• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malastein
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Thoughts on how to fairly fix the NBA's early entry process

While I think most would agree that Zach Collins would be better off developing for another season at Gonzaga, it's important to recognize that there are individuals such as LeBron James who were able to contribute at a high level directly out of high school. I don't think the one and done rule does any favors to either the players like Markelle Fultz and Ben Simmons or the numerous players who aren't quite ready like Zach Collins. What I would love to see implemented is some sort of basketball committee that would approve players wishing to enter the NBA out of high school to allow the top end talent to be able to go directly. This prevents a lot of players who simply weren't ready to enter the league, and became washed up after their first or second contract. If a player is declined early entry by the committee then they must spend at least 2 years in college, but can declare after both their sophomore and junior seasons in order to receive feedback. This creates a culture where being a serious student matters, but it also allows more protection for players who may in fact be better off finishing their degree.
    The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.
  • maynard g krebs
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Seems like such a committee would wind up getting sued on a regular basis. I like the baseball model; everybody's free to declare out of HS, but if you go to college you're not eligible for the draft for 3 (maybe 2?) years.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
      While I think most would agree that Zach Collins would be better off developing for another season at Gonzaga, it's important to recognize that there are individuals such as LeBron James who were able to contribute at a high level directly out of high school. I don't think the one and done rule does any favors to either the players like Markelle Fultz and Ben Simmons or the numerous players who aren't quite ready like Zach Collins. What I would love to see implemented is some sort of basketball committee that would approve players wishing to enter the NBA out of high school to allow the top end talent to be able to go directly. This prevents a lot of players who simply weren't ready to enter the league, and became washed up after their first or second contract. If a player is declined early entry by the committee then they must spend at least 2 years in college, but can declare after both their sophomore and junior seasons in order to receive feedback. This creates a culture where being a serious student matters, but it also allows more protection for players who may in fact be better off finishing their degree.
      Um....... so you want some sort of arbitrary committee deciding who can and cannot choose to enter a specific workforce? I really don't know what to say. By the way it is the NBA that put this rule in place, no one else.

I mean your entire premise is predicated upon the idea that other people know what's best for the individual. I'm 100% against this notion in every way shape and form.

Comment

• 23dpg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
        Seems like such a committee would wind up getting sued on a regular basis. I like the baseball model; everybody's free to declare out of HS, but if you go to college you're not eligible for the draft for 3 (maybe 2?) years.
        This!
        Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I think people should be free to do what they want including going straight to the NBA out of high school. I see no reason why they should have to wait 1, 2, 3, or 4 years to go to the NBA if a team in the NBA wants them now.
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

It should be gone. If Zach gets drafted. He's ready. It's about fulfilling a dream and getting paid at this point.
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Hoopaholic
              • Mar 2008

If nba does not wan to align like MLB
              Why can't NCAA do 2 year contractual scholarships?
              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                I think people should be free to do what they want including going straight to the NBA out of high school. I see no reason why they should have to wait 1, 2, 3, or 4 years to go to the NBA if a team in the NBA wants them now.
                Yup. If they want to go, let 'em go. It will improve the college game. The kids who do play college ball would try hard to make their own chance.
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Exactly. 18 years old = free to choose your own career path....NBA needs to stop preventing young men from doing so.
                  Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• ZAG 4 LIFE
                    Kennel Club
                    • Nov 2014

The Baseball model is very sound... would love to see that happen
                    With hoops... but not holding my breath.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
                      The Baseball model is very sound... would love to see that happen
                      With hoops... but not holding my breath.
                      Baseball model won't work. NBA has D-League while baseball has 100's of Single "A", "AA" and "AAA" teams.

If memory serves me correctly the NBA changed the 18 rule because they had a large number of HS graduates who "thought" they were ready or were told they were "ready" and then they did not get drafted or make a NBA team, but because they signed with an agent, they could not go to college to improve their skills. Having the kids go one year to college at least gives them some high-level coaching and the chance to improve their level of play.

