PDA

View Full Version : Andy Katz let go.

MickMick
04-27-2017, 05:48 AM
There has been no national voice that has been a greater advocate for the legitimacy of Gonzaga basketball or has been more complimentary of Mark Few.

I'm sure that I'm speaking for more than just myself that we find this move by ESPN to be regrettable, and we wish Andy the best of fortune in the future.

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 06:05 AM
There has been no national voice that has been a greater advocate for the legitimacy of Gonzaga basketball or has been more complimentary of Mark Few.

I'm sure that I'm speaking for more than just myself that we find this move by ESPN to be regrettable, and we wish Andy the best of fortune in the future.

He won't be unemployed very long, that's for sure.

Reborn
04-27-2017, 06:11 AM
Pretty sad, imo. Wishing him all the best. And a huge thank you for all the support he gave to the Zags. I lost so much respect for ESPN last year. Their analysts were so bad in their analysis of the NCAA Tournament. Their predictions were horrible.

Go Zags!!!

Birddog
04-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Katz has always been one of the better reporters IMO. He'll be missed. I'll bet he gets picked up by someone, probably FOX.

GoZags
04-27-2017, 06:14 AM
Pretty sad, imo. Wishing him all the best. And a huge thank you for all the support he gave to the Zags. I lost so much respect for ESPN last year. Their analysts were so bad in their analysis of the NCAA Tournament. Their predictions were horrible.

Go Zags!!!

I "try" to be respectful ... positive ... try to look at the "good" ... root for folks to "win" (and not lose) but I'll be honest. I didn't mind seeing Len Elmore's name on the list yesterday.

rennis
04-27-2017, 06:54 AM
That sucks, Andy has been along for the ride since the beginning. He wrote the Cinderella Watch piece for a number of years on ESPN.com. As most of us know was pretty much the only guy outside of Spokane who, in 1999, thought that team could win games in the NCAA tourney.

kclubfounder
04-27-2017, 07:19 AM
CBS, please call him right now.

jazzdelmar
04-27-2017, 07:24 AM
I "try" to be respectful ... positive ... try to look at the "good" ... root for folks to "win" (and not lose) but I'll be honest. I didn't mind seeing Len Elmore's name on the list yesterday.

Here, here. And I would not mourn the loss of Jay "Vroom Vroom" Williams either. ESPN could easily offload a number of Dookies and not lose a beat.

jazzdelmar
04-27-2017, 07:25 AM
CBS, please call him right now.

Substitution, Katz for Seth Davis...or Kellogg....or the Jet.......or Grant Hill....on an on....

CDC84
04-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Katz picked Gonzaga to win the national championship this March despite all the doubters. He came dang close.

This is AWFUL news. He is honestly one of the 3 best TV/website college basketball analysts and news gatherers that exist. I say this with my heart on 16 stacks of Bibles: I would say the same thing if he had never written a word about Gonzaga. He is so well connected within college basketball. He's the first guy at ESPN to break stories and so on. He is more than just an analyst. He's really more of a reporter than an analyst. ESPN has no one who can replace him. No one has the inside scoop that he does.

CDC84
04-27-2017, 07:47 AM
If they retain Jay Williams......man, they're really off their rocker. ESPN is just going to have a bunch of renegade analysts who are so opinionated and non objective that they won't be able to get the inside scoop on anything.

LongIslandZagFan
04-27-2017, 07:50 AM
And now... outside of a game... I will not watch ESPN. This is just sad.

VinnyZag
04-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Katz was their best college basketball reporter, with emphasis on reporting. With him, O'Neil and Brennan all gone, we won't be seeing much college hoops content on espn.com next year. Goodman and Medcalf are still there, I think, but who else?

mtzaga
04-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Anti-Zag Len Elmore gone.

Anti-Zag Michael Smith not gone.

sittingon50
04-27-2017, 08:59 AM
D-U-M.........dumb.

