PDA

View Full Version : Which Kids Are We Still Looking at for 2018?

Kiddwell
06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
To honor ZagNative's request (in another thread), let's begin anew. And, please, only news/discussion on 2018's recruits/prospects. Now, people who know stuff...

:]

kitzbuel
06-13-2017, 12:12 PM
To honor ZagNative's request (in another thread), let's begin anew. And, please, only news/discussion on 2018's recruits/prospects. Now, people who know stuff...

:]

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/gonzaga

doctorzag
06-13-2017, 12:32 PM
I want my Mac MClung thread back

Bogozags
06-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Is Hepa no longer a recruit whom we targeting? His name was not listed on the same list as Cherry...

ZagNative
06-13-2017, 05:08 PM
I slogged through that blathering mess about the 2018 kids and came up with this for a list of prospects it talked about:

2018 PF Kamaka Hepa
2018 SF Taeshon Cherry
2018 SF Tevian Jones
2018 SG Bryce Hamilton

2019 PG Andrew Nembhard
2019 SG Cassius Stanley

I've got to believe the staff is busy in Europe, because that's a pretty meager list.

More prospects here in Scout: http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/2018-basketball-prospects?minimumInterest=Low

thespywhozaggedme
06-13-2017, 05:23 PM
I slogged through that blathering mess about the 2018 kids and came up with this for a list of prospects it talked about:

2018 PF Kamaka Hepa
2018 SF Taeshon Cherry
2018 SF Tevian Jones
2018 SG Bryce Hamilton

2019 PG Andrew Nembhard
2019 SG Cassius Stanley

I've got to believe the staff is busy in Europe, because that's a pretty meager list.

More prospects here in Scout: http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/2018-basketball-prospects?minimumInterest=Low

I believe Nembhard is reclassifying to 2018

ZagNative
06-13-2017, 05:36 PM
I believe Nembhard is reclassifying to 2018I saw that he was considering reclassifying, but I don't think a decision has been made yet.

Has this article been posted yet? Nice job by Max Mandel at Inside the Kennel regarding Nembhard as a Zag prospect: http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1783637-gonzaga-s-message-to-andrew-nembhardt
There is actually some very strong familiarity with the Gonzaga program, as Claude has a relationship with the family of a Zag legend.

“I was telling him (Tommy Lloyd) that I know Kevin Pangos and his family and I come from a town nor far from where the Pangos family lives,” he said with a laugh. “So I know quite a bit about the school, and even though they aren’t in one of the power conferences, they are always playing against the big teams and they are tested.”

Based on his conversations with the coaching staff, as well as the Pangos family, there is an understanding about why Canadians have felt so comfortable in Spokane.

“The most important thing in recruiting, at least for our family, is the relationship between Andrew and the coaching staff,” explained Andrew’s father. “And what that really means is trust between our family and the coaches. When I was a young coach, I used to go to York and watch Bill Pangos just run practice. So when you know people, and can talk to people, like the Pangos family, it gives me comfort knowing what Coach Few and Coach Lloyd are about, because in the end, you are sending your child away and trusting the coaches with him.”

The next big step for the Nembhard family is figuring out which class Andrew will be in, as he has the potential to reclassify to the 2018 class.

“We are probably going to decide by the end of July. Since he missed some school, we have to sit down and make sure everything is right with the school work and that he is feeling right physically. After that, we can decide what’s best.”

zagsfanforlife
06-13-2017, 05:42 PM
umm... what about 2017?? We still have 3-4 scholarships open.. are we getting anyone or just playing with a roster of about 10 this year?

ZagNative
06-13-2017, 06:39 PM
umm... what about 2017?? We still have 3-4 scholarships open.. are we getting anyone or just playing with a roster of about 10 this year?The kids I listed above were all mentioned in the thread about 2018 kids. For 2017 prospects, see this thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?60453-2017-Recruits&p=1315296#post1315296), though I doubt you'll find much worth pursuing there.

I've got to think the staff is looking at some Euros or grad transfers ... Maddening to have no clue ...