After watching the Ben Simmons story, the 19-year rule is really a joke. Simmons only went to classes to maintain is eligibility (barely) and he did not even sign up for the 2nd semester because LSU did not make the tournament. He did not want to go to school and only did so because he had too. I do not think this was the intention of the 1-year college rule. Some people think the colleges take advantage of the 18-year olds under today's system but the agents took advantage of the 18-year olds under the old system. The kids were taken advantage of, it just changed who took advantage of them.

Let's be real, just because a player is drafted in the lottery or in the first round does not mean they would not benefit (sometimes greatly) from an additional year (or two) of collegiate coaching. Zach Collins certainly would benefit. However, the improvement in draft position and the associated salary increase is may not be worth the risk of injury. There is nothing wrong with this position, it is what works for him. The NBA frequently drafts on potential, see Adam Morrison. He never lived up to his potential, but he made a very good living from the NBA and from overseas. Absolutely nothing wrong with his decision. With today's rookie contracts, a lottery player could be set for life if he invested his 1st contract wisely (frequently does not happen). For the majority of 18 year old kids, most are not equipped to handle the realities of 7-figure contracts, the behavior expected from an NBA player, or the realities of living oversees. Some are, most are not. IMO, the one and done does not really benefit the player or the NBA.

Consider allowing the 18-year olds to play in the NBA. If they don't make the NBA allow them to play in the "D"-League with each year in the "D" league equalling one year of college eligibility. If you do elect to go college, then require a minimum of a 2-years before you can be eligible for the NBA (and the "D"-League).

Sorry, I am not a fan of the one and done rule. It may be the method for best performance year in and year out, but it does little to do with college athletics. If you want to go directly to the Pros, then do so. If you want to go to college, then be a college student/athlete. Using the colleges as a graduate level AAU team is not my cup of tea and anything we can do to limit this process would be an improvement.

ZagDad

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I'm not sure why people think that going to college for another year would be more beneficial than going professional. At college you are limited in how much coaching you can get. You have to attend classes and do homework. When you become a professional you can work full time on your game. You have the best coaching. You play against the best competition.
                        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Zagceo
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

So funny reading about people trying to fix "their" problem with one and done.

its America...it's called Freedom .....get over it....IMHO of course.

Comment

• zag944
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                            If memory serves me correctly the NBA changed the 18 rule because they had a large number of HS graduates who "thought" they were ready or were told they were "ready" and then they did not get drafted or make a NBA team, but because they signed with an agent, they could not go to college to improve their skills. Having the kids go one year to college at least gives them some high-level coaching and the chance to improve their level of play.
                            This is the perception but I think there were actually very few for whom this is the case. Mark Cuban had a quote:

"I just think there's a lot more kids that get ruined coming out early or going to school trying to be developed to come out early than actually make it," Cuban said. "For every Kobe (Bryant) or (Kevin) Garnett or Carmelo (Anthony) or LeBron (James), there's 100 Lenny Cookes."

....but when you look at the numbers, there is probably a Hall of Famer for every "Lenny Cooke". Further, many of the so-called busts had long and profitable careers...others had careers cut short by injury, something that can happen to anybody.

Putting no research into this whatsoever, I'd guess their success rate is probably better than or comparable to say, college juniors and seniors that went over the 1995 through 2005 period (Garnett to the age limit), if only because of the blatantly obvious talent and potential that these guys had.

I think the NBA was suffering a big image problem at the time and this was put there to help out perception a little bit. I think the dress code rules and the crack down on anything that could potentially start a fight happened at roughly the same time.

Comment

• GeorgiaZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2007

I agree ...

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                              I think the baseball model works very well and is good for the player as well as the sport! If a player is NOT ready right out of high school they have options...go to Europe, go to a 4 year college (with 3 year committment, can't be drafted until after junior year) go to a junior college and try again next year, or have the NBA further develop their NBDL and play there.

This one and done crap is bad for the player and bad for the sport! Kids like Fultz and Ben Simmons from last year don't even have to attend classes after January 1 ...which gives teams that have an abundance of 1 and done players an advantage.
                              It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Comment

Working...
                              X