PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Adam Silver on NBA age rule: ‘It’s not working for anyone’

ZagaZags
06-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Adam Silver wants to do something about the NBA’s age limit, because he does not believe the current system is working.

Players must be at least 19 years of age in order to enter the draft. This has led to the one-and-done system, where talented high schoolers go to college for one season and leave to go pro before they’ve even completed an academic year.

The NBA and NCAA don’t like that, so Silver aspires to change it.

More at link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/adam-silver-on-nba-age-rule-%e2%80%98it%e2%80%99s-not-working-for-anyone%e2%80%99/ar-BBBNPpO?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=HPDHP

thebigsmoove
06-02-2017, 03:32 AM
More at link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/adam-silver-on-nba-age-rule-%e2%80%98it%e2%80%99s-not-working-for-anyone%e2%80%99/ar-BBBNPpO?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=HPDHP

They need to stop fooling around and use the baseball system. Go pro out of high school or commit to 3 years at university.

Zagger
06-02-2017, 03:40 AM
They need to stop fooling around and use the baseball system. Go pro out of high school or commit to 3 years at university.
Sounds good to me. I'd even go for U years at 2. Anything is better than 1 and done IMHO.

Bogozags
06-02-2017, 04:33 AM
More at link.

I would love to see the NBA incorporate the same rule MLB has instituted, where HS seniors can enter the draft; however, if they decide to forgo entree at that time, then they must wait until after their junior year in college (that is if they chose to go to college).

I would think this change would effect the opportunity of many schools to recruit talent, because schools such as UK or Duke would not be able to sign all the Top 50 players they usually get each year. HS seniors would have to decide whether to go into the draft out of HS or wait three years or go overseas and play. Once a recruit has signed to go to UK then he would have to stay for three years. The 5* recruits would see less roster turnover and therefore, less available PT so other schools would have an opportunity to sign these players...

That isn't to say they would all flock to GU but more would be available...

To me this isn't rocket science and if it has worked great for MLB then it could work as well for the NBA...

thebigsmoove
06-02-2017, 05:08 AM
...schools such as UK or Duke would not be able to sign all the Top 50 players they usually get each year...

As much as i want to agree with that, i doubt it. UK and Duke will always have the recruiting advantage for many reasons. Especially rich boosters who have the petty cash to let some of these guys have fun.

zagfan24
06-02-2017, 05:22 AM
Sounds good to me. I'd even go for U years at 2. Anything is better than 1 and done IMHO.

My favorite comment he made on the radio a few days ago was that it's not even one and done. It's more like 1/2 and done...the only semester most of these players attend is the first one, then it's bye-bye after the season ends. It's not good for the players, college basketball, or the NBA.

bartruff1
06-02-2017, 05:27 AM
There shouldn't be any rule at all....leave it up to the players to decide if they want to go to college or not.... or for how long.... I am suspicious that the NBA and the NCAA could care less about the athletes..... but are more concerned about what is beneficial to their organizations ...

JPtheBeasta
06-02-2017, 05:54 AM
There was a period where the NBA went crazy drafting high schoolers and it brought down the game. I don't really care at this point. If the NBA wants to draft all of the the Robert Swifts of the world out of high school that's their problem. They can stash them in the D League.

The college game will miss out on a lot of talented players but it will still be more fun to watch than the NBA.

kitzbuel
06-02-2017, 06:45 AM
I would love to see the NBA incorporate the same rule MLB has instituted, where HS seniors can enter the draft; however, if they decide to forgo entree at that time, then they must wait until after their junior year in college (that is if they chose to go to college).

I would think this change would effect the opportunity of many schools to recruit talent, because schools such as UK or Duke would not be able to sign all the Top 50 players they usually get each year. HS seniors would have to decide whether to go into the draft out of HS or wait three years or go overseas and play. Once a recruit has signed to go to UK then he would have to stay for three years. The 5* recruits would see less roster turnover and therefore, less available PT so other schools would have an opportunity to sign these players...

That isn't to say they would all flock to GU but more would be available...

