PDA

View Full Version : Summer player news, tidbits, misc

Zagdawg
05-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Jesse L. Wade‏
@jessewade10

Just realized that I started my first class today at @GonzagaU...its official!! #ZagUp

Very proud father giving a shout out

Eric‏
@ejwade7

Eric Retweeted Jesse L. Wade
Woohoo! Officially a ZAG! #ZagFamily #GoZags

Zachs dad Mike giving Jesse and the Zags some props

Mike Collins‏
@TandZsdad

Replying to @jessewade10 @GonzagaGuru @GonzagaU
Enjoy Jesse. It's a special place. I know your dad is proud.

TheZagster
05-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Fours years in the making, the Jesse Wade era at Gonzaga is finally here. I'm hearing that he returned from his mission in good shape but has been killing his workouts with a member of the US Rugby team that trained him before his mission and he is already well ahead of schedule as far as getting his body back in shape and is looking great already AND shooting better now than he ever has. He's going to be a special player for the Zags. Don't let his color and size (only 6'2") fool you. He's legit.

TheZagster
05-22-2017, 08:28 PM
One other thing, I was at his speech he gave in his church when he returned home from his mission...he was an incredible kid when he left for France two years ago, and I couldn't believe how charismatic, sincere, and genuine he was when I heard him speak. Like Coach Few said in his post-game comments after the South Dakota game in the tourney, his leadership ability and integrity are off the charts. He will most definitely be a tremendous representative of the university everywhere he goes. Excited to see him play!

zag67
05-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Great to hear you are now a real zag. Hope you have a great summer

Markburn1
05-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Fours years in the making, the Jesse Wade era at Gonzaga is finally here. I'm hearing that he returned from his mission in good shape but has been killing his workouts with a member of the US Rugby team that trained him before his mission and he is already well ahead of schedule as far as getting his body back in shape and is looking great already AND shooting better now than he ever has. He's going to be a special player for the Zags. Don't let his color and size (only 6'2") fool you. He's legit.

His color???? are you kidding me?

sittingon50
05-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Yeah, what color is he? Hope it's something close to Zag blue.

:fingergun:

Malastein
05-22-2017, 09:34 PM
I'll bet him and Killian will speak on occasion in French.

Zags_Fanatic
05-22-2017, 09:38 PM

You can count on this, I was desperate to speak portuguese when I got back from an LDS mission. It's hard to switch that part of your brain off after 2 years of immersion.

hooter73
05-22-2017, 11:11 PM
Jesse was a zag a long time before he chose GU. The kid's character is just off the charts.

As for the eventual "two years off" convo that I'm sure will come up, personally I'm no where close to a college level athlete, never was, but I wasn't a schlub either. For seven years I shot around on a hoop at my job. Just screwing around really. Then two years ago I took another job and lost my hoop. I kept up the gym and running workouts, but didn't touch a ball again. A few weeks ago I was somewhere with a hoop and started messing around. Footwork, extension, instinct, shooting, ball handling... it was like I hadn't missed a beat. I'd say the time off issue while on a mission, especially for the level of these young athletes are at, can really be overblown.

slickguser
05-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Ever since I first read his name on this forum, I have been following Jesse. Since that time, it has been clear that Jesse is an amazing individual that is also a great teammate. After following the blog his family setup, for the last two years, I am so excited to finally get the chance to watch Jesse play for the Zags. We truly are lucky to have Jesse on the team.

I am very excited for this next season. The team will be ready to play and will open the eyes of many people around them.

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2017, 06:33 AM

Don't forget Joel.

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Color and size? Is he an oompa loompa?

thebigsmoove
05-23-2017, 06:56 AM

There is a contingent of folks out there that think being white and short precludes one from being an elite athlete, no matter how silly that may sound, it exists. I think what Zagster was insinuating is simply that Jessie is an elite athlete.

Mr Vulture
05-23-2017, 09:20 AM
I knew the second I read that comment from the poster that it would get overplayed on here..haha! In any case, I am so glad that Jesse is in class and can't wait to see him play this year for the Zags. On another point, he will have Tillie and Ayayi both he can talk French with...

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2017, 09:28 AM
I knew the second I read that comment from the poster that it would get overplayed on here..haha! In any case, I am so glad that Jesse is in class and can't wait to see him play this year for the Zags. On another point, he will have Tillie and Ayayi both he can talk French with...

Beat ya to it. :D

maynard g krebs
05-23-2017, 09:45 AM

Mormon mission is just a cover story. Truth is he's been hustling street ballers in South Central and at Venice Beach with Wesley Snipes the last two years. He'll be ready to go.

sittingon50
05-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Mormon mission is just a cover story. Truth is he's been hustling street ballers in South Central and at Venice Beach with Wesley Snipes the last two years. He'll be ready to go.

But can he dunk yet?

Zags_Fanatic
05-23-2017, 10:25 AM

An oldie but suddenly relevant again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv5W1eFVtSs

Zagdawg
05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Uncle Drew ......is that you?

bartruff1
05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Uncle Drew ......is that you?

One of my favorites.....:)

Mantua
05-23-2017, 10:06 PM
I'm excited about our multi-hued French-speaking contingent.

Welcome Jesse!

Bogozags
05-24-2017, 03:57 AM
You can count on this, I was desperate to speak portuguese when I got back from an LDS mission. It's hard to switch that part of your brain off after 2 years of immersion.

Obrigado! (?)

Zagdawg
05-29-2017, 09:45 AM
ejwade7
The list of things that are better than watching your two sons get shots up at the Kennel at Gonzaga University is a very short list. I love these two, wow. @jessewade10 @joshwade10

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUr1j6rDCuGIH06fnvYQkMPp_tYtoMB5a5N9UA0/

The ball retriever is very cool.

scrooner
05-29-2017, 10:00 AM
Are we getting in early with Josh??? :D

Zagdawg
05-29-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm going to say yes--- his proximity to the program will be a great inside track-- plus the Wades are all in.

MDABE80
05-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Jesse brings a new and different dimension to GU. Style of play will be different. At 6 ft 2 ( in shoes) he'll tall enough. Length is medium but his floor generalship, ball handling, passing and his LD shooting will be important components. Give him 1 year. He'll be eye popping. Basics are solid. I'm not sure about his speed. Someone??

roxdoc
05-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Pangoesque?

Coach Crazy
05-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Jesse brings a new and different dimension to GU. Style of play will be different. At 6 ft 2 ( in shoes) he'll tall enough. Length is medium but his floor generalship, ball handling, passing and his LD shooting will be important components. Give him 1 year. He'll be eye popping. Basics are solid. I'm not sure about his speed. Someone??

Not a track star, not slow by any means. As much as we have talked about him. He may very well end up being the culmination of the string of guards we have seen in Dickau/Stepp/Raivio/Pangos.

And if he's even 75% of what Pangos was as a freshman, it's a good thing we don't have a transfer PG coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagNative
05-29-2017, 01:02 PM
From Twitter: What's Josh Huestis of OKC doing in the MAC? Did he accompany Domas to town?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Screenshot%2020.png_zpsrsxpur0h.jpg

Edited to add: Wow. I found this article about Huestis from his time at Stanford. interesting stuff. He grew up in Great Falls and went to Stanford. Quite a guy!

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2014/02/23/josh-huestis-heroics-cmr-graduate-a-star-on-court-in-class-at-stanford/5751241/

Worthington
05-29-2017, 01:09 PM
His jump shot is absolutely beautiful. It remains to be seen how he will deal with the size and length of high-major college basketball (I believe he will be fine), but as a long distance shooter I think you would be hard pressed to name many better in all of college hoops.

hondo
05-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Nice find ZN, you are the best.

Hoopaholic
05-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Not a track star, not slow by any means. As much as we have talked about him. He may very well end up being the culmination of the string of guards we have seen in Dickau/Stepp/Raivio/Pangos.

And if he's even 75% of what Pangos was as a freshman, it's a good thing we don't have a transfer PG coming in.

This

I want him to get floor time as I see big things playing next to Perkins

Zagcity
05-29-2017, 05:31 PM
His jump shot is absolutely beautiful. It remains to be seen how he will deal with the size and length of high-major college basketball (I believe he will be fine), but as a long distance shooter I think you would be hard pressed to name many better in all of college hoops.

His step back three will open many opportunities, which will negate any height or quickness concerns some on the board still seem to have.

maynard g krebs
05-29-2017, 07:11 PM
His step back three will open many opportunities, which will negate any height or quickness concerns some on the board still seem to have.

Yup. Anybody who has those questions just needs to recall the unpleasant memory of 5'6 Jeremiah Dominguez hitting 7 3's on the Zags. Plus he really elevates on his jumper.

seacatfan
05-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Jesse brings a new and different dimension to GU.

Can you explain this? There have been a bunch of really good guards that preceded him, and their styles of play have been varied.

MDABE80
05-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Refine your question . It's quite nebulous. We've had good guards all with different traits.
BOGO.......phone typing with small characters (on the phone) without reading glasses gets you a confusing post.

Bogozags
05-30-2017, 03:13 AM
Refine your question . It's quit nebulous. We ve had good and all with different traits.

Morning Doc,

Seems as though your typing skills this am are just a little off...could that be because of the nice, smooth single malt you had in your glass...lol

hooter73
05-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Can you explain this? There have been a bunch of really good guards that preceded him, and their styles of play have been varied.

Ill take a stab at it... in regards to the three point shooting at least.

Dikau and Pangos (more so Dikau from way long range) could hit their shots from all over the place. Dan was usually a motion shooter - didnt need to be set - if i remember right, and Pangos was a little more of a square and set shooter. Ravio was a deadly quick release.

