PDA

View Full Version : Joel Ayayi committs to Gonzaga

Zag_Dad
04-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Looks like he's class of 17'. He just announce his commitment to Gonzaga (via twitter) and will play next year.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1774089-joel-ayayi-commits-gonzaga

gonzagafan62
04-27-2017, 07:52 AM
YES! Big get for Gonzaga

Zag_Dad
04-27-2017, 08:03 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joel-Ayayi-97191/

Listed as 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan. Wow! He's very young.. if we land Brown this weekend, is Ayayi a Redshirt candidate?

scrooner
04-27-2017, 08:06 AM
It's about time we got some good news around here!

madness
04-27-2017, 08:08 AM
This kid has some NBA scouts drooling already. Huge pickup! Good job Tommy!

Also, Ronny was just in Paris, so he may have assisted on this one...Thanks Mr. Turiaf!

VinnyZag
04-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Listed as 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan. Wow! He's very young.. if we land Brown this weekend, is Ayayi a Redshirt candidate?

In the past we've been told that coaches preferred not to redshirt players from overseas. Larsen redshirted primarily because he got hurt.

Could be a crowded backcourt next year!

MTZag03
04-27-2017, 08:12 AM
So he's long, quick, and a good shooter. But he's also skinny, not developed enough as a ball handler to be a point guard, and could improve on defense. I'm guessing he won't be a true point for us. Very intriguing player though. I'm thrilled.

dhozagfan08
04-27-2017, 08:21 AM
In the past we've been told that coaches preferred not to redshirt players from overseas. Larsen redshirted primarily because he got hurt.

Could be a crowded backcourt next year!

Why is that? Cause it's not worth the travel to sit for a year?

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Looks like he's class of 17'. He just announce his commitment to Gonzaga (via twitter) and will play next year.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1774089-joel-ayayi-commits-gonzaga

Great news, time for a trademark change (unless France exits from the European Union): Gonzaga EUniversity Basketball, or Gonzaga UNiversity Basketball.

MBAGael
04-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Congrats!

MickMick
04-27-2017, 08:52 AM
My first thought?

Defensive length.

It is now a must.

MontanaCoyote
04-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Congrats!

Does this mean that Tillie can help the kid break the language barrier? Two Frenchmen on the same team? Could lead to some good, clean jokes, although these days you just have to be careful not to offend.

Hope this one's OK;

Remember that old TV beer commercial (forget the brand) where the guy says the beer's so smooth it goes down easier than a French prizefighter?

Turn that around for us.........This news goes down easier than...........?

VinnyZag
04-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Why is that? Cause it's not worth the travel to sit for a year?

If I recall correctly, they said the adjustment to a new culture, etc., is more difficult if they aren't playing ball.

demian
04-27-2017, 08:57 AM
My first thought?

Defensive length.

It is now a must.

COMPLETELY AGREE

strikenowhere
04-27-2017, 09:00 AM
My first thought?

Defensive length.

It is now a must.

Do you mean that the team desperately needs defensive length now or that it appears that the Zags are actively recruiting lengthy players for defense and Ayayi is another example of that?

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 09:01 AM
SWEET!!! :000tens:

Like Domas and Tille, if he played high school ball in the States he would possibly be a Mickey D's AA. But to be clear, he is a 2017? He's super young, may plan to redshirt him and let him learn and physically mature. Huge Get nonetheless!

strikenowhere
04-27-2017, 09:03 AM
SWEET!!! :000tens:

Like Domas and Tille, if he played high school ball in the States he would possibly be a Mickey D's AA. But to be clear, he is a 2017? He's super young, may plan to redshirt him and let him learn a physically mature. Huge Get nonetheless!

Hmmm....watching the video at the draftexpress site and I didn't get a McD impression - but then again I'm no scout.

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Hmmm....watching the video at the draftexpress site and I didn't get a McD impression - but then again I'm no scout.

Really, he can drive, shoot and handle the rock. This is another "under the radar" recruit by Tommy.

ZagsObserver
04-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Good get, but may be a couple years before we see a significant impact.

GU is set at the guard position. If we can polish it off with an immediate impact big (grad transfer) and maybe chase jeter to stash away for next year, we'll be set (jj Jones to get the last scholly?).

NorthoftheBorder
04-27-2017, 09:05 AM
One of the scouting reports states that Joel is already fluent in English.

Another scouting report states that both of Joel's parents are from Benin (in Africa). That is where Rui's father is from (his mother is Japanese). Maybe Tommy should take a scouting trip to that country.

titopoet
04-27-2017, 09:06 AM
This kid has some NBA scouts drooling already. Huge pickup! Good job Tommy!

Also, Ronny was just in Paris, so he may have assisted on this one...Thanks Mr. Turiaf!

With a huge assist from Mr. Tillie

zaguarxj
04-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Scouting report says "elite rebounder." I like guards that can rebound.

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 09:09 AM
One of the scouting reports states that Joel is already fluent in English.

Another scouting report states that both of Joel's parents are from Benin (in Africa). That is where Rui's father is from (his mother is Japanese). Maybe Tommy should take a scouting trip to that country.

Wow, weird coincidence; Rui, Ayayi and Tillie all are connected in some form or fashion.

sittingon50
04-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Welcome Joel.

Congratulations.

Zagdawg
04-27-2017, 09:21 AM
A couple interviews -- English language seems pretty good -- in the interview from 3 months ago he has improved language skills over the one from 10 months ago.

He knows that areas where he needs to grow/improve.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joel-Ayayi-97191/videos/

GoZags
04-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Good get, but may be a couple years before we see a significant impact.

GU is set at the guard position. If we can polish it off with an immediate impact big (grad transfer) and maybe chase jeter to stash away for next year, we'll be set (jj Jones to get the last scholly?).

I disagree about the "couple" of years projection. There was a VERY good reason the staff was unconcerned about Daejon Davis choosing Stanford.

Zagdawg
04-27-2017, 09:27 AM
UConn was looking at him also.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/joel-ayayi.109828/

Vanzagger
04-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Congrats

Reborn
04-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Bingo! First example of what our coaches DO. Zags continue to sign elite players. And I'm sure this signing did have something to do with the Zags ability to win championships, and go to the NCAA Tournament every year, and I'm sure that finishing 2nd in the country had something to him signing. Keep the faith!

