PDA

View Full Version : CBS report includes NWG

willandi
05-31-2017, 06:56 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ten-players-taking-a-big-risk-in-the-nba-draft-but-should-have-stayed-in-college/

'Had Williams-Goss come back, he would have been the preseason pick for national player of the year. Gonzaga would have been close to a top-10 team and by nature of getting Williams-Goss back, the Zags could have hoped for a repeat Final Four showing. If he came back and even equaled his 2016-17 averages (16.8 points, six rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.7 steals in 32.8 minutes), he would have reinforced his NBA résumé.'

They also say that it was probably a good decision. I remember Mr Irrelevant, Rob Sacre and he had a good run. Maybe NWG will do the same only better, if you know what I mean.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 07:09 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ten-players-taking-a-big-risk-in-the-nba-draft-but-should-have-stayed-in-college/

'Had Williams-Goss come back, he would have been the preseason pick for national player of the year. Gonzaga would have been close to a top-10 team and by nature of getting Williams-Goss back, the Zags could have hoped for a repeat Final Four showing. If he came back and even equaled his 2016-17 averages (16.8 points, six rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.7 steals in 32.8 minutes), he would have reinforced his NBA résumé.'

They also say that it was probably a good decision. I remember Mr Irrelevant, Rob Sacre and he had a good run. Maybe NWG will do the same only better, if you know what I mean.

IMO, Nigel made the right move. There's no guarantee of another Final Four had he returned, and it's time for JP and Silas to lead the backcourt. There's no resume for him to "reinforce".

There's no doubt in my mind that Nigel will land an NBA contract soon, thanks in part to NBA rosters expanding from 15 to 17 per team.

O/T a bit, but given the fact that two teams have a legit shot at a title, a number of small market teams may put their focus on increasing the bottom line vs. attempting to field a team that can compete for a title. Younger, cheaper players like Nigel will likely find a home in that construct.

willandi
05-31-2017, 07:28 AM
IMO, Nigel made the right move. There's no guarantee of another Final Four had he returned, and it's time for JP and Silas to lead the backcourt. There's no resume for him to "reinforce".

There's no doubt in my mind that Nigel will land an NBA contract soon, thanks in part to NBA rosters expanding from 15 to 17 per team.

O/T a bit, but given the fact that two teams have a legit shot at a title, a number of small market teams may put their focus on increasing the bottom line vs. attempting to field a team that can compete for a title. Younger, cheaper players like Nigel will likely find a home in that construct.

I really do agree. I just stumbled across the article and thought I would post it. Mika was the next player mentioned, and they said that had he come back and had the same type season, it probably wouldn't have made any difference, draft wise.

thebigsmoove
05-31-2017, 08:12 AM
Had Williams-Goss come back, he would have been the preseason pick for national player of the year. Gonzaga would have been close to a top-10 team and by nature of getting Williams-Goss back, the Zags could have hoped for a repeat Final Four showing. If he came back and even equaled his 2016-17 averages (16.8 points, six rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.7 steals in 32.8 minutes), he would have reinforced his NBA résumé.

Not worried in the least, next man up.

jazzdelmar
05-31-2017, 08:18 AM
Major overstatement that he would be preseason POY....so many great players new and old next year.....Could say same for Collins....or Sabonis, who would be a senior (sigh!)

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Major overstatement that he would be preseason POY....so many great players new and old next year.....Could say same for Collins....or Sabonis, who would be a senior (sigh!)

Your hidden message is the staff should go after 3 stars that can be turned into 4 stars by developing them over 4 years. j/k

There's going to be another round of departures at the end of this year: Silas and J3 to graduation, Killie and Rui (perhaps Josh) to the pros. I'm a bit antsy over the 2018-2019 team.

CDC84
05-31-2017, 09:07 AM
I still love the fact that Sacre was the very last pick of the draft.

My guess is that we'll see NWG get picked somewhere mid-2nd round. Some team is going to fall in love with his game and IQ. As so many people have said, if Delly can make the league, so can Nigel.

hooter73
05-31-2017, 09:24 AM
it was the right move, even for GU fans losing a great, great player with eligibility left. He's done his collegiate work, time to let it come to fruition one way or another.

jazzdelmar
05-31-2017, 09:45 AM
(perhaps Josh) to the pros. .

Now I know you're kidding....

Robzagnut
05-31-2017, 09:51 AM

You are correct.

Frank Mason III won the College Player of the Year and he only projects to be a 2nd round pick. And for some reason the NBA doesn't look upon 5th year seniors favorably.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Now I know you're kidding....

I'm expecting a break out year from Josh, but there's a reason why his name was in parentheses. He would need that breakout year to put himself in position for being drafted.

maynard g krebs
05-31-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm expecting a break out year from Josh, but there's a reason why his name was in parentheses. He would need that breakout year to put himself in position for being drafted.

I expect Josh to have a very good year, but this team will have so much perimeter scoring ability, and Josh is gonna move the ball around, so I doubt that he puts up huge stats. Low dbl digit scoring and 4-4.5 apg is what I expect, prolly not enough to get drafted. I'd be happy if I'm wrong and Josh has a huge year, but I see next year's team w/ a lot of scoring balance, maybe 5 guys in dbl digits w/ a couple more close and nobody over about 13

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 10:49 AM
I expect Josh to have a very good year, but this team will have so much perimeter scoring ability, and Josh is gonna move the ball around, so I doubt that he puts up huge stats. Low dbl digit scoring and 4-4.5 apg is what I expect, prolly not enough to get drafted. I'd be happy if I'm wrong and Josh has a huge year, but I see next year's team w/ a lot of scoring balance, maybe 5 guys in dbl digits w/ a couple more close and nobody over about 13

Won't argue with those predictions. If Josh gets 30 mpg, I think he could be closer to 7-8 apg.

maynard g krebs
05-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Won't argue with those predictions. If Josh gets 30 mpg, I think he could be closer to 7-8 apg.

Lonzo ball led the nation at 7.6 apg; one other guy averaged 7. A dozen guys were between 6 and 7. Zags move the ball around the perimeter and enter it to the post a lot. Most of the guys w/ big assist numbers are drive and dish guys. NWG was under 5 assists last year; all things considered I think if Josh is in the 4-5 range that's great. Key of course is getting the a/to ratio back above 2.

Bogozags
05-31-2017, 12:47 PM
I think both Josh and Melson both need to be stronger driving to the basket, that creates a mind set for defenders that they have to defend the dribble-drive...I loved Jeremy Pargo and his ability to dribble drive but his shot was suspect from behind the line...on the other hand both Josh and Melson shoot it well from behind the arc and IMO the dribble-drive gets them more and better shots from behind the arc...

I think having 5-6 assists is realistic as again, IMO Josh is a better passer than NWG...NWG had the ball in his hands much of the clock on each possession...