PDA

View Full Version : Warm up game - Incarnate Word non-conf. opponent

Zagdawg
05-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago
Gonzaga will host Incarnate Word as part of its 2017-18 non-conference schedule, per a source.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals

TravelinZag
05-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Why? Unless an exhibition, will be a drag of BPI/RPI all year; finished 7-11 in a nothing conference last year. Understand they recently upgraded to D-1, but even so, what do they bring to the table for schedule?

bartruff1
05-21-2017, 09:09 AM
groan....you can't blame the WCC for this ...

baitcast
05-21-2017, 09:22 AM

What is that?
Rob

gonzagafan62
05-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Can't go out there and play all top notch competition every single game. Need these games for all the fresh faces we will see

bartruff1
05-21-2017, 11:22 AM
If you are going to schedule a cup cake....I would rather see them play Eastern, Central or even Whitworth..... at least a team from Washington State or the Northwest rather than send that money to Texas...

Outraged
05-21-2017, 11:57 AM
If you are going to schedule a cup cake....I would rather see them play Eastern, Central or even Whitworth..... at least a team from Washington State or the Northwest rather than send that money to Texas...

I don't know I think with the new team we need some warmups to get the offense clicking or to rest between roadtrips/tournaments. It worked for us last year. Granted you must look at the total body of games.

TravelinZag
05-21-2017, 10:32 PM
"Cupcake," "warmup," not "top notch," etc. -- no need to stoop to sub-300. Plenty available in the 100-200 range. Self-inflicted injury for some reason not apparent reason.

Bogozags
05-22-2017, 02:52 AM
I think it would be very interesting to find out who actually schedules games for MBB and how much influence Coach Few has in this process. I also wonder why GU just doesn't play in state teams as mentioned above. Seems there might be a reason to play a team from San Antonio...maybe for recruiting purposes?

gonzagafan62
05-22-2017, 05:06 AM
"Cupcake," "warmup," not "top notch," etc. -- no need to stoop to sub-300. Plenty available in the 100-200 range. Self-inflicted injury for some reason not apparent reason.

One 300+ game won't hurt you.... it's when you start getting past three

509er
05-22-2017, 05:08 AM
I think it would be very interesting to find out who actually schedules games for MBB and how much influence Coach Few has in this process. I also wonder why GU just doesn't play in state teams as mentioned above. Seems there might be a reason to play a team from San Antonio...maybe for recruiting purposes?

I'd be shocked if Few isn't heavily involved with scheduling, at least from a macro level in who they play and where.

Speaking of scheduling games for recruiting purposes I wonder if they've ever considered playing an non conference game in Europe or Canada?

GoZags
05-22-2017, 05:13 AM
I'd be shocked if Few isn't heavily involved with scheduling, at least from a macro level in who they play and where.

Speaking of scheduling games for recruiting purposes I wonder if they've ever considered playing an non conference game in Europe or Canada?

http://www.gettyimages.com/event/basketball-classic-gonzaga-v-hawaii-129286139#marquise-carter-of-the-gonzaga-bulldogs-drives-to-the-net-in-front-of-picture-id133539856

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2017, 05:25 AM
Zags are in P80. OOC is going to be solid... even with this game... why are we griping about this?

TheGonzagaFactor
05-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Zags are in P80. OOC is going to be solid... even with this game... why are we griping about this?

Agreed. It's likely that we will see 3 quality opponents in Portland + 2 true road games @ SDSU and UW and a neutral-away game in NYC against Villanova. 6 quality games + 6 cupcakes is fine for an OOC schedule, especially with the lack of experience this team will have. Wouldn't be surprised to see us add another decent home or neutral game anyway.

To those wanting to play an in state school like EWU -- why? We almost lost to them last time we played and it's rare that their metrics are good. A loss to EWU/CWU/Seattle would be devastating. If we want to distance ourselves further from the Seattle talent market, a loss to an in state cupcake would sure be a good way to do it.

bartruff1
05-22-2017, 05:54 AM

Well the Director of Basketball Operations....Doc Krause used to....John Jakus did...but in the end, I can't believe that Mark doesn't approve each game.

I will ask, but I am not exactly on Steve Hertz's speed dial...

thebigsmoove
05-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Agreed. It's likely that we will see 3 quality opponents in Portland + 2 true road games @ SDSU and UW and a neutral-away game in NYC against Villanova.

We also have California on the schedule next year too.

CDC84
05-22-2017, 06:08 AM

Those 100-200 teams require a bigger pay out. The intention of these games, other than to give GU a breather after a string of really tough games, is to make as much money as humanly possible for the program. If it hurts the RPI, the program is willing to take the hit.

Nobody wants to talk about money. It is about money.