Jesse has the ability to create space with a step back that I just dont remember the others having. His release is high and fairly quick ala Ravio, and with that step back, he may fall a little more into the Dikau camp of being able to shoot in motion. Most our great shooters of old had that ice water in their veins of not being effected by a hand in their face, and Jesse already has shown that same ability. Hes not going to ever post someone up like NWG or Bouldin did, but he does see the lanes and goes to the basket when he can. His mid range game is unknown... but thats what we have Rui for lol.

jazzdelmar
05-30-2017, 08:36 AM
Comparing anyone to DDD is ludicrous and a fool's errand. He was FIRST TEAM AA!!!!!

Mr Vulture
05-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Reading comprehension Jazz...you are clearly missing the context of the post.

hooter73
05-30-2017, 09:26 AM
yeah no one is comparing, just pointing out similarities in other GU guards games.

MDABE80
05-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Yes Hooter, Jesse has a bit od this and a bit of that.....he combines the good traits of some of the guards we've had so far. None of the bad traits. Of course, he's a freshman and away from the game for 2 years so we'll see but he looks very good in all phases...........but speed. I just dunno about that. Very few of our guards were speed demons though...and yet they got the job done.

cggonzaga
05-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes Hooter, Jesse has a bit od this and a bit of that.....he combines the good traits of some of the guards we've had so far. None of the bad traits. Of course, he's a freshman and away from the game for 2 years so we'll see but he looks very good in all phases...........but speed. I just dunno about that. Very few of our guards were speed demons though...and yet they got the job done.

If his highlight videos are any indication he looks faster, quicker and more athletic than some of our previous point guards.

Zaga
05-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Yup. Anybody who has those questions just needs to recall the unpleasant memory of 5'6 Jeremiah Dominguez hitting 7 3's on the Zags. Plus he really elevates on his jumper.

I do remember that game.

Vanzagger
05-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Dominguez was 4-12 when it counted the most and I would guess at least a couple of those were in garbage time when they were down by 20+.

That's a far cry from a game where Pendo was probably told to play power forward and Bouldin to play wing. No Kennel Club either.

Post Season is a different animal. You can still do some stuff with a couple under sized guards but your next 5 guys better be above the rim type players

Zagdawg
06-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Gonzaga Guru‏ @GonzagaGuru 13m13 minutes ago
Sounds like Jesse Wade is playing quite well vs others at Gonzaga after returning from Mormon mission @jessewade10

Some excitement from first hand views of Jesse here in Spokane--

"Jesse Wade from Utah just moved into our ward here in Spokane!
He's going to summer school at GU. He looks to be in great shape and is a little taller than me and I'm 6'2". Members here in this area are very excited to have one of our own to cheer for finally and he is such a great young man. I took my son to watch some pickup ball Jesse told us about at the Kennel. All the Zags were there except for Tillie who Jesse said is still in France playing for the national team. Jesse started out playing against Perkins and Melson and lit them up with his shooting and driving to the basket. Some of the old Zags were playing as well. Jesse was easily the best scorer on the court with the Norvell kid that redshirted last year second. Jesse looked very seasoned and mature for being out of the game for two years. It looked like he ran out of gas a little bit at the end. The other guards were more flashy than Jesse was but he looked like the best all around player. It's going to be fun to watch him play and then talk to him on Sunday completely away from basketball. We are in a family ward which I was surprised to see him there but we are excited!"

Some BYU fans not too happy about missing out on Jesse in the link below

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=17895974

maynard g krebs
06-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Dominguez was 4-12 when it counted the most and I would guess at least a couple of those were in garbage time when they were down by 20+.

That's a far cry from a game where Pendo was probably told to play power forward and Bouldin to play wing. No Kennel Club either.

Post Season is a different animal. You can still do some stuff with a couple under sized guards but your next 5 guys better be above the rim type players

Not sure what your point is. Mine was merely, in response to another post, that Jesse Wade won't have a problem getting his shot off in CBB. The other stuff here is tangential.

ZagsObserver
06-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Any info on Josh wade? He's only 15 (or 16?), right?

MDABE80
06-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Oh brother.........glad to know he's doing well. Solid handles.

gonstu
06-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Sounds like Jesse Wade is playing quite well vs others at Gonzaga after returning from Mormon mission @jessewade10

He's going to summer school at GU. He looks to be in great shape and is a little taller than me and I'm 6'2". Members here in this area are very excited to have one of our own to cheer for finally and he is such a great young man. I took my son to watch some pickup ball Jesse told us about at the Kennel. All the Zags were there except for Tillie who Jesse said is still in France playing for the national team. Jesse started out playing against Perkins and Melson and lit them up with his shooting and driving to the basket. Some of the old Zags were playing as well. Jesse was easily the best scorer on the court with the Norvell kid that redshirted last year second. Jesse looked very seasoned and mature for being out of the game for two years. It looked like he ran out of gas a little bit at the end. The other guards were more flashy than Jesse was but he looked like the best all around player. It's going to be fun to watch him play and then talk to him on Sunday completely away from basketball. We are in a family ward which I was surprised to see him there but we are excited!"

If Wade and Norvell end up being best scorers then this new team will be good. Hoping Larsen can be a decent fill in for Karno. If they are really good again, Few and Company deserve some major recognition for their recruiting. Seems like every year they're losing 3-4 starters and still high level program. What a great job by the coaching staff, GU lucky to have them!

hooter73
06-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Exactly what I've been saying and expecting. He's old school GU; not flashy, and will absolutely torch you. My 6 year old son loved all the emails and updates while he was gone, great guy.

hooter73
06-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Figure we might as well have a thread that we can update when someone comes across a little player news over the summer.

Heres a nice little showing of what Josh has been up to...
https://twitter.com/brittanyng10/status/870058258643525632

Ekrub
06-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Thad Matta out at Ohio state. Who will replace him?

Zagdawg
06-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Add in how awesome his family is and solid GU fans (even with his sister going to BYU) -- it is a great fit.

Murphy outgo lifer
06-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Are the scrimmages open to the public? Does anyone have a schedule of the scrimmages? I would love to take my kids to see a couple this summer.

Zags_Fanatic
06-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Are the scrimmages open to the public? Does anyone have a schedule of the scrimmages? I would love to take my kids to see a couple this summer.

There are always scrimmages after the high school basketball camps starting on 6/20 in the Kennel. You can walk the tunnels from the old Kennel entrance to get in there. If I recall they usually start around 9:30 and really get going around 10 but I could be wrong on that. Those first few nights before the Alumni game should be awesome with a ton of players back in town.

TexasZagFan
06-05-2017, 01:01 PM
There are always scrimmages after the high school basketball camps starting on 6/20 in the Kennel. You can walk the tunnels from the old Kennel entrance to get in there. If I recall they usually start around 9:30 and really get going around 10 but I could be wrong on that. Those first few nights before the Alumni game should be awesome with a ton of players back in town.

Will the same hold true for the individual skills camp 7/20-7/23? I'm hoping my two boys (son and grandson) will be able to get a few pictures with past and present players.

Zagdawg
06-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Yes-- Zag players are there assisting with the camps and scrimmaging after.

cjm720
06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Will the same hold true for the individual skills camp 7/20-7/23? I'm hoping my two boys (son and grandson) will be able to get a few pictures with past and present players.

Who's most excited in the family?! That's pretty cool

TexasZagFan
06-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Who's most excited in the family?! That's pretty cool

Let me put it this way: if my son can get his picture taken with Joel Ayayi, he will be a big man on campus when he returns for his sophomore year. Joel has a big following at Coppell HS.

MDABE80
06-05-2017, 03:18 PM
I really like it when the guards look solid. With this recent news, I feel Jesse/Ayayi/Norvelle will be A listers by next year. I think we have some very good PG's on board. Also though, with Corey Kispert on board ( if his ankle/lower leg issues are settled, we will be strong. Josh may well be a shooting guard this year. Silas fits too. Expect some training sessions from the upper classmen. Along some of these lines, Jesse's not a flashy dunker or ball handler type with passing that generates "Oooo's and Ahh's". He won't be jumping over chairs for tomahawk dunks either. Something about a kid who shoots the lights out, runs his team like a pro and passes well is refreshing. The basics is what wins games.

J 3 and Tillie can't do the whole load underneath though. Larsen is a question mark. We do need another big to begin the season. If we do not find one, we'll suffer for it. Let's hope RUI's developing quickly. But, all things considered, GU won't have a FF caliber team every year. I'm looking forward to a fun season of development and winning lots of games.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2017, 05:01 PM

So Zach and Jesse were the two best scorers on the court, man does that bode well for our backcourt future. Plus with Corey and Rui on the wings we will be loaded for the next couple years. Plus it also puts to rest the rumor that one particular poster kept saying that Zach may need surgery again. I love reports like this.

raise the zag
06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
So Zach and Jesse were the two best scorers on the court, man does that bode well for our backcourt future. Plus with Corey and Rui on the wings we will be loaded for the next couple years. Plus it also puts to rest the rumor that one particular poster kept saying that Zach may need surgery again. I love reports like this.

Zach needs surgery again?

Never read that.

I do recall a discussion & update discussing Norvell as a 100% full participant in all practices/scrimmages, yet with occasional minor soreness back in March.

The mention of surgery as a small possibility, based on meniscus surgical history of many athletes was also discussed. This seemed to be flushed out and explained amongst many concurrent and subsequent posts.

The consistent cherry picking, blanket generalizations, & rush to judgement are a consistent theme of your posts.

The desire to call people out, utiling only snippets to further your agenda; while ignoring explanation or obvious facts/truth, is getting old, Spy.

Enjoy the good news.

75Zag
06-05-2017, 08:17 PM
I remain somewhat skeptical as to whether or not Mr. Wade has the +++++ talent to quickly move GU ahead of where they were at the end of the 2016 - 2017 season, but I certainly hope that he does, and I welcome him to GU.

