PDA

View Full Version : Scout 2018 Top 150 Updated

Zags_Fanatic
04-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Scout has updated the 2018 Top 150 with a lot of very familiar names in the Top 100. Looks like the Zags have a legitimate shot at 4-5 in the Top 60, here's to hoping that last season will stick out to these top shelf recruits.

Here is the full list:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2018-basketball-prospects?minimumInterest=Low

And here is the list filtered to show the 15 players that Scout is reporting that Gonzaga is pursuing (can drop Devin Culp off, he is going to play football at UW).

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2018-basketball-prospects?team=Gonzaga&minimumInterest=Low

amaronizag
04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Battin is the ONLY center on the list Scout says GU is showing interest in, and he doesn't list GU as a school of interest. I can only believe Tommy has another center prospect lined up over seas. We need a top shelf backup center, even if Edwards is staying.

TexasZagFan
04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks for posting, ZF!

maynard g krebs
04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
First I've seen of Kevin Porter Jr (Rainier Beach) listing the Zags, and he's made a big jump from the 50's to 29 in Scout's rankings. I would love to see him join the Zags, and with his style of play I believe there's a shot that he would. Strong 6'5 guard, lefty, that can handle the ball, pass, shoot, and has some creative moves to the hoop. Scores a lot for Beach because he's their best player, but you can see he has good court awareness and is a willing and capable passer/playmaker

Saw him play v Garfield at UW last month and was (a bit) more impressed w/ him overall than w/ Garfield's Nowell/Davis. IMO has some similarities to Norvell.

scott257
04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Battin is the ONLY center on the list Scout says GU is showing interest in, and he doesn't list GU as a school of interest. I can only believe Tommy has another center prospect lined up over seas. We need a top shelf backup center, even if Edwards is staying.

This list shows 2018 kids, Edwards will graduate before they can play.

sittingon50
04-18-2017, 11:04 AM
First I've seen of Kevin Porter Jr (Rainier Beach) listing the Zags, and he's made a big jump from the 50's to 29 in Scout's rankings. I would love to see him join the Zags, and with his style of play I believe there's a shot that he would. Strong 6'5 guard, lefty, that can handle the ball, pass, shoot, and has some creative moves to the hoop. Scores a lot for Beach because he's their best player, but you can see he has good court awareness and is a willing and capable passer/playmaker

Saw him play v Garfield at UW last month and was (a bit) more impressed w/ him overall than w/ Garfield's Nowell/Davis. IMO has some similarities to Norvell.

Really curious to see what start's happening with the Seattle kids:

1. Stay @ home with the huskies & a new regime?
2. Follow Romar to Arizona?
3. Give the Bulldogs more of a sniff than in the past?

amaronizag
04-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Scout said --"This list shows 2018 kids, Edwards will graduate before they can play.
Duh, what was I thinking!!?? Thanks for straightening me out scout. Hopefully we'll fill the backup center spot THIS year so it won't be an issue next year.

maynard g krebs
04-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Scout shows high interest in UW; medium for GU, Oregon, UCLA. Might not be updated since Romar's firing.

Zags_Fanatic
04-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Scout shows high interest in UW; medium for GU, Oregon, UCLA. Might not be updated since Romar's firing.

Nowell recommitting to UW today and showing confidence in Coach Hopkins is likely to be the first domino leading to more Seattle area Husky commitments.

sittingon50
04-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks for posting, ZF!

+1

seacatfan
04-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Nowell recommitting to UW today and showing confidence in Coach Hopkins is likely to be the first domino leading to more Seattle area Husky commitments.

Although they weren't as highly rated, Hopkins quickly got commits from local kids Michael Carter III and Nate Pryor. Having Dollar and Conroy on the staff probably helps, links to Romar's glory days at UW.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Isnt he Michael Porters brother? I assume he is Mizzou bound with his dad? No?

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2017, 08:49 PM

How are they brothers and both juniors? LOL Unless their actual last name is Porter Junior. LOL

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 08:52 PM
How are they brothers and both juniors? LOL Unless their actual last name is Porter Junior. LOL

Maybe i am wrong? Are they not brothers?

maynard g krebs
04-18-2017, 09:19 PM

Michael Porter's brother is Jontay, 6'9 240 pf. They played for Nathan Hale. Yes, Jontay will go to Missouri in the pay Dad for play scheme originated by Romar and picked up by Cuonzo Martin.

Kevin Porter, 6'5 guard of Rainier Beach is unrelated to those Porters as far as I know.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Michael Porter's brother is Jontay, 6'9 240 pf. They played for Nathan Hale. Yes, Jontay will go to Missouri in the pay Dad for play scheme originated by Romar and picked up by Cuonzo Martin.

Kevin Porter, 6'5 guard of Rainier Beach is unrelated to those Porters as far as I know.

Thanks!

demian
04-18-2017, 09:36 PM

I will never forget something a friend of mine told me about 3 years ago. My friend was an old school dude. He was a longtime AAU Coach. He was from Tacoma. He had a very legit son who was a basketball player at Foss HS (graduated 2015), he was piped in pretty good to the seattle AAU scene. He flat out told me (and I couldn't believe it) = "my son and all his other friends from Seattle and Tacoma who are good ballplayers don't even consider Gonzaga AT ALL. They actually consider Seattle U WAY WAY more than they would ever consider Gonzaga because they feel like Gonzaga doesn't recruit in the hood." My friend has since passed on and is no longer with us. But I love him for his honesty. I tried to argue with him all the time on this issue in my defense of Gonzaga and my friend just flat out wouldn't listen to me. He loved Romar and UW and I tried telling him forever that UW was horrible compared to Gonzaga in hoops and he just wouldn't have anything to do with it. My friend was starting to become a believer this season when Gonzaga killed UW and beat Arizona. My friend died SUDDENLY in february and I wish we could have shared some more good convesations in late March early April about Gonzaga making it to final 4, he was a good friend that he would have rooted for Gonzaga just to support me and would have been proud of them.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 09:38 PM
I will never forget something a friend of mine told me about 3 years ago. My friend was an old school dude. He was a longtime AAU Coach. He was from Tacoma. He had a very legit son who was a basketball player at Foss HS (graduated 2015), he was piped in pretty good to the seattle AAU scene. He flat out told me (and I couldn't believe it) = "my son and all his other friends from Seattle and Tacoma who are good ballplayers don't even consider Gonzaga AT ALL. They actually consider Seattle U WAY WAY more than they would ever consider Gonzaga because they feel like Gonzaga doesn't recruit in the hood." My friend has since passed on and is no longer with us. But I love him for his honesty. I tried to argue with him all the time on this issue in my defense of Gonzaga and my friend just flat out wouldn't listen to me. He loved Romar and UW and I tried telling him forever that UW was horrible compared to Gonzaga in hoops and he just wouldn't have anything to do with it. My friend was starting to become a believer this season when Gonzaga killed UW and beat Arizona. My friend died SUDDENLY in february and I wish we could have shared some more good convesations in late March early April about Gonzaga making it to final 4, he was a good friend that he would have rooted for Gonzaga just to support me and would have been proud of them.

Sorry about your loss demian. I have heard a similar sentiment before but it was from a UW fan.

demian
04-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Sorry about your loss demian. I have heard a similar sentiment before but it was from a UW fan.

Hey thanks man for the condolences zagsfanforlife. Yeah my friend and I had some REALLY HEATED arguments about this lol haha. That is interesting that you have heard similar sentiment from UW fans. I explained to my friend = "Gonzaga recruited ALL OF THOSE GREAT HUSKIES, Brandon Roy and Nate Robinson, Marcus Williams (Louisville), not to mention John Brockman but they didn't commit. So what was Gonzaga supposed to do keep banging there head against a brick wall and keep recruiting an area that the kids keep saying NO."? Oh man we would argue so much about this. He was cool though cuz he said = " man I really wish Gonzagag would recruit the hood because I am Catholic also and I want our kids to go to a good Catholic school but Gonzaga just doesn't seem to want to come to the hood for some of these kids." It was a really good healthy discussion. I wish he and I could still be carrying on that discussion as recruiting season 2017 is in prime time and 2018 recruiting is in high gear also.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Hey thanks man for the condolences zagsfanforlife. Yeah my friend and I had some REALLY HEATED arguments about this lol haha. That is interesting that you have heard similar sentiment from UW fans. I explained to my friend = "Gonzaga recruited ALL OF THOSE GREAT HUSKIES, Brandon Roy and Nate Robinson, Marcus Williams (Louisville), not to mention John Brockman but they didn't commit. So what was Gonzaga supposed to do keep banging there head against a brick wall and keep recruiting an area that the kids keep saying NO."? Oh man we would argue so much about this. He was cool though cuz he said = " man I really wish Gonzagag would recruit the hood because I am Catholic also and I want our kids to go to a good Catholic school but Gonzaga just doesn't seem to want to come to the hood for some of these kids." It was a really good healthy discussion. I wish he and I could still be carrying on that discussion as recruiting season 2017 is in prime time and 2018 recruiting is in high gear also.

Haha sounds like fun conversation man. My UW buddy sounds just like your friend. Would say the same-- "GU scared to go into the hood to get the brothas".. something along those lines. Not sure if there is any truth at all.. i mean Zach N. wasnt necessarily from the nices places it doesnt seem like.. and i am sure there are others who came from tougher neighborhoods?

demian
04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Haha sounds like fun conversation man. My UW buddy sounds just like your friend. Would say the same-- "GU scared to go into the hood to get the brothas".. something along those lines. Not sure if there is any truth at all.. i mean Zach N. wasnt necessarily from the nices places it doesnt seem like.. and i am sure there are others who came from tougher neighborhoods?

I tried to mention to my friend that Jeremy Pargo was from the Englewood neighborhood on south side of Chicago (which I have actually been to Englewood, Illinois and btw it is HORRIBLE) and my friend said to me (keep in mind my friend grew up in the 60's in Compton) = "Oh man Demian are you kidding me south side Chicago is NOTHING like COMPTON or some of the other hoods, so I don't think that is comparable." I told my friend = I have been to South Chicago, I have been to old Cabrini Green in Chicago and I tried to tell my friend = I don't give a crap where you think your hood is, but those areas in Chicago I CAN GUARANTEE YOUR FROM FIRST HAND INFO ALSO THEY ARE AS BAD AS ANY SEATTLE NEIGHBORHOOD OR ANYTHING ON THE WEST COAST. Oh well. Onward and Upward

Ezag
04-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Wow Arizona is killing it.

seacatfan
04-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Hey demian, Marcus Williams went to Arizona. Terence Williams from the same class went to Louisville. Seattle area was LOADED that year.

And Brockman ain't from no hood! Snohomish. That's pretty rural.

WallaWallaZag
04-18-2017, 11:57 PM
gary bell is probably the closest to the 'hood that gu has been...bainbridge certainly isn't.

what area is kispert from and is king's a city school???

demian
04-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Hey demian, Marcus Williams went to Arizona. Terence Williams from the same class went to Louisville. Seattle area was LOADED that year.

And Brockman ain't from no hood! Snohomish. That's pretty rural.

lol I know Brockman wasn't from the hood, it was just another mention to my friend that ALOT of the Seattle area kids hood or no hood DO NOT COMMIT to GU even tho GU recruited them

CDC84
04-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Keep in mind that Hopkins has Dollar on the staff. I believe Will Conroy is still there as well. Those guys will be there everyday, working on the locals. I don't expect a ton of change. Mike Hopkins has a ton of respect throughout the coaching world and in recruiting circles. I suspect a school like Arizona might be able to pick off some more inner city Seattle kids (they did in the past under Lute), but Gonzaga? Forget it. As Bud Withers commented recently (and as he talked about extensively in his book), the inner city Seattle kids are trained to avoid Gonzaga at all costs coming out of HS. Gonzaga could win two national titles and it won't change. As Tommy said in Withers' book, they aren't going to bust their hump over it when they can get comparable players elsewhere.

David Singleton is a name to keep an eye on. GU wants him badly. Obviously, having Melson on the roster helps with recruiting Hepa.

Free article right now on Cherry:

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1771654-taeshon-cherry-breaks-down-gonzaga-interest

After focusing on his junior season, recruiting is definitely starting to become a talking point for the family.

“I think for us, we are just asking a lot of deeper questions,” admitted Darnell. “And it’s not just about basketball, but how he would fit in socially and academically. I think our focus, and our questions, are a little more detailed so we can make an informed decision. We have to ask these tough questions, because he is our first son and we want him comfortable with those things I was talking about. We are also spending the time getting to know the coaches on a bit more personal of a level.”

Gonzaga has been one of the schools recruiting Taeshon the hardest, and this past season certainly caught his eye.

“It’s the family atmosphere and the way they play,” Cherry said of what stands out about the Zags. “I love the way that Coach Few coaches and how he uses his players. I watched them a lot this year. Like a lot. The way they used their stretch 4’s, that’s how I want to play, and it’s cool how Coach Few uses them.”

For Darnell, seeing Gonzaga play for a National Championship was a moment he felt was coming for the program.

“I was happy for all of those guys to break through, because there are a lot of Monday Morning QB’s in all sports. I don’t think people really take into consideration how tough it is to even win a conference championship. I was just happy for Coach Few and the whole program, because we know how much winning they have done. For them to get an opportunity to play for a championship was deserved.”

As they outline the schedule for visits, there are some key things that Taeshon will be looking at when it comes time to make a decision.

“Academics is a major one,” the priority recruit said. “I want to go to a place where I can fit in and be part of a family. I also want to go to a place where I can be successful on the court and that can help me reach my goal of getting to the next level, which is the NBA.”

seacatfan
04-19-2017, 09:13 AM
gary bell is probably the closest to the 'hood that gu has been...bainbridge certainly isn't.

Kings is a private school in Shoreline, at the very north edge of King County. It's a couple blocks from my house. Definitely NOT the hood. It's on the campus of Crista and is kind of park like.

seacatfan
04-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Keep in mind that Hopkins has Dollar on the staff. I believe Will Conroy is still there as well. Those guys will be there everyday, working on the locals. I don't expect a ton of change. Mike Hopkins has a ton of respect throughout the coaching world and in recruiting circles. I suspect a school like Arizona might be able to pick off some more inner city Seattle kids than usual, but Gonzaga? Forget it. As Bud Withers commented recently (and as he talked about extensively in his book), the inner city Seattle kids are trained to avoid Gonzaga at all costs coming out of HS. Gonzaga could win two national titles and it won't change. As Tommy said in Withers' book, they aren't going to bust their hump over it when they can get comparable players elsewhere.

Arizona used to get players out of greater Seattle area semi-regularly, but it's been quite a while (Dickerson, Terry, Marcus Williams off the top of my head).

Hopkins made some good choices w/ his staff. You are correct about Conroy. Between him and Dollar they are kind of a bridge to the early days of Romar's tenure at UW when they had things rolling.

DukeSilver
04-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Keep in mind that Hopkins has Dollar on the staff. I believe Will Conroy is still there as well. Those guys will be there everyday, working on the locals. I don't expect a ton of change. Mike Hopkins has a ton of respect throughout the coaching world and in recruiting circles. I suspect a school like Arizona might be able to pick off some more inner city Seattle kids than usual, but Gonzaga? Forget it. As Bud Withers commented recently (and as he talked about extensively in his book), the inner city Seattle kids are trained to avoid Gonzaga at all costs coming out of HS. Gonzaga could win two national titles and it won't change. As Tommy said in Withers' book, they aren't going to bust their hump over it when they can get comparable players elsewhere.

This kind of attitude is madness ... Securing a recruiting presence in Seattle basketball circles is crucial to the long-term stability of Gonzaga Basketball. We can bring in great players from Europe now, but what if Tommy moves on? What about when Few retires? The one thing that doesn't change with coaching turnover is geography, and we need to leverage our rise as the best basketball program in the state to gain a solid foothold in Western Washington recruiting.

Seattle kids "trained" to stay away from GU? Must not have gotten through to all those recent UW players who also visited GU - Murray, Thybulle, Davis, etc. We're clearly on their radar, just have to be able to close the deal. And if there are influential circles in the Seattle basketball community in which GU is regarded poorly, and that's what is pushing these kids to stay and play at UW, then it's obviously worth our staff's time to try and break those perceptions. Lots of talented kids come out of Seattle every year, some of them *should* cross the state and play at GU. Writing them off as a lost cause for ever and always is completely absurd.

cjm720
04-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Gray went to Bainbridge. Gary went to school in Kent.

ZagsGoZags
04-19-2017, 09:41 AM
I tried to mention to my friend that Jeremy Pargo was from the Englewood neighborhood on south side of Chicago (which I have actually been to Englewood, Illinois and btw it is HORRIBLE) and my friend said to me (keep in mind my friend grew up in the 60's in Compton) = "Oh man Demian are you kidding me south side Chicago is NOTHING like COMPTON or some of the other hoods, so I don't think that is comparable." I told my friend = I have been to South Chicago, I have been to old Cabrini Green in Chicago and I tried to tell my friend = I don't give a crap where you think your hood is, but those areas in Chicago I CAN GUARANTEE YOUR FROM FIRST HAND INFO ALSO THEY ARE AS BAD AS ANY SEATTLE NEIGHBORHOOD OR ANYTHING ON THE WEST COAST. Oh well. Onward and Upward

don't leave out Oakland-Richmond area, where Jason Kidd and Gary Payton are from, that's a tough neighborhood too.
Don't know exactly how to rank the toughness of the hoods,
high school murders per capita?

seacatfan
04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Wow Arizona is killing it.

They just got a verbal from Shaq's kid. Expect a lot of face time for Shaq-fu during Arizona games starting in '18.

seacatfan
04-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Gray went to Bainbridge. Gary went to school in Kent.

And Gray was originally from Irondale, out in the sticks on the Olympic Peninsula. Spent his last 2 years of HS at Bainbridge.

TexasZagFan
04-19-2017, 09:48 AM
This kind of attitude is madness ... Securing a recruiting presence in Seattle basketball circles is crucial to the long-term stability of Gonzaga Basketball. We can bring in great players from Europe now, but what if Tommy moves on? What about when Few retires? The one thing that doesn't change with coaching turnover is geography, and we need to leverage our rise as the best basketball program in the state to gain a solid foothold in Western Washington recruiting.

Seattle kids "trained" to stay away from GU? Must not have gotten through to all those recent UW players who also visited GU - Murray, Thybulle, Davis, etc. We're clearly on their radar, just have to be able to close the deal. And if there are influential circles in the Seattle basketball community in which GU is regarded poorly, and that's what is pushing these kids to stay and play at UW, then it's obviously worth our staff's time to try and break those perceptions. Lots of talented kids come out of Seattle every year, some of them *should* cross the state and play at GU. Writing them off as a lost cause for ever and always is completely absurd.

With a few exceptions, Seattle has had little impact on the Zags' success over the past 20 years. I'll leave it up to GoZags and others that are in the Pac NW to explain, as I haven't set foot on campus in over 15 years.

I don't think Few's retiring for another decade. Even if he did, Tommy Lloyd is the coach-in-waiting. The staff hasn't "written off" Seattle, they just don't mine fool's gold.

Zagceo
04-19-2017, 09:49 AM
don't leave out Oakland-Richmond area, where Jason Kidd and Gary Payton are from, that's a tough neighborhood too.
Don't know exactly how to rank the toughness of the hoods,
high school murders per capita?

Zach Norvell played at Simeon in Chicago

toughest of the tough....ever watch the doc called Benji (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benji_(2012_film))?

CDC84
04-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Again, read Bud Withers, who knows a lot more about this than we do. He's not "madness." He wrote recently that even with the final 4 run, Gonzaga is likely wasting its time recruiting inner city Seattle kids. Obviously, throw out a line and see if someone bites, but the staff shouldn't be spending tons and tons of time chasing after kids who are no better than what Tommy can get in France or Few might get stateside.

The kids can visit all they want, but its where they commit that matters. The pressure to stay or go to a Pac 12 school or Louisville ends up getting to them.

I completely disagree that securing inner city Seattle is vital to GU's endurance as a program. Again, read Bud's book. GU has been able manage well without it. What did these kids ever do for UW? Everyone wants to hammer Romar, but it's partly the players fault as well. The exception for me, of course, was Brandon Roy, who came dang close to choosing Gonzaga, and whose style of play would've fit in wonderfully at GU. I mean, imagine a 2004/2005 lineup of Raivio, Roy, Morrison, Batista and Turiaf. Awesome to think about.

MDABE80
04-19-2017, 10:27 AM
"Securing a recruiting presence in Seattle basketball circles is crucial to the long-term stability of Gonzaga Basketball." Says Duke.
NO it's not now nor has it ever been. We'd like the better players from the other side of the mountains but, obviously given the results over the years, those kids haven't helped Romar and they surely haven't helped GU. UW loses WITH them and we win without them. They are a luxury.

Zagceo
04-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Shaq's son commits to Arizona (http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting/2017/4/19/15354632/shareef-oneal-commits-to-arizona-wildcats-shaq-son-2018-recruiting-highlights-akot-ayton-tucson)

CDC84
04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Singleton says he's going to visit Gonzaga in May.

Cherry wants to officially visit Gonzaga as well. San Diego players haven't been easy for GU to land in the past, but the team is at a new level now with this final 4 run. They are facing stiff competition as well to land Cherry. Business as usual.

Zagdawg
04-19-2017, 11:46 AM
June 24/25 is Hoopfest -- the best weekend ever to visit besides during a game or the blue/red scrimmage.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2017, 11:51 AM
As to Seattle- it's a tight knit community in basketball, and guys like Roy, Conroy, Robinson are the elders these kids look up to. There was a story 2 years ago that after he announced his transfer, NWG showed up for a pickup game at Green Lake or UW and the guys wouldn't even let him play. Told him to go play in Spokane.

If true- no reason to believe it isn't- that's what GU is up against in Seattle, at least the Metro League. Most of those kids don't want to be pariahs at home.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Kentridge (Bell) is a nice suburban school.

DukeSilver
04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
"Securing a recruiting presence in Seattle basketball circles is crucial to the long-term stability of Gonzaga Basketball." Says Duke.
NO it's not now nor has it ever been. We'd like the better players from the other side of the mountains but, obviously given the results over the years, those kids haven't helped Romar and they surely haven't helped GU. UW loses WITH them and we win without them. They are a luxury.

If you don't think that GU would have been better with some of the Seattle players that have gone through UW in the last decade, you're out of your mind. Even narrowing it down to players that have had GU firmly on their radar, you find some names that *clearly* could have improved GU's squads at the time they were playing for UW.

The simple fact is that our coaching staff will not be here forever, and there is no guarantee that Tommy will wait in the wings until Few retires. If Tommy leaves, does our European pipeline remain as fruitful as it has been for the last decade? Truthfully, it's hard to say. But a recruiting pipeline based more on geographic proximity - i.e. becoming a major recruiting force in Washington state, including Seattle - is far more likely to survive inevitable coaching turnover. This is what I mean by "long-term stability". Think past the Few era and imagine how Gonzaga basketball can remain a major force. Recruiting well locally will be crucial. If there was ever a time to start laying the foundation, it's now.

DukeSilver
04-19-2017, 12:09 PM
The kids can visit all they want, but its where they commit that matters. The pressure to stay or go to a Pac 12 school or Louisville ends up getting to them.

The fact that they're visiting shows how far we've come - before they wouldn't even consider us, now we're making their final lists. The more successful the program becomes, the harder it will be to ignore. Sooner or later, we'll start picking up commitments, just have to keep at it.

I completely disagree that securing inner city Seattle is vital to GU's endurance as a program [...] GU has been able manage well without it.

When making long-term plans, it's usually intelligent to take stock of what things that have been true in the past might not hold true in the future. I detailed my thoughts on this in another post, but we've been able to make up for our deficiencies in local recruiting by maintaining a solid pipeline of international players and having great coaching that maximizes the talent of the players we do get. Both those things could potentially go away if we lose Tommy before Few retires - completely within the realm of possibility, plans for the future of the program should be constructed with that understanding.

75Zag
04-19-2017, 12:10 PM
It is not a mystery to me as to why Rainier Beach kids are not particularly interested in moving to Spokane for 4 years. Here is what I learned from Wikipedia (some of the data is a bit old, but it still makes my point)

Spokane Demographics: 84.00% White, 5.00% Hispanics and Latinos, 3.80% biracial, 2.50% Asian, 2.20% African American, 1.80% Native American, 0.60% Pacific Islander and 0.10% from other races

Rainier Beach High School Demographics: 59.8% of enrolled students were African American, 24.4% were Asian, 9.4% were Hispanic, 5% were White and 1.4% were Native American. It is the only high school in the state of Washington where African-American students account for the majority of the student body.

As a 60+ year old white guy from Central Washington who was raised in the civil rights era by parents and teachers and counselors and pastors who taught me that people cannot be judged or segregated by race and every person has exactly the same value, I would like to think that every person of every race, creed or color will be welcomed and celebrated and comfortable anywhere and everywhere in the USA. But back here in the real world, I can understand why Spokane is not the dream destination for Rainier Beach grads. Maybe someday, but apparently not today.

Go Bulldogs!

Hoopaholic
04-19-2017, 12:16 PM
It is not a mystery to me as to why Rainier Beach kids are not particularly interested in moving to Spokane for 4 years. Here is what I learned from Wikipedia (some of the data is a bit old, but it still makes my point)

Spokane Demographics: 84.00% White, 5.00% Hispanics and Latinos, 3.80% biracial, 2.50% Asian, 2.20% African American, 1.80% Native American, 0.60% Pacific Islander and 0.10% from other races

Rainier Beach High School Demographics: 59.8% of enrolled students were African American, 24.4% were Asian, 9.4% were Hispanic, 5% were White and 1.4% were Native American. It is the only high school in the state of Washington where African-American students account for the majority of the student body.

As a 60+ year old white guy from Central Washington who was raised in the civil rights era by parents and teachers and counselors and pastors who taught me that people cannot be judged or segregated by race and every person has exactly the same value, I would like to think that every person of every race, creed or color will be welcomed and celebrated and comfortable anywhere and everywhere in the USA. But back here in the real world, I can understand why Spokane is not the dream destination for Rainier Beach grads. Maybe someday, but apparently not today.

Go Bulldogs!

hmmm thought there was more than RB in the kingco/seattle area (sarcasm alert)

I would give my two cents (probably closer to a penny) view based upon coaching in the Seattle region for many years....... academics, expectations and accountability, style of basketball (team concept, specific roles and duties, 2 sides to the court expectations) are a few of what I think are pivot points for coming to Gonzaga or staying at a UW type of atmosphere

CDC84
04-19-2017, 12:22 PM
DukeSilver - I am really serious, have you read Bud's book yet? If you haven't, you should. We're talking about USBWA Hall of Fame writer here. Bud is one of the most highly respected sports journalists in the biz. For one thing, it's his best book on Gonzaga yet. Stuff that I didn't even know.....like how Boone Pickens at OSU tried to get Few. Anyway, he explains from a completely objective perspective why GU has almost insurmountable odds recruiting inner city Seattle on a consistent basis. It's not that they will never land a player from there, but it will never be a program staple.

Bogozags
04-19-2017, 12:22 PM
hmmm thought there was more than RB in the kingco/seattle area (sarcasm alert)

I would give my two cents (probably closer to a penny) view based upon coaching in the Seattle region for many years....... academics, expectations and accountability, style of basketball (team concept, specific roles and duties, 2 sides to the court expectations) are a few of what I think are pivot points for coming to Gonzaga or staying at a UW type of atmosphere

Hoop, once again I find myself agreeing with you completely and with NO reservations in the least!!!

If I am not mistaken most of the players on GU's team have been BLACK so it can't be a racial thing...

TexasZagFan
04-19-2017, 12:24 PM
If you don't think that GU would have been better with some of the Seattle players that have gone through UW in the last decade, you're out of your mind. Even narrowing it down to players that have had GU firmly on their radar, you find some names that *clearly* could have improved GU's squads at the time they were playing for UW.

The simple fact is that our coaching staff will not be here forever, and there is no guarantee that Tommy will wait in the wings until Few retires. If Tommy leaves, does our European pipeline remain as fruitful as it has been for the last decade? Truthfully, it's hard to say. But a recruiting pipeline based more on geographic proximity - i.e. becoming a major recruiting force in Washington state, including Seattle - is far more likely to survive inevitable coaching turnover. This is what I mean by "long-term stability". Think past the Few era and imagine how Gonzaga basketball can remain a major force. Recruiting well locally will be crucial. If there was ever a time to start laying the foundation, it's now.

The foundation has been set, and the well has been drilled deep. When Few retires, and if Tommy Lloyd is gone, there's at least a half dozen candidates that went through the program here, and embrace its values: Michaelson, Bankhead, to name just two.

Once Volkar is complete, our facilities will be akin to those at the bluebloods. Apply any moniker you wish, "Guard U", "Transfer U", "UN U"...the Zag way is to do it all. The staff figures out a way to get it done, and it's not dependent on a couple of coaches. It's a philosophy, a way of life that Zag alums understand. It's about the tightest community I've ever been associated with.

Very few of those Seattle studs would be happy here anyway. Success stories like Dickau and NWG occurred because winning was more important to these players than personal stats. And then there's the matter of maintaining academic standards, specifically excelling in the classroom. No disrespect to the Seattle studs, but their dreams are focused on the next level, nothing wrong with that.

Only a select few are cut out to be Zags, young me that really want to be here. Why waste your time on young men that could take the Zags or leave them?

CDC84
04-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Another thing....don't make the mistake of confusing the recruiting of inner city Seattle with the recruiting of inner city kids from other cities who are not necessarily conditioned from early on to go to a specific university.

CDC84
04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Another thing about David Singleton.....he's supposed to be a top notch student.

TexasZagFan
04-19-2017, 12:32 PM
DukeSilver - I am really serious, have you read Bud's book yet? If you haven't, you should. We're talking about USBWA Hall of Fame writer here. Bud is one of the most highly respected sports journalists in the biz. For one thing, it's his best book on Gonzaga yet. Stuff that I didn't even know.....like how Boone Pickens at OSU tried to get Few. Anyway, he explains from a completely objective perspective why GU has almost insurmountable odds recruiting inner city Seattle on a consistent basis. It's not that they will never land a player from there, but it will never be a program staple.

I've got both of Bud's Zag books, excellent reads, great info. I thought his analysis on the Seattle situation made perfect sense.

I'm not sure we have a "program staple" when it comes to recruiting, save perhaps for international players. We get a high schooler or two a year, a transfer or two a year, a grad transfer or two a year, and somehow the staff molds them all into Zags.

Gonzdb8
04-19-2017, 12:33 PM
If I am not mistaken most of the players on GU's team have been BLACK so it can't be a racial thing...

sigh....

TexasZagFan
04-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Another thing....don't make the mistake of confusing the recruiting of inner city Seattle with the recruiting of inner city kids from other cities who are not necessarily conditioned from early on to go to a specific university.

It's well documented that UW has a big hold on Seattle kids. Now that Romar's gone, maybe that will change.

CDC84
04-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Maybe so. Maybe Cameron Dollar will have to resort to his offseason, Clarkston-pizzeria style recruiting tactics in Seattle to make sure to win the hometown kids over :)

Keep in mind.....Romar has a lot of recruiting connections besides just Seattle. So Cal for instance. I think Sean's hiring of him was a brilliant move because it will allow Sean to work more on "the team" and pass on some of the recruiting responsibilities to Lorenzo.

WallaWallaZag
04-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Kentridge (Bell) is a nice suburban school.

i know...just meant that kent as an area (at least parts of it i've been through) has more semblance to the "hood" than bainbridge...

webspinnre
04-21-2017, 07:43 AM
Maybe so. Maybe Cameron Dollar will have to resort to his offseason, Clarkston-pizzeria style recruiting tactics in Seattle to make sure to win the hometown kids over :)

Keep in mind.....Romar has a lot of recruiting connections besides just Seattle. So Cal for instance. I think Sean's hiring of him was a brilliant move because it will allow Sean to work more on "the team" and pass on some of the recruiting responsibilities to Lorenzo.

I agree that this is a great hire for UA. Romar may not have been a great on-the-court coach, but he's definitely a great recruiter - putting him in an assistant role at a top basketball school seems like the perfect fit.