PDA

View Full Version : We are desperate for a Big

tyra
05-02-2017, 01:37 AM
We are desperate for a Big. That is a statement of the obvious. We will get one. Zero doubt. Where is he likeliest to come from? A 2017 recruit? (The pool is pretty depleted.) Overseas? (Plenty of past success but who knows?) A juco transfer? (Would that be enough help?) A grad transfer? What do you the think? And why?

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-02-2017, 02:37 AM
I don't think we are as desperate as some years. We have a lot of size and depth on the wing to mitigate our diminished size and depth at the center position. Those bigger wings can slide over to the 4 position and let one of our outstanding power forwards man the 5 spot. Assuming that JW III returns, we should have the best pair of power forwards in college basketball. We will only have one true center, but either an athletic, physical 6'9" power forward (like Williams), or a long, athletic, skilled 6'10" power forward (like Tillie) would be a better option to man the 5 spot than a bigger, slower developmental body. I think we'll be okay for the coming year.

We do need to find another big man who can play in 2018. By then, Williams will be gone. Tillie and/or Hachimura may also leave for the pro leagues. A Chase Jeter option, i.e. a player who can sit a year and then play in 2018, could fill that need.

WallaWallaZag
05-02-2017, 02:56 AM
zags will be fine...most college bb teams don't have a true center.
sure, there will be guys the zags can't guard 1-on-1 in the post, but the zags overall size/length/athleticism should allow them to double effectively without causing too many problems at other spots.

tyra
05-02-2017, 03:18 AM
I take your comments to heart BUT it is the depth issue. We lose one of these three and we are thin thin thin. Jacob's recovery is a question mark and Killian has had some injuries in his career. Having only three bigs seems to be tempting fate even though two of these guys are exceptional (and I think Killian is going to have a monster season).

MileHigh
05-02-2017, 03:52 AM
We are desperate for a Big. That is a statement of the obvious. We will get one. Zero doubt. Where is he likeliest to come from? A 2017 recruit? (The pool is pretty depleted.) Overseas? (Plenty of past success but who knows?) A juco transfer? (Would that be enough help?) A grad transfer? What do you the think? And why?

I doubt you get a quality grad transfer because those guys usually don't transfer to places where they know they will be a back-up. Tillie and Williams are set in stone as the starters next year. And yes, I am assuming Williams doesn't stay in the draft (why would he?)

Incoming frosh would be the best bet. Play behind Tillie and Williams for a year and then be a potential starter as a soph. I would think any top 150 unsigned 2017 kid would look at Gonzaga real closely over the next couple of weeks.

thebigsmoove
05-02-2017, 04:37 AM
I feel like most people are sleeping on Jacob Larsen. He is immensely talented. He has great size. He will step into the role Karnowski left and contribute right away. I have no doubt we will be fine with Larsen/Tillie/JW3. Now if we can sign Chase Jeter so he will be ready to step in 2018 and contribute, all the better.

GoZags
05-02-2017, 05:02 AM
I feel like most people are sleeping on Jacob Larsen. He is immensely talented. He has great size. He will step into the role Karnowski left and contribute right away. I have no doubt we will be fine with Larsen/Tillie/JW3. Now if we can sign Chase Jeter so he will be ready to step in 2018 and contribute, all the better.

While I agree with the above I'd love to see a guy like Abdullahi Kuso come into the fold. Kuso remains an underrated guy who's contributions helped keep the NCAA tourney streak alive.

thebigsmoove
05-02-2017, 05:09 AM
While I agree with the above I'd love to see a guy like Abdullahi Kuso come into the fold. Kuso remains an underrated guy who's contributions helped keep the NCAA tourney streak alive.

Nothing against finding an under the radar guy to contribute. We do have 3 scholarships still available after all.

