• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

How GU earned 60% of NCAA tournament revenue for WCC since "91"

I don't believe this one has posted yet. If it has I missed it and apologize! From the Gonzaga Bulletin. There is a lot of information here, well worth the few minutes to read: http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/onlin...2347ea887.html
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
    I don't believe this one has posted yet. If it has I missed it and apologize! From the Gonzaga Bulletin. There is a lot of information here, well worth the few minutes to read: http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/onlin...2347ea887.html
    Thanks for posting. As I suspected, much of his info came from the Bloomberg article of two years ago, which has been linked in at least two threads here.

What I find disappointing was the absence of any questions to the WCC office, specifically the Commissioner. That would have made for a much better article IMHO.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
      What I find disappointing was the absence of any questions to the WCC office, specifically the Commissioner. That would have made for a much better article IMHO.
      This would seem to support the idea that the WCC isnt as comfortable and friendly as many posters here think it is. I wonder what the realities of parking our non basketball sports in the Big Sky and going independent in basketball would present. I gotta feel that we would be better off monetarily. Idk...just thinking out loud.

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

I just don't think this is a big deal...in the first place , I suspect it is a small % of the operating budget of the schools....and in the second place, the league gets a automatic bid, so if Gonzaga didn't get it, someone else would....

I suppose you could argue that Gonzaga is responsible for the money earned by a second bid and games won..... but I doubt that amounts to 60% of revenue...

In any case, ....I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to this issue or crunched any numbers....it is what it is..
        Last edited by bartruff1; 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
          I just don't think this is a big deal...in the first place , I suspect it is a small % of the operating budget of the schools....and in the second place, the league gets a automatic bid, so if Gonzaga didn't get it, someone else would....

I suppose you could argue that Gonzaga is responsible for the money earned by a second bid and games won..... but I doubt that amounts to 60% of revenue...

In any case, I think it is a red herring...BUT.....I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to this issue or crunched any numbers....it is what it is..
          The article expressly stated that the university is fighting to get all shares after the auto qualifier...This year that would have been $9 million. Thats a huge chunk of revenue.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by thebigsmoove View Post
            The article expressly stated that the university is fighting to get all shares after the auto qualifier...This year that would have been $9 million. Thats a huge chunk of revenue.
            Yep. The word "all" might be a little strong, but certainly a good chunk of it.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

In any case, I think it is a red herring...BUT.....I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to this issue or crunched any numbers....it is what it is..
              I don't know enough about it to speak to it, but I don't think it can be a red hearing because it's sure mattered to Thayne, Roth and Few for quite some time, and those're busy guys who I don't think would expend a lot of energy on anything that doesn't matter.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

FWIW, since 2010, WCC teams have "earned" 34 units:

Zags - 22/34 = 65%
                SMC - 8/34 = 23%
                BYU - 4/34 = 12%

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                  I don't know enough about it to speak to it, but I don't think it can be a red hearing because it's sure mattered to Thayne, Roth and Few for quite some time, and those're busy guys who I don't think would expend a lot of energy on anything that doesn't matter.
                  Just a reminder, the WCC has two years left on its TV contract with ESPN. Would ESPN renew the contract if the Zags are leaving the WCC?

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

Just a reminder, the WCC has two years left on its TV contract with ESPN. Would ESPN renew the contract if the Zags are leaving the WCC?
                    If they do renew there will probably be a clause that if GU or BYU (biggest viewership interest by a large margin) were to leave, the contract revenue decreases by a stipulated amount. That should, in turn, motivate the conference to retain these two. "Should" being the operative word.

Comment

• Birddog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thebigsmoove View Post
                      This would seem to support the idea that the WCC isnt as comfortable and friendly as many posters here think it is. I wonder what the realities of parking our non basketball sports in the Big Sky and going independent in basketball would present. I gotta feel that we would be better off monetarily. Idk...just thinking out loud.
                      Big Sky doesn't have the same sports for one and would be a step down for many (Womens BB for instance)), and how do you get into the NCAA Tournament if you're independent. Better yet, how do you schedule games when other conferences are in league play?
                      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                      All mimsy were the borogoves,
                      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                        Big Sky doesn't have the same sports for one and would be a step down for many (Womens BB for instance)), and how do you get into the NCAA Tournament if you're independent. Better yet, how do you schedule games when other conferences are in league play?
                        Last question's the deal breaker to going independent. Most conferences play so many games that it eliminates the chance for an OOC game during February.

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

FWIW, since 2010, WCC teams have "earned" 34 units:

Zags - 22/34 = 65%
                          SMC - 8/34 = 23%
                          BYU - 4/34 = 12%
                          Come on Tex, you know full well that if Gonzaga had not got the automatic some one else would have....

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            Good point Dixie, since I have no idea if they spend ten minutes or ten days per year on the subject.... " I will revise and extend my remarks "....

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

With the 7 years auto bids going to a different school (since 2010) the Zags have actually only earned 44% of the proceeds --- but when you go down that path --the league would have probably got less teams in because the at large bids would have been the conference winner --St Marys (if you take the Zags out of it).

Comment

Working...
                              X