PDA

View Full Version : Torn ACL Likely Ends Adam's Season

ZagNative
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/328487.html)

The MRI revealed a partial to complete tear of the ligament, the team said Sunday before the Bobcats' preseason matchup with the Phoenix Suns. Morrison was scheduled to fly back to Charlotte on the team plane, then be examined Monday by Dr. Glenn Perry, the team physician.

Crum ...:(

gamagin
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
get well, soon, Ammo.

kitzbuel
10-21-2007, 03:48 PM
I hope he keeps the attitude that he was showing and talking about in this preseason. He will need it to get through this and come back strong. He is the kind of guy who seems to like bucking adversity, so hopefully he will come through this as strong as ever. (I bet his Halo gets a heck of a lot better this season).

Bocco
10-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Crum ...:(
my sentiments exactly, here's hoping for a speedy recovery

MDABE80
10-21-2007, 04:49 PM
There's a lot of experience with this injury these days. It'll take some time, good surgery and a pretty long rehab BUT (and this is the good part) if he doesn't do something wrong, it should heal fine. He's young. Good idea for him to follow directions. If he doesn't, all bets are off. Hope he listens.

HOOTER
10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
That freakin stinks! Basketball is Adam's life. I wonder how he's going to handle not being able to play this season. Hopefully he can overcome the frustration and recover quickly.

cbbfanatic
10-21-2007, 05:52 PM
they say an acl injury usually recovers well, but guys often lose their explosive speed and jumping ability.

luckily for morrison, these things are not what made him the basketball player that he is. he should be fine, but a tough, tough setback for the kid who really had a lot to prove this year, and seemed eager and able to prove it

ZagMan in Philly
10-21-2007, 05:57 PM
My weekend was going good until I found out about this. Get well soon Adam.

GreenStreetElite
10-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Well now I have no reason to watch the NBA this years...okay maybe catch the LA teams some

lawzag
10-21-2007, 06:10 PM
get well, soon, Ammo.

my sentiments exactly!

dim4sum
10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Diabetics are slow to heal. An acl may knock a player out for a season, but in Adam's case, recovery could take longer. An acl can, in fact, be a career-ending injury. It can't be minimized with wishful thinking. Let's hope the diagnosis is something less severe.

Rubbadub
10-21-2007, 06:50 PM
I was just about to order League Pass too...glad i was lazy and waited a few days.

MacZag
10-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Long time lurker, first time posting. I can only hope that Adam can have successful reconstructive surgery to repair his ACL. I understand it will take time for him to heal properly, but the diabetes doesn't necessarily have to be a problem; with good glucose control, proper nutrition, and the motivation he has shown to make it to where he is today this will hopefully just be a bump in the road. Many things will determine the outcome of his injury and its final impact on him, such as the injury itself, the rehab process and, surgeon finesse. The whole thing was hard to watch last night.

Rubbadub
10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
good first post. welcome to the board, or just welcome to posting i guess! :)

Nevtelen
10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Man, tough break. Best wishes to Ammo that he has a full recovery. I agree with cbbfanatic that, while this is still a horrible injury and not a good thing, Adam might be affected less than some players since his game is not based on great athelticism.

Snagglezag
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
That freakin stinks! Basketball is Adam's life. I wonder how he's going to handle not being able to play this season. Hopefully he can overcome the frustration and recover quickly.

Halo 3 should help.

gamagin
10-21-2007, 10:50 PM
And I didn't stay at the holiday inn over the weekend . . .but krem must have shown the adam-lakers injury clip 10 times Sun night and I came away more hopeful than I was before I saw it.

The tape showed adam near the bottom of the key when he suddenly planted his left foot, or shifted from right to left. It was at the planting that his left foot suddenly slid forward on the floor-- as if he'd planted on a wet spot -- and he appeared to fall down.

The announcer didn't say whether it was the left or right knee, but from the tape, it looked like the hyperextension and crooked landing strained the left knee.

It occurred to me that he didn't slam it on the floor, nor did it look like his body weight fell towards that left knee, either.

So even though I'm no expert, it seemed like this injury just might be less serious than a torn acl, given the way it happened.

My vote, given he appeared to be slipping versus the knee collapsing, is he hyperextended his knee when he planted the foot and it slid forward.

We'll know soon enough, but that's the way it looked to this amateur.

I hope that's the way it turns out, too, for his sake.

zzzjag
10-22-2007, 07:46 AM
That stinks! Hoping for the best news and speedy recovery. Reports this am on Yahoo talk about a Tear.