Ekrub
05-02-2017, 05:38 AM

Hope so - I know he has put on some muscle... but it seems some around here were tempering their enthusiasm around him. Any reported jumps in his game sense he has been here? Or did the injury keep him sidelined all season

TheGonzagaFactor
05-02-2017, 05:56 AM

I have heard good/great things about Larsen's game, but it's terrifying to me that we only have 3 bigs and two of them have a significant injury history. Tillie has had his injuries including last season and I don't know if Larsen has played anywhere near a full season since he has been big. Also, only one of the three bigs has real playing time at this level. Tillie got PT last season but always against the other team's scrubs and ALWAYS had Karno/Collins/JW3 on the court with him to take the tougher matchup. I like Tillie, but his game will look a lot different now that he's going to be depended on.

Even if Williams has a career year and Larsen/Tillie stay healthy and play to or above expectations, this team NEEDS another big. He doesn't have to be great. Even Edwards staying would make me feel much better about the situation. I just don't want to see this team forced to play 5 guards on the floor at once with 3-4 of them having little to no experience, which is very possible given the current roster situation. If Williams returns we will have our top rebounder back but will still lose 53% of our rebounding from last season.

WallaWallaZag
05-02-2017, 06:03 AM

exactly the kind of guy who would fit...backup big who can rebound and play some d block some shots...kuso was the guy i was trying to think of but my brain kept coming up with mamery diallo.

Hoopaholic
05-02-2017, 06:10 AM
I have heard good/great things about Larsen's game, but it's terrifying to me that we only have 3 bigs and two of them have a significant injury history. Tillie has had his injuries including last season and I don't know if Larsen has played anywhere near a full season since he has been big. Also, only one of the three bigs has real playing time at this level. Tillie got PT last season but always against the other team's scrubs and ALWAYS had Karno/Collins/JW3 on the court with him to take the tougher matchup. I like Tillie, but his game will look a lot different now that he's going to be depended on.

Even if Williams has a career year and Larsen/Tillie stay healthy and play to or above expectations, this team NEEDS another big. He doesn't have to be great. Even Edwards staying would make me feel much better about the situation. I just don't want to see this team forced to play 5 guards on the floor at once with 3-4 of them having little to no experience, which is very possible given the current roster situation. If Williams returns we will have our top rebounder back but will still lose 53% of our rebounding from last season.

tille played only against 'srubs"

hmmm I must have watched different games, especially post season

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2017, 06:24 AM

Tillie should be the least of your worries, he's actually an all-around better player than Williams.

btzag
05-02-2017, 06:27 AM
I take your comments to heart BUT it is the depth issue. We lose one of these three and we are thin thin thin. Jacob's recovery is a question mark and Killian has had some injuries in his career. Having only three bigs seems to be tempting fate even though two of these guys are exceptional (and I think Killian is going to have a monster season).

No you are completely correct about the depth issue especially with the injury history of those 3 guys. I also guarantee you that Few and staff feel this same way. There will be another eligible big next year who we don't know about yet. My guess...Tommy will pull a big from overseas because honestly that player is immediately the backup for the national champ runner-ups.

cggonzaga
05-02-2017, 07:17 AM

So you're saying we're getting a JC transfer!

GoZags
05-02-2017, 07:25 AM

You never know what Tommy, Donny and Brian have up their sleeve(s) .... but they seldom disappoint (particularly the last half decade or so).

SWZag
05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Can someone explain to me why we have so many "the sky is falling" threads? Seems people really have no confidence in our current, known players.

MontanaCoyote
05-02-2017, 07:38 AM
You can't, but if you could find another Karno and just have him do nothing but fill up the paint for 10 minutes a game you'd have what you need. I like bringing Larson into this. I'm betting he'll be more than ready and will alloy a lot of concerns.

CDC84
05-02-2017, 07:47 AM
It would really be ideal to grab a grad transfer in this department. Larsen has been injured and away from the game. It's going to take time. Get a grad transfer, and allow Jeter to replace him (wishful thinking).

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Here you go:

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100

Antone Warren, the #5 ranked juco seems to be available. he's 6'11 and I literally know absolutely nothing about him.

Never mind, he apparently signed with an agent:

https://melgru23.com/2017/03/26/antone-warren-to-declare-for-nba-draft-and-pursue-professional-basketball-opportunities/

titopoet
05-02-2017, 08:02 AM
You never know what Tommy, Donny and Brian have up their sleeve(s) .... but they seldom disappoint (particularly the last half decade or so).

