PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Major Downsizing

adoptedzag
04-25-2017, 08:40 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/04/24/espn-to-cut-more-than-40-on-air-personalities-in-may/

This also might lead to more "remote play-by-play" announcers as a cost savings. Interesting.

CDC84
04-25-2017, 08:44 AM
They used remote play-by-play announcers for one of the Gonzaga/BYU games in recent years (or was it SMC/BYU?....can't remember), and it was an interesting experience to say the least to hear the announcers not animated with 22,000 screaming fans in the stands.

On the other hand, the thought of listening to Dicky V via remote from Florida is horrifying.

CDC84
04-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Not the best pic of Stephen A

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/BeFunky-Collage67-595x367.jpg

VinnyZag
04-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Not the best pic of Stephen A

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/BeFunky-Collage67-595x367.jpg

I don't know ... seems like it captures his personality pretty well.

cbbfanatic
04-25-2017, 11:56 AM
think we'll keep seeing stuff like this from espn...

they overextended themselves on rights, their subscription base is in decline, and more people are getting wise to the game they've been playing with the cable companies over the years.

they need to find an offset somewhere, even though what's described here won't likely move the needle much.

how long until we see a $15/mo subscription to the stand-alone ESPN suite?

Bogozags
04-25-2017, 12:19 PM
I don't know ... seems like it captures his personality pretty well.

I am not a fan...always seems to have a chip on his shoulder...maybe it's just me.

I liked the original cast of ESPN...

I also think they should have bid high enough to get the NCAA Tournament instead of CBS...they were better suited...IMO

CarolinaZagFan
04-25-2017, 01:43 PM
The only time I watch that ridiculous network is during games that I'm interested in. Then I watch the games on mute and either listen to music or play around on my guitar.

coolhandzag
04-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Neil Everett is from Spokane, and the Zags are broadcast sometimes, and there is some good college basketball.....other than that ESPN pretty much sucks.

Ezag
04-25-2017, 01:51 PM
ESPN is network is terrible, the website is terrible, I can't even visit it at work without those stupid "autoplay" videos going off

webspinnre
04-25-2017, 02:05 PM
The only thing I actually watch is live sports - baseball, football, college basketball, etc.

MDABE80
04-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Neil Everett is from Spokane, and the Zags are broadcast sometimes, and there is some good college basketball.....other than that ESPN pretty much sucks.

SO Is the co-founder of ESPN from Spokane. He's sold his ownership but continues to live quietly.

coolhandzag
04-25-2017, 02:50 PM
SO Is the co-founder of ESPN from Spokane. He's sold his ownership but continues to live quietly.

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

Jim Everett almost broke Jim Rome in half on his show once. That was mildly entertaining. Most of ESPN programming today......still sucks. That's just my opinion.....which pretty much sucks too. I just choose not to watch ESPN unless the Zags are on or another college b-game is on I'm interested in.

CdAZagFan
04-25-2017, 03:30 PM
They used remote play-by-play announcers for one of the Gonzaga/BYU games in recent years (or was it SMC/BYU?....can't remember), and it was an interesting experience to say the least to hear the announcers not animated with 22,000 screaming fans in the stands.

On the other hand, the thought of listening to Dicky V via remote from Florida is horrifying.

One of the most disappointing broadcasts I've ever listened to... very sterile, I believe the crowd noise was fake also, so there was no rise or fall of crowd noise levels. I pray it doesn't come down to that.

VinnyZag
04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Eamonn Brennan is among the college basketball writers being let go. Sad. He does good work.

@eamonnbrennan Eamonn Brennan
Bad news morning. I loved every bit of my eight years at ESPN and will miss it, and so many friends and colleagues there, profoundly.

CDC84
04-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Brennan getting let go is disappointing. He has written a lot of great articles about the Zags over the years.