CDC84
04-27-2017, 09:10 AM
The problem with this firing, again, is that Katz was their main inside scoop reporter. He's totally different from even a guy like Jay Bilas. Jay provides analysis, but he can't break the story on a coach who is about to be canned, or if the NCAA is going to investigate a program. Just totally stupid on ESPN's part. It takes years to build the connections that Katz has.

allbusiness_zag
04-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Cancelled my insider subscription. Really going to miss Katz, O'Neil and Brennan. This sucks.

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2017, 09:28 AM
If they retain Jay Williams......man, they're really off their rocker. ESPN is just going to have a bunch of renegade analysts who are so opinionated and non objective that they won't be able to get the inside scoop on anything.

Is Bill Oreilly looking for a job still?

SageOfZagville
04-27-2017, 09:29 AM
And now... outside of a game... I will not watch ESPN. This is just sad.

I totally agree... If its not a game, I won't watch. They keep Power 5 Homers and get rid of the best CBB analyst out there. In my opinion ESPN has appointed themselves as the arbiter of all social injustice, and have gone overboard in their anti racist diatribe, to the point of being racist themselves. Just my two cents.

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 09:29 AM
The problem with this firing, again, is that Katz was their main inside scoop reporter. He's totally different from even a guy like Jay Bilas. Jay provides analysis, but he can't break the story on a coach who is about to be canned, or if the NCAA is going to investigate a program. Just totally stupid on ESPN's part. It takes years to build the connections that Katz has.

Notice how most of the people they're retaining are all Power 5 people, like Dakich?

Just_An_Old_Zag
04-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks Andy! Spent a lot of time in your Korner. to be continued....indeed

MDABE80
04-27-2017, 09:39 AM
Dakich doesn't like us much. But he's lousy. Andy's been so amazingly supportive. Big loss but he'll get work. ESPN is almost owned by the Power 5 now. Bad choice.

Zagdog71
04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
I don't post very much but just had to echo how bone headed this move was. Andy is extremely knowledgeable and fair. My favorite.

He will land elsewhere easily. Just hope we get to read and hear him often. Maybe he will take time off to write a book before picking up a new gig.

ZagNative
04-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Cancelled my insider subscription. Really going to miss Katz, O'Neil and Brennan. This sucks.Good idea. After reading your post, I cancelled my subscription too.

btzag
04-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Good idea. After reading your post, I cancelled my subscription too.

I also cancelled mine this morning. 3 of my favorite analysts gone; Katz in CBB, Stark in MLB and Dilfer in NFL plus really enjoyed the Russillo/Kanell show and Eamon as a cbb writer. Cut lots of really good talent and kept ALL the crap they already had, very disappointing.

CDC84
04-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Notice how most of the people they're retaining are all Power 5 people, like Dakich?

Yeah, the biggest jerk in sports media. You heard it. Not just a guy whose analysis sucks, but a jerk of a person.

See his little Twitter spat with Tom Izzo from this past February........

CDC84
04-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Speak with your wallets. When you cancel, do they give you a little box to voice your opinion about why you cancelled??

ZagNative
04-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Speak with your wallets. When you cancel, do they give you a little box to voice your opinion about why you cancelled??Yes, and I said it was because they fired Andy and a lot of other great people.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Here, here. And I would not mourn the loss of Jay "Vroom Vroom" Williams either. ESPN could easily offload a number of Dookies and not lose a beat.

With you Jazz!

ZagNative
04-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Speak with your wallets. When you cancel, do they give you a little box to voice your opinion about why you cancelled??They did send me an e-mail directing me to another part of their site after my first attempt to cancel, and the new site didn't give me the opportunity to state my specific reason.

Colin Cowherd on the firings in a New York Post piece (http://nypost.com/2017/04/26/colin-cowherd-this-awful-day-is-only-the-beginning-for-espn/):

Colin Cowherd claims he saw this ESPN doomsday coming years ago.

The longtime ESPN voice, who now spouts his opinions on Fox Sports, said he was not surprised by ESPN’s decision to lay off about 100 employees Wednesday after he witnessed the Worldwide Leader jump at billion-dollar TV deals at a time when the TV business was on the decline. Cowherd retroactively pointed to the nine-year, $24 billion contract ESPN inked with the NBA in 2014, when Cowherd still resided in Bristol, as an example of the financially alarming trend in his eyes.