Last years team had the luxury of four great bigs, that is not the norm for the whole of college basketball. Only a couple teams in the entire NCAA could possibly boost of such depth. What I always admire about Coach Few and his skill, a rarity among college coaches, of having a strong system playing his way and that still have enough flexibility to his players skill sets. Matt Bouldin was used as a post player, or the multiscreen action to get Pangos open.

With the game going more small ball and Few having big guards, I see him making some adjustments to his system again to play to his players strengths. Mostly likely less playing through the bigs that he did with Karno. In the tourney this year, I saw him use JWIII in face up opportunities and he showed he had a great faceup game that he did not use as much with playing off Karno. Same for Tillie. I think Few will spread out the court more with his team and allow his very backcourt and wings to go off. If Rui plays off guys at the wing, where he will be a mismatch nightmare and if the reports of Larsen being a good outside shooter, then this team will play differently but very effective.

Having four bigs was a fluke in that when Collins committed, Karno was still a senior before his injury. When Karno came back from his medical redshirt, it became four bigs. It would be nice to have four quality bigs, but that is not the norm. It will be hard to get a fourth big as the ones good enough will see three other bigs on the roster and think about the lack of playing time.

Zagdawg
05-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Full-Time Hoops‏
@FullTimeHoops1

Gonzaga, SDSU, UConn, St Johns, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa St, St Louis, and Clemson are in the mix for Cal grad transfer Kameron Rooks.

7'1" 265 lbs

17 mins --4.9 pts and 4.5 boards

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66330/kameron-rooks

TexasZagFan
05-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Full-Time Hoops‏
@FullTimeHoops1

Gonzaga, SDSU, UConn, St Johns, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa St, St Louis, and Clemson are in the mix for Cal grad transfer Kameron Rooks.

7'1" 265 lbs

17 mins --4.9 pts and 4.5 boards

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66330/kameron-rooks

Wonder if he's talked to Jordan?

GoZags
05-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Wonder if he's talked to Jordan?

My guess is yes. My other guess is he's been talking to Jordan's Godfather as well.

Coach Crazy
05-02-2017, 10:23 AM
My guess is yes. My other guess is he's been talking to Jordan's Godfather as well.

Indeed. And he makes sense. Especially if he can get to campus soon and begin working with Travis. Getting him means we don't lose all of those deep-entry inside-out sets. Being able to run their current screen/action with the motion would create a nice boost for this next year's potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btzag
05-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Can someone explain to me why we have so many "the sky is falling" threads? Seems people really have no confidence in our current, known players.

Because, right now, we don't have enough current known players at the 4/5 position (or bigs if you prefer that) to get through a full successful season. And unknowns are fun to debate! When Jwill comes back, we secure a grad transfer like Rooks and Tommy reels in an exciting Euro big everyone will calm down. But not until ALL that happens!

hooter73
05-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Doom!

Naw, even if we dont get another ready-to-go big, we'll be ok. Not National Championship ok, but ok. Domas and Wiltjer played as stretch fours and the team did fine, although almost didnt make the tourny... but whatever. We've done well with less before. I imagine Larsen will get anywhere from 18-28 minutes per game if he can hack it, otherwise it will be Tillie and JIII playing deeper than they like on defense but on the other side of the court the wings will have some dang open lanes to do their damage from. Its a big departure from what we saw last year but by no means not something we've never done before.

MickMick
05-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Throw Rui into the deep end. Sink or swim.

Either he gots it...... or he don't

tyra
05-02-2017, 11:24 AM
I don't think the sky is falling or that we are doomed. What I do think is that having only three bigs subjects us to considerable injury and/or foul risk. I don't think we need to bring in a McD's talent but just someone who can give us some minutes each game to provide a blow or minimize foul trouble. Without that, I think we are at risk and limited in in-game options. That's all I'm saying.

thebigsmoove
05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Looks like we are in on Kameron Rooks. Would be eligible for next year as a graduate transfer. Averaged 4.9 points and 4.5 boards at Cal last year.

