PDA

View Full Version : Olney: Fight to the ... tie? Extra innings moving toward extinction

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 10:59 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16653/olney-fight-to-the-tie-extra-innings-moving-toward-extinction

So now there's a move afoot to eliminate extra inning games? Count me out...

One thing's for sure, there will never be another game like the Marichal-Spahn duel of 7/2/1963. Willie Mays hit a home run in the bottom of the 16th to win the game, 1-0. Both starting pitchers threw complete games, and Warren Spahn was a sprightly 42 years of age.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vRklPoEQci4/U7OULt--AJI/AAAAAAAAFEM/-NeZnUu_4Tk/s1600/!!Marichal_Spahn_63Duel_OTD.jpg

CDC84
05-30-2017, 12:18 AM
There are so many other things they can do to speed up the game of baseball. Like a pitch timer behind the umpire, a timer on the amount of pitches a starter or reliever can toss (except when a pitcher leaves due to injury) between innings or when a pitcher is taken out, a rule that the batter has to remain in the box at all times (and building a box that is made with rubber like home plate so that batters cannot wipe out the chalk), set a limit on the amount of times a pitcher can be visited by a catcher in an inning, have the umpires call the rule book strike zone instead of their own strike zone (and fire those umps who don't follow the rule book). (I still hold my dream of a computer guided laser strike zone, where umps, when it comes to balls and strikes, are nothing more than actors), and most all, speed up instant replay if they insist on having it. IR is easier in baseball than in any other sport. It takes way too much time.

The above story affirms what I have said all along....the specialization of pitchers in baseball has caused increased pitcher injuries. It used to be normal for starters to throw both ends of a double header and drink all night in the bar. Now I don't advise that modern day pitchers do this, but this is the consequence of having a league with insane $250 million contracts. Everyone is scared. Pitchers throwing more innings would result in less pitching changes, which is yet another thing that slows the game down.

They can throw all the stats they want at me, but nothing is going to convince me that if the right-handed hitting 7th man in the order were forced to hit righties all the time that his batting average vs. righties wouldn't increase significantly. When I was a player, I was told 90% of the game was mental. If you tell a left handed pitcher that he can't get a righty hitter out because of what other pitchers do throughout the league, he's going to fail. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. There are too many pitching changes in the game, which puts managers in a precarious position when games go into 16 innings.

jbslicer
05-30-2017, 06:05 AM
There are so many other things they can do to speed up the game of baseball. Like a pitch timer behind the umpire, a timer on the amount of pitches a starter or reliever can toss (except when a pitcher leaves due to injury) between innings or when a pitcher is taken out, a rule that the batter has to remain in the box at all times (and building a box that is made with rubber like home plate so that batters cannot wipe out the chalk), set a limit on the amount of times a pitcher can be visited by a catcher in an inning, have the umpires call the rule book strike zone instead of their own strike zone (and fire those umps who don't follow the rule book). (I still hold my dream of a computer guided laser strike zone, where umps, when it comes to balls and strikes, are nothing more than actors), and most all, speed up instant replay if they insist on having it. IR is easier in baseball than in any other sport. It takes way too much time.

The above story affirms what I have said all along....the specialization of pitchers in baseball has caused increased pitcher injuries. It used to be normal for starters to throw both ends of a double header and drink all night in the bar. Now I don't advise that modern day pitchers do this, but this is the consequence of having a league with insane $250 million contracts. Everyone is scared. Pitchers throwing more innings would result in less pitching changes, which is yet another thing that slows the game down.

They can throw all the stats they want at me, but nothing is going to convince me that if the right-handed hitting 7th man in the order were forced to hit righties all the time that his batting average vs. righties wouldn't increase significantly. When I was a player, I was told 90% of the game was mental. If you tell a left handed pitcher that he can't get a righty hitter out because of what other pitchers do throughout the league, he's going to fail. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. There are too many pitching changes in the game, which puts managers in a precarious position when games go into 16 innings.

Get rid of the DH in the American League. I like your idea on the laser guided strike zone.

CDC84
05-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Get rid of the DH in the American League. I like your idea on the laser guided strike zone.

I didn't really think about it, but ditching the DH would probably speed up the game.....

Regarding my laser guided strike zone....all players would be measured before the season from their armpits to their knees in a normal batting stance. Slightly bent knees. That is, none of the Rickey Henderson crap where you crouch down to shrink the strike zone. If you want to do that in real game action okay, but don't be shocked if strikes are called on pitches that are at helmet level. They have tried time and time again to get the umps to follow a uniform strike zone, and none of them do it. Every guy has their own strike zone. It's an ego thing. The strike zone is actually much larger than almost every ump calls it in MLB. The laser guided strike zone would also really help with pitches on the corners. It's where the ball passes the plate....not where is lands in the catcher's glove.

The part about using rubber batting boxes came to me as a result of seeing too many batters, before even the first pitch was thrown, completely scraping away the chalk at the back end of the batter's box with their cleats. But the 2nd pitch, he was out of the box. Do yourself a favor and buy view level seats above the batter's box. It happens every single game. It's illegal, and the umps never do anything about it. Besides they need to use rubber anyway because as soon as someone slides across home plate, the batter's box is a mess. But let me tell you......if you forced hitters to stand in the batter's box at all times, and put a timer behind home plate, that would speed things up a lot. The question is what would be the penalty for a pitching delay? One ball, two balls, or maybe an automatic walk?

willandi
05-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Or put the DH into the National League. I don't see how removing the DH could speed up the game at all.

I have advocated a laser strike zone for years. Make the strike zone consistent and predictable for every pitch and every batter. Have an LED light on the plate to designate strike or not. The umpire still calls them, but has to call the pitches as they actually are, not as he wants them to be.

willandi
05-30-2017, 09:16 AM
I didn't really think about it, but ditching the DH would probably speed up the game.....

Regarding my laser guided strike zone....all players would be measured before the season from their armpits to their knees in a normal batting stance. Slightly bent knees. That is, none of the Rickey Henderson crap where you crouch down to shrink the strike zone. If you want to do that in real game action okay, but don't be shocked if strikes are called on pitches that are at helmet level. They have tried time and time again to get the umps to follow a uniform strike zone, and none of them do it. Every guy has their own strike zone. It's an ego thing. The strike zone is actually much larger than almost every ump calls it in MLB. The laser guided strike zone would also really help with pitches on the corners. It's where the ball passes the plate....not where is lands in the catcher's glove.

The part about using rubber batting boxes came to me as a result of seeing too many batters, before even the first pitch was thrown, completely scraping away the chalk at the back end of the batter's box with their cleats. But the 2nd pitch, he was out of the box. Do yourself a favor and buy view level seats above the batter's box. It happens every single game. It's illegal, and the umps never do anything about it. Besides they need to use rubber anyway because as soon as someone slides across home plate, the batter's box is a mess. But let me tell you......if you forced hitters to stand in the batter's box at all times, and put a timer behind home plate, that would speed things up a lot. The question is what would be the penalty for a pitching delay? One ball, two balls, or maybe an automatic walk?

I like the batters box idea. When the pitcher takes too long, a ball is called and when the batter takes to long, a strike is called. There also has to be a timer on the time that a batter is ready and the pitcher releases the ball.