PDA

View Full Version : David Singleton commits to UCLA

Zag_Dad
04-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Disappointed but time to focus on the other recruits.

cggonzaga
04-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Disappointed but time to focus on the other recruits.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-high-school-sports-updates-junior-guard-david-singleton-commits-to-1492730504-htmlstory.html

zagsfanforlife
04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
No bueno. Wasn't he our #1 target?

cggonzaga
04-20-2017, 03:35 PM
No bueno. Wasn't he our #1 target?

I don't believe so. Taeshon Cherry and Brandon Williams are higher ranked nationally. Would love to know how we're doing with Kevin Porter Jr. In my own opinion I'd rather have Williams and Porter at the guard position over Singleton. This one does hurt though if we can't get one of the others.

zagsfanforlife
04-20-2017, 03:37 PM
I don't believe so. Taeshon Cherry and Brandon Williams are higher ranked nationally. Would love to know how we're doing with Kevin Porter Jr. In my own opinion I'd rather have Williams and Porter at the guard position over Singleton. This one does hurt though if we can't get one of the others.

I just perceived Singleton as the most likely to come to us out of those guys.

ZagzKrak
04-20-2017, 03:43 PM
That's a bummer....but for the young man as a high level recruit it would be hard to say no to UCLA with all the press L.Ball received going there.

Coach Crazy
04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
David Singleton is next level. Disappointed by this. He's a Few-type guard. Next up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Crazy
04-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Oh, and I hope we end up playing UCLA...so we can shut this kid down. You're either with us, or against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seacatfan
04-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Man, Alford has been cleaning up recruiting the last several years. Not that much to show for it though, hasn't taken UCLA beyond the Sweet 16. I'm a little sensitive when people knock Coach Miller for not doing more w/ the talent he's had at Arizona, but he's done way better than Alford has with similar talent, both in conference results and post season.

23dpg
04-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Bummer but this is really the reality for Gonzaga and in my opinion makes GU's story even more remarkable. We rarely ever win recruiting battles with the top 20 teams.

As good as Collins became, his other schools were Cal, SD St and Utah.
Perkins- UConn and ND were probably the best.
Maybe Kispert? Virginia and ND.
Josh H?

Any others?
Most other times we've had interest, we lost out once a bigger school got involved.

As I remember we were on a kid from Florida pretty early. But then he started blowing up and Duke came in. Grayson something?

seacatfan
04-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Bummer but this is really the reality for Gonzaga and in my opinion makes GU's story even more remarkable. We rarely ever win recruiting battles with the top 20 teams.

As good as Collins became, his other schools were Cal, SD St and Utah.
Perkins- UConn and ND were probably the best.
Maybe Kispert? Virginia and ND.
Josh H?

Any others?
Most other times we've had interest, we lost out once a bigger school got involved.

As I remember we were on a kid from Florida pretty early. But then he started blowing up and Duke came in. Grayson something?

I think Bouldin and Daye had some fairly significant suitors. I believe Duke and Cal tried to get in on Karnowski late in the recruiting process. Can't remember who else was after Sabonis, but he couldn't have been completely off the radar given who is father is.

23dpg
04-20-2017, 04:10 PM
I think Bouldin and Daye had some fairly significant suitors. I believe Duke and Cal tried to get in on Karnowski late in the recruiting process. Can't remember who else was after Sabonis, but he couldn't have been completely off the radar given who is father is.

Duke came in way late for Karno. Not a lot of competition for Sabonis because I don't think many thought he'd play college ball. Bouldin had ND (trend?) and I can't remember who else. Daye was a little bit of a late bloomer but I'd bet there were bigs after him too.

maynard g krebs
04-20-2017, 04:14 PM
At least 2 sites show Perkins w/ a UCLA offer.

23dpg
04-20-2017, 04:18 PM
At least 2 sites show Perkins w/ a UCLA offer.

I might have confused Perk with Bouldin.

seacatfan
04-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Duke came in way late for Karno. Not a lot of competition for Sabonis because I don't think many thought he'd play college ball. Bouldin had ND (trend?) and I can't remember who else. Daye was a little bit of a late bloomer but I'd bet there were bigs after him too.

I wanna say UConn was after Bouldin, back when they were a powerhouse still. Maybe Texas too? I remember there were several fairly big name schools.

I know Arizona wanted Daye, and I feel like UCLA pursued him as well.

Now that I think about it seems like Oregon was the main competition for Sabonis (I think?).

btzag
04-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Dang that's a bummer because Few and co don't recruit huge volumes of players like some of the factory schools do, and it seemed we were all in on Singleton. IMO it's a missed opportunity for Singleton but I'm pretty biased. We are better bball program than UCLA right now and that is a fact. On to the next!

