PDA

View Full Version : Oregon AD Mullens on Portland radio

maynard g krebs
05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Oregon AD Rob Mullens was interviewed on Canzano's talk show yesterday and said in response to a question that he'd like to see a regular season matchup with the Zags.

IMO that would be a great thing for NW basketball at this point, though Few's reported reluctance is more than understandable.

seacatfan
05-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Is the odds of a regular season GU-UO matchup better than Few having a baby w/ bigfoot?

ZagsObserver
05-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Oregon AD Rob Mullens was interviewed on Canzano's talk show yesterday and said in response to a question that he'd like to see a regular season matchup with the Zags.

IMO that would be a great thing for NW basketball at this point, though Few's reported reluctance is more than understandable.

Why the reluctance? I assume home and home?

webspinnre
05-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Because of his many ties to their program.

TravelinZag
05-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Nothing to gain.

JAGzag
05-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Nothing to gain.

Huh? How?

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-09-2017, 05:29 PM
I would love to see these programs duke it out in the Battle in Seattle.

maynard g krebs
05-09-2017, 05:59 PM
I would love to see these programs duke it out in the Battle in Seattle.

Key Arena one year and Moda Ctr the other. Would bring more national attn to the NW for sure. Not much attn on the Husky game at this point

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Face saving is all this is. He knows Few won't take the bait even though GU is the superior program. If it was me, I'd go thrash the hell out of em..just like Washington . Few has his reasons. Good ines too. This is just big talk and poking the bear. Sorta cowardly on the ADs part.

maynard g krebs
05-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Face saving is all this is. He knows Few won't take the bait even though GU is the superior program. If it was me, I'd go thrash the hell out of em..just like Washington . Few has his reasons. Good ines too. This is just big talk and poking the bear. Sorta cowardly on the ADs part.

I don't get it. How is it "face saving?" What is he saving face from? He was asked a question and answered it. Lotta projecting here imo.

Like I said in the OP, it's OK if Few doesn't want to play his alma mater. That qualifies as a good enough reason. Equating it with playing Washington, though... I'll let that comment speak for itself; back to back pac champs, e8 and f4. It's a game that should be played, for the sake of hundreds of thousands of bb fans in the NW.

bartruff1
05-09-2017, 06:16 PM
It's a natural....

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 06:39 PM
As is frequently the case Maynard you missed the point. He pokes the bear when he knows the bear won't come after him. We know you follow and love IU, but would the AD really want his boy s getting their butts kicked like when Washington used to taunt GU? It's a fools game. Christ I think we should and then join the PAC 12! But I'm not Mark Few and he's got his reasons. Hope this helps;...

maynard g krebs
05-09-2017, 06:59 PM
As is frequently the case Maynard you missed the point. He pokes the bear when he knows the bear won't come after him. We know you follow and love IU, but would the AD really want his boy s getting their butts kicked like when Washington used to taunt GU? It's a fools game. Christ I think we should and then join the PAC 12! But I'm not Mark Few and he's got his reasons. Hope this helps;...

Yes, I seem to have trouble following poorly made, inaccurate or irrelevant "points". Poor me.

Face-saving, adj:

"Preserving one's reputation, credibility, or dignity"

This really doesn't apply (as unlike the Huskies, the Ducks have no history of being beaten by the Zags and then backing out); I pointed that out. You appear to be a bit off the deep end in your response here; he was simply asked a question and answered that it's something he'd like to see happen; mentioned it might happen at PK80. No "bear-poking" involved; that strikes me as a bit of a delusion.