Gonzaga in on Rooks (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/02/gonzaga-one-of-nine-on-cal-graduate-transfer-kamer/)

This one makes a lot of sense, he would provide a lot of size and depth.

maynard g krebs
05-02-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't see it as a huge problem. Three quality bigs is probably more than most teams have. Injuries are just a fact of life in CBB; you have to be lucky w/ health most of the time to have a deep tourney run. As others have mentioned, players are gonna see GU's 3 bigs and look elsewhere, esp grad transfers.

If somebody gets hurt, Rui and CK are both big enough to provide backup minutes at the 4, and both would present matchup problems for opponents there, Rui with his driving ability and CK with his shooting and passing.

Oregon last year is a good case in point, esp after Boucher went down. But all year they played Dillon Brooks extensively at the 4, with 3 smallish guards, and made the f4. I liked Tito's post above re how the team will be able to play next year. Going smaller and using the versatility on next year's team to create matchup problems seems like a better option imo than giving those backup minutes to a marginal fill-in big.

A big body like Rooks would be a luxury, but it seems to me that he'd get maybe 15 min a game w/ the Zags, and unlikely a grad tranf would be happy w/ that.

Just for fun, imagine this lineup running and gunning for a few minutes: Rui at the 5, Kispert the 4, Norvell the 3, Melson the 2, JP the 1. 6'8, 6'7, 6'5, 6'4, 6'3 per listings at least. That's as big as a lot of teams in CBB.

hooter73
05-02-2017, 12:54 PM
It would be nice to add an 8-12 mpg big.

Zagceo
05-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Just for fun, imagine this lineup running and gunning for a few minutes: Rui at the 5, Kispert the 4, Norvell the 3, Melson the 2, JP the 1. 6'8, 6'7, 6'5, 6'4, 6'3 per listings at least. That's as big as a lot of teams in CBB.

:clap:

btzag
05-02-2017, 01:24 PM
In the last 20 years of GU ball we have never 'gone small' as a serious rotation option, i.e. used for long stretches in meaningful games. Just sayin. Gimme Rooks please.

amaronizag
05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
For pure running and gunning, Joel and Jessie might have to fit in there for a few minutes also.

seacatfan
05-02-2017, 01:38 PM
In the last 20 years of GU ball we have never 'gone small' as a serious rotation option, i.e. used for long stretches in meaningful games. Just sayin. Gimme Rooks please.

Daye spent his entire career out of position playing the 4. Some other vastly undersized guys have spent some time at the 4 like Pendo, Hart and Barham. The Zags haven't always had 4 quality bigs at a time on the roster, that's kind of a luxury. I think some fans have quickly gotten spoiled by it. They've frequently gotten by w/ a rotation of 3 bigs and no viable option behind those 3.

tinfoilzag
05-02-2017, 02:14 PM
GU doesn't appear to be desperate for a big. It will probably be a 8-9 man rotation.

Jacob Larsen 6’11”
Killian Tillie 6’10”
Johnathan Williams 6’9″
Rui Hachimura 6’8″
Corey Kispert 6’6″
Jeremy Jones 6’6″
Zach Norvell 6’5″
Silas Melson 6’4″
Joel Ayayi 6’4″
Josh Perkins 6’3″
Dustin Triano 6’3″
Jesse Wade 6’2″
Jack Beach 6’2″

If we GU was desperate for anything (which it isn't) it would be experience. We'll need leadership out of JW3, Josh, and Silas. Discretion from the bigs to keep out of foul trouble and poise from freshman. Rui needs improve his grasp of the US college game to unlock his potential. I would say it's a matter of when than if.

DixieZag
05-02-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't see it as a huge problem. Three quality bigs is probably more than most teams have. Injuries are just a fact of life in CBB; you have to be lucky w/ health most of the time to have a deep tourney run. As others have mentioned, players are gonna see GU's 3 bigs and look elsewhere, esp grad transfers.

If somebody gets hurt, Rui and CK are both big enough to provide backup minutes at the 4, and both would present matchup problems for opponents there, Rui with his driving ability and CK with his shooting and passing.