SLOZag
06-13-2017, 08:19 PM
I slogged through that blathering mess about the 2018 kids and came up with this for a list of prospects it talked about: ... [/url]

Thanks for investing the time and effort to dig through the stall to pull out the diamonds. Your participation on this Board is greatly appreciated ... by me and, I'm certain, by many others.

MDABE80
06-13-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm thinking , at this date, we are now who we will be in 2017-18. This happened a few years back. We aited and waited. Nothing new. For many reasons, we'll be a good team in this upcoming year. Maybe GoZags does or maybe Bob does. Nothing on the horizon.
Sure we could use another big to play right away.
Given that we have lots of good 1 and 2 guards, I'm thinking we'll be ok. 3 spot? Kispert, Norvelle and some of the 2 guys sliding over.
3 bigs with Larsen included. I hope Rui's maturing quickly to be a stretch 3 or a 4.

Otherwise, this is it. Ability is not where it was last year but we're not way down the spectrum either. Few, Tommy et al have always put a TEAM together. I think we're a sweet 16 if everything works out for us. Nothing new as afar as exciting new players. I'm thinking Jesse Wade, Corey Kispert, Zack Norvelle and Joel Ayayi will have to make a quick jump for us to go past the 16. In June though nobody knows for sure.
OOC schedule is a demanding one.

ZagNative
06-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Wow, SLOZag. How kind you are.

thebigsmoove
06-14-2017, 05:01 AM
Anton Watson has been offered for 2019 as well.

and id consider him to be about the closest thing to a lock that we have on our list at this time.

EEzag
06-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Anton Watson has been offered for 2019 as well.

and id consider him to be about the closest thing to a lock that we have on our list at this time.

Bout time the GSL had something for GU to take advantage of. Our back yard has been in need of fertilizing. Watson will be a great sign if he indeed picks GU.

thebigsmoove
06-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Bout time the GSL had something for GU to take advantage of. Our back yard has been in need of fertilizing. Watson will be a great sign if he indeed picks GU.

I noticed that for 2018 scout has Naje Smith (6-6 180) from Lewis and Clark on our list, any scouting report on him? is he even high major talent? Scout shows his list as Boise St, Oregon St, Washington, and Gonzaga.

Looks like hes pretty good based on videos on the Washington Supreme AAU twitter feed, idk. Seems high major to me.

cggonzaga
06-14-2017, 10:51 AM
I noticed that for 2018 scout has Naje Smith (6-6 180) from Lewis and Clark on our list, any scouting report on him? is he even high major talent? Scout shows his list as Boise St, Oregon St, Washington, and Gonzaga.

Looks like hes pretty good based on videos on the Washington Supreme AAU twitter feed, idk. Seems high major to me.

He's solid and I do believe he'll play D1. Very athletic. He's not GU good imo nor is he on Watson's level.

EEzag
06-14-2017, 01:13 PM
He's solid and I do believe he'll play D1. Very athletic. He's not GU good imo nor is he on Watson's level.

agreed. He's good tho. He might grow some or at least grow his game some more. I've seen some California kids with less game get 3 stars, but that's just the nature of the beast. Worth keeping an eye on. Gut tells me Boise State would be a great place for him to land if he were to pick someone today.

Mr Vulture
06-14-2017, 02:27 PM

I think he is GU good myself and I think the likelihood of having a spot for him next class is very good. Why wouldn't we want a local kid, with legit length (6'6" wing), and a D1 game? He's not likely going to be a Top 100 guy but he very well could be a guy like Dranginis, which is a pretty good piece as he matures in the program.

cggonzaga
06-14-2017, 09:34 PM
I think he is GU good myself and I think the likelihood of having a spot for him next class is very good. Why wouldn't we want a local kid, with legit length (6'6" wing), and a D1 game? He's not likely going to be a Top 100 guy but he very well could be a guy like Dranginis, which is a pretty good piece as he matures in the program.

