PDA

View Full Version : Johnathon Williams III Spending His Birthday Working Out for the Raptors

Zags_Fanatic
05-22-2017, 11:20 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/tor/toronto-raptors?ex_cid=espnapi_affiliate_IFTTT

Raptors have one pick in the draft at #23 overall so don't expect it to keep him from returning to Gonzaga, hopefully he is getting some great feedback there.

Edit: I meant I don't expect him to get drafted in the first round, leaving bad phrasing so the rest of this thread makes sense

jazzdelmar
05-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Why not? 23 is about as high as JW3 can get next year as well. It's guaranteed money. He's not a lotto candidate. Not good news. He may be gone.

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Why not? 23 is about as high as JW3 can get next year as well. It's guaranteed money. He's not a lotto candidate. Not good news. He may be gone.

Orrr... he could be back still. Don't see him getting taken first round.

maynard g krebs
05-22-2017, 11:48 AM

Really think he's a possible first rounder? I don't think he gets drafted at all this yr. Just getting feedback imo. Working out w/ a group of 6 players there.

jazzdelmar
05-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Agree. He's not a first rounder. The OP implied 23 was not high enough for him. That's what I responded to. If he were picked 23 he'd be gone, imo.

Zags_Fanatic
05-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Agree. He's not a first rounder. The OP implied 23 was not high enough for him. That's what I responded to. If he were picked 23 he'd be gone, imo.

I meant that there are players above him that I would expect Toronto to take at 23. If he sniffs a guarantee of a first round pick it would probably be in his best interest to go, but I don't see him anywhere near draft boards this year. Going back and reading it I can see why you would have interpreted it that way, bad wording on my part.

jazzdelmar
05-22-2017, 12:16 PM
I meant that there are players above him that I would expect Toronto to take at 23. If he sniffs a guarantee of a first round pick it would probably be in his best interest to go, but I don't see him anywhere near draft boards this year. Going back and reading it I can see why you would have interpreted it that way, bad wording on my part.

Not a prob. I stand corrected and relieved.

btzag
05-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Lots of guys will be staying in the draft who do not have 1st round guarantees, NWG being one of them. Some guys, especially after spending four years in college, are just ready to start a pro career either in the NBA or overseas. I know there has been a ton of speculation that Jwill is coming back but would not be shocked if he chose that route.

zagsfanforlife
05-22-2017, 04:00 PM
He hasnt said he will be back yet?

Let's be real here: very good college player who will be a great college player WHEN he returns next year. He is undersized for his position (PF) and doesnt shoot nearly well enough for the position either. A very good college player who will make a good career in Europe.

btzag
05-22-2017, 04:57 PM
He hasnt said he will be back yet?

Let's be real here: very good college player who will be a great college player WHEN he returns next year. He is undersized for his position (PF) and doesnt shoot nearly well enough for the position either. A very good college player who will make a good career in Europe.

Yes exactly. Just saying it might be logical for a player like that to decide to make some money this year as a pro in Europe instead of playing college hoops. I think he's going to be a great pro for 10+ years.

bartruff1
05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Lots of guys will be staying in the draft who do not have 1st round guarantees, NWG being one of them. Some guys, especially after spending four years in college, are just ready to start a pro career either in the NBA or overseas. I know there has been a ton of speculation that Jwill is coming back but would not be shocked if he chose that route.

Me either....

MDABE80
05-22-2017, 09:35 PM
You guys have GOT to stop this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRe9WS2Ag_c

jazzdelmar
05-22-2017, 11:08 PM
You guys have GOT to stop this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRe9WS2Ag_c

That's the way its lining up Doc. How much higher can his stock get?

thebigsmoove
05-23-2017, 05:15 AM
Well it will all be moot tomorrow, as May 24th is the withdrawal deadline.

btzag
05-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Yes there were lots of guys withdrawing from draft yesterday and already a few this morning. Coming down to the wire for sure.

jazzdelmar
05-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Yes there were lots of guys withdrawing from draft yesterday and already a few this morning. Coming down to the wire for sure.