Oregon last year is a good case in point, esp after Boucher went down. But all year they played Dillon Brooks extensively at the 4, with 3 smallish guards, and made the f4. I liked Tito's post above re how the team will be able to play next year. Going smaller and using the versatility on next year's team to create matchup problems seems like a better option imo than giving those backup minutes to a marginal fill-in big.

A big body like Rooks would be a luxury, but it seems to me that he'd get maybe 15 min a game w/ the Zags, and unlikely a grad tranf would be happy w/ that.

I always wonder why Rui isn't mentioned much in these threads. True, when he walks on the floor he isn't what is classically thought of as a "big," and he's not going to post anyone up from what we've seen, but in terms of play, he's going to "look" awfully big when those shoulders and wingspan are 3 feet in the air above a guy.

True, he looked as raw as frozen hamburger this last year, but it sounds like he came in knowing about as much English as I do Japanese, which pretty well negates the first semester - the most important learning part of the year, and from that point on, he's in scrub minutes and granted, still looking a little lost, but my point is, all of that ought to change next year. He's supposed to be quite bright (he came here!) and you immerse anyone pretty smart in a culture for a year and have them work on English, language and basketball, and I doubt anyone would ever have a sophomore jump like he might show.

Maybe I'm hoping too much. But, as was mentioned this year, "NBA athleticism" and that doesn't come around all that much, there's simply got to be a way to effectively use him in his second year, and there's an outside chance that once he gets meaningful minutes and settles in a little, he could be well above average.

Ezag
05-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Don't need a big, big. The shift is moving away from traditional centers in college and especially the NBA

maynard g krebs
05-02-2017, 03:30 PM
I always wonder why Rui isn't mentioned much in these threads. True, when he walks on the floor he isn't what is classically thought of as a "big," and he's not going to post anyone up from what we've seen, but in terms of play, he's going to "look" awfully big when those shoulders and wingspan are 3 feet in the air above a guy.

True, he looked as raw as frozen hamburger this last year, but it sounds like he came in knowing about as much English as I do Japanese, which pretty well negates the first semester - the most important learning part of the year, and from that point on, he's in scrub minutes and granted, still looking a little lost, but my point is, all of that ought to change next year. He's supposed to be quite bright (he came here!) and you immerse anyone pretty smart in a culture for a year and have them work on English, language and basketball, and I doubt anyone would ever have a sophomore jump like he might show.

Maybe I'm hoping too much. But, as was mentioned this year, "NBA athleticism" and that doesn't come around all that much, there's simply got to be a way to effectively use him in his second year, and there's an outside chance that once he gets meaningful minutes and settles in a little, he could be well above average.

My intent was to show that there are alternatives for backup bigs in case of injury/foul trouble, and that this team will have a lot of versatility in how they can play. Adding a big would be nice, but not an absolute need imo. As to Rui, if the coaches expect him to make a big jump, that's something they wouldn't be saying w/o good reason.

Ezag
05-02-2017, 03:31 PM
My intent was to show that there are alternatives for backup bigs in case of injury/foul trouble, and that this team will have a lot of versatility in how they can play. Adding a big would be nice, but not an absolute need imo. As to Rui, if the coaches expect him to make a big jump, that's something they wouldn't be saying w/o good reason.

Agreed! If Rui is ooozing all the potential I keep hearing about, then unleash the beast!

btzag
05-02-2017, 04:21 PM

I would be scared to see Rui try and guard a good 4 on the post, say a Markannen or a UNC post, that is a real bad matchup and pretty unfair to expect a young kid like that to play out of position. This stuff is ok for WCC play but we have a top notch non-conf schedule where our bigs will be really tested.

ZAG 4 LIFE
05-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Don't need a big, big. The shift is moving away from traditional centers in college and especially the NBA

Of course this roster as is has a lot of very good players... but all 3 "bigs" have dealt with knee issues in their recent past... so a 4th big
is a priority. In addition... the only "5" on the roster is a RS freshman, who has not played much in the past two years, and he is coming off
ACL surgery. Larsen is a good player, and he may be just fine health wise, but it would be nice/wise to have another 5 in tow.
Imagine playing Londale next year with only Larsen... Jacob could be in foul trouble 3 minutes into the game, and then who battles that guy
on the low block the rest of the half, when Bennett runs every play through the big guy? We of course would mix up defenses, maybe some zone,
double Londale from different spots on the floor each possession... which of course can lead to open 3's... no bueno to allow the Gaels open 3's.
Depth is important... the 4th big does not have to be a star, but he has to be credible... and... he has to be a true big.
Most nights in the WCC it may not matter... against really good teams it will.

