PDA

View Full Version : Tillie, Rui and Larsen Interviewed by Taking the Charge Podcast

Zags_Fanatic
04-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Timestamps for each interview are in the link http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/nba/taking-the-charge-podcast-241-killian-tillie-rui-hachimura-jacob-larsen-of-gonzaga/

sittingon50
04-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the link, ZF.

Birddog
04-27-2017, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the link, the background audio was a bit distracting but still well worth listening too. Those three players all seem to love their Gonzaga experience. Rui flat out said that his language difficulties were the main problem on the court i.e. understanding formations, sets, assignments. BTW, his language skills are coming along. Larsen sounds like he might have lived in the states for awhile, language will not be a problem for him. Three outstanding young men and I'm looking forward to seeing them next year.

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 05:56 AM
A lot of good stuff in that interview. Tillie recruiting Ayayi HARD!!

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2017, 09:04 AM
A lot of good stuff in that interview. Tillie recruiting Ayayi HARD!!

ha! I guess it worked. lol

billyberu
04-27-2017, 12:54 PM
After listening to that it's clear that understanding English will NOT be problematic for Rui next year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Zagger
04-28-2017, 02:47 AM
Great to hear that all three are seriously happy campers being at GU/Spokane. I too think Rui sounds pretty good with his English - maybe more with understanding than speaking right now and that's big. Now that he's at this stage in another language he'll likely really pick up speed on the speaking end. It's great to see GU become such an international draw + still have players from the NW and Western USA. With Joel Ayayi now on board it'll be interesting if GU lands yet another one or 2 foreign players before summer's over. Joel's tweet announcing GU sure had a great Zag feel to it. I've got a feeling that the mix of players next season are going to be really tight and will play some amazing BB. The confidence gained by this past season should provide a noticeable edge for next season. For guys like Larsen & Norvell, who sat out the year, they're really going to be pumped to play. Jones too for that matter. I won't miss KITK in the Fall! Count me in line early :)

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2017, 06:15 AM
After listening to that it's clear that understanding English will NOT be problematic for Rui next year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yeah, for someone who learned the language just 10 months ago, I was quite impressed. As the son of a Greek immigrant who has been here nearly 50 years, I could understand Rui as well as my dad. lol

Zags_Fanatic
04-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Yeah, for someone who learned the language just 10 months ago, I was quite impressed. As the son of a Greek immigrant who has been here nearly 50 years, I could understand Rui as well as my dad. lol

He does seem to be doing well. I've been in the same position living in Brazil without speaking a word of portuguese when I arrived. Around the 9-10 month point was when I started to feel really comfortable and started dreaming in the language, from then on it was a short time before I was speaking fluently. From the interview it sounds like Rui is over the hump, so to speak, and next season will be so much easier for him.

ZagsGoZags
04-28-2017, 09:00 AM
the interviewer was so awful, IMO, it was a constant distraction,
half of his words were, uhhh, yeah, like, you know, er,
and also could not pronounce the subjects of the interview
Kil-lay for Killie and of course Gon zog ga
Just amazingly poor, it must be his own show, because I can't imagine
any organization seeking him out for his interviewing skills.
Maybe he is 17 and still in high school ...
Still worth listening to just for the rare opportunity to hear the three players.

Birddog
04-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Still worth listening to just for the rare opportunity to hear the three players.

People who live in glass houses......

Zagceo
04-28-2017, 09:06 AM

he said Tillay.......might be the French pronunciation of Tillie

ZagsGoZags
04-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Well maybe I am too uppity in my criticism, but it was a huge distraction to me.
I am not fluent in French, at that is possible. I am third to a half fluent and I think
the French pronunciation would approximate

Tee Lee
while Americans would say Tilly, rhyming with silly