PDA

View Full Version : Spokane Arena game

509er
04-23-2017, 05:54 AM
I've been and am aware the atmosphere is very stale but I think it would be a good time to bring back a game in the Arena every other year or so to give the locals a chance to see the Zags live. It doesn't have to be a marquee game so maybe a Texas Southern or someone like that who doesnt get a return game to their gym. Better yet make it EWU or Idaho (I don't see WSU playing a paycheck game with no return). Or do it during break when their are no students. Might as well have 12k than 6k if atmosphere is going to suck regardless.

Thoughts from the brain trust?

GrizZAG
04-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Wow your post has been up for over eight hours. Looks like the brain trust went brain dead on this one..

I share your sentiments about the arena games. I submit there are more Zag basketball fans that have no connection to the school than do those that do. They indeed would love the opportunity to see them play. Tickets are difficult to obtain to the MAC as we know. I would rather see a marquee game with perhaps Tennessee, Memphis, Texas or something on that order. The place would sell out in a heartbeat IMO

sylean
04-23-2017, 06:14 PM
gee, giving the "local" yahoos a chance to see the Zags in person....how big of you....

CDC84
04-23-2017, 10:33 PM
This is yet another thing that has had to go by the wayside due to WCC expansion. Even if GU sells out Spokane Arena for a BCS team, they make way, way, way, way, way more money playing the game at the Kennel because the university takes in all of the money. If they play in the city owned arena they have to pay rent and they get zilch on concessions. It was a lot easier doing this when GU had four more non-league games to work with. The Spokane Arena games were also played at a time when GU was able to schedule non-league games in February against a big time team like Memphis (under Calipari) who refused to play in the Kennel. No more. The Zags only get so many non-league home games per season. They have to maximize profit for the team.

If a Spokane Arena game happens again, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a league game.....say against USD in February.

GrizZAG
04-24-2017, 02:25 PM
This is yet another thing that has had to go by the wayside due to WCC expansion. Even if GU sells out Spokane Arena for a BCS team, they make way, way, way, way, way more money playing the game at the Kennel because the university takes in all of the money. If they play in the city owned arena they have to pay rent and they get zilch on concessions. It was a lot easier doing this when GU had four more non-league games to work with. The Spokane Arena games were also played at a time when GU was able to schedule non-league games in February against a big time team like Memphis (under Calipari) who refused to play in the Kennel. No more. The Zags only get so many non-league home games per season. They have to maximize profit for the team.

If a Spokane Arena game happens again, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a league game.....say against USD in February.

Thank you for a logical response, all makes sense. Not so sure what "Sylean" is reading into the topic. Indeed lots of locals would love to see games but it is difficult.

Zagdawg
04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Tickets are available for purchase for every game -- just need to make the effort to buy them.

jbslicer
04-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Tickets are available for purchase for every game -- just need to make the effort to buy them.
No tix available for big games like SMC and BYU.

Zagricultural
04-24-2017, 05:50 PM

At $200 a pop it makes it a little more difficult for many people.

Bluze
04-24-2017, 09:49 PM

I would happily buy any tickets available for any game. I have made the "effort" and the effort cost me $500 at a Rotary Benefit/Auction for 2 San Diego State early season tickets last year. My wife and I were thrilled to finally be able to see a game in the Kennel!

Tickets for sale on Craigslist risk being counterfeit, so I avoid that source.

We anxiously await March each year, booking our room and flights in July for the WCC Tournament, as we know that is one venue for which we will be able to garner tickets, one way or another...

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

with this newly discovered information in hand...

"Tickets are available for purchase for every game -- just need to make the effort to buy them."

I am making an effort...

Someone sell me some!!!

PLEASE!!

*GRINZ*

509er
04-25-2017, 05:21 AM
I really don't see the downside to switching an early season game like Texas Southern or Mississippi Valley every other year with an Idaho or EWU. They won't demand a return game and you can't tell me an extra 6000 tickets sold won't offset the rent and lost concessions sales. And even if it was a break even or a small loss to me it's an investment that pays off. When a recruit comes to town and sees the whole town wearing GU gear that certainly can't hurt. I'd also argue there are season ticket holders and donors that value being close to something so "popular". Keep feeding the fan base and it will pay off.

CDC84
04-25-2017, 07:57 AM
They won't demand a return game and you can't tell me an extra 6000 tickets sold won't offset the rent and lost concessions sales

I would suggest emailing AD Mike Roth or someone in the athletic dept. about this issue. His email is on the gozags.com website. Someone will explain the vast difference in money between playing in the 2 venues. There is a reason they are not doing it.

They also have thousands of people to appease who donated millions of bucks to the program. Those folks don't want games played in Spokane Arena.

jbslicer
04-25-2017, 03:31 PM
I would suggest emailing AD Mike Roth or someone in the athletic dept. about this issue. His email is on the gozags.com website. Someone will explain the vast difference in money between playing in the 2 venues. There is a reason they are not doing it.

They also have thousands of people to appease who donated millions of bucks to the program. Those folks don't want games played in Spokane Arena.

Free parking at Gonzaga too.

CDC84
04-25-2017, 04:59 PM
And then there are the over 1000 students who get free seats at the Kennel. They are no longer free if the game is at Spokane Arena. History has shown that many students can't or won't buy the Spokane Arena tickets. Even more so if it's a sucky opponent. If the university buys them and gives them out to the students, that's yet another significant revenue loss.

Another thing about the concessions.....most GU games are between 5pm to 6:30pm. Fans basically have to eat supper at the venue. It isn't like that at most universities with their 9pm tip times. Gonzaga is making money hand over fist compared to most college arenas when it comes to concessions. It's huge, huge money.

509er
04-25-2017, 05:26 PM
And then there are the over 1000 students who get free seats at the Kennel. They are no longer free if the game is at Spokane Arena. History has shown that many students can't or won't buy the Spokane Arena tickets. Even more so if it's a sucky opponent. If the university buys them and gives them out to the students, that's yet another significant revenue loss.

Another thing about the concessions.....most GU games are between 5pm to 6:30pm. Fans basically have to eat supper at the venue. It isn't like that at most universities with their 9pm tip times. Gonzaga is making money hand over fist compared to most college arenas when it comes to concessions. It's huge, huge money.

Do the students have to buy their tickets for the games at the Kennel? I thought they just had to wait in line for them but I really have no idea.

Zagdawg
04-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Tickets are "free" for students at the Kennel.

509er
04-25-2017, 05:34 PM

Appeasing the big donors makes sense but I'm not sure I buy the economic argument unless it costs much more to rent the arena than I imagine like north of $200K+ per night. If that is the case than Battle in Seattle must be break even at about 15k in attendance assuming much higher rental rates at Key than Spokane Arena and higher travel costs than the 2 mile trip to Spokane Arena.

509er
04-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Tickets are "free" for students at the Kennel.

Other than that pesky little bit of tuition. So there's no loss revenue if they were free in the first place and in theory you could then sell an extra 7000 seats to a game at the arena. If it was me, I'd give them out for free or play a Christmas break game there but then again I'm not a big donor who gets to call the shots.

CDC84
04-26-2017, 09:07 AM
590er = you really, really, really should go to the site below and contact someone in the athletics administration about your issues, and ask for an explanation. I understand the frustration of not being able to see the Zags at K2. It comes down to dollars and cents and appeasing boosters who didn't donate millions to K2 to see games at a city owned arena, but I am sure there are other logical reasons as well. I can assure you, if it didn't cost Gonzaga significant money to play games at Spokane Arena compared to K2 they would do it every year. They would have zero reasons not to. The boosters are important to appease, but there is more reasons to stay away from Spokane Arena than that. I can only pass on information that I know. I can't defend the people who make the decisions, who are a lot smarter than I am financially. Keep in mind that this program generates more revenue and profit from its men's basketball team than most BCS programs.

But the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Their email addresses are listed publicly for a reason. Contact Mr. Roth (or someone else) and let him or her know about your issues and ask questions about why they don't play games at Spokane Arena.........

http://www.gozags.com/staffdir/gonz-staffdir.html

ZagsGoZags
04-26-2017, 09:26 AM
I agree, as a person who usually only sees the zags live at the October madness, Battle in Seattle (I hope its not gone for good), at WSU (I guess its gone for good), the at Portland game, and Spokane Arena (I hope its not gone for good). I wish roth and few would try to give us fans at least ONE chance each year to see the team play without getting on an airplane and paying for lodging also

Norwester
04-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Maybe I can simplify things. GU season ticket holders don't want home games in the Arena, GU students don't want home games in the arena, GU coaches don't want home games in the Arena, GU boosters don't want home games in the Arena... I don't know about the players, but I'd venture a guess they'd rather play on their home court, have use of their home locker room and lounge, have access to their home training facilities, etc.

There are a lot of negative considerations with playing a low major opponent in the Arena during Christmas break. Rent. No concession revenue. No merchandise revenue. Paying guarantee money. Lessened home court advantage. No band. No cheerleaders. Lousy sight lines (it's a hockey arena). No Herak Club. No Bulldog Club halftime. No student section. And, I think it's absolutely delusional to believe that you could sell 12,000 tickets for a low major opponent. Let's say you could sell 8,000. Would that make up for the lost revenue? Doubtful in my mind.

Not far from Duke is the PNC Arena in Raleigh. It holds probably twice as many people as Cameron Indoor. Duke certainly is in a more populous area and has a much bigger fan base than GU. Why doesn't Duke play a game against a cupcake in the PNC Arena?

Norwester
04-26-2017, 09:50 AM
I agree, as a person who usually only sees the zags live at the October madness, Battle in Seattle (I hope its not gone for good), at WSU (I guess its gone for good), the at Portland game, and Spokane Arena (I hope its not gone for good). I wish roth and few would try to give us fans at least ONE chance each year to see the team play without getting on an airplane and paying for lodging also

Are you a member of the Bulldog Club? There are more than a 1000 seats available to Bulldog Club members for games during Christmas break.

509er
04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Maybe I can simplify things. GU season ticket holders don't want home games in the Arena, GU students don't want home games in the arena, GU coaches don't want home games in the Arena, GU boosters don't want home games in the Arena... I don't know about the players, but I'd venture a guess they'd rather play on their home court, have use of their home locker room and lounge, have access to their home training facilities, etc.

There are a lot of negative considerations with playing a low major opponent in the Arena during Christmas break. Rent. No concession revenue. No merchandise revenue. Paying guarantee money. Lessened home court advantage. No band. No cheerleaders. Lousy sight lines (it's a hockey arena). No Herak Club. No Bulldog Club halftime. No student section. And, I think it's absolutely delusional to believe that you could sell 12,000 tickets for a low major opponent. Let's say you could sell 8,000. Would that make up for the lost revenue? Doubtful in my mind.

Not far from Duke is the PNC Arena in Raleigh. It holds probably twice as many people as Cameron Indoor. Duke certainly is in a more populous area and has a much bigger fan base than GU. Why doesn't Duke play a game against a cupcake in the PNC Arena?

If 6000 are coming to craziness in the Kennel to see a scrimmage I have little doubt you could sell out the arena
For EWU. As a matter of fact I believe I went to a GU vs EWU game there years ago that was sold out well before the zags were as popular as they are today. The bulldog club is a good option but not affordable to a lot of people. I get that GU will cater to their big dollar donors but think it's too bad the thousands of t shirt zag fans have such a hard time seeing their team play. For the record I can get tickets fairly easy but think it's pretty cool how much support the locals give GU.

GoZags
04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
If 6000 are coming to craziness in the Kennel to see a scrimmage I have little doubt you could sell out the arena
For EWU. As a matter of fact I believe I went to a GU vs EWU game there years ago that was sold out well before the zags were as popular as they are today. The bulldog club is a good option but not affordable to a lot of people. I get that GU will cater to their big dollar donors but think it's too bad the thousands of t shirt zag fans have such a hard time seeing their team play. For the record I can get tickets fairly easy but think it's pretty cool how much support the locals give GU.

You've been advised where to go to get your voice heard. Perhaps you are using this unofficial board as practice In my mind you have perfected your pitch. Now might be a good time to use your pitch where it matters. Good luck.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2017, 01:03 PM
You've been advised where to go to get your voice heard. Perhaps you are using this unofficial board as practice In my mind you have perfected your pitch. Now might be a good time to use your pitch where it matters. Good luck.

I'd love to be geographically close enough to see a Zags game in Spokane...at the Kennel. Thanks to the WCC (and the insistence on an 18 game schedule), there are no longer any slots for such "extra" games. That's the reality of the situation from my perch.

The TZF household is just happy when the Zags play within a day's drive of Dallas...depending on time of year, that may be stretched to a two day's drive, now that I have acquired a new(er) Zagmobile, a comfortable vehicle that gets nearly 40 mpg. Youngest son turns 16 next year, oldest son forgot how much fun Zag road trips are, and Big D provides the entertainment.

Not to get snarky, but many of you in the Pac NW don't realize how good you have it. You may have to pay more to see a game in the Kennel, but it's a much friendlier atmosphere than Wichita, Memphis, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Nashville, Tulsa, etc.

509er
04-26-2017, 01:15 PM

I'll give it a shot but if Few and the big donors aren't for it I'm guessing it's a moot point. At the same time I'll share a couple of battle in Seattle ideas that would certainly get uw's panties in a bunch.