PDA

View Full Version : Chase Jeter on Campus Today per Evan Daniels

Zags_Fanatic
04-29-2017, 08:35 AM
Hoping the staff can lock him up for a year in the Olynyk Clinic. Wish he could have visited with NWG, Karno and especially Zach Collins there.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/858348797679874051

Snagglezag
04-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Kool-aid aside, Jeter's new home should seem obvious if he's serious about improving his game. UA, UCLA, SDSU and UNLV don't hold a candle to GU's player development program.

Hoopaholic
04-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Come join the zags chase. Spend a year of improvement in body and skill and then explode

ZagMan in Philly
04-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Travis Knight will convince him.

MDABE80
04-29-2017, 10:27 AM
I hope the new building impresses him as it did Collins.

Bogozags
04-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Well, if this is true and he is on campus, then the coaching staff and many of us on this board agree that he has skills that can be developed and benefit GU for a year or two. Let's hope he agrees that his future development as a player and person would best be fit here at GU.

Ezag
04-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Travis Knight will convince him.

Travis is a good man!

zagfan1
04-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Speaking about Zach. What is worse, wishing he stayed one year longer and saying a few emotional things in social media or saying nothing at all? People comment because they care. I don't consider that a bad thing. Zag fans care about the players. I am sure Chase would appreciate that thought. We are GU and basketball means a lot like the Dukie fans and Kentucky fans. We are "Americas team"! Now Chase a big welcome to you in Spokane and hope you like it.

MDABE80
04-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Chase just needs to get patched up and have someone get him trained. Too often the glitzy places don't. GU is not glitzy by any stretch but we have results. Result! I hope he get some time to meet Travis and reflect on who can do him the very best job. Just because he may go to a Duke or a UCLA doesn't mean much when he's lacking strength and skill. We have that waiting for him. Kelly O ought to give him a call and relay his experience. Sabonis too. Sometimes kids need a chat with someone who's traveled the road with us and succeeded in the NBA----- if that's his goal.

raise the zag
04-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Chase Jeter very high on Arizona.

Pleasantly surprised if he chooses us.

We arent #1, was told that, but maybe the visit can win him over.

We have work to do to get him to sign.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-29-2017, 05:24 PM
I am not sure this kid has reached the point of basketball enlightenment that would allow us to get him. He seems very much still interested in the "marble staircases" of the basketball world. This feels very much like his high school recruitment 2.0. As opposed to only wanting to get better and win basketball games. Maybe I am wrong and he just wants to be very thorough about his second and final homes but when I see school names like Cal, San Diego ST, and UNLV I get the impression of a kid who still cares about more than just developing and winning.

I hope I am wrong but my guess is that he will end up at another blue blood type school like Arizona or UCLA as they have the conference and glitz and glamour.

jazzdelmar
04-29-2017, 05:35 PM
If the Nike fits, .....

Murphy outgo lifer
04-29-2017, 06:09 PM
I am not up-to-date on Arizona basketball and how they use and develop bigs. SeaCat can you give me some insight and your opinion on where he would be a better fit ? Just from my limited observations over the years it seems like they use a lot of athletic bigs in more of an NBA type style where less is ran for them in the offense.

zagfan1
04-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Romar is now at Arizona so we know how the development will go. He is in this situation because he needs to work on some areas. Gonzaga has a proven track record. Most logical pick to me if he wants to be a lottery pick.

zagsfanforlife
04-29-2017, 07:19 PM
He and the grad transfer from Pitt may both end up at AZ. Visiting together. Hmm.. hopefully we can get SOMEONE who can contribute next year

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2017, 08:12 PM
He and the grad transfer from Pitt may both end up at AZ. Visiting together. Hmm.. hopefully we can get SOMEONE who can contribute next year

CJ would have to sit out anyway, so he wouldn't be immediate help.

tinfoilzag
04-29-2017, 08:46 PM

AZ has 5-star front court recruits coming in in 17 and 18. I'm not sure why Jeter would put himself in the position to be limited in minutes again due to stiff competition.

CDC84
04-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Romar is now at Arizona so we know how the development will go. He is in this situation because he needs to work on some areas. Gonzaga has a proven track record. Most logical pick to me if he wants to be a lottery pick.

I think a big part of the reason why Sean Miller put Romar on his staff had to do with recruiting...not player development. I think Sean realized after the sweet 16 disaster that he needed to get an assistant on the staff that would ease his load in the recruiting dept. so that he could get back to more player development. He wants to work on the team more and recruit less. I actually felt it may have been one of the best coaching hires of this entire offseason. No one can refute the fact that Romar brings in talent. And with the U of A sweater on, his recruiting prowess just got even more imposing.

