PDA

View Full Version : NWG Going pro a mistake? I don't think so, but this writer does

adoptedzag
04-26-2017, 10:12 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/m/ea6d33f4-7299-3636-aef8-87abdbb461f7/ss_5-players-making-a-mistake-by.html

Interesting that out of the 5 that he picks (of a pool of 182 or whatever), 2 are from Oregon.

Pallet
04-26-2017, 10:20 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/m/ea6d33f4-7299-3636-aef8-87abdbb461f7/ss_5-players-making-a-mistake-by.html

Interesting that out of the 5 that he picks (of a pool of 182 or whatever), 2 are from Oregon.

I think the words "cursory" and "facile" are appropriate for that analysis. I do agree that NWG's ceiling is probably the second round in this years draft.

Markburn1
04-26-2017, 01:11 PM
I think the words "cursory" and "facile" are appropriate for that analysis. I do agree that NWG's ceiling is probably the second round in this years draft.

True.

Also true? Nigel would have not positioned himself any higher in the draft next year. His assets are leadership, basketball IQ, and all around guts. Those have been demonstrated. His challenges are foot speed and elite athleticism. Those will not improve with another year in college. Nigel is smarter than 99% of the people on this board. He knows his limitations and he also knows what he CAN do. His determination and heart will afford him an opportunity to play in the NBA. I won't despair for him if the NBA doesn't work out because he has success written all over him. Any company would do well to hire him and if he decides to start his own business or businesses, he will do better than most.

MDABE80
04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
It's reasonable to return. Right now, his defense is lacking and so is his LD shooting as he faded from the 40's% to 36% as the year wound down. I'm think . I happen to agree with the author in some areas. Nigel is the finest floor general we've seen since? Probably Matt. He'd probably score 20 ppg next year. He'd be a strong first team AA (not just on a few scattered here and there) and a very high likelihood of a Wooden award. The awards won't feed him. Maybe his career won't either.
He's 22. NOT the 23 someone here in this forum said. I know nearly everyone says his work his done and he should move on. In his mind he's met his goals. If his main goal supercedes his college goals, he should stay. My point is that he's marginal NBA now. In a year, I think he'd go high. With a great season he's a lottery.

He is going to NBA camps. Not sure if he's sign an agent yet. If I was him, I might rethink what his main goal really is. College stardom should not be a goal or THEE goal if you want to be in the NBA. It's only a vehicle to get there. Just my opinion.

maynard g krebs
04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Superficial would be another good word to use for this story. None of the first 3 are gonna raise their pro stock due to physical limitations. They might go higher in a weaker draft; that's all. NWG will have the same physical limitations a year from now, and be a year older. All he can really do is improve his jumper, and he can do that better if he doesn't have class to go to.

Altman just said that Brooks/Dorsey both told him this was their last season before the year started. and he's been working on their replacements. Brooks will still have short arms a year from now; they are making such a big deal out of physical dimensions now, and ignoring things like heart, toughness, desire, and the ability to step up and make game winning shots. AA and major conf POY; it would be hard for him to do more.

Dorsey is said by Oregon student fans to not particularly like school, and as a Greek citizen he has high value there because he doesn't count against the foreign player limit. And the money there is very good for a player like him.

Ekrub
04-26-2017, 01:33 PM
It's reasonable to return. Right now, his defense is lacking and so is his LD shooting as he faded from the 40's% to 36% as the year wound down. I'm think . I happen to agree with the author in some areas. Nigel is the finest floor general we've seen since? Probably Matt. He'd probably score 20 ppg next year. He'd be a strong first team AA (not just on a few scattered here and there) and a very high likelihood of a Wooden award. The awards won't feed him. Maybe his career won't either.
He's 22. NOT the 23 someone here in this forum said. I know nearly everyone says his work his done and he should move on. In his mind he's met his goals. If his main goal supercedes his college goals, he should stay. My point is that he's marginal NBA now. In a year, I think he'd go high. With a great season he's a lottery.

He is going to NBA camps. Not sure if he's sign an agent yet. If I was him, I might rethink what his main goal really is. College stardom should not be a goal or THEE goal if you want to be in the NBA. It's only a vehicle to get there. Just my opinion.