Ed Werder, a long time NFL reporter, got the ax as well:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/f26eb980-5dc7-3da0-a763-611c044eb75f/longtime-nfl-reporter-ed.html

CDC84
04-26-2017, 09:27 AM
ESPN is network is terrible, the website is terrible, I can't even visit it at work without those stupid "autoplay" videos going off

I 100% agree about their college basketball website. Their redesign was horrible. I don't like all the fancy graphics and loud video that scares the crap out of me whenever I log into the site. It takes me forever to find stories. The screen is just too busy for me. I miss the days where the day's news was located via links on the right hand side of the page. Click on the link, and you are there. There was also an easy link for viewing archived stories and news items.

Here is a news site concerning news item from the world of rock n' roll music that is exactly how I prefer things to be done. It maybe "boring," but it is easy to find what it is you're looking for. I hate when the video, graphics, icons gets in the way of what it is you're trying to find, and when the search box is nearly useless as well:

http://www.antimusic.com/news/

webspinnre
04-26-2017, 11:46 AM
I 100% agree about their college basketball website. Their redesign was horrible. I don't like all the fancy graphics and loud video that scares the crap out of me whenever I log into the site. It takes me forever to find stories. The screen is just too busy for me. I miss the days where the day's news was located via links on the right hand side of the page. Click on the link, and you are there. There was also an easy link for viewing archived stories and news items.

Here is a news site concerning news item from the world of rock n' roll music that is exactly how I prefer things to be done. It maybe "boring," but it is easy to find what it is you're looking for. I hate when the video, graphics, icons gets in the way of what it is you're trying to find, and when the search box is nearly useless as well:

You're just not the target audience anymore, CDC. They're trying to be young and hip and appeal to the smartphone generation, which they've decided has the attention span of a flea and can't handle videos longer than 90 seconds.

Sad to hear about Brennan, he wrote some good stuff.

sittingon50
04-26-2017, 12:06 PM

I like that site you linked, CDC. Like Dragnet; 'just give me the facts, maam."

gueastcoast
04-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Not to go in a political direction myself but widely reported/believed that a meaningful portion of their subscriber losses relate to the rising left-of-center political/cultural stance of the network...not sure if I totally buy that, but coming up in a number of the media reports today.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the autoplay videos, espn.com is one of the worst offenders for that.

jazzdelmar
04-26-2017, 12:11 PM
think we'll keep seeing stuff like this from espn...

they overextended themselves on rights, their subscription base is in decline, and more people are getting wise to the game they've been playing with the cable companies over the years.

they need to find an offset somewhere, even though what's described here won't likely move the needle much.

how long until we see a $15/mo subscription to the stand-alone ESPN suite?

That's a fair monthly price but they could never draw the number of viewers they have now, most of whom have been bogarted by their cable mafia family cum provider to pay up or else......

TexasZagFan
04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
You're just not the target audience anymore, CDC. They're trying to be young and hip and appeal to the smartphone generation, which they've decided has the attention span of a flea and can't handle videos longer than 90 seconds.

Web, based on the names I've seen today, management deserves to be fired. The people being let go are the journalists, they guys and gals that provide the content for the loudmouths to opine over.

For example, I've got SportsNation on the tube right now (took the day off for my colonoscopy), and I'm being shouted at by Marcellus Wiley, Michelle Beadle, and some other guy. I understand 60+ YO white (conservative) males are not the target market, but this is not the ESPN that I have known for 30 years. If it weren't for all the Zags games they show, I'd have cut the cord long ago.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Not to go in a political direction myself but widely reported/believed that a meaningful portion of their subscriber losses relate to the rising left-of-center political/cultural stance of the network...not sure if I totally buy that, but coming up in a number of the media reports today.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the autoplay videos, espn.com is one of the worst offenders for that.

Let me just say that I gave Michael & Jemelle a chance, but they're just too hip, and too boring for me. I already knew what their politics are. BTW, I turned off Fox News last year when they were giving Trump an unlimited forum.