“I told my producers, ‘Fellas, it’ll never be the same here,’” he said Wednesday on CBS’ “Bull & Fox” show. “You cannot pay four times for the house [more] than what you paid for the house last year. And I said this company will never be the same. It was at that point I started looking, and this is not going to end today. They have really cost-prohibitive contracts, combined with cord-cutting.”

The ESPN cuts were drastic, but were not unprecedented. In 2015, Bristol laid off about 350 employees, and Cowherd claimed he knew then — with the price ESPN had paid for sports TV contracts — that the cycle would continue.

“I said it the next day [in 2015], it’s awful, and it will happen annually for the next decade,” Cowherd said.

jbslicer
04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Anti-Zag Len Elmore gone.

Anti-Zag Michael Smith not gone.

Good news!

sittingon50
04-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Is Bill Oreilly looking for a job still?

I think so, but he'll probably need a lackey to check the remaining "blonde" scorecard at ESPN.

zag67
04-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Katz, good luck on where you end up. ESPN and I are going to be seeing less of each other.

Ezag
04-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Katz was one of the good ones. All in all I cannot feel too sorry these reporters and their giant salaries. I am sure they got a decent severance

jazzdelmar
04-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Otoh, how safe is the WCC contract w espn? Meaning, does it make more than it costs. Time for GU to consider over the top options.

webspinnre
04-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Jayson Stark and Andy Katz were two of my favorites, definitely sad to see them go. Brennan also solid, was a fan of Dilfer and O'Neil as well.

edit: Jim Caple too! Two of my favorite baseball writers, gone. :(

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Otoh, how safe is the WCC contract w espn? Meaning, does it make more than it costs. Time for GU to consider over the top options.

I doubt the WCC contract is more than $5 million a year. So long as the Zags are featured in more than half the games, ESPN is doing fine with the contract.

As for their contract with the Big East, that's a separate issue: $40-$50 million a year.

RenoZag
04-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Cancelled my insider subscription. Really going to miss Katz, O'Neil and Brennan. This sucks.

Brennan is a very talented writer. Would not be shocked to see his byline on The Ringer or Yahoo!Sports before long.

MDABE80
04-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Might be a silver lining if Katz
Get support for Anne's
Network
And he takes
His friends
And revenues with him . Golden opportunity for him and others looking to get into
The "sports business"

doctorzag
04-27-2017, 02:38 PM
I doubt the WCC contract is more than $5 million a year. So long as the Zags are featured in more than half the games, ESPN is doing fine with the contract.

As for their contract with the Big East, that's a separate issue: $40-$50 million a year.

I thought the Big East was with Fox?

gon2mt
04-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Really thought that Eamonn Brennan was an excellent writer.

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 03:52 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks! The article I checked said they're averaging about 100K viewers per game. I guess they had to overpay back in 2013.

229SintoZag
04-27-2017, 03:53 PM
This is shocking. I feel like ESPN should not even bother covering college basketball if they think that letting a guy like Katz go makes any business sense at all. They have nobody there who even approaches what he brings in covering college hoop. In firing him they have not only lost an on air personality but they have lost a huge resource for them. This would be akin to firing Peter Gammons in baseball 15 years ago.

I am almost certain that, whatever the economics are at ESPN, this will go down as a mistake that will cost them much more than they think they are "saving."

I just hope Katz lands somewhere that makes sense, where we can pick him up and where he won't miss a beat.

Zagceo
04-27-2017, 04:31 PM
One point of view...

The most interesting aspect of the mass layoffs on Wednesday isn’t that they happened, it’s who the network targeted. Not the high-priced carnival barkers and the know-nothing loudmouths doing their best to make Rachel Maddow proud. Nope. ESPN targeted sports reporters. In an effort to cut some fat from its bottom line, ESPN exchanged a scalpel for a chainsaw, skipped the fat entirely, and went straight to cutting out muscle.

LINK (http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/26/the-real-story-behind-espns-wednesday-massacre/)

tinfoilzag
04-27-2017, 04:40 PM

To give some perspective, I believe ESPN is spending 1/2 Billion (with a B) annually on their NBA contract.

basketballzag
04-27-2017, 04:49 PM

I suspect the ESPN/WCC Contract is going to be nearing its end in the very near future. College basketball and Hockey are going to go the way of ESPN's outdoor programing by the end of 2020. ESPN is focusing on college football/NFL/NBA and a diminished MLB. Everything else is left for the other networks to handle.

It doesn't take rocket science to see that Dana O'Neil, Andy Kata, CL Brown, Eammon Brennan, Brendan Fitzgerald, David Lombardi, and Len Elmore being fired means that ESPN is about to kill it off. They did the same thing with the Outdoor Network they created by scaling it back for a year until they ultimately terminated that programming. Hockey & MCBB are out so Fox or CBS or NBC will pick up the void that ESPN now leaves.

The WCC better be making their contingency plans though right now.

CDC84
04-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Andy released a statement today. Gracious as always. And you can bet there will be many companies competing for his services.:

https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/857628431567212548

webspinnre
04-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Andy released a statement today. Gracious as always. And you can bet there will be many companies competing for his services.:

https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/857628431567212548

Wonderful. I'd love to have him as a sideline guy for CBS during the tournament.

primal23
04-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Edited to remove

webspinnre
04-27-2017, 10:27 PM
This is why I'm glad the occ is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ignore part 4, then. Parts 1-3 are certainly true.

ZagaZags
04-27-2017, 10:35 PM

True, it made GU Boards great again.

TexasZagFan
04-28-2017, 04:19 AM
Just ignore part 4, then. Parts 1-3 are certainly true.

As you might expect, I agreed with the entire article. I was sad to see the OCC go, but it didn't take long to find an alternative. I no longer find a compelling reason to watch ESPN, and their current lineup is mostly personalities shouting at each other. They had a nice run, but management messed up by getting rid of their content providers. To think that Andy Katz is gone, while Crash Williams and Dan Dakich remain employed, it's a head scratcher.

Bogozags
04-28-2017, 05:44 AM
This is all about the motto line...they trimmed a lot of high dollar people off their payroll.

I agree that ESPN is about the Power Five Conferences as they have the best athletes and the most visibility and they make the most money from football. ESPN realized this so they have aligned themselves with these football conferences and Notre Dame.

Cut expenditures and raise profits, isn't that the way of business?

I won't cancel my insider subscription as there are some things I like to read besides CBB. Since my gambling days in the 80's and 90's, I no longer have an interest in pro or college football unless BSU or PSU are playing so no need to listen to ESPN unless the Yankees or Boston are playing or a good college basketball game is on...

Also, read above about Elmore and he was not a GU hater as he picked them to go to the FF a couple of years ago and he had objective things to say about GU during the season...I'll bet Katz goes to NBC...

Zagceo
04-28-2017, 06:07 AM
With all the scandals tied to North Carolina via Politics and education......I'm struggling to suppress my schadenfreude toward espn President John Skipper graduate of University of North Carolina.

TexasZagFan
04-28-2017, 06:25 AM
With all the scandals tied to North Carolina via Politics and education......I'm struggling to suppress my schadenfreude toward espn President John Skipper graduate of University of North Carolina.

LOL - my son took a little flak from schoolmates that are UNC fans. I gave him another arrow for his quiver: "say, how's the academic fraud investigation going?"

I reminded him of the philosophy of Zag basketball, as espoused by Mark Few: it's a journey, not a destination. He's a tough kid, used to cheering on the Zags in hostile venues.

primal23
04-28-2017, 07:50 AM
Edited to be removed

Zagceo
04-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Maybe because its better NOT to talk about Politics when trying to focus on Gonzaga Basketball.

and you don't believe some are pulling the plug on espn for political dialogue mixed in with sports.

webspinnre
04-28-2017, 08:14 AM
My point is, you can find articles to fit either side of the narrative.
Colin cowherd, who I don't trust as a "source" says it's because of ESPN bidding to high on licensing.
Other articles talk about how almost all sports channels are hurting due to cord cutters.
Where is the truth? Somewhere in the middle as always. Did people leave because of their content? Yep. Did people leave because they don't want to pay high cable/satellite costs? Yep.
But this idea that it's only based on content/politics is trying to fit it all into a nice little narrative to blame a side you don't like.

The article lists those other 3 points first - only the 4th point is politics related.

primal23
04-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Can my posts be removed please.

bartruff1
04-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Dog days....each day seems to take 7 days....the Winter Solstice was back in late December and it seems like the last 100 days has taken 700 days.... :(

gcarlson838664
04-28-2017, 11:37 AM
I also cancelled mine this morning. 3 of my favorite analysts gone; Katz in CBB, Stark in MLB and Dilfer in NFL plus really enjoyed the Russillo/Kanell show and Eamon as a cbb writer. Cut lots of really good talent and kept ALL the crap they already had, very disappointing.

I'm another Insider who is no longer Inside with ESPN. They may wonder why the cancellation since it doesn't give an option which states why the cancellation in the drop down menu. But who cares, I'm done with them.

TexasZagFan
04-28-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm another Insider who is no longer Inside with ESPN. They may wonder why the cancellation since it doesn't give an option which states why the cancellation in the drop down menu. But who cares, I'm done with them.

Given the number of cancellations they're getting within 48 hours of the layoffs, they won't need rocket scientists to figure it out.

CDC84
04-28-2017, 12:20 PM
It would be interesting to find out how much money Katz made compared to say, Jay "Crash" Williams or a guy like Dan Dakich.

Think of all the extra hours a guy like Katz works compared to the talking heads who have fixed schedules. Katz's job is almost a 24/7 thing. If news breaks or if he breaks a story, it doesn't matter if it's Monday morning or Saturday night. He's got to be on top of it. I know he has a wife and a couple of kids. Lord knows how he participates in all these marathons that he does. I think he did the Boston Marathon for the first time in 2016. He must have non-stop energy or pound Red Bull all day.

jbslicer
04-28-2017, 01:14 PM
It would be interesting to find out how much money Katz made compared to say, Jay "Crash" Williams or a guy like Dan Dakich.

Think of all the extra hours a guy like Katz works compared to the talking heads who have fixed schedules. Katz's job is almost a 24/7 thing. If news breaks or if he breaks a story, it doesn't matter if it's Monday morning or Saturday night. He's got to be on top of it. I know he has a wife and a couple of kids. Lord knows how he participates in all these marathons that he does. I think he did the Boston Marathon for the first time in 2016. He must have non-stop energy or pound Red Bull all day.

Katz finished the 2015 Boston Marathon in 4:56:31. Good job Andy.

RenoZag
04-28-2017, 02:31 PM
A view of the ESPN layoffs from The Ringer:

https://theringer.com/espn-layoffs-d7fad2feb8d5

The ESPN layoffs remind me of the gutting of newspaper sports pages that has been going on in fits and starts for two decades. Talk to people who worked for newspapers in the ’90s and they’ll tell you they thought their paper was as “invincible” as the Worldwide Leader. After all, classified-ad dollars were going to keep rolling in like cable subscriber fees. Newspaper writers were going to do good work, make decent money, and cruise into retirement age.

When the first layoffs came, they didn’t take out the loudmouth columnist, just as ESPN didn’t take out Stephen A. Smith. No, the first layoffs surgically removed the organs of the paper — that feature writer graying at the temples; the horseracing writer; the sports TV columnist. And so ESPN cut Jeremy Crabtree, who covered college recruiting; soccer writer Mike L. Goodman; and the redoubtable Werder, who wore a hole in the ground standing outside the Cowboys’ practice facility in Valley Ranch.

CDC84
04-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Katz finished the 2015 Boston Marathon in 4:56:31. Good job Andy.

I thought it was 2015 or 2016. He really got into fitness a few years ago. It was very noticeable on the set. He now runs marathons on a semi-regular basis. I thought I heard he digs mountain biking as well. There was that one pic of him and Few in Phoenix where it looked like they were ready to go on a major hike.

LouisianaZag
04-28-2017, 04:47 PM

The Big East is with Fox