PDA

View Full Version : Norris to Oregon... Zags were after?

jazzdelmar
05-11-2017, 03:05 AM
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/high-school-preps/sd-sp-preps-miles-norris-20170510-story.html

On Wednesday, Oregon landed its first commitment of the 2018 recruiting class, as Rivals five-star power forward Miles Norris#announced his commitment to Oregon over fellow finalists Arizona, Gonzaga, San Diego State and UCLA:

The 6-foot-9, 190-pound big man, out of Helix High School (San Diego, California), took two unofficial visits to Eugene, but said Oregon's style of play was a major factor in his decision.

"I chose (Oregon) because it felt like an overall perfect fit for me on and off the court as well," Norris said. "I feel like I'm going to excel in the style of play and love the overall culture and atmosphere of the school."

Here's what Scout had to say about Norris' game:

"Norris is a talented power forward who still has a long way to go physically, but his broad shoulders give reason to believe that his currently slight frame will end up holding a lot of weight. He has a definite plus skill in his rebounding ability; he's terrific on both the offensive and defensive glass, especially given how much weight he currently gives up. He has a nice feel as a shot blocker and finishes around the basket."
Over the past two seasons, Oregon#has seen a rise to national prominence, upending Duke to reach the Elite Eight before a Final Four run this year.

That success has translated to significant wins on the recruiting trail as well.

In the class of 2015, Dana Altman signed five-star shooting guard Tyler Dorsey and junior college national player of the year Chris Boucher, then followed it up by inking West Linn point guard Payton Pritchard, the four-time state champion and three-time state player of the year.
Emerging as a national power, Oregon took a step forward in the 2017 recruiting class, signing five-star point forward Troy Brown Jr., battling for five-star prospects Brandon McCoy (UNLV) and Brian Bowen (undecided)#and signing a trio of highly-rated four-star pledges in Abu Kigab, V.J. Bailey and Kenny Wooten Jr.

With Norris, Altman sends a strong message that the Ducks intend to be a national player on the college basketball scene for years to come.

509er
05-11-2017, 04:36 AM
Says he was down to GU,SDSU,UCLA, Az and Oregon. I'm surprised GU hasnt had more success recruiting Cali. Austin Daye comes to mind but am drawing a blank after that. Seems like a natural with so many of the wcc schools there so that friends and family would have more opportunity to see them play.

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Makes us an almost lock for Hepa now. Hepa is the better player of the two so it actually works out to our benefit.

sittingon50
05-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Hope you're right, spy.

MDABE80
05-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Makes us an almost lock for Hepa now. Hepa is the better player of the two so it actually works out to our benefit.

Saying a lot Spy. You certain??

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Saying a lot Spy. You certain??

Certain? Nope, just a educated opinion.

SageOfZagville
05-11-2017, 10:42 AM
I heard Patchin and Lukens talking about this guy two days ago. They quoted Jim Meehan as saying the Zags were not pursuing him and that he maybe just threw the ZAGS name out there because we are a top program and it looks better. Does anyone actually know if we offered this quy?

sittingon50
05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Zags were NOT among the 16 teams listed on the Scout Hoops site.

maynard g krebs
05-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Norris is a very similar player to Chris Boucher, and Ducks sold him on that he'd be used in a similar way to how they used Boucher. Sounds like he was down to Oregon and Arizona.

And some Duck insiders have suggested that Hepa is likely to be a Zag. Might be best fit for both players.

jazzdelmar
05-11-2017, 11:52 AM
who's Hepa?

maynard g krebs
05-11-2017, 11:55 AM
who's Hepa?

Kamaka Hepa, 6'8 or 9 stretch 4, ranked 30ish in his class, plays for Portland Jefferson (Melson) after moving from Barrow, AK last year.

jazzdelmar
05-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Kamaka Hepa, 6'8 or 9 stretch 4, ranked 30ish in his class, plays for Portland Jefferson (Melson) after moving from Barrow, AK last year.

Thx. Sounds like a better prospect to me...doesn't Dook get all the AK guys?

webspinnre
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Thx. Sounds like a better prospect to me...doesn't Dook get all the AK guys?

Maybe now that he's in Oregon it's different? ;) I know they got both Langdon and Boozer (who I went to HS with).

madness
05-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Hepa would be a game changer for Zags...capability to lead GU to another FF (IMO)

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
who's Hepa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crz8aQjSWUU

MDABE80
05-11-2017, 03:11 PM
HE'S SOMETHIN TO SEE. i DO HOPE WE GET HIM. Dana's got this thing called Nike wherein he can get anything he wants. FF this year and do they ever lose a prized recruit? I can't remember if he ever has.

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2017, 03:39 PM
The thing about Hepa is that he is Filipino and the Philippines is the largest Catholic nation in the world, so odds are that he's Catholic so that should work in our favor as well

maynard g krebs
05-11-2017, 06:37 PM
HE'S SOMETHIN TO SEE. i DO HOPE WE GET HIM. Dana's got this thing called Nike wherein he can get anything he wants. FF this year and do they ever lose a prized recruit? I can't remember if he ever has.

Just lost McCoy to UNLV a couple weeks ago; all the 247 CBers had Oregon as a done deal. Altman hasn't had a 5 star yet; when Troy Brown comes in this fall he'll be the first one, and he's been trying to recruit those guys for 7 years. The Nike money helps, of course, but it's just starting to level the playing field w/ Arizona and UCLA, each of whom gets 5 stars by the handful.

cjm720
05-11-2017, 07:26 PM
I have a good feeling about Hepa being a Zag...

ProVeeZag
05-11-2017, 08:19 PM
who's Hepa?

No relation to the guy who invented the air filter (that bears his name).

TexasZag
05-12-2017, 04:19 AM
No relation to the guy who invented the air filter (that bears his name).

That's one hell of a last name (High Efficiency Particulate Air). I can see why he shortened it to HEPA!

CDC84
05-14-2017, 04:06 AM
Hepa was at GU's game vs. Portland this past season. There is a photo floating around the internet. I would imagine Silas has been working on him coming from the same high school and all. People underestimate how much current and ex-players play a factor in recruiting.