PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards will graduate and leave

Zag_Dad
04-23-2017, 06:57 PM
.@ZagMBB C Ryan Edwards won't return to GU for his redshirt senior year. Plans to graduate with broadcasting degree & start working

Another scholarship available but a little late in game to replace entire front court. It's gonna be a different style of basketball next year.

ZagsGoZags
04-23-2017, 07:09 PM
There are a few questions I have, from ignorance of the situation or the person that Ryan is.
Question #1. Is he good enough to play in a european or overseas league?
Question #2. Does he like the sport, does he enjoy playing basketball? When you look at Williams III or Zach Collins it is evident they dig the game itself, and enjoy jumping in.

Anybody have an idea what the answer is to these two questions?

Zag_Dad
04-23-2017, 07:16 PM
There are a few questions I have, from ignorance of the situation or the person that Ryan is.
Question #1. Is he good enough to play in a european or overseas league?
Question #2. Does he like the sport, does he enjoy playing basketball? When you look at Williams III or Zach Collins it is evident they dig the game itself, and enjoy jumping in.

Anybody have an idea what the answer is to these two questions?

As to your first question, I have no idea. As to the second question, I can only speculate based on what I've seen and heard. Ryan does not love the game the way most collegiate athletes do. He has God gifted size and above average athleticism (compared to average person, not necessarily above average for D1 athlete). He doesn't have the passion to play and used his talent to get his degeee and that is it. I've been told he was told by staff that he would play a significant role with the team next year if he stayed, but despite this, he still has chosen to leave.

I wish Ryan the best and hope the staff finds a player to fill his scholarship that willhelp continue the Zag success.

MDABE80
04-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Been in the works for a while. Ryan is such a good kid. He worked hard to be a part of the Zags. He's a bright kid and he'll do well in his life. Sad to see him go. Just never quite put it together despite hard work. I kinda thought he might stay his last year to shore up the departure laden Zags. Always a Zag! Best wishes young fella!

sittingon50
04-23-2017, 07:32 PM
As to your first question, I have no idea. As to the second question, I can only speculate based on what I've seen and heard. Ryan does not love the game the way most collegiate athletes do. He has God gifted size and above average athleticism (compared to average person, not necessarily above average for D1 athlete). He doesn't have the passion to play and used his talent to get his degeee and that is it. I've been told he was told by staff that he would play a significant role with the team next year if he stayed, but despite this, he still has chosen to leave.

I wish Ryan the best and hope the staff finds a player to fill his scholarship that willhelp continue the Zag success.

That's about as backhanded as they come. Thanks for the speculation.

Thanks Ryan for your time & effort on the floor & in the classroom. You always carried yourself well, honoring your family & the University you represented. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

webspinnre
04-23-2017, 07:48 PM
He got a quality education, played some basketball, and is ready to go to work. Congratulations to Ryan Edwards, and best of luck going forward.

Zag_Dad
04-23-2017, 07:48 PM
That's about as backhanded as they come. Thanks for the speculation.

Thanks Ryan for your time & effort on the floor & in the classroom. You always carried yourself well, honoring your family & the University you represented. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Absolutely not intended to be backhanded. Sorry if it came across that way. I respect what Ryan gave to the program and suspect he appreciates what he got in return. I believe he worked very hard to be part of the team. He just doesn't have the passion and drive to play basketball the way some of the other players do. There is nothing wrong with that and its best in life that people pursue a career that provides for them financially but also gives them satisfaction and happiness. If that is not basketball for Ryan then he's making the right choice to move on with his life and pursue a career that he is passionate about.

Again, sorry if my comments came across the wrong way.

gonzagafan62
04-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Maybe the writing was on the wall and he only liked GU. We will never know unless we asked him. I'll just say I enjoyed him. Great kid, and a very nice person. Wish him nothing but the best

ZagaZags
04-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Will the last basketball player to leave Gonzaga please turn the lights off.

https://mikemcclaughry.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/quick-turn-out-the-lights-vincent.gif

Zach Collins
Nigel Williams-Goss
Bryan Alberts
Ryan Edwards
*Jordan Mathews
*Przemek Karnowski
*Rem Bakamus

zagsfanforlife
04-23-2017, 08:20 PM
4 open scholarships... 5 if Williams is gone.

ZagaZags
04-23-2017, 08:26 PM
4 open scholarships... 5 if Williams is gone.

Williams isn't gone.

zagsfanforlife
04-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Williams isn't gone.