To me this isn't rocket science and if it has worked great for MLB then it could work as well for the NBA...
I think the MLB system would be much better, but would not change recruiting patterns.

For one, there would be fewer top tier recruits and they would go to the top schools still. It would be easier to convince them to sit on the bench for a year or so because they are more likely to get their shot later rather than be recruited over.

Essentially it would thin out the pipeline but the distribution model would be the same.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

cbbfanatic
06-02-2017, 07:12 AM
As much as i want to agree with that, i doubt it. UK and Duke will always have the recruiting advantage for many reasons. Especially rich boosters who have the petty cash to let some of these guys have fun.

this is how i feel too. a baseball-like rule, while good for the game in my opinion, would solidify the true power schools - which is also probably good for the game, big picture-wise. they're still going to get the best kids (that decide to go to college), and now they get everyone that steps on campus for a minimum of 3 yrs. it might not help feed into the current recruiting pitch of a guy like calipari (obviously, since his current pitch is "i'll get you to the nba in 1 year"), but i imagine he could adjust pretty easily and still sell the kentucky brand with ease.

duke, uk, kansas, unc would continue to pull the best HS players, in a new system they'd have the luxury of less roster turnover

slickguser
06-02-2017, 07:16 AM
There shouldn't be any rule at all....leave it up to the players ....

Could not agree more.

It's not good for the players, college basketball, or the NBA.
I believe this is a decision made by the player - I am all for a person making their own decisions about their life.

It seems to me that college/NBA are just trying to adjust their models to maximize their profits....

Drop the rule, things will work out.

TexasZagFan
06-02-2017, 07:48 AM
There shouldn't be any rule at all....leave it up to the players to decide if they want to go to college or not.... or for how long.... I am suspicious that the NBA and the NCAA could care less about the athletes..... but are more concerned about what is beneficial to their organizations ...

Bart, we grew up in a bygone era, where you entered adulthood when you turned 18. Even though the drinking age in CA was 21, he told me "help yourself" to the beer in the fridge. My sister got her own place after she graduated from HS, though she was not forced out.

Gonzaga appealed to me in part due to the 900 mile distance between home and school. There were no difficulties with my parents, it was time for me to spread my wings.

IMO, the current age limit in the NBA is for one reason only: to protect NBA GMs and owners from poor decision making regarding 18 YO basketball players.

willandi
06-02-2017, 08:53 AM
I think that the NCAA is culpable here. They should have insisted that, in order to play in post season tournaments, including conference, the schools should have been required to post CURRENT GPA's, from mid-terms taken in the week(s) just before the tournament. They should also have insisted on attendance records, to show that the students are still attending class.

If, when reviewed, it is found that the GPA's were false or the attendance record not accurate, the team in question should have become immediately in eligible and disqualified. Any games won, reversed, even if it meant naming a new NC, and the team/school barred from post season play for an extended period.

It shouldn't matter what the NBA does or decides, this is an NCAA thing, BUT the scholarship contract would need to go both ways. If a player left early, any and all money earned at the NBA level should be forfeit until the schollie has been ended.

Just my opinion.

tinfoilzag
06-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Adam Silver on NBA age rule: ‘It’s not working for anyone’

NBA gets to evaluate talent for free mitigating a lot of the risk of giving million-dollar guaranteed contracts to kids out of high school.

NCAA gets to sell the work of world-class entertainers and pay them relatively nothing in return.

Adam Silver, I can think of two groups the current system is working for.

CDC84
06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
This is nothing new. David Stern wanted a 20 year old age limit as well. It's just that the player's union wouldn't agree to it during collective bargaining, so they compromised with making it 19 with the hope that they could eventually bump it up to 20.

I keep saying this.......the best way to eliminate all of these problems is to do away with the NBA rookie salary cap. It's the single worst thing that basketball has adopted in the past 30 years at any level. If there wasn't a cap, there would be no need for an age limit. You want to know why the 1991 national semifinal game vs. Duke and UNLV featured something like 7 first rounders who were upperclassmen? It was because there was no rookie salary cap. Players made dang sure not to enter the league until they were as developed as possible. Some left early like Michael Jordan, but he was ready.