How many days until GU wins a National Championship? It might be cool to post one of those count-down clocks in front of the Ad Building on Boone. They can always hit the reset button if it does not happen. I was at a client's facility the other day and they had a giant sign that said "It has been XX days since a major accident or injury". When I drove into the facility the number was 459. But when I drove out the number was -0-. Oops!

How many days to the GU NC? 459 or -0- or other?

Go Bulldogs!

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Zach needs surgery again?

Never read that.

I do recall a discussion & update discussing Norvell as a 100% full participant in all practices/scrimmages, yet with occasional minor soreness back in March.

The mention of surgery as a small possibility, based on meniscus surgical history of many athletes was also discussed. This seemed to be flushed out and explained amongst many concurrent and subsequent posts.

The consistent cherry picking, blanket generalizations, & rush to judgement are a consistent theme of your posts.

The desire to call people out, utiling only snippets to further your agenda; while ignoring explanation or obvious facts/truth, is getting old, Spy.

Enjoy the good news.

One particular poster over the last couple months kept intimating that he may need another surgery. But apparently that may have been a bit of an embellishment.

MontanaCoyote
06-06-2017, 07:03 AM
One mention for a former; Karno working out with Wizzard's today. No great expectations, but hoping there's a place for him in NBA or Euro Ball so he can play and make some decent bucks. Best wishes to The Mountain!

cggonzaga
06-06-2017, 07:14 AM
I'm expecting a lot from Josh this year. It's his team. No longer needs to defer to anyone. Time for Josh, Silas and JWIII to be the dudes.

TexasZagFan
06-06-2017, 07:21 AM
One mention for a former; Karno working out with Wizzard's today. No great expectations, but hoping there's a place for him in NBA or Euro Ball so he can play and make some decent bucks. Best wishes to The Mountain!

I think Karno will be in demand to many NBA teams. He can fill the role as a backup center for a fraction of the price of a veteran. When Durant signs his extension with the Warriors, IMO multiple teams will realign their sights to compete for the playoffs, instead of trying to compete with the superteams.

Karno's perfect under that situation: big body, good passer, advanced low post skills, good for 16-20 minutes a game.

JPtheBeasta
06-06-2017, 08:28 AM
One particular poster over the last couple months kept intimating that he may need another surgery. But apparently that may have been a bit of an embellishment.

I recall that "insider" comment, too. I wanted to corroborate that lest someone think you are chicken little.

MDABE80
06-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Good idea to have this thread Hooter! Josh is at a turning point. If he gets his head straightened out, he could be a killer. I hope he does. Karno..........I'm afraid a slow giant like him will find his way to Europe. I hope I'm wrong but the way things are these days I can't see him on an NBA team . I wish I could.

thespywhozaggedme
06-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Rui playing for the Japanese U19 team:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2017/05/19/basketball/hachimura-hopes-get-game-back-19-world-cup/#.WTbgXpLyvcs

They're playing him at center, not sure how I feel about that.

Kiddwell
06-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Curious about Shem. Is he a better overall player than Robert Sacre? Love both those Zags, just wondering 'cause Robert was a multi-year NBA success story. Methinks Shem can add quality NBA depth somewhere too.

:)

:]

thespywhozaggedme
06-06-2017, 09:09 AM
I recall that "insider" comment, too. I wanted to corroborate that lest someone think you are chicken little.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I didn't mention the posters name, but he strongly hinted at it more than once. Glad we can put that rumor to bed. Our future is very bright.

Coach Crazy
06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Curious about Shem. Is he a better overall player than Robert Sacre? Love both those Zags, just wondering 'cause Robert was a multi-year NBA success story. Methinks Shem can add quality NBA depth somewhere too.

:)

:]

Yes. He's not as athletic, but he's an overall better player.

kitzbuel
06-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Rui playing for the Japanese U19 team:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2017/05/19/basketball/hachimura-hopes-get-game-back-19-world-cup/#.WTbgXpLyvcs

They're playing him at center, not sure how I feel about that.
I don't think playing in Japan does him any good.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BULLDOG#1
06-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Shem is a great Zag and ambassador for the program. He steadily improved while at GU and came back strong from the back surgery. I suspect he will have a long and lucrative pro career overseas...

But those that contend he's NBA material have their heads in the clouds.

Hoopaholic
06-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Shem is a great Zag and ambassador for the program. He steadily improved while at GU and came back strong from the back surgery. I suspect he will have a long and lucrative pro career overseas...

But those that contend he's NBA material have their heads in the clouds.

Guess time will tell

JAGzag
06-06-2017, 11:07 AM

We seem to have this conversation every year about national teams and I think the consensus is an emphatic "no". With the language barriers and knowledge of the system, I was really hoping he would have stuck around this summer. But I hear there may have been some understanding with his national team about his participation.

MDABE80
06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Rui's downfall will be NOT paying attention to his needs here at GU. Language, co-ordination, shooting, positioning for rebounding and so on. Sure, he'll get a bit of that in Japan but not nearly as much with the competition here. I'm not so sure he shouldn't have redshirted. For US it's not about him playing for Japan. It's about getting him in serious D1 shape as a high end player who contributes much here. For HIM, it is an honor to represent his country. SO be it. I'm sure someone's explains the pro's and con's. Great kid. Hope he does well.

Mojo13
06-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Przemek Karnowski‏Verified account @PKarnowski 1h1 hour ago
More
Starting team workouts tomorrow, busy couple of weeks ahead but couldn't be more excited! First stop D.C. ✈️

I'd guess his mentor the Polish Hammer had something to do with the Wizards workout.

Zagger
06-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Does the spirit good (well?) and that adds to what a Zag is. So, I'd side with it doing him well and the Zags well too. Builds character :)

Mantua
06-06-2017, 01:10 PM

I would like to see Rui doing everything he could to reach his potential. If his goal is to play for the NBA, he needs to prioritize his development.

kitzbuel
06-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Does the spirit good (well?) and that adds to what a Zag is. So, I'd side with it doing him well and the Zags well too. Builds character :)

Euro's get comparable competition and can arguably see improvement by working with their national teams. Rui is going to be playing out of position and won't be challenged. I see bad habits potentially setting back in again.

Regardless, he will be the best player on the Japanese team, either way.

Mojo13
06-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Euro's get comparable competition and can arguably see improvement by working with their national teams. Rui is going to be playing out of position and won't be challenged. I see bad habits potentially setting back in again.

Regardless, he will be the best player on the Japanese team, either way.

Won't be challenged? In the u19 World's Japan is in the same pool as Canada and Spain. I can pretty much guarantee Japan will get throttled by both. I am sure Japan will lose many of their exhibition/warm-up games as well. Japan currently is playing a visiting U19 Czech squad in a three game series - so it not like they just play other crappy Asian teams only.

The last time Rui played for Japan he was essentially their "Point Center". He often brought ball up and initiated the offence but defended the paint. He pretty much has to do everything for Japan which has to be good for his development.
It may not be the best for honing him for his limited role for GU - but it is great for him across the board. Homers are gonna home though, so I get the angst....

maynard g krebs
06-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Given the tone of this thread, I thought my insight into Japanese culture would be helpful. My parents were Lutheran missionaries in Japan from 1952-55 and 56-61. I was born there in '54.

Japan was just beginning to modernize after the war; things were still very third world in a lot of Japan and all the foreigners had live-in household help. My parents needed it because they were both heavily involved in mission work.

From the time I was old enough to remember, we had a nanny/housekeeper who I considered like a second mother. She had been married young to an abusive alcoholic, and lost a year old baby because they were snowed in in the mountains and couldn't get to a doctor. After that she left him and needed a job in a time and place where the options for women were very limited. She bonded w/ my brothers and me, and she and my mother became like sisters, as my parents truly practiced their Christianity.

After we left and Japan started booming, she was able to go to school and got a good job as a corporate secretary. She and my mom would exchange letters several times a year, and christmas packages. And every year until her death, she'd send my 2 brothers and me each 300 dollars a year for our birthdays. That's until we were all around age 50. After she retired she came to visit us in Seattle twice, and was planning a third trip when her health started failing.

The point of all this is that loyalty, or maybe obligation is a better word, is a much bigger thing in Japanese culture than most of us can imagine here in the States. IMO the fact that Rui is committed to Japanese basketball is a reflection of his character. A "me first" attitude would probably have him in Spokane this summer. Personally, I'm glad he's doing what he's doing. And it may take a little longer, but I think he'll be fine.

hooter73
06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
I seem to have the feeling that for all our past international players, its been the school year AFTER the summer that they stay here that we see the biggest leaps in their games.

Curious about Shem. Is he a better overall player than Robert Sacre? Sacre was a slow to mid 7 footer, great foul shooter, with great work ethic and very solid defensive abilities. A perfect practice player that doesnt cost a team much. Shem is a slow to mid 7 footer, good defense, great passing. Teams just arent looking for that out of their big men anymore.

Mojo13
06-06-2017, 03:07 PM
I seem to have the feeling that for all our past international players, its been the school year AFTER the summer that they stay here that we see the biggest leaps in their games.

Sacre was a slow to mid 7 footer, great foul shooter, with great work ethic and very solid defensive abilities. A perfect practice player that doesnt cost a team much. Shem is a slow to mid 7 footer, good defense, great passing. Teams just arent looking for that out of their big men anymore.

It is an interesting question or who is (was?) better. Hooter73 is definitely correct the game has changed away from both Shem and Sacre. Shem would have had a good chance if he was draft eligible in 2012 like Rob. Even then Rob was drafted 60th overall and really only stayed in the league because of some intangibles he brought to the practice court and locker room. The Lakers really needed the happy-go-lucky Sacre during those days of Kobe's decline and ever intense personality. It was hard for guys to get along with Kobe - Rob did.

