PDA

View Full Version : SI's Defensive awards

MDABE80
04-22-2017, 01:50 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/the-2017-effy-awards-part-iii-celebrating-the-best-defensive-players-and-teams/ar-BBA7XMF

Defense won us a bunch of games this past season. I hope it does this upcoming next year too. Defense wins games when the offense isn't there. Anyway, the fun aside, I thought this was a fun article.

bartruff1
04-22-2017, 05:17 AM
WOW....just WOW....I knew they were good, but that is pretty amazing....

Reborn
04-22-2017, 07:30 AM
A great article. Shem and JWIII make the All- Post players team, but no guards made it. That just sucks imo. How about the dang good defense of great offensive players in the tournament by Melson, Goss, and Mathews. I was disappointed that no guards made it.

As a team Gonzaga was number one both during the regular season and in the tournament. Congratulations Mark Few and his staff and of course the players.

MickMick
04-22-2017, 08:21 AM
This was obvious from the very beginning and explains why the team could, at times, look inept against inferior competition and yet still win by twenty five points. They could go through stretches of 4-5 minutes without scoring a point, while at the same time, limiting the scoring of their opponent. Often, the scoring draughts occurred against some of the worst teams. Then again, the team could occasionally explode on the offensive end to create quick double digit leads and again, the level of the competition didn't seem to matter with this aspect either. In other words, the Zags were their own best friends and their own worst enemies and the quality of opponent did not really factor much in to the equation.

How can you experience a roller coaster ride with a team that typically wins by 25 points? I don't know, but the Zags seemed to do it to me. The offense turned on and off like a light switch, but the defense was always omni present.

Few absolutely must continue to go for long wing spans at every position. I am now convinced that defensive length is very critical to making deep runs.

MDABE80
04-22-2017, 10:07 AM
We just saw an historical team. Practice, talent and hard work. I just hope we can produce this type of work next season. We won't have the offensive power next year........I'm sure of that.

MickMick
04-22-2017, 10:11 AM
We just saw an historical team. Practice, talent and hard work. I just hope we can produce this type of work next season. We won't have the offensive power next year........I'm sure of that.

I disagree ABE

I think they take a dip defensively, but Kispert and Norvell are going to add a whole bunch of offensive firepower. Because the defense will take a dip, I think the ceiling will be lower though. I believe this team will remind us of the more traditional Zag teams.

ZagNative
04-22-2017, 10:38 AM
I loved this pic of Jordan Mathews:

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBziE4L.img?h=522&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=475&y=531

Gonzaga Bulldogs guard Jordan Mathews loses his balance as he dribbles down the baseline defended by North Carolina Tar Heels forward Theo Pinson in the championship game at University of Phoenix Stadium in Phoeniz on April 3.