CDC84
06-02-2017, 10:32 AM
From TSN:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-one-and-done-rule-change-adam-silver-college-basketball-proposal/2nlkfrf9z4zy14qna6xqqu4vd

bartruff1
06-02-2017, 10:45 AM
This is a no brainer....people have rights....in a democratic constitutional society the way to solve problems is to appoint a ad hoc multicultural team of stakeholders ....players, coaches, owners, educators , parents....etcetera ....

The team can define the problem(s)..... identify some alternative solutions .....and recommend a course of action..... with criteria to monitor and measure progress ......and a process for feedback .......and necessary adjustments ....

The obvious member of such a team would be Mark Cuban, Charles Barkley, Mark Emmert, Mrs. Curry, John Calipari, LaVar Ball and Jared Kushner ....

TexasZagFan
06-02-2017, 11:35 AM
This is nothing new. David Stern wanted a 20 year old age limit as well. It's just that the player's union wouldn't agree to it during collective bargaining, so they compromised with making it 19 with the hope that they could eventually bump it up to 20.

I keep saying this.......the best way to eliminate all of these problems is to do away with the NBA rookie salary cap. It's the single worst thing that basketball has adopted in the past 30 years at any level. If there wasn't a cap, there would be no need for an age limit. You want to know why the 1991 national semifinal game vs. Duke and UNLV featured something like 7 first rounders who were upperclassmen? It was because there was no rookie salary cap. Players made dang sure not to enter the league until they were as developed as possible. Some left early like Michael Jordan, but he was ready.

The NBA draft has outlived its purpose. Make it an entirely free market, players can sign with whomever they like. If you're a team like Golden State, you have no need for draft picks if Durant decides to take less money. If you're a team that's rebuilding, you could conceivably rebuild it in one offseason, instead of sucking for years like the 76ers did.

No guarantee of success, and there would be some fabulous flameouts, such as the $44 million or so that was paid to Shawn Bradley. IMO, it would go a long way to cure the malaise that affects over half of NBA franchises.

There's no such thing as a bottomless pit of money out there, it would be a self-correcting mechanism to spendthrift owners.

gu03alum
06-02-2017, 11:55 AM

I agree.

MDABE80
06-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Institutional control is rarely given up willingly. Not likely the NBA or NCAA will ever give up control. CDC's idea is correct in my view. Lots of young kids get talked into leaving scholl and sacrificing their only meal ticket ie meals, lodging and education that'll be with them the rest of their lives if they finish school.
It's about money. Ever hear of a kid leaving (like out own this year) when it wasn't about money?? Big money in some cases. Culture has changed. Kids and their parents (correctly put) want the money. They say it's "time" or it's "best for the kid", and so on. It's about the money . SO who gets it is limited. Not to be political, it's kinda like Obamacare......I'd let it go. It'll die off of its own accord. Just like kids leaving for money. They money dies off as big stars take the cash from franchises. The market should float. Let er rip. ;)

Robzagnut
06-02-2017, 12:22 PM
The NBA draft has outlived its purpose. Make it an entirely free market, players can sign with whomever they like. If you're a team like Golden State, you have no need for draft picks if Durant decides to take less money. If you're a team that's rebuilding, you could conceivably rebuild it in one offseason, instead of sucking for years like the 76ers did.

Worst idea I've ever heard here. The rich would get richer with no way for small market teams or undesirable locations (Minnesota, Ok City, Toronto, etc) to attract players. The draft works well for the teams who use it wisely.

Golden State didn't get Durant until after he played for Seattle/Ok City for 9 years. Also, Golden State would still be one of the worst franchises in the NBA if they weren't given the ability to draft Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson high in the draft and Draymond Green in the 2nd round. Jerry West is a freaking genius.

bartruff1
06-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Atlas would not approve of the Draft....I agree with Tex...the only fair and merit based system is the free market.....break up the cartels .

TexasZagFan
06-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Worst idea I've ever heard here. The rich would get richer with no way for small market teams or undesirable locations (Minnesota, Ok City, Toronto, etc) to attract players. The draft works well for the teams who use it wisely.