Not to be elitist but GU recruits top 100 kids. Smith isn't one and he definitely isn't high school Dranginis good. Better athlete but that's it if comparing those 2.

thebigsmoove
06-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Taeshon Cherry to take official to Gonzaga (https://t.co/A5iYp3cQF8)

Judging by this article, which for whatever reason is now premium, It appears that We are certainly in the mix with Arizona and Oregon. I would wager even neck and neck for Taeshon. Dad sounds really into the program and likes the idea of his son blazing his own trail at Gonzaga instead of teaming with his friends elsewhere. Also a mention of him being at a catholic high school and liking the smaller class sizes. Looks like the pitch is centered on him coming in and having a Zach Collins-like impact. Taeshon also makes mention of being able to get back to the national championship at Gonzaga. My confidence level in this process rose 10 fold after reading this article.

JAGzag
06-15-2017, 06:13 AM

Judging by this article, which for whatever reason is now premium, It appears that We are certainly in the mix with Arizona and Oregon. I would wager even neck and neck for Taeshon. Dad sounds really into the program and likes the idea of his son blazing his own trail at Gonzaga instead of teaming with his friends elsewhere. Also a mention of him being at a catholic high school and liking the smaller class sizes. Looks like the pitch is centered on him coming in and having a Zach Collins-like impact. Taeshon also makes mention of being able to get back to the national championship at Gonzaga. My confidence level in this process rose 10 fold after reading this article.

Best news of the week, thanks for sharing! Stars have to align for us to nab a kid like Cherry, and sounds like we have a real shot.

strikenowhere
06-15-2017, 06:17 AM

Its amazing what happens when you just disable javascript in your browser ;)

thespywhozaggedme
06-15-2017, 06:29 AM

Man, that article makes it sound like he's going to commit to us.

thebigsmoove
06-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Man, that article makes it sound like he's going to commit to us.

Right? Im really digging this news. 2018 could shape up to be one heckuva class.

thespywhozaggedme
06-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Right? Im really digging this news. 2018 could shape up to be one heckuva class.

Cherry, Hepa and Nembhard would be our highest ranked class ever, I believe.

TexasZagFan
06-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Cherry, Hepa and Nembhard would be our highest ranked class however, I believe.

The Class of 2016 is going to be really hard to beat: Zachs Collins & Norvell, Killian, Larsen, and Rui. Did I leave out anyone? One guaranteed lottery pick, perhaps 2-3 more, and contributors to a Final Four.

https://i.imgflip.com/w8iqp.jpg

cjm720
06-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Cherry, Hepa and Nembhard would be our highest ranked class ever, I believe.

Dream class right there!

Mr Vulture
06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Not to be elitist but GU recruits top 100 kids. Smith isn't one and he definitely isn't high school Dranginis good. Better athlete but that's it if comparing those 2.

We don't recruit only Top 100 players and we are going to be filling 4-5 spots next season. It is unrealistic to think that we'd get all Top 100 guys for those spots...IMO. Additionally, I am not buying into the idea that Naje can't be a similar type player at GU as Dranginis was, with his skill set and size. He may not even get a look by GU, but he may get one as well. I trust the staff as they know way more than any of us on here. I personally think that Naje can play at GU in rotation as he matures.

MDABE80
06-15-2017, 02:30 PM
We don't recruit only Top 100 players and we are going to be filling 4-5 spots next season. It is unrealistic to think that we'd get all Top 100 guys for those spots...IMO. Additionally, I am not buying into the idea that Naje can't be a similar type player at GU as Dranginis was, with his skill set and size. He may not even get a look by GU, but he may get one as well. I trust the staff as they know way more than any of us on here. I personally think that Naje can play at GU in rotation as he matures.

Not sure about this. We always have room for the 2 star/3 star kids but when you've been I n a recent FF and you have the COY AND have TV and Spectacular facilities with more being built, I'd think top 100 kids would be our goal. Further, I'm not seeing why they won't come...........to Gonzaga!
Not to argue but I think we should be getting top 100 players...and ,if they fit what a "ZAG" should be, reel em in.
I am particularly gratified at Mr Cherry's statement on academics and the faith he has. Kid is a bit big on himself . ..........might not be all bad. But we do have some pretty fine things to offer. I'd say as good as anywhere. Smaller Arena than the blue bloods. We couldn't afford more at the time.... .....but our record proves this is a big time school.

thespywhozaggedme
06-15-2017, 04:08 PM
The Class of 2016 is going to be really hard to beat: Zachs Collins & Norvell, Killian, Larsen, and Rui. Did I leave out anyone? One guaranteed lottery pick, perhaps 2-3 more, and contributors to a Final Four.

The players that I listed are a five-star a four-star and a five star. Those are the highest ranked players we have ever had in one recruiting class..

Coach Crazy
06-15-2017, 05:55 PM
The players that I listed are a five-star a four-star and a five star. Those are the highest ranked players we have ever had in one recruiting class..

And we still haven't heard anything on whether or not Pecarski and/or Samanic are even in the mix on any level. We could end up getting none of them. After all, Zona is very likely to be the destination for Taeshon. But the most recent article is not something I was expecting. So maybe a sliver of hope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Crazy
06-15-2017, 05:56 PM

But yes, it would be the best class from a pure recruiting perspective. Ever. And Taeshon may yet still attain McD's status.

ZagNative
06-15-2017, 06:00 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2026.png_zpson7cqyao.jpg

cggonzaga
06-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Intriguing. Has to add weight and muscle.

http://www.kcrungmcbasketball.com/news_article/show/802088?referrer_id=2125059

Reborn
06-15-2017, 06:53 PM

And 4 of the five will be back next year and maybe longer.....

It IS important that the recruiting gets much better as the team continues to advance up the ladder. In Brave Heart Few states the same thing. Recruiting elite talent is very important to become an elite program, which it is now, and then to maintain that status.

ZagNative
06-15-2017, 07:56 PM

http://www.kcrungmcbasketball.com/news_article/show/802088?referrer_id=2125059Wow...

thespywhozaggedme
06-15-2017, 08:39 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Screenshot%2026.png_zpson7cqyao.jpg

Are we recruiting him or do we want him to commit to Arizona so cherry will commit to us?

Coach Crazy
06-15-2017, 09:04 PM

http://www.kcrungmcbasketball.com/news_article/show/802088?referrer_id=2125059

Some of his movement makes it look as though he hasn't grown into his lower half, yet. Could be a kid that finishes up at 6'8/9 with wider shoulders and filled in a bit.

He'll get 5* type attention during his senior year, if he does.

Reborn
06-16-2017, 06:10 AM
There's no question in my mind that Tevian is elite. He could play the 3 or 4. He can really handle the ball and has a very good jump shot. He can really elevate and would become the all-time best dunker at GU replacing Jeremy Pargo. The only problem I have with the video is, "can anyone play defense?"

Hooray4Daye&Gray
06-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Taeshon. But the most recent article is not something I was expecting. So maybe a sliver of hope?

Can someone post a quote or two of why that article makes it seem so promising that Taeshon would come here?

There's no way Taeshon and Tevian would both go to AZ... right?

2018 Shareef O'Neal will start, but is more of a stretch four than a center like his dad.
2018 Chase Jeter is eligible to start playing again, getting some minutes at C/PF.
2017 Emmanuel Akot reclassified to 2017, and is very young. Very good chance he stays at least 2 years I would think.
2017 Ira Lee a solid PF recruit, I would also think unlikely to be a 1 and done.

Let's say Tevian wants to stay home and play some SF off the bench his freshman year.

Why would Taeshon possibly join that logjam?

jazzdelmar
06-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Can someone post a quote or two of why that article makes it seem so promising that Taeshon would come here?

There's no way Taeshon and Tevian would both go to AZ... right?

2018 Shareef O'Neal will start, but is more of a stretch four than a center like his dad.
2018 Chase Jeter is eligible to start playing again, getting some minutes at C/PF.
2017 Emmanuel Akot reclassified to 2017, and is very young. Very good chance he stays at least 2 years I would think.
2017 Ira Lee a solid PF recruit, I would also think unlikely to be a 1 and done.

Let's say Tevian wants to stay home and play some SF off the bench his freshman year.

Why would Taeshon possibly join that logjam?

Ever been to the U of A, U of A?

Stache
06-16-2017, 06:11 PM
U of A is very nice, but to Hooray's point they only play with one ball and five players at a time. We have minutes to offer that the Wildcats don't

willandi
06-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Ever been to the U of A, U of A?

So, do you want to play basketball or watch chicks in mukluks? U of Alberta gets mighty cold.