Rob is a much better player today than when drafted, yet he can't find a role in the NBA. I don't think Shem will get drafted or find a spot on an NBA roster. If he, does I really doubt he gets four full seasons in like Rob. I am a huge homer for any Canadian player, but I think Shem is a better player at similar stages of their careers - but perhaps that is recentcy bias.

titopoet
06-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Rui's downfall will be NOT paying attention to his needs here at GU. Language, co-ordination, shooting, positioning for rebounding and so on. Sure, he'll get a bit of that in Japan but not nearly as much with the competition here. I'm not so sure he shouldn't have redshirted. For US it's not about him playing for Japan. It's about getting him in serious D1 shape as a high end player who contributes much here. For HIM, it is an honor to represent his country. SO be it. I'm sure someone's explains the pro's and con's. Great kid. Hope he does well.

Except, he is playing in the U19 world championships in Cairo, not Japan. He will be playing against the best players under 19, (including those in the US). John Calipari will be there as the US coach. Tilley will be there and host of other hiigh major competion. I hope Japan uses him as a 3 as he has been learning the position.

Vanzagger
06-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Things go full circle. Shem could definitely stick. SOFT hands. He's been the best college center for a while

Ezag
06-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Not sure there is room for Shem in today's NBA. Maybe 10 years ago but 7 footers today are expected to be mobile, athletic and shoot 3's

kitzbuel
06-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Except, he is playing in the U19 world championships in Cairo, not Japan. He will be playing against the best players under 19, (including those in the US). John Calipari will be there as the US coach. Tilley will be there and host of other hiigh major competion. I hope Japan uses him as a 3 as he has been learning the position.
It was mentioned earlier he is playing center. No developmental value there IMO. The rest the team just gets him the ball and let him play Hercules.

thespywhozaggedme
06-06-2017, 05:36 PM

They're playing him at center with some Jewish-Japanese guy who committed to Georgia Tech as his back up. I would venture to guess that Rui will not be playing one minute at center for us, but who knows ?

sittingon50
06-06-2017, 06:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X0WX7UImPM

11:20 mark.

Hope that clears it up for some of you.

MileHigh
06-07-2017, 04:04 AM
What I have heard is that no one is concerned about his offense because he is a great shooter and crafty enough with the ball to get some space. The concerns about him playing a lot as a frosh are defensively as he is not an athletic (quick) kid and he doesn't have the experience yet to know how to play angles etc. when defending quicker pg's at the college level.

thespywhozaggedme
06-07-2017, 04:52 AM
What I have heard is that no one is concerned about his offense because he is a great shooter and crafty enough with the ball to get some space. The concerns about him playing a lot as a frosh are defensively as he is not an athletic (quick) kid and he doesn't have the experience yet to know how to play angles etc. when defending quicker pg's at the college level.

Sounds a lot like Pangos, no?

kitzbuel
06-07-2017, 08:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X0WX7UImPM

11:20 mark.

Hope that clears it up for some of you.

I will root for him heartily and I know how much it means to be playing there along with the rest of the ballers in the world. I just see his timeline here at GU slipping again.

zagfan24
06-07-2017, 08:37 AM
If you look at these situations in a vacuum of player development, then yes, everybody should spend their summer in Spokane. However, I think it's worth remembering the tremendous commitment that the young men who come to Gonzaga from overseas are making with the move to Spokane, and in that context, considering the emotional health benefits of their summers either at home or even simply playing with their countrymen on a national team. Even GU students who spend a year in Florence surrounded by their peers can identify the feeling of homesickness that can take over. When you take age and culture shock into account, I'm guessing there are very real benefits for these athletes who are able to spend a bit of their summer in a more familiar, comfortable cultural environment.

Zagdawg
06-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Tillie working

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVC9ECDDx0t/

hooter73
06-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Pretty much. He's not the next NWG, we know that, but yes a Pangos-esque guard and imo a littlle more Arron Craft than not. He'll be a better defender than people think, smart and relentless and the thing with Jesse is he capitalizes on other teams mistakes.

GeorgiaZagFan
06-07-2017, 11:16 AM

..but he will be playing for Japan in the FIBA Under-19 World Cup which will have some of the best players in the world for that age. It will definitely not hurt him.

Mantua
06-07-2017, 01:31 PM
I will root for him heartily and I know how much it means to be playing there along with the rest of the ballers in the world. I just see his timeline here at GU slipping again.

Yup.

There's a difference between the home basketball environments RH and KT are experiencing this summer. It's clear that Tillie has a good idea of what he needs to work on and that he has the discipline to follow through. Tillie arrived on campus armed with skill and knowledge of the game.

That being said, as has been pointed out with teams and players in the past, summertime team building and player development pay off for the next season. I'm also concerned about FIBA players starting school late and being worn out by summer travel schedules.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Pretty much. He's not the next NWG, we know that, but yes a Pangos-esque guard and imo a littlle more Arron Craft than not. He'll be a better defender than people think, smart and relentless and the thing with Jesse is he capitalizes on other teams mistakes.

I'm hoping to hear summer scrimmage tales of a shooting star named Jesse Wade. He's heating up in Spokane! scoring at will...from Stepp range with Raivio flare and Dickau's midrange game. He will be a scoring punch off the bench; Ammo intensity, Santangelo's guts and Frahm's flare.

The Calvary has arrived.

Welcome to ZagNation Jesse Wade

zagsfanforlife
06-07-2017, 06:33 PM

True...

Defense never kept a scoring pg from playing (Raivio, Pangos, Dickau).. if he can score, he will play.

Coach Crazy
06-07-2017, 06:44 PM

More athletic than Pangos.

MDABE80
06-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Jesse had good HS speed 2 years ago prior to his mission. I'm thinking his speed may have improved quite a bit with physical maturity. He's got the LD of Blake and I'm thinking the mid shooting of DD. He's really an amazing shooter. Superior ball handler back then. I'm thinking flare, etc doesn't really matter when it comes down to him being 2 years further down the road with probable 2 years physical maturity. We'll see soon enough. Come June 20th, I'll be there watching.

JPtheBeasta
06-08-2017, 08:23 AM
... and the Legend of Jesse Wade grows. I heard that he helped Chuck Norris stop a North Korean nuclear missile launch one time during his LDS mission.

thebigsmoove
06-08-2017, 08:35 AM
... and the Legend of Jesse Wade grows. I heard that he helped Chuck Norris stop a North Korean nuclear missile launch one time during his LDS mission.

While wearing sharks as shoes.

TexasZagFan
06-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Impressive...about the closest I ever got to such a feat was getting an aircraft diverted in flight from one base to another. We had a missile system coming back from Crete that needed a new radiator. Instead of landing in Frankfurt, 100 miles away, we were able to get the plane diverted to its home station, Bitburg AB.

Glad I never met the pilot, I'm sure he was ticked off about spending the night in a small town vs. Frankfurt. lol

Unlike Jesse & Chuck, no lives were saved, just dozens of man hours, considering the distance and logistics involved.

The whole story is interesting only to me, as are most of my recollections of time in the military.

And to think I was nearly kicked out of ROTC with two weeks to go in my senior year...maybe RenoZag recalls that kerfuffle.

MDABE80
06-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Speaking of Reno, where's he been?

JPtheBeasta
06-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Impressive...about the closest I ever got to such a feat was getting an aircraft diverted in flight from one base to another. We had a missile system coming back from Crete that needed a new radiator. Instead of landing in Frankfurt, 100 miles away, we were able to get the plane diverted to its home station, Bitburg AB.

Glad I never met the pilot, I'm sure he was ticked off about spending the night in a small town vs. Frankfurt. lol

Unlike Jesse & Chuck, no lives were saved, just dozens of man hours, considering the distance and logistics involved.

The whole story is interesting only to me, as are most of my recollections of time in the military.

And to think I was nearly kicked out of ROTC with two weeks to go in my senior year...maybe RenoZag recalls that kerfuffle.

Yikes. That would have been quite the kerfuffle. I'm gald it worked out.

JPtheBeasta
06-08-2017, 11:29 AM
While wearing sharks as shoes.

Naturally :)

Zagdawg
06-26-2017, 08:25 AM
Google translated ---Article on Rui

First year of Gonzaga which was "the preparation period for next season"

Hatake Yamura who stood on the stage of the first NCAA final as a Japanese challenged the World Cup this summer as the A-19 of the U-19 representative.

In the past year of Hachimura, the environment has changed rapidly, it was everyday being massaged at high level. It has cleared the grades that become the norm of NCAA by fierce studies, and the membership registration was decided just before the opening. Due to insufficient language skills, it was thought to devote himself to studying outside the membership in the first year, but it was his will to decide to wear uniforms and to encourage basketball as well as studying . "That's why I did not want to forget to prepare and prepare for the game, even if I can not get out of the game much."

In fact, during the season Yamura was the first to memorize the team's system, and the playing time was short. Still Yamura feels a certain progress in the first year at Gonzaga. NCAA final with North Carolina major who became a great battle. When the team got into a foul trouble at the end of the game, Hachimura was told from the head coach, "Get ready to go out the game."

"Although it did not come out as a result, preparing to go out to the game in the important scene of the final is confident because it can not be experienced in ordinary matches.To make it a year of preparations for next season It was the theme of this year, so I think I could do it. "I finished my first year with a response.

And this time it is time for you to become the leading role. It is Hachimura who is not anyone else to serve as a Japanese ace in the U - 19 World Cup.