Personally, I like the idea of playing Montana St.-Billings because the pay out is cheap and it doesn't count against your RPI. I would schedule a D-2 or NAIA team every season.

willandi
05-22-2017, 06:13 AM
Zag Nation Retweeted
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago
Gonzaga will host Incarnate Word as part of its 2017-18 non-conference schedule, per a source.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals

Why? Unless an exhibition, will be a drag of BPI/RPI all year; finished 7-11 in a nothing conference last year. Understand they recently upgraded to D-1, but even so, what do they bring to the table for schedule?

Isn't there a blessing from God included?

thebigsmoove
05-22-2017, 06:17 AM
I believe our Non conference Schedule looks like this so far:

http://i63.tinypic.com/r0z6e1.jpg

realtydog
05-22-2017, 07:25 AM
To those wanting to play an in state school like EWU -- why? We almost lost to them last time we played and it's rare that their metrics are good. A loss to EWU/CWU/Seattle would be devastating. If we want to distance ourselves further from the Seattle talent market, a loss to an in state cupcake would sure be a good way to do it.

funny how things change sometimes....substitute EWU for GU and the words sounds exactly like the argument the Pac 10 had against us (my friends at UW said the same damn thing to me)-------I remember making this argument in the early 90's as a student at GU...why can't we play Oregon,,,,UW,,,,Oregon State???? I guess we've come full circle...kinda sad

509er
05-22-2017, 08:16 AM
I remember Ralph Miller bringing his very good Oregon State team from the late 70s with Steve Johnson and gang into the old Kennel. They were likely doing GU a favor back then. Now I'd be shocked if OSU could get a home and home with GU.

Times have certainly changed.

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2017, 08:19 AM
funny how things change sometimes....substitute EWU for GU and the words sounds exactly like the argument the Pac 10 had against us (my friends at UW said the same damn thing to me)-------I remember making this argument in the early 90's as a student at GU...why can't we play Oregon,,,,UW,,,,Oregon State???? I guess we've come full circle...kinda sad

Actually, it's not the same argument. Huskies, Ducks, etc all have the luxury of the P12 schedules to raise their RPIs... with the WCC expansion the Zags have far less wiggle room. They are going to take a couple low RPI warm-up/breather games, but don't have the flexibility to pick up many more middling to lower half RPI games. They need to maximize their OOC. This is more a direct reflection of the loss of 2 OOC games to the WCC expansion.

seacatfan
05-22-2017, 08:23 AM
I can't believe CWU (my alma mater) got a mention! Only possible scenario I could see for GU playing them would be as an exhibition game.

I agree w/ a previous poster. If GU is now scared to play the likes of EWU or Seattle U., it's not a good look for the Zags, and hypocritical. It has come full circle.

seacatfan
05-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Actually, it's not the same argument. Huskies, Ducks, etc all have the luxury of the P12 schedules to raise their RPIs... with the WCC expansion the Zags have far less wiggle room. They are going to take a couple low RPI warm-up/breather games, but don't have the flexibility to pick up many more middling to lower half RPI games. They need to maximize their OOC. This is more a direct reflection of the loss of 2 OOC games to the WCC expansion.

Right, but again why use up one of those few games they can schedule against a nobody like Incarnate Word w/ zero regional interest?

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2017, 08:27 AM
I can't believe CWU (my alma mater) got a mention! Only possible scenario I could see for GU playing them would be as an exhibition game.

I agree w/ a previous poster. If GU is now scared to play the likes of EWU or Seattle U., it's not a good look for the Zags, and hypocritical. It has come full circle.

Don't think it has a single thing to do with fear. There is just very little room for lower tier RPIs. Ask yourself... would you like to add two more lower tier WCC games to the schedule? Because that is what it would be equivalent to. It is an issue of maximization of their RPI potential... allowing for some money to be made as CDC alluded to.

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Right, but again why use up one of those few games they can schedule against a nobody like Incarnate Word w/ zero regional interest?

They are always going to have 1-2 games like that. They make money and pose little risk. These kind of games, early in the season, have ALWAYS been on the schedule. Even when they played EWU... there were always a couple of very low RPI games on the schedule. TBH... in the past there was 4 games or so of weaker opponents (EWU and some other Big Sky type team), now it tends to be 2... with the expansion 2 of the four disappeared.

thebigsmoove
05-22-2017, 08:32 AM

I always feel like that excuse is somewhat of a cop out, We play 18 Conference regular season games a year, same as pretty much everybody. One thing i cant explain, why were we 1 short on our OOC games last year? We ended up with 33 pre tourney games, most majors get 34...weird.