ProVeeZag
04-20-2017, 05:02 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-high-school-sports-updates-junior-guard-david-singleton-commits-to-1492730504-htmlstory.html

Buried further down on the scroll from the LA Times link was this announcement, re-posted here for no other reason than name recognition. Didn't know Shaq had a son this old.

APRIL 19, 2017, 2:43 P.M.
Shareef O'Neal commits to Arizona

Eric Sondheimer
Shareef O'Neal, a 6-foot-9 junior at Santa Monica Crossroads, announced on Wednesday that he has committed to Arizona.

The son of Hall of Famer Shaquille O'Neal is known for his versatility and ability to shoot.

He played this season with Ira Lee, who will arrive at Arizona this fall.
Follow
Shareef O'Neal

CDC84
04-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Donny has been working on David for about nearly 1.5 years.

It's UCLA, it's a chance to play at home, and a chance to play in the Pac 12 as opposed to the WCC.

Disappointing because a lot of effort was spent, and GU was just in the national title game. Also, this kid had nothing but good things to say about GU. He indicated in one article he was going to visit in May. It's very hard for GU to get stateside players unless they visit.

Onward.....

CDC84
04-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Singleton wasn't even offered by UCLA until April 18 when he visited the campus. That's all it took.

23dpg
04-20-2017, 06:14 PM
According to Bruinsnation, it was UCLA and GU

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basketball/2017/4/20/15379596/steve-alford-beats-gonzaga-for-his-first-2018-recruit

MickMick
04-20-2017, 06:19 PM
A huge blow.

CDC84
04-20-2017, 06:29 PM
But the staff have to move forward. They can still get Cherry and Thomas, and that might lead to a very talented wing who hasn't considered Gonzaga yet.

cggonzaga
04-20-2017, 06:34 PM
But the staff have to move forward. They can still get Cherry and Thomas, and that might lead to a very talented wing who hasn't considered Gonzaga yet.

Thomas?

Murphy outgo lifer
04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Okay, I am ready for some good news now. This has been a rough start to the offseason. Somebody with some insider contacts please let me know something good is coming down the pipeline. Please!!!

MDABE80
04-20-2017, 07:10 PM
No matter. We need a few guys and we're back in the chips. Wade's one. Cherry would help. So would Williams. So would the big kid from Ohio State ad would Jeter ( no controversy). The one thing against us ( my opnion) was the intense and long post season. I doubt the guys could even get out to recruit much...or as much as usual. We never had a team go this far. We never had a team who could win the whole thing and proved it. I can only imagine all coaches and staff was on the WCC tournament and surely the better part of a month in the NCAA. It's a load to be in it till the end.

Big deal. We finished at the top with all accolades but a title. These kids will come. We only need a few. Not for preseason rankings....that went by the wayside with Collin's and Nigel's departures. We do have the bones for a good team. Only one or two kids from a good run next year. Losing 50 pts and 4 of our top 5 scorers is a problem. We can make it up.

Zagceo
04-20-2017, 09:24 PM
That's a bummer....but for the young man as a high level recruit it would be hard to say no to UCLA with all the press L.Ball received going there.

The kids from Torrance.....just wish Pepperdine had a Slim Gym to pick off some of this So Cal talent once in while.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Hurts more as it underlines the preternatural recruiting power of the really big blue chips even vs a program that is a NC runner up or F4 participant, something with which Butler and George Mason and VCU are familiar. Though I place GU way above those programs at the same after glow F4 point.

TexasZagFan
04-21-2017, 05:16 AM
Hurts more as it underlines the preternatural recruiting power of the really big blue chips even vs a program that is a NC runner up or F4 participant, something with which Butler and George Mason and VCU are familiar. Though I place GU way above those programs at the same after glow F4 point.

I hear ya Jazz, but I don't think that's ever really going to change. Is he likely to be a one and done at UCLA? Zach Collins was a rarity for us, I think our bread and butter will be two-and-dones as we progress: Sabonis, Tillie, Rui, Nigel (I'm including his transfer year on campus).

Spokane's a long way from SoCal, too.

Ezag
04-21-2017, 08:33 AM
We will not be able to get 99% of these types of 5-star players, not necessarily because of who we are but because these guys want to play in big conferences and go to big name schools. GU needs to continue to focus on what makes us successful, finding diamonds internationally, getting transfers which fit our system and recruiting solid 3-4 star players from H.S here in the U.S. I would rather have a team built on chemistry than a bunch of one and dunners.

mattydog73
04-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Singleton not a one and done. Coaches just had an in-home with him and gave it to him straight I am sure. GU is a family and you will likely come off the bench as a freshman. I am certain UCLA didn't really have to say much beyond "would you like to come to UCLA?"