Go Zags!!!

MickMick
04-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Do you mean that the team desperately needs defensive length now or that it appears that the Zags are actively recruiting lengthy players for defense and Ayayi is another example of that?

It means that I interpret a sea change in Mark Few's recruiting philosophy. He knows how deep you can go with long armed defenders at every position and it will take an exceptionally talented offensive player to be an exception to the rule.

Bogozags
04-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Need some help with this...

I remember watching video of the French U19 team a few months ago...they had an SF or PF that played and he was very talented. About 6'7" or there abouts...is this young man still around or is he on some draft list? I was pretty impressed on how he could "take over" a game...

GoZags
04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

I remember watching video of the French U19 team a few months ago...they had an SF or PF that played and he was very talented. About 6'7" or there abouts...is this young man still around or is he on some draft list? I was pretty impressed on how he could "take over" a game...

Not sure which one you are talking about but some of their stars are under professional contract in the Euro leagues.

Zags_Fanatic
04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Probably Frank Ntilikina. If it is he is projected as an NBA lottery pick this year.

hondo
04-27-2017, 10:01 AM
"Probably Frank Ntilikina. If it is he is projected as an NBA lottery pick this year."

C'est La Vie

Zagdawg
04-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Vedran Modrić‏
@vedranmo

Ayayi is super talented and has great body for PG. Watched him at Jordan Brand Classic in Zagreb and Gonzaga got a steal from intl.class

bigblahla
04-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Awesome get...welcome aboard young man...

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagceo
04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFC1OA7sRQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GytATRTtE38

Worthington
04-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Really excited about Joel! He's very young for the 2017 class and has a ton of room for growth. Possesses elite size and length for the guard position that should make him an asset defensively immediately if he elects not to redshirt. Appears to need a little work as a ball handler, but he has very good mechanics as a set shooter that should give him the ability to play off the ball. He's already pretty quick, but athletically I don't think he's anywhere near his peak right now.

The key word for him is potential. He's good right now, but with the proper development and hard work in the weight room, he will be a legit NBA prospect. Not a burger boy at this point, but he has as much upside as some of those guys. Fantastic pickup!

kitzbuel
04-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Wow, weird coincidence; Rui, Ayayi and Tillie all are connected in some form or fashion.

Tommy.

kitzbuel
04-27-2017, 10:35 AM
It means that I interpret a sea change in Mark Few's recruiting philosophy. He knows how deep you can go with long armed defenders at every position and it will take an exceptionally talented offensive player to be an exception to the rule.

I don't think it is so much as sea change in philosophy as it is an ability to actually implement the philosophy. I think Few has always had that philosophy. He desperately wanted long, quick, talented defenders for years. He tried to take fliers on borderline players with hopes of having a few of them pan out. He is finally in the position where he can actually get them. It just took time.

Coach Crazy
04-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Joel is a combo guard. His work rate on the defensive end is impressive. Any guard that can rebound and play defense will get time, even as a freshman. That type of production can turn into opportunities on the offensive end, even without fluency in the screening and the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Crazy
04-27-2017, 10:42 AM
You'd probably be able to make a case for a low 4* here.

Hoopaholic
04-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Joel is a combo guard. His work rate on the defensive end is impressive. Any guard that can rebound and play defense will get time, even as a freshman. That type of production can turn into opportunities on the offensive end, even without fluency in the screening and the action.

agree

and he will get taught how to utilize, read, exploit pick and roll simply through repetitive practice time as that is meat and potatoes offense

Coach Crazy
04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
agree

and he will get taught how to utilize, read, exploit pick and roll simply through repetitive practice time as that is meat and potatoes offense

Granted, he'll be playing at another level, in terms of the size and physicality in college basketball. BUT, I notice that he seals well for a guard. Given that there won't be as deep of post entries, or as many of them, as last season...having a guard like that on the weak side adds another passing opportunity for wing forwards like Kispert and Norvell (yes, I know he is primarily a guard) who are long distant threats/can hold up physically as a high post.

Should be fun to watch this kid play. He's got some room to grow, instinctively, on the defensive end. But man, this freshman squad is gonna have the ability to hold the line and turn the tide when called upon. Not many programs can say that.

nish_mode
04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Scouting Report:

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Tommy.

Well, yes of course that. But I meant the French/Benin connection.

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Really excited about Joel! He's very young for the 2017 class and has a ton of room for growth. Possesses elite size and length for the guard position that should make him an asset defensively immediately if he elects not to redshirt. Appears to need a little work as a ball handler, but he has very good mechanics as a set shooter that should give him the ability to play off the ball. He's already pretty quick, but athletically I don't think he's anywhere near his peak right now.

The key word for him is potential. He's good right now, but with the proper development and hard work in the weight room, he will be a legit NBA prospect. Not a burger boy at this point, but he has as much upside as some of those guys. Fantastic pickup!

I hope not, he's only 17. Give the kid a couple of years and look out.

Goshzagit
04-27-2017, 11:17 AM

FWIW, that video was when he was 16.

He could still be growing.

6'3" with a 6'7.5" wingspan is pretty awesome.

Rangerzag
04-27-2017, 11:20 AM
With a huge assist from Mr. Tillie

Tillie did what he could. Check out the 17:20 point of this recording:

http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/nba/taking-the-charge-podcast-241-killian-tillie-rui-hachimura-jacob-larsen-of-gonzaga/

Zagdawg
04-27-2017, 11:22 AM
As mentioned by Goshzagit---I wonder if he will add a bit more to his height -- should still be growing some also.

Zag_Dad
04-27-2017, 11:29 AM
It's going to be difficult to stop evaluating next year's team against what we had this year, but I'm starting to get kind of excited for what we will have next year. Much different group of kids but no shortage of talent. Depth at the front court is a little shaky but I think we have some athletes that will be able to make up for the loss of two of the country's best college Bigs.

Still some more scholarship to hand out ... can't wait to start opening presents to see what Santa Tommy has brought us.

kitzbuel
04-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Well, yes of course that. But I meant the French/Benin connection.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/be/8e/67be8e2a906aad0fabc4557f6e59155d.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

ZagNative
04-27-2017, 11:31 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/2017-04-27%20Joel%20Ayayi_zps3wi4nkk0.jpg

Hoopaholic
04-27-2017, 11:34 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/2017-04-27%20Joel%20Ayayi_zps3wi4nkk0.jpg

awesome....excited to see your development........

