• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylasdad
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Memphis says...

here is an interesting thread from the memphis board:

my favorite is the question Dan O asked about if Memphis could have done what GU did tonight if they were in our situation:

"Outmanned but a great effort. Just think if Joey was inelgible, Cooper fouled out, and Dozier sprained his ankle.

Could we have won? No slam against anybody, just a question."
    Last edited by kylasdad; 02-17-2007, 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
  • sanfranzagsguy20
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

thats awesome...looking at that thread and their board as a whole these guys really know their basketball...extremely knowledgable and inteligent fan base...i have great respect for their program and their fans...good to know we'll see them for at least another 2 years

Comment

• FuManShoes
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Wow, those are some incredibly classy posts by the Tiger fans. Hats off to them.
      “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• oldtiger
        • Feb 2007

You guys are sure welcome to post/comment over there.

We like our series with the Zags and hope it continues. We fully understand that you have a quality BB program.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

• surfmonkey89
          Not Roy Orbison
          • Feb 2007

The sad thing is that those guys have more class than many people on our own board.

Comment

• GUgirl
            Redshirt
            • Feb 2007

They sure do; it was great to read their posts. What a classy fan base.
            Remember when it rained.

Comment

• MedZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Reminds me a lot of the Gonzaga program. Great people, what a game. It hurts to lose but this one I'm not upset about. That says a lot about their fan base!
              Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
              You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• Derby
                Redshirt
                • Feb 2007

Memphis and Gonzaga have a lot in common. Big fish in a small pond. The WCC is not a name recognized as a power conference, and C-USA is no longer recognized as one. It's up to each of our great institutions to show the college basketball world that whether our respective conferences are considered good or bad, our 2 teams and universities are great and should be respected as such.

Memphis loves the Tigers, just as Spokane loves the Bulldogs. Both schools have a deep and rich basketball tradition. Both schools don't get nearly as much national respect as they 1) want, and 2) deserve.

Memphis wishes nothing but the best for Gonzaga. We respect you. We know what it is like to have injuries and suspended players. We see our team fight hard with heart and hustle, just as surely as you see your gallant team.

Feel free to join us in discussing college basketball on our message board too.

Take heart Zags. Your team deserves a bid to the big dance. Personally, I hope you win the WCC Tournament and do some damage in the NCAA's. Regardless of what some numb-skulled national media pundits say, you still have a good shot at an at-large berth too.

Go Tigers Go...!!!
                Go Gonzaga...!!! Now go beat the snot out of Portland, USF, and USD, seal the WCC deal, then go win the tournament title too...!!!

MemphisTigers.org
                MemphisTigers.org

Comment

• gamagin
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

thanks for the link.

Heartwarming reading. And it tracks with the way I felt yesterday about how well our lads played.
                  Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                  Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                  Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• daddyodewy
                    Redshirt
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Derby View Post
                    Memphis and Gonzaga have a lot in common. Big fish in a small pond. The WCC is not a name recognized as a power conference, and C-USA is no longer recognized as one. It's up to each of our great institutions to show the college basketball world that whether our respective conferences are considered good or bad, our 2 teams and universities are great and should be respected as such.

Memphis loves the Tigers, just as Spokane loves the Bulldogs. Both schools have a deep and rich basketball tradition. Both schools don't get nearly as much national respect as they 1) want, and 2) deserve.

Memphis wishes nothing but the best for Gonzaga. We respect you. We know what it is like to have injuries and suspended players. We see our team fight hard with heart and hustle, just as surely as you see your gallant team.

Feel free to join us in discussing college basketball on our message board too.

Take heart Zags. Your team deserves a bid to the big dance. Personally, I hope you win the WCC Tournament and do some damage in the NCAA's. Regardless of what some numb-skulled national media pundits say, you still have a good shot at an at-large berth too.

Go Tigers Go...!!!
                    Go Gonzaga...!!! Now go beat the snot out of Portland, USF, and USD, seal the WCC deal, then go win the tournament title too...!!!

MemphisTigers.org

This TIGER fan cannot add one thing to what Derby posted. He summed it up PERFECTLY
                    Best of luck to the Zags the rest of the year and we look forward to you coming to our place next year. We only lose Jeremy Hunt and Clyde Wade [ who rarely gets in ] and add 3 outsatnding players including Derrick Rose. You guys will be one year more experienced. Barring injuries or "incidents", it ought to be another great game.

Comment

• umbluegray
                      • Feb 2007

Another Tiger fan here wanting to say great game.

Gonzaga played with so much heart and intensity I count it fortunate for the Tigers to escape with a win.

I have no doubt the Bulldogs will continue their streak of consecutive NCAA tourneys made. Who knows, we just might meet up again -- in the Final Four, of course.

And what a privilege it was to see one NBA legend (Stockton) cheering on a future NBA legend (Raivio).

Guard U is an understatement.

We look forward to your visit to Memphis next year.

Oh, and Cal mentioned in his postgame show that talks are underway about continuing the series!

Comment

• Oregon Zag
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Memphis Tigers forum

The posts on the Memphis Tigers forum were outstanding. Those are some classy folks. I look forward to playing Memphis in the coming years. They also had great things to say about Gonzaga fans...

"After thinking about it, here's what the Gonzaga fans made me realize.

First- that's how college basketball should be. Loud, hard fought, knowledgeable. All you can ask out of men that age is that they play their hardest at all times. Gonzaga did that and their fans appreciated the effort.

Second- This is exactly what CUSA is missing. Name another bball program like that, aside from ours. Some have the ###ential, yes. And when we show up at Tulsa or UCF or probably UTEP, the crowds will be as enthused. Cincinnati had it. Louisville did, too. Gonzaga does that every single game. They care. We need that in this conference and right now we don't have it. To me, that is by far the most frustrating thing about CUSA right now."

I'm not sure about the correct way to post comments from someone else. Hope this is okay.
                        Oregon Zag

Comment

• sanfranzagsguy20
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

dont worry nobody is getting graded here...i see memphis similar to gonzaga in terms of playing in a weak conference and getting everyone's best shot each night in conference play...but the tigers are clearly better than the zags and i couldnt see them losing more than a game or two if they played in the wcc....but no i'm comparing apples and oranges here and oh no i've gone cross eyed

Comment

• GoZags22
                            Redshirt
                            • Feb 2007

Even Prouder

After the game, I was real proud of the effort, character, and passion of our boys.
                            After reading a third-party account from Memphis fans on thier board, and hearing them rave about those same attributes...it just makes me even prouder. Now I know it wasn't just my bias that left me feeling great about the Zags. But instead, the whole country saw exactly what I saw.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Thanks for stopping by to post, Tiger fans. It's nice to be reminded of what a great program we have here. Best of luck to you (unless we meet in the tourney).

Comment

Working...
                              X