PDA

View Full Version : FOX: Post Draft Declares Top 25

MDABE80
05-25-2017, 10:24 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/gallery/college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-for-2018-nba-draft-deadline-decisions-052517

MDABE80
05-25-2017, 10:28 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/post-draft-deadline-look-college-basketballs-2017-18-preseason-top-25-163900058.html

seacatfan
05-25-2017, 10:34 PM
I kinda wish Arizona wasn't getting projected #1 in all of these. Don't like that big target. Oh well.

I don't doubt Kansas will win the Big 12 again, because they always do, but they look overrated to me. Duke too, and probably Kentucky. But it's probably some kind of federal law that all 3 have to be ranked in the preseason top 10 every year.

Fox has USC really high, that's pretty bold. I think they'll be good, but probably not that good.

I think Gonzaga is getting underrated, but they'll have their chances early in the season to prove how good they are.

MDABE80
05-25-2017, 11:52 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-kentucky-moves-up-to-no-5-in-the-top-25-and-one

CBS Post Declarations.

kitzbuel
05-26-2017, 03:37 AM
I kinda wish Arizona wasn't getting projected #1 in all of these. Don't like that big target. Oh well.

I don't doubt Kansas will win the Big 12 again, because they always do, but they look overrated to me. Duke too, and probably Kentucky. But it's probably some kind of federal law that all 3 have to be ranked in the preseason top 10 every year.

Fox has USC really high, that's pretty bold. I think they'll be good, but probably not that good.

I think Gonzaga is getting underrated, but they'll have their chances early in the season to prove how good they are.
It is interesting that some of the teams have the impact of incoming freshman included in their evaluation but no mention of Kispert for GU.

Larsen is still an unknown to most CBB analysts, he can significantly change the calculation. Norvell is not mentioned at all either.

There are still a Few rounds in the chamber.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
05-26-2017, 04:52 AM
It is interesting that some of the teams have the impact of incoming freshman included in their evaluation but no mention of Kispert for GU.

Larsen is still an unknown to most CBB analysts, he can significantly change the calculation. Norvell is not mentioned at all either.

Is there any player that will have the ceiling of Rui next year? Last year was but an appetizer. We all know the press attention he'd get if he was at an ESPN school.

Reborn
05-26-2017, 08:07 AM
I would prefer being ranked lower in the preseason polls. It gives us lots or room to move up. Watching the Zags move up in the polls, week by week, is really fun for me. We all know that if there is a team that knows what being underrated is all about, it's Gonzaga. And next years team is certainly underrated both in the polls and here on this forum. From what I can see, the "experts" really don't know how good Melson and Tillie are, and they certainly don't give JWIII and Perkins the respect they deserve. And most of all they don't seem to even know that Norvell exists. I'll take Tille and Melson any time before any McD All Americans. These two guys know Mark Few's systems quite well and will move into the starting line with ease. Melson has been waiting for a larger roll at Gonzaga for 3 years, and I'm sure he's going to take that on with Zag pride. Finally, it seems that they also don't have a clue how good Wade is. Oh well. What's new? I can hardly wait to see the 2017-'18 team in action.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
05-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Is there any player that will have the ceiling of Rui next year? Last year was but an appetizer. We all know the press attention he'd get if he was at an ESPN school.

THIS

The most consistently forgotten piece to our equation. Yeah, he lacked a lot of things last year, well - damn near everything. But, he has one thing that virtually nobody has and can't be taught, NBA level athleticism, capable of all kinds of disruption and havoc, both good and bad.

Yes, very high ceiling. I guess we forget because he came over lying prone on the floor.

Zags_Fanatic
05-26-2017, 08:18 AM

I would argue this the other way around. Gonzaga is definitely an ESPN school and I'm not sure there were any other players that averaged 2.6 pts and 1.4 boards that saw as much press as he did. I can remember at least 3 front page feature articles about a kid with incredible potential that basically only saw garbage time minutes. I would call that the Gonzaga bump if anything.

billyberu
05-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Rui will be the next Adam Morrison only with the elite athleticism needed to succeed at the next level.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ZagOD7540
05-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Rui will be the next Adam Morrison only with the elite athleticism needed to succeed at the next level.