Agreed but there's a chance. 4 this late is a bit as is

ProVeeZag
04-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Will the last basketball player to leave Gonzaga please turn the lights off.

https://mikemcclaughry.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/quick-turn-out-the-lights-vincent.gif

Zach Collins
Nigel Williams-Goss
Bryan Alberts
Ryan Edwards
*Jordan Mathews
*Przemek Karnowski
*Rem Bakamus

So now you're saying Vincent Price is leaving? He's a 'D-Leaguer' at best.

Joe
04-23-2017, 10:11 PM
Ryan Edwards was one of my favorite guys on this team. He worked with my son last summer in one of the Zags basketball camps and you could tell he legitimately enjoyed being there and working with the kids. Thanks to Ryan for that. He is one of the great Zags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagaZags
04-23-2017, 10:33 PM
So now you're saying Vincent Price is leaving? He's a 'D-Leaguer' at best.

Next season will be a "Thriller" and GU will "Catchfire". It won't be "Tales of Terror". ;)

Outraged
04-23-2017, 10:52 PM
I thougt he played well when he played. Soft hands and it took a lot of energy to move him.

MDABE80
04-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Decimated by success. Get used to it fellas.

CDC84
04-23-2017, 11:24 PM
No other sport punishes you for success like college basketball.

kitzbuel
04-24-2017, 01:30 AM
This one did not catch the staff by surprise. I'm sure the thought was floated to them last fall.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
04-24-2017, 03:20 AM
Best of luck Ryan enjoyed your presence, attitude and representation as a student athlete

jazzdelmar
04-24-2017, 03:41 AM
From a bb point of view this one is a mitzvah, not a disaster like the other 3 or maybe 4 departures.

TexasZagFan
04-24-2017, 04:44 AM
Best of luck Ryan enjoyed your presence, attitude and representation as a student athlete

Well said, Hoop.

I must say I'm disappointed at some of the negativity directed at our players since the season ended. I know, it's purportedly being done in the name of "balance", but I don't like it. We just finished our best season ever, and we're going to have an exciting team to watch next season. IMO, our best days are still to come.

On the drive home from Mass last night (we went to U of Dallas, I needed my "Jesuit fix"), my son mentioned he'd been getting it from a couple of his schoolmates that are Tarheel fans. My first comment was to ask them, "how's the academic fraud investigation going?". My second comment was to remind him that "Gonzaga basketball is a journey, not a destination."

zag67
04-24-2017, 05:25 AM
Thanks Ryan and good luck in the future. Hope to hear you someday

North Idaho Zag
04-24-2017, 07:11 AM
From a bb point of view this one is a mitzvah, not a disaster like the other 3 or maybe 4 departures.

Way to show the love Jazz.

TravelinZag
04-24-2017, 07:34 AM
First, Thanks, Ryan, for everything you did and may all of your professional and personal decisions be kind to you.

Second, I have in the past been an opponent to the Zags backsliding into recruiting undersized players, regardless of talent. In our current situation, temporarily table that notion. Bring on any talented grad transfers, regardless of height. At the rate things are going, they may be coming off the bench as backups in the post!

EEzag
04-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Way to show the love Jazz.

This was not that big of a surprise. Despite what people tell you your minutes are your minutes and your role is your role. He worked his a$$ of despite knowing what his role was and that it wasn't going to change anytime soon. He's just a good smart kid who sees the next stage of his life and is going for it. I like many of the people on this board have met Mr. Edwards and conversed a number of times. He has a better outlook on life and basketball than most people, including most of us. Jazz's comment isn't that harsh. Ryan would be the first to agree. I hope that just because he hung it up that we don't lose track of him. He is an awesome example of Zag nation.

Zagricultural
04-24-2017, 08:42 AM
I am saddened he is leaving. There is no doubt that the stars were finally aligning for him to get some court time next year, and I wanted to see what he could do with 10+ minutes a game. Actually think we really could've used him!

Shanachie
04-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Quick Ryan Edwards story. After a game at the MAC this year, my son and I were waiting by the tunnel for autographs/pictures. Ryan was the first player out. He immediately went over to a developmentally disabled kid who had a ball for the players to sign. Apparently, the kid didn't have, or had misplaced his pen. Ryan said, "Hang on a second," turned, and jogged back down the tunnel. A few minutes later, he came out with a Sharpie, signed the kid's ball, and posed for a picture. By that time, some more players had emerged. Ryan told the kid to keep the pen, and went on his way as the attention of the autograph-seekers shifted to the more well-known players.

