PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Contract

thebigsmoove
06-09-2017, 05:54 AM
I know that since Gonzaga is a private school there is no requirement to post Mark Fews actual salary or other financial details, but what im wondering is how did USA Today (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/) come up with his salary at 1.6 million? Also, GoZags.com (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mark_few_966223.html) says hes under contract through 2022, is there any word on whether he will get another extension now since the team made the national title game?

509er
06-09-2017, 08:49 AM
1.6m sounds like a bargain compared to what a lot of coaches are getting. I'm sure he has incentives in his contract plus endorsements but I wonder if that's the real number for his base?

thebigsmoove
06-09-2017, 09:08 AM
1.6m sounds like a bargain compared to what a lot of coaches are getting. I'm sure he has incentives in his contract plus endorsements but I wonder if that's the real number for his base?

Thats what im trying to figure out, its really low compared to similar coaches. Gregg Marshall is at 3 million. Im sure he isnt obsessed with money, so its not a big deal to him, but i would think the university needs to keep his salary in a competitive range with other schools long term.

ZagsGoZags
06-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Any raise in the salary of Travis, Tommy or Few is money that will grow GU's revenues going forward. No better spent dollar in the whole GU budget.

amaronizag
06-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Sort of off topic, but does anyone know if Ken Bone will be on the payroll and employed by GU next year? Thanks in advance.

Zags_Fanatic
06-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Sort of off topic, but does anyone know if Ken Bone will be on the payroll and employed by GU next year? Thanks in advance.

Not sure where he would fit in, might have been able to take over for Jakus as Director of Basketball Ops but Stephen Gentry was already hired for that position.

maynard g krebs
06-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Would be great, but isn't the paid staff full per NCAA regs? Think it is.

thebigsmoove
06-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Would be great, but isn't the paid staff full per NCAA regs? Think it is.

if hes back, it will be in a consultant type role, id bet hes just waiting to find the right spot to relaunch his head coaching career.

amaronizag
06-09-2017, 11:50 AM
paid staff full per NCAA regs......

Ahhh, didn't know the number of coaches was limited by NCAA rules. Good to know. Thanks.

thebigsmoove
06-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Any idea what our assistants make? Weird how hush hush this stuff is.

Outraged
06-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Although you have to be competitive and some people believe more money means more success, you have to be responsible and create the success to justify the reward or such success will never be sustained. So way back when the salary was only $135k they had to come up with a plan to increase revenue to answer "the question why not here?" I think Mark at that time believed their plan would be so successful that he could honestly earn $1.3 million. Mark is old school he earns what he makes. Now I think the better question is what other coaches really earns their salary? Mark can justify his salary. I am not sure some of those other coaches don't while other coaches probabably don't get what they earn. I think Mark's salary and record is how things are done right and other schools should be looking here rather than us looking there. After all we answered the question of why not here?

zagsfanforlife
06-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Any big time college coach, and yes i consider GU a big time program.. have 1) endorsement deals paying their coach 2) big incentives in their contract and 3) get paid for clinics, camps and other community events.

I am almost 100% sure Few is bringing in over 2mil per year based on these factors.

GoZags
06-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Any big time college coach, and yes i consider GU a big time program.. have 1) endorsement deals paying their coach 2) big incentives in their contract and 3) get paid for clinics, camps and other community events.

I am almost 100% sure Few is bringing in over 2mil per year based on these factors.

Possibly.

The "formula" for the tertiary deals have been structured to keep the GU staff intact (and happy). Not that Fewie doesn't do well ... but there IS a reason Tommy is still at Gonzaga.

cggonzaga
06-09-2017, 07:13 PM
1.6m in Spokane is pretty healthy. I'd imagine it's like 3-4m in a place like LA.

Listentome
02-18-2018, 12:20 AM
He is worth more than he is paid. But money isn't everything. He has job security. He has a fantastic coaching staff. He gets to go to the ncaa every year. He gets recruits because they want to play for him and they know he isn't going to leave for more money. and still, he makes more in a year than most people make in a lifetime. Not a bad gig.

kitzbuel
02-18-2018, 03:30 AM
His salary is not out of range.

Frank Martin
University of South Carolina Gamecocks
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $2.45 million

Dana Altman
University of Oregon Ducks
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $2.65 million

Roy Williams
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tar Heels
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $2.1 million

Mark Few
Gonzaga University Bulldogs
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $1.6 million

http://fortune.com/2017/03/31/ncaa-final-four-coaches-pay/
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

This is salary and doesn’t include endorsements.

JAGzag
02-18-2018, 04:20 AM
His salary is not out of range.

Frank Martin
University of South Carolina Gamecocks
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $2.45 million

Dana Altman
University of Oregon Ducks
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $2.65 million

Roy Williams
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tar Heels
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $2.1 million

Mark Few
Gonzaga University Bulldogs
2016-2017 Season Compensation: $1.6 million

http://fortune.com/2017/03/31/ncaa-final-four-coaches-pay/
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

This is salary and doesn’t include endorsements.

1.6M in Spokane basically makes him a billionaire.

Zagger
02-18-2018, 04:35 AM
1.6M in Spokane basically makes him a billionaire.

I consider myself pretty 'rich' just living in the Spokane area :) and my salary was* <5% of Few's
* Retired :)

MTZag03
02-18-2018, 05:26 AM
As others have said, I think the big picture here is how his salary affects the assistants' salaries. Keeping them together is as important as keeping Few here IMO.

Coach Crazy
02-18-2018, 06:03 AM
I consider myself pretty 'rich' just living in the Spokane area :) and my salary was* <5% of Few's
* Retired :)

I grew up in West Central, and even 50 or 60k would have you in the upper echelon, there. Unless itís changed somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoZags
02-18-2018, 07:09 AM
As others have said, I think the big picture here is how his salary affects the assistants' salaries. Keeping them together is as important as keeping Few here IMO.

Here's what I wrote on this topic (and in this thread) back in June.

the tertiary deals have been structured to keep the GU staff intact (and happy). Not that Fewie doesn't do well ... but there IS a reason Tommy is still at Gonzaga.