No worries about gaming intuition, chemistry requires detailed tasks

On June 4, the game against the Czech U-19 representative released in Okinawa. In this game, Hachimura marked 24 highs of Team High including three 3-point shoots and became the driving force to win a victory at 91-52. In fact the Czech Republic is actually a team that members under the age of 18 come to Japan and are prominently downgraded. However, because there is a height that can not be experienced in Japan, it was a meaningful opponent in terms of getting used to.

To such a opponent, Yamura creates Japanese rhythm by freely attacking the inner and outer corners. In the scene where I took a rebound and ran as it went through a splendid dunk, I gave the venue a lot of fun.

"It's been a long time since I went to the game since the third year of the winter cup in high school I myself worried about not having a bout, but after all I remembered the match feeling and it was okay than I thought."

Hachimura's team is sure that compared to last summer's U-18 the options of offense increased, and it is certain that they have grown a lot. However, the head coach Toasen Loible says, "Hachimura still has a minor task in terms of chemistry, seeing the current situation that it needs to play two or three games." Before entering Egypt where the battlefield is in place, Japan will go to Germany and play two games with the U - 19 national team of the strong German team. The actual battle there will be important.

Captain Mikami "Base knows what to do to win"

On the one hand, the problem was that, in terms of being able to understand the team's system in a short period of time, the Loible HC had given a passing score. "A very clever player, his ability to move without breaking the team work even when he is not completely riding the rhythm yet"

That's right. In Gonzaga it was a powerful play style that appealed on the court, but the flexibility to choose rich variety finish and play according to the circumstances is the original taste of Hachimura. My first team mates were amazed at how high their response was.

"If you think that you are a player who plays more strongly as" I am yourself ", it is not the case at all, rather it will make up for us and will compensate for what we are missing" (Keisuke Masuda)

"It can do inside and outside, let's make use of the surroundings, it is amazing to give a sense of security although I just entered the team" (Toshiaki Sugimoto)

Meanwhile, Yuki Mikami, who had been accompanying himself at Megumi Takashi Hiroshi High School, had already taken a step forward. Like teammates, I am not worried about playing. As the captain, communication was the most important consideration above all else.

"It was only me that I talked with the base on this team, so I was worried about getting familiar with the team soon, but I did not need to worry about it at all ... Talk to everyone from the base and have a good atmosphere I make it and take the initiative to make it excitement.I know what to do for the team to win.I surely gonzaga felt that I was communicating with my colleagues with difficulty. "

Every time I see Gonzaga's game live over the sea, there are many people who have witnessed Yashimura 's appearance that is exciting with benches more than anyone else. If I leave the coat, I got to be told from a teammate "a Japanese talking a lot". At first it was thought that aggressiveness is insufficient, but I was able to get familiar with Gonzaga before, because I've prepared "to prepare for the game" as Hachimura said. I do what my team can do to win the team. The Japanese who came from the land of a foreign country was an action to gain trust as a member of Gonzaga.

In addition, Mikami says. "We need to know more about the play that the base wants to do, and we can make it better, if we can do that, we can become stronger."

Hunger for the official game, now is the time to prove existence ─

Hachimura was able to join the U-19 delegate by leaving the prescribed results at the spring semester until May. However, "Since online courses using PC start from July, we have to take classes even during the tournament and we have to study back to the US soon after the tournament," he said. Speak. Compatibility with academic studies is still a continuing task. What kind of stage is it for Yamura for the U - 19 World Cup that I'd like to challenge even though tasks are being imposed from such next time?

"After all, since it is far from the official game, I think that there are many people who think that" Where did Hachimura go? "Because I also feel like I have gone away from everyone for about two years, so I want people to tell me again what I am, I want to show where I can and Japan will be able to do with this World Cup. "

In fact, Hachimura who is participating in the NCAA tournament is not two years away from the official game. Of course he points out the meaning "I am the center of the team".

In Japan there are players who can score points other than Masuda, Mikami, Nishida, Sugimoto and Yachimura. In addition, Yamura is good at leveraging the surroundings. However, it is the appearance as Yoshi village in the world cup world championship gathering as an ace. As I did in the U - 17 World Championship which became the scorer three years ago, fighting with the attitude of "I do it myself" when the team is in trouble is the future in Gonzaga Japan It will also lead to the future of. Summer is coming soon to prove the existence of Yashima base.

http://basket-count.com/article/detail/2663

tinfoilzag
06-26-2017, 08:48 AM
Google translated ---Article on Rui...

http://basket-count.com/article/detail/2663

I like reading about Rui but the google translated version makes it into an enjoyable puzzle as well :D

Thanks for posting!

Birddog
06-26-2017, 08:48 AM
In short: "all your base are belong to us". Gotta love Google translator.

TexasZagFan
06-26-2017, 09:03 AM
In short: "all your base are belong to us". Gotta love Google translator.

There ya go, identifying yourself as a geezer, again.

So is Blake heading back to Oklahoma?

Zagdawg
06-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
NBADraftProspects‏ @draftprosnba 29m29 minutes ago
Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura just dropped 35 on Germany's U19 in a friendly match. Was 4-6 for 3, also grabbed 10 boards. Japan still lost by 19.

Birddog
06-26-2017, 01:16 PM
There ya go, identifying yourself as a geezer, again.

So is Blake heading back to Oklahoma?

I hope not, but the Thunder GM keeps a tight lid on everything.

seacatfan
06-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Wade sounds like a Frankenstein's Monster of former Zags. But as far as I know all of those former players are still alive, so I don't think anyone has been robbing graves.

RenoZag
06-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Speaking of Reno, where's he been?

Mostly observing, Doc. Spare time has been: golf, camping, gardening, reading, checking out Trulia listings in Spokane and Twin Lakes Village. . .

At work: We're in the due diligence phase of a modest acquisition, looking at some equipment CAPEX's, interviewing VP of Sales candidates, developing new products, strategic planning, etc.

Life it's ownself, mostly. Thanks for asking.

WallaWallaZag
06-27-2017, 07:40 AM

at the elite d1 level, sometimes being forced to be "the man" again is good for development...a bench/role player who has rui's potential can get too used to deferring...some players need to learn to take over a game and this situation provides that opportunity.

DixieZag
06-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
NBADraftProspects‏ @draftprosnba 29m29 minutes ago
Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura just dropped 35 on Germany's U19 in a friendly match. Was 4-6 for 3, also grabbed 10 boards. Japan still lost by 19.

That's pretty impressive to my eye. 4-6 from 3? If he could shoot at just that level, with all his physical gifts and all that, that might well be enough to get him on the floor a lot more. /s

Yeah, I don't really care how many your team got beat by. As long as he didn't take 100 shots from inside the arc, that seems pretty darn impressive, Germany may not be the BB power that the U.S. is, but it's not like it came against Belize, either. That would be some high-level competition.

Impressive, and boy if he exploded, that would help with a lot of gnashing of teeth in other places.

RenoZag
07-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Spokesman article on J. Wade:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jul/06/gonzaga-freshman-jesse-wade-no-stranger-to-gym-har/

Wade is leaning on Perkins and Melson, the Zags’ most experienced players.

“I just ask them questions: ‘How to come off a pick-and-roll, what to look for, how is the defender going to play it?’ ” said Wade, whose sister, Olivia, has committed to BYU soccer.

Wade followed Gonzaga’s magical 2017 season through video clips and updates from family and friends.

“I know that pressure is definitely a privilege and I’m grateful to come into a situation like this,” he said. “It’s a huge blessing. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Zagdawg
07-30-2017, 05:27 PM
http://www.fiba.basketball/fr/world/u19/2017/videos/Killian-Tillie-VERY-BEST-plays-from-the-FIBA-U19-Basketball-World-Cup-2017

hooter73
07-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Those push shots, drives and hook shots will be great in wcc but his finesse style still doesn't translate well in top 25 level competition. We've seen he has the aggressiveness in him though, euro ball is just a different animal.

adoptedzag
08-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Those push shots, drives and hook shots will be great in wcc but his finesse style still doesn't translate well in top 25 level competition. We've seen he has the aggressiveness in him though, euro ball is just a different animal.

For starters, he can't dribble to his left and turn and shoot with his right hand (first highlight) against even WCC folks. That'll end up in row 9.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2017, 08:34 PM
http://www.fiba.basketball/fr/world/u19/2017/videos/Killian-Tillie-VERY-BEST-plays-from-the-FIBA-U19-Basketball-World-Cup-2017

It was funny hearing him shout "And 1" in English against New Zealand when he was fouled and the basket went in. Even though he's French his year at an American university has rubbed off on him. It's funny

SLOZag
08-02-2017, 12:47 AM
"This week a number of college coaches have watched Samanic. On Tuesday, among the schools watching Croatia's game against Iceland included Gonzaga, UC-Santa Barbara, Cleveland State, Florida, Ole Miss, Purdue and Stanford.

“It’s still an option,” Samanic said when asked about his interest in college basketball. “I followed the NCAA tournament, but I haven’t spoken to any,” he added.

Samanic, who plays for FC Barcelona’s junior team, said his plan is to finish high school and then figure out his next move, which obviously could also include signing a professional contract.
“I have to finish my high school and if I’m good enough, it’s a good league,” he said of college basketball. “If I’m good enough, I will go there, but for now I still have two years of high school.”"

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/FIBA-u18-College-an-option-for-Croatia-native-Luka-Samanic--105712290

Zagdawg
08-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Video is a year old-- but some nice stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L910qa0BeU

doctorzag
08-02-2017, 11:26 AM
"This week a number of college coaches have watched Samanic. On Tuesday, among the schools watching Croatia's game against Iceland included Gonzaga, UC-Santa Barbara, Cleveland State, Florida, Ole Miss, Purdue and Stanford.

“It’s still an option,” Samanic said when asked about his interest in college basketball. “I followed the NCAA tournament, but I haven’t spoken to any,” he added.

