PDA

View Full Version : PK80 Brackets to be Announced Today

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 06:02 AM
PK80 Invitational Retweeted
Butler Basketball‏Verified account @ButlerMBB 58m58 minutes ago
The @pkinvitational brackets will be announced today. BU is part of the most storied in-season tournament field in history.

http://pkinvitational.com/

Going to be a great tournament!

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 07:01 AM
PK80 Invitational Retweeted
ESPN Events‏Verified account @ESPNEvents 8m8 minutes ago
�� The 2 @pkinvitational brackets will be revealed at 1 ET today! 16 of the top @Nike programs will meet in Portland this November #pk80

bartruff1
05-31-2017, 07:02 AM
It is probably my computer but that is the slowest, most cluttered. non intuitive site.... they need to hire someone from Amazon ....I am surprised Nike would put out a annoying product like that...after a couple tries, I gave up...

meadgrad02
05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Ohio State it is.

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
http://pkinvitational.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/PK80-Printable-Brackets.pdf

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Ohio State it is.

UNC plays Portland...ouch.

gonstu
05-31-2017, 09:09 AM
http://pkinvitational.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/PK80-Printable-Brackets.pdf

Could be worse. Potential re-match from last season's pre-conf tourney w/ Florida - they were a nice victory as far as the metrics were concerned. Win 2 games and get to face Dook - that would be awesome.

007Zag
05-31-2017, 09:11 AM

The tournament organizers missed a HUGE opportunity to have a Gonzaga v North Carolina rematch, either guaranteeing it in the first round by simply swapping GU and Portland or at least leaving open the possibility of a matchup by putting them in the same bracket. I would have loved the chance to see our boys get revenge on the Tarheels, although there is no shortage of quality wins to be had on our side.

BobZag
05-31-2017, 09:13 AM
May 31, 2017
Gonzaga University Sports Information
For Immediate Release

Brackets Revealed for PK80
Two eight-team brackets – “Motion” and “Victory” with three 2017 Final Four participants

PORTLAND, Ore. – The brackets and first round matchups have been released for the PK80 Presented by State Farm and Gonzaga will take on Ohio State in the evening session in its first game at Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Nov. 23. The Zags and Buckeyes are part of the “Motion” Bracket along with Butler, Duke, Florida, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.

The “Motion” and “Victory” brackets for PK80 presented by State Farm – the 16-team, early-season men’s college basketball event honoring Nike co-founder and 2012 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee Phil Knight celebrating his 80th birthday – have been finalized.

The two eight-team brackets will run simultaneously in the Moda Center and Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Ore., with the crowning of two champions. Games will be played Thursday, Nov. 23, Friday, Nov. 24 and Sunday, Nov. 26.

To view the bracket, click here. All games from Portland will be televised on ESPN networks (to be announced at a later date). PK80 was created on behalf of the schools and is owned and operated by ESPN Events, a division of ESPN, in conjunction with the Rose Quarter.

Ticket Information
Limited All Session and Moda Only Ticket Packages are still available exclusively at pkinvitational.com/tickets. Single-session tickets, which include seats for two games, will go on sale Friday, June 9 at 10 a.m. PT. Tickets will be available at ticketmaster.com, the Rose Quarter Box Office (M-F 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.), by calling 800.745.3000 or online atpkinvitational.com/tickets. Fans can join the presale for single-session seats by signing up now at http://pkinvitational.com/event-info/.

Field Breakdown
One of the largest regular-season multi-team events in college basketball history, PK80 sports a field featuring some of the top schools in the nation.
• The field boasts 24 National Champions, including 10 of the past 14 winners
• Participants include three 2017 NCAA Final Four teams (National Champion North Carolina, Runner-up Gonzaga and Oregon)
• Also, earning berths in the 2017 NCAA Tournament was Arkansas, Butler, Duke, Florida and Michigan State, in addition to field participants UConn, Georgetown, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Portland, Portland State, Stanford and Texas