That's a player I'm happy to have had in the program. Thanks Ryan, and best of luck.

zagbeliever
04-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Best of luck in your future endeavors Ryan! Your great smile is made for broadcasting. Will miss you. #alwaysaZag

zag buddy
04-24-2017, 09:26 AM
I feel like when it comes to our bigs we just lost a big security blanket. You knew that if needed he would be serviceable to better. If I was him I would declare for the draft - nothing to lose and he is 7' tall and it would look good on a sports broadcasting resume. Don't you think that's what Bill Murry or Chevy Chase would do. Enjoy life Ryan and good luck.

Hoopaholic
04-24-2017, 09:45 AM
I feel like when it comes to our bigs we just lost a big security blanket. You knew that if needed he would be serviceable to better. If I was him I would declare for the draft - nothing to lose and he is 7' tall and it woulod look good on a sports broadcasting resume.

I think he is done with basketball and ready for his next chapter in life....nothing wrong with that and I respect a person who has graduated and made a decision that is in his best interest long term of what HE wants to do..........I look forward to seeing what he does with life......best of luck Ryan you will succeed and fulfill your goals and objectives

Hoopaholic
04-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Quick Ryan Edwards story. After a game at the MAC this year, my son and I were waiting by the tunnel for autographs/pictures. Ryan was the first player out. He immediately went over to a developmentally disabled kid who had a ball for the players to sign. Apparently, the kid didn't have, or had misplaced his pen. Ryan said, "Hang on a second," turned, and jogged back down the tunnel. A few minutes later, he came out with a Sharpie, signed the kid's ball, and posed for a picture. By that time, some more players had emerged. Ryan told the kid to keep the pen, and went on his way as the attention of the autograph-seekers shifted to the more well-known players.

That's a player I'm happy to have had in the program. Thanks Ryan, and best of luck.

Classic ZAG

Mojo13
04-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Absolutely not intended to be backhanded. Sorry if it came across that way. I respect what Ryan gave to the program and suspect he appreciates what he got in return. I believe he worked very hard to be part of the team. He just doesn't have the passion and drive to play basketball the way some of the other players do. There is nothing wrong with that and its best in life that people pursue a career that provides for them financially but also gives them satisfaction and happiness. If that is not basketball for Ryan then he's making the right choice to move on with his life and pursue a career that he is passionate about.

Again, sorry if my comments came across the wrong way.

Nothing to apologize for IMO. That was a hypersensitive reaction.

I played with a load of guys, who just were not as passionate about the sport as their peers. I mean, it is relative as they are passionate enough to have put the effort into getting to the D1 level. But at some point, you can see they are "just not that into it" and may have other interests.

Allot of guys, I knew, were somewhat "forced" or at least heavily pushed into the sport because of their size - especially the really tall kids. Imagine the pressure a 6'10 15 year has to play basketball. Not too many 6'3 guys getting to this level unless they live and breath the sport. But for a 7 footer? they can get by not being 100% dedicated to the sport and still get to an elite level.

I played at a lower level, but many of our "bigs" were somewhat nerdy guys. More interested in tech, sci-fi and their studies. They tended to be more socially awkward, were not too aggressive and didn't care much for the gym. Many of them were STEM majors. Great guys all of them that I never had issues with. The "littles" were more the classic jocks. Heavier on the partying, chasing girls, often weaker in the class room, soft majors, very hard workers in the gym, more aggressive types, often cocky/confident/arrogant. Much easier guys to butt heads with....much more passionate guys. They had to be to rise above.

MontanaCoyote
04-24-2017, 10:17 AM
I think he is done with basketball and ready for his next chapter in life....nothing wrong with that and I respect a person who has graduated and made a decision that is in his best interest long term of what HE wants to do..........I look forward to seeing what he does with life......best of luck Ryan you will succeed and fulfill your goals and objectives

From a fellow Montanan, the very best in your future Ryan. In many ways you did yourself and the Zag's proud.

Dibzie's on 1st pick for pickup games!

whatazag
04-24-2017, 10:30 AM
College is fun compared to real life. If I were to give Ryan advice I'd say stick around another year on the university's dime, take a few classes, hang out with your friends and play basketball. Barring an immediately eligible 2017 transfer or recruit at the center position, he would have gotten solid minutes. That name recognition from playing time could actually be a plus for his broadcasting career.
But its his life, not mine, best of luck to him, I am sure he will have success off the court.

Zagricultural
04-24-2017, 10:33 AM
College is fun compared to real life. If I were to give Ryan advice I'd say stick around another year on the university's dime, take a few classes, hang out with your friends and play basketball. Barring an immediately eligible 2017 transfer or recruit at the center position, he would have gotten solid minutes. That name recognition from playing time could actually be a plus for his broadcasting career.
But its his life, not mine, best of luck to him, I am sure he will have success off the court.