So what do I watch? Best answer I can give is, "it depends." I really dug CMT's miniseries on Sun Records (been to the studio in Memphis a couple of times), watch Billions on Showtime, etc.

jazzdelmar
04-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Big names too...Len Elmore, jayson stark, ed werder...Dana O'Neil...Trent Dilfer....roger Cossack....Jim Bowden

TexasZagFan
04-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Big names too...Len Elmore, jayson stark, ed werder...Dana O'Neil...Trent Dilfer....roger Cossack....

For the most part, these were the folks that provided content, instead of noise.

cbbfanatic
04-26-2017, 01:14 PM
That's a fair monthly price but they could never draw the number of viewers they have now, most of whom have been bogarted by their cable mafia family cum provider to pay up or else......

true, but they don't have to get the same # of subscribers. i think they get $6-7 per cable subscriber today (which is way more than practically every other cable network and i imagine has probably hit its plateau), but that model won't fly indefinitely due to macro trends and new, viable competition. it's already unraveling a bit for them, and they have less leverage (financial & brand) than they had 4-5 yrs ago due to alienation issues mentioned in this thread, a bunch of inflated rights deals and (minimally) a lot of very highly paid talent, which they're addressing right now. so maybe now-ish makes sense to make a big move. hard to say.

in any case, i feel like the subscription model is inevitable, just a matter of time and price. live sports viewership is one of the biggest things preventing an even bigger wave of cord cutters (myself included).. the ala carte route will get a lot of people excited, but as espn continues to lose a bit of share, their value prop becomes less and less compelling. i can get my head around paying $15/mo for the ESPN suite (10 yrs ago, when they were the only cable sports network of real mass, that number probably doubles), but it's harder to justify that $15 if i also have to pay individually for fox sports/nbc sports/cbs sports/pac 12, etc.

it doesnt help that within their own parent company, they are slowly going from cornerstone to red-headed stepchild. why would disney invest more in this declining, partially upside-down model, when they're on fire in other parts of their business (star wars, parks, etc)? this makes it hard to make a big move in any direction, but standing pat wont work either. interesting situation, victims of their own success they are

jazzdelmar
04-26-2017, 01:19 PM
in any case, i feel like the subscription model is inevitable, just a matter of time and price. live sports viewership is one of the biggest things preventing an even bigger wave of cord cutters (myself included).. the ala carte route will get a lot of people excited, but as espn continues to lose a bit of share, their value prop becomes less and less compelling. i can get my head around paying $15/mo for the ESPN suite (10 yrs ago, when they were the only cable sports network of real mass, that number probably doubles), but it's harder to justify that $15 if i also have to pay individually for fox sports/nbc sports/cbs sports/pac 12, etc.

Bingo.....a dream scenario would be something like $50 for ALL live sports outlets.......that would fly, and high........then add quality stuff like HBO and Showtime, maybe a news channel and some specialty channels like NG or Bravo and you have a custom array to really patronize......far less than the $260 I pay now to the Bonanno family, er Spectrum.....

CDC84
04-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Damn kids these days, get out of my backyard! When I was their age I had to use a CRT monitor and carry it with me through 3 miles of snow to get to work with nothing to motivate me but a Walkman!

CDC84
04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Along with college basketball, I am a huge music fan. The only reason why I originally signed up at Direct TV at my subscription level is so that I could watch VH1 Classic when it was active. But VH1 Classic was a part of Viacom, so I had to "get" all of their stations in order to get VH1 Classic. It drove me nuts, paying all that extra money for crap I didn't care about. Also, I pay for the Sports Pack each winter to get the GU games on Root, but most of the sports channels that are a part of the pack are useless due to local blackout rules. And Direct TV folks still don't get the Pac 12 Network.

VinnyZag
04-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Dana O'Neil is gone, too

@DanaONeilWriter
(1)So today has been a bit like attending my own funeral. Iíve always tried to do my job with integrity and itís nice to think ...

ESPN.com's college basketball coverage will be much skimpier next year if both Brennan and O'Neil are gone.

I would recommend AGAINST listening to anyone who says this is because of any sort of boycott or political protest. This is typical of what's happening everywhere in the news industry.

CDC84
04-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Can we call this Black Wednesday yet?

75Zag
04-26-2017, 06:56 PM
I assume most of you saw the articles today about ESPN making huge cuts to their on-air staff and their programming.
Will this effort cause a reduction in GU games shown on the "ESPN family of networks"? I hope not.

Go Bulldogs!

ZagNative
04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Previous post here: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?60557-OT-ESPN-cutting-the-fat

Zagdawg
04-26-2017, 09:03 PM
List of ESPN cuts

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

strikenowhere
04-27-2017, 05:29 AM
Oh man - Andy Katz too? I always enjoyed his articles and thought he did a great job.

MBZags
04-27-2017, 05:31 AM
Insane that Andy Katz got the axe. People like Jay Williams and Dan Dakich are clearly better at their jobs...

TexasZagFan
04-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Insane that Andy Katz got the axe. People like Jay Williams and Dan Dakich are clearly better at their jobs...

Dakich didn't get the axe? He must work really cheap. He is a homer for the Power 5, so that must have given him a leg up in Bristol.

Mojo13
04-27-2017, 09:03 AM

I am doubtful at of the political angle. Seems like click bait, hot take.
I think people underestimate just how quickly cord-cutting is accelerating. I ditched cable 5 plus years ago and I am old.

Most people under 30 don't have cable. The crowd here is the last demo clutching on to cable - sports fanatics are the only people I know now have a justified argument when I tell them how much money they waste.

ESPN is a dying brand. A useless middle man. In 10 years we will all be consuming content directly from the producers via streaming.

"US TV subscriber losses and cord cutter/never household additions saw a major increase in 2016 as compared to 2015: We estimate 2016 saw a decline of 2.05 million US TV subscribers, 2015 saw a decline of 1.16 million, and forecast a decline of 2.11 million TV subscribers for 2017...As of YE2016 we estimate 27.2 million US households (22.3% of HHs) did not have a traditional TV subscription with a Cable, Satellite, or Telco TV access provider, up from 24.2 million (20% of HHs) YE2015, and we forecast 30.3 million (24.6% of HHs) YE2017. 2015 saw 2.1 million, 2016 3 million, and we forecast 3.1 million 2017 cord cutter/never household additions."
http://www.convergenceonline.com/downloads/NewContentUS2017.pdf?lbisphpreq=1

Zagceo
04-28-2017, 07:18 AM
I am doubtful at of the political angle.

I am not

LINK (http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/06/espn-tells-hosts-to-get-more-political-then-replaces-black-conservative-who-got-political/)

KStyles
04-28-2017, 11:05 PM
I am not

LINK (http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/06/espn-tells-hosts-to-get-more-political-then-replaces-black-conservative-who-got-political/)

http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/2017/04/27/as-espn-got-more-political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/

It's one city, and definitely not the cause of their losses (cord-cutting is), but as ESPN reacted to the cord-cutting and went left, losing some of their fans can't help.

bartruff1
04-29-2017, 06:33 AM
NASCAR should be thriving ....

zag944
05-01-2017, 02:23 PM
I've read that ESPN costs an arm and a leg for cable companies to carry....in the exhaustive book written about the network a few years back I remember reading they were like $7.50 per subscriber just for the base network while networks of decent prestige in most cable packages (TNT, AMC, USA etc) run like $1 or less. Every cord cut would seemingly hurt ESPN lot more for this reason.

I think that a lot of people are prescribing the things they don't like about sports coverage to these layoffs (liberalism, Deflategate witch hunt, hot take TV, etc), none of which I feel like are all that problematic to their bottom line. With streaming services, twitter, etc though, it just kind of seems like they bought a house in 2007 when they were outbidding people by 9 figures for tv rights...and that is just for the games. SportsCenter, their bread and butter for so many years, is just sort of an antiquated delivery system for a summary of the day in sports...much like the newspaper on the doorstep.