Bracket Breakdown
The PK80 brackets are named as a tribute to Phil Knight and the iconic sports brand he created.
• “Victory”: In Greek mythology, Nike was considered the goddess of Victory
• “Motion”: The swoosh logo is not only meant to represent motion, but to also resemble the wings of the goddess Nike
The “Motion” bracket will feature Butler, Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.
• The early session will showcase Duke vs. Portland State and Butler against Texas
• The evening session pairs Florida against Stanford and Gonzaga vs. Ohio State
The “Victory” bracket will showcase Arkansas, UConn, Georgetown, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon and Portland.
• North Carolina will face Portland and Arkansas will play Oklahoma in the day’s early session
• The evening games will feature Georgetown against Michigan State and UConn vs. Oregon

Rose Quarter
Established in 1995, the Rose Quarter is a 30-acre sports and entertainment district located on the east bank of the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon. The region is highlighted by two multi-purpose arenas, the 19,393-seat Moda Center and 12,888-seat Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Together, the venues serve as homes to the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers, WHL’s Portland Winterhawks and AFL’s Portland Steel, in addition to a wide variety of concerts, family shows and other events. Founded in 1970 and purchased by Paul G. Allen in 1988, the Trail Blazers are the foremost resident of the Moda Center after winning the 1977 NBA Championship at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Widely known for its innovative approaches to sustainability and environmental practices, the Moda Center earned LEED Gold Recertification in 2015 after becoming the first existing professional sports venue in the world to receive LEED Gold status in 2010. The Rose Quarter also includes a large commons area, annex office building, four parking garages, signature restaurant and bar Dr. Jack’s, and easy access to the city’s robust public transportation system. For more information and a list of upcoming events, visit rosequarter.com.

ESPN Events
ESPN Events, a division of ESPN, owns and operates a large portfolio of collegiate sporting events worldwide. The roster includes three Labor Day weekend college football games; FCS opening-weekend game; 14 college bowl games, 11 college basketball events and two college award shows, which accounts for approximately 300-plus hours of programming, reaches almost 64 million viewers and attracts over 700,000 attendees each year. With satellite offices in Albuquerque, Birmingham, Boca Raton, Boise, Dallas-Fort Worth, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Montgomery and St. Petersburg, ESPN Events builds relationships with conferences, schools and local communities, as well as providing unique experiences for teams and fans.

For more information, visit the official website, Facebook, Twitter or YouTube pages.

CDC84
05-31-2017, 09:16 AM
I know some folks are calling this the greatest preseason tournament of all time, but there have been some absolutely awesome Maui fields (like the 2005 one) that featured multiple top 10 teams and only one dud. Some of these teams.....yeah, they are big names, but are they going to be any good? Arkansas? Oklahoma? G'Town? Etc.

What makes it special is that if you have enough money, I suppose you can see any game you want at each venue.

kitzbuel
05-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Gozags has the bracket as well:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/053117aaa.html

kitzbuel
05-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Looks like they wanted to have two PNW schools in each bracket and didn't want the two Portland schools in the same bracket. Too bad, would have liked a shot at Oregon.

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 09:33 AM
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/PK801.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/PK801.png.html)

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 09:42 AM
Ohio State returns their entire team (record was 17-15 last year)-- 90 RPI.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 09:48 AM
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/PK802.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/PK802.png.html)

Snagglezag
05-31-2017, 09:48 AM
Ohio State returns their entire team (record was 17-15 last year)-- 90 RPI.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

That's not accurate. Something's amiss in Columbus:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/05/whats_the_impact_of_more_playe.html

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Good find-- they have lost their #3 #4 scorers and another that did not play unless the game was in hand.

Starting center/leading rebounder (Thompson) and also their top 3 pt shooter (Lyle).

ZagsObserver
05-31-2017, 10:11 AM
The buckeyes are a mess. I expect Matta to be out at the end of the year.

Zagdawg
05-31-2017, 10:19 AM
It also sounds like Kentucky backed out of the event-- so they put in Arkansas in their place.

GoZags
05-31-2017, 10:23 AM
2nd game of Session 4 ... last game of the day.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 10:30 AM

How's the trout fishing in Columbus? A coach with Mark's credentials could command $5 million in this market.

Not trying to stir anything up...

Kiddwell
05-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Games move back & forth from venues (i.e. winners at Memorial Coliseum move over to play their next games at Moda; Moda winners move over to Memorial Coliseum). Championship and Runner-Up Games are all in the Moda.