Samanic, who plays for FC Barcelona’s junior team, said his plan is to finish high school and then figure out his next move, which obviously could also include signing a professional contract.
“I have to finish my high school and if I’m good enough, it’s a good league,” he said of college basketball. “If I’m good enough, I will go there, but for now I still have two years of high school.”"

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/FIBA-u18-College-an-option-for-Croatia-native-Luka-Samanic--105712290

Well now we know he is not coming this year.

bartruff1
08-02-2017, 12:21 PM
There ought to be some sort of " age of consent " before the recruiting of kids begins...maybe the end of basketball season in their senior year or 17....

HenneZag
08-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Took a lil stroll around the campus today with the wife and kiddo to check out all the new construction. Saw Perkins and Sabonis walking away from the gym drenched in sweat. Said hello, man Sabonis is such a gentle and nice guy, said hello to my daughter (9 months) rubbed her cheeks even .

Reborn
08-04-2017, 01:22 PM
a truly great moments that you'll probably always remember.

Zagdawg
08-15-2017, 05:28 PM
https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/897606299931639808

ZagNative
08-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Didn't they refinish the gym floor previously during the last couple of years? This tweet surprised me ...

Gonzaga Basketball‏Verified account @ZagMBB

Facilities work continues, the McCarthey floor is currently being refinished #UnitedWeZag

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHSjvmjVwAARkEO.jpg:large

Zagdawg
09-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 36m36 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga's Jacob Larsen cleared to practice without restriction. Larsen redshirted last season with torn ACL suffered in early October

zagbeliever
09-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Took a lil stroll around the campus today with the wife and kiddo to check out all the new construction. Saw Perkins and Sabonis walking away from the gym drenched in sweat. Said hello, man Sabonis is such a gentle and nice guy, said hello to my daughter (9 months) rubbed her cheeks even .

How cool!

zagbeliever
09-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 36m36 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga's Jacob Larsen cleared to practice without restriction. Larsen redshirted last season with torn ACL suffered in early October

This is great news!

jazzdelmar
09-08-2017, 02:35 AM
This is great news!

Indeed. Like getting a 5 star transfer.

hooter73
09-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Indeed. Like getting a 5 star transfer.

Lets hope so. I just spent my morning coffee time watching highlights from last year. Karnos size and leadership cannot be reproduced and as much as some of us feel Tille may be more skilled than Collins, its in different ways. Losing the one two of Collins and PK in the center is going to be even more crucial than losing everything that NWG brought to the table. Not that each year should try to replicate the previous one, but our inside presence is goign to be interesting to say the least.

Zagdawg
10-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Sam Vecenie‏Verified account @Sam_Vecenie 11m11 minutes ago
Checked out Gonzaga practice today. Good team, lot of talent. Rui was good, Perkins and Williams III were confident team leaders.

JPtheBeasta
10-06-2017, 06:19 PM
“Rui was good” may be the 3 best words posted on the board so far this offseason.

Zagdawg
10-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Sam Vecenie‏Verified account @Sam_Vecenie 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @Sam_Vecenie
One big standout, though, can’t play this year. SJSU transfer Brandon Clarke is going to be a good one for them. Starting to shoot it, too.

Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Replying to @CanEyeBall
I think Ayayi is closer than I thought he’d be. Clarke was excellent. Larsen will play.

willandi
10-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Replying to @Sam_Vecenie
One big standout, though, can’t play this year. SJSU transfer Brandon Clarke is going to be a good one for them. Starting to shoot it, too.

Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Replying to @CanEyeBall
I think Ayayi is closer than I thought he’d be. Clarke was excellent. Larsen will play.

I'm getting excited!

MDABE80
10-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Kids are very good. Great athletes and superior shooters. They like each other. We may not see a FF this year but a Swt 16 should be attainable.

Zags_Fanatic
10-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Checked out Gonzaga practice today. Good team, lot of talent. Rui was good, Perkins and Williams III were confident team leaders.

Awesome, should get some good content from Vecenie after Kraziness. This will honestly probably push me to subscribe to The Athletic.

thespywhozaggedme
10-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Kids are very good. Great athletes and superior shooters. They like each other. We may not see a FF this year but a Swt 16 should be attainable.

I'd be very surprised if we don't make the EE

zagsfanforlife
10-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Perkins, Wade, Ayayi
Norvell, Kispert, Ayayi, Ravet
Rui, Kispert, Norvell
Tillie, Clarke, Watson
Clarke, Larson

I mean.. are these dreams too early to start having? if Rui and Tillie dont go pro thats at least three pros in the starting lineup, with one or two off the bench too.

While we struck out on a lot of recruits, that 18-19 team could still be a title contender.

Cant wait to watch these kids grow this year. We could still make a run in 17-18 no doubt.

Goshzagit
10-07-2017, 06:30 AM
I'd be very surprised if we don't make the EE

We are loaded with talent, but also loaded with weaknesses we did not have last season, esp with two defensive specialists off the bench in Collins & Melson.

Our bench guys are talented, yet far from known for their defense.

The difference between scoring/shooting your way to a Sweet 16 and fighting your way to an Elite 8 is HUGE (pun intended).

All about defense and a big or two to muscle rebounds and absorb fouls. Question mark in both areas. Not to mention rim protection via Karno and Collins, and all the drives opponents would take and miss as a result.

Just think about that West Virginia game in the S16 last year.

Defense, experience, toughness, & bigs in foul trouble. It allowed us to absorb blow after blow, and Mathews to make a clutch shot.

Imagine just one of our bigs this year suffer an injury or even fpul trouble?

We can't just outscore and out finesse those type of teams.

This squad needed at least one more big or Collins to return to be taken anything more than a NCAA worthy team.

We have a fun team this year, even a more versatile one. We can score, shoot, run, gun, etc.

But the moment we face one injury, or foul issue to one of our TWO post players, we can no longer grind, rebound, block shots, defend the interior.

And if you say Tillie, Rui, or Kispert can slide over to play the 4 or 5, it's true they can, but not vs Sweet 16 or better teams. They will score but we aint out rebounding or defending said teams.

I just hope Larsen is a man amongst boys, Kispert develops rapidly to a star, & Norvell/Wade/Rui are ready to explode on the scene. Also, is Perks shoulder stability issues behind him and ready to take over?

Point is, we are very thin matching up vs many teams, esp in the paint. One more serviceable big would have provided a security blanket, size, & depth this particular team sorely needed.

GoZags
10-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Perkins, Wade, Ayayi
Rui, Kispert, Norvell
Tillie, Clarke, Watson
Clarke, Larson

I mean.. are these dreams too early to start having? if Rui and Tillie dont go pro thats at least three pros in the starting lineup, with one or two off the bench too.

While we struck out on a lot of recruits, that 18-19 team could still be a title contender.

Cant wait to watch these kids grow this year. We could still make a run in 17-18 no doubt.

Your last sentence reminded me of Randy Dickau's post (in 2000, before his son Dan ever stepped on the floor for Gonzaga).

Impressions of Gon ZAG a after one season?

"Love of the game" runs extraordinarily deep at GU. Player, excredible fans (The Kennel...WOW!), parents and coaches.
"Knowledge of the game" within the community is very high.
"Respect and appreciation" of what is required to achieve success. Ego drive, while necessary and valued, is consistenly held in-check for the good of the entire team This is unique in the "modern"era.) The word is TEAM. The "fit" is infinitely better at GU.
"Coaching". Honesty, effort, one-on-one attention is expected and received by the players. "Help me get better" is a request made of coaches which is responded to with enthusiasm. How refreshing! Comprehension of the term "Zag Material" is now complete and is a component of what make this program so special.
"Academic Expectations." 3.3 GPA "nuff said".
"The Dream" of an NCAA Championship is alive! 2001? 2002? However I must not get ahead of myself.
Why not 2000? "My teams on the floor!"
3D'sDD

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?18497-Thoughts-from-an-quot-insider-quot&p=376384#post376384

Zagdawg
10-07-2017, 06:47 AM
https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/916406555825684480

thespywhozaggedme
10-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Perkins, Wade, Ayayi
Rui, Kispert, Norvell
Tillie, Clarke, Watson
Clarke, Larson

Brandon left San Jose because he did not want to be a center. He is the definition of a power forward. Larson will be our starting center next year.

jazzdelmar
10-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted

Who's Sam Vecenie?

zagsfanforlife
10-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Brandon left San Jose because he did not want to be a center. He is the definition of a power forward. Larson will be our starting center next year.

So you are sitting Tillie in his junior year or Rui in his Junior year? I highly doubt that. You are taking "center" too literal. That team will be a team of athletic 6'8 6'9 hybrids.

Zagceo
10-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Who's Sam Vecenie?

Sports guy (https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie) making the preseason rounds

http://i.imgs.fyi/img/1k1o.png

Zags1993
10-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Interesting how Vecenie mentions Ayayi might be ready to play right way.

vandalzag
10-09-2017, 06:48 AM
Who's Sam Vecenie?

Google is your friend http://www.sportingnews.com/author/271-sam-vecenie

jazzdelmar
10-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Google is your friend http://www.sportingnews.com/author/271-sam-vecenie

I was looking for an unexpurgated description, not PR stuff. But thanks for the tip.

OntZags
10-09-2017, 10:23 AM
So you are sitting Tillie in his junior year or Rui in his Junior year? I highly doubt that. You are taking "center" too literal. That team will be a team of athletic 6'8 6'9 hybrids.

It is *very* up in the air whether either guy will be back next season.

Tillie's skillset is not far off of Collins and if he is healthy this season, there is a very good chance he goes into the draft.

Rui is still super raw but there is little doubt he has NBA upside. If his season goes well it's entirely possible he enters too. NBA teams will be willing to take a flyer on his upside and getting him into their development system, especially given his heritage. (having the first NBA Japanese player can *seriously* help an NBA teams brand over there)

Agree with your sentiment though. If everyone returns, the best players will get minutes and the team wont be necessarily built around a true center. The coaches will adjust the offense according to the personnel.

Reborn
10-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Agree with your sentiment though. If everyone returns, the best players will get minutes and the team wont be necessarily built around a true center. The coaches will adjust the offense according to the personnel.

Are you thinking that Larsen is not a "true center?" What would you call him? He is 6' 11".

MDABE80
10-09-2017, 11:59 AM
He is Reborn. A wee bit slower than I thought he should be. Cautious player. I think what Ont is saying is that very good, 6 8 or 6 9 guys who are athletic ( ours are) will likely play more due to their skill set. Larsen will fit in but I'm thinking brought along slowly. No doubt he's a lot bigger ( muscle wise) than I thought from last week when I wrote he was a pretty much a giant of a guy. He'll be a good one for us. he's just quite D1 all star just yet. Needs more experience.

Loved Kispert and Wade....two can't miss kids. If Kispert was 2 inches taller, he'd be NBA bound in a few years. He is tough!

jazzdelmar
10-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a lot of very good college BB players in various stages of development. Who's the breakout star, the true NBA aspirant, the guy who takes the last shot, need I say: the leader?????

MDABE80
10-09-2017, 12:21 PM
For me RUI still has lots of potential . He'll need to get the fundamentalsdown and seriously expand his day to day game. A possible star in the making but day to day D1 ball awaits him. Can't live on highlights. He should be an incredibly solid college player. He can be that. It'll take some work.

Bogozags
10-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a lot of very good college BB players in various stages of development. Who's the breakout star, the true NBA aspirant, the guy who takes the last shot, need I say: the leader?????

Jazz I think it's one of three guys: Silas, Josh or Zach. Why because I think they can each get their own shot. I didn't include Williams because he's a post player and more than likely have defences swarm on him if he gets the ball for the "last" shot...

OntZags
10-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Are you thinking that Larsen is not a "true center?" What would you call him? He is 6' 11".

I agree he is a true center. And when he's out there it'll be a more orthodox approach.

But if Tillie & Rui return (and they add a guy like Brown or Hepa), he isn't gonna to be the focal point of minutes. They'll run a lot of lineups with 2PF's + Rui/Kispert, maybe even 3 PF's.

Zagceo
10-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Rui..tough to stop him physically... driving dishing dunking...

Perkins Melson Norvell Williams don't require help in defending as much as Rui....

jazzdelmar
10-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Rui..tough to stop him physically... driving dishing dunking...

Perkins Melson Norvell Williams don't require help in defending as much as Rui....

Then he must have improved 500% over last year.

Zagceo
10-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Then he must have improved 500% over last year.

English...easy

amaronizag
10-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Jazz, I certainly wouldn't say 500% improvement from Rui, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have had a "wait and see" attitude toward Rui all along because he was such a project. No doubt lots of innate athleticism, but he still had a long ways to go at the end of last season. I watched his televised games this summer with great interest and high hopes. Yes, he played really well, and put up some good numbers, but the talent level, age, and player size of his competition kept me in the "wait and see" contingent. Granted, Kraziness in the Kennel is not a very good test either, but it's still a glimpse, and I was very pleased with what I saw Saturday. I saw the same physical and athletic specimen with much improved skills offensively and defensively. I'm still in the wait and see contingent, but now also in the "pleasantly surprised" contingent. I hope to be in the "enthusiastically praising" contingent based on proven performances in PK80, in NY, and in the pre-conference games. So far, I'm liking his progress and hope his trajectory of improvement continues steadily upward. Go Rui!!

Reborn
10-09-2017, 03:02 PM
An oldie but suddenly relevant again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv5W1eFVtSs

If anyone doubts how exciting dunking the ball in basketball is, they need to watch this video. This video is so cool. Wish it could go viral.

Reborn
10-09-2017, 03:21 PM

The ball will be in Rui's hands at the end of games. Why? Because HE is the one who can create his own shot best, or the one who can create and dish. The other one to look to in order to get the last shot is JWIII of course. You can't say he CAN'T create his own shot because he can. I have NOT seen too many players stop him, and maybe I have not seen any. What hurts his chances for closing out is he's a been a bad free throw shooter, whereas Rui is pretty good. Just my opinion.

katman50
10-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Never get tired of that video. It is so joyous. A lot of laughing and jiving. I love it!

Zagdawg
10-17-2017, 10:17 AM
Jim Meehan‏
@SRJimm
Following Following @SRJimm

Gonzaga and Texas A&M expected to scrimmage in Denver on Oct. 28. Aggies beat the Zags 62-61 in semis of 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis

gozagswoohoo
10-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Jim Meehan‏
@SRJimm
Following Following @SRJimm

Gonzaga and Texas A&M expected to scrimmage in Denver on Oct. 28. Aggies beat the Zags 62-61 in semis of 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis

I wonder where the scrimmage will be held...?

Josh Perkins' dad owns/runs a rec center/gym in Denver. Maybe that's a coincidence, because I kinda doubt they'd hold something like this in a little rec center gym.

sittingon50
10-17-2017, 12:44 PM
They've played in Matt Bouldin's HS gym in years gone by. If they have the same Coach that could be a possibility.

Zagdawg
10-20-2017, 01:05 PM
The promised land sheds a new light for Gonzaga

http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/308990/the-promised-land-sheds-a-new-light-for

sittingon50
10-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks Zagdawg.

willandi
10-20-2017, 05:54 PM

http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/308990/the-promised-land-sheds-a-new-light-for

Love this!

webspinnre
10-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Love this!

And man, can you imagine? Nigel and Domas on this team? That'd be incredible.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2017, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=webspinnre;1333428]Love this!

Wade, nerve injury, shoulder..??

Zagdawg
10-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Leave it the guy to find the silver lining in any article..........

MDABE80
10-20-2017, 07:41 PM
What????? Jesse? If true it's a messy thing!

jazzdelmar
10-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Leave it the guy to find the silver lining in any article..........

It’s called reading comprehension.

Zagceo
10-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Wade right shoulder?

webspinnre
10-20-2017, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=webspinnre;1333428]Love this!

Wade, nerve injury, shoulder..??

Not the news - I love the writing.

dhozagfan08
10-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Anyone notice that he left someone out in his dream of returning players?

GoZags
10-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Love this!

And man, can you imagine? Nigel and Domas on this team? That'd be incredible.

Bud missed it in his recap, but Tommy actually mentioned Nigel, Domas AND Zach Collins ....

GoZags
10-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Anyone notice that he left someone out in his dream of returning players?

Just addressed it in another post. Zach was the first one of the three that Tommy mentioned ... in fact, he was answering a question about Collins when he told the group about his "dream".

jazzdelmar
10-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Bud missed it in his recap, but Tommy actually mentioned Nigel, Domas AND Zach Collins ....

Amazing isn’t it. When I have conjured such a thing I am roundly criticized hereabouts on a number of different fronts. Sigh. Guess rank has its privileges. You go, Tommy.

Kong-Kool-Aid
10-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Amazing isn’t it. When I have conjured such a thing I am roundly criticized hereabouts on a number of different fronts. Sigh. Guess rank has its privileges. You go, Tommy.

I don't believe Tommy said that they made big mistakes by leaving early.

kitzbuel
10-21-2017, 10:42 PM

It is all in the delivery.

bartruff1
10-22-2017, 06:55 AM
I don't believe Tommy said that they made big mistakes by leaving early.

Now that is called reading comprehension....he never even hinted that they made a mistake....

jazzdelmar
10-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Now that is called reading comprehension....he never even hinted that they made a mistake....

Riiight. As if he ever could.

bartruff1
10-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Well played....

Zagdawg
10-24-2017, 08:20 AM
The best international newcomers in college basketball

Jacob Larsen, Gonzaga
Has anyone had more success with international prospects over the last decade than Gonzaga? Perhaps the next big man from across the pond that will impact the Gonzaga program is Denmark native Jacob Larsen. Now, Gonzaga fans will need to be patient with Larsen, as he has barely played the last two seasons because of knee issues, but there’s a lot of talent and ability here. Larsen, who stands 6-foot-10, has added 20 pounds to his frame since arriving on campus. Like most European post players, Larsen’s value lies in his skill. He has quality hands, nice touch and good feel as a passer. As long as Larsen can prove to stay healthy, he should be a key player in Gonzaga’s rotation with potential to have a much bigger impact over the course of his career.

https://247sports.com/Article/The-best-international-newcomers-in-college-basketball-109391939/Amp

23zagmd
10-24-2017, 09:22 AM
There is a contingent of folks out there that think being white and short precludes one from being an elite athlete, no matter how silly that may sound, it exists. I think what Zagster was insinuating is simply that Jessie is an elite athlete.

Exactly....a lot of people should stop being so oversensitive to the race issue. His comment was not racist, only factual. If you can't handle the truth...go to another thread!

23zagmd
10-24-2017, 09:26 AM
It is *very* up in the air whether either guy will be back next season.

Tillie's skillset is not far off of Collins and if he is healthy this season, there is a very good chance he goes into the draft.

Rui is still super raw but there is little doubt he has NBA upside. If his season goes well it's entirely possible he enters too. NBA teams will be willing to take a flyer on his upside and getting him into their development system, especially given his heritage. (having the first NBA Japanese player can *seriously* help an NBA teams brand over there)

Wow, I totally disagree with the "them leaving part next year".....unless one of them completely blows up I just don't see it. Both super talented but far from ready for the draft.....Look at the advice Williams got. He had a tremendous year and was told to stay in school. I think both of these are huge long shots!

