• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CommonSenseZag
    Redshirt
    • Oct 2007

Minutes per game

This might look confusing but these are some of my thoughts leading up to my 4th year following the team

Pargo-34-35 area remember DR averaging 36 his soph year? 17 ppg 6asst Unanimous C-POY
    Bouldin-28-30 Would play almost as much as pargo but will have games with foul trouble...we will be a man to man team this year...BTW bouldins stats will mirror pargo's of last year with more boards 1st team wcc
    Micah around 25...remember will have to split minutes with Daye, LG, and Grey...also minutes will dwindle as season progresses
    Pendo...hard to say could be best utililized in spurts to take advantage of his tremendous hustle Will play less in first half and then lots in second half when shooting, exp, and leadership is needed most...around 25 first team wcc...(only because of that SC guy gettting co mvp last year
    Kuso 18...will play more in non-Conf games than in conf...few will want to play Sacre and Foster more when we have leads
    Gray gets close to 20 dont be surprised to see JP2 MB and SG in at the end of close games
    ADaye will be interesting to see who plays more between him and Downs... 20mpg...i see Daye as a potential injury risk...is that body ready for college physicality... has to go against pendo, kuso everyday at 190 lbs...that said we will have lots of wow moments with him...great ballhandler, offensive rebounder for 3 position
    LG is the forgotten man...he will play more than Ira i think hustles, only superb wing defender, rebounds offensively, doesnt take unneccesary shots...great glue guy...15-18
    Sacre gets 12-14
    Foster gets 8-12 overlooked, he will contribute in a big way in at least a couple games...guaranteed he gets Kennel player of the game at least once...kinda like mallon used to get them

That is over 200 minutes per game right there
    JH ruled out until he actually plays...bad feet are not something to assume with...Ira and Davis will play in the beginning but be phased out by end of season
    JH back would get like 15-18....his conditioning wasnt good last year and likely would be much worse this year....few would play him in 3-4 minute spurts
  • JLGutrocks
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Welcome Commonsense. Your analysis sounds like some other board members who used to post here under a different name.

Ira and Davis will play in the beginning but be phased out by end of season
    JH back would get like 15-18....his conditioning wasnt good last year and likely would be much worse this year....few would play him in 3-4 minute spurts
    I just don't see this or Kuso at 18 mpg happening. Davis had arguably the best summer of all of the guys who are either new or haven't played on the team. Few is hyping Ira! and I don't see this man-child fading away.

What do you see is the problem with them?
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• Rubbadub
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

No way in the world Josh is playing that little in any game this season unless he gets in some bad early foul trouble...he was the best conditioned athlete on the team last year as well, although i suppose you could make the case for Pargo 1st and JH 2nd.

One thing you pointed out that I also expect to happen is Daye and Micah battling for minutes toward the end of the year. I'd also throw LG and Ira! into that battle as well.
      sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• spudzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

You can imagine how practices will be as each player works to earn those valuable minutes.

It will be facinating to see who rises their game and fits what Fewie is after. Pargo is a now brainer for minutes. JH is a now brainer if he brings focus and determination. I think can be as good as he wants and that has got to come internally.

Some of the others are really interesting. Downs really came on at the end of the year. If he continues he could make it hard to take him out.

I'm really intereged with Big Will's potential. Can he turn potential into playing time or will he get stuck behind others. Will Bouldin develop consistancy. If Gray comes on and Bouldin is inconsistant we could see a real battle there.

Endless other scenerios that will make this a really interesting season. Who will have the game it takes to rise to the top?

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Good first post and welcome. Your estimates are about as accurate as anyone else's. 200 minutes sure dwindle fast when adding up everybody's playing time. I'm glad Few, Rice, RayG and Lloyd are in charge of that, and not me.
          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• HOOTER
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

[QUOTE=CommonSenseZag;96526]Micah around 25...remember will have to split minutes with Daye, LG, and Grey...also minutes will dwindle as season progresses

I personally think Micah will get consistant minutes throughout the season. His versatility will be a major asset. Call me crazy but I see just a little Ammo in him.

Comment

• LAZAGFAN11
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Here's what I got. 40min of play time x 5 positions = 200 min

Pargo 35-38min
              Bouldin 15 min
              Downs 18 min
              Heytvelt 30 min
              Kuso 15 min
              Pendergraft 20 min
              Brown 12 min
              Davis 12 min
              Daye 15 min
              Gray 12 min
              Sacre 5 min
              Gurganious 8 min
              Foster 1-3 min

Comment

• Rubbadub
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Here's what I got.

Pargo - 32
                Bouldin - 22
                Gray - 14
                LG - 10
                Ira! - 13
                Micah - 18
                Pendo - 15
                Daye - 16
                Theo - 9
                JH - 30
                Kuso - 6
                Sacre - 9
                Foster - 6

Comment

• JLGutrocks
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rubbadub View Post
                  Here's what I got.

Pargo - 32
                  Bouldin - 22
                  Gray - 14
                  LG - 10
                  Ira! - 13
                  Micah - 18
                  Pendo - 15
                  Daye - 16
                  Theo - 9
                  JH - 30
                  Kuso - 6
                  Sacre - 9
                  Foster - 6

I'm with you on most of those with Josh's time redistributed to Sacre, Theo, Foster and Kuso if his foot continues to bother him.
                  “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• HOOTER
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Here's what I got.

Pargo - 32
                    Bouldin - 22
                    Gray - 14
                    LG - 10
                    Ira! - 13
                    Micah - 18
                    Pendo - 15
                    Daye - 16
                    Theo - 9
                    JH - 30
                    Kuso - 6
                    Sacre - 9
                    Foster - 6

Only 15 for Pendo?

Comment

• Rubbadub
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HOOTER View Post
                      Only 15 for Pendo?
                      I'm not wishing it on him by any means, but I kind of expect him to be limited bc of his lingering issues with his knee.

There are a few people with injury bugs that could cause the pt to be spread significantly.

Comment

• HOOTER
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

I'm not wishing it on him by any means, but I kind of expect him to be limited bc of his lingering issues with his knee.
                        Your being far too rational. I expect him to play 30+ and average a double-double.

Comment

• Rubbadub
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HOOTER View Post
                          Your being far too rational. I expect him to play 30+ and average a double-double.
                          If we were going to do it ESPN style:

Why Pendo will play 30+ min per game: His knee healed up quite well. It didn't hurt that with the new big men on the team he was able to play against less physical 3's instead of 4's. He also honed his 3 point shot to the point that he didn't have to go into the paint too often to make an impact on offense.

Why Pendo will play 20- min per game: His knee being sore and not as supportive as he would like, combined with the massive amount of talent and athleticism GU has at the 3 and 4, made it difficult for Pendo to log many minutes. It's very difficult to fly all over the place after loose balls and play your trademark ferocious d when you're dealing with a nagging knee injury.

Comment

• Rubbadub
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Just an update...if Foster were to RS like the new Katz article suggests, I'd probably give an extra 3 min to Kuso, 1 to Sacre and 2 to Theo.

Comment

• HOOTER
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

If we were going to do it ESPN style:

Why Pendo will play 30+ min per game: His knee healed up quite well. It didn't hurt that with the new big men on the team he was able to play against less physical 3's instead of 4's. He also honed his 3 point shot to the point that he didn't have to go into the paint too often to make an impact on offense.

Why Pendo will play 20- min per game: His knee being sore and not as supportive as he would like, combined with the massive amount of talent and athleticism GU has at the 3 and 4, made it difficult for Pendo to log many minutes. It's very difficult to fly all over the place after loose balls and play your trademark ferocious d when you're dealing with a nagging knee injury.
                              ESPN style! I like that. Let's hope the first scenario is the closest to reality this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X