Like others have said, the Staff spent a lot of time on him. Perhaps he and his family should have just said upfront, we like you but if UCLA offers we will take it on the spot. Ah well, he can play for a program that assembles talent and not a team.

TexasZagFan
04-21-2017, 09:30 AM
We will not be able to get 99% of these types of 5-star players, not necessarily because of who we are but because these guys want to play in big conferences and go to big name schools. GU needs to continue to focus on what makes us successful, finding diamonds internationally, getting transfers which fit our system and recruiting solid 3-4 star players from H.S here in the U.S. I would rather have a team built on chemistry than a bunch of one and dunners.

GU has definitely become a place for those interested in basketball AND education. No disrespect intended to most other places, where you don't see the emphasis on academics. I'm as proud of our guys' academic performances as I am of their success on the court.

I was never a great student, I enjoyed the "Gonzaga experience" perhaps a bit too much. However, I'm as proud of the "B" I earned in a senior philosophy class (professor Fr. Gerry Kohls) as any A I ever earned in other classes. I learned a lot about myself in that class, in addition to the topics we covered.

cggonzaga
04-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Singleton not a one and done. Coaches just had an in-home with him and gave it to him straight I am sure. GU is a family and you will likely come off the bench as a freshman. I am certain UCLA didn't really have to say much beyond "would you like to come to UCLA?"

Like others have said, the Staff spent a lot of time on him. Perhaps he and his family should have just said upfront, we like you but if UCLA offers we will take it on the spot. Ah well, he can play for a program that assembles talent and not a team.

Agreed he's not a one and done. I'd be surprised if he wasn't there all 4 years.

MDABE80
04-21-2017, 11:01 AM
GU has definitely become a place for those interested in basketball AND education. No disrespect intended to most other places, where you don't see the emphasis on academics. I'm as proud of our guys' academic performances as I am of their success on the court.

I was never a great student, I enjoyed the "Gonzaga experience" perhaps a bit too much. However, I'm as proud of the "B" I earned in a senior philosophy class (professor Fr. Gerry Kohls) as any A I ever earned in other classes. I learned a lot about myself in that class, in addition to the topics we covered.

Love Fr Kohls. Amazing guy. Hope he's still up and running.

TexasZagFan
04-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Love Fr Kohls. Amazing guy. Hope he's still up and running.

Sorry Abe, he passed away in 2002. I looked in my PM's, but I must have deleted a message I received awhile back. Apparently, he left the priesthood and got married. Hope someone can chime in, even though it's off-topic.

I took his philosophy class fall semester, senior year. An amazing experience: 14 students, 12 were studying for the priesthood. I worked my tail off in that class, but it was a worthwhile experience. It helped me appreciate the real value of GU's core curriculum.

CDC84
04-21-2017, 11:51 AM

First of all, the vast majority of 5-star players are not one and doners. In fact, some one and doners are 4 star guys like Zach Collins. People forget that despite making the Burger Boy team, Zach wasn't as highly ranked at rivals.com and a few other places as Austin Daye was. Zach was in the 50's at some places.

Secondly, I think 99% has come down a bit since GU's run to the national title game. But that remains to be seen. But should we expect a UCLA/Kansas/Duke transformation?? Of course not.

But I feel very strongly that the GU staff should be recruiting the best stateside prospects that they can right now at a time when their program brand name is huge. They can do it without compromising the program. You know, Singleton was being recruited by Penn and some other Ivy Leaguers. He's a student-athlete. If he makes the jump to the pros after 2-3 years, I have no issue with it. Bill Gates left Harvard for Microsoft before he graduated. His success certainly didn't damage the name of Harvard.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2017, 12:16 PM
If he turned down Harvard for Westwood then he ain't that bright.

kitzbuel
04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Or maybe just didn't want to pay for it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

CDC84
04-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Last time I checked, a degree from UCLA ain't chump change.

And, as we all know, recruits choose teams based on weather :)

jazzdelmar
Or maybe just didn't want to pay for it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Know nothing of the young man's finances, but Harvard covers full tuition for any whose family makes under $125,000 a year. In addition, the Ivies have creative ways to cobble together aid packages that are tantamount to full athletic scholarships at other colleges.

jazzdelmar
Last time I checked, a degree from UCLA ain't chump change.

And, as we all know, recruits choose teams based on weather :)

Not even close. Apples and lobster fra diavolo

TexasZagFan
04-21-2017, 12:49 PM

Weather's a lot better in Westwood, jazz. That's a long way from home, too.