Zag_Dad
05-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Of course this roster as is has a lot of very good players... but all 3 "bigs" have dealt with knee issues in their recent past... so a 4th big
is a priority. In addition... the only "5" on the roster is a RS freshman, who has not played much in the past two years, and he is coming off
ACL surgery. Larsen is a good player, and he may be just fine health wise, but it would be nice/wise to have another 5 in tow.
Imaging playing Londale next year with only Larsen... Jacob could be in foul trouble 3 minutes into the game, and then who battles that guy
on the low block the rest of the half, when Bennett runs every play through the big guy? We of course would mix up defenses, maybe some zone,
double Londale from different spots on the floor each possession... which of course can lead to open 3's... no bueno to allow the Gaels open 3's.
Depth is important... the 4th big does not have to be a star, but he has to be credible... and... he has to be a true big.

Yes /\

willandi
05-02-2017, 07:25 PM
I would be scared to see Rui try and guard a good 4 on the post, say a Markannen or a UNC post, that is a real bad matchup and pretty unfair to expect a young kid like that to play out of position. This stuff is ok for WCC play but we have a top notch non-conf schedule where our bigs will be really tested.

In't that what he did in the international ball? He played center or PF for Japan, against the USA, and did well.

zagfan1
05-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Based on the offense Few wants to run we are getting another big. He doesn't have to be as good as Collins. Above average is what we are looking for. Patience. We still have time to find someone:)

Zagdawg
05-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Watching Rui bang down low-- he is very strong and he was considered a "big" in Japan --but the guys he was banging against were a bit smaller than what he has seen here.

mgadfly
05-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Daye spent his entire career out of position playing the 4. Some other vastly undersized guys have spent some time at the 4 like Pendo, Hart and Barham. The Zags haven't always had 4 quality bigs at a time on the roster, that's kind of a luxury. I think some fans have quickly gotten spoiled by it. They've frequently gotten by w/ a rotation of 3 bigs and no viable option behind those 3.

You are right.

In 2009, after Sacre went down with the injury, we had Heytvelt at the 5 when he was really a 4, Daye at the 4, and Downs (I think he was 6'8" 125 lbs or so) was the "big" off the bench. When we needed to beef up a little more we brought in 6'4" Ira Brown and if we were up by thirty Will Foster got a couple minutes of action. The year before Pendo got a lot of time at the "4" but they did have 4 bigs (Kuso, Heytvelt, Daye, Sacre) until The Suspension.

MDABE80
05-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Imagine playing Londale next year with only Larsen... Jacob could be in foul trouble 3 minutes into the game, and then who battles that guy

Good thoughtful post.

btzag
05-03-2017, 04:59 AM
You are right.

In 2009, after Sacre went down with the injury, we had Heytvelt at the 5 when he was really a 4, Daye at the 4, and Downs (I think he was 6'8" 125 lbs or so) was the "big" off the bench. When we needed to beef up a little more we brought in 6'4" Ira Brown and if we were up by thirty Will Foster got a couple minutes of action. The year before Pendo got a lot of time at the "4" but they did have 4 bigs (Kuso, Heytvelt, Daye, Sacre) until The Suspension.

Again though, Few went into both seasons not expecting to play Downs or Pendo at the 4. I think Few will attempt the same this year. But like you said injuries, etc happen and Rui might be able to fill in but there is a big difference between making it your plan or being forced into it.

Zaga
05-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Throw Rui into the deep end. Sink or swim. Either he gots it...... or he don't

I'm betting Rui is a swimmer. Love the sneak peek at his athleticism so far. Hoping he is a complete player this year!

sittingon50
05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
You are right.

"6'8" 125 lbs" :roll: