PDA

View Full Version : Another Zach on the rise

BobZag
05-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Zach Norvell.

I predict he'll be the biggest and most pleasant surprise for the Zags next season, with Jesse Wade a close second. Normally I'd include Kispert, but until I see that his foot is 100% I'll hold off.

tyra
05-02-2017, 05:36 PM
So Bob, do you predict Zach will start?

CarolinaZagFan
05-02-2017, 05:46 PM
I'll put the over/under at 5 games before I'm pissed he redshirted last year and think we could have won the championship with him active haha.

Coach Crazy
05-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I'll put the over/under at 5 games before I'm pissed he reshirted last year and think we could have won the championship with him active haha.

He's as special a player as ZC. And I think that if he plays we would have won the whole thing. We may not even have lost a game. He's that good now. He may very well be a lottery pick after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
05-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I've said before, I believe he'll be our leading scorer or second leading scorer next season.

bigblahla
05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
I think ZN will be the most dynamic player to wear a GU uni since Ammo....not discounting NWG who's play this last season was almost other worldly...Norville is an athletic scoring machine, a shooter and a facilitator all rolled into one...if his knee is healthy he can carry a TEAM on the offensive end if need be...fortunately he will have lot's of help...I'm very high on both ZN and JW...BZ you called it right but I think Kispert is gonna rock too...

not worried at all about next season....Zags are gonna be explosive on offense and the D should be tenacious as in TENACIOUS D ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
05-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Great news! Get us a Collins and we'll be back in the FF. Not to be facetious but I knew this new Zack is good but not this good. Superior players are what we need to get back..and win. We should have won this past time.

ZagMan in Philly
05-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Not to hijack, but I think Rui will shine just as bright.
Our young guns will lead us back to the limelight again.

Worthington
05-02-2017, 09:59 PM
I really like Norvell's game, but the footage I've seen does not make me think he's on Collins level as a freshman. He's going to be a great player, but I question those who say he's an elite athlete. Nice size, great feel for the game, natural scorer, fairly average athletically. From what I've seen, he's a very crafty player who has a bag full of tricks to make up for his lack of burst and explosiveness. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a big contributor next year and an All-WCC guy before his time is up, but he looks to me more like a four year guy than a one and done.

MDABE80
05-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Bouncy 6 ft 9 or 6 10 kids will do the trick this year. The team changes every year. I haven't seen enough of Larsen to know if he's superior.
If he and our young Zack are superior, we may be fine. I'd like to think so.

bigblahla
05-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Great news! Get us a Collins and we'll be back in the FF. Not to be facetious but I knew this new Zack is good but not this good. Superior players are what we need to get back..and win. We should have won this past time.

If his knee is healthy I think you're in for a nice surprise Doc....although beauty is in the eye of the beholder....I like his game...shooter and a scorer...

Go!! Zags!!!

Goshzagit
05-03-2017, 04:38 AM
If his knee is healthy I think you're in for a nice surprise Doc....although beauty is in the eye of the beholder....I like his game...shooter and a scorer...

Go!! Zags!!!

As of right now, Norvell's knee is not yet a "100%", yet all sound optimistic he'll be fine & ready to go by next October.

Kispert is still in rehab. Stress fractures rarely heal 'on their own' in high lvl athletes with off the chart work ethic. He had surgery and progressing well.

Now the hope is the screw holds up and doesn't bother him.

He'll be cleared very soon to play again.

Stress fx's, esp in metatarsals, are a gamble, much like meniscus shavings.

Both are the type of injuries that can be on going or nagging, unlike ACL repairs or even complete fx's...much more invasive but more definitive solutions.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for a speedy recovert for both kids.

DagsZags
05-03-2017, 09:15 AM
I really like Norvell's game, but the footage I've seen does not make me think he's on Collins level as a freshman. He's going to be a great player, but I question those who say he's an elite athlete. Nice size, great feel for the game, natural scorer, fairly average athletically. From what I've seen, he's a very crafty player who has a bag full of tricks to make up for his last of burst and explosiveness. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a big contributor next year and an All-WCC guy before his time is up, but he looks to me more like a four year guy than a one and done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4Rg3Gbo_w

I LOVE Norvell's game. Outstanding shooter, excellent ball-handler, and and I've read on here that his floater rivaled NWG's this past seasons even. Even in the exhibition game (albeit against lesser competition) Norvell looked a step above. Drained a couple threes, had a nifty behind the back move to the basket, and was a great passer. He's a the real deal, and it'll be fun watching him evolve over the years. Not sure about one and done status, because as Worthington mentioned here, he's not a freak athlete, but an excellent multi-year D1 guard. Just have to hope his knee is 100% by the beginning of the season

jazzdelmar
05-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Zach Norvell.

I predict he'll be the biggest and most pleasant surprise for the Zags next season off.

Let's hope he gets to play more than 16 minutes a game.....sorry too juicy to pass up. :cool:

Reborn
05-03-2017, 10:38 AM
I've always liked Norvell. No reason to change my mind. Great guards coming out of Chicago can play. Period. Norvell has a lot more offense than Pargo did when he came to GU. Norvell has so many moves, and is a good outside shooter. Pargo really had to work on his outside shot. Pargo was extremely athletic, could jump out of the gym. Norvell is not like that. He needs his quickness and a veriety of moves off the dribble to free himself to score. He has MANY ways to do this. He is very creative. And I LOVE left handed shooting guards. Reminds me of my older brother Pat. I love lefties and I don't think Gonzaga has had one. We'll see what Mark Few thinks of him and how much freedom he will give him. that's the key. He is a scoring guard for sure, and with the absence of NWG we will need one. Norvell shows in his videos that at least in HS he was able to create his own shots like NWG could.

Hoopaholic
05-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Let's hope he gets to play more than 16 minutes a game.....sorry too juicy to pass up. :cool:

Lets hope he doesnt have tendency to get into quick foul trouble as that will limit his minutes

jazzdelmar
05-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Lets hope he doesnt have tendency to get into quick foul trouble as that will limit his minutes

Let's hope he quickly becomes the best player on the team.

GoZags
05-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Do you think he'll be playing behind the National Player of the Year at his position? Your consistent harping on Karno (Karen Abdul Jabbar Award winner) starting on the Final 2 team is well beyond tiresome (in my opinion).

jazzdelmar
05-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Do you think he'll be playing behind the National Player of the Year at his position? Your consistent harping on Karno (Karen Abdul Jabbar Award winner) starting on the Final 2 team is well beyond tiresome (in my opinion).

Unlike you, I never saw it as a binary choice. The tandem of Z and K could be superlative as we saw in the tourney.

Hoopaholic
05-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Let's hope he quickly becomes the best player on the team.

to be the best you have to engage in alot of different qualities......offensive productivity within the framework of the team, defensive engagement, limiting foul trouble, understanding and embracing role responsibility

everything I have seen and heard is the possibility exists within ZN

time will tell

amaronizag
05-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Zack had 16 3's in one game. Not many guards have done that at ANY level. He will be a scoring machine for GU. Let's hope he get's a lot of help.

Zagger
05-03-2017, 01:41 PM
I've seen "Zack" enough to wonder if it is "Zack" instead of "Zach". gozags.com's GU roster shows "Zach". The guys likely have a nickname for him ...... although I don't know what it is. The resoter says he's a "jr" so maybe "Junior" ????

MDABE80
05-03-2017, 01:49 PM

Now that we know some more things, I doubt Collins was going to stick around is he played 40 min per game. He got his one and done on his talent.not his limited contributions due to his fouling which limited his minutes. He did fine though. I'd love to have both back ( him and Nigel). With them, we're a FF team and without them, unlikely. It's a bitter pill to swallow. Wish em well and let's move on.
Either way though, Collins was a goner. Big or little minutes.

sittingon50
05-03-2017, 02:17 PM
I've seen "Zack" enough to wonder if it is "Zack" instead of "Zach". gozags.com's GU roster shows "Zach". The guys likely have a nickname for him ...... although I don't know what it is. The resoter says he's a "jr" so maybe "Junior" ????

Nickname is "Snacks."

bartruff1
05-03-2017, 02:42 PM
If he is as good as Pargo, I will be very pleased....

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
As of right now, Norvell's knee is not yet a "100%", yet all sound optimistic he'll be fine & ready to go by next October.

Surprised this isn't getting more attention. If Goshzagit is right, and I've seen nothing to contradict him, I'm concerned about that knee. It's already been lingering for quite a while. Anyone know anything further? When would they start considering a second surgery?

Hoopaholic
05-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Surprised this isn't getting more attention. If Goshzagit is right, and I've seen nothing to contradict him, I'm concerned about that knee. It's already been lingering for quite a while. Anyone know anything further? When would they start considering a second surgery?

I guess I go the other way and have seen nothing to indicate that it is NOT 100% healthy and ready to go

johno
05-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Thanks BZ for reminding me how exciting it is to watch the new Zags take the court and develop.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-03-2017, 03:29 PM
I guess I go the other way and have seen nothing to indicate that it is NOT 100% healthy and ready to go

We've got a reliable, well-tenured poster (as far as I know) who's said in two different threads now that he's still not 100%. Could be way off base, but I feel like this board fosters an environment that doesn't tolerate trolling/outright lying/misinformation.

tyra
05-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Memo to GU opponents: guarding Zach N this season will be No. Fun. At. All.

tinfoilzag
05-03-2017, 04:00 PM
If it's about a student's health, the information will always be closely guarded until a coach or player says something. Some have their Gonzaga mafia sources but they aren't going to burn those sources on a forum.

Inner peace can be found when you realize knowing which rumors might be true really doesn't change anything.

Hoopaholic
05-03-2017, 04:05 PM
If it's about a student's health, the information will always be closely guarded until a coach or player says something. Some have their Gonzaga mafia sources but they aren't going to burn those sources on a forum.

Inner peace can be found when you realize knowing which rumors might be true really doesn't change anything.

but other indicators would be open gym, workouts, jogging around campus etc

I have not seen one negative impression, outside of a single poster on the board who speculates alot on health issues but unaware if he/she has inside information. So I am assuming that he is good to go

Hoopaholic
05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
We've got a reliable, well-tenured poster (as far as I know) who's said in two different threads now that he's still not 100%. Could be way off base, but I feel like this board fosters an environment that doesn't tolerate trolling/outright lying/misinformation.

appreciate that position but there is no way of verifying veracity of statements.......past indicators (since we are not talking financials) have shown that accuracy was not a strong suit in regards to health(ie Tille done for season etc).......speculation but not sure verifiable accurate information IMO

Coach Crazy
05-03-2017, 05:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4Rg3Gbo_w

I LOVE Norvell's game. Outstanding shooter, excellent ball-handler, and and I've read on here that his floater rivaled NWG's this past seasons even. Even in the exhibition game (albeit against lesser competition) Norvell looked a step above. Drained a couple threes, had a nifty behind the back move to the basket, and was a great passer. He's a the real deal, and it'll be fun watching him evolve over the years. Not sure about one and done status, because as Worthington mentioned here, he's not a freak athlete, but an excellent multi-year D1 guard. Just have to hope his knee is 100% by the beginning of the season

I have a very...cutting opinion of those who see Zack for less than he is. His lateral quickness is surgical. He has the ability to play effectively at 3 different positions. He needs little-no-space to get a shot off. Can create his own shot. Already one of the best 3-point shooters in the country. Is a superior ball handler with exceptional court vision. Is a facilitator. Has handles better than most PG's. Can sequence his moves to create an effective result, when being defended. Can play man-on defense and has the length to be an issue in passing lanes. Can create turnovers and contribute to their conversion into points off turnovers. He can absorb contact in the paint, and can finish post-contact. He won't jump out of the gym, but he can still get up. Athleticism isn't just about your vertical. You can't move the way he does without athleticism. Can also hit the improvised, trick shots when defense takes something away. i.e. on drives.

As well, look at how he handles and shoots when fully extended. He is incredibly coordinated. Closer to a one and done than a 4-year player. Has the ability to be a lottery pick after his freshman year.

bigblahla
05-03-2017, 08:09 PM
I have a very...cutting opinion of those who see Zack for less than he is. His lateral quickness is surgical. He has the ability to play effectively at 3 different positions. He needs little-no-space to get a shot off. Can create his own shot. Already one of the best 3-point shooters in the country. Is a superior ball handler with exceptional court vision. Is a facilitator. Has handles better than most PG's. Can sequence his moves to create an effective result, when being defended. Can play man-on defense and has the length to be an issue in passing lanes. Can create turnovers and contribute to their conversion into points off turnovers. He can absorb contact in the paint, and can finish post-contact. He won't jump out of the gym, but he can still get up. Athleticism isn't just about your vertical. You can't move the way he does without athleticism. Can also hit the improvised, trick shots when defense takes something away. i.e. on drives.

As well, look at how he handles and shoots when fully extended. He is incredibly coordinated. Closer to a one and done than a 4-year player. Has the ability to be a lottery pick after his freshman year.

Yep....

Go!! Zags!!!

zagsfanforlife
05-03-2017, 08:32 PM
How much has zack been able to do during his red shirt year. Him and wades highlight films are two of the most SKILLFUL I have seen from guys coming out. Just like wade, diff circumstances I wonder how much zack has been able to play, lift, workout. Typically a guy with his skill level is a star or close to it right out of the gate IF he's been able to practice, get steadtnwirkouts and improve his body during his redshirt year. How much and how consistent has his workout been?

DagsZags
05-04-2017, 08:07 AM

I completely agree with everything you said. He's NBA talent, no doubt, and your comments about his athleticism are very true. Not just that, if that knee issue was lingering during his senior year (when this mixtape was created), we can only imagine how great he'll be once fully healthy. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he had the kind of freshman season to be a one and done, but I definitely agree he's closer to that than a 4-year player

Zagger
05-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Nickname is "Snacks."

I like that one. We can have some fun with it ..... I'll create some "3" 'artwork' around his nickname - for next season.

Worthington
05-04-2017, 10:23 AM

I agree with much of what you said in your first paragraph, but I respectfully have to disagree with your last remarks.

It should not be taken for granted how elite you have to be in order to be a one and done. We have had one in the history of our program and he was a bouncy, 7 foot, McDonald's All-American and even he's not a lock to be a lottery selection. I love Zach's game, but his first step, leaping ability and length are below average by NBA standards. Take a look at the highlights of any guard who's a projected lottery pick in this draft and the athletic differences are apparent. I don't mean this as a knock on him, his skill level is top notch, he will likely have a bigger impact on the program than any one and done could, and if he continues to develop he might have a shot at the NBA in some capacity, but he just doesn't fit the archetype of what NBA teams look for in lottery picks.

btzag
05-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Skill also goes a long way in the league...look at Curry, Harden, CP, Heyward, Isaiah Thomas, etc... I know athleticism is hugely important in the league also but just want to point that you can be a so so athlete and still be special.

gbnyba17
05-04-2017, 11:19 AM
wow that crossover is nasty...

maynard g krebs
05-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Totally agree about his skill level, and I don't watch the NBA so I'm often baffled by who becomes a star and who doesn't make it. That said, draftexpress says his wingspan is 6'2, and they are making such a huge deal out of that these days. For example, Dillon Brooks of Oregon is 6'6 or 7 w/ a 6'4 wingspan, and after all his accomplishments on the college level and w/ a vastly improved shot, he's considered a second rounder as a jr. And I think a lot of the stuff you said about Zach applies to Brooks as well. If Zach is as good a college player overall as Brooks, I'll take it.

And I think he can be that good.

ZagMan in Philly
05-04-2017, 04:36 PM

which one?

NotoriousZ
05-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Zach Norvell.

I predict he'll be the biggest and most pleasant surprise for the Zags next season, with Jesse Wade a close second. Normally I'd include Kispert, but until I see that his foot is 100% I'll hold off.

Thanks for posting this, Bob. Last year's Kraziness in the Kennel was the only time I've seen Norvell in action, but that was enough. This is a special one.

And from what I've seen of Kispert, next year could be another one for the books. The team"s going to be faster and more explosive. Get and stay healthy guys.

kitzbuel
05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
His nickname should be Yo-yo.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BULLDOG#1
05-06-2017, 12:35 PM
I enjoy the hype as much as the next guy, but this thread is getting beyond the usual kool-aid drinking.

I look forward to seeing the kid play and believe he will contribute, but the talk of sure-fire NBA and one-and-done is way over the top.

He was 82nd in the top100 -- that tells me that he's a great get for GU, but not exactly NBA material (in the opinion of the scouts). Have we a diamond in the rough and the scouts got it wrong? I guess it's possible, but we haven't even see the kid play on minute of NCAA ball and nothing other than a high-school tape to judge. Maybe the hype should be contained, just a little...

SunDevilGolfZag
05-06-2017, 04:51 PM
I'll mix up some Kool Aid and predict that ZN plays in an Elite 8 and perhaps a Final Four in a Zags uni. I like his Pargo like swagger and tremendous skill set and I think he might become a team leader. Just hope he stays healthy.

Coach Crazy
05-06-2017, 05:35 PM
I enjoy the hype as much as the next guy, but this thread is getting beyond the usual kool-aid drinking.

I look forward to seeing the kid play and believe he will contribute, but the talk of sure-fire NBA and one-and-done is way over the top.

He was 82nd in the top100 -- that tells me that he's a great get for GU, but not exactly NBA material (in the opinion of the scouts). Have we a diamond in the rough and the scouts got it wrong? I guess it's possible, but we haven't even see the kid play on minute of NCAA ball and nothing other than a high-school tape to judge. Maybe the hype should be contained, just a little...

The scouts got it wrong, if they think he was going to be a four-year player. The scouts got it wrong if they thought he had no chance of going 1-and-Done. The scouts got it wrong if they think that all of his strengths are to be subsidized under one or two variables that are not where they think those should be.

Yes, the scouts got it wrong.

bigblahla
05-06-2017, 08:40 PM
If he is as good as Pargo, I will be very pleased....

Pargo is the reason he is at GU....bart we're all going to be smiling if his knee is healthy....just like BZ said ZN & JW are going to be something to watch...and so is Kispert if he's healthy...

Go!! Zags!!!

BULLDOG#1
05-08-2017, 11:46 AM
The scouts got it wrong, if they think he was going to be a four-year player. The scouts got it wrong if they thought he had no chance of going 1-and-Done. The scouts got it wrong if they think that all of his strengths are to be subsidized under one or two variables that are not where they think those should be.

Yes, the scouts got it wrong.

And you're basing this on what, exactly?

Do you have some insider knowledge, or are you judging from the mix tapes we've all seen? To me, those tapes show a great player, but i'm not seeing a sure-fire pro.

Great to have the kid as a zag and I'm guessing he'll have a great career at GU, but let's keep it real...

MDABE80
05-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Videos are from HS. He's much better now. Unfortunately his injury has slowed him. I do think he'll be ready to go in 5 months though. As I reviewed the videos, he'll be needing much more expansion of his game. He's got the goods.