Angel Delgado of SHU dropped out, the BE's top rebounder. Would think he's a higher pick than JW3.

thebigsmoove
05-23-2017, 06:51 AM
Angel Delgado of SHU dropped out, the BE's top rebounder. Would think he's a higher pick than JW3.

I dont think there was really ever any risk of JW3 staying in this draft. He was just using his allowed time to learn about the draft process. A lot of guys do it. He has never been projected as a draft pick in this class by any of the major mock drafts.

thebigsmoove
05-23-2017, 06:52 AM
If he can play like he did against Xavier during the tourney all season next year? Perhaps he will find his way into the first round of the 2018 draft.

Zagdawg
05-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Denver Stiffs‏Verified account @denverstiffs 15m15 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga's Johnathan Williams worked out for the Nuggets this morning. Says he's still deciding if he'll return to college or stay in draft.

strikenowhere
05-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
More
Gonzaga's Johnathan Williams worked out for the Nuggets this morning. Says he's still deciding if he'll return to college or stay in draft.

Uh-oh

btzag
05-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
More

Like I said earlier in this thread... I don't know why this is a shock? It's one day before the deadline and he's still working out for teams and he's spent four years in college so leaving has to be on his mind. The only assurances we've had are from anonymous posters on this board...

Zags_Fanatic
05-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
More

He has to say that to get workouts and have teams take him seriously. Right?!?!?!?!? Please tell me I'm right.

willandi
05-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Like I said earlier in this thread... I don't know why this is a shock? It's one day before the deadline and he's still working out for teams and he's spent four years in college so leaving has to be on his mind. The only assurances we've had are from anonymous posters on this board...

There was the posted tweet from Silas that he and J3 were going all the way, or something to that effect.

Mr Vulture
05-23-2017, 09:12 AM
I would be absolutely shocked in JWIII stayed in the draft. With that said, there must be a chance he will if he's still working out for teams today. Considering he hasn't hired an agent yet, the fact he wasn't invited to the combine, and is highly unlikely to be drafted....I think he returns to GU still.

Zags_Fanatic
05-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Good news is that we will know very soon one way or the other. Tomorrow is the deadline to remove his name from the draft.

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2017, 09:29 AM

GoZags isn't an "anonymous source".

GoZags
05-23-2017, 09:40 AM
GoZags isn't an "anonymous source".

As you know, one of my favorite expressions is "Nothing is in the bag until it is the bag".

In my opinion the "in the bag" happens when something is made "official".

That being said, I'm still of the belief that J3 comes back .... and while that may be something I'd "heard" .... it certainly isn't "official" ...

Zagger
05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Whatever J3 does .... he'll do it well. Eager to have him stay another season at GU but wish him the best today. If he stays at GU these tryouts are going to add to his overall package as a Zag.

Interesting season this one. Should the Zags make going deep into the NCAAs a regular feature we'll be sitting on pins and needles often with some guys contemplating leaving the team before we'd really like them to as Zag fans. It's going to be a very interesting 2017-2018 with all the newbs to the program. I'm both excited and a bit head spinny!

Colbyspapa
05-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Tomorrow is the deadline for underclassmen to pull out of the NBA draft. (10 days after the combine ends) What do people think JWIII will do?

Zagricultural
05-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Tomorrow is the deadline for underclassmen to pull out of the NBA draft. (10 days after the combine ends) What do people think JWIII will do?

Come back. Crazy not to IMO. He didn't even get an invite to the combine. Hopefully the experience helped him know what to work on, and he becomes a first round pick next year!

jazzdelmar
05-23-2017, 04:07 PM
He can make a living now in Europe. Small shot at NBA D league. Big question, can he get better enough to reach first round in 2018? That's what he's probably asking himself tonight.

Zags_Fanatic
05-23-2017, 04:18 PM
http://youtu.be/r7RffkwJpTQ

ZagNative
05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Very nice. Thanks for posting!

willandi
05-23-2017, 05:59 PM
He can make a living now in Europe. Small shot at NBA D league. Big question, can he get better enough to reach first round in 2018? That's what he's probably asking himself tonight.

Or, how much is a Masters really worth?

MDABE80
05-23-2017, 06:07 PM
He could develop further and have a magnificent year. Hope he stays.