Though Ohio State hasn't excelled lately, they still recruit high-quality talent. Kiddwell's a little worried.

http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/194/class/2017

:]

<You can select other years on that link to see Ohio State's earlier recruiting classes.>

jazzdelmar
05-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Promoters dreaming of Ducks-Heels and Dook-Zags. Blue bloods vs West's best.

thebigsmoove
05-31-2017, 12:02 PM
It also sounds like Kentucky backed out of the event-- so they put in Arkansas in their place.

The tourney with Kentucky would have been up there with the best fields ever, now? not so sure.

Bogozags
05-31-2017, 12:14 PM

I talk to his father at the golf course weekly and he explained some of the recruiting issues...seems some of the recruits are wanting some extras and Coach Matta is a man of integrity...he still has a strong support group at OSU so I would guess it's unlikely he is under that kind of pressure at this time anyway...

maynard g krebs
05-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Promoters dreaming of Ducks-Heels and Dook-Zags. Blue bloods vs West's best.

Ducks are gonna struggle early, as Altman's teams usually do. Moreso this yr w/ Pritchard the only significant holdover. They'll be good by March again but struggle in the "17 portion of the season.

MDABE80
05-31-2017, 12:25 PM
I ya wanna fish, go to Minnesnowta or Wisconsin.

ZagsObserver
05-31-2017, 12:25 PM
I talk to his father at the golf course weekly and he explained some of the recruiting issues...seems some of the recruits are wanting some extras and Coach Matta is a man of integrity...he still has a strong support group at OSU so I would guess it's unlikely he is under that kind of pressure at this time anyway...

Ya, unfortunately some young athletes feel entitled, and there are certain coaches who act as enablers.

You know more than I do on this topic. I was talking to a buckeye football booster (not one of the big fish) and he was saying matta got a vote of confidence, but that was before the latest departure.

seacatfan
05-31-2017, 04:43 PM
The tourney with Kentucky would have been up there with the best fields ever, now? not so sure.

No Kentucky, no Kansas. I understand Knight has ties to Oregon and Stanford, but having neither Arizona or UCLA from the Pac 12 is suspect. It's a really good tournament, but falls short of including all of the best programs.

seacatfan
05-31-2017, 04:46 PM
How's the trout fishing in Columbus? A coach with Mark's credentials could command $5 million in this market.

Not trying to stir anything up...

I'm pretty sure nonexistent in the entire state of Ohio (unless a few have been planted somewhere). One of my nephews is fishing crazy. They live outside of Dayton, OH. He is desperate to catch a trout, but is living in the wrong part of the country. Gotta come out west for that.

ZagzKrak
05-31-2017, 05:02 PM
3 of 4 teams from the final 4....Duke will be preseason number 1, Mich. St. should be good, Texas got that really high ranked Freshman coming in, seems like a pretty darn good group of teams to me.

ConnZag3
05-31-2017, 05:28 PM
No Kentucky, no Kansas. I understand Knight has ties to Oregon and Stanford, but having neither Arizona or UCLA from the Pac 12 is suspect. It's a really good tournament, but falls short of including all of the best programs.

Kansas is an Adidas school and UCLA is transitioning to UA so they couldn't be included in a celebration of Nike-sponsored schools. Agree that no Arizona is disappointing but gotta think Phil got to pick the Pac 12 teams. I'm more disappointed no Villanova instead of a Georgetown team that's been awful for a decade almost now.

UberZagFan
05-31-2017, 07:16 PM
So it looks like tickets to Session 4 and 7 will cover Zags' games for sure but then will not know what session for Sunday until after the game Friday. I checked out the web page for the event and it is horrid and confusing. The bracket makes things a bit easier to decipher. It looks like Sundays' games are all individual games, ticket-wise.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Though understandable from a p.r. perspective, the inclusion of Portland and PS lends an exhibition air to the event. Like having two Chamindaes in Maui. Think about Arizona and Nova instead. That's a show, there's your show.

DixieZag
06-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Though understandable from a p.r. perspective, the inclusion of Portland and PS lends an exhibition air to the event. Like having two Chamindaes in Maui. Think about Arizona and Nova instead. That's a show, there's your show.

Yeah, kinda.

But, with the inclusion of Oregon, it seems a little elitist to not have the other D-1 local teams. Though you're undoubtedly right (I'm not sure I'd go so far as say "exhibition"), it's kind of refreshing (to me) to see them willing to make some sacrifice on the national level and tv, to include those local teams, just to make a statement - "this is about Oregon, too, not just a national event."

Dunno, maybe I'm naive and pie in the sky about it - actually, for sure I am - but I find it slightly refreshing that he'd bring in the locals just to let them know he's aware of their presence.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Yeah, kinda.

But, with the inclusion of Oregon, it seems a little elitist to not have the other D-1 local teams. Though you're undoubtedly right (I'm not sure I'd go so far as say "exhibition"), it's kind of refreshing (to me) to see them willing to make some sacrifice on the national level and tv, to include those local teams, just to make a statement - "this is about Oregon, too, not just a national event."

Dunno, maybe I'm naive and pie in the sky about it - actually, for sure I am - but I find it slightly refreshing that he'd bring in the locals just to let them know he's aware of their presence.

I am sure uncle Phil and Nike do nothing without a self serving financial or political reason. Nothing refreshing about that.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-01-2017, 07:17 AM

I agree re: the bolded, but I don't think we'd notice if Kentucky had been able to make the event. Without them, the list of Portland, PSU, Stanford and Georgetown is pretty weak. I could dig the inclusion of the Portland schools if the weak programs I just mentioned were replaced by good programs.

bartruff1
06-01-2017, 07:24 AM
Guessing people's motives is risky business.... and influenced by your projections on life.....I'm with Dix..... can't imagine that at his age and wealth....that inviting the local teams is simply a gracious and considerate choice....good for him...

willandi
06-01-2017, 07:34 AM
I ya wanna fish, go to Minnesnowta or Wisconsin.

Covfefe!

amaronizag
06-01-2017, 07:43 AM
UberZag, you said you thought individual Sunday game tickets could be purchased. Not sure about that. But for Thursday and Saturday games, I think you have to buy tickets for 2 game sessions. For example, I have tickets for all the games, but I have to pick which gym I want for each two game session. I can't go to a game in one gym in the morning session, then go to the other gym to watch the second game in the morning session. I have to choose a session to attend so my tickets to the other session I can't attend are wasted unless I sell them. Since the brackets hadn't been announced when tickets went on sale, all session tickets were the only way to get good seats.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Guessing people's motives is risky business.... and influenced by your projections on life.....I'm with Dix..... can't imagine that at his age and wealth....that inviting the local teams is simply a gracious and considerate choice....good for him...

I agree with w two of your 3 statements.

DixieZag
06-01-2017, 11:03 AM
I am sure uncle Phil and Nike do nothing without a self serving financial or political reason. Nothing refreshing about that.

Well, you finding the most cynical and me finding the most apologetic might be par for the course. :)

I am less concerned about any exhibition feel than I am somewhat moved by just seeing the willingness to put the local kids in. In my mind, the money side would come from TV rights and wanting the top top program at the expense of the local guys. So, their inclusion at least doesn't bother me at all.

As comparrison, inclusion of Chaminade each year does bother me b/c they're not even D-1 and that is somewhat offensive. Why not have the Univ of Hawaii be the local Rep if needing to find one? Yes, I realize U-H Manoa isn't on Maui, but close enough.

maynard g krebs
06-01-2017, 11:26 AM
As comparrison, inclusion of Chaminade each year does bother me b/c they're not even D-1 and that is somewhat offensive. Why not have the Univ of Hawaii be the local Rep if needing to find one?

After the epic upset of Ralph Sampson and #1 Virginia in 82 or 3?, the Chaminade AD founded the Maui invitational at the suggestion of Virginia coach Terry Holland. If U of H had been the founders of the tourney, they'd be in it instead of Chaminade.

TexasZagFan
06-01-2017, 12:41 PM
I agree with w two of your 3 statements.

I counted six statements/assertions...:lmao:

gu03alum
06-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Well, you finding the most cynical and me finding the most apologetic might be par for the course. :)

I am less concerned about any exhibition feel than I am somewhat moved by just seeing the willingness to put the local kids in. In my mind, the money side would come from TV rights and wanting the top top program at the expense of the local guys. So, their inclusion at least doesn't bother me at all.

As comparrison, inclusion of Chaminade each year does bother me b/c they're not even D-1 and that is somewhat offensive. Why not have the Univ of Hawaii be the local Rep if needing to find one? Yes, I realize U-H Manoa isn't on Maui, but close enough.

For the amount of cash it cost to buy tickets to this thing I would rather have better schools in the tournament.

gon2mt
06-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Back to Ohio State, may be off topic at this point in the thread. Thought it was interesting one of the new recruits was 6 ft 9 in and 316!

DixieZag
06-01-2017, 01:33 PM
For the amount of cash it cost to buy tickets to this thing I would rather have better schools in the tournament.

There's room for both sides of the argument.

MDABE80
06-01-2017, 01:34 PM
It's probably just my bias in life, but I
'm thinking there are better ways/more appropriate ways to celebrate 80 years on this earth. Seems like it's a huge money deal. After all, this man didn't cure cancer or heart disease. He got rich on shoes. Honestly I'd be in church thanking God I made 80! lol....Or find something else to do with my money.
Grateful for the chance to see all the basketball though. I don't need a bunch of criticism for my view on this.

DixieZag
06-01-2017, 01:34 PM
After the epic upset of Ralph Sampson and #1 Virginia in 82 or 3?, the Chaminade AD founded the Maui invitational at the suggestion of Virginia coach Terry Holland. If U of H had been the founders of the tourney, they'd be in it instead of Chaminade.

That was how many centuries ago? :)

You know I love you. But, for every defeat of Sampson, there's a worthless 50 pt drubbing, actually there's 20 different 40 pt drubbings. But, yes, you are correct, 3o years ago.

maynard g krebs
06-01-2017, 01:58 PM
That was how many centuries ago? :)

You know I love you. But, for every defeat of Sampson, there's a worthless 50 pt drubbing, actually there's 20 different 40 pt drubbings. But, yes, you are correct, 3o years ago.

True, but they've also, w/o looking it up, won something like 7 games, and I'm sure had a number of close ones. There's also the local interest factor.

But the salient point is this: It is their tournament, and you said it's "offensive" that they are allowed to play in their own tourney. They started the thing, way back when, by inviting 7 big name schools to their place, and thus creating the event. They created it. It is their property, for as long as the big time schools keep accepting THEIR invitation. There are plenty of other holiday tourneys schools can go to, if they don't want to risk playing one lower level game. But they keep going to Chaminade's event, which no one can take away from them.

Alaska Anchorage still hosts the Great Ak shootout, which has faded to oblivion due to the proliferation of such events. Nobody of consequence goes there any more, but it used to be great. Maui would die a similar death if the big timers chose not to go to Chaminade, which is their option.

bartruff1
06-01-2017, 02:06 PM
There's room for both sides of the argument.

Dixie , unlike you and I , they were probably picked first on the "Captains choose up sides " games we played as youngsters....you know if you were picked last or not at all, you tend to appreciate the value of inclusion....;)

bartruff1
06-01-2017, 02:15 PM
It's probably just my bias in life, but I
'm thinking there are better ways/more appropriate ways to celebrate 80 years on this earth. Seems like it's a huge money deal. After all, this man didn't cure cancer or heart disease. He got rich on shoes. Honestly I'd be in church thanking God I made 80! lol....Or find something else to do with my money.
Grateful for the chance to see all the basketball though. I don't need a bunch of criticism for my view on this.

When I turn 80, I am going to buy a whore house in Havana and spend my time in the Sun near the Ocean and take advantage of free healthcare..and drive the old cars.....Muy Bueno...

sittingon50
06-01-2017, 03:05 PM
When I turn 80, I am going to buy a whore house in Havana and spend my time in the Sun near the Ocean and take advantage of free healthcare..and drive the old cars.....Muy Bueno...

:roll:

So bart, that's just around the corner isn't it?

bartruff1
06-01-2017, 05:31 PM
:roll:

So bart, that's just around the corner isn't it?

I have already signed with a agent....

ZagzKrak
06-01-2017, 05:31 PM
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2016/10/26/sports/sports-breaking/chaminade-out-of-maui-invitational-in-2018-beyond/

Looks like changes coming to the Maui Inv. in 2018

Vman7
06-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Why no Arizona or UCLA?

The NCAA dictates that preseason tournaments will have no more than two schools from any one conference. Since Knight got his undergrad degree from Oregon, and his graduate degree from Stanford.....Ducks and Cardinal it is. It's as simple as that.

seacatfan
06-01-2017, 05:45 PM
So if this all feel good sentiments about local, Oregon schools being invited...there is one conspicuously missing. 4 D1 bball programs in the state, 3 of them get to participate in this tournament, one doesn't. Even though that one school was really down last year, there's a fairly good chance they will be better than both UP and PSU next season.