Golden State didn't get Durant until after he played for Seattle/Ok City for 9 years. Also, Golden State would still be one of the worst franchises in the NBA if they weren't given the ability to draft Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson high in the draft and Draymond Green in the 2nd round. Jerry West is a freaking genius.

You cut me to the quick. lol, the current system is working out so well, isn't it? Owners and players are now making money hand over fist, and their cartel keeps out young adults from entering the league until they're 19.

The teams play in mostly publicly funded arenas, while small market teams plead poverty. Superstars now game the system, and it's resulted in journeyman players eligible for contracts paying $25 million a year. If I was a GM and had the choice, it would be a much better risk to bid $25 million a year for Markelle Fultz or De'Andre Fox instead of oft-injured Chandler Parsons. Instead of betting $25 million for 4 years on the creaky knees of Nerlens Noel, I could probably get Zach Collins for half that.

I tip my hat to the Warriors...Jerry West runs circles around most GMs. Teams that have struck gold in the draft love the current system. BTW, small market teams have been mostly unable to retain their stars. Hopefully, Minnesota will break that trend.

I wouldn't have to mortgage my future by bundling my draft picks for multiple years, as Brooklyn did in their deal with Boston.

Robzagnut
06-02-2017, 03:00 PM
It's working perfectly. Golden State vs Cleveland for the 3rd year in a row? If someone would have told you that during the Magic Lakers vs. Bird Celtics years or the Jordan years you would have been laughed out of the room.

Teams build thru the draft. LeBron left Cleveland because no one would come and join him there. Not until Cleveland got Irving #1 overall and Wiggins #1 overall and traded him to Minnesota for Love did he come back. Once LeBron is gone, no decent player will go back to Cleveland without a draft. No one would play for San Antonio until their luck of getting the #1 overall pick and drafting Tim Duncan and the brilliance of their front office with foreign players Parker and Manu.

I'm a Celtics fan and I watched closely while the Nets GM made one of the worst trades in history by trading 3 first round picks for over-the-hill Pierce and Garnett. You can't use that as an example of trying to build a team. That's not mortgaging your future, it's getting your ass fired.

We can use the end of the 2016 season as an example of why your idea won't work. Where did Durant go? To the best team. He wants to win. Where would the best college players go? To the best teams.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
06-03-2017, 10:15 PM
In no other industry are there perfectly capable adults who are arbitrarily kept out of the workforce because they're not old enough.

Guys should be able to declare for the draft whenever the heck they want. After zero years of college, after 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Mantua
06-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Free markets favor the employees, not employees or fans. I assume that the NBA has the support of the owners if the NBA is proposing the rule change. I suppose you could make an argument that considered labor laws that apply to other industries.

CDC84
06-05-2017, 07:44 AM
I am not saying I favor or don't favor the NBA age limit, but be very careful about throwing around the terms NBA and free market too much in the same sentence. The NBA is really more like a monopoly, which is part of the reason why you do not see kids trying to legally challenge the age limit. The success of the league is greater than anyone team and its "rights" to do this or that. When the Warriors and Cavs face each other this week, it is not like Coca Cola vs. Pepsi. It's kind of like the free market, but then it's not.

Again, if I were the commish, I wouldn't spend all this worthless time banging my head on the desk in regards to the age limit. I'd do everything short of amputating my limbs to do away with the rookie salary cap. I can't think of a worse rule in sports. It doesn't favor the players or the upper brass.

kitzbuel
06-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Why would GMs favor that?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
06-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Free markets favor the employees, not employees or fans. I assume that the NBA has the support of the owners if the NBA is proposing the rule change. I suppose you could make an argument that considered labor laws that apply to other industries.

Let's see how free agency plays out this summer. If it turns out that three or four teams out of 29 are capable of challenging the Warriors, that will leave 26 teams out in the cold. The only way the owners will care is when it starts to hit their bottom line. The rookie salary cap keeps GMs and owners from the consequences of their draft mistakes.

Who will be the next "super team", after the Warriors and Cavaliers? Boston, Houston, San Antonio?