Goshzagit
05-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Not every player reads these boards, yet I know for a fact J3 is one who does...

Fwiw.

Coach Crazy
05-23-2017, 06:42 PM
If he feels it's in his best interest to declare, then he should.

TO J3 (if he actually does read the board):

You have the ability to become proficient in the post, at the next level. Know who to trust, and stay close to that guidance. Be prayerful and let the Lord guide your course. If you can get some guaranteed money, and a chance to develop, and that feels right...then do it. Have faith and move forward.

If you feel you need to come back, then take that course. You owe no one but your Heavenly Father ,your Savior and yourself the best course forward. Either way-Once a Zag, Always a Zag. #ZAG4LIFE #ZAGUP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ekrub
05-23-2017, 06:45 PM

I think he can. He will be more of a featured player this year. I think his jump this year is going to be impressive.

Zagdawg
05-23-2017, 06:57 PM
It sounds like he is getting some good feedback about what he needs to work on--- adding to his tool kit a 3 pt shot (taking more shots) and working on his free throws.

bartruff1
05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
He can improve faster (and get paid for it) in the Pro's...... playing more games against better players and being coached and trained by the people that know what it takes to succeed in that environment....and he can focus almost exclusively on basketball...IMHO of course.

If he wants to go to college or grad school, he can do that at any time in the future, but there are a precious few years that you can play basketball to your potential.

Love to see him play for GU but he should to do what is best for him and his family.

Zagdawg
05-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Remind me-- how many mock draft boards is he on again? Europe is going to be there this year or next year-- but if he can work his way into the draft next year with a solid year while improving on the areas where he has been advised to work on. I think there are 28-30 PF ahead of him in the draft and he ranks at #98 out of the top 100 players this year.

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Next year he is showing as the #57 pick in the draft --- but with a good year has a lot of room to move up (15 PF ahead of him right now). With the way the team is laid out for next year he could average 16 and 9-10 boards and give himself a good boost up the board.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

TravelinZag
05-23-2017, 07:22 PM
'Bye. The blows just keep on coming.

Coach Crazy
05-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Remind me-- how many mock draft boards is he on again? Europe is going to be there this year or next year-- but if he can work his way into the draft next year with a solid year while improving on the areas where he has been advised to work on. I think there are 28-30 PF ahead of him in the draft and he ranks at #98 out of the top 100 players this year.

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Next year he is showing as the #57 pick in the draft --- but with a good year has a lot of room to move up (15 PF ahead of him right now). With the way the team is laid out for next year he could average 16 and 9-10 boards and give himself a good boost up the board.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

You're going to run into issues with going primarily off of draft boards, in some situations. They won't always reflect current thinking of scouts and exec's, or sometimes won't until that thinking is more definitive.

He could very well be seen by a scout or exec that thinks they can take this kid and turn him into a steal of a pickup. He could even be hearing that he's going to get guaranteed money as a UFA and a chance to play a role on a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worthington
05-23-2017, 08:33 PM
JW3 was completely overshadowed this year by our other guys in terms of national spotlight. It really was a 3 headed monster with him, Karnowski, and Collins (And Tillie to a lesser extent), but the attention was not divided evenly. He simply had no buzz going into this draft process.

If he comes back next year, all eyes are going to be on him and he should be able to post some head-turning stats. He might have a chance at playing himself into the first round next year if he can improve his jump shot and show scouts a consistent three pointer. Even if he's not a first rounder after another season, he will almost certainly improve his draft stock by showing he can shoulder a greater load, and should be able to greatly increase his professional playing opportunities, both state-side and in Europe.

MDABE80
05-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Pretty far down. But if he shows well, who knows. I think his shooting could use work...3's and past the elbow. Defense, speed, lateral movement all could use work.
We'll see soon enough. Even if he withdraws from this draft, he can still head to Europe or something akin. We're not safe untill he says we are. Not much has been hear from the coaching staff since April 3. I wonder what they're thinking...