Is it some kind of weird coincidence that the two Portland schools are matched up w/ the two ACC schools in the first round?

Vman7
06-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Seacatfan,

NCAA says only two teams per conference. That means no Beavs.

ConnZag3
06-01-2017, 06:00 PM
So if this all feel good sentiments about local, Oregon schools being invited...there is one conspicuously missing. 4 D1 bball programs in the state, 3 of them get to participate in this tournament, one doesn't. Even though that one school was really down last year, there's a fairly good chance they will be better than both UP and PSU next season.

Is it some kind of weird coincidence that the two Portland schools are matched up w/ the two ACC schools in the first round?

Simple as seeding. Probably seeded UNC and Duke as 1s and Portland and PSU as 8s so that's your draw. Gonzaga appears to be the 2 seed in their bracket.

DixieZag
06-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Dixie , unlike you and I , they were probably picked first on the "Captains choose up sides " games we played as youngsters....you know if you were picked last or not at all, you tend to appreciate the value of inclusion....;)

Depends on which sport.

But, yes, with respect to most, you are right.

Though there were a couple ....

gu03alum
06-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Depends on which sport.

But, yes, with respect to most, you are right.

Though there were a couple ....

Dungeons and Dragons isn't a sport. ;)

seacatfan
06-01-2017, 09:09 PM
I get that it's only 2 teams per conference. Basically it boils down to Phil invited who he wanted to invite. It's a lot of good teams, a few not so good. Some that aren't as good as they used to be.

jazzdelmar
06-02-2017, 06:02 AM
I get that it's only 2 teams per conference. Basically it boils down to Phil invited who he wanted to invite. It's a lot of good teams, a few not so good. Some that aren't as good as they used to be.

You actually think Phil sat down and picked these teams while stroking his pornstar beard? Hardly. The purpose, the only purpose is to sell god ugly SHOES and GEAR.

Zagdawg
06-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Actually I though he set up the event to give some negative nellies something to complain about in the off season.

Makes you wonder sometimes.

Booster
06-03-2017, 07:54 AM
The reason for Oregon and Stanford were noted above. Portland State is in because Phil taught accounting there at the same time we was starting NIKE. Portland is in because of the local connection. Georgetown is in because John Thompson Sr has been on NIKE's board of directors for the past couple of decades and a long time friend of Phil's. There are similar stories behind each team. Zags are in, of course, because the NIKE folks love everything about GU.

DixieZag
06-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Dungeons and Dragons isn't a sport. ;)

And I couldn't have even spelled that when I played. I wouldn't have been able to tell you if that was a video game, board game or weird card game.

At this point, I've heard enough about the whole scene, but sure wouldn't have known it then. So, I ask you, is it fun and cool? :)

DixieZag
06-03-2017, 08:00 AM
The reason for Oregon and Stanford were noted above. Portland State is in because Phil taught accounting there at the same time we was starting NIKE. Portland is in because of the local connection. Georgetown is in because John Thompson Sr has been on NIKE's board of directors for the past couple of decades and a long time friend of Phil's. There are similar stories behind each team. Zags are in, of course, because the NIKE folks love everything about GU.

Great comment.

75Zag
06-03-2017, 06:31 PM
I did not read every comment, but the structure of PK80 was dictated by NCAA rules. For example, they can't have an overall champion between the two divisions because potentially that would involve one P12 school playing another P12 school in a non-conference game and prior to the NCAAs and that is not permitted.
A REALLY annoying thing is that NCAA rules preclude ticket holders from leaving and returning to the venue. So, even though I have all-session tickets to both brackets of the PK80 event, if I start watching the Rose Garden (aka MODA) game but get bored and want to wander over to watch the Portland Coliseum game, I can't return to the MODA game if I decide that the MODA game was better. I guess the "no re-entry rule" is intended to protect our virginal college students from going out and having a few beers and then returning to watch the arena, but in the context of a tournament like this the no re-entry rule is bizarre.
Will be fun to see so much talent in Portland.

Go Bulldogs!