I'd root for the Zags, of course. I just like to see great games, and this would be one. Again, comparing it to Washington is moot and makes you loook foolish, and there's nothing here to compare to the Huskies' three at the Key proposal, except maybe in a deluded mind (Zags "joining" the pac 12 )

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 08:08 PM
No washington's attitude toward GU was that we were Jr to them. We waxed those arrogant aholes...,if you remember they had an e 8 and set 16s .too but we beat them annually. Catching on yet?
The ADs search for west coast supremacy runs through spokane. He's poking Few because he knows he's safe and Few won't play em.this arrogant sob should be embarrassed for this schoolyard bully tactic. But as I said, I think wr should kick UOs teeth in for several years. Dana's not innocent in this either. His threat is in Spokane . He knows it.

zagsfanforlife
05-09-2017, 08:30 PM
No washington's attitude toward GU was that we were Jr to them. We waxed those arrogant aholes...,if you remember they had an e 8 and set 16s .too but we beat them annually. Catching on yet?
The ADs search for west coast supremacy runs through spokane. He's poking Few because he knows he's safe and Few won't play em.this arrogant sob should be embarrassed for this schoolyard bully tactic. But as I said, I think wr should kick UOs teeth in for several years. Dana's not innocent in this either. His threat is in Spokane . He knows it.

Acting like we would just go up to Oregon and put a whoopin on the Ducks or that the Ducks would come down here and we would blow them out of the gym like you seem to be ensuing, is just not accurate based on the teams Altman has produced lately. If Few wont play them, ok. That seems more reason for Oregon fans to be riled up than GU fans like yourself being upset. Why wont he play them? Because its his alma mater? What am i missing?

509er
05-09-2017, 08:34 PM

I'd say it's debatable whether GU is the superior program. Oregon has reloaded nicely following there FF run. I'd say the 2 programs are currently on par and I'm no fan of Nike U.

Care to elaborate on what Few's reasons are for not wanting to play uo or is that I'd have to kill you if I told you type of intell?

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 08:35 PM
" seem to be ensuing, is just not accurate based on the teams Altman has produced lately. If Few went play them, ok. That seems more reason for Oregon fans to be riled up than GU fans like yourself being upset. Why wont he play them? Because its his alma mater? What am i missing?" says zagfan

1. you're missing out on the word "ensuing"....do you mean insuring? No matter it's the wrong word in this contxt.
2.Who's upset? Not me. Missing that one too.
3. Maybe Few has his own reasons.............missing that too? I'm not his spokesman.

bigblahla
05-09-2017, 08:39 PM
IMO opinion it has little to do with basketball and more to do with character and loyalty.....walking the walk....Coach is an unique human being to be admired for his strength of self and purpose.....but what do I know...nada...un pequito at best...like i said...just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

zagsfanforlife
05-09-2017, 08:40 PM
" seem to be ensuing, is just not accurate based on the teams Altman has produced lately. If Few went play them, ok. That seems more reason for Oregon fans to be riled up than GU fans like yourself being upset. Why wont he play them? Because its his alma mater? What am i missing?" says zagfan

1. you're missing out on the word "ensuing"....do you mean insuring? No matter it's the wrong word in this contxt.
3. Maybe Few has his own reasons.............missing that too? I'm not his spokesman.

1) Insinuating ... its late forgive me Professor Abe
2) You seem very upset.
3) You "insinuated" again above that Few wont play them.. to me seems petty whatever the reason may be. Again.. objectively speaking, i think Oregon fans would have more reason to be upset at Few than vice versa.

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Nice post Zaagfan! lol.....no worries. I'm very much serene:))

zagsfanforlife
05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Nice post Zaagfan! lol.....no worries. I'm very much serene:))

Thanks!

seacatfan
05-09-2017, 09:58 PM
No washington's attitude toward GU was that we were Jr to them. We waxed those arrogant aholes...,if you remember they had an e 8 and set 16s too.

You are misremembering. Romar maxed out at Sweet 16. That's a far cry from E8 and FF in back to back years like the Ducks just did. I really don't think the Oregon AD feels like he NEEDS a matchup against GU to legitimize his program. Who's being arrogant now?

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 10:21 PM
002–03 Washington 10–17 5–13 9th
2003–04 Washington 19–12 12–6 2nd NCAA First Round
2004–05 Washington 29–6 14–4 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
2005–06 Washington 26–7 13–5 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
2006–07 Washington 19–13 8–10 7th
2007–08 Washington 16–17 7–11 8th CBI First Round
2008–09 Washington 26–9 14–4 1st NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Washington 26–10 11–7 3rd NCAA Sweet 16
2010–11 Washington 24–11 11–7 3rd NCAA Third Round
2011–12 Washington 24–11 14–4 1st NIT Semifinals

Nobody's being arrogant. I do see Romar landed 3 sweet 16's and as far as the 3rd round in 2011. As I now recall, UW was a point or two from an elite 8. If you don't feel the AD at Oregon needs a game with GU, why bring it up? It's usually an opening volley. Out of the blue you think? For no reason? When It's pretty clear GU's the pre-eminent program on the West Coast ( you may disagree), I think Oregon wants to be a no 1. He just casually brought it up? Could be. I'm not inside his head....

kitzbuel
05-10-2017, 03:23 AM
I would love to see top programs out west routinely playing each other. Oregon is a top west coast program.

East coast programs routinely match up against each other and get lots of prime time viewership and exposure. I am in favor of swinging opportunities like that Gonzaga's way.

Let's play Oregon, AZ, UCLA, SD St, UNLV. Those are games that get national interest.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 04:50 AM
I would love to see top programs out west routinely playing each other. Oregon is a top west coast program.

East coast programs routinely match up against each other and get lots of prime time viewership and exposure. I am in favor of swinging opportunities like that Gonzaga's way.

Let's play Oregon, AZ, UCLA, SD St, UNLV. Those are games that get national interest.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Selfishly, I'd like for the Zags to play top programs within a day's drive of Dallas. That should open up the possibilities.

#1 preference would be SMU, though TCU is on an upswing, and Baylor's just down the road.

bartruff1
05-10-2017, 04:50 AM
But.....but....we would have to give up the game against Bryant...

I don't read anything into the AD's comment.....

Oregon doesn't need Gonzaga anymore than Gonzaga needs Oregon....it would just be a great matchup with both regional and national interest.....and most years Gonzaga would be competitive ....

Zagsker
05-10-2017, 05:52 AM
But.....but....we would have to give up the game against Bryant...

I don't read anything into the AD's comment.....

Oregon doesn't need Gonzaga anymore than Gonzaga needs Oregon....it would just be a great matchup with both regional and national interest.....and most years Gonzaga would be competitive ....

Exactly...some posters reaction to the AD's comments are bizarre

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 06:01 AM
Exactly...some posters reaction to the AD's comments are bizarre

:lmao:

The decision to add Pacific, thus expanding the conference season to 18 games, has IMO backed the Zags into a corner. We no longer have much flexibility in who we play outside of the conference. There was much criticism over playing low RPI schools, though I thought it was necessary for the team to meld...hard to do that when you're only playing top-25 teams.

What's needed is for the WCC to adopt an unbalanced schedule, but that's pie in the sky. The other schools make big money having a guaranteed home game against the Zags.

bartruff1
05-10-2017, 06:19 AM
If you don't play a full schedule, you don't have a true Conference Champion.....looks to me that there are plenty of opportunities to play a National Schedule ....quit playing the Sisters of the Poor in the non conference.... to quote that awful man, Bill Walton.

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 06:40 AM
If you don't play a full schedule, you don't have a true Conference Champion.....looks to me that there are plenty of opportunities to play a National Schedule ....quit playing the Sisters of the Poor in the non conference.... to quote that awful man, Bill Walton.

I thought we learned our lesson from a few years ago, when our OOC schedule had 25,000+ travel miles, with a couple of cross country trips. Simply my $.02 that a full conference schedule is a hindrance to the Zags, leaves less flexibility in scheduling.

The 800 lb gorillas in the room are the bottom feeders of the WCC. Until they show some improvement, it really won't matter how tough our OOC ranks nationwide. It's too easy for the media to cast a jaundiced eye at the strength of the conference. One could take that either way: WCC with the Zags is 10-12, WCC sans the Zags is in the 20s...again, just my $.02.