Coach Crazy
10-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Wow, I totally disagree with the "them leaving part next year".....unless one of them completely blows up I just don't see it. Both super talented but far from ready for the draft.....Look at the advice Williams got. He had a tremendous year and was told to stay in school. I think both of these are huge long shots!

It going to come down to things like PER, BPM, ORtg & DRtg, Synergy stats, and other advanced metrics. Rui, especially. The way it is, now.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-24-2017, 12:05 PM
It going to come down to things like PER, BPM, ORtg & DRtg, Synergy stats, and other advanced metrics. Rui, especially. The way it is, now.

Rui would be another great piece for up and coming Bucks. Good article here:
http://http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseBucks/how-giannis-antetokounmpo-bucks-plan-take-warriors (http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseBucks/how-giannis-antetokounmpo-bucks-plan-take-warriors)

Zagdawg
10-25-2017, 11:31 AM
It seems like Oregon is in the mix for every recruit we are targeting.

Will this impact Oregons recruiting?

How Oregon's Title IX Investigation Against Kavell Bigby-Williams Stalled
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/25/oregon-kavell-bigby-williams-title-ix-investigation?utm_campaign=si-ncaabb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Zag_Dad
10-25-2017, 01:50 PM

Will this impact Oregons recruiting?

How Oregon's Title IX Investigation Against Kavell Bigby-Williams Stalled
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/25/oregon-kavell-bigby-williams-title-ix-investigation?utm_campaign=si-ncaabb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

I can't imagine any scenario where Gonzaga would pursue a player that has a pending Rape accusation against them. The fact that Oregon recruited Bigby-Williams (with a rape allegation known to them) on the heels of letting three of their players remain eligible after a rape allegation at Oregon is just mind blowing. How does their fan base justify this? Is winning really more important than integrity? I'm all in favor of due process and "innocent until proven guilty" but according to the SI article, Oregon ignored the protocol and embraced Bigby-Williams despite having full access to the investigation.

Proud to be a Zag fan!

maynard g krebs
10-25-2017, 02:44 PM

247 shows 11 players w/ GU offers for 2018. Richardson is the only one of the 11 that is likely to go to Oregon. Brown, Hepa are on the lists of both, but both had a couple dozen other offers as well.

Oregon's 2017 fr class of Brown, Bailey, Wooten, Kigab- I didn't see any of them listed as having a Zags offer or interest.

The year before, Pritchard, Smith, Cage- I don't remember any of those guys w/ GU offers either.

So Oregon didn't get any fr the last 2 seasons that GU was after.

And of GU's recent signees, Kispert, Ayayi, Norvell, Larson, Wade, Collins, Tillie, Petrusev or the 2019 kids- none of them was on any Oregon lists.

Oregon did get the two grad transfers this year. And that's largely because their entire rotation sans Pritchard either graduated, went to the NBA, or transferred, so their lineup was wide open, while GU had 4 starters pretty much set in stone.

And the Zags did get Clarke.

So this is really a case of perception bias, i.e. noticing the players recruited by both but overlooking/ignoring the numerous cases where there's no overlap. Reality is quite different from what it "seems" to some Zag fans. There's no more crossover w/ Oregon than there is w/ UCLA or Arizona or UW is my guess.

maynard g krebs
10-25-2017, 02:48 PM
I can't imagine any scenario where Gonzaga would pursue a player that has a pending Rape accusation against them. The fact that Oregon recruited Bigby-Williams (with a rape allegation known to them) on the heels of letting three of their players remain eligible after a rape allegation at Oregon is just mind blowing.

Reading comprehension please. This happened in September, after he was enrolled. He had committed months before.

The school that accepted him after this incident is LSU.

Zag_Dad
10-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Reading comprehension please. This happened in September, after he was enrolled. He had committed months before.

The school that accepted him after this incident is LSU.

Fair enough (despite the snarky delivery), however my point was more along the line that UO allowed him to join the team despite the fact that they were aware that he was being investigated for rape. You are correct that LSU is the team who pursued him despite knowing about the issue. In my mind they are both inexcusable acts of choosing “winning” over integrity. Oregon let him play and LSU recruited him.

btzag
10-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Fair enough (despite the snarky delivery), however my point was more along the line that UO allowed him to join the team despite the fact that they were aware that he was being investigated for rape. You are correct that LSU is the team who pursued him despite knowing about the issue. In my mind they are both inexcusable acts of choosing “winning” over integrity. Oregon let him play and LSU recruited him.

Just look the other way, nothing sketchy ever goes on at Nike U. SI obviously has some personal vendetta against them just like the NCAA against UNC and the FBI against Arizona. Kinda weird how these 'issues' keep following these programs but again I'm gonna follow the advice of all my duck friends and just continue to look the other way and celebrate their top 5 classes in both football and men's basketball.

basketballzag
10-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Just look the other way, nothing sketchy ever goes on at Nike U. SI obviously has some personal vendetta against them just like the NCAA against UNC and the FBI against Arizona. Kinda weird how these 'issues' keep following these programs but again I'm gonna follow the advice of all my duck friends and just continue to look the other way and celebrate their top 5 classes in both football and men's basketball.

Difference between Oregon and LSU is that LSU is going to get rid of the player unlike OREGON

maynard g krebs
10-25-2017, 06:44 PM
Fair enough (despite the snarky delivery),

If that's snarky, it's pretty mild, and factual. Your response did, in fact, demonstrate a lack of comprehension of what was written. If you are going to bash a rival, it is, imo, important to be accurate in what you say.

maynard g krebs
10-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Difference between Oregon and LSU is that LSU is going to get rid of the player unlike OREGON

That doesn't mesh w/ the statement of the LSU athletic dept, who said they did thorough due diligence before accepting Bigby-Williams, incl talking to Oregon and the Title IX people.

If after all that they change their mind and tell him to hit the road, it's probably because they've seen him up close now and realize he's not a good basketball player. Which I'd guess is what Oregon did, and encouraged him to leave.

Zag_Dad
10-25-2017, 06:55 PM
If that's snarky, it's pretty mild, and factual. Your response did, in fact, demonstrate a lack of comprehension of what was written. If you are going to bash a rival, it is, imo, important to be accurate in what you say.

To all the University of Oregon fans on this board who took issue with my lack of reading comprehension while I bashed your program, I apologize. For the rest of the Gonzaga fans on this message board, I hope my point was not lost on my over generalization about the sequence of events in the recruiting and play time for a guy accused of rape.

btzag
10-25-2017, 07:29 PM

Maynard why don't you re-read the article and objectively question why the U of O has such an issue in this area even after high profile cases where they have been sued?! I understand you are a fan of the Ducks but this crap is bigger than sports and Altman has consistently failed in this area. He's almost Pitino-lite in my book now...this story plus two other lawsuits in the last 5 years alone.

maynard g krebs
10-25-2017, 10:02 PM
To all the University of Oregon fans on this board who took issue with my lack of reading comprehension while I bashed your program, I apologize. For the rest of the Gonzaga fans on this message board, I hope my point was not lost on my over generalization about the sequence of events in the recruiting and play time for a guy accused of rape.

Well, you certainly win the snark battle. Kudos.

maynard g krebs
10-25-2017, 10:08 PM
Maynard why don't you re-read the article and objectively question why the U of O has such an issue in this area even after high profile cases where they have been sued?! I understand you are a fan of the Ducks but this crap is bigger than sports and Altman has consistently failed in this area. He's almost Pitino-lite in my book now...this story plus two other lawsuits in the last 5 years alone.

I read the article, and it strikes me as yellow journalism. Extremely slanted. I told the story as people in Eugene know it before, as to the girl in the first case, but mods deleted it so no point in wasting key strokes again. If you missed it before deletion, I'll be happy to explain it in a PM.

Dotson was accepted by Houston and drafted by NBA mid second round. NBA might take a chance on a superstar, but they won'd draft a mid second rounder if there's an issue. And there's so much money at stake in terms of public opinion they're gonna be diligent; psychological testing etc. Artis was accepted by UTEP. That clearly should make those schools far worse, right?

Think what you want. Who's worse, Oregon or the Catholic Church? In your opinion, of course.

And, delete. 3.2.1.....

btzag
10-26-2017, 07:20 PM
I read the article, and it strikes me as yellow journalism. Extremely slanted. I told the story as people in Eugene know it before, as to the girl in the first case, but mods deleted it so no point in wasting key strokes again. If you missed it before deletion, I'll be happy to explain it in a PM.

Dotson was accepted by Houston and drafted by NBA mid second round. NBA might take a chance on a superstar, but they won'd draft a mid second rounder if there's an issue. And there's so much money at stake in terms of public opinion they're gonna be diligent; psychological testing etc. Artis was accepted by UTEP. That clearly should make those schools far worse, right?

Think what you want. Who's worse, Oregon or the Catholic Church? In your opinion, of course.

And, delete. 3.2.1.....

Well couple things...justifying any behavior by finding worse behavior is never a good option and I would never operate that way or teach my kids or any others to do that so please stop with that stuff.

Secondly the issue with Oregon was not following proper procedures as an active investigation into serious charges was under way. Actively sticking their heads in the sand so they could win basketball games because if they followed the procedures and temporarily suspended those players it might have cost Altman a win or two. In my opinion his personal morals and priorities are in question. His program got slapped big time with the earlier case and then had another similar issue 2 years later and did the same thing! THEN he gets rid of the problem by shoving KBW out the door and on to the next kid who can get him wins. Again in my opinion the guy is sleezy and just like Pitino follow the pattern until it really blows up in their face.

kitzbuel
10-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Well just leave the summer of 17 now.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk