PDA

View Full Version : So how many schollies do we have left?

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Scholarship players gone:
Shem
NWG
Matthews
ZC
Alberts
Edwards

Scholarship players in:
Kispert
Wade
Ayayi
JJ

Do I have this correct?

Zagceo
04-27-2017, 02:49 PM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56967-Scholie-Table-as-of-March-30-2016&p=1318641#post1318641

Radbooks
04-27-2017, 02:49 PM
There is a scholarship chart on the top of the page!

doctorzag
04-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Scholarship players gone:
Shem
NWG
Matthews
ZC
Alberts
Edwards

Scholarship players in:
Kispert
Wade
Ayayi
JJ

Do I have this correct?

Jeremy Jones does not have a scholarship.

willandi
04-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Yet!

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 03:45 PM

GZ said that he will be getting one

zagsfanforlife
04-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Why? Can we honestly say he has the skill of a national runner up scholarship player? seems like a good kid but averaging a few points for Rice, does not seem to me that it warrants using a scholarship. Just my critical opinion

GoZags
04-27-2017, 07:58 PM

I don't have it in front of me but to the best of my recollection I accounted for one of the open rides with Jones. But it isn't my call .... that being said it's is still my belief that Jones will get a scholarship ...

GoZags
04-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Why? Can we honestly say he has the skill of a national runner up scholarship player? seems like a good kid but averaging a few points for Rice, does not seem to me that it warrants using a scholarship. Just my critical opinion

If the staff feels he deserves one (and it's my belief that they do) then that's good enough for me. Basketball is a team game and each of the 13 rides serves a purpose.

Edited to add: sure he averaged just under 3 ppg after football season ended at Rice. But after 2 full years in the Gonzaga program don't you think Few and Co has seen enough to make an informed decision? Or should they just look at his stats from Rice?

hondo
04-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Perhaps Few and the staff should consult with this board when making those kind of decisions. After all who do they think they are?

GoZags
04-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Then it's a good will scholarship. I would wager with anyone he does not average more than 5 minutes per game.

Your position on this topic is well known as you've made it multiple times since Zach and NWG declared. That being said, if the staff chooses to give him a scholarship that's good enough for me.

ZagaZags
04-27-2017, 09:52 PM
Then it's a good will scholarship. I would wager with anyone he does not average more than 5 minutes per game.

How much?

Birddog
04-28-2017, 03:52 AM
Jones was on the court in a couple of games before the "custodial crew", so I figure the staff thinks he's a little better than them. IIRC He was late to get in the flow this last season because of a lingering injury. I'm betting he gets a scholarship this next season.

thebigsmoove
04-28-2017, 04:29 AM
All of this is dependent on who we sign to fill schollies this year. If there is still an open schollie? Then maybe Jeremy gets it, otherwise...hes gonna have to walk on again.

zag67
04-28-2017, 05:00 AM
ZAGFORLIFE, I also will take that bet. I think that he played solid defense and will do the same.

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2017, 05:49 AM
How much?

You didn't learn your lesson about taking bets on this board? lol

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2017, 05:51 AM
I've never understood why some people feel that a player has to be a "star" to warrant a schollie. Players who hustle and do the dirty work are important to a team as well.

zagsfanforlife
04-28-2017, 06:06 AM
I've never understood why some people feel that a player has to be a "star" to warrant a schollie. Players who hustle and do the dirty work are important to a team as well.

Definitely not about being a star Spy-- Mike Hart got a scholarship. He was all hustle all heart and with his defense and improved shooting he could earn minutes on a team that needed a small forward. We seem to be logjammed at the position next year and personally its my opinion we are now at the stage in the program where we are giving scholarships only to people who could get 10-15 minutes a game based on their skillset. Of course not everyone can get that time---- but i am talking about warranting that time. I didnt see it from JJ this year. Athletic kid, cant shoot too well, ball handling is iffy, and he hustles-- but i didnt see Mike Hart level hustling. Gozags is right--- I am not the coach.. but this is a message board, so i will freely express my opinion, even if it matters zippo!

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2017, 06:10 AM
Definitely not about being a star Spy-- Mike Hart got a scholarship. He was all hustle all heart and with his defense and improved shooting he could earn minutes on a team that needed a small forward. We seem to be logjammed at the position next year and personally its my opinion we are now at the stage in the program where we are giving scholarships only to people who could get 10-15 minutes a game based on their skillset. Of course not everyone can get that time---- but i am talking about warranting that time. I didnt see it from JJ this year. Athletic kid, cant shoot too well, ball handling is iffy, and he hustles-- but i didnt see Mike Hart level hustling. Gozags is right--- I am not the coach.. but this is a message board, so i will freely express my opinion, even if it matters zippo!

I dunno about logjam at sf; CK, Rui and then JJ. But yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

zagsfanforlife
04-28-2017, 06:14 AM
I dunno about logjam at sf; CK, Rui and then JJ. But yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

ZN can fill in there too... killian can log minutes there i imagine

amaronizag
04-28-2017, 08:07 AM
Before the start of last season, I watched an interview with Josh Perkins on the Mark Few Show. The conversation was about all the new guys on the team that had never played together before the start of practice in 2016. He was asked which players were going to surprise fans the most. He said Goss, Collins, Tillie, and that Jeremy had made huge strides since arriving at GU and people were going to be impressed by him. We played 8 deep all year so only mop up minutes were available for Jeremy except when we had severe foul trouble. Jeremy is still an unproven mystery to me, but I am hopeful. He is also unproven, and will be rusty to start the season, but I expect Larsen to be a force underneath by the time PK80 rolls around. Still, we need another center on the roster this year. Plenty of time so I'm sure it will all come together nicely.

Birddog
04-28-2017, 09:11 AM
ZN can fill in there too... killian can log minutes there i imagine

Sorry to say, but ZagNative used up her eligibility some years back.

http://media1.picsearch.com/is?ighri_Ueq_lMxIqPaeQtejgSa8AtBsCrhHyPyy2IQtA&height=177

btzag
04-28-2017, 10:52 AM
My hope is that Rui and Kispert are so impressive that it's not even a topic next year. This is not to put JJ down but if GU wants to contend for E8 or F4's every year, walk-ons are not the way to do it. Shoot even some top recruits like Alberts could not find minutes because of the impressive guard talent on the team last year and the impressive guard recruits coming in.

VaBeachZAG
04-28-2017, 02:53 PM
My hope is that Rui and Kispert are so impressive that it's not even a topic next year. This is not to put JJ down but if GU wants to contend for E8 or F4's every year, walk-ons are not the way to do it. Shoot even some top recruits like Alberts could not find minutes because of the impressive guard talent on the team last year and the impressive guard recruits coming in. Not raising any issues with your comments, however, I would not be the least surprised if JJ is no longer a walk on come next fall.

Hoopaholic
04-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Not raising any issues with your comments, however, I would not be the least surprised if JJ is no longer a walk on come next fall.

I will be shocked if he is not on scholarship

zagfan1
04-29-2017, 01:23 PM
We need a big that can play right away and another big to redshirt and go through the Knight program. That will come first. Those two plus Elijah Brown ( the guy from New Mexico) then JJ.