PDA

View Full Version : Transfer C.J. Bryce

doctorzag
05-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Zags have reached out to C.J. Bryce . 6-5 guard, big time scorer. Will sit next year and then be eligible for two years.

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 08:59 PM
It's a decent player for us. I just hope ZN's knee is doing well. He'd be a perfect wing.

zagsfanforlife
05-09-2017, 09:00 PM
This kids a big time scorer. not sure exactly where he fits as that would mean rui or norvelle off bench, but if he wants in, you take him.

Zagdawg
05-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Ken Pomeroy’s website tracks 17 different statistical categories for each individual player. Bryce ranked among the top 25 in the CAA in 14 of those categories.

http://www.backingthepack.com/nc-state-basketball-recruiting/2017/5/6/15568914/cj-bryce-transfer-unc-wilmington-nc-state-kevin-keatts

For now, at least, NC State is at the top of his list thanks to his relationship with Kevin Keatts.

"NC State is at the top of my list because of Coach (Kevin) Keatts, but I'm still open," Bryce told Goodman. He also said he isn’t completely sure that he’ll visit Raleigh this weekend.

http://www.backingthepack.com/2017/5/9/15600352/c-j-bryce-nc-state-uncw-transfer-kevin-keatts

https://accsports.com/acc-analytics/c-j-bryce-transfer-watch/

bballbeachbum
05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
he'd be a sweet get

doctorzag
05-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Goodman just tweeted that Bryce may visit Gonzaga.

ZagNative
05-21-2017, 12:27 PM
From Twitter:

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN

UNC Wilmington transfer C.J. Bryce told ESPN he will likely choose between NC State and South Carolina, might still visit Gonzaga.

MDABE80
05-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Really hard to get these high end kids out of the East. Two good programs courting him. I'd cancel him off our "hope" list.

thespywhozaggedme
05-21-2017, 01:03 PM
ZN is a red shirt freshman, yet all we've done all spring is try and find a shooting guard his size either grad transfer or transfer. I hope I'm just letting my imagination run wild, but I'm afraid as another poster said a little earlier that he's just not healthy yet. I mean why else would we keep trying to find a player that plays his exact position when he supposed to be an amazing player by all accounts?

Coach Crazy
05-21-2017, 01:37 PM
ZN is a red shirt freshman, yet all we've done all spring is try and find a shooting guard his size either grad transfer or transfer. I hope I'm just letting my imagination run wild, but I'm afraid as another poster said a little earlier that he's just not healthy yet. I mean why else would we keep trying to find a player that plays his exact position when he supposed to be an amazing player by all accounts?

At the very least, depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
05-21-2017, 01:45 PM
At the very least, depth.

He's not transferring for depth, he's transferring to be a starter. Same with Elijah brown. How many players exact same height and position as Zach have we gone after over the past two months? It begs the question, why, since we all know that Zach is a flat out stud.

OntZags
05-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Really hard to get these high end kids out of the East. Two good programs courting him. I'd cancel him off our "hope" list.

I think the bigger thing is the coaching connection at NCStateSt. Will be tough to overcome that. Especially in a position that isn't the biggest need they have moving forward.

BobZag
05-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Zach's knee is fine. Nothing wrong with a tall backcourt of four guards and a big.

thespywhozaggedme
05-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Zach's knee is fine. Nothing wrong with a tall backcourt of four guards and a big.

Good to know. Thank you

Coach Crazy
05-21-2017, 05:18 PM
He's not transferring for depth, he's transferring to be a starter. Same with Elijah brown. How many players exact same height and position as Zach have we gone after over the past two months? It begs the question, why, since we all know that Zach is a flat out stud.

You asked about the staff's motivation.

thespywhozaggedme
05-21-2017, 06:41 PM
You asked about the staff's motivation.

Yes, you're correct; like the players themselves, the staff I'm sure wasn't recruiting Elijah brown or this particular fellow to come here to be bench depth.

Worthington
05-21-2017, 07:15 PM
We almost didn't get NWG to visit. If we get Bryce on campus then maybe we can pull him away from the east coast.

Reborn
05-22-2017, 06:18 AM
I believe that Gonzaga's philosophy on recruiting is to go after the best available player. This young man certainly seems to be in that category.

GoZags
05-22-2017, 06:37 AM
I believe that Gonzaga's philosophy on recruiting is to go after the best available player. This young man certainly seems to be in that category.

Sorry Reborn .... but hopefully your "best available" verbiage isn't limited to playing ability ... as the staff has "passed" on scores of players who were talented basketball players but wouldn't be a "fit" vis a vis Gonzaga's system/philosophy.

thespywhozaggedme
05-22-2017, 06:58 AM
Had by far his worst game of the year against the best team they played all year; 8 points on 2/11 shooting against UVA in the tourney.

http://www.espn.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400946428

primal23
05-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Had by far his worst game of the year against the best team they played all year; 8 points on 2/11 shooting against UVA in the tourney.

To be fair, a lot of teams and players have their worst game ever against UVA and Tony Bennett's defensive teams.

sittingon50
05-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Shem finished with a bad one too. It happens.