Oregon Zag
10-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Adam, Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

DrDrivel
10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
A whole lot of points here:

I watched the game live on a giant HDTV in LA with all my most Laker-loving friends. We are all GU people and NBA people and Lakers people and so the game, even though preseason, was somewhat anticipated. That put a kink in things because I truly thought the coaching change was going to make a difference for Adam and because he'd been taking the ball to the basket a bunch in the early going and looking like the sort of Adam we remember.

Second, ACL injuries used to be a big issue, but to think of them as career-threatening to a player of Adam's style and particular skill-set is a little behind the times.

Third, get League Pass anyway and join a fantasy league and watch the NBA. Support it and the product will get better in time. This is what I don't get about the anti-NBA mindset I see so much around here. Kids are growing up with a lot of competition for sports attention. I'm talking about the sports they play and devote themselves to. If you really love basketball, then doesn't it make sense to promote the game so that you get a continuous stream of young, motivated, athletic players who love the game of basketball? The best way to do that is not to shun the league, but to make it exciting again. Let's see the best athletes in the world flying all over the court. Let's see the beauty of a well-designed offense. It really is a better game, even if you're a stuffy traditionalist. All it's lacking is the passion and intensity of the college game... so support it. Make it your own. Stop looking down on the NBA.

FuManShoes
10-23-2007, 09:26 PM
This from the Charlotte Observer:

Morrison will go through at least three weeks of rehabilitation to reduce the swelling in his left knee before undergoing surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament he tore Saturday night.

The Bobcats say doctors will be particularly cautious in reducing that swelling pre-surgery, because Morrison is a diabetic and therefore more susceptible to infection.

Some thoughts:
-I really, really hope Ammo finds a good doc, gets 2nd and 3rd opinions and all the rest. I know ACLs are getting torn and patched up all the time, but all docs aren't created equally and the Bobcats have had enough injuries and re-injuries to make me wonder about that staff.

-This whole thing is such a bummer. I know no one feels worse than Ammo and his family and close friends, but as a fan the whole thing just stinks. Here was a player who despite diabetes and less-than-stellar NBA athleticism has made it to the league. Once there he gets dumped on by people who seem to be waiting for/hoping for him to fail. The amount of vitriol he endured by opposing fans and certain members of the press (that's you, Mr. Hollinger), was pretty shocking at times. So I was really pulling for Ammo and know he had worked his ass off to get a fresh start. And now this.

--If there's a bright side, it's that this is Ammo. The dude has already had to overcome a ton of stuff just to live a normal life, let alone become an NBA lottery pick. If anyone can make a strong recovery, it's Ammo.

--He should call this guy: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3024046

--We're pulling for you, Ammo. Get well and make us proud.

Nevtelen
10-23-2007, 09:45 PM
This from the Charlotte Observer:

Some thoughts:
-I really, really hope Ammo finds a good doc, gets 2nd and 3rd opinions and all the rest. I know ACLs are getting torn and patched up all the time, but all docs aren't created equally and the Bobcats have had enough injuries and re-injuries to make me wonder about that staff.

-This whole thing is such a bummer. I know no one feels worse than Ammo and his family and close friends, but as a fan the whole thing just stinks. Here was a player who despite diabetes and less-than-stellar NBA athleticism has made it to the league. Once there he gets dumped on by people who seem to be waiting for/hoping for him to fail. The amount of vitriol he endured by opposing fans and certain members of the press (that's you, Mr. Hollinger), was pretty shocking at times. So I was really pulling for Ammo and know he had worked his ass off to get a fresh start. And now this.

--If there's a bright side, it's that this is Ammo. The dude has already had to overcome a ton of stuff just to live a normal life, let alone become an NBA lottery pick. If anyone can make a strong recovery, it's Ammo.

--He should call this guy: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3024046

--We're pulling for you, Ammo. Get well and make us proud.

Great post. If ever there was a player who had the sheer contrariness and will to pull through this, it's Ammo. I do hope the docs are good and know their stuff.

ZagNative
10-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Ditto. Nice post, FuMan.

UberZagFan
10-23-2007, 10:31 PM
This still sucks.

zzzjag
10-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I love the NBA...period. However, I really, really love GU Basketball the best! The only reason I had the League pass was to follow Ammo and the Bobcats. Although TNT and ESPN show more then enough games for a father of 3 who doesn't have alot of spare time, they only showed the Bobcats once, last Nov on TNT.

I watched every game last year and was planning on doing so this year. Luckily, I get Fox Sports West and will see Ronny and Dan D this season.

Hoping for a speedy recovery and rehab for our man Ammo!