Hoopaholic
05-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Pretty far down. But if he shows well, who knows. I think his shooting could use work...3's and past the elbow. Defense, speed, lateral movement all could use work.
We'll see soon enough. Even if he withdraws from this draft, he can still head to Europe or something akin. We're not safe untill he says we are. Not much has been hear from the coaching staff since April 3. I wonder what they're thinking...

Agree with extended shooting range

Absolutely disagree defense, speed and lateral quickness need work.

WallaWallaZag
05-23-2017, 11:54 PM

this...it's his ability to guard smaller players that is even getting him looks now...

jazzdelmar
05-24-2017, 03:14 AM
'Bye. The blows just keep on coming.

Feels that way, Trav.

Bogozags
05-24-2017, 03:50 AM

Outside and FT shooting needs lots of work...just so inconsistent so far.

He has the defence locked down...

Besides shooting, he needs to work on using his right hand much more often and one more thought, he would be much more of a threat inside when he is on the block and catches the ball, to just immediately re-act instead of thinking about what he wants to do...PK learned this between his junior and senior years, which is why he was so difficult to defend last season...

I will say that if he stays in the draft and is taken, that experience would be better for him overall than staying in school, BECAUSE of the personal coaching he would receive from that team's staff. He has skills it is just if they have developed enough for a team to take a chance on him...

AND am guessing he is being looked at as a SF more than a PF

hooter73
05-24-2017, 07:17 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/blake-griffins-advice-to-college-stars-dont-rush/

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Come back, J3. Lead us.

You were the most outstanding player of the West region on a loaded team. Next year is your opportunity to grow as a leader and be the one the rest of the bigs look up to.

GU Nation believes in you and Silas as the next great Senior tandem!

Zagdawg
05-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 1m1 minute ago
More
Gonzaga's Johnathan Williams withdrawing from draft, will return for senior season.

Alum08
05-24-2017, 08:10 AM
Hooray!

23dpg
05-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 1m1 minute ago
More
Gonzaga's Johnathan Williams withdrawing from draft, will return for senior season.

Sweet! It seems like it was a tough decision. I supported either choice for him but I'm very happy he's back.

77Zag
05-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Bam -- we will rock on!

jazzdelmar
05-24-2017, 08:17 AM
This deserves a new thread, Mods.

btzag
05-24-2017, 08:23 AM
BIG sigh of relief on this one...excited to see him dominate his senior year!

JPtheBeasta
05-24-2017, 08:34 AM
TRisnis good for the Zags. Very good. I am sorry that his NBA dream isn't a reality yet. I was fighting my selfish desire of wanting him to come back next year and trying to support him in getting to the next level. This will be the year when he is able to showcase his talents- which for me really just amounts to being hungrier to score and rebound out there. I think he has all of the physical gifts a guy like him could want.

LongIslandZagFan
05-24-2017, 08:37 AM
He's back.

Zagdawg
05-24-2017, 08:42 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/24/johnathan-williams-withdraws-from-nba-draft-will-r/

Zagquette
05-24-2017, 08:43 AM
POY in WCC is not out of the question.

Hoopaholic
05-24-2017, 08:48 AM
POY in WCC is not out of the question.

agree

Zagdawg
05-24-2017, 08:53 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/05/24/gonzaga-to-return-johnathan-williams-iii/

Markburn1
05-24-2017, 08:58 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/blake-griffins-advice-to-college-stars-dont-rush/

That was the right decision for Blake. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision for anybody else. Wildly different circumstances exist for each and every player.

Markburn1
05-24-2017, 09:00 AM
The faith is strong in this one. God Bless you JWIII. Looking forward to watching you play at Zaga again.

TexasZagFan
05-24-2017, 09:01 AM
It's now confirmed that half of our rotation will be back, with the potential for a 10 man rotation, based on our roster. WCC will be a two bid conference for sure.

GoZags
05-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Feels that way, Trav.

Actually, I feel that the future's pretty bright .... and that was before I knew todays' wonderful news was "official".

TexasZagFan
05-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Actually, I feel that the future's pretty bright .... and that was before I knew todays' wonderful news was "official".

First time I've ever done this, but I'm starting to worry about 2018-2019. There's going to be humongous turnover after the 2017-2018 season.