Kiddwell
04-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Great news. Anyone help Kiddwell with the pronunciation of the young man's last name?

:]

Zagdawg
04-27-2017, 12:00 PM
The interview videos at the introduction say his name.

Zag_Dad
04-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Great news. Anyone help Kiddwell with the pronunciation of the young man's last name?

Based on video interview included in earlier post it appears its pronounced:

Aa-Yaa-Yee (never been good at the phonetic spelling)

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-27-2017, 12:13 PM

Cool post and pic. Good to know he's got a good Twitter game.

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 12:38 PM

A-Yah-Yee

Oddly enough, my other favorite team in the world, Boise State Broncos football had a stud runningback, now with the Dolphins, Jay Ajayi

Zagger
04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Welcome Joel! You'll love the fans in Spokane & your Zags teammates. It'll be fun watching you play in the Kennel!

billyberu
04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Yup

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Alum08
04-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Am I the only one thinking that the Wade/Ayayi pairing a few years from now could be eerily similar to Pangos/Bell?

ZagsObserver
04-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Am I the only one thinking that the Wade/Ayayi pairing a few years from now could be eerily similar to Pangos/Bell?

Along with Norvell.

cggonzaga
04-27-2017, 01:56 PM
But man, this freshman squad is gonna have the ability to hold the line and turn the tide when called upon. Not many programs can say that.

Spot on cc. Wade, Norvell, Kispert, Ayayi is pretty impressive.

Radbooks
04-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Some notes about Joel from Jim Meehan on Twitter:

Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 4m4 minutes ago

Ayayi could have been in 2017 or 2018 class. He will take exams in June to be in 2017 class, plans to be at Gonzaga for summer session.

Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 4m4 minutes ago

Ayayi: “It’s good for me to come now because I will learn more. If I want, I can redshirt or go directly to the games (next season).”

Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 2m2 minutes ago

Ayayi: "Killian told me that it was a perfect spot because everybody there is involved in Gonzaga. You can work a lot (on your game).”

zag67
04-27-2017, 02:18 PM
CCG,

Wade, Norvell, Kispert, Ayayi, and Larsen.

That is one great class. I do not think that many recruiting people understand how good a freshman class we have.

And then RUI and Tillie, as sophomores.

MDABE80
04-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Holy Moses. Lots of work to do. This last year we had seasoned veterans ready to go even though they we new. This time it's quite different. All fresh kids with very little experience at the F1 level. Few has his "molding work cut out for him".

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Holy Moses. Lots of work to do. This last year we had seasoned veterans ready to go even though they we new. This time it's quite different. All fresh kids with very little experience at the F1 level. Few has his "molding work cut out for him".

JWIII, Perk, Melson and JJ are all upper classmen, not to mention any grad transfers that we bring in

jazzdelmar
04-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Heister will be grappling with that name all season. One hopes not jokingly.

doctorzag
04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Definite redshirt. We are loaded at guard and this kid is very raw.

Zag_Dad
04-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Definite redshirt. We are loaded at guard and this kid is very raw.

Well, we all that Rui would redshirt too...

Birddog
04-27-2017, 02:58 PM

He's a 6'4" 17 year old, he might be a SF a year from now, and a PF in two.

tinfoilzag
04-27-2017, 03:02 PM
JWIII, Perk, Melson and JJ are all upper classmen, not to mention any grad transfers that we bring in

It's going to be an exciting year with a lot more volatility than we've been used to.

raise the zag
04-27-2017, 03:08 PM
kinda built and plays a bit like Manny Arop.

seems quicker though.

ZagMan in Philly
04-27-2017, 03:12 PM

I see a similar situation with Butler in 08-09 season, they lost four starters from a 30 win season, picked 5th in the Horizon league, then came a rather unknown freshman Hayward, and bam, they were in the Championship game a year later. Perhaps one of our Sophs, Freshmen will be as good as Hayward. I am hoping.

sittingon50
04-27-2017, 03:34 PM
It may be somewhere in all this info, but I'm not finding it. When is his actual date of birth?

Thanks in advance.

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Never too soon to be preaching patience while these young men develop.

Zags_Fanatic
04-27-2017, 03:49 PM
It may be somewhere in all this info, but I'm not finding it. When is his actual date of birth?

Thanks in advance.

March 5, 2000. Some have reported May 3rd but that's incorrect.

Coach Crazy
04-27-2017, 04:22 PM
I see a similar situation with Butler in 08-09 season, they lost four starters from a 30 win season, picked 5th in the Horizon league, then came a rather unknown freshman Hayward, and bam, they were in the Championship game a year later. Perhaps one of our Sophs, Freshmen will be as good as Hayward. I am hoping.

After hearing Rui talk, it very well could be him.

kitzbuel
04-27-2017, 05:00 PM
I am on board for the ride!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MontanaCoyote
04-27-2017, 05:30 PM
It's going to be an exciting year with a lot more volatility than we've been used to.

Who do y'all you see as the player that will settle things down, gather guys together, stabilize things. Karno did this and I think NWG did too. Who will step up?

GrizZAG
04-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Who do y'all you see as the player that will settle things down, gather guys together, stabilize things. Karno did this and I think NWG did too. Who will step up?

Very good question

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Williams.

webspinnre
04-27-2017, 06:34 PM

I think Melson might end up being one of the guys who does this as well.

gonzagafan62
04-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Williams and melson

cggonzaga
04-27-2017, 07:06 PM
CCG,

Wade, Norvell, Kispert, Ayayi, and Larsen.

That is one great class. I do not think that many recruiting people understand how good a freshman class we have.

And then RUI and Tillie, as sophomores.

Knew I was missing somebody. Better yet!

Markburn1
04-27-2017, 07:10 PM

I know they are freshmen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kispert and Wade develop as leaders.

zagsfanforlife
04-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Congrats.

Still would like to see Brown. This kids young, and i agree with a few that said he looks to be a couple years away from being a big time player for us. I see the tape and intriguing potential, but i doubt he plays much this year. About a 6 on excitement 1-10 on this kid for me. We still have 3 spots open to excite me a little more though

zagsfanforlife
04-27-2017, 07:33 PM
Looks to me like a good redshirt candidate

sittingon50
04-27-2017, 08:25 PM
March 5, 2000. Some have reported May 3rd but that's incorrect.

Whoa! That would make him a young one even in the Class of '18!!

Thanks ZF.

zagsfanforlife
04-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Whoa! That would make him a young one even in the Class of '18!!

Thanks ZF.

He just turned 17? Geesh... super young

hondo
04-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Its all about how Europeans write a date down. In the US March 5th 2017 is 03/05/2017 in most if not all of Europe that same date is noted as 05/03/2017. Thus the confusion. March 5th is his birthday. Still very young but listening to his interview he is very mature at the same time.

tummydoc
04-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
04-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Larsen is not part of this freshman class, he's a redshirt. He was a part of last seasons freshman class.

All 5 are freshmen in basketball years, redshirt or true.

Rangerzag
04-27-2017, 10:40 PM
All 5 are freshmen in basketball years, redshirt or true.

Larsen may have been at practices but he did not practice with the team. As late as the final four weekend he had not yet been cleared. What little he may have would have been before his injury and not enough to count as a year.

ZagaZags
04-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Larsen may have been at practices but he did not practice with the team. As late as the final four weekend he had not yet been cleared. What little he may have would have been before his injury and not enough to count as a year.

Will Larsen start over Tillie? MRS is in place if needed for Larsen.

On another note, Grant Gibbs was granted a 6th season. (MRS + RS)

Birddog
04-28-2017, 04:01 AM
Its all about how Europeans write a date down. In the US March 5th 2017 is 03/05/2017 in most if not all of Europe that same date is noted as 05/03/2017. Thus the confusion. March 5th is his birthday. Still very young but listening to his interview he is very mature at the same time.

Thankyou Prof Hondo for clearing that part of this up. So does that mean that if my birthday is 12/3 I'm older in Europe than I am here in the States? Is that why countries in Europe are sometimes referred to as the "old country"?

Birddog
04-28-2017, 04:18 AM
Will Larsen start over Tillie? MRS is in place if needed for Larsen.

On another note, Grant Gibbs was granted a 6th season. (MRS + RS)

First RS is simply a Redshirt whether for medical or development reasons. IIRC, you can't even petition for a "hardship" until after you have completed your 3rd year of eligibility. So called "Medical Redshirts" are sometimes a request for a 2nd and are usually granted, but not always. In cases such as Karno's, you can't compete in a certain % of a season's games to qualify that "off" year as a "Medical Redshirt" year. It's a bit confusing, in some cases like Gibbs', he was given 6 years to play 4. The more common "Medical Redshirt" is like Karno's.

North Idaho Zag
04-28-2017, 07:06 AM
First RS is simply a Redshirt whether for medical or development reasons. IIRC, you can't even petition for a "hardship" until after you have completed your 3rd year of eligibility. So called "Medical Redshirts" are sometimes a request for a 2nd and are usually granted, but not always. In cases such as Karno's, you can't compete in a certain % of a season's games to qualify that "off" year as a "Medical Redshirt" year. It's a bit confusing, in some cases like Gibbs', he was given 6 years to play 4. The more common "Medical Redshirt" is like Karno's.

I don't believe this is correct. Josh got a Medical Redshirt after he was kicked in the jaw.

mattydog73
04-28-2017, 08:48 AM
I know they are freshmen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kispert and Wade develop as leaders.

Zach Norvell is already a leader on this team off the court. However, weather you like it or not / like him or not, this is Josh Perkins' team in 17-18 :allhail:

hondo
04-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Thankyou Prof Hondo for clearing that part of this up. So does that mean that if my birthday is 12/3 I'm older in Europe than I am here in the States? Is that why countries in Europe are sometimes referred to as the "old country"?

In Europe your birthday as noted would be March 12th which could have been an advantage when we were trying to get into establishments like Joey's.

Birddog
04-28-2017, 08:54 AM
I don't believe this is correct. Josh got a Medical Redshirt after he was kicked in the jaw.

I knew that my explanation wouldn't come out correctly. Here are some better explanations.
http://informedathlete.com/medical-hardship-waivers/

However, for an athlete who has appeared in a game or games for their team and then becomes injured, or comes down with a serious illness that prevents them from being able to participate in any more games during the season, it’s possible to obtain a “medical hardship waiver” which will allow them to retain this season of eligibility. In essence, it’s possible for them to get this year “over again” (as long as they haven’t exhausted their five-year or ten-semester window of opportunity).

NCAA Division I – An athlete must not have participated in more than three contests or 30 percent of their season schedule (whichever is greater) and not after the halfway point of the season (based on the number of contests rather than a particular date)

And another link.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
All of these must be proven with documentation. That means medical documentation to prove the injury and that it was season-ending and participation information to show that the student-athlete did not play in too many contests.

This documentation is normally pulled together by the compliance office and training room. Some conferences require the athlete to submit a statement or letter as part of the request. There are cases where athletes need to take a more active role though. Most common are when an athlete transfers before getting the waiver or when an athlete received a second opinion on an injury.

Regardless of how much work athletes need to do, here are some tips to make sure getting a season back goes smoothly:

Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Finally, remember that getting the waiver is not the only consideration. The most important thing for an athlete is to get healthy and back out on the field again. Just because you might not qualify for a waiver is not an excuse to go back out there when you should not and risk losing the next season or your career.For that season, it is important that if an athlete redshirts or sits out after a transfer and it is at all possible that year might be used toward a sixth year, the athlete should document what happens during that year thoroughly. Make sure paperwork from injuries is in order, and keep up with rehab and doctors’ appointments. Any other hardship, like family financial difficulties, should be documented

CDC84
04-28-2017, 08:57 AM
BTW - how is this kid's last name pronounced?? My French sucks unless I am ordering French Fries.

Zagceo
04-28-2017, 09:10 AM
i i e .......................from the intro on the draft express interview

tinfoilzag
04-28-2017, 09:46 AM
i i e .......................from the intro on the draft express interview

It looks like i may of been pronouncing Tillie's last name wrong as well. I've always said TIL-lee instead of what appears to be the proper til-LAY.

Can anyone confirm?

Zags_Fanatic
04-28-2017, 09:52 AM
It looks like i may of been pronouncing Tillie's last name wrong as well. I've always said TIL-lee instead of what appears to be the proper til-LAY.

Can anyone confirm?

I think that dude actually butchered it. Here is a site where a couple of people from France pronounce his brother's name and it sound more like Til-lee with a bit of frenchiness to it. https://forvo.com/word/kim_tillie/

GoZags
04-28-2017, 10:05 AM
I think that dude actually butchered it. Here is a site where a couple of people from France pronounce his brother's name and it sound more like Til-lee with a bit of frenchiness to it. https://forvo.com/word/kim_tillie/

If in doubt ... go with Heister.

JPtheBeasta
04-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Can anyone confirm?

Tillie would be Tee-yee if the interwebs are to be trusted. (Double L does have a "y" sound if I remember my high school French.) But he's in 'Merica so I'm going to pronounce it however I want.

Howtopronounce.com

CDC84
04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
If in doubt, do not go with Rick Majerus (from heaven) for player pronunciations.

Jeremy Prego and Derek Ravioli. The most tasty backcourt in the nation.

Birddog
04-28-2017, 10:28 AM
You gotta love the off-season
Looks like it's Tee yee
https://www.howtopronounce.com/french/tillie/
Of course the correct pronunciation is how Killian says it. Spokane and Gonzaga don't exactly follow the rules.

MDABE80
04-28-2017, 11:20 AM
"We don't know his name but we know he can shoot" Isn't that enough for this GU crowd?;)

kitzbuel
04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

That was the motto for my unit in OIF.

Mantua
04-28-2017, 02:18 PM

I'm so glad to read this discussion. Your pronunciation looks like how I would assume Tillie would sound in French, but perhaps with the y sound for the double "L". It may or may not contain the "Y" sound because it's a name. Usually the French accent syllables with equal emphasis. I've been pronouncing it "Tee-lee" with equal emphasis on the syllables.

Maybe Greg Heister would do us the kindness of asking Tillie how he pronounces his name? Tillie probably doesn't want to make a big deal of the correct pronunciation, but I would like to know because the little lessons in language and geography are part of the fun of having players from other countries. I think too that Gonzaga fans care more about the players as people.

azzagfan
04-28-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm so glad to read this discussion. Your pronunciation looks like how I would assume Tillie would sound in French, but perhaps with the y sound for the double "L". It may or may not contain the "Y" sound because it's a name. Usually the French accent syllables with equal emphasis. I've been pronouncing it "Tee-lee" with equal emphasis on the syllables.

Maybe Greg Heister would do us the kindness of asking Tillie how he pronounces his name? Tillie probably doesn't want to make a big deal of the correct pronunciation, but I would like to know because the little lessons in language and geography are part of the fun of having players from other countries. I think too that Gonzaga fans care more about the players as people.

You've been pretty much correct. You can hear his dad's name pronounced at the link below at 0:40 and 2:40 and 9:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVsvyPE4Gw

azzagfan
04-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Note, his last name is likely often mis-pronounced even by French speakers who are not familiar with the name due to the double L, so I'm supposing that the family is a bit used to it.

azzagfan
04-28-2017, 04:22 PM
The first name Joël rhymes with Noel (as in Christmas) and is pronounced Zhoe-ehl (softer J sound and two syllables vice one syllable as Joel has in English).

Killian is pronounced as heard in the following link from Killian Tillie's own mouth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2pKIJngGcA

Samiam
04-28-2017, 08:19 PM
A-Yah-Yee

Oddly enough, my other favorite team in the world, Boise State Broncos football had a stud runningback, now with the Dolphins, Jay Ajayi

Spy is the stereotypical Bronco fan.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-29-2017, 02:11 PM
That was the motto for my unit in OIF.

Which unit was that? Just curious.

Zagdawg
05-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Gonzaga Guru Final 4 Retweeted

NBADraftProspects‏
@draftprosnba

Nice start for Gonazaga commit Joel Ayayi today: Capable shot maker. Had some accurate bounce passes as well. Competing defensively.

https://twitter.com/draftprosnba/status/865127767247073280

Kevin Anstett‏
@kevin_anstett

Insep with the W over Barcelona 85/66
Yanik Blanc 18pts 4ass in 26min
Sofiane Briki 16pts 3reb 2ass in 14min
Joel Ayayi 15pts 3ass in 17min

Corky
05-18-2017, 08:26 AM
The date thing cost me some money when i was in my PhD program at the University of British Columbia. Some entities on campus used the US system and some used the European. The libraries use the European and I had a pile of books get way overdue as they read 8/3 so I thought they were due in August, not March. Registration and Financial Aid use the US system. Cost me about $30. I was not pleased.

ZagNative
05-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Joel with a nice game in the first round of the Adidas Next Generation Tournament in Istanbul. Box Score (http://www.adidasngt.com/u18)
schedule for remaining games (http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/competition/teams/showteam?clubcode=JIN&seasoncode=JTF416#!games)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuj6pGHkEdA

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Joel with a nice game in the first round of the Adidas Next Generation Tournament in Istanbul. Box Score (http://www.adidasngt.com/u18)
schedule for remaining games (http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/competition/teams/showteam?clubcode=JIN&seasoncode=JTF416#!games)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuj6pGHkEdA

6/6 including 3/3 from three. Nice.

scrooner
05-18-2017, 09:29 AM
17 min, 15 pts on 6 shots. 1 rebound, 3 assist, 2 steals, 2 TO.

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2017, 09:52 AM
17 min, 15 pts on 6 shots. 1 rebound, 3 assist, 2 steals, 2 TO.

100% shooting. What an efficient stat line.

cggonzaga
05-18-2017, 10:56 AM
I sure like him the more and more I see him.

Coach Crazy
05-18-2017, 12:27 PM
I sure like him the more and more I see him.

And he's not even physically mature, yet. I don't buy that he's going to end up being a PG. Seems like he's going to be a combo guard all the way.

cggonzaga
05-18-2017, 10:58 PM
And he's not even physically mature, yet. I don't buy that he's going to end up being a PG. Seems like he's going to be a combo guard all the way.

Agreed.

Zags_Fanatic
05-19-2017, 12:07 AM
Joel with 14 points on 5/9 shooting in 22 minutes coming off the bench in the second game. http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=5&seasoncode=JTF416

jazzdelmar
05-19-2017, 04:37 AM
How good is this comp? Looks like elite high school tops, to me.

Zagdawg
05-19-2017, 05:45 AM
A little bit of video
http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=5&seasoncode=JTF416#!report

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2017, 06:49 AM
How good is this comp? Looks like elite high school tops, to me.

Euro club junior teams; equivalent to Euro Mickey Dee's.

Zagdawg
05-19-2017, 06:54 AM
Going to jump in size and strength when he gets in Knights program.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Joel.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Joel.png.html)

jazzdelmar
05-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Euro club junior teams; equivalent to Euro Mickey Dee's.

Are you sure? Don't look like US Mickey Dee talent to me....maybe top flight AAU.

Zagdawg
05-19-2017, 07:13 AM
"The Euroleague Basketball Next Generation Tournament, known as the Adidas Next Generation Tournament is an international boy's youth age basketball tournament that is contested between the best basketball clubs in Europe in the Under-18 age category."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euroleague_Basketball_Next_Generation_Tournament

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Are you sure? Don't look like US Mickey Dee talent to me....maybe top flight AAU.

These are some of the top Euro kids. Besides many Mickey Dee's turn out to be busts anyway, you just never know with teenagers.

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Going to jump in size and strength when he gets in Knights program.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Joel.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Joel.png.html)

Man, he's already got the butt to post up smaller guards. lol

jazzdelmar
05-19-2017, 07:27 AM
These are some of the top Euro kids. Besides many Mickey Dee's turn out to be busts anyway, you just never know with teenagers.

True, and some turn out to be one and done lottos.

Bogozags
05-19-2017, 07:38 AM
I remember watching last year's Adidas Tournament and the kid that I think I remember was Yolo...I liked the way he moved with out the ball and he sure did seem pretty strong too! Don't know his age or status as an amateur or pro but think he could develop in to a good 4/5 player...

Also Briki had 11 assists and 6 steals in this game too! That French team must have decent talent to beat the Serbian team the way the did...

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2017, 08:08 AM
True, and some turn out to be one and done lottos.

Yup, which gets back to my ending statement in the previous post: you just never know with teenagers. lol

ZagNative
05-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Joel's squad won today's game vs. Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade 77-62. Box Score (http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=5&seasoncode=JTF416#!boxscore)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2Lx4HvZUU

Mantua
05-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Joel's squad won today's game vs. Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade 77-62. Box Score (http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=5&seasoncode=JTF416#!boxscore)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2Lx4HvZUU

I thought they looked pretty good compared to US players in the same age range.

Zags_Fanatic
05-20-2017, 12:17 AM
Quiet night from Joel with 3 points, 4 assists and foul trouble. His team beat CSKA Moscow to undefeated and win the group and advance to the championship game.

http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=9&seasoncode=JTF416

Zagdawg
05-20-2017, 06:30 AM
Gonzaga Guru Final 4 Retweeted
NBADraftProspects‏ @draftprosnba May 19

Joel Ayayi can do so much damage off the ball. Impressive timing as a cutter. Lacks some explosiveness as a finisher though. #AdidasNGT

ZagNative
05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Joel has good English language skills.

Championship game will be Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OjGb_k20A

bartruff1
05-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Amazing , that youngster can not only speak it.......he can think in English....

roxdoc
05-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Liked his emphasis on defense

DixieZag
05-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Amazing , that youngster can not only speak it.......he can think in English....

Which is more than I can do.

thespywhozaggedme
05-20-2017, 03:13 PM
He just turned 17, he's probably still going to grow

bartruff1
05-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Which is more than I can do.

I can read Spanish but I can't speak it or think in Spanish....I guess I shouldn't be surprised when a European can speak English, nearly all of them can... but what is surprising is that you can go to some of the most remote, primitive areas on earth.....places with bizarre cultural and religious customs........ and find someone who can speak a little English..... places like the Upper Amazon..... or Sub Sahara Africa ....or Southern Idaho and Northern Nevada.

sittingon50
05-20-2017, 05:17 PM
:roll:

MickMick
05-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Liked his emphasis on defense

Yep.

Zagdawg
05-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Joel Ayayi and Insep win the Adidas Next Generation Tournament

6pts 4 boards and 4 assists

Mike Schmitz‏Verified account @Mike_Schmitz 6h6 hours ago
Well deserved win for INSEP. Was the best team all tournament long. Super talented group and fun to watch.

http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=13&seasoncode=JTF416#!videos

http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=13&seasoncode=JTF416

thespywhozaggedme
05-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Joel Ayayi and Insep win the Adidas Next Generation Tournament

6pts 4 boards and 4 assists

Mike Schmitz‏Verified account @Mike_Schmitz 6h6 hours ago
Well deserved win for INSEP. Was the best team all tournament long. Super talented group and fun to watch.

http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=13&seasoncode=JTF416#!videos

http://www.adidasngt.com/u18/game-center/games/showgame?gamecode=13&seasoncode=JTF416

I wonder if there is any other players on the team that we can get in on.

TravelinZag
05-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Any Euro big men possible Zags now?

Reborn
05-21-2017, 09:16 AM
This kid is chisseled. 0 body fat. I can't wait to see him play defense. He's all about that.

thespywhozaggedme
05-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know if Tommy was at this tournament checking out any other potential prospects?

Zags1993
05-24-2017, 07:50 AM
I dug a little bit deeper into advanced stats from this tournament. Despite being one year younger than competition, Joel played extremely well in limited minutes (18 min per game) and was widely seen as one of the two best long-term NBA prospects in Istanbul.

6th in PER (24)
3rd in Assists % (33%)
4th in Offensive Rating
3rd in Effective Field Goal % (67,4%)
2nd in True Shooting % (71,6%)

source: http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/47/adidas-Next-Generation-Tournament/stats/2017/Advanced_Stats/Qualified/All/ts_pct/All/desc

The sample is of limited size but tapes and scouts' comments all add up, the kid is going to be really good. He needs to add weight and become a better ball handler but he could really contribute faster than we expect, especially defensively.

Zags_Fanatic
05-24-2017, 09:20 AM
I dug a little bit deeper into advanced stats from this tournament. Despite being one year younger than competition, Joel played extremely well in limited minutes (18 min per game) and was widely seen as one of the two best long-term NBA prospects in Istanbul.

6th in PER (24)
3rd in Assists % (33%)
4th in Offensive Rating
3rd in Effective Field Goal % (67,4%)
2nd in True Shooting % (71,6%)

source: http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/47/adidas-Next-Generation-Tournament/stats/2017/Advanced_Stats/Qualified/All/ts_pct/All/desc

The sample is of limited size but tapes and scouts' comments all add up, the kid is going to be really good. He needs to add weight and become a better ball handler but he could really contribute faster than we expect, especially defensively.

Good research here, thanks! Even more impressive to be that effective coming off the bench every game.

Zags1993
05-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Some highlights from Joel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaPnOwP6gE

thespywhozaggedme
05-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanks for posting this. I know we've been reading that he's a "combo" guard but his behind the head pass at 1:09 was amazing. His court vision is phenomenal and much better than I anticipated, plus he's a dead eye shooter. And to think he only turned 17 two months ago.

former1dog
05-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks for posting this. I know we've been reading that he's a "combo" guard but his behind the head pass at 1:09 was amazing. His court vision is phenomenal and much better than I anticipated, plus he's a dead eye shooter. And to think he only turned 17 two months ago.

Lots of examples of great passing from a limited sample set. I'd have to agree that he's a phenomenal and willing passer.

Seems like a really good shooter. Squares his feet everytime and takes shots on balance. Would like to see a little higher release.

My only question (not a biggie) is can he fly? He made lots of great plays, but on breakaways and plays at the basket in general, he made the same below the rim underhanded lay up. Not a big concern, just curious more than anything.

maynard g krebs
05-25-2017, 10:44 AM
My only question (not a biggie) is can he fly? He made lots of great plays, but on breakaways and plays at the basket in general, he made the same below the rim underhanded lay up. Not a big concern, just curious more than anything.

He's young and will gain strength and athleticism with age and weight training. But those "underhanded" layups show me an innate understanding of how to use his body to shield the ball from defenders. And he just wants to get the 2 points; doesn't care about showboat dunking. That's a positive to me.

Agree about exceptional passing in this vid. I'm excited about that.

HenneZag
05-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Joel Ayayi reminds me of a more athletic Emmet Naar from SMC(probably didn't spell his name right). Just the way he uses angles and moves around the court, the cutting. Anyone else see the same?

Reborn
05-31-2017, 07:58 AM

The best highlight video, imo. Very impressed with his passing. What I look for in passing is do they use the bounce pass effectively, and he does. He is a great passer in traffic while attacking the basket. Reminded me of Chris Paul. The other thing that impressed me was his speed. I believe some posters here questioned his speed, but I don't see that at all. He outran everyone.

Kiddwell
05-31-2017, 08:15 AM
What a great-looking athlete. Uses the glass. Lean, rangy, & quick. Good ball-handling skills.

:adored:

jazzdelmar
05-31-2017, 08:21 AM
The best highlight video, imo. Very impressed with his passing. What I look for in passing is do they use the bounce pass effectively, and he does. He is a great passer in traffic while attacking the basket. Reminded me of Chris Paul. The other thing that impressed me was his speed. I believe some posters here questioned his speed, but I don't see that at all. He outran everyone.

With you, Bornie...and not unnecessarily flashy.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2017, 08:47 AM
What a great-looking athlete. Uses the glass. Lean, rangy, & quick. Good ball-handling skills.

:adored:

Joel's got a following at my son's HS...I'm beginning to see why. How big a following? Depends on how many Zag items will be on the list to purchase in Spokane in about 7 weeks.

MDABE80
05-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Jesse Wade's speed was questioned Reborn. NOT Ayayi's. He looks like a great find at 17 yrs of age. Surprisingly sophisticated in his moves. Anticipation looks good. Only 2 mins of video but he's looking like a superior player. Short "look see" but he plays beyond his years.

DixieZag
05-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Wow.

So calm/cool it's like he's got the game going in slow motion in his head, at age 17.

Reborn
05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Jesse Wade's speed was questioned Reborn. NOT Ayayi's. He looks like a great find at 17 yrs of age. Surprisingly sophisticated in his moves. Anticipation looks good. Only 2 mins of video but he's looking like a superior player. Short "look see" but he plays beyond his years.

thanks for the correction

Zag_Dad
05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
His length (6'8" wingspan) is evident in these videos. He is gonna be tough to defend and looks like he can frustrate on defense.

ZagNut08
05-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Gotta get rid of those scoop layups from the hips.

jazzdelmar
05-31-2017, 03:16 PM

Yes, that's not gonna fly in CBB.

Reborn
05-31-2017, 05:14 PM
the scoop layup was one of my favorite shots I used in college ball at Gonzaga. I learned the shot from Bob Cousey who played for Boston Celtics probably back in the 50's and 60's. I will admit it was very effective, but I had to practice it a lot. I loved to practice new shots all the time. There could be a tendency to get bored unless one is able to create new shots. I used to shoot behind the backboard to with my left hand on the right hand hand side of the court. Also shooting long jumpers with my right hand behind the backboard as well. I got good at it and used 'em games too. If you're a 6' white guy playing D-1 basketball you have to be very very creative if you want to be successful. I could not dunk but I could touch the rim. lol lol

scrooner
06-01-2017, 06:42 AM
Yes, that's not gonna fly in CBB.

Didn't Raivio have a similar layup style?

Reborn
06-01-2017, 07:04 AM

Yes. I believe he did.

scrooner
06-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Yes. I believe he did.

https://youtu.be/bWXRHZpwuDs?t=44s

maynard g krebs
06-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Disagree. I learned to use that shot as a little kid playing 1 on 1 with my older brother. He's between 6'3 and 6'4 now; I'm a shade under 5'10, so being 3 yrs older he was a foot or more taller than me as kids.

If I went straight up with a layup he'd easily swat it every time, so I learned to half-turn my back to him to shield the ball, and extend my arm out perpendicular to my body and shoot sort of a hook layup. That shot served me well until I got in my mid 50's and pretty much lost the last shard of ability to drive to the basket. But even now in my 60's if I get a weakside offensive rebound w/ inside position and a bigger/more athletic guy is right behind me, I'll just put my butt back into him, lean forward and extend my arm and scoop it underhand. Usually unblockable unless he goes over the back and fouls.

IMO Ayayi has the spatial awareness to understand when he's in position to use this shot, when he has his body betw the defender and the ball. Also, I think it's draftexpress lists his vert at 29" and at his age, with weight training that's gonna improve by several inches.

mgadfly
06-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Disagree. I learned to use that shot as a little kid playing 1 on 1 with my older brother. He's between 6'3 and 6'4 now; I'm a shade under 5'10, so being 3 yrs older he was a foot or more taller than me as kids.

If I went straight up with a layup he'd easily swat it every time, so I learned to half-turn my back to him to shield the ball, and extend my arm out perpendicular to my body and shoot sort of a hook layup. That shot served me well until I got in my mid 50's and pretty much lost the last shard of ability to drive to the basket. But even now in my 60's if I get a weakside offensive rebound w/ inside position and a bigger/more athletic guy is right behind me, I'll just put my butt back into him, lean forward and extend my arm and scoop it underhand. Usually unblockable unless he goes over the back and fouls.

IMO Ayayi has the spatial awareness to understand when he's in position to use this shot, when he has his body betw the defender and the ball. Also, I think it's draftexpress lists his vert at 29" and at his age, with weight training that's gonna improve by several inches.

It is fine in one on one or as a change-up to catch defenders off guard. He does it repeatedly in the highlight video instead of attacking the rim and dunking (even on some breakaways where he has the guy beat by a step). A good help-defender who knows the scouting report will love to be attacked with a scoop shot. Hopefully he get better at taking help defenders out of the play by finishing at the rim (and then every now and then countering with the scoop).

DixieZag
06-01-2017, 11:10 AM
It is fine in one on one or as a change-up to catch defenders off guard. He does it repeatedly in the highlight video instead of attacking the rim and dunking (even on some breakaways where he has the guy beat by a step). A good help-defender who knows the scouting report will love to be attacked with a scoop shot. Hopefully he get better at taking help defenders out of the play by finishing at the rim (and then every now and then countering with the scoop).

Maybe he can't quite dunk in games comfortably enough, given his age? I'm sure at that height and wingspan he can definitely throw them down in practice. But, he's played against grown men at times (has he not?) and I can see holding on - for now - to a tool that still works, while working on the confidence needed to go in someone's face and just throw it down.

I say all this as a 5-10 guy who played sophomore bb and got halfway up the net at the best of times, so take that into consideration, too. I just know that guys who could throw some impressive dunks in practice, never had the confidence in games to grip it and get it down hard until much later.

Zag_Dad
06-01-2017, 05:41 PM

Steph Curry has used a similar shot several times tonight. I don't watch much NBA so I don't know if that normal for him but he seems to have it going tonight.

Zags1993
07-12-2017, 01:37 AM
Joel is preparing for the U18 Euro Championship, playing with 1999 born players. He seems to have been dominating in their first prep tournament last week. One of his teammates is Jaylen Hoard, a 2018 top 20 recruit. Joel scored 33 points against Croatia and Luka Samanic.

http://images.bebasket.fr/actualites/corps/2017/u18--m----la-croatie-fait-dejouer-les-bleus1499592192.jpeg
http://images.bebasket.fr/actualites/corps/2017/u18--m----les-bleus-remportent-le-tournoi-de-tarare1499667520.jpeg
http://images.bebasket.fr/actualites/article/2017/u18--m----les-bleus-remportent-le-tournoi-de-tarare.jpg

zaguarxj
07-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Eye-popping FG% in the U18 games. Wow.

Zerogame
07-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Very nice Stat line. He scored 33 pts without a trip to the free-throw line.

btzag
07-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Really nice stats vs some good competition if the rankings on Semantic and co are any indication. Would love to see some video on those games....

Worthington
07-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Damn we've got some talented players coming up...

MDABE80
07-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Just amazing year after year what Tommy does.

Zagdawg
07-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Sounds like another good one -- will be great to have him on campus with the guys preparing for the next run.

thespywhozaggedme
07-12-2017, 10:14 AM
WOW!!

Mantua
07-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Thank you for your post Zags1993. What a bright spot!

Zagdawg
07-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Those are the warmup games for this tournament.

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u18/2017/games#

Goshzagit
07-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Never had a player like him.

thebigsmoove
07-12-2017, 12:23 PM
How is Hoard rated so highly but Ayayi slips through the cracks? Thats really something.

kitzbuel
07-12-2017, 04:44 PM
33 against Croatia is impressive.

I can see the French National team coaches making a trip to Spokane this season. They have a lot of their talent being groomed there.

thebigsmoove
07-13-2017, 04:51 AM
33 against Croatia is impressive.

I can see the French National team coaches making a trip to Spokane this season. They have a lot of their talent being groomed there.

That would be sweet. Would be cool to get a friendly against the U19 squad. I guess sans Tillie, lol.

Zagdawg
07-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Inside The Kennel‏
@InsideTheKennel
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Bronek Wawrzynczuk
Don't think this is anything serious for @joel_ayayi...hoping he will be ready to go once he hits campus in August

Bronek Wawrzynczuk‏
@Eurospects
Bronek Wawrzynczuk Retweeted Gaétan Scherrer
Joel Ayayi one of the best 2000 born players out from #FIBAU18Europe w/ minor leg surgery.
Too bad, he was best scorer of France during prep

Zagger
07-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Inside The Kennel‏
@InsideTheKennel
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Bronek Wawrzynczuk
Don't think this is anything serious for @joel_ayayi...hoping he will be ready to go once he hits campus in August

Bronek Wawrzynczuk‏
@Eurospects
Bronek Wawrzynczuk Retweeted Gaétan Scherrer
Joel Ayayi one of the best 2000 born players out from #FIBAU18Europe w/ minor leg surgery.
Too bad, he was best scorer of France during prep

Dang! Heal up quickly and well young man!