PDA

View Full Version : Williams to Take a Look At the NBA-- No agent

Zagdawg
04-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Gonzaga Basketball‏Verified account @ZagMBB 2m2 minutes ago
.@Iam_J3 will test NBA waters without signing with an agent #UnitedWeZag http://goza.gs/2oS9BNd

adoptedzag
04-21-2017, 11:35 AM
.@Iam_J3 will test NBA waters without signing with an agent #UnitedWeZag http://goza.gs/2oS9BNd

My heart can't take this. :(

Just edited to add: I realize that it would be a mistake to not test the waters, but in the off chance he likes what he hears, my poor GU's reloading powers will be tested. I wish for the best for this young man, but my team is GU, not any in the NBA.

strikenowhere
04-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Next year's team won't be going anywhere without him.

allbusiness_zag
04-21-2017, 11:39 AM
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/09/I-just-want-it-to-stop-GIF.gif

TexasZagFan
04-21-2017, 11:42 AM
My heart can't take this. :(

Just edited to add: I realize that it would be a mistake to not test the waters, but in the off chance he likes what he hears, my poor GU's reloading powers will be tested. I wish for the best for this young man, but my team is GU, not any in the NBA.

My first inclination is to say not to worry. However, 60 additional roster spots for two-way contracts (NBA/Dev League) were opened as a result of the latest CBA. If he hears from just one team that he'd get an FA contract (at a minimum), it will be tempting. For example, Wiltjer's contract is guaranteed for two years at $250K per year. That would be hard to pass up IMO>

TexasZagFan
04-21-2017, 11:42 AM
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/09/I-just-want-it-to-stop-GIF.gif

:lmao:

Perfect!

CDC84
04-21-2017, 12:03 PM
This is just a smart move.

One college basketball analyst says that if you are allowed to the test the waters and choose not to, you're scholarship should be revoked on the basis on stupidity. There is absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by testing. When JWIII comes back to GU (as I fully suspect he will), he will be armed with a huge amount of knowledge. Keep in mind...he's probably going to be the go to offensive threat next season. He will be given every chance to showcase his talents his senior season.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2017, 12:17 PM

One college basketball analyst says that if you are allowed to the test the waters and choose not to, you're scholarship should be revoked on the basis on stupidity. There is absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by testing. When JWIII comes back to GU (as I fully suspect he will), he will be armed with a huge amount of knowledge. Keep in mind...he's probably going to be the go to offensive threat next season. He will be given every chance to showcase his talents his senior season.

It's still very scary, despite all the whistling through the graveyard

ZagsObserver
04-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Agree on the smart. Want what's best for JWil3. He's a talented you man. Sure hope he's back though!

ZagaZags
04-21-2017, 12:33 PM

This is what I was hoping Nigel would do. This is a pretty smart move by J3.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2017, 12:34 PM
This is what I was hoping Nigel would do. This is a pretty smart move by J3.

Nigel was gone from hello.

CarolinaZagFan
04-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Oh my. That wouldn't be good.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-21-2017, 12:48 PM
In my opinion, J3 was the unheralded hero of the best run in GU history.

He was the primary defender on Bluiett and Thornwell, both of whom we shut down when they were supposedly the player in the tournament most on fire.

He can switch 1 through 5, which NBA teams like.

He even made 2 extremely clutch free throws, before Tillian's equally clutch free throws, to seal the victory over South Carolina.

I just want to thank him for his dedication and positivity. We wouldn't have made our first Final Four without him.

He was named the most outstanding player in San Jose for a reason.

I remember being in University of Phoenix stadium wondering why he wasn't in the game more often in the 2nd half. And the answer can't simply be foul trouble. Everyone was in foul trouble.

Anyway, I think this is a smart move by a smart man. Find out what scouts want him to work on as a featured player of a top team. Zach moving to the pros is a huge opportunity for J3 to prove what I already know - he's absolutely a pro prospect.

If a team is already sold on this before he proves it over the course of the full season, I'll be a bit surprised and disappointed as a Gonzaga fan, but still proud and appreciative of what he gave to us last season, specifically in the last 30 days.

ZagaZags
04-21-2017, 12:51 PM

It's time for Nigel to get paid. He has done everything (championship excluded) possible in the NCAA. Great student athlete.

U Zig, I Zag
04-21-2017, 01:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dqrL3KD.gif

thespywhozaggedme
04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Next year's team won't be going anywhere without him.

I actually think Killian is better than him.

Bogozags
04-21-2017, 02:08 PM
It sure did seem as though he was very timid offence...it just seems as though there was a string attached to him...much the same way I felt about Melson...

ZagsObserver
04-21-2017, 02:14 PM

I'm not sure I agree, but even if that were true, GU needs them both.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-21-2017, 02:34 PM
He even made 2 extremely clutch free throws, before Tillian's equally clutch free throws, to seal the victory over South Carolina.

This.

Given the moment, and given how many free throws we expected him to make (0), and given how many he DID make (2), I'd rank J3's free throws as the clutchest points in GU history.

CodeCobalt
04-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Dumb not to test the waters. Get training and insight from the pros. come back smarter and better prepared for everything.

thespywhozaggedme
04-21-2017, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure I agree, but even if that were true, GU needs them both.

Yes, on that we agree. I just think Tillian has a more well rounded game and eventually will be a first round pick. JWIII might be as well.

Goshzagit
04-21-2017, 03:29 PM

this.

yes, he took time to 'decide' as GU tugged at his heart strings, but as I've said since early November:

NWG planned to go pro this season, before the season even begun.

I had heard this from the very beginning...whether he averaged 6 ppg or 16 ppg, he was gone.

Tough to swallow, as he adored his time here and gave it his all, but it was decided early on.

Now for Zach, well, that was unexpected -- for all. But become a reality as the season progressed, along with his hype.

CDC84
04-21-2017, 03:39 PM
The question is, when will GU board members start declaring for the draft to test the waters?? Heck, we've gone some ballers on this site with some experience.......

CDC84
04-21-2017, 03:42 PM
this.

yes, he took time to 'decide' as GU tugged at his heart strings, but as I've said since early November:

I had heard this from the very beginning...whether he averaged 6 ppg or 16 ppg, he was gone.

Tough to swallow, as he adored his time here and gave it his all, but it was decided early on.

Now for Zach, well, that was unexpected -- for all. But become a reality as the season progressed, along with his hype.

I still do wonder though if Zach said right away I'm coming back if NWG would've ultimately decided to come back as well. Because then you start getting into the discussion if GU is a final four team again....especially if they added a couple of guys. But with Zach going........the NWG decision probably became easier.

bigblahla
04-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Has the potential.....spy..J3 is a beast...

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
04-21-2017, 04:10 PM
this.

Zags lose to Northwestern, Collins stays. Tillie could turn out best of all. More tools.

The509sfinest
04-21-2017, 08:41 PM
He's one of, if not the most underrated big man in the nation...if he does well during the combine he's gone. I'm not mad though, at times he's been the best player on the court, he's saved our asses a number of times. If you decided to go thanks for the memories, I will miss the huge slams...never has been a big like him at GU.

MDABE80
04-21-2017, 09:34 PM
J3...very good player. We would never have seen a 2 loss season without him. Hope he's back . Versatile, quick, smart and a team player. We et many like him often. Unique. He will get a lot out of a tryout. Can't say enough about this kid.

DixieZag
04-21-2017, 09:35 PM
I am of the mind that if Larsen can simply provide solid defense and size, our front court next year will be thinner, but maybe not suffer quite such a letdown without Collins. That's not a knock on Collins, it's just how much untapped potential I believe resides in Tillie and J3 if they become the focal point down low.

Tillie, especially. At one point deep in the season was shooting 48% from 3 (not a ton of shots, true), and he always had more athleticism than Zach, if he can just get as strong .... he won't be that big a drop-off.

I'm just trying to convince myself we'll be pretty good. When I think of Tillie and J3 with total green light, I feel good.

MDABE80
04-21-2017, 10:02 PM
We're going to have a very good....not great... season. Likely not as good as the most recent one. I've not seen Larsen. He may be superior. I hope he is. We'll need something to counter Landale. Our bigs faded toward the end of the season. Tillie and J3 never did. Collins was decent but drafted on potential in his limited time court time.. Karno went the wrong direction at the end.

We'd like to have another skilled big man but if Larsen is good, we can scrape by. We have lots of talent coming but not the extreme AA types. "Team" will be most important this upcoming year. We thought Nigel would be good but nobody knew he'd be THAT good and lead us to the FF. We need one like that. I hope we have one. Wade, Kispert and hopefully Rui will show some great work.

Zag365
04-21-2017, 10:39 PM
I'm in the smart move camp. JW3 is doing this with backing of the coaches. It shows he's motivated to play his senior year with the goal of working on things that will help him for next year's draft. Assuming the feedback he gets is consistent with how GU coaches want him to play/develop, I see nothing but positive outcomes for JW3 and next year's team.

coolhandzag
04-22-2017, 09:07 AM
What else is he supposed to do? Lets see what happens.

Mantua
04-22-2017, 09:56 AM
The question is, when will GU board members start declaring for the draft to test the waters?? Heck, we've gone some ballers on this site with some experience.......

I was just going to transfer.

TravelinZag
04-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Williams made a crucial contribution last season, and has every right to "test" the draft waters. His loss, coming on top of other departures, would be devastating. However, he must understand the Zags CANNOT wait until May 24 to begin "testing" the waters for a replacement. Cupboard is nearly bare. Doubt this will result in a thought decision because: 1. there is simply no replacement for him remaining, and 2. he may not find the draft prospects all that good.

He and the Zags must both explore options now, and with urgency.

CdAZagFan
04-22-2017, 05:11 PM
J3...very good player. We would never have seen a 2 loss season without him. Hope he's back . Versatile, quick, smart and a team player. We et many like him often. Unique. He will get a lot out of a tryout. Can't say enough about this kid.

Agreed... his ability to be able to guard spots 2-5 was invaluable. I believe having a guy like that to switch off on those high pick and rolls was a huge factor in changing our series with St. Maries. Plus his ability to block from behind if he did get beat to the basket was amazing. I do think he is smart to get all the feedback he can and test the waters, but I sure hope he comes back.

ZagsGoZags
04-22-2017, 05:56 PM
I am curious about some of our empty scholarship slots.
No telling what Tommy, Few, Donny may find to fill a few slots by Sept.
If Williams leaves, which I think is less than 50% chance, it will be another open slot

john montana
04-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Did you just say Collins was "Decent" Abe? He was a lot more than decent. I wish he had stayed too but the kid is a total stud.

As is jw3. Hope he comes back. Like someone else said I am a gu fan not an NBA fan.

Coach Crazy
04-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Did you just say Collins was "Decent" Abe? He was a lot more than decent. I wish he had stayed too but the kid is a total stud.

As is jw3. Hope he comes back. Like someone else said I am a gu fan not an NBA fan.

Yeah, some of Zach's Synergy numbers were getting into the name list of guys like DeAndre Jordan and Karl-Anthony Townes. He's a special player.

Zagger
04-23-2017, 04:29 AM
Good luck to J3! I hope he either gets an offer he can't refuse or learns buckets about the whole NBA move process. If it should be that the Zags lose J3 .... so be it. Devasting? Sure - if there were no replacements. J3 staying or going it's going to be a different Zag team next season - at least in makeup. But, it's still going to be the Zags. They'll do well and one thing I feel will be unchanged is Zag D. The Zags being as good as they were on D this season, I feel, was a tipping point in the program. I feel it's now to be a fabric of who the Zags are no matter who's numbers are on the floor. What I 'see' happening next season is a reloading - same gun.

MDABE80
04-23-2017, 01:43 PM

Ys decent= 18 min/game in the 6 playoff games .. 6 boards, 8.8 pts/game. In those games he fouled out in 2 games, 4 in another then 3,2, and 1. He killed it only in one game S Carlolina 14/13. Superior. So I guess he was hardly spectacular or even very good in the playoffs anyway.
Very good in the season. he's being drafted on his size and athleticism...and perhaps how he plays. His numbers were "decent" though. If he'd have done 16-10 for example I'd say he was really amazing. not the case though. He made his contributions and they were helpful. If he'd have had more minutes, I'd say he may have knocked our eyes out. He needed another season be spectacular. I hope he's an all starr in the NBA. For now though he's decent or maybe a notch above. Of course I define "decent" as pretty damned good. Hope this helps.

jazzdelmar
04-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Ys decent= 18 min/game in the 6 playoff games .. 6 boards, 8.8 pts/game. In those games he fouled out in 2 games, 4 in another then 3,2, and 1. He killed it only in one game S Carlolina 14/13. Superior. So I guess he was hardly spectacular or even very good in the playoffs anyway.
Very good in the season. he's being drafted on his size and athleticism...and perhaps how he plays. His numbers were "decent" though. If he'd have done 16-10 for example I'd say he was really amazing. not the case though. He made his contributions and they were helpful. If he'd have had more minutes, I'd say he may have knocked our eyes out. He needed another season be spectacular. I hope he's an all starr in the NBA. For now though he's decent or maybe a notch above. Of course I define "decent" as pretty damned good. Hope this helps.

Karno's claim to fame is he kept two future NBA lottery picks on the bench as freshmen.

GoZags
04-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Karno's claim to fame is he kept two future NBA lottery picks on the bench as freshmen.

While becoming the all time winningest player in NCAA history. Zags don't make the Elite 8 Domas' freshman year or make the Final Four Zach's freshman year without Shem. And that is not debatable*. Oh, and neither Sabonis or Collins were benchwarmers as freshmen.

* my opinion

JPtheBeasta
04-23-2017, 02:05 PM
There were 5 reasons why Collins sat. Few said multiple times that he saw him as a defacto starter. Collins did what almost every freshman does: Get into foul trouble.

MontanaCoyote
04-23-2017, 03:23 PM
While becoming the all time winningest player in NCAA history. Zags don't make the Elite 8 Domas' freshman year or make the Final Four Zach's freshman year without Shem. And that is not debatable*. Oh, and neither Sabonis or Collins were benchwarmers as freshmen.

* my opinion

"Gonzaga is not in Arizona without him."* CBS Sports * Przemek Karnowski

jazzdelmar
04-23-2017, 03:35 PM
"Gonzaga is not in Arizona without him."* CBS Sports * Przemek Karnowski

Who made CBS the expert?

Zagdawg
04-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Karnowski earned the award for best center in college basketball for a reason --while leading us to the championship game---jazz go troll somewhere else.

jazzdelmar
04-24-2017, 03:50 AM
I will always feel it would have been possible to get the Bonus and Collins and even Tillie more mins as freshmen. They didn't necessarily need to come out of Karno's hide. A little creative lineup adjustments/experiments would have done the trick.

WallaWallaZag
04-24-2017, 04:48 AM
Who made CBS the expert?

who made you the expert? :boxing:

GoZags
04-24-2017, 05:08 AM
I will always feel it would have been possible to get the Bonus and Collins and even Tillie more mins as freshmen. They didn't necessarily need to come out of Karno's hide. A little creative lineup adjustments/experiments would have done the trick.

Zags were 72-5 those two years. Zags won 8 NCAA tourney games, losing in the Elite 8 to National Champ Duke and losing the National Championship game to UNC. Perhaps that COULD (or are you saying "should"?) have been better if only there was a "little creative lineup adjustments/experiments". Seems to me Few got a lot out of those 2 teams.

zaguarxj
04-24-2017, 11:22 AM

And how would this have made a difference in the Championship game? Yes, you would have liked to see him play more but it's very difficult to argue that the Zags would have been more successful if they had, especially since Zach fouled out in the final. There's no way they could have played him more in the final. No disservice to Zach either, since his stock went sky-high in the tourney and he's likely to be a top ten draft pick. Sorry but I just don't see where the sour grapes are coming from.

maynard g krebs
04-24-2017, 11:57 AM

They've tried 3 bigs on the court together. It hasn't worked, so they've given up on it. Need 3 ball handlers, shooters, and drivers on the court for the Zag offense to work. Gotta space the floor, both for driving lanes and to give the posts room to operate.

kitzbuel
04-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Ahh, but nobody else cares because we made the NC game with the rotation used.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk