekend. Here's why @kamaka_hepa4 is such a priority for the Zags- scout.com/college/gonzag…

Fingers crossed

strikenowhere
09-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Gonzaga is set to host Kamaka Hepa this weekend. Here's why @kamaka_hepa4 is such a priority for the Zags- scout.com/college/gonzag…

Fingers crossed

Well that is much more promising. The crystal balls at 24/7 were all starting to point to Texas and it seemed like a lock that he would commit after visiting on the 1st of Sept. The chances seem to be much better now if they get him on campus.

JPtheBeasta
09-08-2017, 06:36 AM
If I was being recruited hard I would see a bunch of campuses but save the place I really wanted to go for last.

willandi
09-08-2017, 06:40 AM
If I was being recruited hard I would see a bunch of campuses but save the place I really wanted to go for last.

I totally agree! get to fly to different places, be watered and dined (not old enough to wine and dine except as some schools). See the country and THEN go where I wanted to all along.

strikenowhere
09-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Is it different in Hepa's case though? He's already been on a couple of unofficials to both Gonzaga and Texas. Is there a big jump in what a recruit sees on an official (never even sniffed these myself) vs. an unofficial visit?

Reborn
09-08-2017, 06:42 AM
I was at my grand daughter's volleyball match last night and was talking to a parent that I know who has a son who is now at Gonzaga on a golf scholarship. He told me his son received 4 or 5 offers from pac 12 schools but when he visited Gonzaga he fell in love with the school. He didn't care if Gonzaga was a smaller school in Spokane, Wa. He loved the family atmosphere and the unbelievable friendliness. Those of us who have visited the campus during the day when the students are outside know exactly what this kid felt. Gonzaga IS a special place and when a student athlete visits the campus GU has a good chance of getting that student athlete to sign. I believe there is a very good chance that Hepa will become a Zag. I think that his background helps him decide to be a Zag, and his parents are a huge part of his background.

MontanaCoyote
09-08-2017, 07:41 AM
I was at my grand daughter's volleyball match last night and was talking to a parent that I know who has a son who is now at Gonzaga on a golf scholarship. He told me his son received 4 or 5 offers from pac 12 schools but when he visited Gonzaga he fell in love with the school. He didn't care if Gonzaga was a smaller school in Spokane, Wa. He loved the family atmosphere and the unbelievable friendliness. Those of us who have visited the campus during the day when the students are outside know exactly what this kid felt. Gonzaga IS a special place and when a student athlete visits the campus GU has a good chance of getting that student athlete to sign. I believe there is a very good chance that Hepa will become a Zag. I think that his background helps him decide to be a Zag, and his parents are a huge part of his background.

Exactly! Small IS beautiful. Be part of something really special instead of a cog in a machine. Here's hoping!

Gonzdb8
09-08-2017, 08:04 AM
hope the smoke clears out before he arrives. still looking pretty grim out there.

willandi
09-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Is it different in Hepa's case though? He's already been on a couple of unofficials to both Gonzaga and Texas. Is there a big jump in what a recruit sees on an official (never even sniffed these myself) vs. an unofficial visit?

He DID get to go to a Texas football game, they lost, and he got to watch fans throw stuff onto the field. It would have to make him wonder about them throwing onto the B'Ball floor.

Zags fans are nice!

TexasZagFan
09-08-2017, 08:36 AM
He DID get to go to a Texas football game, they lost, and he got to watch fans throw stuff onto the field. It would have to make him wonder about them throwing onto the B'Ball floor.

Zags fans are nice!

Someone needs to tell Kameka that basketball is an afterthought after football, no matter how bad the record.

Zagdawg
09-08-2017, 08:53 AM
This weekend, he'll make the trip to Gonzaga. He's already been to Spokane multiple times but this visit with Mark Few's bunch will be a little different.

“Basically I will get in Friday morning and they are gonna pick me up and we’ll eat and stuff," said Hepa. "We’ll play in an open gym and we are definitely gonna be touring the campus a bit even though I’ve been up there a lot. They aren’t going to stress too much about touring and it’s going to be more about meeting with academic advisors and different people on the staff that I would be dealing with on a daily basis if I went there.”

"While Hepa had some questions about fit with Texas, it is Gonzaga's track record with players like him combined with a very competitive program that has caught his eye."

“For me it’s their track record of guys that they have had at my position," said Hepa. "I think that right there is something that really stands out to me because they can really develop that position. If you look back at them those skilled stretch four guys have been really important and they’ve been able to help them beyond college. They have a blueprint and it's been very successful for them."

“(Texas and Gonzaga) are kind of like the two schools that I’m really looking at as well as the other schools I’ve mentioned," said Hepa. "I don’t know if I will be quite ready to have a decision after this weekend and I’ll have to talk to my parents. It may be a little while before I make a decision.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/top-50-kamaka-hepa-recaps-texas-preps-for-gonzaga

maynard g krebs
09-08-2017, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't read too much into the order of visits, as the football schools like to bring in kids for home games.

But I think the same as I thought about Wiltjer when he signed with Ky. Shaka Smart's version of helter skelter ratball can be successful, but it seems like a terrible fit for Hepa, as the dribble drive offense was for Wiltjer.

jazzdelmar
09-08-2017, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't read too much into the order of visits, as the football schools like to bring in kids for home games.

But I think the same as I thought about Wiltjer when he signed with Ky. Shaka Smart's version of helter skelter ratball can be successful, but it seems like a terrible fit for Hepa, as the dribble drive offense was for Wiltjer.

That's the best point yet. However it assumes a high level of maturity in a still young fella.

JPtheBeasta
09-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't read too much into my recruiting preferences, either. I would try to work in a football game at the Horseshoe, and maybe Notre Dame to see touchdown Jesus while I was at it, though. I would still try to see my favorite school last, regardless of football affiliation.

Reborn
09-08-2017, 10:59 AM
I finally got around to watching a video of Hepa. My oh My!!! I had a hard time NOT seeing him being a guard. The video mostly showed his outside shoting and dribble drives to the basket, shooting inside with both hands. If he signs with Gonzaga that will give the Zags a very powerful post presence: Larsen, Rui, Tillie, Clarke and Hepa. We know that we felt blessed when we had 4 post players and now add Hepa and OMG, how are we going to feel?

I love the things Hepa has said to reporters about Gonzaga. I truly believe our chances of signing him are high. He's going to fall in love with Gonzaga, if he already hasn't. He reminds me more of a 3 than a four which is pretty cool. I know he will definitely play a lot on the outside, I think more than as a post player. He resembles Rui to me. 6'8" four who can play outside and dribble drive to the basket. I really liked the one dribble drive to the hoop, and when he got inside he made a great reverse dribble move inside and put up a left handed lay up. Pretty good dribbling for a 6'8" player. He looks good defensively too. I'm really hoping, and believing stronly that we're going to get him.

maynard g krebs
09-08-2017, 11:56 AM
That's the best point yet. However it assumes a high level of maturity in a still young fella.

Not assuming anything. Hoping he sees it the same way, but Austin has a lot of attractions. I don't have the level of hope I had w/ Clarke here, but far from hopeless either. 50/50, optimistically, but maybe closer to 1 in 3 would be my guess range.

Reborn
09-08-2017, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure why I'm feeling so positive about Hepa signing with GU. Call it intuitive.

Go Zags!!!

Malastein
09-08-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure why I'm feeling so positive about Hepa signing with GU. Call it intuitive.

Go Zags!!!

Because he likes how competitive the program has been and will continue to be. Guys can now see themselves winning a national championship now that these past Zags have gotten them within inches. This coaching staff has done a phenomenal job building up this program steadily. If not Hepa, I'm sure they'll get someone as promising.

thespywhozaggedme
09-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Sign Hepa and Sotto and the Philippines can be our new Canada.

Reborn
09-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Because he likes how competitive the program has been and will continue to be. Guys can now see themselves winning a national championship now that these past Zags have gotten them within inches. This coaching staff has done a phenomenal job building up this program steadily. If not Hepa, I'm sure they'll get someone as promising.

Nice post, Mal

btzag
09-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Someone needs to tell Kameka that basketball is an afterthought after football, no matter how bad the record.

This is why no true football power is also a basketball power or vice versa! I mean think of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, UConn or Arizona football teams...

Zagceo
09-08-2017, 05:42 PM
This is why no true football power is also a basketball power or vice versa! I mean think of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, UConn or Arizona football teams...

Florida has 3 football Nat champs and 2 basketball.....not bad

willandi
09-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Florida has 3 football Nat champs and 2 basketball.....not bad

The UCLA Bruins Men's basketball with 11. Although UCLA is often considered a football powerhouse, it only holds one national title in football, earned in 1954.

EEzag
09-08-2017, 08:10 PM

especially in Texas.

Smart is an able recruiter though.

JPtheBeasta
09-09-2017, 07:06 AM
Sign Hepa and Sotto and the Philippines can be our new Canada.

It would be fun to see Manny Pacquiao at a game or two.

JPtheBeasta
09-09-2017, 07:15 AM
There are some subtle (maybe not-so-subtle) things in that article that point to GU being a better fit, and Hepa being well aware of it. Consider these comments regarding Texas vs. Gonzaga style of play.

Texas:

Smart and assistant Darrin Horn left a big impression on Hepa. Especially when it came to giving him a vision about how a stretch four like him would fit in.

“Just talking to coach Smart and coach Horn about basketball they really cleared up concerns for me and how I feel about if my game would fit there," said Hepa. "They have a style of play and he really cleared those up for me and my family. I really feel like they could help me get better.

“They showed me facts about how they’ve changed the way they play and some of their basketball concepts.”

Gonzaga:

While Hepa had some questions about fit with Texas, it is Gonzaga's track record with players like him combined with a very competitive program that has caught his eye.

“For me it’s their track record of guys that they have had at my position," said Hepa. "I think that right there is something that really stands out to me because they can really develop that position. If you look back at them those skilled stretch four guys have been really important and they’ve been able to help them beyond college. They have a blueprint and it's been very successful for them."

It is notable that Hepa planned on on meeting academic advisors and playing pickup ball during his GU visit, while Smart went about showing off the school and assuring him that they have changed their system and the fit is good. If-- and I'm not sure how big that "if" is-- it is between Texas and GU, and it is purely a basketball decision, it seems to me that Hepa is leaning toward Gonzaga.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/top-50-kamaka-hepa-recaps-texas-preps-for-gonzaga

HenneZag
09-09-2017, 07:59 AM
We should change this to a football thread��. Hope Hepas visit is starting off well.

MDABE80
09-09-2017, 09:57 AM

This might be the best reason Hepa might chose us over TX. Smart's loaded up the small and power forward spots with superior, higher ranked players. Hepa would get lots more playing time in Spokane. Smart's really picked up recruiting in Austin. Posted earlier in this thread. Becoming clearer as the month goes on.

Zag_Dad
09-09-2017, 04:43 PM
100% agree!!

NOTHING at Gonzaga has anything to do with FB.

Take it someplace else and quit annoying the electrons with this drivel....... (and several readers who come here for information that's pertinent)

:000tens:

CDC84
09-09-2017, 04:47 PM
There some "football" schools who invest money in basketball and who do care about, despite the fans obvious allegiance towards football. Florida is a good example of this. They have a great AD. So you get the fantastic hiring of Mike White to replace Billy D., despite his inexperience or lack of "big name" status.

And then there are other "football" schools who don't care about basketball, and if their football team ever gets in trouble (like with the NCAA), they will throw everyone else under the bus, including basketball, to protect the football program.

That's really how this breaks down.

For quite a few years under Barnes, I would've put Texas in the first category. I agree with another poster in this thread.....Shaka needed more time. The state of Texas has an awful lot of great prep basketball talent. The strength and conditioning program at Texas is considered by many to be the best in the nation. They have a lot to sell.

btzag
09-09-2017, 05:45 PM
There some "football" schools who invest money in basketball and who do care about, despite the fans obvious allegiance towards football. Florida is a good example of this. They have a great AD. So you get the fantastic hiring of Mike White to replace Billy D., despite his inexperience or lack of "big name" status.

And then there are other "football" schools who don't care about basketball, and if their football team ever gets in trouble (like with the NCAA), they will throw everyone else under the bus, including basketball, to protect the football program.

That's really how this breaks down.

For quite a few years under Barnes, I would've put Texas in the first category. I agree with another poster in this thread.....Shaka needed more time. The state of Texas has an awful lot of great prep basketball talent. The strength and conditioning program at Texas is considered by many to be the best in the nation. They have a lot to sell.

Well my original point about football was that while Texas has a good basketball program their university focus is still football #1 and basketball #2. At Gonzaga it's basketball 1, 2 and 3. I will always back my Zags though despite the many naysayers on this board and continue to assert that Gonzaga is the best place for Hepa to develop as a player and person.

amaronizag
09-10-2017, 02:45 PM
I think GU over TX is a no-brainer, but maybe all of the recent hurricane activity will help convince Kamaka that TX is not the best choice.

ZagDad84
09-10-2017, 09:21 PM
I think GU over TX is a no-brainer, but maybe all of the recent hurricane activity will help convince Kamaka that TX is not the best choice.

Austin is a long way from the coast. Not do likely to see much damage from hurricanes. Tornadoes, that is an entirely a separate issue.

ZagDad

Corky
09-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Austin is a long way from the coast. Not do likely to see much damage from hurricanes. Tornadoes, that is an entirely a separate issue.

ZagDad

Better BBQ in Austin even with Franklin burning last week.

Dunno how the tacos compare. ;)

strikenowhere
09-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Any update on his visit?

MDABE80
09-11-2017, 11:28 AM
I hear it went well. BUT he's in no rush to sign. Heavily dependent on his parental input. Might take a while with him. I agree with those who don't think TX is a good fit. Austin didn't get the great flood though. Time will tell.

Zagceo
09-11-2017, 02:16 PM
I heard NWG's mother, Val say......the work up GU coaches presented to them was first rate and no other school showed that kind of foresight ...... what are the chances GU does the same for frosh recruits?

soccerdud
09-11-2017, 04:48 PM
I heard NWG's mother, Val say......the work up GU coaches presented to them was first rate and no other school showed that kind of foresight ...... what are the chances GU does the same for frosh recruits?

i'd imagine they do, at least for the high-priority recruits.

Zagger
09-12-2017, 05:21 AM
I've got to think that a fair mix of schools have pretty good coaches and programs. To land talent a young athlete and their family are going to have to buy into a few other aspects and one of those is generally outside of what a program can control: geographic location, city/town size, distance from the family home, etc. I would guess that Hepa would feel quite at home in Spokane. But, some athletes are looking for a change of location/culture to spread their wings - see the world so-to-speak. There are tangibles outside of what GU can offer or control. GU's program is top notch. But, even though I love Spokane (born here, moved around, came back here) I know that no matter how good GU is some athletes are going to choose another school - and no fault to GU, none, nada, zip. I never feel GU has lost if they don't attract a particular recruit. It's just the way things go. However, I do feel GU has won with every player GU has landed. Just look at how GU has grown and developed. It's downright spectacular. So, kudos to all those athletes who have come to GU. They've all helped develop what we have and what we have is pretty darn golden :) ..... and even getting better!

MontanaCoyote
09-12-2017, 08:27 AM
I've got to think that a fair mix of schools have pretty good coaches and programs. To land talent a young athlete and their family are going to have to buy into a few other aspects and one of those is generally outside of what a program can control: geographic location, city/town size, distance from the family home, etc. I would guess that Hepa would feel quite at home in Spokane. But, some athletes are looking for a change of location/culture to spread their wings - see the world so-to-speak. There are tangibles outside of what GU can offer or control. GU's program is top notch. But, even though I love Spokane (born here, moved around, came back here) I know that no matter how good GU is some athletes are going to choose another school - and no fault to GU, none, nada, zip. I never feel GU has lost if they don't attract a particular recruit. It's just the way things go. However, I do feel GU has won with every player GU has landed. Just look at how GU has grown and developed. It's downright spectacular. So, kudos to all those athletes who have come to GU. They've all helped develop what we have and what we have is pretty darn golden :) ..... and even getting better!

YES!

TexasZagFan
09-12-2017, 09:11 AM
A bit of a long shot, but I'd like to see Eric McClellan have a conversation with Kameka. He was in Spokane during our visit in July, to get his "head right" after a season overseas. As an alum, I could relate to that.

willandi
09-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I know that it has been said that Kameka is going to take his time to decide. I know that.

I keep coming to see if he has announced!

doctorzag
09-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Texas just signed a power forward not named Kameka Hepa today. This is good news for the Zags

basketballzag
09-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Texas would not be a school I would want to commit to right now as there is smoke right now about the FBI.

dhozagfan08
09-30-2017, 07:24 AM
On one hand I'm happy that this likely helps our chances with Hepa, but at the same time it blows me away that a kid with options would still sign with one of the programs dealing with the FBI right now. Makes me wonder what the heck these kids and their families are thinking.

A to Zags
09-30-2017, 07:45 AM
On one hand I'm happy that this likely helps our chances with Hepa, but at the same time it blows me away that a kid with options would still sign with one of the programs dealing with the FBI right now. Makes me wonder what the heck these kids and their families are thinking.

Possibly some are thinking, "Damn, a day late and a dollar short".

googs27
11-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Hepa signed with Texas last week according to Bleacher report. I had not seen this posted yet.

webspinnre
11-07-2017, 07:04 AM
It was in one of the recruiting threads.

willandi
11-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Hepa signed with Texas last week according to Bleacher report. I had not seen this posted yet.

It was in one of the recruiting threads.

Any word yet on when he will transfer to Gonzaga?

webspinnre
11-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Any word yet on when he will transfer to Gonzaga?

Check back in two years? ;)

JAGzag
01-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Curious. Anyone know how Hepa is doing? I haven’t seen him play but ESPN shows he’s just over 2 PPG? Lots of us were high on this kid and bummed when he went to UT.

willandi
01-15-2019, 03:34 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397080

Looks like he started slow and now getting DNP's

sittingon50
01-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Just so happened I was looking at that yesterday myself. A bunch of DNP's & avg. less time than Filip on a worse team. And as you can see, his %'s are awful.

Saxon_zag
01-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Just so happened I was looking at that yesterday myself. A bunch of DNP's & avg. less time than Filip on a worse team. And as you can see, his %'s are awful.

Bullet dodged. Enjoy "high major" life Kamaka lol

former1dog
01-17-2019, 08:31 AM
I hope he starts to play better this year and in the future. The other factor perhaps not considered by the posters in this thread is that Hepa is a Native American kid. Native American Reservations are full of outstanding athletic talent, especially on the basketball court. It would be awesome for some Native American young men to have some notable success at the highest levels of basketball to show others that it can be done. I know the Schimmel sisters have had a positive effect for Native women.

sittingon50
01-17-2019, 09:47 AM

After rereading my post I'm not sure if my intent was clear. I'm rooting for this kid; really hope his experience is a positive one.

zagdontzig
02-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Am I being too generous thinking Hepa may have been a starter at Gonzaga, by virtue of our ability to develop bigs?