This!

Vanzagger
04-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanks for sharing. This cracks my top 5 plays of the year.

North Idaho Zag
04-24-2017, 11:02 AM
This was not that big of a surprise. Despite what people tell you your minutes are your minutes and your role is your role. He worked his a$$ of despite knowing what his role was and that it wasn't going to change anytime soon. He's just a good smart kid who sees the next stage of his life and is going for it. I like many of the people on this board have met Mr. Edwards and conversed a number of times. He has a better outlook on life and basketball than most people, including most of us. Jazz's comment isn't that harsh. Ryan would be the first to agree. I hope that just because he hung it up that we don't lose track of him. He is an awesome example of Zag nation.

That's exactly my point. Ryan has been a great asset to this program and the best Jazz could give him was a "mitzvah". I guess I am just prouder of these S/A that commit to our program unconditionally regardless of their role than some on this board are.

Thank you Ryan for all you have contributed and best of luck in the future. You would look good in Heisterís chair.

GrizZAG
04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Like Coyote I'm a native Montanan and was really excited upon learning of Ryan coming to Spokane. I've said before that I believe he had the goods, he just needed more run time to develop and excel. He had VERY tough competition within. I am very proud of the man he is, the way he always showed great enthusiasm and represented his fine state of Montana as well as Gonzaga. Best of luck Ryan....made me proud.

He is the Ryan Montanan's are proud of while the other "Ryan" (Leaf) not so much sadly.

Kemo 1966
04-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Nice job representing Montana, Ryan. The best to you next year. I know Ryan did some 'on job training in Spokane area (sports); perhaps he'll be hired to the local station..... having an inside look at the Zag's and many many many contacts! IMO Also playing a sport continuously for 8-10 years...can become a drag...unless of course your goal is to become a PRO athlete. I think Ryan achieved his goals (and going all the way to the final game of the year), was the icing on the cake) and some great experience!

TravelinZag
04-24-2017, 09:58 PM
No other sport punishes you for success like college basketball.

CDC & Abe -- any insight on why this is so?

CDC84
04-24-2017, 10:25 PM
It's just logic. If you win in pro sports, you mostly get to keep your guys as they are usually tied to long term deals, or your success has enabled you to get more cash to keep guys who might leave. The only exception might be the NFL with its fist tight Salary Cap, but still, if you are smart about it, you can be the Patriots.. College football is just a different animal. You have the age thing (out of HS 3 years) which prevents guys from splitting early, and players just in general are less eager to go pro until they are really ready. Unlike in college basketball, the #1 rated player in the country coming out of HS could be 3rd on the depth chart at QB at Alabama and need to redshirt and see little game action for a year in order to be ready. Then when you're current QB bails for the draft, the stud apprentice takes over for him.

In college basketball, teams who advance deeply in the tournament tend to have their teams gutted by the NBA draft. A player who is like Zach Collins in college football is lucky to get some snaps at a big time football school.

Certain college b-ball programs can reload like UK, but even they have down years where they bow out in the sweet 16 or before it. And then if you're GU, you just can't replace Zach. Other final 4 or elite 8 teams don't even make the tourney the next season.

It punishes success. The more exposed the players are, and the more they blossom in the tournament, the more likely they are to split. It really isn't like any other sport that comes to mind. Things are just structured differently. Of course there are guys like Fultz too who bolt despite their team not getting maximum exposure and losing a ton of games. But guys from successful NCAA tourney teams just seem to want to split. Strike while the iron is hot. Whether they are really ready or not or if the NBA highly regards them or not.

How all this relates to Ryan Edwards is beyond me, because he's departing for different reasons than Zach.

CdAZagFan
04-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Going to miss Ryan.... Probably one of the funnest moments of the season was seeing the video of him I believe was taken right after the semifinal game where he is leaping high in the air with a huge smile on his face and racing onto the court to start the celebration. I think it was right before this photo was taken...

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/ncaa/zob6y/picture142217639/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/Final%20Four%20South%20Carolina%20Gonzaga%20Basket ball.JPG

zagcheer78
04-26-2017, 06:20 AM
He is the Ryan Montanan's are proud of while the other "Ryan" (Leaf) not so much sadly.

As a Montana girl myself, I was thrilled to see Ryan on the team. I wish him all the very best.

thespywhozaggedme
04-26-2017, 06:32 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like bball isn't Ryans passion and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Wish him the best in the next chapter of his life.

bartruff1
04-26-2017, 07:14 AM
I can't help but think that he is leaving too much on the table.