Just getting Chase Jeter on campus is a huge deal. At least it gives the staff a chance to give him the full sales pitch. If he choses a different school, at least GU can say they were given a chance. What's irritating is when the kids list GU as a school they're going to visit, and then they commit to the first school they visit. The Zags need to get the kids on campus. They aren't UK where kids commit without even having seen the place like Kyle Wiltjer did when he signed with UK.

WallaWallaZag
04-29-2017, 09:57 PM
AZ has 5-star front court recruits coming in in 17 and 18. I'm not sure why Jeter would put himself in the position to be limited in minutes again due to stiff competition.

this would be part of my pitch to jeter on his visit...do you really want to take the chance that you might find yourself in the exact same position you were in at duke? zona is recruiting at the same level as duke right now...he could easily get recruited over...what if ayton decides to stay an extra year?

JAGzag
04-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Nothing? No reports?

Zag_Dad
04-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Nothing? No reports?

Jeter is not a prolific social media guy (based on his Twitter posts) so I'm not sure we can read much into his silence. From our perspective, Gonzaga is the obvious choice. If he does not see this wisdom then I wish him the best. For me, it seems like he has a chance to be the "guy" as our starting center after his redshirt year and be part of a team that looks like they've got the talent to return to a FF. If he doesn't see it this way .... best wishes to him. If he does ... welcome to the Zag family.

MDABE80
04-30-2017, 08:55 PM
CDC! lol Romar is ONLY good for recruiting. We've known that for 15 years . I'm certain he was hired for only that. I know I'd hire him to find all stars in the making. Perfect division of labor. Sean coaches em. Romar finds em.

Jeter has other places to see. I never thought he'd commit on this visit.
The one thing getting under my skin is that a team like GU, 2nd in all polls and a FF team, can't seem to get preferential respect when it comes to recruiting. Perhaps it'll come. I have my doubts.
The school and more so this team/this program should be on everyone's lips. 20 year slater, we're still the quiet ones seemingly over in the corner.
I'm not really understanding it.

Ekrub
04-30-2017, 10:12 PM
CDC! lol Romar is ONLY good for recruiting. We've known that for 15 years . I'm certain he was hired for only that. I know I'd hire him to find all stars in the making. Perfect division of labor. Sean coaches em. Romar finds em.

The one thing getting under my skin is that a team like GU, 2nd in all polls and a FF team, can't seem to get preferential respect when it comes to recruiting. Perhaps it'll come. I have my doubts.
The school and more so this team/this program should be on everyone's lips. 20 year slater, we're still the quiet ones seemingly over in the corner.

I've always been told how it's us millenials who are impatient and part of the "need-it-now" culture...

VaBeachZAG
05-01-2017, 06:07 AM

I'm not really understanding it. The main reason today, and probably forever more, is that GU plays in a low profile league filled with high school gyms! I'm sure this question is constantly posed to recruits by opposing programs: would you rather play in front of 3K fans in Moraga or play in front of 14K fans at Pauley?

TexasZagFan
05-01-2017, 06:24 AM
The main reason today, and probably forever more, is that GU plays in a low profile league filled with high school gyms! I'm sure this question is constantly posed to recruits by opposing programs: would you rather play in front of 3K fans in Moraga or play in front of 14K fans at Pauley?

The obvious rebuttal is: would you rather play 30+ minutes in Moraga, or 12-15 minutes at Pauley? Based on what I've read, Arizona's going to be well stocked at the 4/5, no matter what Chase decides.

LongIslandZagFan
05-01-2017, 06:27 AM
The main reason today, and probably forever more, is that GU plays in a low profile league filled with high school gyms! I'm sure this question is constantly posed to recruits by opposing programs: would you rather play in front of 3K fans in Moraga or play in front of 14K fans at Pauley?

Or you could present it as... would you rather be on national television almost every game, or whenever the Arizona game gets picked up?

strikenowhere
05-01-2017, 06:38 AM
Or you could present it as... would you rather be on national television almost every game, or whenever the Arizona game gets picked up?

Judging by the way ESPN is hemorrhaging money I would bet that GU's TV ride won't be lasting too many more years.

TexasZagFan
05-01-2017, 06:44 AM

Judging by this article, http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2016/12/08/how-arizona-wildcats-nba-connections-faring-2016-17/95155952/ Arizona track record of players in the NBA is mediocre at best.