Bogozags
05-10-2017, 06:51 AM
:lmao:

The decision to add Pacific, thus expanding the conference season to 18 games, has IMO backed the Zags into a corner. We no longer have much flexibility in who we play outside of the conference. There was much criticism over playing low RPI schools, though I thought it was necessary for the team to meld...hard to do that when you're only playing top-25 teams.

What's needed is for the WCC to adopt an unbalanced schedule, but that's pie in the sky. The other schools make big money having a guaranteed home game against the Zags.

TZF, I think your comment about "The other schools make big money having guaranteed home games against the Zags." Might just be a little over the top somewhat because they have small gyms, except for USD and Pacific so the money wouldn't be "big" money...imo BUT I believe that having two WCC divisions would be better for the conference as we would play each team twice in our division and one each against the other divisional...rotate home and home every other year. Our division would include UP, BYU, SMC and USF. That would give us 12 conference games allowing us six more OOC games...this could work...

I think it would be great playing OU home and home and then also on "each other's neutral court" over the course of four years...we could also do this with WSU and OSU too!

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 07:40 AM
TZF, I think your comment about "The other schools make big money having guaranteed home games against the Zags." Might just be a little over the top somewhat because they have small gyms, except for USD and Pacific so the money wouldn't be "big" money...imo BUT I believe that having two WCC divisions would be better for the conference as we would play each team twice in our division and one each against the other divisional...rotate home and home every other year. Our division would include UP, BYU, SMC and USF. That would give us 12 conference games allowing us six more OOC games...this could work...

I think it would be great playing OU home and home and then also on "each other's neutral court" over the course of four years...we could also do this with WSU and OSU too!

You're probably right, Bogo. I seem to recall how a few of these schools include Zag games in a multi-game package. Pepperdine sells out for GU, but had maybe 800 for BYU, and I can only imagine the empty seats for LMU or USD. If Pepp packages the Zags, then they essentially get one or more sell outs based on the tickets sold.

Playing Pac 12 schools makes sense: we're in competition with them for most of the same recruits, and you aren't having to traverse multiple time zones.

Ikancagin
05-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Hopefully we will draw Oregon in our bracket in the PK 80 and test the Oregon water.

Zagsker
05-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote function is the bees knees.

maynard g krebs
05-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Hopefully we will draw Oregon in our bracket in the PK 80 and test the Oregon water.

Another thing in favor of playing Oregon early in the year is the fact that Altman's Oregon teams have always struggled in November and Dec, and start rolling in February; undefeated in reg season the last 4 yrs after Valentine's day, something like 26-0.

Esp this year; Ducks will be talented but are very likely to look ragged and disorganized with virtually a new team. Zags should fairly easily beat them if they meet in the PK, and it would be a top 25 or better win on the resume at the end of the year.

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Another thing in favor of playing Oregon early in the year is the fact that Altman's Oregon teams have always struggled in November and Dec, and start rolling in February; undefeated in reg season the last 4 yrs after Valentine's day, something like 26-0.

Esp this year; Ducks will be talented but are very likely to look ragged and disorganized with virtually a new team. Zags should fairly easily beat them if they meet in the PK, and it would be a top 25 or better win on the resume at the end of the year.

That would be a welcome change...usually we have a good win, and the other team slips as the year goes by. Florida's a rare exception to the rule. Arizona's always in the hunt, that's why I like the series we have with them.

MDABE80
05-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Quote function is the bees knees.