Were he my son, I would encourage him to use his eligibility either here at Gonzaga or at a college where he could start and play as many minutes as possible.

He has a opportunity that very few have and I fear he may regret not making the most of it. He will have plenty of time to work.

On the other hand, I do not know Ryan or his situation and can only thank him for his efforts at Gonzaga ....respect his decision..... and wish him the best.

Thanks again Ryan, you will have had many amazing experiences and friends and endless stories to tell your grandkids....

SWZag
04-26-2017, 07:56 AM
Congrats to Ryan and wish him the best in his career endeavors. Am glad to call him part of the family.

LongIslandZagFan
04-26-2017, 08:09 AM
We don't know what is on his table. There are tons of factors here. He doesn't, from what people have said, have the desire to play hoops post-GU. He is getting a degree next month. GU may not offer anything at the Master's level that he is interested in... so to continue... he may potentially be going to school for school sake in something he isn't interested in (note, this is conjecture not fact or personal knowledge). He may very well have a good offer to enter into the workforce in a field he truly does love. I would never begrudge anyone that can get a job in a field they love... those kind of things aren't jobs at that point... they become passion.

Best of luck to Ryan... Once a Zag always a Zag.

primal23
04-26-2017, 09:06 AM
We don't know what is on his table. There are tons of factors here. He doesn't, from what people have said, have the desire to play hoops post-GU. He is getting a degree next month. GU may not offer anything at the Master's level that he is interested in... so to continue... he may potentially be going to school for school sake in something he isn't interested in (note, this is conjecture not fact or personal knowledge). He may very well have a good offer to enter into the workforce in a field he truly does love. I would never begrudge anyone that can get a job in a field they love... those kind of things aren't jobs at that point... they become passion.

Best of luck to Ryan... Once a Zag always a Zag.

He's also entering the workforce without student loan debt, which is huge!
Best of luck with everything Ryan and thank you for being a zag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagsGoZags
04-26-2017, 09:33 AM
I haven't seen one opinion from anybody yet on whether he could make it in European or overseas Leagues. It is my opinion (and I do not trust my judgment on this issue) that if he got in shape, and cared, he could probably make about a million bucks gross by playing 3 or 4 years in Europe. Then he could start his broadcasting career (which I have heard is not big money) with more authority and experience. I am not saying Ryan should do other than that which he chooses. I am just seeking to understand what does not seem like a common sense move on his part, or a move in his own self interest, and therefore, am assuming I am missing some important facts. It would also be a great experience for a young man without a family to spend some time in a different culture, at least many, many who have done this have testified about this for themselves.

maynard g krebs
04-26-2017, 01:12 PM
You know, modern basketball is an extremely physical game. Players take a beating and play with injured backs, ankles, shoulders all the time. It has become brutal in the last 30-40 years, esp in the post. Look at some old video; most of those guys were rail thin playing inside, and it wasn't a disadvantage because the few strongmen like Big Daddy Lattin or Wes Unseld weren't allowed to just shove them out of the way or knock them over.

Point is that it's not hard to understand a kid not wanting to play the game the way it is today. I doubt that I would either.

Zagger
04-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Good luck post-degree Ryan! I think you'll do quite well in broadcasting. It's always special to have some NW blood on the team. You sure got to play/practice with a LOT of great Zags! It took the whole team to get to where the Zags went this year. For as banged up as some players got in practice I know you must have been doing your best too. Thanks man!

75Zag
04-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Young Mr. Edwards has been a mystery at GU. He didn't appear to be the guy who spent 30 hours a week in the weight room and who ate only foods approved by the Angelina Jolie diet. I assume that the GU coaching staff had a plan to make Mr. Edwards' body into a lean, mean, rebounding machine but it was not clear to me that Mr. Edwards or the GU coaching staff achieved their planned results. I wish him well in his next adventures.

Go Bulldogs!

sylean
04-28-2017, 02:20 PM
it may be that Ryan was given short shift at GU....maybe he wasn't given enough playing time by his perspective....but he did benefit from being on exciting teams, playing in Ncaa games, he traveled, he got an education, etc...so it hasn't been all bad....some would say such a position was highly rewarding.

this coming year we really need him.....I wish he would have considered that he as been given a great gift at GU...and perhaps stay with the program when the program really needs him......this coming year we really need him..

Mantua
04-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Best of luck to Ryan! Thanks for your contribution to GU Basketball.