PDA

View Full Version : O.T. India Tommy's possible next recruiting hotbed?

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2017, 11:52 AM
The NBA announced the official opening of NBA Academy India, an elite basketball training center at Jaypee Greens Integrated Sports Complex in Delhi National Capital Region (NCR) for the top male and female prospects from throughout India.

Twenty-one elite male prospects, who were selected following a three-month, nationwide basketball talent search, will receive scholarships and training at NBA Academy India, the first of its kind in the country.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245896/NBA-Announces-Opening-Of-Academy-In-India

I guess they're trying to pattern themselves after AIS in Australia and INSEP in France. Imagine the potential.

Mojo13
05-09-2017, 03:04 PM
The NBA announced the official opening of NBA Academy India, an elite basketball training center at Jaypee Greens Integrated Sports Complex in Delhi National Capital Region (NCR) for the top male and female prospects from throughout India.

Twenty-one elite male prospects, who were selected following a three-month, nationwide basketball talent search, will receive scholarships and training at NBA Academy India, the first of its kind in the country.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245896/NBA-Announces-Opening-Of-Academy-In-India

I guess they're trying to pattern themselves after AIS in Australia and INSEP in France. Imagine the potential.

What is the potential you see? It is a massive but poor country without much of a sporting culture outside of cricket. They have been doing this for 20 years or more in China and China still sucks at basketball.

Better off mining a country with some natural talent for the sport like Nigeria.

JPtheBeasta
05-09-2017, 05:10 PM
If they can find one of those guys with 8 arms they might have themselves a good defender. Even if he doesn't have the greatest hands, he might make up for it by having 8 of them.

willandi
05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YbAO26iZE

maynard g krebs
05-09-2017, 06:38 PM
What is the potential you see? It is a massive but poor country without much of a sporting culture outside of cricket. They have been doing this for 20 years or more in China and China still sucks at basketball.

Better off mining a country with some natural talent for the sport like Nigeria.

I worked with a guy from India about 25 years ago who said that at that time India had the largest middle class population in the world (by number of course, not percentage); over 300 million at that time. Not sure they couldn't be better than the Chinese at BB.

Mantua
05-09-2017, 07:20 PM
If they can find one of those guys with 8 arms they might have themselves a good defender. Even if he doesn't have the greatest hands, he might make up for it by having 8 of them.

:roll:

The deity in question is named Durga. She's probably going to get an offer from Uconn.
A one and done anyway.

sittingon50
05-09-2017, 07:26 PM
:roll:

The deity in question is named Durga. She's probably going to get an offer from Uconn.
A one and done anyway.

:clap:

DixieZag
05-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Epic, awesome! Except you're only allowed to have a max of 10 out there, so 2 guys on the floor might not work so well.

But, counter argument, the guys with 8 arms are gods, right? And, if I were a god, and could make stuff happen, better believe every shot I put up is ordered - "nothing but net."

Tough call.

Mantua
05-09-2017, 07:53 PM
JPtheBeasta's comment struck me as very lol funny, gender confusion or not.

MDABE80
05-09-2017, 08:29 PM

lollllllllllllllllllllllll JP. insightful. I was over ther ein the mid- late 90's. It's a vast place. Now though, their economy is much better. IF they want to develop BBall, we should be in on that. 8 armed guys or not.

TexasZagFan
05-10-2017, 05:03 AM

I dunno JP, I doubt those 8 armed guys have a wingspan of more than 4 feet.

The only benefit I can see to recruiting India is if Gonzaga's going to field a cricket team. Our school district has hundreds of kids of Indian blood. They're limited to tennis, soccer, and not much else. The boys try their hand at football in 7th grade, because girls dig football players. They get the hell knocked out of them during that first season, and maybe 25% come back for 8th grade.

I haven't seen one bulk up enough to contribute at the high school level, and very few play basketball either.

Very nice people, though...we have a large contingent in our parish, and the local Boy Scout troops.

WallaWallaZag
05-12-2017, 01:34 AM
certain regions in india actually have very tall populations...and they seem to be generally slightly more coordinated and athletic compared to similar sized chinese respectively...so there might be some untapped potential there. the bhullar brothers have generated some interest. considering the size of their population, there's got be an indian yao ming out there some where.

DixieZag
05-12-2017, 09:10 AM
certain regions in india actually have very tall populations...and they seem to be generally slightly more coordinated and athletic compared to similar sized chinese respectively...so there might be some untapped potential there. the bhullar brothers have generated some interest. considering the size of their population, there's got be an indian yao ming out there some where.

Very good comment. Yes, northern India, I suspect.

There are some very big strong cricket players over there. I'm not trying to be funny. And I think they're regarded just like big-time athletes here.

amaronizag
05-12-2017, 09:35 AM
The Bhullar brothers who played for New Mexico were from India and they were like 7'3' and 7'5" or something like that.

thespywhozaggedme
05-12-2017, 10:41 AM
The Bhullar brothers who played for New Mexico were from India and they were like 7'3' and 7'5" or something like that.

They were born and raised in Toronto. They are of Indian descent however.