PDA

View Full Version : 3 to 4 Open Schollies-- A Little Late in the Game?

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 07:25 PM
With the departure of NWG, we not have at least 3 open scholarships, maybe 4 if Ryan leaves. It is a bit late in the recruiting game, as a lot of the top talent is already signed or have their final 3 to 5. Are you guys concerned about the late scholarship openings? Excited at the possibility? I cant imagine the staff thought they would be in this position in later April where 3 spots were still open.

If we can somehow get two grad transfers out of (crawford, travis, brown) or others i am missing, and 1 or 2 sit out transfers (Jeter, Dickerson..) I think we would be in GREAT SHAPE. We have a ton of talent (unproven, but very talented) on the roster right now. I count 9 guys right now who maybe could contribute. I see the possibility of another scoring guard added and more beef inside. Larsen could be great, but i would love to see another proven big brought in. Jeter or Dickerson can fill the void left by JWIII next year.

With 3 open schollies at least, 1) are you worried its later on in the game, and 2) what is your wish list for filling the open spots?

maynard g krebs
04-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Travis would be perfect.

But I think the team is fine as is, assuming Rui takes the leap Few predicts and Jones can contribute, there are 10 guys now that can play. Think they can be very selective w/ transfers and a couple that need to RS a year would be fine.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Travis would be perfect.

But I think the team is fine as is, assuming Rui takes the leap Few predicts and Jones can contribute, there are 10 guys now that can play. Think they can be very selective w/ transfers and a couple that need to RS a year would be fine.

3 biggest offseason story lines for me:

1) Can Josh take the reigns as PG and be a more consistent ball handler
2) Does RUI take the leap we have seen from many Zags from their Fresh to Soph years
3) Can Larsen get healthy enough and back to the point the Zags coaching staff was praising him at last summer

dhozagfan08
04-18-2017, 08:03 PM
All I can think about is getting a grad transfer center. We need an experienced big man. Everything else is just extra.

JPtheBeasta
04-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Any JUCO guys on the radar?

gonzagafan62
04-18-2017, 08:22 PM
I hoping for:

1. Grad transfer big man
2. Elijah brown
3. Chase Jeter
4. Jeremy jones on scholarship

Zagdawg
04-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Don't see anything too exciting here.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100

Zagdawg
04-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Grad transfers as of today:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/4/18/15293782/college-basketball-transfers-2017-18-the-best-grad-players-available

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Grad transfers as of today:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/4/18/15293782/college-basketball-transfers-2017-18-the-best-grad-players-available

So 0 guys i see over 6'8 Zags caliber

Zagdawg
04-18-2017, 08:42 PM
I hope Tommy has something up his sleeve (under the radar).

http://www.eurobasket.com/Top-Prospects/basketball.asp

http://www.eurohopes.com/

Zagdawg
04-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Not a lot still out there in 2017 in the United States.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mohamed-Bamba-76118

http://247sports.com/Player/Jeremiah-Tilmon-38160

http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Brown-29405

http://247sports.com/Player/Sandro-Mamukelashvili-46036438

JAGzag
04-19-2017, 02:12 AM
3 biggest offseason story lines for me:

1) Can Josh take the reigns as PG and be a more consistent ball handler
2) Does RUI take the leap we have seen from many Zags from their Fresh to Soph years
3) Can Larsen get healthy enough and back to the point the Zags coaching staff was praising him at last summer

Rui heading home won't help his development or that jump, I'm afraid. It seems with every kid that plays a summer with their national team they lose time with the trainers focusing on getting ready. I know it was just part of landing him but suspect the staff are a little more disappointed with his departure giving the holes they need to fill.

WallaWallaZag
04-19-2017, 03:40 AM
Rui heading home won't help his development or that jump, I'm afraid. It seems with every kid that plays a summer with their national team they lose time with the trainers focusing on getting ready. I know it was just part of landing him but suspect the staff are a little more disappointed with his departure giving the holes they need to fill.

not sure it's such a big deal with rui...he's picked up a lot over his year at gu and he needs the opportunity to put what he's learned to use in actual games. it will be good for him to be "the man" again as well...does hurt a little in the assimilation process.

GoZags
04-19-2017, 04:58 AM

At this point in their respective recruiting cycles nobody on this board had ever heard of Ronny Turiaf or Elias Harris.