KStyles
06-03-2017, 10:34 PM
I did not read every comment, but the structure of PK80 was dictated by NCAA rules. For example, they can't have an overall champion between the two divisions because potentially that would involve one P12 school playing another P12 school in a non-conference game and prior to the NCAAs and that is not permitted.
A REALLY annoying thing is that NCAA rules preclude ticket holders from leaving and returning to the venue. So, even though I have all-session tickets to both brackets of the PK80 event, if I start watching the Rose Garden (aka MODA) game but get bored and want to wander over to watch the Portland Coliseum game, I can't return to the MODA game if I decide that the MODA game was better. I guess the "no re-entry rule" is intended to protect our virginal college students from going out and having a few beers and then returning to watch the arena, but in the context of a tournament like this the no re-entry rule is bizarre.
Will be fun to see so much talent in Portland.

Go Bulldogs!

I don't believe that is an NCAA rule (for non-NCAA sponsored events). Montana football allows exit & re-entry; a good amount of fans exit Washington-Grizzly Stadium to continue tailgating at halftime and they're an NCAA school.

509er
06-04-2017, 09:11 AM
I don't believe that is an NCAA rule (for non-NCAA sponsored events). Montana football allows exit & re-entry; a good amount of fans exit Washington-Grizzly Stadium to continue tailgating at halftime and they're an NCAA school.

I'd guess they are trying to prevent fans from reselling their tickets to scalpers once they've seen their team.

MDABE80
06-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Or giving them to someone else. In the olden days, I ran some dances in the old COG. Med school tuition required it. Surely on a smaller scale but the biggest problem was people going out and passing tickets to their friends who would then return without paying. It's hard to control for that. Maybe that's an issue in this PK80. Same thing happened when I had some large concerts while I was in Med School. Honest Abe productions!

Nowadays with the terrorism threat, it's good to know who's got the tickets and belongs in the venue.

amaronizag
06-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Selling tickets for a "session" with no exit and return is pretty common. They do that at the Spokane Arena as well. What I find really annoying, is that everybody has to leave after a session ends, then re-enter for the next session. I guess the reason is that an all session ticket isn't just one ticket, but individual tickets for every session. Many people prefer NOT to buy tickets to every game, but are just interested in watching their home team play. That allows ticket sellers to sell a seat for one session only, then sell the same seat for the next session to someone else.

Hoopaholic
06-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Or giving them to someone else. In the olden days, I ran some dances in the old COG. Med school tuition required it. Surely on a smaller scale but the biggest problem was people going out and passing tickets to their friends who would then return without paying. It's hard to control for that. Maybe that's an issue in this PK80. Same thing happened when I had some large concerts while I was in Med School. Honest Abe productions!

Nowadays with the terrorism threat, it's good to know who's got the tickets and belongs in the venue.

Thus the hand stamp with presentation of ticket

Or wrist band that is destroyed if you take it off you

Or ticket enroll with photo I'd attached

Lots of ways to handle it for a unique event such as pk8o

Hoopaholic
06-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Selling tickets for a "session" with no exit and return is pretty common. They do that at the Spokane Arena as well. What I find really annoying, is that everybody has to leave after a session ends, then re-enter for the next session. I guess the reason is that an all session ticket isn't just one ticket, but individual tickets for every session. Many people prefer NOT to buy tickets to every game, but are just interested in watching their home team play. That allows ticket sellers to sell a seat for one session only, then sell the same seat for the next session to someone else.

Yes but that is single site

Pk80 is a unique venture with side by side events occurring same time so for ticket maximization one would have thought of back and forth action by a fan intrigued by big name teams

amaronizag
06-04-2017, 01:53 PM
I totally agree with you Hoop. Back and forth privileges should have been allowed for the all session pass holders who have guaranteed seats. Without that, all session ticket holders can sell/scalp tickets for their unused simultaneous sessions. That results in fewer tickets sold and less income for the event. I don't see the logic either.

DixieZag
06-04-2017, 03:50 PM
True, but they've also, w/o looking it up, won something like 7 games, and I'm sure had a number of close ones. There's also the local interest factor.

But the salient point is this: It is their tournament, and you said it's "offensive" that they are allowed to play in their own tourney. They started the thing, way back when, by inviting 7 big name schools to their place, and thus creating the event. They created it. It is their property, for as long as the big time schools keep accepting THEIR invitation. There are plenty of other holiday tourneys schools can go to, if they don't want to risk playing one lower level game. But they keep going to Chaminade's event, which no one can take away from them.