realtydog
05-22-2017, 09:11 AM

I suppose you missed my earlier point -----------all I was trying to convey was that there was a time when we would have liked to schedule up but some teams were shy to play GU for fear of the disappointing "bad look" loss ---and now (as mentioned in the post I commented on)---fans here state the inverse of those times ----had nothing to do with Pac 10/12 --- had to do with -----now we are the "big boy" feeling we can't risk a loss to a NW school that could have a great night and beat us------simply fans perspective

Markburn1
05-22-2017, 09:41 AM
There are a lot of reasons for games like this. One that is rarely mentioned is the opportunity to go deeper into the bench in order to see what might be useful in the remainder of the season. Gives some of those guys a look that very well could result in some meaningful minutes for them. It's happened before.

sittingon50
05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
I wonder if EWU might get back in the discussion? I believe (one) reason they stopped playing was because of Few's friendship with Hayford. Hayford has moved on. His Asst. was promoted (Liggins?), whom I believe was once recruited by GU coming out of HS from Calif. Perhaps someone with a little more background can straighten me out on that.

bartruff1
05-22-2017, 10:18 AM
A disappointing number of non sequiturs for a college board...

Bogozags
05-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Well the Director of Basketball Operations....Doc Krause used to....John Jakus did...but in the end, I can't believe that Mark doesn't approve each game.

I will ask, but I am not exactly on Steve Hertz's speed dial...

Bart

Thanks for the response and do let me know what, if anything you hear...

PS: I am not on Steve's speed dial either, so don't feel too bad! :D

CDC84
05-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Beware of schools with interesting names...

I remember when people used to laugh at NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology).

That was until they beat Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr67VZziHu4

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Here's what I don't get.

Why not schedule a team that's gonna dominate a terrible conference? Would still pose virtually no risk of a loss, but at least they'd have a good winning percentage (which is the #1 factor in the RPI).

Maybe Incarnate Word IS that team....but doesn't seem like it. New Orleans, on the other hand, who won the Southland last year...wouldn't be an RPI killer and would still have less than a 1% chance of beating GU in the Kennel.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-23-2017, 03:09 PM
I always feel like that excuse is somewhat of a cop out, We play 18 Conference regular season games a year, same as pretty much everybody. One thing i cant explain, why were we 1 short on our OOC games last year? We ended up with 33 pre tourney games, most majors get 34...weird.

I've been wondering this, too.

Anyone got any insight?

Norwester
05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
I've been wondering this, too.

Anyone got any insight?

Cancellation of the Battle in Seattle.

spike_jr
05-23-2017, 04:30 PM

Pretty pathetic home schedule so far......

Zagineer
05-23-2017, 05:05 PM

There's a Bluejays vs Zags thread.

"Jim Meehan‏
@SRJimm

Following
More
Gonzaga and Creighton have agreed to a home-and-home series, sources said. Bluejays expected to visit Zags this season."

Still needs to be confirmed?

ZagzKrak
05-23-2017, 05:23 PM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/5/22/15676386/gonzaga-bulldogs-2017-18-schedule-creighton-bluejays

Are we sure we have Cal? This article says only one Pac12 school this year so far and that it's UW

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-23-2017, 08:02 PM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/5/22/15676386/gonzaga-bulldogs-2017-18-schedule-creighton-bluejays

Are we sure we have Cal? This article says only one Pac12 school this year so far and that it's UW

Pretty sure the series with Cal was replaced by the series with San Diego St.

Bogozags
05-24-2017, 04:04 AM
Pretty sure the series with Cal was replaced by the series with San Diego St.

You could well be right but thought I read that due to Matthews playing for GU last season, the series wouldn't begin until 2017...

TravelinZag
05-24-2017, 07:54 AM
You could well be right but thought I read that due to Matthews playing for GU last season, the series wouldn't begin until 2017...

So Matthews exploring pro options (you don't really talk think he's coming back) has cost the Zags an out-of-conference opponent for next season, a schedule so full of holes we're scheduling teams which have failed as D-1 contributors. Thanks so very much, JWIII!

Markburn1
05-24-2017, 09:12 AM
So Matthews exploring pro options (you don't really talk think he's coming back) has cost the Zags an out-of-conference opponent for next season, a schedule so full of holes we're scheduling teams which have failed as D-1 contributors. Thanks so very much, JWIII!

Either you need to explain your thinking or retract your comment. Matthews graduated. JWIII is not mentioned in the thread you responded to. Very confusing. And JWIII doesn't owe anything to anyone here.

sittingon50
05-24-2017, 11:21 AM

:confused:

Zagger
05-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Exactly!

TexasZagFan
05-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Exactly!

Why all the Texas bashing? :(

sittingon50
05-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Why all the Texas bashing? :(

Because it's a BIG target?