Our sample may not be as large, but our upside is better IMO. Plus, his parents would be able to see just as many games in Calfornia as they would if he went to the Pac 12.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 06:47 AM

Three letters; WCC

TexasZagFan
05-01-2017, 06:49 AM
Judging by the way ESPN is hemorrhaging money I would bet that GU's TV ride won't be lasting too many more years.

WCC is cheap compared to the conferences ESPN overpaid for rights. They'll still need programming, and the WCC fills a need for West Coast viewers. What happens to the ACC when Coach K retires, and UNC goes down for academic fraud?

You could say the same for the Big 12, where despite being a Power 5 conference, most of the teams play in small media markets. They won't be able to continue staffing their teams with gifted players with troubled criminal histories: Baylor, Oklahoma (Mixon and Westbrook), KU (Josh Jackson), etc. The clock is ticking there.

TexasZagFan
05-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Three letters; WCC

Three more letters: yep.

gonzagafan62
05-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Three letters; WCC

True but if you play your cards right Gonzaga is pretty easy to get a 1-2 seed .... you make your money In NCAA tournament anyway

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 08:11 AM
True but if you play your cards right Gonzaga is pretty easy to get a 1-2 seed .... you make your money In NCAA tournament anyway

WCC is the answer as to why we're not capitalizing off of a championship game appearance and #2 final ranking. That's what the question was.

LongIslandZagFan
05-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Yes... it holds GU back. I mean only if they had been in another conference they'd make a final four or a NC game... but alas... the WCC held them back.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Yes... it holds GU back. I mean only if they had been in another conference they'd make a final four or a NC game... but alas... the WCC held them back.

Comprehension struggles abound today. The question was why are we not capitalizing on our success this year, regarding recruiting. I don't know if you're intentionally trying to be misleading or didn't notice the point, or maybe not enough coffee this morning. Being an admin doesn't mean being a pollyana. It's okay to admit that there are things that are not always perfect with the program; our conference affiliation is one of those things.

Mr Vulture
05-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Comprehension struggles abound today. The question was why are we not capitalizing on our success this year, regarding recruiting. I don't know if you're intentionally trying to be misleading or didn't notice the point, or maybe not enough coffee this morning. Being an admin doesn't mean being a pollyana. It's okay to admit that there are things that are not always perfect with the program; our conference affiliation is one of those things.

You have to be the most condascending poster on this board. Ninety percent of what you provide are snide remarks to those that don't agree with your opinion.

Take a step back and maybe realize your OPINION is not necessarily FACT. In your OPINION its the WCC holding Gonzaga back. In my OPINION, and others on here, it's more a case of this year finally breaking the Final Four argument and it is late in the recruiting year. History shows that the WCC didn't hold us back on getting transfers like Wiltjer, Wesley, JWIII, NWG, and Mathews nor our first McD's AA in Collins.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 09:32 AM
You have to be the most condascending poster on this board. Ninety percent of what you provide are snide remarks to those that don't agree with your opinion.

Take a step back and maybe realize your OPINION is not necessarily FACT. In your OPINION its the WCC holding Gonzaga back. In my OPINION, and others on here, it's more a case of this year finally breaking the Final Four argument and it is late in the recruiting year. History shows that the WCC didn't hold us back on getting transfers like Wiltjer, Wesley, JWIII, NWG, and Mathews nor our first McD's AA in Collins.

How could you even quantify that? Like, what's the equation? When a poster intentionally tries to obfuscate or confuse a point intentionally or otherwise, I will call it out. You call it "condescending" I call it speaking truth to power.

Hoopaholic
05-01-2017, 09:35 AM
WCC is the answer as to why we're not capitalizing off of a championship game appearance and #2 final ranking. That's what the question was.

timing could play factor
standards set by the program could be a factor
lack of quality for transfer could be a factor

without knowing who was offered and who was not there is pure speculation as to the cause and effect in my opinion

maynard g krebs
05-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Careful. He'll put you on ignore. It's horrible- like being shunned by the Amish.:)

thebigsmoove
05-01-2017, 09:39 AM

This +1

Easily the most condescending.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 09:40 AM
timing could play factor
standards set by the program could be a factor
lack of quality for transfer could be a factor

without knowing who was offered and who was not there is pure speculation as to the cause and effect in my opinion

Isn't Few on record as saying that the WCC holds us back at times and coaches use it to negatively recruit against us?

thebigsmoove
05-01-2017, 09:41 AM
You call it "condescending" I call it speaking truth to power.

I call it, "you could make your point without being a complete A$$."

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 09:42 AM
I call it, "you could make your point without being a complete A$$."

