PDA

View Full Version : CBS 25 and 1. Zags at 18. About right if nobody else gets wings.....

MDABE80
04-24-2017, 03:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-miles-bridges-return-has-msu-third-in-top-25-and-one/

18-20ish seems abut right. More will be firmed up after the draft. It depends on who stays and who goes. For now, the damage is pretty much done. I do hope, grad transfers head our way. Good ones who will fill in for the major losses.

WallaWallaZag
04-24-2017, 07:20 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-miles-bridges-return-has-msu-third-in-top-25-and-one/

18-20ish seems abut right. More will be firmed up after the draft. It depends on who stays and who goes. For now, the damage is pretty much done. I do hope, grad transfers head our way. Good ones who will fill in for the major losses.

there's no one out there good enough to even come close to filling the shoes of nwg and karno/collins...elijah brown is good but he's not nwg...i would say more of a mathews replacement (not as good a shooter but more dynamic overall)...and there isn't a big out there that can crack the existing zag rotation without higher intervention (reid travis or a 5 star big). at this point zags would be lucky to pick up a depth big that can simply rebound and play defense adequately.

zag67
04-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Overseas would be nice.

zagsfanforlife
04-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Get brown and i like us as a top 15-20 team. Have the potential to be better but there are a lot of ? marks.

TravelinZag
04-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Bullseye. As of now, lack of depth and experience, and questions as to whether returnees can up their game, and where on court leadership comes from, especially on defense. Keep seeing reruns of Karno adjusting defense, and not certain any returning big man can do that yet.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-25-2017, 03:26 AM
there's no one out there good enough to even come close to filling the shoes of nwg and karno/collins...elijah brown is good but he's not nwg...i would say more of a mathews replacement (not as good a shooter but more dynamic overall)...and there isn't a big out there that can crack the existing zag rotation without higher intervention (reid travis or a 5 star big). at this point zags would be lucky to pick up a depth big that can simply rebound and play defense adequately.

I agree with this. It feels too late in the recruiting cycle to pick up any high school kid who could help this roster immediately. I hope the staff can find one or two grad transfers and/or overseas players who are good enough to contribute right away. After that, pick up a kid who can redshirt to develop for a year or save the scholarships for 2018.

MileHigh
04-25-2017, 04:31 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-miles-bridges-return-has-msu-third-in-top-25-and-one/ I do hope, grad transfers head our way.

If we think long term (beyond next season) I don't think Few should focus on grad transfers, but instead, look at transfers that will sit out a season then have 2+ years to play. Melson, Williams, and Perkins all graduate either this summer or next, if you bring in a 2 or more grad transfers in next season you then have the same issue (but worse) in 18-19, where you lose 4 or 5 rotation guys. I dont think you can rely on 2 grad transfers to come in every year to help you fill gaps, the preferred way is with young guys, especially at a "system" oriented school like Gonzaga

Go with JP, SM, ZN, Rui, Tillie, JWII, Larson, JJ/Wade...and then maybe one grad transfer next year as your rotation. Use the rest of the open schollies on kids that will be around for at least two years

VaBeachZAG
04-25-2017, 06:30 AM
If we think long term (beyond next season) I don't think Few should focus on grad transfers, but instead, look at transfers that will sit out a season then have 2+ years to play. Melson, Williams, and Perkins all graduate either this summer or next, if you bring in a 2 or more grad transfers in next season you then have the same issue (but worse) in 18-19, where you lose 4 or 5 rotation guys. I dont think you can rely on 2 grad transfers to come in every year to help you fill gaps, the preferred way is with young guys, especially at a "system" oriented school like Gonzaga

Go with JP, SM, ZN, Rui, Tillie, JWII, Larson, JJ/Wade...and then maybe one grad transfer next year as your rotation. Use the rest of the open schollies on kids that will be around for at least two years

I agree that it wouldn't be good long term to load up on grad transfers this coming season. However, GU badly needs an experienced body at the 5. If we can simply get a quality 5 grad transfer, then I would be happy. Assuming JP can handle point guard at a high level, and assuming Rui and JJ dramatically step up their game, then the Zags should be in a great place (assuming no serious injuries along the way). What I really am hoping for is that the Zags can show elite staying power by being nationally relevant (like top 10 relevant) next season. With a quality 5 grad transfer and everyone playing to expectation, I think that is very doable.

Markburn1
04-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Get brown and i like us as a top 15-20 team. Have the potential to be better but there are a lot of ? marks.

Same number of question marks as last year. Just different questions.

MDABE80
04-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Perkins has 2 full years left. Melson has 1. Rui 3.