PDA

View Full Version : Best coaching job

Outraged
06-06-2017, 07:36 PM
http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/06/the-16-most-desirable-coaching-gigs-in-college-basketball/

Well, this is refreshing. Who knew we would climb this high. "Why not here?"

Zagdawg
06-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Wow-

2. Gonzaga

Still a Cinderella after all these years. You’re not actually expected to win national championships at Gonzaga, but you nonetheless can roll up an astonishing win-loss record, make gobs of money, and probably have a statue made in your honor in a beautiful part of the country. This could be the cushiest coaching gig in all of sports.

seacatfan
06-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Is this really complimentary? Cushiest gig...not actually expected to win national championships...Seems like more of a backhanded compliment to me.

This like pretty much all click bait lists is useless and doesn't even attempt to explain the criteria that is used or apply consistency.

Just_An_Old_Zag
06-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Im sure Adrian Buoncristiani felt it was the second best coaching job in all of America...sorry I went old school..well cuz I am old school

sheps001
06-07-2017, 01:52 PM
His players got tired of calling him by his last name (or worse couldn't pronounce it) so they just called him Coach ABC!
LOL! LOL!

Reborn
06-07-2017, 02:47 PM
I'd say this is pretty cool. Yet, we can't get kids from California to come here. Also tough to get Seattle kids to come. Nice to see Oregon at 14. Yet Oregon out recruits us here in the United States. I think a big part of this is how great our student body is (Kennel Club). K2 is a great place to play.

maynard g krebs
06-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Is this really complimentary? Cushiest gig...not actually expected to win national championships...Seems like more of a backhanded compliment to me.

This like pretty much all click bait lists is useless and doesn't even attempt to explain the criteria that is used or apply consistency.

Agree. This is nonsensical. It was so "cushy" when the coaches stashed an old car in the bay area to save on car rentals. No credit for building something incredible in an unlikely place and for the vision and work involved. Backhanded a good choice of terms.

CDC84
06-08-2017, 09:02 AM
I still feel the cushiest jobs in America are Florida and Texas. Those two schools, despite being football schools, actually invest money in basketball. Most football programs don't. Schools like Auburn and Alabama truly could care less about college basketball. However, despite the monetary investment, Gator and Longhorn fans still only look forward to spring football. Texas might have the best training & conditioning program in the nation. The facilities (outside of the arena maybe) are amazing. As long as you win, you will stay a long, long time. Rick Barnes was at the school for ages until their patience finally ran out. Both Texas and Florida produce a great amount of prep basketball talent. You get all these resources and the prestige of playing in a big time league, but you have 20% of the pressure of UNC or UCLA. I think that both Mike White and Shaka Smart have fantastic jobs. Cushy jobs for sure.

I don't agree with the article about Gonzaga being a cushy job. It's not going to happen, but let's just say that Few went to some BCS school and took the staff with him. I don't know if many coaching candidates would think of it as being a cushy job when they look at Mark's winning percentage and how he has dominated the WCC and made Gonzaga a national force within college basketball. And the fact that it was largely due to him. Not sure how cushy that is. The new guy would feel a lot of pressure. GU fans have comes to expect 25+ win seasons every year and a NCAA tournament appearance. I understand GU has way more resources and all that, but a lot of this program's success is based around Few and his coaching talent.

TexasZagFan
06-08-2017, 10:06 AM
I still feel the cushiest jobs in America are Florida and Texas. Those two schools, despite being football schools, actually invest money in basketball. Most football programs don't. Schools like Auburn and Alabama truly could care less about college basketball. However, despite the monetary investment, Gator and Longhorn fans still only look forward to spring football. Texas might have the best training & conditioning program in the nation. The facilities (outside of the arena maybe) are amazing. As long as you win, you will stay a long, long time. Rick Barnes was at the school for ages until their patience finally ran out. Both Texas and Florida produce a great amount of prep basketball talent. You get all these resources and the prestige of playing in a big time league, but you have 20% of the pressure of UNC or UCLA. I think that both Mike White and Shaka Smart have fantastic jobs. Cushy jobs for sure.

I don't agree with the article about Gonzaga being a cushy job. It's not going to happen, but let's just say that Few went to some BCS school and took the staff with him. I don't know if many coaching candidates would think of it as being a cushy job when they look at Mark's winning percentage and how he has dominated the WCC and made Gonzaga a national force within college basketball. And the fact that it was largely due to him. Not sure how cushy that is. The new guy would feel a lot of pressure. GU fans have comes to expect 25+ win seasons every year and a NCAA tournament appearance. I understand GU has way more resources and all that, but a lot of this program's success is based around Few and his coaching talent.

Every team in the WCC could field competitive teams just from players from North Texas. Within a 30 mile radius are at least 30 6-A schools, with probably a fair number of 4 star prospects, usually bound for Power 5 schools. The pool of 3 stars is huge, and there's great interest in basketball here. These are kids that can be coached up during their college years.

I need to get out more: at a local mall (Grapevine Mills), there's an indoor sports facility called Fieldhouse USA, a 100K SF facility. I ventured over their last night to see if I could get my son on a summer league team. At 9 PM (during the NBA Finals), all five courts had league games in process, for varied age groups.

I dropped him off at our local fitness center at 9:30, where he played a few pickup games until 11:30.

Gonzaga, a cushy job? Not with the bar that's been set over the past 20 years. How would a new coach replicate the family atmosphere we have at GU? That's why it's important that there always be a "coach-in-waiting", such as Tommy Lloyd.

I saw that article as nothing more than a writer up against a deadline, and he had the material ready to go.

I saw another article in SB nation regarding their too early top 25. Zags received an honorable mention. I would have replied, but it's one of those sites you have to be a member of Facebook...eff that.

DixieZag
06-08-2017, 11:30 AM

This, a million times over.

I don't disagree with the writer if he is saying that Few has the 2nd best job in America. Few probably does IMO with respect to him and his relationship with GU.

But, everything else about it presumes Few level of success, or this school and town would suddenly not be near as "cushy" for a coach, because we, too, expect wins, now - lots of wins. And what this guy doesn't appreciate is that it's unlikely many (any?) other coaches could persuade the type of talent that Few does to come here in the first place.

Tommy certainly could likely build up a ton of wins, maybe the others, too.

But, a new coach coming in? Good luck. Because it doesn't just happen just because. It happens b/c of the guys Few gets. If the best coach in the world is coaching up 2 star players, you're not going to win 28 games.

bartruff1
06-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Monson has the cushy job....he doesn't even have to win to keep it....