The guy intentionally tried to mislead by arguing against a point that wasn't made, I called him on it. Put me on ignore. It'll be better for you that way.

billyberu
05-01-2017, 09:44 AM
How could you even quantify that? Like, what's the equation? When a poster intentionally tries to obfuscate or confuse a point intentionally or otherwise, I will call it out. You call it "condescending" I call it speaking truth to power.
It's a basketball message board, not a platform for revolution. Calmly step off your platform.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 09:46 AM
It's a basketball message board, not a platform for revolution. Calmly step off your platform.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have no platform, I'm an anonymous dork on a message board. Unlike many here, I know that I'm completely irrelevant.

TexasZagFan
05-01-2017, 09:52 AM
I have no platform, I'm an anonymous dork on a message board. Unlike many here, I know that I'm completely irrelevant.

At least when the OCC was alive, I could take solace knowing that I was "irrelevant squared."

Bogozags
05-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Villanova won the NCAA Championship in 2016 and that school didn't sign any Diaper Dandy's so I am not sure how winning or reaching the championship game will have on recruiting. I think the key is the the staff find the right group of players that would fit GU's system and then offer the scholarship and have them commit to a visit. It just seems the most difficult task is to get the kid on campus for a look see. Zach Collins, NWG and JWIII were sold once they got on campus...

Five and four star recruits are constantly swayed by their AAU coaches and teammates to go to Power Five schools, because those are the "glitter schools" and GU is not one of them...we are a Blue-Collar program and this generation is the "NOW" generation and UK, KU, UNC, Duke, UCLA, UF, UL are the programs that entice kids by the success they have at the next level. I don't know of any players outside of GU, BYU and SMC that have players in the NBA. Yes, we have had our last three post players all get drafted and two were lottery picks and ZC appears to be another lottery pick but that may not hold water with PG's, SG's or SF's...I believe if we have one of these three make the lottery, then that might well help but until then it will continue to be difficult to get these top recruits to pick GU.

I just see that recruiting difficulties are always going to be a concern whether we play in WCC or BE...it is just our physical location. WSU is a stone's throw from GU and is unable to recruit five or four star recruits and they are a P12 school. I just believe GU is a speciality school because of its location. Two top 50 US kids in the last nine years and many European kids that would most likely have been four-five star recruits and another this season...SMC does it with Aussies and we do it with Euros...

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 09:53 AM
At least when the OCC was alive, I could take solace knowing that I was "irrelevant squared."

Is that like being an irrelevant square? I have no delusions of grandeur, I'm quite content in my mediocrity. I just can't decide if I'm apathetically ambivalent or ambivalently apathetic.

HenneZag
05-01-2017, 11:06 AM
As I stated before. A FF run may get us more of a sniff, and a better chance at landing the 4 and 5* kids, but our MO will be much the same. Development, euros, transfer market will help us close the gap. We will continue to get guys like Kispert, Wade, Pangos etc, all have high basketball IQs, tremendous character and are in the mold and model of what GU stands for. I'm ok with that, just reality. Norvell is the type of kid that usually we have a hard time snagging, from Chicago a high level player from a very competitive system and he chose us, he could've went to many other high end programs/conferences. We may chunk away to where we are getting players like this more consistent than the past, but still a struggle.

I think many of us thought a FF run would help tremendously for recruiting the highest caliber players, this year it nabbed us with Collins and NWG, we just can't replace talent like Duke and Kansas. Of course I would take a FF over anything so the tradeoff is worth it.

The WCC needs to step it up, it does hurt us tremendously and you can't blame recruits for seeing that. We have 2-4 competitive teams year in and out, it's a joke. With that said we sell recruits on championships, NCAA tourney and OOC schedule. This is enough for some, but not most high end recruits. Once players realize that the culture is not what they wanted, they miss out on the NCAA etc then we become the best option we have a list of players to solidify that.

We will be a different team next year, a ton of talent, some unknowns. I'm really hoping for Cherry.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 11:18 AM
As I stated before. A FF run may get us more of a sniff, and a better chance at landing the 4 and 5* kids, but our MO will be much the same. Development, euros, transfer market will help us close the gap. We will continue to get guys like Kispert, Wade, Pangos etc, all have high basketball IQs, tremendous character and are in the mold and model of what GU stands for. I'm ok with that, just reality. Norvell is the type of kid that usually we have a hard time snagging, from Chicago a high level player from a very competitive system and he chose us, he could've went to many other high end programs/conferences. We may chunk away to where we are getting players like this more consistent than the past, but still a struggle.

I think many of us thought a FF run would help tremendously for recruiting the highest caliber players, this year it nabbed us with Collins and NWG, we just can't replace talent like Duke and Kansas. Of course I would take a FF over anything so the tradeoff is worth it.

The WCC needs to step it up, it does hurt us tremendously and you can't blame recruits for seeing that. We have 2-4 competitive teams year in and out, it's a joke. With that said we sell recruits on championships, NCAA tourney and OOC schedule. This is enough for some, but not most high end recruits. Once players realize that the culture is not what they wanted, they miss out on the NCAA etc then we become the best option we have a list of players to solidify that.

We will be a different team next year, a ton of talent, some unknowns. I'm really hoping for Cherry.

Great post!

LongIslandZagFan
05-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Because... I mean it has been over a month. They should have wrapped up every recruit by now... damn that WCC.

I have no problem comprehending you at all... even through your vitrol and condescension. We are all inferior to you I suppose.

I'm not being a pollyanna I just think it borders on silly to make a judgement less than a month after making a NC game to say a) they aren't capitalizing and b) it is the WCC to blame.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Because... I mean it has been over a month. They should have wrapped up every recruit by now... damn that WCC.

I have no problem comprehending you at all... even through your vitrol and condescension. We are all inferior to you I suppose.

I'm not being a pollyanna I just think it borders on silly to make a judgement less than a month after making a NC game to say a) they aren't capitalizing and b) it is the WCC to blame.

Then why did you respond with an answer to a question that was never asked? The poster lamented the fact that our recruiting didn't pick up after our FF appearance and myself and others attributed that to our conference and you replied back that our conference didn't prohibit us from going to the FF, which no one even argued against. Regarding my superiority, allow me to repost what I said to Billyberu:

Unlike many here, I know that I'm completely irrelevant.

Few has acknowledged that our conference can and does hinder our recruiting at times because coaches use it against us. If Few can admit it, why can't you? The fact that he's overcome a built in hinderance is such a testimony to his great coaching. We're awesome despite the WCC.

LongIslandZagFan
05-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Then why did you respond with an answer to a question that was never asked? The poster lamented the fact that our recruiting didn't pick up after our FF appearance and myself and others attributed that to our conference and you replied back that our conference didn't prohibit us from going to the FF, which no one even argued against. Regarding my superiority, allow me to repost what I said to Billyberu:

Unlike many here, I know that I'm completely irrelevant.

Few has acknowledged that our conference can and does hinder our recruiting at times because coaches use it against us. If Few can admit it, why can't you? The fact that he's overcome a built in hinderance is such a testimony to his great coaching. We're awesome despite the WCC.

Yet you tend to let everyone know their opinion is meaningless.

I don't think my opinion is any more relevant than yours. But empirically, whatever drag on recruiting the WCC has... ummm.. that didn't stop a FF and NC game appearance. JMHO, in the past the talent was there for FF runs... but the NCAA tourney is a crapshoot with matchups. That was the point of my post. Without the benefit of a FF run, the Zags got the bodies to make that run. IMHO, the dividends pay off in 2018, 2019, 2020.

MDABE80
05-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Aside from the ankle biting today, the most important question is ""what are the goals"? of the basketball program. Immediate goals are always to get talents players to dunction as a team that win lots of games. This past year, we all saw the FF fever and what it meant although I'm not so sure if many really understood the significance. Some just participate more than others.

If our goal is major exposure one must have an audience..a really big audience. WCC simply will not get us that audience. If the audience isn't there as we play in a mid major, not teribly interesting league, the players won't come.......or not come in the volumes Power 5 teams get. Probably is the case. Staff makes "do" with transfers, euros, and so on. It's pretty rare a 5 star shows up out of the box here. Rare? yes but other P5 schools it's routine if you're in the top 20 year in and out. GU barges it's way in year in and out.
Sturcture of the league is important. Our WCC does have that but on a lower level than the "Dukes, Kansas, and the usual types..."
I'm not sure the WCC will EVER get us there. GU usually tugs the WCC along to get what notoriety it gets.

Millions of times we've said that without football, we're kinda relegated to the back burner.
Unless we somehow figure out a Pac 12 situation or something similar, we are what we are. Pretty good but not P5 level..only in league but not in performance.
Now with P5 owning ESPN basketball and football, the power is consolidating giving big conferences the huge edge. Worse for us is the dismissal of the guys who supported the Zags in print or TV over the years.

It's going to get harder for GU when the structure of college basketball is changing so quickly. And we appear powerless to join in right now.
As in prior years, GU will find a way to step into the major league spotlight. If nothing, administration has proven innovative and resiliant over the years.

We want results! We get results. Deserve results! Well yes...BUT this is before the landscape has changed. It'll get harder. We probably won't get the Power 5 type kids. If we grab one here and there it'll be exceptional. We're not there because "there" is changing....just when we thought we'd made it to the highest eschelon of college BBall. SO while it appars we're not cahisng in on our highest success, other factors have intervened.
We just win games and the future, while different, will remain briight for us. Just a few thoughts on a Monday afternoon. I have others but work calls.

Gonezagaga
05-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Few has acknowledged that our conference can and does hinder our recruiting at times because coaches use it against us. If Few can admit it, why can't you? The fact that he's overcome a built in hinderance is such a testimony to his great coaching. We're awesome despite the WCC.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, has Few acknowledged that fact AFTER Gonzaga made the championship game?

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Yet you tend to let everyone know their opinion is meaningless.

I don't think my opinion is any more relevant than yours. But empirically, whatever drag on recruiting the WCC has... ummm.. that didn't stop a FF and NC game appearance. JMHO, in the past the talent was there for FF runs... but the NCAA tourney is a crapshoot with matchups. That was the point of my post. Without the benefit of a FF run, the Zags got the bodies to make that run. IMHO, the dividends pay off in 2018, 2019, 2020.

Nonsense. In fact, I just quoted a poster in this thread telling him that his post was great. I think we win despite and in spite of the WCC, you don't think our conference affiliation matters; we'll have to agree to disagree.

Zaga
05-01-2017, 12:09 PM
If this forum is the petri dish of free speech we're DOOMED!

Go Zag's....Kick some A$$ in 2017/2018

jazzdelmar
05-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Ankle biting? Wow that's a real east coast Brahmin phrase. Doc you're showing your Ivy League ambitions. Next you will be rah rahing. Boola...

QUOTE=MDABE80;1319104]Aside from the ankle biting today, the most important question is ""what are the goals"? of the basketball program. Immediate goals are always to get talents players to dunction as a team that win lots of games. This past year, we all saw the FF fever and what it meant although I'm not so sure if many really understood the significance. Some just participate more than others.

If our goal is major exposure one must have an audience..a really big audience. WCC simply will not get us that audience. If the audience isn't there as we play in a mid major, not teribly interesting league, the players won't come.......or not come in the volumes Power 5 teams get. Probably is the case. Staff makes "do" with transfers, euros, and so on. It's pretty rare a 5 star shows up out of the box here. Rare? yes but other P5 schools it's routine if you're in the top 20 year in and out. GU barges it's way in year in and out.
Sturcture of the league is important. Our WCC does have that but on a lower level than the "Dukes, Kansas, and the usual types..."
I'm not sure the WCC will EVER get us there. GU usually tugs the WCC along to get what notoriety it gets.

Millions of times we've said that without football, we're kinda relegated to the back burner.
Unless we somehow figure out a Pac 12 situation or something similar, we are what we are. Pretty good but not P5 level..only in league but not in performance.
Now with P5 owning ESPN basketball and football, the power is consolidating giving big conferences the huge edge. Worse for us is the dismissal of the guys who supported the Zags in print or TV over the years.

It's going to get harder for GU when the structure of college basketball is changing so quickly. And we appear powerless to join in right now.
As in prior years, GU will find a way to step into the major league spotlight. If nothing, administration has proven innovative and resiliant over the years.

We want results! We get results. Deserve results! Well yes...BUT this is before the landscape has changed. It'll get harder. We probably won't get the Power 5 type kids. If we grab one here and there it'll be exceptional. We're not there because "there" is changing....just when we thought we'd made it to the highest eschelon of college BBall. SO while it appars we're not cahisng in on our highest success, other factors have intervened.
We just win games and the future, while different, will remain briight for us. Just a few thoughts on a Monday afternoon. I have others but work calls.[/QUOTE]

seacatfan
05-01-2017, 12:13 PM
I am not up-to-date on Arizona basketball and how they use and develop bigs. SeaCat can you give me some insight and your opinion on where he would be a better fit ? Just from my limited observations over the years it seems like they use a lot of athletic bigs in more of an NBA type style where less is ran for them in the offense.

Big man development has been hit and miss under Miller. Derrick Williams went from being a 3 star recruit to the #2 pick in the draft in 2 years as a very undersized center. Ristic has developed nicely. He may have been fairly highly ranked but Comanche was a total project when he arrived and he made some nice strides in his soph year. Ashley was up and down for 3 years but never really developed into what I thought he could be. Tarczewski has often been held up as an example of lack of development, but I think he was vastly overrated coming out of HS. He had some obvious limitations that he couldn't overcome. Markannen was a bit up and down but overall had a very good Fr. year.

Miller has played small ball at time depending on personnel. Arizona doesn't tend to be as determined to pound the ball inside as Gonzaga often is. There were times this year when the combo of Ristic, Markannen and Comanche was killing people in the interior, but other times they were mostly perimeter oriented.

Gonzaga has established a niche of being a great program for development by big men. I don't think I can say Arizona matches that.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Aside from the ankle biting today, the most important question is ""what are the goals"? of the basketball program. Immediate goals are always to get talents players to dunction as a team that win lots of games. This past year, we all saw the FF fever and what it meant although I'm not so sure if many really understood the significance. Some just participate more than others.

We just win games and the future, while different, will remain briight for us. Just a few thoughts on a Monday afternoon. I have others but work calls.

Excellent post!

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Just to be clear, has Few acknowledged that fact AFTER Gonzaga made the championship game?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know if he's been asked if being in the WCC hurts our recruiting after our FF appearance.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Big man development has been hit and miss under Miller. Derrick Williams went from being a 3 star recruit to the #2 pick in the draft in 2 years as a very undersized center. Ristic has developed nicely. He may have been fairly highly ranked but Comanche was a total project when he arrived and he made some nice strides in his soph year. Ashley was up and down for 3 years but never really developed into what I thought he could be. Tarczewski has often been held up as an example of lack of development, but I think he was vastly overrated coming out of HS. He had some obvious limitations that he couldn't overcome. Markannen was a bit up and down but overall had a very good Fr. year.

Miller has played small ball at time depending on personnel. Arizona doesn't tend to be as determined to pound the ball inside as Gonzaga often is. There were times this year when the combo of Ristic, Markannen and Comanche was killing people in the interior, but other times they were mostly perimeter oriented.

Gonzaga has established a niche of being a great program for development by big men. I don't think I can say Arizona matches that.

And yet they keep getting top big men committing there; i.e. Ayton and Shaq's kid. I attribute that to conference affiliation and the Arizona name brand.

jazzdelmar
05-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Doc, go save some lives. This, um, can wait.

gonzagafan62
05-01-2017, 12:21 PM
And yet they keep getting top big men committing there; i.e. Ayton and Shaq's kid. I attribute that to conference affiliation and the Arizona name brand.

Huskies have the same failing problem

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Huskies have the same failing problem

And if we're being completely honest, it was a bit demoralizing seeing so many top recruits eschewing us and committing to that loser program all because of conference affiliation.

WyoZag
05-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Just to be clear, has Few acknowledged that fact AFTER Gonzaga made the championship game?

I honestly don't know if he's been asked if being in the WCC hurts our recruiting after our FF appearance.[/QUOTE]

The fallacy with the premise of this nonsensical thread is that a Final Four or an appearance in the title game leads to an immediate uptick in recruiting. It doesn't. The names getting tossed around having absolutely no connection to Gonzaga, i.e. Brandon McCoy, with an expectation that our recent tournament run would influence some decisions is preposterous. Relationships are built over months and years, and any gains made with domestic recruiting likely won't be known until the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Back to the more important discussion of Chase Jeter, does anyone have information about his visit?

Bogozags
05-01-2017, 12:52 PM
I honestly don't know if he's been asked if being in the WCC hurts our recruiting after our FF appearance.

The fallacy with the premise of this nonsensical thread is that a Final Four or an appearance in the title game leads to an immediate uptick in recruiting. It doesn't. The names getting tossed around having absolutely no connection to Gonzaga, i.e. Brandon McCoy, with an expectation that our recent tournament run would influence some decisions is preposterous. Relationships are built over months and years, and any gains made with domestic recruiting likely won't be known until the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Back to the more important discussion of Chase Jeter, does anyone have information about his visit?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I have no information on Jeter but believe they made an excellent presentation and am hoping good news will flow in a few days...

BUT I wanted to chime in regarding Coach Few making a comment on how the WCC deters GU's ability to recruit. IMO...I cannot imagine him ever making that comment in public. It would be a defeatist comment and every other coach would use it against GU.

Ezag
05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Back to the more important discussion of Chase Jeter, does anyone have information about his visit?

Yea he was heard saying "The WCC! Are you Fu**in kidding me?"

GrizZAG
05-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Not sure if this was posted anywhere or not. If so my apology in advance. Interesting take on Gonzaga's recruiting message. I had not see it before.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-unsung-secret-to-gonzagas-success-is-something-nobody-really-wants-152315953.html

Mr Vulture
05-01-2017, 01:26 PM

No, what you do is talk down to the poster as if you are the all knowing one and they are beneath you. Just the fact that you went directly to your first remark if further proof to what I said.

TexasZagFan
05-01-2017, 01:33 PM
If this forum is the petri dish of free speech we're DOOMED!

Go Zag's....Kick some A$$ in 2017/2018

Since the 60s, the home of the free speech movement has been Cal Berkeley. Based on recent events, that "petri dish" is dead.

doctorzag
05-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Since the 60s, the home of the free speech movement has been Cal Berkeley. Based on recent events, that "petri dish" is dead.

Its dead on most campuses.

Markburn1
05-01-2017, 04:06 PM
"Truth to Power" on a basketball board. Comedy Gold.

First thing to recognize is that opinion is not necessarily truth. And disparaging someone's opinion with an obvious superiority complex is classic condescension. The irony is not recognizing the dismissive attitude and the equally obnoxious patronizing when sending out gratuitous praise.

Next thing is also hilarious. Who, on this board, has any real power to speak to? Who ya bringing down, son?

Hoopaholic
05-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Wow spent weekend weeding yard and come back to disarray

When does the season start:cheers:

Markburn1
05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Back to the thread. Chase Jeter, in my OPINION, would be a tremendous asset for the Zags. Could he have been overrated by nearly every recruiting service on the planet coming out of high school? Sure. Could all the power five coaches maneuvering to sign him be Wrong? Absolutely. I am of the OPINION that the coaches here and along the west coast know their trade and they are all vying for what they think will be a valued addition to their program.

I believe Gonzaga is the right choice for this young man. I hope he declares himself to be a Zag. If he doesn't, I hope he finds a program that will help him to reach his goals.

Good Luck, Chase Jeter.

GrizZAG
05-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Wow spent weekend weeding yard and come back to disarray

When does the season start:cheers:

“I am sick to death of cleverness. Everybody is clever nowadays. You can’t go anywhere without meeting clever people. The thing has become an absolute public nuisance. I wish to goodness we had a few fools left.”
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Hoopaholic
05-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Back to the thread. Chase Jeter, in my OPINION, would be a tremendous asset for the Zags. Could he have been overrated by nearly every recruiting service on the planet coming out of high school? Sure. Could all the power five coaches maneuvering to sign him be Wrong? Absolutely. I am of the OPINION that the coaches here and along the west coast know their trade and they are all vying for what they think will be a valued addition to their program.

I believe Gonzaga is the right choice for this young man. I hope he declares himself to be a Zag. If he doesn't, I hope he finds a program that will help him to reach his goals.

Good Luck, Chase Jeter.
Me too

Hoopaholic
05-01-2017, 05:17 PM
I am sick to death of cleverness. Everybody is clever nowadays. You cant go anywhere without meeting clever people. The thing has become an absolute public nuisance. I wish to goodness we had a few fools left.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

:cheers: my friend

northsidezagfan
05-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Saw this thread was 50 posts longer than yesterday and thought there would be some news. Nope.

Hope we get him.

Mantua
05-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Good Luck, Chase Jeter.

Yeah!

I'm giving the WCC-GU Basketball existential crisis a rest for for the off season.

Zags_Fanatic
05-08-2017, 12:20 PM
It looks like Chase visited Arizona along with Pitt transfer Cameron Johnson and the two of them will visit UCLA together. To be honest I thought Gonzaga was a slamdunk for Jeter but now I'm wondering if he and Johnson will be a 2-fer transfer. Also wondering if GU isn't interested in trying to bring both in. Can never have too many 6'8" wing players and they might motivate each other in the redshirt year.

maynard g krebs
05-08-2017, 12:39 PM
It looks like Chase visited Arizona along with Pitt transfer Cameron Johnson and the two of them will visit UCLA together. To be honest I thought Gonzaga was a slamdunk for Jeter but now I'm wondering if he and Johnson will be a 2-fer transfer. Also wondering if GU isn't interested in trying to bring both in. Can never have too many 6'8" wing players and they might motivate each other in the redshirt year.

Johnson's a grad trans, eligible now.

cggonzaga
05-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Can never have too many 6'8" wing players and they might motivate each other in the redshirt year.

As far as I recall, Jeter is not a wing.

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2017, 01:09 PM
As far as I recall, Jeter is not a wing.

Isn't he talking about Cam Johnson?

doctorzag
05-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Johnson's a grad trans, eligible now.

Johnson`s father played with Sean Miller at Pitt. back in the day. Could be an advantage for Arizona.