WOW!...Pretty bold statement. Only time will tell.

Malastein
05-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Adam Morrison would've been a good NBA player if he hadn't blown out his knee.

TexasZagFan
05-26-2017, 11:13 AM

He was drafted by the wrong team, with the wrong system. He was never meant for the triangle and one, he would've flourished with a coach/system like Mike d'Antoni, or the Warriors, where movement without the ball is a key feature of their offense.

I saw him in his only game in Dallas. For about 10 minutes in the second half, I saw the old Ammo come to life. Scored about a dozen points, creating his shot, etc.

BayAreaZagFan
05-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Huh. Looks like 5 of the last 7 teams that the Zags played last year will be in the top 25 to start the year. And they say we never play anyone...

CDC84
05-26-2017, 12:38 PM

I 100% agree with this. It's why I hate all those articles where they list the biggest NBA draft busts of all time. To me you can't be a NBA bust if you're Adam or Greg Oden.....a player whose career who was totally destroyed by injury.

I guess you could say that Adam, even if he hadn't gotten hurt, was taken too early in the draft for what his contribution might have been as a healthy player, but for me, that still doesn't make him a bust.

Also, he got picked by an organization, Charlotte, that was an absolute mess when Adam got drafted. They not only sucked, but their coaching staff sucked as well. Adam deserved better. But that can be one of the problems with getting picked that high. You makes tons of bread, but you risk being a part of an organization that doesn't have a clue.

seacatfan
05-26-2017, 01:55 PM
I 100% agree with this. It's why I hate all those articles where they list the biggest NBA draft busts of all time. To me you can't be a NBA bust if you're Adam or Greg Oden.....a player whose career who was totally destroyed by injury.

I think you'd have to add Sam Bowie to your list of guys that get an exemption. Injuries derailed his career too. I'm sure he makes some "biggest busts" lists. 2 of those 3 were drafted by the Blazers. That's some crappy luck. Could've taken Michael Jordan and Kevin Durrant instead. Oops.

MickMick
05-26-2017, 02:22 PM

The three you mentioned will be the core of the team by year's end in my opinion. Especially from a scoring standpoint. Outside of JWIII, I believe they will be the best players on the team, but they need a little seasoning first.

maynard g krebs
05-26-2017, 02:43 PM
I think you'd have to add Sam Bowie to your list of guys that get an exemption. Injuries derailed his career too. I'm sure he makes some "biggest busts" lists. 2 of those 3 were drafted by the Blazers. That's some crappy luck. Could've taken Michael Jordan and Kevin Durrant instead. Oops.

I wouldn't call Bowie an "oops". Blazers at the time felt that they already had a comparable player to Jordan in Drexler, and justifiably so at the time. Jordan didn't develop the jumper that made him lethal until his mid-late 20's.

Bowie was a legit 7'1 or more and skilled enough to play v guys like Kareem or Walton in an era when centers were important. Hindsight's 20-20 but that wasnt a bad gamble imo.

seacatfan
05-26-2017, 03:34 PM
I was a big Blazers fan back then. I understand that since they already had Clyde (great player no doubt), Jordan seemed redundant. Of course it's hindsight, but Bowie already had a history of injuries and they got almost nothing out of him, and MJ went on to become the GOAT. It's understandable why they made the choice they did at the time, but history hasn't been kind to them.

But the fact they did the exact thing again, taking a previously injured big man who's long term health was questionable over a guy who seemed like a can't miss star waiting to happen. Well...harder to forgive a second time. And they had the same excuse of Durant being somewhat redundant since they already had Aldridge, but I don't buy that one. Can you imagine if they drafted Durant and if Roy had stayed healthy for longer? That could've been fun! Oh well.

ZagsGoZags
05-26-2017, 09:41 PM

Kispert was mentioned in the CBS write up as a notable newcomer.