NBA or Europe the clock is ticking.

cbbfanatic
04-26-2017, 01:44 PM

tough for a 5th yr PG to go from late second/undrafted to lottery. borderline impossible for a kid that's been good since he stepped on the court and is more in the known entity end of the range. with a big, sure, that's much more realistic

the ONLY thing i can think of that would suggest this year isnt a great year to come out is the relative strength of the PG crop (fultz, ball, fox, monk, et al), but he's still probably a second rounder next yr even without those guys in front of him, due to the limitations mentioned above. maybe the potential of being back half 2nd round (good team) or straight up FA isn't entirely negative to him. if he's going to succeed in the NBA, he needs to land in an organization that is a good fit, dont think he's the kind of player that can make that fit for himself, whether this year or next. and that's no knock, very few guys are like that, i'd say especially at the PG spot

it would have meant a ton to GU to have him next year, but i'm not sure what he could have really done to further his career. just based on the #s, there are countless guys these days that are declaring that know they wont get drafted, or wont get a first round guarantee. these guys have more legitimate options these days, and they're not as indentured to their schools as tehy were in the past. doesnt have to be NBA rd1 or bust

Mojo13
04-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Superficial would be another good word to use for this story. None of the first 3 are gonna raise their pro stock due to physical limitations. They might go higher in a weaker draft; that's all. NWG will have the same physical limitations a year from now, and be a year older. All he can really do is improve his jumper, and he can do that better if he doesn't have class to go to.

Altman just said that Brooks/Dorsey both told him this was their last season before the year started. and he's been working on their replacements. Brooks will still have short arms a year from now; they are making such a big deal out of physical dimensions now, and ignoring things like heart, toughness, desire, and the ability to step up and make game winning shots. AA and major conf POY; it would be hard for him to do more.

Dorsey is said by Oregon student fans to not particularly like school, and as a Greek citizen he has high value there because he doesn't count against the foreign player limit. And the money there is very good for a player like him.

Couldn't agree more on all points. This is a silly article on so many fronts.

I'll keep repeating this on different threads. There will be 60 new jobs in the NBA this season with rosters expanding to 17. This is the best year in history for underclassmen to declare. Even if you are among the Top 30-50 guys who don't get drafted you probably have as good a shot at landing a contract as early 2nd round draft pick in normal years.

MDABE80
04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
I do think he'd be physically better in the next season........he does the work, he's gets better. Does he have more speed in him? I'm thinking he does. Leaping would imporve? I think so. Side to side? Not sure. I'm just trying to figure how SIlas could cure the complaints. No criticism of him at all.

I suppose too that floor general ship could be better and would be improved. When I see Joel Berry, at the same age changing his turn and then return, I'm seeing this new article through a different set of eyes. More like a what if he DID come back. What would he, the kid, get in return. You guys think "not much". I disagree.Can't tell unless he comes back. All of this is just opinion.

Goshzagit
04-26-2017, 05:30 PM
I dont think its a mistake, yet given this year's unbelievably record deep draft, i think he would be drafted higher next season.

Most likely a 1st Rd pick in a predicted weak draft next season, maybe 10 spots higher. Not that big of difference.

NWG was commited to going before the season even began. He was going to give it a shot either way. He genuinely wanted to win & improve rapidly at GU, & he predictably did just that.

I still feel NWG should go, Collins should stay.

I have a feeling Collins goes around pick 13 or 15, yet would be a shoe in for Top 5 or even higher next season.

NWG is going to have to prove he belongs either way and I think he makes a team.

That said, I recently was told...his ankle is not the best right now. Apparently back to playing on it, but stability is a concern.

MDABE80
04-26-2017, 05:46 PM
No chance if his ankle is still infirm. I agree on Collins but I'm not keeping the family bank book. I wish both are very successful but have some doubts.

75Zag
04-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Who cares?
The future is now.

Go Bulldogs!

Ezag
04-26-2017, 08:47 PM
You can always improve your play with another season but not guaranteed and not guaranteed it would help Nigel in next years draft. Maybe, maybe not. Collins is gonna be a lottery pick. You don't toss that and come back to be a higher lottery pick. Too much can go wrong and you need to seize it when you know its time and the time is now.