TexasZagFan
04-19-2017, 05:47 AM
At this point in their respective recruiting cycles nobody on this board had ever heard of Ronny Turiaf or Elias Harris.

GZ's way of trying to get some posters off the ledge. A warning: GZ's patience is finite:

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder282/67518282.jpg

Reborn
04-19-2017, 06:47 AM
Am I counting wrong. I see 4 maybe 5 open scholarships: Karnowski, Mathews, Collins, NWG, and Edawrds would make it 5?

GoZags
04-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Am I counting wrong. I see 4 maybe 5 open scholarships: Karnowski, Mathews, Collins, NWG, and Edawrds would make it 5?

Karnowski's and Mathew's scholarships aren't "open" ... they're spoken for by Jesse Wade and Corey Kispert.

Zagdawg
04-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Has there been an official announcement with Edwards that I missed -- I heard he was just thinking about calling it.

ZagsObserver
04-19-2017, 07:07 AM
No to JUCO. Please no to last minute knee-jerk additions. I'm sure the coaches expected this outcome (except, perhaps, for the Collins departure until a few months ago).

GoZags
04-19-2017, 07:10 AM
No to JUCO. Please no to last minute knee-jerk additions. I'm sure the coaches expected this outcome (except, perhaps, for the Collins departure until a few months ago).

There will be no "knee-jerk" reactions.

One thing that most likely will happen (I'd put it in ink rather than pencil) is '17/'18 rotation member Jeremy Jones being on scholarship. Both the scholarship AND the place in the rotation .... in ink.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Alberts has also expressed a desire to transfer using the grad transfer rules. If Edwards and Alberts both leave, that would be six total departures. Two of those scholarships will go to Wade and Kispert. That leaves up to four openings.

willandi
04-19-2017, 07:23 AM

Karnowski's and Mathew's scholarships aren't "open" ... they're spoken for by Jesse Wade and Corey Kispert.

Alberts is transferring so that is another.

The list of grad transfers available has most of the centers at 6'8". Rui is that height with a 7'2" wingspan. He played center on the Japanese team. Maybe he could slide back there. Play a box and 1 on defense, with him guarding the paint, and down low to floating the arc on offense.

Hoopaholic
04-19-2017, 07:24 AM

One thing that most likely will happen (I'd put it in ink rather than pencil) is '17/'18 rotation member Jeremy Jones being on scholarship. Both the scholarship AND the place in the rotation .... in ink.

Me too on Jones..........really excited to see him step up his game over summer and early next year

North Idaho Zag
04-19-2017, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a grad transfer center (if one were to be found) and a traditional transfer or maybe two that had to redshirt, but I really hope we do not bring in a G.T. guard. We have a plethora of talent, albeit young, that will be looking for minutes next year at the 1-3 and my feeling is that to bring in a one year player which will force someone waiting in the wings out of the rotation is a mistake.
I realize my preferences are old fashioned, but I really prefer watching players that commit to our program for more than one year. Sure, it's a different story when you have a true position of need, ie: 3 spot last year, center next year, but we have great potential in the 1-3 next year and I would hate to cause disgruntlement in the ranks. I would rather have a year of our current guards really learning the ropes, Wade under Perk, Zach under Melson, and preparing them better for the future than to sit them in favor of a "one and done". And I just don't see Wade (age) or Kispert (I truly think he is ready) redshirting.
The way I look at it our top 9 next year looks like this:

Pg- Perkins / Wade
Sg- Melson / Norvelle
Sf- Rui / Kispert
Pf- Williams / Tillie
C- Larsen

So add a transfer C and you are up to 10. Seeing as Few seems to prefer smaller rotations than that, we still will be short on minutes for our up and coming talent.

hooter73
04-19-2017, 08:16 AM
We have theee forwards and no real center... that's more than we had with sabonis and wiltjer. We'll be fine.

