PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Week Proposal -KeyArena Seattle

Zagdawg
05-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Gonzaga Guru aka Zags Guru
9 hrs
Retweeted Kevin Pelton (@kpelton):
Reading the Seattle Partners proposal to renovate KeyArena and they propose a "Basketball Week" w/UW, Gonzaga, WSU and SU all hosting games.

Zagger
05-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Gonzaga Guru aka Zags Guru
9 hrs
Retweeted Kevin Pelton (@kpelton):
Reading the Seattle Partners proposal to renovate KeyArena and they propose a "Basketball Week" w/UW, Gonzaga, WSU and SU all hosting games.

Throw in EWU too and I'd go for certain - every year.

Gonzdb8
05-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Throw in EWU too and I'd go for certain - every year.

well sure. if you absolutely positively need a marquee lineup its tough to leave out ewu.
i think the bigger factor for how successful this might be is what opponents get lined up. i don't see many around here making that trip just to see us beat up on southern alabama. but in theory this seems like a great idea.

Kiddwell
05-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Don't we already have something over in Seattle? The intermittent "Battle in Seattle?" Why another game over there? Maybe Kiddwell's too suspicious, but this sounds like that former enticement by Romar to play all the GU vs UWKFC games in Seattle. We agree to this, then next thing you know they're pitching GU vs UWKFC only in Seattle again.

:(

:[

CDC84
05-02-2017, 10:16 AM
The Battle In Seattle organizer died several years ago. GU has been unwilling to get into any kind of neutral floor Seattle games unless there is another financial backer. There is just too much risk involved in staging the event every single year and taking the financial hit if they can't find a great opponent to play.

The fact that there are backers for a new event is a positive thing. But still, I just can't see GU agreeing to the thing unless they can face elite teams.

509er
05-02-2017, 10:35 AM
The Battle In Seattle organizer died several years ago. GU has been unwilling to get into any kind of neutral floor Seattle games unless there is another financial backer. There is just too much risk involved in staging the event every single year and taking the financial hit if they can't find a great opponent to play.

The fact that there are backers for a new event is a positive thing. But still, I just can't see GU agreeing to the thing unless they can face elite teams.

To me a great battle in Seattle opponent would be WSU. Sellout every year and it would piss off uw for bonus points. I doubt either school would go for it but as a fan who was very dissaponted to see this series end it would be great. If not WSU, Oregon would be a good opponent. They probably wouldn't agree to a home and home with GU but they'd also like to piss off the hussies and would also be a guaranteed sell out.

zagamatic
05-02-2017, 09:49 PM
I don't understand why we haven't worked out a deal with Oregon where one year we play in Seattle and another year in Portland. There's gotta be more than enough alumni / pure basketball fan support to make both venues very profitable for both teams

CDC84
05-03-2017, 07:45 AM
It could have something to do with the fact that Few is uncomfortable playing his alma mater. I am totally guessing, but I have not heard of any Gonzaga/Oregon series rumors in Few's entire head coaching career at Gonzaga. And it doesn't seem to matter who the coach is....whether it's Uncle Ernie or Altman.

cjm720
05-03-2017, 08:15 AM
I'm not a fan of the arena idea at Seattle Center. Not enough parking and poor infrastructure to get people in and out of the area.

CDC84
05-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Has it been pretty much decided by the city that there will be no new arena.....that Key Arena gets refurbished or that's it? Or have there been some alternative sites proposed to build a new one from scratch? The ultimate goal, of course, is to land an NBA team.

willandi
05-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Currently there are two groups with plans on the table, presenting them to renovate the Key. There is still Hanson's plan to build in Sodo. I believe the city is committed to one of the three.

The Key plans look good, aside from the parking problem. The ideas are to keep the roof (it's a historic landmark[?]) and dig down to provide a large seating bowl, all the dressing rooms and offices, with a large atrium. The concessions will remain on the ground level.

Hanson has plans to build all new near the Mariners and Seahawks facilities, including an overpass/bypass for the port, and include new parking to augment existing.

Both will be reachable with the light rail, the key requiring the monorail to end the journey. All are claiming no public funds will be needed, and each wants to lure NBA and NHL as well as concerts etc to fill out their schedule. The city is supposedly looking at all three and will make a decision within a year (?).