Who asked ya?
Meanwhile, i'M ALL FOR THE SERIES OR HOME AND HOME.Seems like it's a step up. As we've all seen in the past several years, even when we're no 1, we still get downgraded because of our league. I'd say we thrash the entire P12 and move there. Right now, we're stuck. I see no major daylight staying where we are. Then again, given the arrogance of the other side of the country, it may not matter. We could be in a P5 conference and still get the same old crap. It just seems like the smaller schools (outside of Duke or an equivalent) get the shade thrown on em every year. "who did you play"? type of crap.

bartruff1
05-10-2017, 01:29 PM
I thought we learned our lesson from a few years ago, when our OOC schedule had 25,000+ travel miles, with a couple of cross country trips. Simply my $.02 that a full conference schedule is a hindrance to the Zags, leaves less flexibility in scheduling.

The 800 lb gorillas in the room are the bottom feeders of the WCC. Until they show some improvement, it really won't matter how tough our OOC ranks nationwide. It's too easy for the media to cast a jaundiced eye at the strength of the conference. One could take that either way: WCC with the Zags is 10-12, WCC sans the Zags is in the 20s...again, just my $.02.

Japan and the Bahamas are not part of the United States....playing in the WCC gives Gonzaga a huge advantage...I don't worry about what the media say about our schedule...or some 15 yo commenting on some basketball site... it doesn't appear to hurt our seeding or our performance...

seacatfan
05-10-2017, 03:00 PM
I'd say we thrash the entire P12 and move there.

You only have to go back to the '15-16 season when GU lost in the Kennel to both UCLA and Arizona, and neither were all that good that year (the Bruins finished under .500 overall). Thrashing the entire P12 is not really gonna happen on a regular basis.

MDABE80
05-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Well given the ebb and flow of things, the idea is to get into that league so we get some damned respect! Look at how well we're doing with 4 empty spots. FF, no 1 for a decent part of the year, great facilities, great TV contracts ( for now) and where are we? We are without 4 of our bet pt producers and little to show for filling those spots.
But I think 15-16 (the OOC part of the schedule.), we were in the throes of turnover city. Hopefully that won't happen again.
Can we effectively compete? Sure! So where are those recruits??? Lifeblood of everything.

seacatfan
05-10-2017, 04:07 PM
I'm not going to panic. GU's previous success brought 3 key transfers and 2 freshmen bigs that were a huge part of the team's success in '16-'17. Maybe there are some open roster spots currently, but there are some good returning players and some guys that haven't yet played in any regular season games for the Zags but give reason for optimism. The coaching staff have been doing a lot of good things to get GU to this point, I have faith that they will continue to do those things and bring in talented players that fit the system.

As much as GU playing in the Pac 12 would be nice, I just can't see it happening because football is driving the bus.

CDC84
05-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Much in the way that Few has issues with playing teams that are coached by dear friends, I am afraid that some of his issues with coaching against Oregon have to do with the fact that it is his alma mater.

Few is his own man. I would be highly surprised if we ever see a home and home vs. Oregon, even if the fans want it.

509er
05-11-2017, 04:28 AM
Much in the way that Few has issues with playing teams that are coached by dear friends, I am afraid that some of his issues with coaching against Oregon have to do with the fact that it is his alma mater.

Few is his own man. I would be highly surprised if we ever see a home and home vs. Oregon, even if the fans want it.

That's contrary to a rumor I've heard. Story goes Few wanted to play Oregon in the early 2000s when he was building the program and Oregon was pretty strong but Ernie and Moos didn't want to play. That and Wazzu's horrid RPI were drivers in GU cancelling the series. No way of knowing if that's true but makes a little bit of sense bc back then Oregon would have had little to gain with a home and home whereas today there would be little downside to Oregon coming to GU and losing.

The alma mater angle seems a little weak to me as well. Other coaches do it all the time and it's not like he played or coached there.

CDC84
05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
I think Few's feelings have changed over the years. It's been a long time since 2000 when Gonzaga was dying to get a game with anyone. These days Few has a CHOICE over who he plays. When given a choice it won't be Oregon, IMO. Even with Altman at the helm.

But as with all things, we'll see. The series makes sense with the way Oregon has evolved as a program and the proximity of the two schools.

bartruff1
05-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Anyone, anytime, anywhere......except.....:(