Alaska Anchorage still hosts the Great Ak shootout, which has faded to oblivion due to the proliferation of such events. Nobody of consequence goes there any more, but it used to be great. Maui would die a similar death if the big timers chose not to go to Chaminade, which is their option.

Oh.

I didn't know the tourney belonged to Chaminade themselves. I thought the Maui chamber or something ran it. Thx for correcting me. Yes, they should play in their own tournament.

Markburn1
06-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Oh.

I didn't know the tourney belonged to Chaminade themselves. I thought the Maui chamber or something ran it. Thx for correcting me. Yes, they should play in their own tournament.

I believe Chaminade has decided to play every other year from now on. Still their tourney.

gu03alum
06-04-2017, 07:06 PM
I totally agree with you Hoop. Back and forth privileges should have been allowed for the all session pass holders who have guaranteed seats. Without that, all session ticket holders can sell/scalp tickets for their unused simultaneous sessions. That results in fewer tickets sold and less income for the event. I don't see the logic either.

I bought all session passes and am pretty stressed out on being able to sell the tickets to the games I can't physically watch.

Zagdawg
06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 2h2 hours ago
Zags will get fourth game, expected to be guarantee-type contest at MAC, as part of PK80 (three in Portland). Opponent to be determined.

Zagdawg
06-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Our PK80 first round opponent making news.

Inside The Kennel‏
@InsideTheKennel
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Inside The Kennel
Thad is out effective immediately at Ohio State per OSU release.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19550448/thad-matta-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-13-seasons

amaronizag
06-07-2017, 07:33 AM
The PK80 single session tickets go on sale this morning at 10am.

75Zag
06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
The PK80 single session tickets go on sale this morning at 10am.

Ticketmaster presale password is MAJOR. Presale ends tonight @ 10 pm.

allbusiness_zag
06-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Got my tickets for Friday's game. Playing Sunday by ear.

https://media.tenor.com/images/188a858657404a4df44a0f379f45909e/tenor.gif

ConnZag3
09-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Zags vs. Buckeyes at 9 pm on Thanksgiving for the open of PK80...

http://pkinvitational.com/brackets

strikenowhere
09-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Zags vs. Buckeyes at 9 pm on Thanksgiving for the open of PK80...

http://pkinvitational.com/brackets

Let's see - a cross-country flight for an east coast(ish) team that would be at 12 a.m. EST? I'd definitely place my monopoly money on the Zags in that game.

ZagnetitForce
09-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Can't get tickets through GU any longer even as a Season Ticket holder. Single session are GA and upper sections end of court. I guess I waited to long to see if might be able to attend. Disappointing.

kitzbuel
09-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Let's see - a cross-country flight for an east coast(ish) team that would be at 12 a.m. EST? I'd definitely place my monopoly money on the Zags in that game.

Ohio St is as about as East Coast as Oklahoma St is West Coast, but I get your point.

Zagdawg
09-07-2017, 01:01 PM
ZagNation Rally Events at PK80

PK80 Logo
ZagNation Unite in Portland!
Alumni, families, and friends gather before the GU men's basketball games to celebrate and prepare to cheer on the team!

Friday, November 24 & Sunday, November 26
Events start 2 hours before game
Game time TBD
Left Bank Annex
101 N Weidler St
Portland, OR 97227
map

$20 per person (includes game time bites and 1 drink ticket)
$10 for children under 12

Note: Prices are on a per event basis and do not include a game ticket.
PK80 game tickets can be purchased at www.pkinvitational.com/tickets or
by calling (503) 797-9680

More event information will be available at a later date

http://www.zagsonline.org/s/829/index.aspx?sid=829&gid=1&pgid=5131&cid=9565&ecid=9565&crid=0&calpgid=475&calcid=1404

Birddog
09-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Can't get tickets through GU any longer even as a Season Ticket holder. Single session are GA and upper sections end of court. I guess I waited to long to see if might be able to attend. Disappointing.

You can probably get tickets and a haircut combined.

ZagnetitForce
09-08-2017, 08:57 AM
You can probably get tickets and a haircut combined.

How did you know I need a haircut or are you secretly telling me that Weldons has tickets available?