GoZags
04-19-2017, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a grad transfer center (if one were to be found) and a traditional transfer or maybe two that had to redshirt, but I really hope we do not bring in a G.T. guard. We have a plethora of talent, albeit young, that will be looking for minutes next year at the 1-3 and my feeling is that to bring in a one year player which will force someone waiting in the wings out of the rotation is a mistake.
I realize my preferences are old fashioned, but I really prefer watching players that commit to our program for more than one year. Sure, it's a different story when you have a true position of need, ie: 3 spot last year, center next year, but we have great potential in the 1-3 next year and I would hate to cause disgruntlement in the ranks. I would rather have a year of our current guards really learning the ropes, Wade under Perk, Zach under Melson, and preparing them better for the future than to sit them in favor of a "one and done". And I just don't see Wade (age) or Kispert (I truly think he is ready) redshirting.
The way I look at it our top 9 next year looks like this:

Pg- Perkins / Wade
Sg- Melson / Norvelle
Sf- Rui / Kispert
Pf- Williams / Tillie
C- Larsen

So add a transfer C and you are up to 10. Seeing as Few seems to prefer smaller rotations than that, we still will be short on minutes for our up and coming talent.

I think next year's "star" (i.e. Tillie) will start alongside Williams. And don't be surprised if '17/'18 is the last year we'll be enjoying Killian in a Gonzaga uniform.

Zagceo
04-19-2017, 08:54 AM
I think next year's "star" (i.e. Tillie) will start alongside Williams. And don't be surprised if '17/'18 is the last year we'll be enjoying Killian in a Gonzaga uniform.

Good ....don't have to worry about Tillie getting hired by some rich Euro team this Summer. -D

Just wondering......was it those big mitts of Rui that busted Tillies hand?

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2017, 09:01 AM
We have theee forwards and no real center... that's more than we had with sabonis and wiltjer. We'll be fine.

Larsen is a real center

hooter73
04-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Larsen is a real center

Euro center means American power forward... except for Shem. What I mean is traditional back to the basket big 260lb guys aren't in vogue anymore and that's fine.

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Euro center means American power forward... except for Shem. What I mean is traditional back to the basket big 260lb guys aren't in vogue anymore and that's fine.

You just described Larsen

cggonzaga
04-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Interesting GZ. I know you have it on good advice this will be the case but I'm still curious about this. Assuming Rui plays the 3, we'd be looking at a 7 player 1-3 rotation. Even if Rui played the 4 we're still looking at a 6 player 1-3 rotation. Neither seems likely so what gives? Wade or Kispert thinking about redshirting?

hooter73
04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
You just described Larsen

Didn't realize that was his type of play. Disregard me then.

Malastein
04-19-2017, 05:03 PM

Completely agree that his game will explode next season, but I think we could still see him staying through his junior season a la Ammo. If he hadn't broken his hand, I think we'd be punch drunk about an undefeated national championship team right now.

btzag
04-19-2017, 05:35 PM
I think Williams is going to average a double/double next year.

Hoopaholic
04-19-2017, 05:58 PM
I think Williams is going to average a double/double next year.

Oh yea count me in my n this projection

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Didn't realize that was his type of play. Disregard me then.

Yeah he's actually fairly similar to Karnowski. He's not the typical Euro that you're talking about, that is more of a stretch four, he's a true center.

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Oh yea count me in my n this projection

Me too. I think 15 and 10 is very reasonable for him.

Hoopaholic
04-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Yeah he's actually fairly similar to Karnowski. He's not the typical Euro that you're talking about, that is more of a stretch four, he's a true center.

The small sample I have seen is he quicker of the ground than Shem but not as quick as Collins was

More range than Shem but not as polished on block

Excited to see his growth in his overall game

willandi
04-19-2017, 07:35 PM
The small sample I have seen is he quicker of the ground than Shem but not as quick as Collins was

At least in his RS year, he was able to work some. Shem had to crawl, then walk, then run and became the best Center in College Basketball. If Larsen can be talked about in anything close to the same terms. he is very promising.

TravelinZag
04-19-2017, 11:51 PM

Hit the nail on the head, Zagdawg. How many rabbits can we expect beleaguered Tommy to pull from the hat on short notice? His past performances have been marvelous, but we sure need another miracle or two. Will cheer crazily when he does it yet again!

WallaWallaZag
04-20-2017, 12:56 AM

i hope people don't try and compare him to karnowski just because he's also a back to the basket guy...shem's sheer size/mass wreaked havoc on both "o" and "d" for opposing teams...larsen won't have that built in advantage...also, karno's passing ability was unique to college basketball so can't expect that from larsen either.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-20-2017, 01:46 AM

From the limited sample size I've seen, he reminds me more of Axel Dench than Karnowski. I agree that he is a true center, but he is more mobile than the Shem.