PDA

View Full Version : DE'S in depth report on Zach Collins

thespywhozaggedme
05-04-2017, 10:37 AM
This just came out, very informative and makes me a bit sad about would could have been had he decided to come back. Oh well.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/zach-collins-nba-draft-scouting-report-and-video-analysis-5911/

sittingon50
05-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks spy.

Wishing Zach well.

zagfan1
05-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Report is spot on. Zach will still will be picked 9-14 and make $2.5 million dollars his first year.

CdAZagFan
05-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Watching the big men battle in the NBA playoffs is like watching professional sumo wrestling - I don't know if Collins can reach that level of physicality but hopefully he finds a great niche for himself and has a long NBA career.

webspinnre
05-04-2017, 12:01 PM
I think that's a pretty solid summary of strength's and weaknesses. Sorry to see him go.

MDABE80
05-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Translation: He needs work. Another year perhaps. Good luck to him.

Ekrub
05-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Translation: He needs work. Another year perhaps. Good luck to him.

Yes. But now he will be getting paid millions of dollars to work on his weaknesses full-time. As opposed to 0dollars for half time.

MDABE80
05-04-2017, 09:11 PM
It' always been about the money......not much else really. I have my doubts he'll get the level of personal and quality training in the pro's but I'm sure he'll be ok.

ScrapironJim
05-04-2017, 11:36 PM
Check the box scores of the OKC (Domas) vs. Houston (Wiltjer) series. Wilt did not play and Domas averaged 2 minutes per game. I am concerned that Zach may earn a bad reputation before he has time to mature. If he stayed, he could work on his body and his game. KO stayed long enough to be an instant contributor when he hit the Celts.

TexasZagFan
05-05-2017, 04:37 AM
Check the box scores of the OKC (Domas) vs. Houston (Wiltjer) series. Wilt did not play and Domas averaged 2 minutes per game. I am concerned that Zach may earn a bad reputation before he has time to mature. If he stayed, he could work on his body and his game. KO stayed long enough to be an instant contributor when he hit the Celts.

Really depends on the team who drafts him. If the system suits him, he'll get major minutes and flourish. If not, he'll be considered a dud, though not nearly along the lines of Morrison. Too bad Ammo wasn't drafted by the Suns, he would have been ROY with them. Adam's style of play was antithetical to the Triangle and One, that Jordan swore by for Charlotte.

ETA: I pray that Zach is NOT drafted by the Mavericks. Rick Carlisle has a very poor record when it comes to developing young talent. He was forced into it last year, due to injuries and a woeful start. They were forced to play a lot of young players, but it was obvious they weren't as talented as their PR department and local radio tried to make it. Dirk is still the best player on the team, but age has caught up with him. He's the only draw on the team when it comes to putting people in the seats.

LongIslandZagFan
05-05-2017, 08:50 AM

FWIW... Wiltjer was called up for the series after roster expansion going into round. He wasn't dressed and was sitting behind the bench in a suit. Rockets are high on him though... don't stress it. Domas... I don't get why they take away his abilities around the paint to try and use him as a three point shooter. The boy can board like crazy... why have him 30 feet away?

zagfan24
05-05-2017, 09:13 AM
FWIW... Wiltjer was called up for the series after roster expansion going into round. He wasn't dressed and was sitting behind the bench in a suit. Rockets are high on him though... don't stress it. Domas... I don't get why they take away his abilities around the paint to try and use him as a three point shooter. The boy can board like crazy... why have him 30 feet away?

Was just about to say the same thing regarding Sabonis. I really hope that whoever takes Zach doesn't do the same thing. Zach has the appearance of a "stretch 4" and has a decent outside shot, but his best attributes are his low post footwork, diverse range of post moves, and soft touch around the rim. If you put him 23 feet away from the basket Collins becomes a pretty mediocre professional player.

IMO, if Zach is given the time to add strength, he will have a very solid career as a low post threat. If the team that drafts him has sufficient patience, his body will catch up to his skillset and he could be a starter for a decade. If he is rushed into action, he won't survive down low and will be forced outside. I don't think he would last long in that position.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Because Billy Donovan's an idiot. I've wondered the same thing all season, you have a tenacious rebounder camped at the 3 point line; makes no sense.

TexasZagFan
05-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Because Billy Donovan's an idiot. I've wondered the same thing all season, you have a tenacious rebounder camped at the 3 point line; makes no sense.

Donovan ceded his authority to Westbrook. For all his great play, RW's good for at least half a dozen brain farts during a game that haunt you in a close defeat.

Zagceo
05-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Was just about to say the same thing regarding Sabonis. I really hope that whoever takes Zach doesn't do the same thing. Zach has the appearance of a "stretch 4" and has a decent outside shot, but his best attributes are his low post footwork, diverse range of post moves, and soft touch around the rim. If you put him 23 feet away from the basket Collins becomes a pretty mediocre professional player.

IMO, if Zach is given the time to add strength, he will have a very solid career as a low post threat. If the team that drafts him has sufficient patience, his body will catch up to his skillset and he could be a starter for a decade. If he is rushed into action, he won't survive down low and will be forced outside. I don't think he would last long in that position.

my 2 cents....if a team drafts Zach as a center......mistake. Putting a shooter with his height and skill level in the low block is like putting a power hitter behind the plate in baseball. Ryan Andersen $18m Kevin Love $21m both 28 & 6'10" 240-250..... Zach 7' 230

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/853028-bryce-harper-7-former-catching-prospects-who-had-to-change-positions

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks spy.

Wishing Zach well.

My pleasure

JPtheBeasta
05-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Making room in the lane for Westbrook to help him prove that he doesn't need Durant? They should line up the other 4 guys at the half court line and let Westbrook go to work.

Ezag
05-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Billy's given Domas tons of minutes this year from day 1 and his numbers have not been great, over 1600 minutes played and near last in the NBA in P.E.R (352 out of 355). Of course having to play with Westbrooke who shoots 50 x a game might have something to do with it also.

MDABE80
05-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Pro's always look great. But when the kid's game suffers, one has to wonder if a some cake up front is worth it long term. If the smart move is to develop a young man so he has more skills and a longer career with a lot more money over time, I'd think twice (or 3 times) about being convinced the only move is short term gain. Why? Because it isn't the only move to be made.
Nigel could own college ball next year. But "no" he'll be working his a** off for what he may not really want. Of course there's always Europe..........
Same with Collins. Possibly the same with Domas. Wiltjer, not the case as he spent the requite time in college. Other factors intervene with him.

Coach Crazy
05-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Domas is being played out of position. Of course his per will suffer. Putting a traditional post player like that with a player that needs the interior arc cleared out so he can do his ISO thing is a bad combo.

Domas is not a case for "left too soon".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPtheBeasta
05-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Domas is being played out of position. Of course his per will suffer. Putting a traditional post player like that with a player that needs the interior arc cleared out so he can do his ISO thing is a bad combo.

Domas is not a case for "left too soon".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

bartruff1
05-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Billy has won numerous coaching awards and won 2 National Championships, went to 4 Final Fours...was the second fastest coach to win more than 500 games in college ....and won more than 100 games with the Thunder....I think he knows what he is doing..

scrooner
05-08-2017, 07:13 AM
ESPN "Big Board 6.0: Ranking top players heading into NBA draft combine"

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19331513/chad-ford-nba-draft-2017-big-board-60-ranking-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-more

9. Zach Collins

Previous rank: No. 11
Gonzaga
Freshman
Center

Collins continues to quietly move his way up boards as more and more scouts watch video and come away impressed. I've actually yet to find a scout who doesn't think he's a top-10 pick. His limited role at Gonzaga (combined with a lack of hype coming into the draft) does appear to keep his stock a little lower.

Collins will participate in the combine, but is expected to do only interviews, athletic testing and the physical.

ProVeeZag
05-10-2017, 12:10 AM
Isn't it ironic ... that a thread on a 19-year old gets moved to the "Old Dogs" category before he's even drafted. Talk about a short shelf life. Gone before we had a chance to get to know him. Hope the NBA money makes up for all he will miss by declaring early. As I think about this trend of declaring after 1 or 2 college seasons, when we talk about great Zags from the past, how often does the name Austin Daye come up? To each his own, hope Zach fulfills his dreams in the NBA.

sittingon50
05-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Austin Daye's name comes up mostly by folks who didn't/don't like Austin Daye.

I'm not one of them.

ProVeeZag
05-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Austin Daye's name comes up mostly by folks who didn't/don't like Austin Daye.

I'm not one of them.

It's not that I dislike Daye (or Zach Collins for that matter). It's more a case of me not being "vested" in a player because of the brevity of time he was at GU. I just like to see a longer-term commitment to the college-level program. It's the main reason I don't watch many NBA games ... whole 'nother sport than the college game.