Markburn1
05-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Could work in his favor, and whoever lands him. He might feel he has something to prove.

thespywhozaggedme
05-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Shem finished with a bad one too. It happens.

True but my point was that that was by far their most difficult opponent of the season. If you look at their schedule for last year it was downright pitiful. But yes of course one game does not a player make.

Reborn
05-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Sorry Reborn .... but hopefully your "best available" verbiage isn't limited to playing ability ... as the staff has "passed" on scores of players who were talented basketball players but wouldn't be a "fit" vis a vis Gonzaga's system/philosophy.

I would imaging that it includes grades and character. What is B E S T for Gonzaga may not be the best for other teams. What I was trying to point out that maybe the Zags need a big, according to many fans, but it there is an available wing or guard who is better than the BIGS who are available, I believe Few would take the wing or guard. I don't expect the Cal transfer to play at Gonzaga.

Mantua
05-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Getting caught with the board news today. Thanks for posting that tidbit. It's my favorite post in the last three weeks.

doctorzag
05-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Goodman just tweeted that Bryce may visit Gonzaga.

Bryce is deciding tomorrow so unless he had a secret visit we are out.

SLOZag
05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Chose N.C. State.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article153037094.html?src=rss

MDABE80
05-27-2017, 02:50 PM
It's tough for us being on the opposite coast. Even with losses any college near the research triangle are #### sure it'll be their turn to win it all. We could have used him. 8 players is what we usually work with. I hope Wade and Kispert are ready . After a year., I'd be surprised if ZN isn't ready. We still need an excellent big.

scrooner
05-27-2017, 04:35 PM
His loss.

JPtheBeasta
05-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Not too worried about losing out on a transfer guard like that. Unless he is a guy that would have taken GU to the next level of competitiveness a la NWG, it's a pretty full back court.

Big men, however...

maynard g krebs
05-27-2017, 05:35 PM
His loss.

The kid is sticking with his coach, the guy who helped him become a star at UNCW. Nothing wrong with that.

sittingon50
05-27-2017, 07:42 PM
The kid is sticking with his coach, the guy who helped him become a star at UNCW. Nothing wrong with that.

:agreed:

CDC84
05-27-2017, 08:58 PM
I just don't know how appealing Gonzaga is for a grad transfer right now - especially for a player who comes from the east coast. The Zags don't have the selling point they had the past two seasons with Mathews and Wesley...."see, you're the missing piece at the wing for a final four run." That doesn't exist now. Not that NC State is likely to make a final 4 run this year either.....but the fact that he can play for his former coach in a better league is all it took.

Zagger
05-28-2017, 02:47 AM
When it comes to getting the more recent recruits and/or transfers from East or West .... GU is much more likely to land a West kid. We did get J3 and Norvell's from Chicago. If I'm not missing anyone (other than from across the Atlantic) I would not expect GU to be very successful at East side kids becoming Zags. That being said .... it would not surprise me if Tommy lands another foreign player before September. I personally only get interested in possible kids if they are in the West or foreign. The East side competition is just too good for an East side kid to want to end up in the Inland NW. Then again .... J3 has surely worked out well :)

ZagNation
05-28-2017, 02:59 AM
When it comes to getting the more recent recruits and/or transfers from East or West .... GU is much more likely to land a West kid. We did get J3 and Norvell's from Chicago. If I'm not missing anyone (other than from across the Atlantic) I would not expect GU to be very successful at East side kids becoming Zags. That being said .... it would not surprise me if Tommy lands another foreign player before September. I personally only get interested in possible kids if they are in the West or foreign. The East side competition is just too good for an East side kid to want to end up in the Inland NW. Then again .... J3 has surely worked out well :)

Does Jeremy Pargo and Sam Dower count?

Zagger
05-28-2017, 03:38 AM
Does Jeremy Pargo and Sam Dower count?

Yes, although I was thinking current roster.

jazzdelmar
05-28-2017, 05:02 AM
Bryce tidbit:

Another transfer passed on San Diego State on Saturday, this time Utah freshman wing Devon Daniels picking North Carolina State and the ACC in what came down to a two-school race. The Aztecs, then, still have three scholarships available for next season.

They remain in contention for at least three other players: Cal 7-footer Kameron Rooks, UConn freshman wing Vance Jackson and Oregon 6-10 post Kavell Bigby-Williams. Rooks, a Mission Hills High product who would be eligible immediately as a fifth-year senior, is scheduled to visit SDSU on Thursday. Jackson is scheduled for next weekend.

Bigby-Williams has already come to SDSU this spring and reportedly will visit Baylor early next week before making a decision. Wichita State is also in the mix, as is a return to Oregon, where he could play his final two seasons without sitting out. If he transfers, he’d sit one and play one.

Daniels wasn’t deterred by another touted 6-5 wing, UNC-Wilmington transfer C.J. Bryce, committing to North Carolina State an hour before he made his announcement on Twitter. Both will sit out next season and could battle for playing time given the similarities in their games. (Bryce averaged 17.4 points last season at UNCW, where he played for new Wolf Pack coach Kevin Keatts.)